Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Princess of LanLing King 《兰陵王妃》 - Andy Chen Yi, Zhang Hanyun, Peng Guanying

The newest trailer cleared up many plot queries i had before. I was ok with the story in the trailer until it got to the supernatural part ... then it lost me! What's with the green stone? And why are they destroying the world?

The war and political subplots looks great. The sets look grand and the costumes look detailed. But the hairstyles.... some look over the top and awkward. All the guys look good with their hair up but not too sure about it when they have their hair down. Peter Ho looks kind of out of place with his armour and wind strewn hair.

The Cgi bits look strange at times. Maybe they played with the colours and contrast too much and it gives out a cosplay impression. Its like the colours are too bright to be true and is kind of distracting.

I will give this series a go. I'll watch it for the war/politics scenes, if not for Gilbert.

Anyone know when it's coming out?

Does anyone have any news about this series? Is it in production hell or did it not pass SARFT?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

The main girl is not very convincing... I think she is not pretty enough... Maybe I am just too picky but I don't think she matches the main role. I kind of don't like it when Korean came to act with Chinese... Their acting are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by nerine92 View Post
    The main girl is not very convincing... I think she is not pretty enough... Maybe I am just too picky but I don't think she matches the main role. I kind of don't like it when Korean came to act with Chinese... Their acting are weird.
    She's not Korean.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    The newest trailer cleared up many plot queries i had before. I was ok with the story in the trailer until it got to the supernatural part ... then it lost me! What's with the green stone? And why are they destroying the world?

The war and political subplots looks great. The sets look grand and the costumes look detailed. But the hairstyles.... some look over the top and awkward. All the guys look good with their hair up but not too sure about it when they have their hair down. Peter Ho looks kind of out of place with his armour and wind strewn hair.

The Cgi bits look strange at times. Maybe they played with the colours and contrast too much and it gives out a cosplay impression. Its like the colours are too bright to be true and is kind of distracting.

I will give this series a go. I'll watch it for the war/politics scenes, if not for Gilbert.

Anyone know when it's coming out?
    Charbylis!

Its out! Started airing on sept 29! I am off course super upset that its only broadcasts TWICE a week with I think 3 episodes each day?

i have been googling like mad to see if i can find the novel to read up ahead! It's similar to the Feng shao feng's version of Lan Ling Wang ie 2 guys in love with the lead girl (erm...actually thats the basic premise of all shows so no spoiler tag)...however...

click to show/hide spoilers

however...the rest has to have a spoiler tag

unlike Feng shao feng's version where the lead actress only likes lan ling wang, this version seems to show both guys wooing and hurting her (in their own ways) and so I guess her feelings fluctuate until the end...kinda of...am not making sense right?

cos...it has to do with that green stone...

in Lan Ling Wang, xuewu is known as nuwa's descendant and whoever 'has her' will rule the world.

in lan ling wang fei, the lead actress is the last descendant of this tribe whose blood can activate these 3 precious items when combined together can open the 'door' to the hidden palace to retrieve that green stone mirror thingy. apparently anyone who has that mirror can rule the world. so after much trials and tribulations (it kinda feels like a wuxia story at this point with trying to gather all those items and various people fighting for them etc) and other guys falling for the lead actress (well, at least i know there's another 1 at this stage of viewing), the mirror is obtained but the lead actress chooses to give the mirror to Yu Wen Yong and returns to Lan Ling Wang (even though internet forums seem to indicate that she loves Yu Wen Yong right till her death).

btw I gathered these spoilers online but if its true that she loves Yu Wen Yong, why did the author give the title of her novel 'Lan Ling Wang Fei? especially since Lan Ling Wang is known to have married a female by the surname 'zhen' only in his lifetime?

this show is completely messing with my brains/heart...I was hardcore die hard shipper of Feng Shao Feng's Lan Ling Wang pairing with Xue Wu but in this show...I am rooting for Yu Wen Yong!!!

quick go watch and let me know your opinions!

I just finished reading the online novel of 兰陵王妃. if anyone can read the chinese, its quite a good read...except for the ending...it looks like the TV drama has not followed the book that close (ie. the tv drama omitted the time traveling bit) and I sure hope they do not follow the ending!

