Thread: JY's Practice of Editing Novels

Default JY's Practice of Editing Novels

One thing that separates JY from other wuxia authors (and authors in other genres) is that he takes the time to go through his novels and make changes. Since the novels were first written over 50 years ago they have gone through three editions, and in many cases each edition has introduced significant changes to the characters and storyline.

For someone like me who doesn't read a lot of books, are there any authors that come to mind who have a similar practice of editing their novels? I can't think of any off the top of my head. The only thing I can think of is a common practice in comics like Marvel and DC where stories are often "retconned" but that isn't really the same thing.

Moreover, is it really a good idea for the author to introduce major changes to the characters and story that readers have loved so dearly over the years? Should the original edition of a novel be held "sacred" such that only inconsistencies or plot holes be fixed while keeping everything else in tact?

All thoughts appreciated.

I sometimes wish that JY would throw all his new ideas into a new novel rather than use them to rewrite his old novels. While in many cases the changes have been for the better, it's all very subjective, and creates confusion. It's almost like he's still trying to live off the glory of his old days rather than try and make something new with the gifts he obviously still possesses.

I like it for the fact we can see the evolution of the author. I understand his desire to have his work contain his most current philosophies. I wonder how many people actually read 3rd edition though. At least on this forum, it would seem very few.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

It's like buying a new album with 1 new song and the rest are classics or classic remixes. I say no thank you to that.
    I usually only read the revised parts in the new novels provided by other people on the internet instead of rereading the entire book. It's hard enough the first time as my Chinese isn't great.
    To answer the question, I don't know any other authors that revise their work like YJ (and thank goodness for that!). I personally do not like how JY changes parts of the original story, it almost feel like he is toying with my feelings. My truth has been altered and when you have a discussion with someone about the story...well, it's already hard enough as it is with different opinions, and now that there are 3 versions, you can never have a conclusive discussion! Doesn't it annoy you when producers remake a JY series and it's different to the previous one and they reply by saying, 'well this remake is based on the new revision, therefore we are not making things up!' =S

I can't comment on execution since I haven't read the actual books of 3rd editions, but most of the modifications sound like improvements to me. Just as his later novels show more maturity than his early works, we are seeing a more mature JY, with more profound understanding of humanity than before, in the latest round of edits.

Quote Originally Posted by devilz91 View Post
    In many cases each edition has introduced significant changes to the characters and storyline.

Moreover, is it really a good idea for the author to introduce major changes to the characters and story that readers have loved so dearly over the years? Should the original edition of a novel be held "sacred" such that only inconsistencies or plot holes be fixed while keeping everything else in tact?

All thoughts appreciated.
    I don't think this is a accurate characterization. The changes that Jin Yong introduced were improvements. The changes made were after carefully ponderings by JY for years and long discussions with his close friends. They are far from unnecessary and they are certainly not major earth shattering changes.

Some editing seems necessary. For example, in DGSD, from a layman's perspective, it is not fair for DY to end only with WYY in earlier editions. It makes him an dishonest person as he knew that he can marry all his "cousins". But, I really do not understand the need for him to marry Xiao Lei and not marring WYY in the latest edition. Ah Bi can take care of MRF.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    But, I really do not understand the need for him to marry Xiao Lei and not marring WYY in the latest edition. Ah Bi can take care of MRF.
    WYY's sudden and full redirection of love to Duan Yu never made any sense to me. It is totally out of character. It makes more sense that she sticks with MRF, her life-long obsession.

Is it fair to say that Wang Chongyang's drinking contest with the 9 yang author was the most contentious change in the 3rd editions? From what I can see, the 2nd editions improved on the 1st in practically all cases, and is the oldest "canon".

My friend hates the character Yang Guo and have said he hopes that JY has a 4th edition of ROCH where Guo Fu instead of chopping off his right arm, instead chops off his manhood and that YG becomes the originator of the Sunflower manual in SPW. That would be 1 hell of a change!

Quote Originally Posted by _Kenny_ View Post
    My friend hates the character Yang Guo and have said he hopes that JY has a 4th edition of ROCH where Guo Fu instead of chopping off his right arm, instead chops off his manhood and that YG becomes the originator of the Sunflower manual in SPW. That would be 1 hell of a change!
    Hahaha. Now that would be a major/significant change indeed
    I am not a big fan of Yang Guo either. Also there are a lot of plots and storylines and characters like Gongsun Zhi, Zhao Zhijing, Zhen Zhibing, Guo Fu, Wu brothers that I just don't like and find really very annoying. ROCH is my least favorite of Jin Yong's work.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    WYY's sudden and full redirection of love to Duan Yu never made any sense to me. It is totally out of character. It makes more sense that she sticks with MRF, her life-long obsession.
    acceptable to me.

Me too. Maybe because I was rooting for Duan Yu and Wang Yu Yan all along and so when it finally happened, I was relieved, and didn't care how illogical it might be. Plus love is blind and it can't be explained by logic!

Me too. I did not find it illogical at all whatsoever, because I didn't think it was sudden. She gradually falls in love with him.