Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 盘龙 - Coiling Dragon, by I Eat Tomatoes (我吃西红柿)UNABRIDGED

Book 2, Growing Up, Chapter 16 Wind-Style Magic

For the academic calendar of the Ernst Institute, every month, the first twenty eight days had classes. Only the last two days were free.

Earth magic classes were taught from 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM in the morning, fire magic was taught from 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM in the afternoon, water magic from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM in the afternoon, wind magic from 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM in the afternoon, lightning magic from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM at night, and light magic from 9:30 PM to 11:30 PM at night.

But since the majority of students were single element, they only had to take two hours of classes a day. Linley was dual-element, which meant each day he had just four hours of classes. But because these classes were on a voluntary basis, if you didnt want to go, no one would force you.

The school of earth magic was divided into six classes, with each class having its own building. New students and first rank magi attended the first grade class, magi of the second rank attended the second grade class, magi of the third rank attended the third grade classand so on, up until the sixth rank who attended the sixth grade class.

Magi of the sixth rank could choose to graduate at any point in time. But naturally, if they elected not to, they could continue to study.

February 10. Within the classroom of first grade classes.

The classroom for first grade earth magic was extremely large, and was capable of seating hundreds of students. Twenty students had already arrived, and Linley selected a seat located relatively in front, sitting down. At 8:00 AM, there were around fifty students present.

I expect only part of the students present are new. I wonder how long the others have spent here. Linley wondered to himself.

After all, for a new student to reach the second rank, usually they would need to train for several years.

Greetings, everyone. An amiable, kindly looking brown-haired middle aged man stood in front of the class. My name is Wendi [Wendi], and I will be your instructor in earth magic. Today, we have approximately twenty new students. So, same as always, first we are going to have our new students introduce themselves, so that we can all get to know each other.

Immediately, one new student after another began to introduce themselves.

My name is Gerhans [Geerhan]. I come from the great grasslands to the far east.

Upon hearing Gerhans self-introduction, Linley was shocked. The students here really do come from all over the Yulan continent. Theres even someone from the great grasslands in the far eastern part of the Yulan continent.

In the great map of the Yulan continent

The Holy Union and the Dark Alliance were located west of the Yulan continents Mountain Range of Magical Beasts. East of the range were the Four Great Empires, but even further east of the empires was a vast grassland, which contained three kingdoms of its own. The distance between the great grasslands and the Ernst Institute was unbelievably great. A one way trip alone would take at least three years!

My name is Linley. Im from the Holy Union. Linley as well walked to the front of the classroom and gave a basic introduction of himself.

After the self-introductions were complete, the earth-style magus Wendi began to brag about earth-style magics power. Only in the second hour of the class did he actually begin to instruct in earth-style magic.

Linley and the group of students just listened quietly. Next to Linley, Doehring Cowart appeared as well.

This fellow has a very solid foundation. Although he isnt very strong, in terms of teaching magi of the first rank, not even magi of the eighth or ninth rank would necessarily be a better teacher. Doehring Cowart nodded as he sighed in praise.

Linley knew a great deal about earth-style magic by now, so listening to the lecture was very easy for him.

But Grandpa Doehring, although his foundation is solid, he isnt able to distill the profound into simple words like you. He seems to make it more complicated. Linley said.

Doehring Cowart laughed self-confidently. Stroking his white beard, he said, Naturally. A Saint-level Grand Magus understanding of magic is far greater than that of a magus of the eighth or ninth rank. The Saint-level is a totally new realm of existence. Naturally, my teachings regarding magic are more profound and point more directly to the underlying nature of magic.

After listening to this class, Linley made a decision.

From today forward, I will only attend the earth magic class once a month. Linley didnt want to waste his time.

Linley had it all planned out. Every day, he would spend some time outside training in magic. As for the place he would do the trainingLinley had already chosen a place, a mountain located right behind the Ernst Institute. Being located near a mountain range, naturally there were many mountains near the Institute.

Four in the afternoon.

Linley was intently listening to the teachings being given in the wind-style magic class.

Greetings, everyone, a handsome, yellow-haired youngster said with a smile. I am a sixth grade student, Trey [Telei]. From today onwards, I will be responsible for teaching you wind-style magic. I live in dorm 0298, so if you have any questions after class ends, you can come find me there.

Sixth grade students, being magi of the sixth rank who could apply for graduation at any time, were fully qualified to teach students of the first or second grades.

Before this, lets all first introduce ourselves. Trey smiled.

This was a basic rule to start off every class for the first time. All of the students gave self-introductions.

Hey, Linley, have you noticed? Theres lots of cute girls amongst the wind-style students. Check it. That little blonde girl just smiled at you. Doehring Cowart, next to Linley, pointed as he spoke. Based on what that little blonde girl just said, her name seems to be Delia [Diliya]. Delia. Such a cute name. Based on my 1300 years of experience, when this little girl grows up, shell be a beauty for sure. Linley, smile at her and build a good foundation. That way, in the future, youll be able to advance the relationship.

Right now, Linley was totally ignoring Doehring Cowart.

Linley was focused on the wind-style magus instructor Trey, and closely listening to Treys teachings.

Wind-style magi are the fastest, most nimble magi in the world. In addition, we are the only magi who can fly before reaching the Saint-level! Treys words and mannerisms all conveyed the love which he felt towards wind magic. Do you wish to use your own power to fly above the skies? To soar in the air and gaze down upon countless mountains? How wonderful the feeling is, and how many people desire it!

The eyes of many of the child who were seated below, listening, began to shine.

Fly?

Who wouldnt want to?

A Saint-level magus can fly, yes, but the Ernst Institute can perhaps produce just one, at most, in a century! But we magi of the wind-style can, upon attaining the fifth rank, immediately execute the Floating Technique. Trey said confidently, And wind-style magi are extremely fast. When they execute the Supersonic technique, they can dramatically increase their speed.

But of course, those are just common techniques. The legendary forbidden technique, Annihilating Tempest, is the most powerful destructive technique of them all. Theres also the legendary forbidden technique, Dimensional Edge, which is the most powerful one-on-one attacking technique. Treys voice was filled with reverence.

Many of the youths stared wide-eyed.

Hmph, how can the Annihilating Tempest be considered the most powerful destructive technique? What about my earth-styles Heaven Collapses, Earth Shatters and Heavenly Meteors Descent? Doehring Cowart, upon hearing these words, was somewhat unhappy.

Grandpa Doehring, what is this Dimensional Edge technique? Linley asked.

Given that Grandpa Doehring had not mentioned the Dimensional Edge spell, Linley believed that perhaps it really was the most powerful one-on-one attacking technique of them all.

The Dimensional Edge spell? It can slice through the dimensional walls which separates matter itself. Of course it is powerful. But although it is ridiculously strong in one-on-one combat, its still only a one shot spell. How can it compare to our earth-styles World Protector, which can battle nonstop with the enemy? Doehring Cowart was quibbling and equivocating.

But Linley could tell.

This Dimensional Edge spell clearly possessed a terrifying power. And most likely, it wasnt as simple as Grandpa Doehring made it out to be. A one-shot technique? Even a one-shot technique could be enough, if the opponent couldnt dodge.

If I can become both a Dragonblood Warrior as well as utilize wind-style magic, then Linleys heart was moved.

And then, he just continued to listen to the class. Linley became more and more intrigued by wind-style magic. Of the four elements of earth, fire, water and wind, each contained profound mysteries which were as deep as the sea. The ocean of magical knowledge was an endless one. And now, Linley had begun to wade into its depths.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 12-11-14 at 02:32 AM.

Book 2, Growing Up, Chapter 17 A Learning Period (part 1)

Spring left and autumn came. In the blink of an eye, Linley had spent half a year at the Ernst Institute.

During those days in school, Linley was like a thirsty man of the desert, frantically drinking up the basic fundamentals to magic. With regards to wind-style magic, Linleys knowledge and strength continued to rise as well, and Doehring Cowart would give him pointers every so often as well.

Today, the sunlight was bright and beautiful.

The four bros of dorm 1987 had just finished lunch. They were wearing a set of sky-blue robes, the school uniform of the Institute. Because of constant physical training, Linley appeared all the more mesmerizing, with his elegant form covered by the sky-blue robes. This was why quite a few of the young girls in the wind magic class liked to chat with Linley.

At this moment, the four bros were walking while chatting idly.

Right, Linley, today the rest of us are going to attend the new students fellowship. Are you going? George chortled.

George loved to participate in student unions and fellowships, and he was excellent in ferreting out news and making new friends. Although he had only been in school for half a year, amongst the first grade students of the Ernst Institute, George had become a mover and a shaker.

Nope. Linleys answer was succinct and direct.

Haha, I knew Linley definitely wouldnt go. Reynolds laughed loudly.

Putting his arm around Linleys shoulders, Yale sighed, Linley, my man, theres no need to be this diligent when it comes to studying. Based on your talent, if you just expend a bit of effort, in thirty years you can easily become a magus of the sixth rank. Why do you have to work so crazy hard? You should learn to relax and enjoy life. Theres a lot of cute girls who will be at the fellowship, you know.

Right. Really cute girls. Reynolds opened his eyes wide and nodded.

Linley could only sigh helplessly.

Under the guidance of the Yale, that innocent youngster, Reynolds, had begun to go astray.

Yale, you pervert, stop tugging at me. Alright, time for me to go train. Tomorrow is the end of the month, Ill hang out with you guys then. Linley laughed. The last two days of each month, Linley let himself take two days break.

Knowing Linleys temperament, Yale, Reynolds, and George all nodded.

Linley immediately walked off, quietly but quickly heading towards the mountains behind the school. There were thousands of students at the Ernst Institute, and there were also many magi who were researching new spells here. There were also many servers. In short, the Ernst Institute was a well-populated place.

On the road to the mountains, many students wearing blue gowns could be seen as well.

Growl A low roar sounded.

Linley turned aside to look, and his eyes brightened. A magical beast!

A flowing mane, slick cyan fur, and four thick, forceful limbs. A pair of eyes filled with wildness, viciousness, and a cold fierceness. Those coldly flashing golden claws made onlookers hearts tremble.

The magical beast, Windwolf.

A terrifying magical beast that moved as fast as the wind itself.

The most terrifying thing one could encounter in a forest of magical beasts was a pack of Windwolves. If you encountered them, based on their speed, there was no way you could escape.

A handsome, black-haired man was seated atop the Windwolf. The young man was staring delightedly around him, seeming to be very proud of having such a fine magical beast.

This should be a magical beast of the fifth or sixth rank, Linley decided.

At the Ernst Institute, there were indeed quite a few people who had magical beasts. Aside from the magi who had been invited to come to the Institute, some fifth and sixth grade students were able to buy soulbinding formation scrolls and had managed to tame some magical beasts to serve as their mounts.

Its just a magical beast. Why be so cocky about it? Linley looked somewhat contemptuously at the self-pleased youngster.

After departing from the school, Linley entered the mountain in the rear.

The mountain behind the Ernst Institute was an extremely wide ranging one. Long, long ago, magical beasts used to live in this mountain, but as time went on, all of the magical beasts were exterminated by the magi of the Institute. By now, there were only a few normal beasts still living here.

Upon entering the mountain, Linleys speed increased dramatically.

He naturally began to use the wind-style Supersonic spell, turning his entire body as light as a leaf. Like a spirit, he wound his way through the mountains. After running for several kilometers, Linley reached his target destination, an empty area next to some flowing water.

Squeak squeak. Bebe chirped at Linley.

Linley chuckled and said, You want to go out and play again? Fine, but dont run off too far. Linley had a lot of faith in Bebe. A year had passed since he had met the little guy, but although Bebe still hadnt grown larger, and was still just twenty centimeters long, his speed had dramatically improved.

Magi? Perhaps a warrior of the eighth rank would be able to catch the little Shadowmouse, but only a Saint-level magus would be able to do the same. Linley knew very well how strong the bodies of most magi were.

The little Shadowmouse, Bebe, scurried into the mountain forests.

Grandpa Doehring, please come out and instruct me. Linley immediately said mentally.

A mist flew out, transforming into Doehring Cowart. Doehring Cowart blinked and glanced at Linley. Linley, whats going on? In the past, havent you always ignored this old fellow and entered the meditative trance first? Why are you calling me out now? I was having a wonderful nap just now, hmph. You ruined my beautiful dream.

Linley quirked his lips.

Although Grandpa Doehring was a Saint-level Grand Magus, after getting to know him, Linley realized that although he looked kindly and amiable on the outside, on the inside, he was a playful scamp.

Grandpa Doehring, I feel like I have reached the level of a magus of the second rank. I want you to take a look and see for yourself. Linley finally said.

A magus of the second rank?

Intrigued, Doehring Cowart ran some calculations. Hmm, right, about a year has passed since you started learning with me. Right, first, perform the introductory spell of Shattered Rocks. Do your absolute best, understood?

Shattered Rocks could be considered a spell which scaled.

There was a Shattered Rocks spell of the first rank, but there was also a Saint-level spell for the Shattered Rocks; only, the name for it was called Heavenly Meteors Descent. Naturally, when the strength of an earth-style magus increased, his power in using the Shattered Rocks would also increase.

Yes, Grandpa Doehring.

Linley immediately began to quietly mouth the words to a spell. The words had long since been memorized by Linley to the point where he could recite them without thinking. As the words to the spell continued, Linley could feel his entire spirit enter a special mode.

The earth-style mageforce in his chest began to roil about, and natural elemental essence began to gather there as well.

Suddenly, the nearby earth began to crack and shatter.

Five skull-sized pieces of rock flew up and began to circle around Linleys head. These five rocks were all covered with earthen specks of light, and as Linleys eyes began to shine, he let out a deep shout. The five rocks rapidly shot off to a far distance, carrying a gust of wind with them.

SMASH!

The five stones covered in earthen light smashed into a thick tree trunk. The tree swayed, but its trunk did not shatter. In the end, the five stones still came tumbling down to the ground.

Yeah, not bad. Doehring Cowarts eyes lit up. To be able to control five stones at once with such impressive speed shows that you do, in fact, have the power of a magus of the second rank. Doehring Cowart was very much satisfied with Linleys performance.

Linley couldnt help but reveal a hint of a smile on his face as well.

He had just taken another step towards his goals.

Linley would never be able to forget the words his father had said to him when he left. If you cannot bring it back, even when I die, I wont forgive you! These words had pierced Linleys heart like a sharp knife, and he was constantly reminded of them.

Right now, Doehring Cowart was chortling happily. But Linley, you must understand that a magus of the second rank counts for little. Based on our ranking systems, magi of the first and second rank are all considered entry-level magi. Magi of the third and fourth ranks are considered mid-level magi, and fifth and sixth ranks are high-level magi. A magus of the seventh rank is called a senior magus, a magus of the eighth rank is a master magus, and a magus of the ninth rank is a grandmaster magus. These ranks of seven through nine are the highest. The road you have to travel is a long way.

I know. Linley nodded.

Good. Train hard. Doehring Cowart once more entered the Coiling Dragon Ring.

Linley collected himself, suppressing his excitement at becoming a magus of the second rank. He once more tranquilled sat and entered the meditative trance. The strong became strong one step at a time and through achieving many accomplishments.

Approximately three kilometers away from Linley.

Linleys wind-style magus instructor, the sixth-ranked magus Trey, frowned. Hmm, the earth magic spell, Shattered Stones? Based on its power, it should be of the second rank. An entry-level magus has come to the mountain to train? Who is it?

Just then, Trey had utilized the Windscout spell, and had sensed the earth-style magic which Linley had just cast.