Quote Originally Posted by yannlc View Post
    Charbylis!

Its out! Started airing on sept 29! I am off course super upset that its only broadcasts TWICE a week with I think 3 episodes each day?

i have been googling like mad to see if i can find the novel to read up ahead! It's similar to the Feng shao feng's version of Lan Ling Wang ie 2 guys in love with the lead girl (erm...actually thats the basic premise of all shows so no spoiler tag)...however...

however...the rest has to have a spoiler tag

unlike Feng shao feng's version where the lead actress only likes lan ling wang, this version seems to show both guys wooing and hurting her (in their own ways) and so I guess her feelings fluctuate until the end...kinda of...am not making sense right?

cos...it has to do with that green stone...

in Lan Ling Wang, xuewu is known as nuwa's descendant and whoever 'has her' will rule the world.

in lan ling wang fei, the lead actress is the last descendant of this tribe whose blood can activate these 3 precious items when combined together can open the 'door' to the hidden palace to retrieve that green stone mirror thingy. apparently anyone who has that mirror can rule the world. so after much trials and tribulations (it kinda feels like a wuxia story at this point with trying to gather all those items and various people fighting for them etc) and other guys falling for the lead actress (well, at least i know there's another 1 at this stage of viewing), the mirror is obtained but the lead actress chooses to give the mirror to Yu Wen Yong and returns to Lan Ling Wang (even though internet forums seem to indicate that she loves Yu Wen Yong right till her death).

btw I gathered these spoilers online but if its true that she loves Yu Wen Yong, why did the author give the title of her novel 'Lan Ling Wang Fei? especially since Lan Ling Wang is known to have married a female by the surname 'zhen' only in his lifetime?

this show is completely messing with my brains/heart...I was hardcore die hard shipper of Feng Shao Feng's Lan Ling Wang pairing with Xue Wu but in this show...I am rooting for Yu Wen Yong!!!

quick go watch and let me know your opinions!
    Hey! Sorry took me a while to get started on this series as I am going to be leaving for a holiday. I managed to get up to ep 4 today and have been busying packing and getting the pups ready. I guess I can manage to keep with one or two eps per night on wifi at the hotel.

So far, I don't think this is a great production and the story is a bit messy in the beginning. But the leads do look cute together. Unfortunately, I have jumped upon the Yong-Suo ship so judging by the title which seems to promote Gong-Lian, I am headed for many tears.

The story is strange as it starts off in the middle of something happening and we know little about the female lead's background when she is shoved right into a head-on political battle between the Yuwen brothers and their cousin from hell, as well as the ongoing military war between two major kingdoms, the Zhou and the Qi.

As you said, there is some fantasy elements or wuxia elements involved, but it is all tangled up into whoever wants to rule and unite China, which at this stage, has been broken up into bits.

Here come the spoliers:
    For centuries, dudes have been trying to break into Emperor Qin Shi Huang's underground tomb which contains some magical devices which gives its welder the power to rule and unite China. But to get in, you need this magical pearl, which can only be activated by the blood of the Duan Mu clan, the architects of this underground tomb.

Duan Mu Ling is either coerced or pressured by her teacher to find this pearl as she is the last living descendants of the Duan Mu's. So she leaves her first love, Lan Ling Wang, which thinks she has died, to marry Yu Wen Yong under an alias Yuan Qing Suo, whose house is rumoured to contain this magical pearl.

I find Yuan Qing Suo's personality quite confusing. She is very cute, but she is very very silly and childish despite being aware of her serious assignment. And after the
    amnesia
    kicks in, she becomes more silly. She knows no martial arts and seems not to be versed in any special skills, yet she survives pretty well.

While I finds Yuan Qing Suo more compatible with Lan Ling Wang in terms of looks (they look heavenly in the white costumes) and height, I enjoy her scenes with Yu Wen Yong more, even when they bicker and you can see that Yu Wen Yong is very patient and lenient with her.

Acting wise, it is pretty much the first I have seen the three leads act so nothing much to comment on as nothing really dramatic has happened to call on acting skills. The three seems to be doing fine. And they actually look young which is good.

Storywise, there is a lot to take in, in terms of character and background. I quite like Luo Yun, which is Lan Ling Wang's fiancee, who seems to be a very generous and very pretty girl as well. But some stuff that happens in the story seems strangely misplaced and unbelievable (like the assassins being discovered because one of them farted, or Lan Ling Wang pushing over a 10 meter solid rock wall.).

Costume-wise, I find the hair accessories looking fake, but overall the costumes are more easy on the eyes than "Lan Ling Wang". The palace looks nice but Yu Wen Yong's house doesn't look grand enough for a prince.

But having finished ep 4, I am still very shocked that
    Lan Ling Wang's mum is sleeping with Yu Wen Yong's evil cousin!
    I am still in shock and need some time to digest it. I did not see that coming.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I just finished reading the online novel of 兰陵王妃. if anyone can read the chinese, its quite a good read...except for the ending...it looks like the TV drama has not followed the book that close (ie. the tv drama omitted the time traveling bit) and I sure hope they do not follow the ending!
    Can you spoil the novel for me? I am interested to know who the main girl really likes and how it actually ends.

thanks
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Hey! Sorry took me a while to get started on this series as I am going to be leaving for a holiday. I managed to get up to ep 4 today and have been busying packing and getting the pups ready. I guess I can manage to keep with one or two eps per night on wifi at the hotel.

So far, I don't think this is a great production and the story is a bit messy in the beginning. But the leads do look cute together. Unfortunately, I have jumped upon the Yong-Suo ship so judging by the title which seems to promote Gong-Lian, I am headed for many tears.

The story is strange as it starts off in the middle of something happening and we know little about the female lead's background when she is shoved right into a head-on political battle between the Yuwen brothers and their cousin from hell, as well as the ongoing military war between two major kingdoms, the Zhou and the Qi.

As you said, there is some fantasy elements or wuxia elements involved, but it is all tangled up into whoever wants to rule and unite China, which at this stage, has been broken up into bits.

Here come the spoliers:
    For centuries, dudes have been trying to break into Emperor Qin Shi Huang's underground tomb which contains some magical devices which gives its welder the power to rule and unite China. But to get in, you need this magical pearl, which can only be activated by the blood of the Duan Mu clan, the architects of this underground tomb.

Duan Mu Ling is either coerced or pressured by her teacher to find this pearl as she is the last living descendants of the Duan Mu's. So she leaves her first love, Lan Ling Wang, which thinks she has died, to marry Yu Wen Yong under an alias Yuan Qing Suo, whose house is rumoured to contain this magical pearl.

I find Yuan Qing Suo's personality quite confusing. She is very cute, but she is very very silly and childish despite being aware of her serious assignment. And after the
    amnesia
    kicks in, she becomes more silly. She knows no martial arts and seems not to be versed in any special skills, yet she survives pretty well.

While I finds Yuan Qing Suo more compatible with Lan Ling Wang in terms of looks (they look heavenly in the white costumes) and height, I enjoy her scenes with Yu Wen Yong more, even when they bicker and you can see that Yu Wen Yong is very patient and lenient with her.

Acting wise, it is pretty much the first I have seen the three leads act so nothing much to comment on as nothing really dramatic has happened to call on acting skills. The three seems to be doing fine. And they actually look young which is good.

Storywise, there is a lot to take in, in terms of character and background. I quite like Luo Yun, which is Lan Ling Wang's fiancee, who seems to be a very generous and very pretty girl as well. But some stuff that happens in the story seems strangely misplaced and unbelievable (like the assassins being discovered because one of them farted, or Lan Ling Wang pushing over a 10 meter solid rock wall.).

Costume-wise, I find the hair accessories looking fake, but overall the costumes are more easy on the eyes than "Lan Ling Wang". The palace looks nice but Yu Wen Yong's house doesn't look grand enough for a prince.