Based on the magic vibrations, Trey was able to determine what spell it was.

Trey curiously walked in that direction. Based on his prowess as a magus of the sixth rank, his execution of the Supersonic spell was far stronger than that of Linleys. Like a passing fog or cloud, Trey easily and tranquilly flowed through the mountain.

In the blink of an eye, Trey had reached a spot two hundred meters next to Linley.

Standing next to a large tree, Trey saw Linley from afar.

Its him?

Naturally, Trey recognized his own student. This kid called Linley never talks in class. Even when experimenting in new spells, others will try them out, but he will just stand and watch from afar, never showing his strength. It seemsthis kid called Linley is already a magus of the second rank. I remember him being one of our new students. Didnt expect him to be so talented.

Linley already knew how to cast spells, so of course when the instructors told the other students to give it a try, he would just stand and watch.

Never participating in any group activities, Linleys secretiveness was acknowledged by everyone who knew him.

Hehe, looks like I have a genius amongst my students. Mm. Looks like this year, I should receive a reward when the first grade student competition commences. A brilliant smile was on Treys face. As for Linley, right now, being in a meditative trance, he couldnt sense anything more than a hundred meters away from him.

Book 2, Growing Up, Chapter 18 A Learning Period (part 2)

A month had passed after Linley had become a magus of the second rank.

Within the first grade wind magic classroom.

Linley would only go to the earth magic class once every month or so, but he attended every single wind magic class. Today, Linley was seated in his usual spot.

Linley, you came. Just as Linley sat down, a very adorable young lady sat down next to him.

Seeing the girl, Linley smiled. Delia, you came pretty early. Theres still quite some time before the next class starts. Sitting together with a beautiful girl was of course something enjoyable. Naturally, Linley wouldnt push her away.

Delia was no ordinary person.

Her brother, Dixie, was the number one genius of the entire Ernst Institute, and described as a talent which would be found once in a century at most. He, too, was a dual element mage, and his elemental essence affinity was exceptional. But whats more, he was a supreme talent with 68 times the spiritual essence of an ordinary person.

As the sister of Dixie, Delia naturally was pretty exceptional as well.

Its because I know you always come early. Delia beamed, her eyes crinkling.

The two sat together and chatted. Time passed quite quickly, and before they realized it, class had started. Instructor Trey energetically explained in front, and Linley sat beneath him, listening intently. But Delia, every so often, would sneak a peek at Linley.

Alright, todays class is over for now. But before class ends, theres something I must inform you all about. Instructor Trey smiled as he spoke.

All of the students immediately began to buzz.

The older students all know that our Ernst Institute has a tradition. At the last two months of every year, a yearly tournament will be held. The yearly tournament is always the most noisy, energetic time at the Ernst Institute. The students who achieve victory in the yearly tournament will likely have a higher chance of being rated superior upon their graduation. When they graduate, most likely they will be invited by the Four Great Empires. Instructor Trey laughed.

All of the students below immediately began to grow excited.

At the Ernst Institute, talents were as common as the clouds. And the number one problem that all talents shared was that they didnt like to admit inferiority to others!

Thus, the yearly tournament had become a way for talents to become famous. Close to 90% of the students would pay attention to the tournament, and everyone with some ability would participate.

Naturally, we wind magic practitioners will also do battle. Everyone interested in enrolling, please speak to me. Instructor Trey smiled as he spoke, but his gaze drifted towards Linley.

Instructor, I wish to enroll. Many students below immediately began to clamor to enroll.

Great. Instructor Trey took out a duck feather quill pen and began to record down names, but after taking down ten or so names, he realized that Linley was busy chatting with Delia, apparently not interested in enrolling at all.

Trey walked over.

Linley involuntarily glanced up and immediately called out respectfully, Instructor Trey. The nearby Delia also paid her respects.

Trey smiled and nodded. Linley, this yearly tournament is an excellent opportunity to train ones self. I expect all of the elites of the first grade students will attend. Why arent you enrolling? This is a rare opportunity.

Im not interested. Linley said directly.

Instructor Trey couldnt help but start.

Linley, you no doubt are unaware that the victors of the tournament will receive some rewards. Instructor Trey said enticingly.

Rewards? Linley was in desperate need of money.

His clans economic situation was in such terrible shape. If he could win some money, he wouldnt mind attending the yearly tournament.

Right. You should know that most students live in ordinary dorms, those single unit ones. But the top three victors of the tournament are all qualified to live in those two-story high buildings for a year. Thats a proof of status. The rooms are much more comfortable as well. Instructor Trey continued.

Linley understood.

There werent many two-floor dorms, and most of those belonged to powerful magi of the seventh or eighth ranks. From what he was now hearing, the top three students in each grade also were allowed to live in them.

Housing conditions?

Linley didnt care about it at all.

Im not attending. Linley still said.

Instructor Trey grew somewhat impatient. As a sixth grade student, if one of Treys student became one of the top three in his grade, not only he be rewarded, he would also gain a lot of face. Young people all cared about face.

Instructor Trey leaned in towards Linley, saying in a low voice, Linley, are you concerned about revealing your ability? I know that you are a magus of the second rank.

Hearing these words, Linley couldnt help but look up at Trey in surprise.

How did Instructor Trey learn about his current level of power? After all, it was hard to judge ones abilities from external appearances.

Seeing the expression on Linleys face, Instructor Trey thought that he had hit the mark. Laughing, he said, Linley, if you have ability, you shouldnt hide it. Even if you decide not to attend the competition for fear of revealing your ability, I might just decide to expose you myself.

Whatever. Still not going.

Linley stood up unhappily, and then politely paid his respects. Farewell, instructor.

And then, ignoring the stupefied look on Treys face, he immediately left.

Bah. This kid. After recovering, Trey couldnt help but laugh. The nearby Delia couldnt help but cover her mouth and giggle as well.

By the time the wind magic class had ended, it was almost six at night. The sky was growing dark. Linley ran back towards his dorm. The bros of dorm 1987 shared strong affection towards each other, and at night they always ate together.

Linley, youre back. A curly haired youngster from dorm 1986 said warmly to Linley.

Harry [Hali], have you eaten dinner? Linley smiled back in response.

Linley was on excellent relations with most of the nearby neighbors. Harry laughed and nodded. Of course I have. Your three bros are all waiting for you inside.

Linleys back. Lets go, everyone, time to eat! Yales voice sounded out.

Clearly, from inside their dorm, Yale had heard Linleys voice. Yale, Reynolds, and George all walked out and waved to Linley. The four bros proceeded towards the dining areas. The Ernst Institute contained some luxurious restaurants, but after being persuaded by Linley, Reynolds, and George, Yale no longer took them to those places.

The dishes in the small dining hall were simple and fresh, very pleasing to eat.

After ordering some food, the four bros began to chat amongst themselves.

Linley got most of his news regarding the Institutes going-ons from his three bros, as Linley, who spent all his time training in the mountain, probably would be totally in the dark otherwise.

Man, in about a month, the school year is coming to an end. The last two months of each year, the entire Institute will engage in the yearly tournament. The top three students in each grade are all allowed to live in those two-story dorms for a year. Yale said.

The yearly tournaments? Linley began to laugh. He had just heard about this from the classroom.

Haha, Im definitely attending, Reynolds said confidently.

Yale pursed his lips. Punk, you became a magus of the first rank on the road from the OBrien Empire to the Ernst Institute. I wager that by now, you arent too off from becoming the magus of the second rank. That really is unfair.

Reynolds spent a full year traveling from his home to come here.

On the entire journey, Reynolds family housekeeper had been teaching him magic, which is why he had become a magus of the first rank even before the journey ended.

George smiled towards Linley. Hah, you are forgetting about Linley. Linley was a magus of the first rank by the time he entered the Institute as well. Whats more, hes crazy about training, and hes a dual-element magus. I think hes probably the strongest person in our dorm.

Linley quirked his lips in a smile. George, dont flatter me.

Linley, have you gained your second rank yet? Be honest? George stared at Linley.

How could he gain his second rank so quickly? From an introductory student to the first rank, based on our talent, a year is necessary. But from the first rank to the second rank, at least two years is needed. The nearby Reynolds frowned as he spoke.

Not necessarily. I also feel Linleys been really sneaky. Yale also looked at Linley. Linley, have you become a magus of the second rank?

Linley casually nodded.

What was the big deal about becoming a magus of the second rank? Even before the magus testing event, he had already become a magus of the first rank. A full year had passed since then. If he still had not become a magus of the second rank, then all his hard work wouldve been totally pointless.

You really reached it? Yale, Reynolds, and Georges eyes all bulged out. None of them expected it to be true.

Go enlist in the yearly tournament, Linley. Youve gotta take part. Give those guys a good trampling and gain some prestige for dorm 1987. Yale immediately said.

By now, the servers had brought the dishes they ordered.

Eat, eat! Im not interested in the yearly tournament. Linley had no interest in competing with those weaker than himself. Those tournament battles were nothing more than exercises in showing off!

Yale and the other three traded glances.

They all knew how hard Linley trained. Although in their year, there were geniuses who had exceptional levels of elemental affinity and spiritual essence, in terms of being hard-working, none of them could match Linley. And with Linley being dual-elementin their hearts, all of them believed that Linley was most likely the most powerful amongst the first grade students.

It would be such a waste if you didnt participate. Someone else is going to get the glory, once again, in the yearly tournament. Yale mumbled. Too bad Im not strong enough. If I had your strength, Linley, I wouldve given a dazzling display long ago. Then, I would be able to seduce some pretty girls.

Linley laughed. Thats enough. Lets eat. Stop fantasizing.

Linley really didnt care about the yearly tournament in the slightest. But the vast majority of the students at the Ernst Institute were extremely excited about it. And not just the students. Even some of the full magi residing at the Ernst Institute would pay close attention to the tournament results.

Book 2, Growing Up, Chapter 19 Who is Number One? (part 1)

The mountain behind the Ernst Institute, a place of tranquility.

Linley sat cross-legged next to flowing water. Listening to the murmurs of the water, he naturally entered the meditative trance, and all the nearby earth essence and wind essence immediately began to shine. Everything within ten or so meters around Linley became extremely clear to behold.

Earth and wind essence entered his body through his four limbs, as his flesh, bones, and organs all slowly absorbed nourishment from the essences. Slowly but resolutely, the strength of his body was continuing to climb.

Additionally, a large portion of the wind and earth essences, after purification, came to rest with the central dantian in the middle of his chest.

Splash, splash. The flowing water murmured unceasingly.

Next to him, the little Shadowmouse, Bebe, was chewing on a wild duck. The scene was a peaceful as a painting, as though it had come out of a painting.

But while it was peaceful here, the Ernst Institute was extremely rowdy. All of the thousands of students, as well as many of the magi, and even many important people from the outside world were all at the Ernst Institute, watching the various battles.

The yearly tournament.

All of the students of the Ernst Institute were prideful heaven-blessed talents!

Each and every single battle was amazing to behold. Amongst the first grade students, balls of earth, flashes of lightning, and blades of wind flew hither and to. But the battles of the third and fourth grade students were really astounding. Various supportive spells and area of effect spells were used. Spells such as Shattered Rocks now caused dozens, approaching a hundred, of large stones to smash upon the heads of the opponents, and lightning forked down without stopping.

And the fifth and sixth graders? That was all the more terrifying.

All sorts of astounding spells continuously flashed, filling the compound with unending sounds of explosions. The watching students all were all roaring nonstop, as the energy was reaching a crescendo. Virtually all of the people in the Institute were here.

The yearly tournament went on for a bit over a month, which naturally was the wildest, most rowdy month each year at the Ernst Institute. During this frenetic period, Linley would only occasionally watch the battles of the fifth and sixth grade students. All of the rest of his time, he would quietly train by himself.

This tournament actually requires one to not intentionally try and kill ones opponent. How can this sort of competition be considered a real competition, when ones hands and feet are tied?

Under the influence of Doehring Cowart, Linley, too, began to view the competition with disdain.

Linley, your current assignment is to train hard and build up your strength. As far as combat experience goes, when you become a magus of the fifth rank, you should enter the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts and enter a series of genuine life-and-death experiences. Doehring Cowart persuaded Linley.

The Huadeli Hotel, the most expensive hotel and restaurant within the Ernst Institute. Tonight, Yale was hosting the four bros of dorm 1987 to a lavish meal at the Huadeli Hotel.

On the first floor of the Huadeli hotel.

The floor of the hotel was as slick as a mirror. A row of beautiful waitresses stood there politely, ready to answer at a moments notice.

There were many men and women dressed in student attire at the Huadeli Hotel. Those who were able to afford this place were generally those who had strong economic backgrounds. A casual table of dishes might cost a few dozen gold coins. If Linley had come by himself, he definitely wouldnt be able to afford it.

The yearly tournament had just ended, and all of the students at the hotel were discussing it. Most of the people here were youngsters, but one table was filled with four children.

Im pissed just thinking abou this years competition. It was so close! I was so close to entering the semifinals. Maybe I wouldve been able to enter the top three. Reynolds was extremely dissatisfied. Reynolds was the youngest of the four, and also the proudest of them.

Yale laughed. It really was a shame. I didnt expect Rand [Lande] to become number one in the end.

George chuckled but didnt speak.

George was a friendly fellow and offended almost nobody.

Rand? Right. Ive heard you guys discuss him before. He was one of the new students who had exceptional elemental affinity and spiritual essence, right? Linley remembered the name Rand.

George laughed and nodded. Right, him. He has very high talent. Even before training, his spiritual essence had reached the level of a magus of the second rank. All he did this year was accumulate sufficient mageforce. It isnt too hard for someone with the power of a magus of the second rank to become number one in the tournament amongst first grade students.

Relying on his talent alone? When it comes to talent, can he compare to our Institutes number one genius, Dixie? Yale quirked his lips. I look down upon Rand. He won the first grade tournament, so what. Linley, you didnt see how self-satisfied he looked upon winning. I really cant imagine how he would look if he actually were to win the fifth or sixth grade tournaments in the future.

The stronger a magus became, the harder it was to progress even further.

This was why the large majority of students at the Ernst Institute were high-level magi. The higher ones grade was, the more fierce the competition was.

Reynolds nodded as well. I also dont like him. Our schools number one genius, the third grader Dixie, won the third grade tournament. Look at how composed he was! The difference between the two is too huge. Whats more, the strongest amongst us first graders isnt Rand.

Right. Third bro, you didnt participate. If you had, hmph Yale harrumphed.

Based on age and seniority, the four of them had begun to address each other as second bro, third bro, and so on.

Hey, what are you guys saying?

Linley and Yale turned their heads. Four youths in the same hotel were making their way down from the second floor. Their leader, a golden-haired youth, stared at Linleys group coldly.

Yale said loudly, Oh, so its Rand. What, didnt you hear what we were saying?

Linley couldnt help but laugh helplessly to himself.

Yale feared neither heaven nor hell, and cared tremendously about face.

Hmph, dont think I didnt hear, Rand said coldly.

The brown-haired youth next to Rand sneered as well. He arrogantly said, Rand, dont quibble with these four useless things. Its not worth your time. Reynolds, what do you think you are looking at? What, you arent satisfied with the way you lost in the tournament?

Reynolds stared at the brown-haired youth, his mouth quirking in disdain. And what do you think you are? You just got lucky and beat me once. Why so cocky?

The brown-haired youths face grew cold.

George smiled at everyone. Rand, enough. It was wrong of us to so casually discuss you. Lets just forget about it.

Shut your mouth, George. This is none of your business. Rand stared at Yale. Yale, last time I saw you at the Fragrant Elm bar, your arrogant manner pissed me off. And now, this time, you dare to be so arrogant in front of me. If you have the ability, come and fight me. Why dont you have the balls to fight?