But having finished ep 4, I am still very shocked that
    Lan Ling Wang's mum is sleeping with Yu Wen Yong's evil cousin!
    I am still in shock and need some time to digest it. I did not see that coming.
    pups? am really sorry if it seems like I was bugging you to watch the series...just thought that you were previously interested in the show and wasnt sure if you knew it was out...i kinda stopped coming here cos i thought no one was watching the show and didnt even realised there were were comments! please enjoy your travelling...the show can wait or rather i can wait for comments...

i think the drama's kinda weird at the start because the whole time traveling bit was omitted...but it seems that the screen writer has adapted the show to make it much more interesting than the novel...

agree that the costumes arent over the top. directing's supposedly by a famous HK director...i am actually disappointed with the fight scenes though...its pretty kiddy...

if you are in shock with episode 4, then you will be shocked in episode 9/10...& part of the reason why I am confused with the darn title of the show

we keep getting Lanlingwang's flashbacks which indicated that he and Duan Mu Ling aka Yuan Qing Shuo are childhood lovers, so naturally it looks like she will end up with him.

However in episode 9/10, we are shown flashbacks of Yuwen Yong's past as a kid and it appears that he met her when they were younger too! how they met was hilarious! and it explains his treatment of her...and also her attitude towards Yuwen Yong...after seeing that episode, I think the way she looked at him in episode 1 was kinda interesting...either that I am desperately trying to create my own story for them!

am definitely on the camp of Yuwen Yong - Qingshuo I seem to get all excited whenever Yuwen Yong and Qing shuo are acting together in their scenes...perhaps it has to do with the novel...but i am getting my hopes up in the romance department for these 2
    I love how it's always Yuwen Yong who's the one who demonstrates his love for her. btw there's several erm sexually charged scenes between these two!

i did some reading up on the history and it appears that yuwen yong doesnt like extravagance...and right now yuwen hu is the one in power even though he is the prince...so that perhaps accounts for his nice palace? all i can say is history sucks!

Lan Ling Wang's finance in the novel
    No...She is evil!!
    Last edited by yannlc; 10-11-16 at 04:22 AM.

Default Spoiler Ending from the internet novel

Quote Originally Posted by MysticDust View Post
    Can you spoil the novel for me? I am interested to know who the main girl really likes and how it actually ends.

thanks
    Hi. Apologies for the really late reply. Thought there wasnt any interested for this show and stopped checking back regularly on this forum.

Am happy to spoil the novel for you.

Qingshuo finds out that Yuwen Yong is supposed to marry another lady whom his father had brokered the marriage when they were both babies.

She leaves Yong to go save Lan Ling wang's a$$.

after the fight she tells her hawks to send both Lan Ling Wang and Luo Yun back to Qi. Before she walks off, Lan Ling Wang asks her to be his Wife. but long story short, she tells him he never did love her. that there's someone whom she owes alot and is waiting for her.even if she dies she will return to his side . Lan Ling Wang and Luo Yun both leave.

Qing shuo collapses and reveals her knife wound (given to her by Luo Yun).

while bleeding, she remembers Yuweng yong's face and with tears pouring, she drags herself through the sand towards Zhou. she's too tired to go far. so as she bleds to death, she replays her scenes with Yuwen Yong. which motivates her to continue crawling...and while crawling she's having a conversation with Yuwen Yong...

It ends with a
    'I really wish to return to your side. But who would expect. heart is in Tianshan, while the body grows old in Cangzhou'

I am reading it as she really wants to return to Yuwen Yong's side. Unfortunately, her heart is in Zhou but her body is in Qi.

Do you agree if there's an award for the worse possible ending for a lead female character, this character would win hands down?
    Last edited by yannlc; 10-18-16 at 01:42 AM.

Hey. I am in Perth at the moment, and the spolier tag is hard to use on a mobile so I'll save the spoiler questions til i get back home next week.

I was going to watch this series anyway. I am up to ep 6 now. So i will most likely be able to catch up soon.

Whats with all the evil women in this story? Despite the sadness, i am looking forward to when Empress Ashina turns up since her father's power is one of the main reasons why Yu Wen Yong was able to gain so much during his reign.

The history behind this story is actually quite interesting to read. Everyone is powerhungry and there are many crazy and corrupt rulers so the tide can turn quickly every few years.

I watched this series knowing that it would not be loyal to history, but it is an idol drama and it is doing quite well in the entertaining factor. And i know some fans of the novel arent happy due to the plot change but since the writers have to work around the timetravel ban, the story is quite acceptable.

Quite like Yuwen Yu at the moment. Very gentle though weak man. But Yuwen Yong is gorgeous. Yuwen Hu is actually pretty good looking for his age. Gosh, the Yuwen family are good looking.