After speaking, Rand intentionally laughed mockingly a few times.

Although Yale was somewhat furious, he knew that he wasnt as strong as the opponent.

Immediately, many gazes from all over the hotel focused on this altercation. Many of the high-level students of the Ernst Institute stood up and stared at the two parties with curiosity. Clearly, both parties were just ten year olds.

I know that golden-haired kid. His name is Rand. He won the yearly tournament amongst first graders. I expect in the future, hell have some accomplishments.

The brown-haired kid next to him is called Rickson [Ruisen]. He was number three amongst the first graders. I know him. In terms of strength, Rands party is stronger than their opponents. This should be fun.

The group of magi of the fifth and sixth ranks all chatted and laughed, watching the two parties.

Seeing others notice him, and hearing them praise him as the winner of the first grade tournament, Rands face became even more arrogant, and he looked at Linley and the others even more contemputously.

Hmph. Rand glanced at the table where Linley and the others were sitting. Juice? You guys are still drinking juice? Oh, Yale, I really feel embarassed for you. The four bros of my dorm are all drinking victory wine. You guys are drinking juice?

Seeing how Rand went on endlessly, Linley couldnt help but begin to frown.

Rand, we four bros are eating here. Get the hell out. Linleys face sank down, and he stared coldly at the four of them.

If he was training and was disturbed by beasts, he would immediately kill them.

Oh, and this one. Rands eyes shone as he stared at Linley. How come I never knew that in Yales dorm, there was someone such as you?

Linleys gaze grew cold.

Like a wild rabbit, he shot forward with incredible speed. Rands eyes only had time to widen. You-! Before he could even react, Linley grabbed Rand by the chest and, just based on physical strength, hoisted him in the air.

Wha, uh, uh Rand couldnt make any noises come from his throat, and his eyes were filled with fear.

Linley stared coldly at Rand. Rand, heart filled with fear, felt as though he would be killed at any moment.

At this moment, Linley felt the Dragonblood in his veins begin to blaze, as his bloodthirsty nature began to awaken. Linley couldnt help but frown as he tried to calm down. This is the Ernst Institute. I cant kill someone for no reason.

The three students next to Rand were all stupefied and frightened as well.

Fu ck off!

With the wave of an arm, Linley slammed Rand to the floor, as though he were nothing more than a beanbag.

Book 2, Growing Up, Chapter 20 Who is Number One? (part 2)

By now, Linley had nearly reached the peak of the second rank for warriors. Given that the strength of an ordinary warrior of the first rank was enough to raise a hundred pounds, a warrior of the second rank could casually throw about hundred pound objects.

Youcoughcough Holding his throat, Rand coughed a few times, and then stared furiously at Linley. Youyou actually

Yeah! Yale suddenly shouted loudly, his face filled with excitement. That felt so good. Third bro, I didnt expect you to be as strong as that!

That kid is pretty small, but he is so strong

Those magi of the fifth and sixth ranks were all astonished. There were some magus instructors in the hotel as well, and all of them were staring at Linley with surprise.

A kid who appeared to be perhaps twelve or thirteen years old was able to casually toss a 90 pound man with one hand.

And this youth was a magus!

Hey, Rand, werent you bragging about how you were number one amongst the first graders? Yale mocked.

Rands face went red, as his heart was filled with fury and shame. Staring at Linley, he shouted fiercely, You, are you a magus? If you have the skills, compete with me using magic. What sort of behavior was that? A noble magus actually used the lowly skills of a warrior. Rand was filled with anger and humiliation. He had just won the yearly tournament for the first graders, but just now, when Linley seized him by the throat and hoisted him up, he had been filled with the terrifying sense that his life was in the hands of another.

Right, if you have the skills, compete using magic! Are you even a student of the Ernst Institute? Rands nearby friends immediately called out in support.

But towards Linley, the four of them felt some dread in their hearts. Linleys astonishing display of strength just now had shocked them.

Magic?

Reynolds immediately began to laugh loudly, as he said arrogantly, Rand, do you actually believe that just because you won the first grade tournament, you really are the strongest amongst the first graders? Dream on. The number one first grader is our dorms third bro. You? Step off to the side.

Third bro, showm a bit of your power. Yale urged as well.

George had just been yelled at by Rand, so right now, he was in no mood to give Rang any face either. Rand, let me tell you something. Know your own limits. Many of the experts in our school simply dont deign to participate in the yearly tournament. Dont really believe that you are something special.

Rands face grew uglier and uglier.

Youll know the truth upon dueling. Rand, compete with them. Those fifth and sixth grade students called out laughingly. They viewed the struggles of the first graders as nothing more than an amusing diversion.

Rand was just ten years old, after all, and had been called a genius since he was little.

Even at the Ernst Institute, he was amongst the top tier. When had he ever suffered such humiliation?

Number one? Rand ground out. Number one isnt something that is simply proclaimed. It comes through competition. If you have the ability, then come duel with me. Rand was very confident in his magical ability. After all, he had won the yearly tournament for first graders.

Hey, why isnt the manager of this hotel coming in to calm things down? Some of the onlookers felt surprised and curious about this.

In fact, the Huadeli hotel manager was standing far away, but he didnt want to interfere.

Because he recognized these students.

Even aside from the fact that these were students from the Ernst Institute, based on the status of these students, he didnt want to anger them. EspeciallyYale.

Young master Yale is here? Ugh. Forget it. He can do as he wishes. Even if he smashes the entire hotel, its none of my business. The hotel manager rubbed and shook his head helplessly. He couldnt dare to offend young master Yale.

And upon entering the Ernst Institute, Yales status amongst his family had only increased even more.

Well spoken. Number one isnt self-proclaimed. Its won. Linley stood up as well, his face cold as he stared at Rand. Rand, if we are going to engage in a magical duel, lets make it exciting. If you win, when I see you in the future, Ill have to take the long way and avoid crossing paths with you. If I win, you need to do the same.

Rand couldnt help but sneer, You call that exciting? When the loser meets the winner, not only does he have to take the long way around, he also has to give a hundred gold coins. How about that?

Linley frowned.

A hundred gold coins?

He only had a hundred gold coins each year for living expenses. He wasnt rich like some people.

Haha! Rand, just a hundred gold coins? Arent you embarassed, saying such a number? How about this. Loser pays ten thousand gold. Deal? The nearby Yale said loudly.

Ten thousand gold?

Upon hearing these words, many students in the hotel sucked in a cold breath. Ten thousand gold coins was not a small sum. There were perhaps only a very few number of students in the hotel who could so casually, calmly bring out such a large sum.

Ten thousand gold? Rand couldnt help but feel his heart shake.

Although his clan was a large one, each year, he only received three thousand gold in living expenses. He didnt come spend money at the Huadeli Hotel every day. Today, he only came to celebrate him and Rickson becoming the number one and number three victors of the tournament.

Haha, dont have the balls? Yale pulled out a magicard, waving it around as he spoke.

Rand, agree to him. Rickson said. We four bros should be able to pool together ten thousand gold coins. I refuse to believe that this little punk who came out of nowhere can be a match for you.

Rand and his three bros glanced at each other.

Fine! Ten thousand gold it is!

Rand said loudly, and then sneered towards Linley, Lets go. This place is too small. Well go to the arena where the tournament was held. If you have courage, follow me! After speaking, Rand arrogantly left the hotel, and his three bros followed him.

Lets go. Yales eyes were shining.

Reynolds and George were also excited. Linley nodded as well as he calmly chuckled, Someone wants to give us ten thousand gold? How can we refuse?

Linley, Yale, Reynolds, and George all left the hotel as well, directly heading for the arena.

The entire hotel was now in an uproar. A duel with a ten thousand gold coin wager on it was rarely seen, even by sixth grade students. And whats more, of the duelists, one was the person who had just won the yearly tournament for first graders, Rand, and one was a mysterious kid that no one knew.

Immediately, many people paid their tabs and headed off in that direction as well.

The arena floor was made of limestone and extremely sturdy.

Right now, Rand and Linley were each standing on a separate side of an arena dueling area.

Beneath the upraised dueling area was a large group of people. After all, this was dinnertime, so on the way here from the Huadeli Hotel, one person became ten, and ten became a hundred. In a short period of time, a large group of people had been gathered. This exciting duel with a ten thousand gold wager was more than enough to attract many onlookers.

Seeing how many people had come and how noisy it had become, a look of confidence appeared on Rands face.

Today, I am going to engage in a magical duel with this kid Linley, with the loser paying ten thousand gold coins and having to avoid the other in the future. Everyone, please be my witnesses. Rand said. He enjoyed the feeling of being watched by many. He didnt suffer from any stage fright at all.

Immediately, many cheers exploded from below. During the yearly tournament, Rand had many supporters, while in contrast, very few people were supporting Linley.

But Linley just stood there on the dueling area quietly.

Said enough? Linley said calmly.

Rand smiled arrogantly. Lets go.

Rand and Linley almost simultaneously began to chant the words to a spell. As both were magi of the second rank, the spells they used were all of the first and second rank and were easy to cast, requiring just a word or two.

Whoosh!

Seven sharp blades of wind sprang into existence, slicing directly towards Rand.

A magus of the second rank? The experienced onlookers could immediately tell.

But Rand had released a spell at the same time, and five balls of dull red flame shot towards Linley as well. The blades of wind were much faster than the fireballs, however, and Rand was forced to rather dodge in a rather sorry fashion. But Linley casually and effectively sidestepped the fireballs. And, while doing so, Linleys lips continued to move as he executed his second spell.

Earth style magic Earth Tremor!

Rumble.

Rand felt the limestone beneath his feet begin to tremble violently. Under these circumstances, Rand couldnt focus enough to chant any spells. Immediately afterwards, Linley released his third spell, and five fists of earthen-colored stone shot out rapidly towards him.

Rand couldnt even maintain his footing on the shaking earth. He just barely dodged two of the stones.

Thud.

One stone smashed into Rands stomach, immediately causing him to vomit fresh blood. Rand hurriedly used his arms to cover his chest. Two more striking sounds were heard, and Rand was directly thrown off the dueling area, his entire body covered with dust.

Magic duel, Linley, victorious!

Linley calmly glanced at Rand once. Linley was very clear about the attack he had just used. With just a months recovery time at most, Rand would be fine. If he, Linley, had decided to be merciless, he could have directed the stones at Rands head and most likely finished him.

A dual-element magus of the second rank. We have such an expert amongst us first graders?

The onlooking first graders called out, astonished. For a second rank magus to appear amongst the first graders was a rare event, much less a dual-element magus, who would be the absolute strongest amongst them.

This kid controlled his mageforce very precisely, and his body movements were very nimble.

Some of the fifth and sixth graders were a bit surprised. Just now, when facing the fireballs, Linley had been able to dodge while continuing to chant the words to a spell. From this one could tell how agile Linley was.

Haha, Rand, did you really think you were number one? Our dorms third bro, just using magic, is still able to easily trample you. Yale laughed loudly.

Cough, cough. Rand stood up, clutching his chest.

Rand knew in his heart that just then, Linley had shown mercy.

Yale, tomorrow, bring Linley. Ill go with you to the Golden Bank of the Four Empires local branch to transfer money. Ten thousand golds. Ill keep my word. Rand took a long look at the distant Linley. This defeat at Linleys hands had totally woken Rand up from the arrogant haze of being a genius.

Even if one was talented, if one wasnt strong enough, he would still be defeated by others!

Linley, thank you! Rand said, bowing, causing Yale and others to be startled. And then, Rand stared at Linley and said resolutely, But there will come a day when I will defeat you.

And then Rand, still clutching his chest, left with the help of his bros, returning to his own residence.

Linley, you are too awesome. You won your bros a lot of face! Reynolds immediately ran over and embraced Linley, who had stepped down.

Linley glanced around.

Many people were now staring at him and discussing him. Most of the talented people at the Ernst Institute had become well-known already. Nobody expected such an individual to appear out of nowhere amongst the first graders and easily defeat Rand, the tournament champion.

Hi Linley, my name is Danni [Danni], a water magus of the first rank. Im glad to meet you. Immediately, a golden-haired girl with a tall, slender figure walked over and said to Linley with a smile.

Hi, my name is Linley. Linley didnt have the habit of talking to strangers much. Sorry, Im going to go train and enter the meditative trance now.

After speaking, Linley glanced expressively at his three bros. Yale and the others knew what he was thinking, and immediately, the four bros ignored everyone around them and departed, leaving behind that young lady, Danni, who frowned unhappily.

Book 2, Growing Up, Chapter 21 The Proulx Gallery (part 1)

The Golden Bank of the Four Empires was a bank that had been jointly established by the Yulan continents Four Great Empires. People who were capable of opening a magicrystal card account with the bank were undoubtedly people of great wealth. Given that the card itself cost a hundred gold coins, normal people wouldnt be willing to part with such a high sum.

Ten thousand gold coins, if divided into hand-sized pouches, would fill a hundred pouches. Even a burlap rice sack would be half-filled and very heavy.

A hundred gold coins, gone like that. Walking out from the local branch of the Golden Bank of the Four Empires within the Ernst Institute, Linley couldnt help but sigh to himself. Now, next to his chest, was a magicrystal card of his own.

Linley knew that while he continued to live at the Ernst Institute, if he put a huge pile of gold coins in his dorm, it wouldnt be safe. The safest option was to put them all in a magicrystal card.

It must be known that the cost to create the card was not low. It had taken master goldsmiths centuries to develop, and each card responded to the fingerprints of its owner alone. Thus, every single magicrystal card could only be used by its original owner.

This was the reason why magicrystal cards cost a hundred gold coins.

With these ten thousand gold coins, my living expenses at the Ernst Institute will be more than sufficiently covered, with lots left over. I can help father as well. Linley felt very happy.

Yales arm was around Linleys shoulders, and he whistled a little tune while delightedly peering at the nearby Rand and his bros.

Rand and the other three had taken out their living expenses money, and the four of them had perhaps only a thousand gold coins left. But fortunately, the school year was about to end.

Reynolds and George were both calmly smiling as well, and were joking with Linley to the side.

But in truth, neither Reynolds nor George had suffered much in the past.

Second bro, third bro, fourth bro, tomorrow, at the end of the month, my father will come over. At that time, I will arrange for carriages and guardsmen to be brought over. Where should we four bros travel to? Yale suggested.

The Holy Capital?

Reynolds, George, and Linleys eyes all shone.

Fenlai City, the Holy Capital, was no ordinary city.

The Holy Capital is a great idea. On the way here from the OBrien Empire, I stayed at Fenlai City for two days. I havent had a chance to visit many places yet. Reynolds hurriedly said.

George and Linley both nodded.

The Holy Capital has lots of places to visit. Tomorrow, Ill take you guys out and expand your horizons. Yale said mysteriously.

At dawn the next day, Yale and the others all had breakfast together, and then directly went to the Ernst Institutes main gate and began waiting for Yales escorted carriage.

After waiting for two hours, the carriage still had not arrived.

Squeak squeak. Bebe, perched on Linleys shoulder, began to squeak.

Bebe is getting impatient. Yale, you pulled us all here early in the morning, but the carriage still hasnt come. Reynolds said unhappily, while Yale laughed apologetically. I dont know either, they should be here by now. Linley just stroked Bebes little head.

There they are. Yale suddenly shouted loudly.

George, Reynolds, and Linley, all of whom had almost fallen asleep, turned to look. From afar, there really was four carriages and hundreds of mounted guardsmen hurrying towards them en masse. Above the formation, there were even seven or eight Griffons, and of the hundreds of riders, over ten were riding magical beasts such as the Vampiric Iron Bull or Windwolves.

So Yales clanguard divisions are so formidable, Linley couldnt help but feel shocked. The eyes of Reynolds and George also shone.

Doehring Cowart was seated next to Linley, enjoying the sun. Upon seeing the cavalry division, his eyes lit up as well. Very shortly, the four carriages and hundreds of riders arrived at the main gate. Three magi came out to greet them at the gate.

A middle aged man stepped forward in front of the four carriages. Before even speaking to the three magi, he strode towards Yale.

Second Uncle, what took you guys so long? Yale said unhappily.

This Second Uncle of Yales immediately laughed and said, Haha, did you grow impatient? Alright, your carriages are all ready. The last one is filled with some goods, Ill have them clear them out so you have a place to sit. You are going to the Holy Capital, right?

Cass [Kaqi], take three others with you. You are responsible for protecting young master Yale. This Second Uncle ordered.

Off in the distance, a bald rider immediately dismounted, walked in front of Yale, and bowed. Cass pays his respects to young master Yale.

Next to Linley, Doehring Cowarts eyes lit up and he said to him, Linley, this brother of yours definitely is extraordinary. Based on how he dismounted and his eyes, I can feel that this Cass is an expert who is a good deal stronger than even your Uncle Hillman. In addition, that hawk on his shoulder should be a magical beast of the seventh rank the Blue-eyed Thunderhawk.

For Cass to be praised by Doehring Cowart as an expert meant that he definitely was out of the ordinary.

Linley, lets go. Enter the carriage quickly. Lets go to the Holy Capital. Yale beckoned.

Linley and the other three entered the carriage together. The interior was very spacious, and the four of them werent cramped at all. Immediately, the carriage driver began heading towards the direction of the Fenlai City, the Holy Capital.

Cass and the other three riders all followed from behind.

In the cabinets within the carriage, there were actually fruits, honey, and wine. The four bros began to eat and drink and chat within the carriage. The Ernst Institute was only twenty kilometers away from Fenlai City, so after about half an hour or so, they arrived.

They left the carriage.

Under the protection of Cass and the other three, Linleys group began to roam Fenlai City.

Hey, where is everyone going? Fenlai City has an incredible amount of places to have fun. East Fenlai City has lots of luxurious places to spend money with lots of beautiful waitresses, while West Fenlai City has many art museums, such as the famous Proulx Gallery. Yale was very familiar with Fenlai City.

Beautiful waitresses? Okay okay, lets go to East Fenlai City. The eyes of that mischievious scamp Reynolds had begun to shine.

Its only the afternoon. Those places are only fun in the evening. But of course, we can go now as well. Yale said laughingly.

Linley felt some reservations about those types of places, and so he said, Yale, forget it, whats the point of us kids going to those places? Just now, you mentioned the Proulx Gallery? Since the Proulx Gallery names itself after the famous Grandmaster Proulx, it must be extraordinary. Lets go check it out.

Proulx, the number one sculptor in the history of the Yulan continent.

Grandmaster Proulx? Ive heard of him as well. In the past, one of his sculptures was sold for the price of several million gold coins. The name of that sculpture was Hope. Millions of gold coins, my god. So rich. Reynolds sighed.

George laughed confidently. In the history of sculpture, from the beginning til now, there have been countless stone sculptures made. Of the top ten sculptures, any one of them would be worth a million gold coins. And of those top ten sculptures, three were made by Grandmaster Proulx. He can be considered the number one person in the history of stonesculpting!”

Linley sucked in a breath of cold air.

Millions of gold coins?

What an enormous sum that was. Even if his clan sold off their ancestral home, they most likely would only be able to scrape up a hundred thousand gold coins.

Lets go check it out. Linley immediately said.

Book 2, Growing Up, Chapter 22 The Proulx Gallery (part two)

The Proulx Gallery.

The number one art gallery for sculptures, each of the largest cities in the Yulan continent had a Proulx Gallery branch. The Proulx Gallery took up an extremely large space, and a great majority of those entering the gallery were people of culture and breeding.

Within the Proulx Gallery, if you had too many ostentatious magic rings on your hands, the likely result would just be you being mocked and derided for having no class.

Art, sophistication!

This place valued these things the most.

The entry fee to the Proulx Gallery was one gold coin per person.

A ding-dong sound, as clear as the sound of a mountain spring, rang out from within the Proulx Gallery. The sound of it made listeners feel at peace. Countless people traversed the gateway, with many noblemen, noblewoman, and beautiful young girls, all dressed very tastefully.

And commoners, in front of the Proulx Gallery, would almost unconsciously comport themselves.

When Linley and his bros, along with Cass and the three guardsmen, arrived at the Proulx Gallery, anyone who was a decent judge of character could recognize the Ernst Institute clothing that they wore. Upon seeing the Blue-eyed Thunderhawk on Cass shoulders, they naturally would become very courteous and polite.

Uncle Cass, come in along with us. The other three can wait for us outside. Yale instructed.

Linley, his three bros, and Cass thus entered the gallery. In the main hall of the Proulx Gallery, there was a large, man-shaped sculpture. This sculpture was precisely that of the number one grandmaster sculptor, Proulx.

The entire Proulx Gallery was extremely quiet.

Virtually everyone, regardless of status, spoke in hushed tones, so as to avoid bothering anyone else.

Yale, Reynolds, George, and Linley viewed one stone sculpture after another, and in their hearts they felt as though these sculptures truly were incomparably beautiful.

The Proulx Gallerys exhibits are divided into three halls; the standard hall, the masters hall, and the grandmasters hall. This standard hall is filled with sculptures that some sculptors arranged to be placed here, to be valued and bought by others as they see fit. Each work is exhibited for a month, and after a month, the highest bid wins the sculpture. These ordinary sculptures are mostly just worth a few gold coins, with particularly good ones worth a few dozen coins.

Yale laughed as he explained. But the masters hall is different. The masters exhibition is divided up into many individual rooms, with each masterwork sculpture in a room by itself. Generally speaking, a master is someone whose sculpting ability has received general acclaim, and most masterworks are worth around a thousand gold coins or so.

As for the grandmasters hall, thats even more amazing. In the innermost sanctum of the gallery, there are a very small number of grandmasters masterpieces. The price of these masterpieces is frighteningly high. Any of them are easily worth tens of thousands of gold, and some of the masterpieces which first brought fame to their grandmaster sculptors are easily worth hundreds of thousands of gold pieces. Yale explained to his three bros in detail.

Linleys breath stopped.

Any masterpiece by a grandmaster was worth tens of thousands of gold coins. To a grandmaster sculptor, money really meant nothing at all.

But it is quite difficult for a grandmaster sculptor to produce a masterpiece, since they naturally dont want to make any mistakes at all. Yale sighed as he spoke. A masterpiece that is worthy of being venerated throughout the ages, requires talent, ability, and sometimes a sudden spark of genius.

The works in this standard hall are just a bit pleasing to the eye, is all. Lets go inside. Yale led them deeper within.

Walking within the quiet Proulx Gallery, and listening to that peaceful music, Linley felt as though he were swimming in a sea of culture. And just at this time, Doehring Cowart flew out from within the Coiling Dragon Ring and began to appraise the art nearby.

Terrible, terrible. How can people have the face to bring out artwork of this quality to show others? Doehring Cowart said unhappily.

Grandpa Doehring, Linley turned to look at Doehring Cowart. This is just the standard hall of the Proulx Gallery. There is a masters hall up front, as well as a grandmasters hall.

Proulx Gallery? Doehring Cowart started, and then actually stopped talking.

Grandpa Doehring, Grandpa Doehring? Linley mentally called out a few times. But seeing that Doehring Cowart was still lost in his thoughts, Linley no longer tried to call to him. He followed Yale, Reynolds, and George to the masters hall. This hall really was different, as within the center of the main hall, each and every artist had their information recorded and the location of their displays recorded.

Yale, Linley, and the others began to enter the individual display rooms.

Although he didnt know much about sculpture, Linley could still clearly feel that the sculptures of the masters were clearly different than those in the standard hall. They seemed to carry within them some sort of ineffable grace and culture.

Just as Linley was falling into a reverie while enjoying the sculptures, Doehring Cowarts voice sounded out in his mind once again.

Not bad. These at least can be considered accomplished. Doehring Cowart sighed with praise. But compared to the works of Proulx, theres still quite a way to go.

Linley was speechless.

Doehring Cowart, how can these people possibly compare to Grandmaster Proulx? Linley shook his head and laughed helplessly. Proulx was the number one sculptor in the entire history of the Yulan continent.

Doehring Cowart frowned. Stroking his beard unhappily, he said, What is it? Do you think that Proulx was a grandmaster from birth? He, too, started as an ordinary sculptor and worked his way up, and becoming a true grandmaster sculptor in the end.

Linley was stunned.

There was some logic to Grandpa Doehrings words.

After finishing inspecting the masters hall, Linley and the other three headed for the innermost grandmasters hall.

Everyone, remember, while within the grandmasters hall, dont touch anything. If you break anything, it would be disastrous. Yale reminded them.

Entering the grandmasters hall. Silence.

The grandmasters hall was extremely large, but there were only very few sculptures inside. After all, only so many grandmasters had ever existed, and each grandmaster had only four or five works of art on display. In the entire hall, there were only twenty or thirty works on display.

But although there were very few sculptures, when Linley and the others saw these sculptures, they felt a spirit emanating from them, as though these sculptures had life.

Oh, not bad, not bad. I didnt expect that in five thousand years, the art of stone-sculpting would reach such a height. Doehring Cowart said in amazement. If these can improve a bit more, they will be able to approximate Proulxs level.

Silently mesmerized within the art gallery, Linley and the others felt their spirits be uplifted.

Night. The Ernst Institutes main gate. Linley and other three dismounted the carriage.

Second bro, third bro, the two of you, ugh. I planned for us to have a good time tonight in Fenlai City, but youugh, you guys are so thin-skinned. I started having fun in those places when I was six years old. Yale was still unhappily grumbling nonstop.

Right on, right on, Reynolds said from the side.

George and Linley glanced at each other, and couldnt help but chuckle bitterly.

Quick, open the gate! A furious, urgent shout rang out.

Linley and the others couldnt help but swivel to take a look. They saw a curly-haired youth carrying another bloody youth, with a pretty girl by his side. The bloody youths face was ashen white. His left arm was broken, with white bones sticking out, and chest covered with claw marks.

Looks like some of the trainees who went to the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts were wounded. What group is this? We havent even been at the Ernst Institute for a year, but weve seen so many high level students who were injured outside. Yale said casually.

The Mountain Range of Magical Beasts was east of the Holy Union.

As a matter of fact, it was quite close to the Ernst Institute, perhaps just a hundred kilometers away. Generally speaking, those in good shape would be able to jog from the mountain range to the Ernst Institute in about half a day.

Here at the Ernst Institute, Ive seen so many magical beasts. Wow, man, there are flying beasts, running beasts, and all sorts of beasts. But most of the people who have magical beast companions at the Ernst Institute are magus instructors, and a few high level students. George sighed in admiration.

Just as the four bros arrived at the main gate, suddenly

Linley.

A familiar voice sounded out. Turning his head to look, surprised joy appeared on Linleys face. Uncle Hillman.

Book 2, Growing Up, Chapter 23 A Wonderful Surprise

Hillman was standing in a corner near the gate. Smiling, he walked over. The Ernst Institute has extremely strict management. They actually denied me entrance and just had a guard go looking for you. I didnt expect you would actually be outside.

Yale, you guys go on ahead, Ill join you later. Linley turned his head and said.

Yale, George, and Reynolds all smiled at Hillman, then entered the Ernst Institute.

Uncle Hillman, why are you here? I thought you would only come here to pick me up after the semester ends? Linley said questioningly.

Lets talk over here. Hillman pulled Linley off to a side, a look of irrepressible excitement appearing on his face. Linley, I have wonderful news for you, extremely wonderful news.

Linleys eyes shone.

What news? Linley urged him.

Hillman smiled. Linley, do you remember little Whartons date of birth?

Of course. January 3rd. What, does this have something to do with his birthday? Linley questioned.

Hillman laughed. It is December right now, so little Wharton is almost six years old. Just last night, your father tested little Wharton for the density of Dragonblood in his veins in the ancestral hall. And the test result washaha Hillman once again began to laugh.

Linleys heart rate sped up dramatically.

The Dragonblood density test result was

Could it be

Linley asked, Did the Dragonblood density in little Whartons veins reach the cutoff?

Hillman laughed loudly and nodded. Right. Your father was absolutely ecstatic. He excitedly drank wine with me until midnight. Your father said that his two sons are the absolute prides of his life. One is a mighty magus, and the other is a Dragonblood Warrior. Haha

Wonderful.

Linleys heart was full of excitement.

The five-millennium old legendary Dragonblood Warrior clans prospects, prior to Wharton being tested for the Dragonblood density, had previously been carried on Linleys shoulders alone. The greater their former glory was, the heavier the burden Linley had been carrying.

But now.

His own little brothers Dragonblood density was sufficiently high that with just a few decades of hard work, he could become a world-renowned Dragonblood Warrior.

I came here today to tell you this wonderful news. Your father said to me that right now, the strongest people in Wushan township are myself and him. We are both warriors of the sixth rank! Our level of expertise isnt enough to provide good tutelage for your little brother, and the training methods of your clan are written down but unclear. Hillmans face grew solemn. Thus your father has decided to send your little brother to the OBrien Empires OBrien Academy to study. In that mighty military Empire, in the finest military academy, your little brother will receive the best tutelage available.

Linley agreed as well.

A person who only had tremendous brute strength but lacked in technique and experience could only be considered a big, dumb ape.

Wait. Linley frowned as he looked at Hillman. Uncle Hillman, that OBrien Academys tuition must be extremely high. Although they will allow their own students to study free of charge, no doubt they are extremely merciless in charging out-of-empire students. Linley clearly remembered how much Reynolds had paid to be admitted to the Ernst Institute.

Hillman nodded. The OBrien Academys yearly tuition is approximately five thousand gold coins. Your father intends to have Housekeeper Hiri escort Wharton there and take care of him. The tuition fee really is high. In ten years, itll be fifty thousand gold coins.

Fifty thousand gold coins would approximately equate to the entire value of all of the Baruch clans possessions, if sold off.

Right! Uncle Hillman.

Hillman looked questioningly at Linley as he watched Linley withdraw a magicrystal card from his pockets. Hillman was shocked. A magicrystal card? Previously, when he was a soldier, he had seen magicrystal cards before.

Linley, how do you have a magicrystal card? Not even your father has one. Hillman looked at Linley with surprise.

Linley tugged Hillman and said, I won this magicrystal card from a rich kid who lost a magic duel with me. Lets go to the Golden Bank of the Four Empires. Right now, the guards at the Ernst Institutes entrance no longer attempted to bar Hillmans passage, because they recognized Linley, who had left earlier this morning.

To Linley, this extra money didnt have too much usage. If he could use it to help his family, that would be enough.

Wushan township, within the Baruch clan manors main hall.

Hogg was pondering.

Since his clan had produced a descendant with the requisite density of Dragonblood, he must be given the best upbringing. Even if they had to beggar themselves, it would be worth it. This was without question!

Who should I sell the stone carving screen in the bedroom to? Philip is too stingy, he wont give a good price. Hogg was pondering nonstop.

The tuition needed to send little Wharton to the OBrien Academy was astonishingly high. The question in Hoggs mind right now was how to sell his clans possessions for a sufficiently high price.