Regarding the title, some people tell me that it should be broken two parts to be understood. The novel title is actually “蘭陵皇妃", not “蘭陵王妃"。 So the 皇妃 refers to Yuan Qingsuo being Yuwen Yong's concubine rather than Lan Ling Wang’s as he was only a 王。 But now that the series have changed the title, who knows what will happen?

But i will stay on the Yong-Suo ship even if it sinks. I just really like this couple.

Based on the spoiler, I am sad but yet am satisfied with the ending of the novel.

I was on the Yong-Suo at least a year or 2 ago when I saw the 1st stills then trailers...so totally going into this full of bias.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Hey. I am in Perth at the moment, and the spolier tag is hard to use on a mobile so I'll save the spoiler questions til i get back home next week.

I was going to watch this series anyway. I am up to ep 6 now. So i will most likely be able to catch up soon.

Whats with all the evil women in this story? Despite the sadness, i am looking forward to when Empress Ashina turns up since her father's power is one of the main reasons why Yu Wen Yong was able to gain so much during his reign.

The history behind this story is actually quite interesting to read. Everyone is powerhungry and there are many crazy and corrupt rulers so the tide can turn quickly every few years.

I watched this series knowing that it would not be loyal to history, but it is an idol drama and it is doing quite well in the entertaining factor. And i know some fans of the novel arent happy due to the plot change but since the writers have to work around the timetravel ban, the story is quite acceptable.

Quite like Yuwen Yu at the moment. Very gentle though weak man. But Yuwen Yong is gorgeous. Yuwen Hu is actually pretty good looking for his age. Gosh, the Yuwen family are good looking.

Regarding the title, some people tell me that it should be broken two parts to be understood. The novel title is actually “蘭陵皇妃", not “蘭陵王妃"。 So the 皇妃 refers to Yuan Qingsuo being Yuwen Yong's concubine rather than Lan Ling Wang’s as he was only a 王。 But now that the series have changed the title, who knows what will happen?

But i will stay on the Yong-Suo ship even if it sinks. I just really like this couple.
    i did not realise the title was 蘭陵皇妃 instead! i just googled 蘭陵王妃 and links for the novel appear. hmmm...the titles seem interchangable for the links.

you need to actually type out for the spoiler tag to work on the mobile...

agreed...am so on the yong-suo ship!

hey guys

i have 2 depressing news...

1) it seems like they are only going to show 2 episodes per week, ie we get 1 episode each on thursday and friday...2 episodes per week was bad enough! what are they trying to do? derail the interest in the show?

2) Wang Jie Xi (王洁曦) who plays the character Zheng Luo Yun aka Lan Ling wang's finance pass away last year of cancer.

hey guys

i have 2 depressing news...

1) it seems like they are only going to show 2 episodes per week, ie we get 1 episode each on thursday and friday...2 episodes per week was bad enough! what are they trying to do? derail the interest in the show?

2) Wang Jie Xi (王洁曦) who plays the character Zheng Luo Yun aka Lan Ling wang's finance pass away last year of cancer.
    (1) Mango is crazy. Are they doing this because the show is popular? Its going to talk us four months to finish this series!

(2) That's sad. How old was she? I liked her.

Lol you guys watching this as well. I just picked it up today. I thought it would follow the same plot as the Ariel Lin one from a few years back, and it does...kind off. I'm not invested in anyone yet so haven't picked a team to be on. The lead girl though, she's awfully naive and pretty useless, who runs into a battle like that. I laughed so hard at the fart...so out of place. I feel like this show wants to be half serious, half idol and have Go Go Princess crazy.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Yuwen Yong's phobia is hilarious!

(1) Mango is crazy. Are they doing this because the show is popular? Its going to talk us four months to finish this series!

(2) That's sad. How old was she? I liked her.

(1) i know right! 2 episodes a week! that's pure torture! don't they know that if the interest is high, you should strike while the iron is hot? I mean there's several other new interesting shows coming up this month too!!

(2) age 26. there's a bit more here

Yuwen Yong's phobia is hilarious!
    have you gotten to the part on who gave yuwen yong his phobia? i tell you its much more funnier when you get to that part!

Trailer for Episode 13

Trailer for Episode 14