Suddenly, footsteps sound out.

Turning his head, Hogg said, Hillman, you are back. Uh, whats that on your shoulders?

Hillman tossed the bag across his shoulders onto the floor. The bag collided into the floor with a heavy thud sound. Clearly, it was very heavy.

Lord Hogg, Linley asked me to bring this to you. Hillman opened the bag and then poured everything out. One small, gold-colored sack after another formed a small mound on the floor, and the sound of gold coins clinking within the gold-colored sacks was very clear and crisp.

These gold-colored sacks were used solely by the Golden Bank of the Four Empires. Each bag generally contained a hundred gold coins.

Gold coins? So much gold. There must be at least ten thousand gold coins here. Hogg stared at Hillman, astonished. Hillman, you say that Linley asked you to bring this here?

Hillman said solemnly, In total, nine thousand, nine hundred gold coins. Linley asked me to bring this to you. At the Ernst Institute, a rich young fellow engaged in a magical duel with Linley, and in losing, also lost ten thousand gold coins. Linley stored them into a magicrystal card, and now, has withdrawn the entire balance.

Hillman still remembered the words that Linley had said to the attendant at the Golden Bank of the Four Empires. Withdraw everything!

9900 gold coins? Linleys?

Staring at the mound of gold-colored sacks, Hogg immediately grew silent.

Book 2, Growing Up, Chapter 24 The Straight Chisel School

Many days later, at the Ernst Institute.

It was morning. Linley had eaten breakfast, and was now headed to the back mountains, preparing to begin training.

While walking on the road out of the Institute, the little Shadowmouse was on Linleys shoulders, scanning about in all directions. There were quite a few people at the Ernst Institute who had magical beast companions, and thus no one cared at all that Linley had a little Shadowmouse as a companion. But just at that moment

That guy is Linley, the number one magus amongst us first graders. A clear voice rang out from not too far up ahead.

Linley couldnt help but stare at the direction of the voice, and saw two cute girls chatting to each other while staring at him. When Linley glanced at them, the two girls began to titter in a quiet voice.

Ive become famous. Linley mocked himself.

Over the past few days, he would often run into people discussing him. Since he had defeated Rand, the victor of the first grade tournament, everyone had tacitly agreed that he was the number one expert amongst first graders.

Oh, in front is? Linley suddenly saw a slender, small frame up ahead.

Short golden hair, with a body as slender as that of Reynolds. A cold aura emanated from him as he calmly walked along the road.

Dixie? Linleys pupils contracted.

Dixie was nine years old as well, and in fact was actually a month younger than Linley. But this nine year old child had already become a magus of the third rank. Although it became harder and harder to progress in the higher ranks, a nine-year old magus of the third rank was still very astonishing.

Its Dixie. I heard that yesterday at the annual magus assessment test, Dixie showed that he had already reached the requirements for the fourth rank. A number of seventeen and eighteen year old girls said from the side.

Most of the students in the third grade were more than sixteen years old, with only the genius Dixie as a clear exception!

A magus of the fourth rank!

Linley felt his heart violently shudder. They were both nine years old, and Dixie was even a month younger than him. But he had already become a magus of the fourth rank, while Linley was only of the second rank.

Demeanor as cold as ice, Dixie walked past Linley.

The absolute genius, Dixie. No one his age could come close to matching him.

A white line shone out of the Coiling Dragon Ring, and Doehring Cowart appeared besides Linley, smiling. Linley, there actually isnt a huge difference between you two. When Dixie enrolled, his spiritual essence was 68 times that of his peers. This means that even before training, his spiritual essence had reached the level of a magus of the third rank. Thats why in his first year, all he had to do was accumulate sufficient mageforce for him to become a magus of the third rank. By now, hes been at the Ernst Institute for almost two more years, so it is very normal for him to become a magus of the fourth rank.

Linley understood this in his heart.

This person simply had too much natural talent. He was born with tremendous spiritual essence, and he had exceptional elemental affinity as well. Clearly, he must have accumulated mageforce very quickly as well.

Although his training speed right now is fast, I expect him to need another three or four years to advance from the fourth rank to the fifth rank. And to go from the fifth rank to the sixth rank, he will need four or five years.

Right now, you are a magus of the second rank, while he is of the fourth rank. But I am confident that in ten years, you will catch up to him. Doehring Cowart said confidently.

But Linley didnt believe it.

Grandpa Doehring, the more natural talent one has, the faster one will progress. He has much more talent than I do, and holds two more ranks than I do. How could I possibly catch up to him in ten short years? Linley was no fool. His studies at the Ernst Institute had made him aware of how difficult it was for a magus to advance a rank.

In the past, Doehring Cowart had told Linley that he would become a magus of the sixth rank in ten years, but Linley had always had reservations about that claim. After all, to date, his rate of improvement was clearly insufficient.

As he said these words, Linley had already left the gates of the Ernst Institute and entered the back mountains. As he passed through the mountain forests, Doehring Cowart suddenly said, Linley, go to a place next to the mountainside.

Next to a mountainside? Linley was confused.

Dont ask too many questions. When you arrive, Ill explain. Doehring Cowart laughed.

Most of the back mountain was covered with wild grass and many different large trees. But after a while, Linley found a place that satisfied Doehring Cowarts requirements. The place was a mountain peak that rose hundreds of meters into the air. At the base of the peak, Linley stood.

Grandpa Doehring, what do you want me to do here? Linley said questioningly.

Laughing, Doehring Cowart said, Linley, do you disbelieve my claim that I can let you reach his level in ten short years? HahaLinley, as a mighty Saint-level Grand Magus, I in fact am in possession of a method to improve ones spiritual essence.

A method to improve ones spiritual essence? Isnt the meditative trance enough for that? Linley stared at Doehring Cowart questioningly.

Doehring Cowart smiled calmly. Linley, I will admit that the meditative trance has very good results. But after meditating, one will feel extremely tired.

Of course I would feel tired. The meditative trance involves me using my spiritual essence non-stop. After totally exhausting my spiritual essence, I would then allow it to recover. Itd be strange if it wasnt exhausting. Linley frowned.

Doehring Cowart proudly said, But my method is different. It doesnt cost spiritual essence at all. In fact, it is a form of entertainment.

Entertainment? Linley was dazed.

Right. This form of entertainment is stonesculpting! A prideful look appeared on Doehring Cowarts face.

Stonesculpting? Linley said, astonished. Like the sculptures in the Proulx Gallery?

Doehring Cowart smiled and said, Right. When others sculpt stone, they will exert a lot of energy and exhaust themselves. But my stonesculpting method is different. Although it is also tiring when you first begin to train in it, towards the end, it will have extremely good results.

Are you serious? Linley couldnt quite believe it.

Doehring Cowart stared at him. Linley, you dont believe me? As a venerable Saint-level Grand Magus of the Pouant Empire, in the past, there were several sculptures I made which nobles offered a million gold coins to purchase. But how could I, a Saint-level Grand Magus, be willing to give the sculptures which I was the most proud of to others?

You were that good? How come Ive never heard of your name amongst the other grandmaster sculptors, then, Grandpa Doehring? Linley said suspiciously.

Doehring Cowart said awkwardly, Well, I hid all of my works in an underground vault which no one knew about. After five thousand years, Im no longer even sure where it is located. Five thousand years is enough for a sea to turn into farmland. The entire Pouant Empire had been eliminated. Who knew where the vault was now?

Oh ho, so no ones ever heard of you? Linley began to chortle.

You dont believe me? Doehring Cowart stared at him. Back in the day, when Proulx was just a young kid, he came to me and earnestly begged me to allow him to view my sculptures. After analyzing my sculptures, that kid Proulx had a mental breakthrough which in the end allowed him to become a grandmaster sculptor. As a matter of fact, he can even be considered a student of mine.

Linley was stunned.

Proulx? Linley was truly terrified now.

Proulx, the man who had been acclaimed throughout the ages at the finest sculptor in history, could be considered a student of Doehring Cowart.

Of course, if one can describe Proulxs works as being in pursuit of perfection, my works are in pursuit of a different extreme. I named my sculpting method the Straight Chisel School. The Straight Chisel School is totally different from all other sculpting methods. It pursues a totally different extreme. This method, in the beginning, is very exhausting, but as one masters it, you will realize its true fruits. A look of absolute confidence was on Doehring Cowarts face.

Glancing at Linley, a smile appeared on Doehring Cowarts face. But of course, in the past, I was the only member of the Straight Chisel School. From today forward, you will be a second member.

In his heart, Linley had total confidence in Grandpa Doehring, so of course he had decided to study sculpting with him.

And whats more

If Grandpa Doehrings words were true, and he could grow stronger while also becoming a master sculptor, just based on his sculpting skills alone, he would be able to support his little brothers tuition.

Written, recorded history goes back only a few tens of thousands of years at most. In the long ages before then, before the writing system had even been invented, stonesculpting had already existed. Doehring Cowart said with a sigh. Hundreds of thousands of years, or even millions of years ago, our ancestors would record their memories and their visions in sculptures. This is the most ancient method of recording culture and history.

Linley nodded as well.

There was no form of culture at all which was older than stonesculpting.

Throughout the ages, sculpting has always been very hard to do. And creating a sculpture with a unique aura is even harder. The harder something is to do, the more valuable a success would be. Doehring Cowart sighed emotionally.

Linley agreed in his heart.

If you wanted to paint a single stroke, you could easily do so. But if you wanted to carve out a paint-stroke, it would be extremely difficult, because stone is too unyielding.

A stones appearance, quality, grains, and coloration impact not only its appearance, but its entire potential and true form. We use chisels to remove the excess parts and allow its natural beauty to be revealed. This is stonesculpting.

The stonesculpting way is really a way of controlling space and appearance. When stonesculpting, one must carve from the outside to the inside, one step at a time, slowly drawing out a form from within. And then, slowly, one would remove the excess parts, allowing the form to become more and more clear. This will allow the sculptor to naturally feel as though his work of art is evolving beautifully.

Once he started, Doehring Cowart couldnt stop talking about carving.

But Linley could clearly tell how much Doehring Cowart revered this art.

Most stonesculpting methods use many tools, such as the butterfly chisel, a straight chisel, a skew chisel, a triangular chisel, a jade bowl knife, hammers, saws, and more. The reason there are so many tools is because stone is very firm and hard. Thus, they will use a butterfly chisel to draw the form, the straight chisel for the initial cuts, the triangular chisel.

Listening to him speak, Linley began to understand more about the basics of stonesculpting.

Doehring Cowart suddenly laughed. But my stonesculpting method is totally different from that of others. This is because my stonesculpting method uses only a single tool the straight chisel! This is why I have named my sculpting method, the Straight Chisel School!

How is that possible? You carve just using a straight chisel? Linley immediately argued. You just said yourself that more tools are needed. For example, the scales of a fish. How would you use a straight chisel to carve that? Isnt that totally impossible?

Wrong. Although others cannot, we earth-style magi can!

Doehring Cowart said confidently, Earth-style magi can totally sense the entirety of a rocks form. With sufficient wrist strength, we can sculpt stone using just a straight chisel. But of course, the Straight Chisel School is not a simple one to enter. Today, your mission is to go purchase a sufficiently sharp straight chisel. From today onwards, every day, I will spend three hours guiding you in learning how to sculpt stone.

Book 2, Growing Up, Chapter 25 Six Years

The flowing water continued to swirl as Linley sat cross legged next to it. In his hands, he held a straight chisel and a rock the size of his palm.

Begin with the basics. Ill start with this little rock as I begin my training

Linley sat there alone in the mountains behind the Ernst Institute. Under the tutelage of Doehring Cowart, he began to study the art of stonesculpting. As he began to understand more and more about this art, Linley also began to understand why in the later stages, the Straight Chisel School could assist in improving ones spiritual essence.

When others carved, they needed to use a large pile of tools.

They had to spend a huge amount of time and mental energy just considering what tools to use where. Naturally, this would be exhausting. Every single work of art represented their blood and painstaking effort.

But the Straight Chisel School was different.

The only tool used was a straight chisel, so there was no need to consider what tool should be used for what. Naturally, the difficulty level was greatly heightened due to the use of just one tool. For example, using the straight chisel to carve out the parts normally reserved for the jade bowl knife required an extremely perfect understanding and grasp of the basic form of a stone.

In addition, great strength was needed.

If one tried to use just a straight chisel on some larger pieces which normally would require a saw to cut through, one would need sufficient strength.

One could use an earth-style magus unique connection to the earth to understand a stones essence. But wrist strength had to be trained. As a magus of the second rank, Linleys wrist strength was not bad, but it was only enough to carve some smaller pieces. If he wanted to carve anything large, his wrist strength would not be enough.

However

Right now, Linley was just working on the basics.

When the school year came to an end, Linley returned to Wushan township.

After the New Year, little Wharton and his older brother, Linley, had only a few days to spend in each others company. And then, under the auspices of Housekeeper Hiri, Wharton headed towards the OBrien Empire. Linley had no choice but to wistfully watch little Wharton depart. Crying nonstop, six year old Wharton parted from ten year old Linley and headed off.

Time passed.

Linley continued to be a solitary figure at the Ernst Institute. The vast majority of his time each day was spend in arduous training at the back mountains.

Entering a young adults growth period, Linleys appetite increased enormously, and he began to grow taller as well. Naturally, his physical strength and musculature also improved rapidly. In the art of stonesculpting, with Doehring Cowarts guidance and his own hard work, Linley continued to make progress.

Spring went, autumn came. Flowers blossomed, flowers withered. In the blink of an eye, three years passed.

At a waterfall in the mountains behind the Ernst Institute.

Roar, roar. Like a solid sheet of water, the waterfall poured down in torrents, smashing into the deep pool of water.

Linley was right next to the waterfall, wielding a thirty-centimeter straight chisel in his hand as he constantly chipped away at a man-sized block of stone. The straight chisel in his hands danced in an almost illusionary fashion. Every place the straight chisel passed saw scraps of stone detach and fall down. An embryo of a statue was beginning to take shape from the stone.

He continued from morning until evening, and the statues form began to grow clearer and clearer.

Linleys gaze was totally fixed upon the stone. At this moment, his entire being was focused on the stone and permeated it, as his heart had become one with the inside of the stone. This marvelous feeling caused Linley not to even notice the passage of time. This sensation of being totally one with nature actually caused Linleys spiritual energy to begin to regenerate, and even grow organically.

But Linley himself did not notice this, as he continued to wield the straight chisel and unceasingly work on the statue.

Pieces of excess stone continued to fall down, causing each detail of the statue to grow more pronounced. By the time the sun had set, the straight chisel in Linleys hands finally came to a halt.

Whew!

Linley let out a soft breath and brushed away some small pieces of excess stone still remaining. The entire statue had taken shape. A half-meter long lively-looking mouse stood in front of Linley. At a glance, one might mistake it for a real mouse. This caused the little Shadowmouse, Bebe, to begin squeaking wildly.

From start to finish, this was done at one go!

What an amazing feeling. Only now did Linley realize that his spiritual essence had improved dramatically.

A white-robed Doehring Cowart smiled at him cheerily from the side. Linley, starting today, you can just barely be considered to have mastered the basics. Have you felt that special feeling yet? But your work can only be considered to be a superficial pseudo-artwork. Its only worthy of being placed in the standard hall at the Proulx Institute. If you show it off there, I would be humiliated. Destroy it.

Yes, Grandpa Doehring.

The straight chisel in Linleys hand flashed many times, and the statue suddenly became divided into more than ten pieces. This year, Linley finally had mastered the basics of stonesculpting!

And this year, Linley was thirteen years old!

Day after day, year after year.

After mastering the basics of stonesculpting, Linleys spiritual essence began to improve at a much more rapid pace. Specifically, when Linley was nine and a half, he had become a magus of the second rank, and when he was eleven, he had become a magus of the third rank. And when he was thirteen, he had become a magus of the fourth rank!

Magi found it harder and harder to advance in ranks as they grew more powerful. Logically speaking, from the fourth to the fifth rank, it should have taken Linley at least three years.

But in reality

In year 9996 of the Yulan calendar, when Linley was fourteen and a half, he reached the rank of a magus of the fifth rank. From the fourth rank to the fifth rank, he only spent a year and a half. It was even faster than when he advanced from the third to the fourth rank.

This was the benefit of entering the Straight Chisel School!

Year 9997 of the Yulan calendar was the seventh year Linley had spent at the Ernst Institute. This year, Linley was fifteen years old.

Wearing a sky-blue robe, Linley was walking on a road within the Ernst Institute. On Linleys shoulders, the little Shadowmouse Bebe continued to stand. Although six or seven years had passed, Bebes body hadnt changed in the slightest.

By now, Linley was 1.8 meters tall and gave off a very steady, stable air. Earth and wind elemental essences had continuously nourished his body. Combined with Linleys nonstop training, and the advantages provided by his Dragonblood Warrior heritage, Linley had already become a warrior of the fourth rank.

He could easily lift boulders which weighed hundreds of pounds, and shatter rocks with his punches.

His study of the Straight Chisel School of stonesculpting had also caused Linleys spiritual essence to constantly improve ever since he was thirteen.

At the start of year 9997 of the Yulan calendar, Linley entered the fifth grade class at the Ernst Institute, the same grade as the Ernst Institutes number one genius, Dixie. It had taken Dixie three years to advance from the fourth rank to the fifth rank, but up until now, he still had not been able to advance from the fifth rank to the sixth.

Fifteen years old. A magus of the fifth rank!

Linley and Dixie both could definitely be considered freaks of nature. But in the hearts of the vast majority, Linley was even more of a freak, because since the day he took the ability assessment for the fourth rank, he had spent only a year and a half before attaining the fifth rank.

Linleys astonishing rate of improvement had shocked everyone.

Now, Linley was ranked along with Dixie as being the publicly acknowledged Two Ultimate Geniuses of the Ernst Institute.

Look, it is Linley. Two years ago, he became a magus of the fourth rank, and just last year, he became a magus of the fifth rank in just one year! Too amazing. I predict that Linley will become a magus of the sixth rank before Dixie does.

Linley spends every day training in the back mountains. I hear that recently, Dixie has also begun to train hard at the rear mountains. Most likely, hes being influenced by Linley.

Very possible. Given Linleys astonishing rate of improvement, very possibly he will supplant Dixie and become the number one genius of the Ernst Institute.

On the street, there were many people who, upon seeing Linley, began to discuss him amongst themselves. As the acknowledged genius of the Ernst Institute, no matter where he went, people would discuss him. But although Linleys strength continued to increase, he still refused to participate in the yearly tournaments.

Genius? Linley mocked himself.

Linley had never considered himself a genius. His strength came from intensive training every single day. For six years, he had been as steadfast as he was the first day. And that, combined with guidance from Grandpa Doehring, was what gave him his current accomplishments.

But right now, my strength is actually less than that of Bebes. Linley glanced at Bebe on his shoulders. Bebe, what rank of power have you reached?

Squeak squeak. Bebe smirked at Linley, then said to him mentally, I dont know either, since Ive never competed against any other magical beasts. But you definitely arent a match for me, hehe. Bebe was extremely self-satisfied.

Totally ignoring the worshipful gazes aimed at him by bystanders, Linley calmly left the Ernst Institute by the back gate and entered the mountains, once more beginning his solitary training. Those six years which went by like one day were the reason for his success.

Linley quickly and casually floated through the forests, while the little Shadowmouse Bebe continued to chat with him nonstop through their mental link. Boss Lin, when are we gonna go to the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts to test our strength? You are already a magus of the fifth rank. You can begin to test yourself. And I, Bebe, will finally be able to show my awesome abilities.

No rush. Linleys reply was very short.

You are breaking my heart, man. Im a magical beast, but I havent gone to the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts a single time. What a tragedy! After six years, Bebes abilities at self-expression had improved dramatically.

Quiet. If you keep on making a fuss, then today I wont help you cook meat. As soon as Linley spoke these words, Bebe immediately shut his mouth and didnt make a sound.

After entering the mountains, Doehring Cowart appeared by his side. Watching Linley, Doehring Cowart felt extremely gratified in his heart.

Linley. Doehring Cowart suddenly said.

Linley turned his head and smiled at Doehring Cowart as he engaged in mental conversation. Grandpa Doehring, is something the matter?

Doehring Cowart smiled. Based on your last few works of art, I can formally inform you that your abilities in stonesculpting have met the threshold.

Linleys eyes involuntarily shone.

His Grandpa Doehring had an eccentric temperament. Any works of art which didnt reach his exacting standards had to be destroyed immediately. Per his words, If these works of art were to appear in the world, they would lose face for my Straight Chisel School, and lose face for me, an honorable Saint-level Grand Magus.

Thus, Linley had been forced to destroy every single sculpture he had made, even though they could have been sold for some money.

Met the threshold? Grandpa Doehring, do you mean?... Linley stared at Doehring Cowart in amazement.

Doehring Cowart happily nodded. Right. Starting today, after you finish a stone sculpture, you dont need to destroy it. They are worthy of remaining in this world. Naturally, if you wish, you can deliver your sculptures to the Proulx Gallery to sell them and thus begin to build up a reputation for our Straight Chisel School. At the same time, you can make a bit of gold for yourself.

Book 3, Mountain Range of Magical Beasts Chapter 1, Stone Sculpting (part 1)

The warm, comfortable rays of the spring sun shone down upon the bros of dorm 1987, who were resting in their backyard.

Yale, George, and Reynolds were all engaged in idle conversation. By now, Yale and George were both 16 years old, while Reynolds was now 14. The three of them had quickly gained in height, and even the shortest Reynolds was now 1.6 meters tall. The tallest of them was Yale, at an astonishing 1.9 meters.

George, stop faking in front of the two of us. Even fourth bro has lost his virginity. Why are you and third bro still faking? How about this, at the end of this month, why dont you and third bro both go to Fenlai Citys Jade Water Paradise. Ill handle the expenses. I guarantee that both of you will be extremely comfortable, and Ill also guarantee that the girl will also be a virgin. Deal? Holding two small stone weights, Yale was doing a chest workout while laughing as he spoke.

Those two stone weights each most likely weighed around 20-30 pounds. Linley generally disdained such light weights.

George laughed as well. Boss Yale, stop trying to force us. Why dont you guys go to the Jade Water Heaven while third bro and I go drinking. Isnt that a better idea?

Reynolds mocked from the side, George, you, simply arent a man at all.

George could only laugh helplessly.

Suddenly, footsteps could be heard from outside the courtyard. Yale put down the two stone weights and headed towards the courtyard exit while saying, I bet it is third bro. Cmon, time to eat Before he finished his words, Yale suddenly went silent.

He saw Linley stride forward, carrying a huge rock on his shoulders, at least three feet high and a hundred pounds heavy.

But Linley clearly was carrying this boulder into the dorm with ease. Yale, George, and Reynolds all stared, slack-jawed. Linley casually set down the giant rock in a corner of the courtyard, and the weighty sound of the rock slamming into the ground made all their hearts tremble.

What the hell? Third bro, I know you are strong, but how are you this strong? Yale stared at the boulder. Is the boulder hollow or something? As he spoke, Yale moved forward and stretched out his hands, giving the boulder a test.

Hrrrrrngh!

Yale used all of his strength, and his entire face flushed dark red, but that giant boulder seemed to be rooted into the earth as it didnt budge at all.

Boss Yale, stop wasting your energy. Theres no way you can move it. Linley laughed.

Yales physical strength was weaker than that of even a warrior of the first rank. How could he lift it?

Reynolds stared at the boulder with round eyes. Letting out a few surprised breaths, he suddenly turned his head and stared at Linley questioningly. Hey, Linley, why did you bring such a huge boulder into our dorm? Oh, I know! Reynolds eyes lit up. Ive seen powerful warriors use their hands to lift up giant boulders as a form of weight training. Are you preparing to start weight lifting, Linley?

Such a huge boulder could smash me into meat paste. George stared at the boulder, also letting out a few surprised breaths before turning to look questioningly at Linley. Third bro, why did you bring this giant boulder into our apartment?

Linley smiled at his three bros, and he said two words: Stone sculpting!

Based on what Doehring Cowart had said, his sculptures were now qualified to be placed within the standard hall. But it took a lot of time to carve each piece, and usually a day wasnt enough. In the past, he could casually carve at the rear mountains without worrying about making mistakes, but now things were different.

Stone sculpting?

Reynolds, George, and Yale all stared at Linley, shock in their eyes.

What, is this really shocking? Linley looked back at his three bros.

Reynolds hurriedly said, It isnt shocking, no. It is extremely shocking! We four bros have lived together for six or seven years now, but Ive never seen you sculpt stone before. Are you planning to start training today?

Linley laughed, Who says Ive never been trained before? Ive been practicing stone sculpting in the rear mountains for over five years now, but this time, after I finish this piece, I plan to take it to the Proulx Gallery and display it there and see if it can be sold for any money.

In order to come up with a sufficient amount of money to allow his little brother, Wharton, have sufficient funds to go with Housekeeper Hiri to the OBrien Empire to request admittance and training, the Baruch clan had virtually exhausted all of its funds.

But despite this, Hogg was still very happy.

So what if his family had bankrupted itself? His elder son, Linley, was a student at the Ernst Institute, and upon graduation would definitely become a powerful magus. And his younger son, Wharton, had the possibility of becoming a Dragonblood Warrior.

Hogg could already foresee the dawning splendor of the Baruch clan!

The Proulx Gallery? Upon hearing this, Yale and the other two looked at Linley in shock.

Linley was the pride of their dorm, dorm 1987. Despite being just fifteen years old, he had entered the fifth grade at the Ernst Institute, and had been acclaimed alongside Dixie as one of the Two Ultimate Geniuses of the Ernst Institute. Yale and the others all acknowledged Linley as being a genius, but

Stonesculpting was an extremely profound art form.

Many people would painstakingly train for decades, but still only be considered ordinary sculptors. As an extremely ancient and long-lived art form, how could it be easy for stonesculpting to be mastered? How did Linley dare to dream that his artworks would be exhibited in the most venerated of art galleries, the Proulx Gallery?

Third bro, dont get too carried away. George joked in a consoling manner.

Linley, Im worriedyour sculpture, will anyone actually buy it? Reynolds frowned, a look of disbelief on his face.

Yale laughed loudly. Why are you guys acting like this? Third bro, go ahead and put on an exhibit. As long as you have an exhibit, Ill spend ten thousand gold to buy it and help spread your fame.

Im telling the truth. Linley retrieved a straight chisel from his clothes.

Straight chisel? Reynolds said in surprise. Linley, looks like youve made some preparations. But in the past, I was also prepared to learn stonesculpting, so I know that lots of tools are needed, including the straight chisel, the butterfly chisel, the triangular chisel, the jade bowl knife, and tools like saws. What, did you only prepare a single tool?

George, Reynolds, and Yale all knew at least some rudiments about art.

Linley didnt say too much.

Wielding his straight chisel, Linley naturally entered a tranquil mental state. His spirit could feel the earth essence flowing through the boulder in front of him, and could even sense, just barely, the veins in it. Smiling, Linley began to use the chisel.

The flashing chisel reflected the light of the sun, causing the nearby Reynolds and the others to squint. But all of them continued to stare at the boulder.

Whooooosh!

Wherever the shadow of the chisel fell, large pieces of stone began to fall as well.

How is this possible? Yale watched in astonishment. To remove such a large piece of rock, a saw should be used to chop it. He actually removed it with just a straight chisel. How astonishing must his wrist strength be? Next to him, Reynolds and George both fell totally silent.

Wrist strength?

To do this in such a manner as casually as Linley did, with every cut being perfectly even, was not something which could be accomplished just with strong wrists.

Linley was as tranquil as a pond of still water. The straight chisel in his left hand stretched out, quickly carving through all parts of the boulder, and pieces of excess stone continuously rained down. The natural, elegant manner in which Linley carved was a treat to watch.

Third bro, he.

Yale, George, and Reynolds exchanged glances. At this moment, they all felt in their hearts that perhaps Linley truly was an expert stone sculptor.

Tranquil. Natural. Peaceful.

Linley very much enjoyed the feeling of stone sculpting. At his current level, Linley didnt have to consider how much effort or strength should be used in any particular place. The straight chisel in his hands would naturally attain the most perfect usage of force. This was a subconscious effect.

Compared to the Straight Chisel School?

None of the other schools of stone sculpting could be so effortless. All the experts of the other schools had to consider which of the many various types of tools should be used for each part of the sculpture. This alone was exhausting.

In this natural, unrestrained manner, Linleys stonesculpting led his spiritual essence to rapidly grow, like the grass after a rain. That sensation of natural growth was extremely wondrous to Linley, making him feel comfortable from his very core.

Linleys right hand suddenly halted.

The flying dust and specks of stone took a bit longer to settle, but the outline of a crawling creature could be seen from the boulder.

Why are you guys standing there in a daze? All shocked? Linley laughed as he turned to look at Yale and the others. Ive just made a simple outline. Theres a lot more time and effort Ill have to spend later. Come on, lets get lunch.

Yale, George, and Reynolds all glanced at each other.

Just based on what Linley had just shown them, all three of them were sure of one thing:

Genius. Yale said admiringly.

A genius amongst experts. George added.

Even amongst stone sculptors, for someone to be able to reach Linleys level of proficiency in just five or six years was an event which occurred perhaps once in a century.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 10-26-14 at 08:25 PM.

Book 3, Mountain Range of Magical Beasts Chapter 2, Stone Sculpting (part 2)

Within the Huadeli Hotel.

Per Yale, Since we just found out today that Third Bro is an expert stonecarver, we absolutely must go out and celebrate. Lets go to the Huadeli Hotel. And just like that, the four of them had gone to the Huadeli Hotel. As soon as they stepped foot within, many students patronizing the hotel turned to stare at them.

The vast majority of the students gazes were focused on Linley.

Dixie, Linley!

The most prominent, standout geniuses of the Ernst Institute. Any place they went became a focal point of attention. From far away, many students began to chat amongst themselves in lowered voices.

The four bros were seated, now, and the dishes had just arrived.

Squeak squeak. Bebe, who had been napping lazily this entire time, stuck his little head from out of Linleys robes. His pair of slick, devilish little eyes stared at a gleaming roasted chicken on the table. Reynolds immediately grabbed the chicken and offered it to Bebe. Bebe, cmere.

Boss Linley, Im gonna go eat. Bebe immediately said mentally to Linley.

Before Linley even had the chance to reply, Bebe leaped onto the table, grabbed the chicken, and began to chomp down on it. In less than ten seconds, the entire roasted chicken had been totally devoured by a little Shadowmouse that was a full size smaller than it.

Third bro, each time when I see how fast Bebe eats, my heart cant help but shudder. Yale laughed.

After eating, Bebe turned around to look at Linley. Seeing grease cover Bebes paws, Linley couldnt help but frown.

Squeak squeak.

Bebe intentionally chirped out twice towards Linley, and then half-closed his eyes in a very self-delighted manner, while at the same time, his entire body radiated a black glow. The black aura expanded, and then, in the blink of an eye, disappeared. But Bebes two previously oily paws as well as tail was now absolutely clean.

Rubbing his small face, Bebe stared at Linley and chirped once, while saying mentally, Boss Linley, clean enough for ya?

Linley couldnt help but laugh.

Whoosh. With a flicker, Bebe once more burrowed his way into Linleys clothes.

And then, the four bros began to chat and eat.

Right, third bro, if you intend to deliver your sculptures to the Proulx Gallery, theres a few things you need to keep in mind. Yale reminded Linley.

Oh, what do I need to remember? Linley asked.

Linley didnt know a single thing about the system through which the Proulx Gallery accepted new sculptures.

Yale smiled. For most sculptures, on the lower left corner, the artist must leave an inscription of his name or pseudonym, signifying that this is your art. Thats the first thing. The second thing is that when the sculpture is delivered to the Proulx Gallery, it must be totally sealed and boxed. This is to prevent the sculpture from being damaged while being delivered to the gallery. When the sealed sculpture is delivered to the Proulx Gallerys warehouse, there will be people who will inspect it to see if it is in good condition, as well as take down a detailed recording of your own information. Usually, within three days or so, your artwork will be ready to be displayed at the standard display hall within the Proulx Gallery.

Linley nodded.

Leaving behind ones name on ones artwork was done in order to prevent others from falsely claiming the work was theirs.

Linley could also understand the reasoning for requiring the sculpture be boxed and sealed. Some sculptures are carved very exquisitely and delicately. In the shipping process, it is entirely possible that the sculpture might be damaged. If I totally seal it off, and also add lots of paper and cloth padding, it should be much safer.

What about pricing and bidding? How does the Proulx Gallery handle this? Linley asked.

The whole point of delivering the sculpture to the Proulx Gallery was for the sake of making money, so as to improve his familys economic situation.

Yale said delightedly, The sculptures are placed within the standard hall, and potential buyers are allowed to set any price they want. After a month, the highest bidder will receive the sculpture, while you will get your compensation. Naturally, the Proulx Gallery will receive a 1% transactional commission, with a hard limit of ten gold coins. If your sculpture exceeds a thousand gold coins in price, the commission of the gallery will still remain just ten gold coins.

Linley understood now.

Third bro, dont worry. Ill arrange for some people in Fenlai City to take care of everything. I guarantee itll all be to your satisfaction. Yale smiled towards Linley as he spoke. If the third bro of our dorm delivers a sculpture to the Proulx Gallery and it sells well, Ill gain a lot of face as well.

Off on the side, George couldnt help but sigh with praise. Third bro, by now, you are a fifth grade student. In the future, youll no doubt also be a master sculptor. Your future is boundless. Youll no doubt do much better than us.

A master sculptor? Dont flatter me. Linley laughed at himself.

The four bros chatted as they continued to drink and eat.

Living in the Ernst Institute really is comfortable, Yale suddenly sighed, putting down his wine cup. I remember when I was young and I lived at home, our family rules were extremely severe.

Reynolds quirked his lips as well. We are all students of the Ernst Institute. According to Grandpa Lomu, right now, the world is very chaotic. In the outside world, there is constant warfare and slaughter. The Ernst Institute is backed by the Radiant Church, so no one dares offend it. Thats the reason why our lives are so comfortable. In the future, when we go out and train in the real world, well see how cruel the world can be.

Absolutely correct.

Linley nodded and sighed. Im a fifth grade student now. Many of my fellow classmates have already gone training in the real world. From what they say, some students die in battle outside, and many are crippled or wounded. Without experiencing real life-and-death battles, it will be hard for us to grow.

We are just like the pets of the noble families. Our lives might be easy, but how can they compare to the viciousness of the real world? George also sighed. I really look forward to the bloody life and death battles which the high level students will engage in. Those exciting, blood-boiling lifestyles must be extremely stimulating.

George, Yale, Reynolds, and Linley were now all fifteen years old. In all of their hearts, there was a thirst for the exciting events of the outside world.

But Yale and the others were far too weak. If they embarked now on that lifestyle of life-and-death battles, their chance of death was far too high.

Linley, you are a fifth grade student now, yes? Reynolds suddenly said.

Yale and George also looked at Linley, their eyes gleaming.

Linley took a deep breath, and nodded. Right. I am now a magus of the fifth rank. I can be considered a high level magus now. In June, I plan to embark on a two month trip to the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, returning only in August. Linley had decided long ago.

The Mountain Range of Magical Beasts?

Yale, George, and Reynolds all sucked in a cold breath.

The Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, the largest mountain range in the Yulan continent, lay less than hundred kilometers east of the Ernst Institute. Many high level students did indeed venture there for their second or third training missions. But most students, for their first training expedition, would select some more ordinary locales.

For example, they might take on some low-risk assignments like being a bodyguard or escorting a caravan.

Linley, you plan to go to the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts for your very first training expedition? Reynolds couldnt help but ask. George and Yale were also worried.

Relax. I have full confidence.

Linley was rather confident in himself. As a magus of the fifth rank and a warrior of the fourth rank, he possessed great speed as a warrior which could be further supported by the wind-style spell, Supersonic. Based on his current speed, when combining his speed with this spell, Linley could reach the speed of a warrior of the sixth rank.

And even more importantly

Linley could utilize the high-level wind spell, Floating Technique.

Book 3, Mountain Range of Magical Beasts Chapter 3, A Night at the Jade Water Paradise

Time flowed on, and in the blink of an eye, it was now the end of May.

During the past two months, every day, Linley spent part of his free time in the meditative state, and the rest either practicing stonecarving or reading. The Ernst Institutes library held an enormous amount of books within it, and through reading these books, Linley was able to increase the breadth of his knowledge.

May 29th. Morning.

Linley, Yale, George, and Reynolds stood in the square in front of the Proulx Gallery. A nearby carriage contained within it three wooden crates. During these past two months, Linley had actually managed to produce nine new sculptures, but since this was his first time delivering art to the gallery, Linley just wanted to get a taste of how it all worked and thus only brought three.

Carry those three boxes, Yale directed.

Some servants from Yales clan began to lift and move the crates.

Third bro, come with me. Yale clearly was quite familiar with this road, and he headed directly towards the side of the Proulx Gallery. The Proulx Gallery took up a very large amount of space, and off to the side of the main entrance, a few hundred meters away, there was an unremarkable door, with a middle-aged man dressed in warrior attire standing in front of it.

When the middle-aged man saw Yale stride towards him, his eyes lit up and he immediately hurried over. Smiling, he paid his respects and said, Young master Yale, welcome!

Yale smiled and nodded. I imagine you already know why I am here. This is my good friend, Linley. These three sculptures are his. Where are your servants? Have them carry the sculptures inside.

Please wait. The middle aged man smiled and nodded.

Very soon, several movers emerged from the corridor, and the middle aged man smiled towards Linley. Young master Linley, per the rules of our Proulx Gallery, you need to leave behind your proof of identification. All you need to do is let us take down the details of your Ernst Institute student identification.

The student identification of the Ernst Institute was more than enough proof.

Linley withdrew his student identification.

Accepting the identification papers from Linley, the middle aged man glanced through them, and his eyes immediately lit up. Shocked, he raised his gaze back to Linley. Fifth grade? Linleys grade was very visible on the identification papers. For someone so young to reach the rank of a magus of the fifth rank was quite surprising indeed.

Yale couldnt help but say proudly, This brother of mine is one of the two ultimate geniuses of the Ernst Institute. Last year, when he was only fourteen years old, at the end-of-year exams, he reached the title of magus of the fifth rank.

One of the two ultimate geniuses of the Ernst Institute?

In his heart, the middle-aged man knew quite clearly that the future prospects for this young man standing in front of him, Linley, were boundless. His attitude immediately became much more obsequious. After recording down Linleys biographical details, he made a mark on each of the three crates.

Young master Linley, everything is handled. All you have to do, young master, is to come back in a month and collect your renumeration. The middle aged man smiled.

In a month? I dont have any time next month. Can we delay it to three months hence? Linley asked. Linley was planning to head to the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts in a week or two, and on this trip, he was planning on spending two months or so there.

No rush. As long as your sculptures find buyers, you can come back at any time to collect your fee. The middle aged man nodded.

Yale frowned. Hrm? Whats going on. I remember that in the past, before accepting sculptures, you would first inspect the contents of the crate. Why arent you doing an inspection this time?

The middle aged man said, The reason we inspect the insides of the crates is to prevent unscrupulous people from sending us some already-damaged sculptures. If we are unable to detect the damage, they might claim that the damage was caused by the gallery and try to extort us. But since these three particular sculptures have been delivered by young master Linley and you, young master Yale, I have no concerns. I am confident that someone like you, young master Yale, would not stoop to such actions.

The middle aged man knew exactly what he was doing.

What sort of person was Yale?

Extort the Proulx Gallery? The amount of money that he might be able to extort probably wouldnt even be enough to count as pocket change for him. And the creator of these sculptures, Linley, was known as one of the two ultimate geniuses of the Ernst Institute. How could people like them lower themselves to such base actions?

Day turned to night. On East Fenlai Citys main road, the Fragrant Pavilion Avenue. The third floor of the Jade Water Paradise. Linley and the other three had a room of their own.

The nights at Fenlai City were always quite busy.

But the nights within the Jade Water Paradise were even more bustling, having reached a peak of busy-ness. The coquettish laughs of women could be heard nonstop, while the roaring, heroic laughter of men also constantly sounded out. Within the private room, the four bros drank while making idle conversation, and by each of their sides was a delicate and pretty girl.

Second bro, third bro, Im going to go to bed, and fourth bro is as well. The two of you His arm draped around a girl with long, green hair, Yales breath smelled strongly of liquor.

Thats enough, boss Yale. Stop talking, alright? Linley interrupted Yales words.

Yale and Reynolds exchanged glances, then looked at Linley and George with contemptuous gazes. And then Yale and Reynolds, each of them with an arm around the waist of their respective companions, left the private room. For two years now, Linley and the gang had often come here.

Generally, Yale and Reynolds would go off to have fun, while Linley and George would at most drink a little and chat with the girls.

Young master Linley, weve known each other for two years now, but you. The green-haired girl seated next to Linley said in an unhappy voice.

Linley couldnt help but feel a headache coming.

Ira [Aila], if you are tired, you can go back and get some rest. I guarantee that when the time comes, you wont receive a single copper coin less than you deserve. Linley had no choice but to say coldly, causing the girl named Ira to no longer dare speak. It really was quite rare to see someone come to the Jade Water Paradise but only drink.

A white light shone forth from the Coiling Dragon Ring, and transformed itself into Doehring Cowart.

Doehring Cowart, face wreathed in smiles, looked at Linley. Jestingly, he said, Hey, Linley. Why do you have such a foul look on your face with such a girl in front of you? Alas, I, a venerable Saint-level Grand Magus, am now just a bodiless spirit. I cant touch a woman, even if I want to. And you, you punk, act in such a way?

Grandpa Doehring. Linley frowned unhappily as he said mentally to Doehring Cowart.

Doehring Cowart pursed his lips. Youve never gotten a taste of a woman. If you had, you wouldnt be acting in such a way.

Linley raised his head and stared outside the window, no longer paying any attention to that lecherous old Doehring Cowart. The cold outside air blew on his face, helping Linley to calm down.

The Mountain Range of Magical Beasts. What is it like, inside it?

In one or two weeks, Linley was going to head off on his journey. Within the Ernst Institute, Linley had heard many legends regarding the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, and had also heard much from Doehring Cowart. However, Linley had never gone himself. Thus, Linley had only his own imagination to rely on when trying to picture the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts.

In a week, lets go.

Staring outside the window, seeing the boundless night sky, Linley made up his mind.

Book 3, Mountain Range of Magical Beasts Chapter 4, The Price (part 1)

Within the Proulx Gallery. Elegant music wafted over everyone present, as all of the visitors silently inspected one sculpture after another.

The gallery was divided into the main gallery, the masters gallery, and the grandmasters gallery.

The main gallery took up an enormous amount of space, and also contained the most works of art. Towards the northeast corner of the gallery, there were three works of art, all of which emanated a very unique aura. Anyone who had spent time studying the art of sculpting would immediately sense the aura.

But there were more than ten thousand works of art in the gallery, and these three sculptures were thus like needles hidden within an ocean. It was quite difficult for anyone to pay them any mind.

Most of these sculptures feel hollow. They have a shape but no soul.

The 180-year old Count Juneau [Zhunuo] was slowly making his way through the main hall, his gaze flickering past one work of art after another. Count Juneau didnt have any other hobbies; the only thing he liked was sculptures. Every day, he would spent his morning strolling through the Proulx Gallery.

But within the main gallery, there were very few sculptures capable of attracting Count Juneaus interest.

Milord Count, have any sculptures struck your fancy? A beautiful attendant by his side said to him. Because Count Juneau came here every morning, all of the attendants working at the Proulx Gallery had become quite familiar with him.

Count Juneau shook his head and laughed. Havent found any yet.

Milord Count, the quality of the sculptures here is much inferior than that of the sculptures in the hall of masters and the hall of grandmasters. Why do you spend every morning here? The female attendant said curiously.

Count Juneau intentionally let out a mysterious laugh. You dont understand. There are countless sculptures within this main hall. Perhaps hidden within there are some good works. The feeling of panning for gold by sifting through mud is quite marvelous.

Oh? The attendant looked at Count Juneau questioningly.

Count Juneau didnt explain any further. He continued to appraise one sculpture after another without stopping, but when he reached those three works of art sculpted by Linley, his eyes lit up. Having appraised sculptures for over a century, he could immediately discern that these three sculptures were special.

Cool, natural, proud and aloof

Count Juneau couldnt help but praise.

The word was essence. For a work of art to be termed a good work of art, it had to have that certain special essence to it. At a single glance, Count Juneau could tell that these three works of art emanated a cool, proud, and aloof aura. It was this unique aura which had stopped Count Juneau in his tracks.

Come over here and help me place a bid. For these three sculptures, I am willing to bid a hundred gold coins each. Count Juneau said to the female attendant.

The female attendant beamed and immediately pulled out a records book. After recording down the registration number of each sculpture, she took out three pieces of paper and placed them next to the sculptures, with each piece of paper bearing the words hundred gold coins on them.

While the female attendant was doing her administrative work, Count Juneau continued to savor these three sculptures.

Wait a second! Juneaus shadowy eyes suddenly lit up again as he stared fixedly at the sculpture of the Velocidragon. How is it possible that the scaly armor on the back of the Velocidragon shares the same outline and line with the leg, as though it were all done as part of one series? Logically speaking, the scaly carapace should have been carved by a butterfly chisel, while the leg should have been carved using the straight chisel. No matter how careful one is, a sculptor cant possibly make the lines flow together 100% perfectly!

Count Juneau had studied sculpture for over a century.

Originally, he wasnt a particularly wealthy noble, but based on his keen sight, he had collected many sculptures at a low price which he would later sell at a much higher price. This was how Count Juneau had become one of the wealthy nobles of Fenlai City.

Can it be that it was carved using a single tool? Impossible, aside from the butterfly chisel, what tool could possibly have been used to carve out such perfect, exquisite details in each protruding scale? Count Juneau frowned, concentrating fiercely. He had never seen something so queer.

Milord Count? Seeing him in a daze, the female attendant couldnt help but call out to him softly.

Count Juneaus eyes flickered. He said to himself, I didnt expect that I would encounter such a unique work of art in the main hall of the Proulx Gallery. I cant let others notice it. If I bid a hundred gold coins, some people will take special notice of it. It might cause the price to dramatically increase.

Count Juneau immediately made his decision.

He would leave these sculptures alone for a few days, and come back later to bid on it during the final two days.

Help assist me in cancelling my offer. Count Juneau directly said to the woman next to him.

Cancel? The female attendant was startled. Based on their normal rules, once a bid was made, it could not be retracted. But Count Juneau was a very old, longstanding customer of the Proulx Gallery, and so the female attendant very matter-of-factly removed the three bidding stickers.

Might I ask milord Count why you have retracted your bid? The female attendant asked.

Count Juneau smiled mysteriously. No need for you to ask. Oh, right, I want to ask you, how many days have these three sculptures been on display?

The female attendant flipped through her records, then smiled. These three sculptures will be on display until June 30th. They were just brought here to the main hall yesterday.

Count Juneau nodded fractionally.

Alright, Ill wander around a bit. You can go ahead and do what you need to do. Count Juneau smiled.

But in his heart, Count Juneau secretly rejoiced. In his appraisal, the true valuation of these three sculptures should be in the range of three thousand gold pieces. An ordinary sculpture by a master was worth around a thousand gold pieces, and these three sculptures were all carved in a very unique manner. Just based on that alone, the actual valuation would be doubled.

Count Juneau continued to visit the gallery every day. Indeed, just as he had expected, because the Proulx Gallery had so many sculptures, nobody else had managed to discover these three sculptures. Even if someone had, they only felt that the sculptures looked nice, and couldnt see the true value of these sculptures.

June 10th.

Count Juneau once more arrived at the Proulx Gallery. Casually strolling about the main hall, he browsed through the selections. But once he reached the three sculptures, his face tightened. Next to each of the sculptures, there was a bidding slip.

Three stone sculptures, each one with a bid for three hundred gold coins.

Seeing this bid, Count Juneau inwardly seethed. Fool! Even if you saw the true value of the sculptures, why would you bid such a high price right off the bat? This will just draw more attention to it. Count Juneaus heart was filled with rage, but there was nothing he could do. He didnt have the authority to retract someone elses bid.

Everything unfolded just as he predicted and feared.

June 12th. Count Juneau once again reached the three sculptures. By now, the price had changed once again.

Five hundred gold coins? Count Juneaus eyes narrowed to slits. Seems like theres quite a few people who know quality when they see it.

Book 3, Mountain Range of Magical Beasts Chapter 5, The Price (part 2)

Count Juneau still refused to make a bid. He planned to make his bid on June 30th. As time flowed past, the valuation of the three sculptures continued to rise, but because even a master crafters work was valued at around a thousand gold, the price rose rather slowly.

500 gold coins. 510 gold coins. 515 gold coins.

The bids continued to rise slowly. By June 29th, they had only risen to 625 gold coins.

June 30th.

Count Juneau actually did not appear this morning, which was quite a rare occasion. He waited until nightfall, because the Proulx Gallery did not close until midnight. Linleys three sculptures would also be removed from the gallery at midnight.

The price yesterday was 625 gold coins. Ill make my bid at the end. Count Juneau smiled as he walked towards the three sculptures.

900 gold coins? What idiot made this bid? Upon seeing the highest bid, Count Juneaus heart exploded with fury.

The price yesterday was just 625 gold coins, but in a day, the price had risen so dramatically. Although Count Juneau was furious, there was nothing he could do. He decided to wait patiently, and after a long period of time, he finally looked up to see the clock up above.

Its already 11 PM. In an hour, the place will close. Count Juneau revealed a hint of a smile.

In Fenlai City, Count Juneau could be considered a middle-class noble. When he was young, Count Juneau was actually quite poor. Later, it was due to his shrewd investment in and collecting of sculptures that helped him slowly gain wealth. His current net worth was in the hundreds of thousands of gold coins. He could be considered a rather well off noble.

Count Juneau, you are here as well? A whiskered middle-aged man in a swallow shirt smiled as he walked over.

Upon seeing this person, Count Juneaus countenance changed, but he still was able to smile calmly. Count Demme [Demu]! Its almost eleven. Why are you here? But in his heart, Count Juneau felt that things had just taken a turn for the worse.

Count Juneau and Count Demme were both considered rather famous collectors of sculpture within the noble circles of Fenlai City.

Me? For these three sculptures, of course. Count Demme stroked his whiskers, then said contentedly, Count Juneau, take a look. The lines and aura of these three sculptures are so very mesmerizing. The master who was able to produce such a unique aura must surely also be a unique person.

Count Juneaus heart trembled.

Indeed

This Count Demme had also seen the value of these three sculptures. For him to arrive at eleven oclock most likely meant he had the same idea as Count Juneau.

Miss, come over here, please. Count Demme said quite courteously to a nearby female attendant, who walked towards them with a smile. Count Demme pointed at Linleys three sculptures. Im willing to pay a thousand gold coins for each one of these sculptures.

The attendant said courteously, Just a moment.

She took out a record book and made some notations before placing the bidding slips next to the sculptures.

A thousand gold coins? The facial muscles on Count Juneaus face twitched.

Count Demme said to him with a smile, Count Juneau, these three sculptures really are exceptional. Right, what brings you out here so late at night, rather than resting at home? Are you here for these three sculptures as well?

Count Juneau let out a light hum.

I didnt expect that Count Demme would be so interested in these three sculptures. Honestly, I hadnt paid them much attention yet. Let me take a good look first. Count Juneau smiled, then turned and began intensely studying the three sculptures, totally ignoring Count Demme.

Seeing the scene before him, Count Demme sneered mentally. Old fellow, do you really think you can hide your thoughts from me?

Like the murmurs of a river, the music continued to play in the main hall of the Proulx Gallery Count Juneau and Count Demme both quietly viewed various sculptures. The gallery remained as quiet as ever.

Dong. Dong. The clocks on the walls began to chime.

It was now midnight.

Miss, please come here. Count Juneau said to the attendant, who immediately ran over.

These three sculptures, I am willing to buy for 1010 gold pieces. Count Juneau made his bid at the last moment.

The attendant saw that the current bid on the sculptures was 1000 gold pieces. She couldnt help but glance sideways at Count Juneau. It was quite fortunate that Count Juneau had added ten pieces, and not just one.

Please wait a moment. The attendant took out her record book.

Count Juneau, you actually just overbid by ten gold pieces? Ill offer 1100 gold pieces! Count Demmes voice rang out. Count Juneau frowned as he turned to stare at Count Demme, who was casually striding over with a jocular air, an arrogant look in his eyes.

As it turned out, Count Demme had been paying attention to Count Juneau this entire time, and as soon as Count Juneau made his bid, he came over.

I bid 1200. Count Juneau said in a low voice, his fury clearly visible. Seeing the oncoming struggle between the two nobles, the attendant closed her record book and stood off to the side, happily watching the battle. The attendants of the Proulx Gallery loved to see customers enter bidding wars.

Count Demme glanced at Count Juneau with astonishment. Count Juneau, even the sculptures in the hall of the masters is worth only around a thousand gold coins. How could a frugal man such as you be willing to pay 1200 gold?

Frugal?

Miserly was the word! Count Juneau was notorious for his miserliness.

Count Juneau, if even you are willing to bid 1200, then I cant be stingy either. 1300 gold pieces!

Count Juneaus gaze was ice cold. The only reason why I am willing to offer a high price for these three sculptures is because I am fond of them. Their real value is only around a thousand gold or so. 1500 gold pieces! If you, Count Demme, are willing to make a higher bid, then you can take them. Count Juneau made his final offer.

In all honesty, Count Demme was not as insightful as Count Juneau. He didnt discover the unique, strange aura to these statues.

In Count Demmes eyes, these statues didnt hold any secrets. They were just three good pieces of art, worth a thousand gold or so. If he raised the price any further, there wouldnt be much point.

Haha. Count Demme laughed. Its so rare for Count Juneau to be so refreshingly magnanimous in his bidding. In honor of this occasion, I certainly cant rob a man of his beloved possessions. These three sculptures are all yours, Count Juneau.

Only now did the attendant step forward again and begin recording the bid into her book.

Milord Counts, it is already midnight. The gallery is about to close. Count Juneau, tomorrow I will arrange for people to deliver the sculptures to you. The attendant smiled. Only now did Count Juneau also smile.

Count Juneau flicked a glance at Count Demme, feeling scornful. Kid. How many years have I spent analyzing stonesculpting? You dont have any insight, and you still want to bid against me?

Book 3, Mountain Range of Magical Beasts Chapter 6, The Invitation

Hrm, there were three sculptures in the main hall which sold for 1500 gold pieces each? Austoni [AoSiTuoNi], a manager at the Proulx Gallery, stared at the records in astonishment. After flipping through the biographical details of the sculptor, Linley, he couldnt help but be even more amazed. These three are all made by Linley, and hes only fifteen?

The world of sculpture was definitely that of a pyramid.

The entire Holy Alliance had only five or six grandmaster level sculptors who stood at the peak of this field, and perhaps a hundred or so master sculptors. From this, one could imagine how rare these experts were. Usually, someone who could be termed a master sculptor was someone who had an understanding of life and whose skill in this art was such that he could infuse this understanding into his sculptures. Only then would their sculptures have special auras.

A fifteen year old master sculptor?

All but unheard of!

And this Linley fellow is a student at the Ernst Institute? Austoni was growing more and more shocked. The Ernst Institute was the number one magus academy in the entire Yulan continent. And he is a student of the fifth class? A fifteen year old student of the fifth class?

Austoni sucked in a cold breath.

Genius!

Even if these three sculptures were only worth a thousand gold apiece, based on the age of the sculptor alone, the true value of these sculptures would definitely be several times greater. Austoni became absolutely convinced of this.

For a fifteen year old sculptor to be able to produce sculpture at this level meant that the value of his artwork would be exponentially greater.

For this fifteen year old sculptor to also be a student at the Ernst Institute meant that he was a genius amongst geniuses. Once again, this would multiply the value of his sculptures.

This afternoon, I am going to the Ernst Institute. It has been quite some time since the Proulx Gallery has enrolled a new master sculptor amongst our ranks. Austoni made his decision. By virtue of the fact that all three of his sculptures had fetched a high price, Linley clearly had proved his worth.

He was fully qualified to be invited to have his sculptures displayed in a private booth in the hall of masters.

That very afternoon.

A horse carriage drew up outside the main gates of the Ernst Institute. It was Austoni and two guards. Arriving at the main gate, Austoni took out his identification showing himself to be a manager at the Proulx Gallery. The Ernst Institute actually deployed one of their own guards to escort him.

At the instructional areas for the fifth grade students at the Ernst Institute.

Mr. Austoni, this is where most of the instructors for the magi of the fifth rank congregate. Smiling, the escort pushed the door open. Currently, around ten or so magi were here, chatting and laughing. To be qualified to instruct magi of the fifth rank, one would be a magi of the seventh or perhaps even the eighth rank.

As the door opened, these magi of exalted rank all turned to look.

Milords, this is Mr. Austoni of the Proulx Gallery. He has some business with he would like to beseech your aid for. The escort said respectfully.

The magi all nodded calmly.

The Proulx Gallery had multiple branches in all of the kingdoms and empires in the Yulan continent, and it possessed astonishing power and influence. Thus, even proud, arrogant magi would be fairly cordial when dealing with the Proulx Gallery.

Milords magi. Austoni said with a smile. Im here in search of a student named Linley?

Linley?

All of the magi laughed. Amongst them, a purple robed magi said with a smile, Linley? Thats one of the two utmost geniuses of the Ernst Institute. He is a dual-element magus, wielding earth and wind. Go speak with his wind-element instructor. He might know.

You can forget about the earth element instructor. This Linley fellow, in the past three months, has only shown his face twice in our earth element classes. A whiskered old man said unhappily. But Linley attends virtually every single wind element class.

Another bearded elder said with a smile, I am Linleys wind element instructor. Im fairly knowledgeable about him. If you have any questions, you can ask me.

Austoni nodded. A month ago, Linley brought three sculptures over to the Proulx Gallery. His sculptures already possess the grandeur of a master. Based on the price it fetched this month, we have determined that Linley is qualified to have his sculptures displayed in a private booth in the hall of the masters. Thus, I have come to gift him with a silver magicard.

A private booth?

Those magi were all amazed.

These proud, lofty magi were all fairly knowledgeable when it came to sculptures. They all knew that it was extremely hard to even carve a physically perfect sculpture, much less one with a special aura or essence. To have a private booth at the Proulx Gallery was the dream of countless sculptors.

Are you sure it was Linley? This Linley fellow is normally quite diligent and hardworking in his studies. And he is only fifteen years old. Linleys wind element instructor, that silver haired, white robed old man said disbelievingly.

Austoni smiled. This is beyond any question. At the Proulx Gallery, we recorded down all of Linleys biographical data. And, based on our data, he came to the Proulx Gallery in the company of young master Yale.

Those magi all nodded.

And then, they all began to talk amongst themselves animatedly. One of the two utmost geniuses of the Ernst Institute was actually a master sculptor as well. For a genius magus to be able to secure a private booth at the Proulx Gallery was something which would rarely occur even a single time over the course of a thousand years.

Naturally, these magi were all amazed.

Milords magi, can any of you inform me where Linley is residing? Austoni asked.

That silver haired, white robed elder said, Linley resides in dorm 1987.

Dorm 1987? Hearing this, Austoni was about to head there right away.

The silver haired, white robed elder continued, But please wait. Although Linley lives in dorm 1987, I happen to know that three weeks ago, he departed from the school to engage in training. Thus, unfortunately, Im afraid you came here for nothing.

Training? Austoni started.

Austoni knew quite well that magi of the fifth and sixth ranks were qualified to engage in real world field training. The Ernst Institute also strongly encouraged this practice.

Austoni couldnt help but sigh.

He didnt expect that despite rushing to the Ernst Institute so enthusiastically, this would be the end result.

Then milords magi, I will take my leave. Austoni bowed respectfully. Those magi all nodded casually towards him, signifying acceptance, and no longer paid him any heed. All of them began to excitedly chat amongst themselves.

I didnt imagine that this kid Linley is so formidable

All of these magi instructors were unable to stop praising Linley who, without anyone knowing, was able to qualify to have a private booth at the Proulx Gallery.

Book 3, Mountain Range of Magical Beasts Chapter 7, The Journey (part 1)

Let us go back in time a few weeks, to June 5th.

This afternoon, Linley bid farewell to his three bros. Carrying a leather sack on his back, Linley headed on the road to the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts.

Squeak squeak! The little Shadowmouse squeaked happily from his perch on Linleys shoulders.

Boss, were finally headed to the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts. Wow, Im so excited! The little Shadowmouses voice rang out in Linleys head. Linley just smiled. At this time, a white ray of light shone out and transformed into Doehring Cowart.

Doehring Cowart instructed, Linley, when travelling alone, you must be careful. Perhaps you will meet with bandits.

I know, Grandpa Doehring. Linley laughed.

Grandpa Doehring had already repeated his warnings over and over about the dangers of traveling solo. Right now, Linley was dressed in sturdy cloth slacks and a sleeveless shirt. Just judging from his bulging alone, anyone would definitely be certain that he was a warrior.

Per Grandpa Doehring, in the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, a mages robes would be rather unwieldy and get in the way.

Linley moved very quickly. Although the road from the Ernst Institute to the mountain range was rather rough, based on Linleys stamina as a warrior of the fourth rank, in a single hour he easily traversed forty kilometers. Just at this time, he suddenly saw three people up ahead.

Hrm? Linleys gaze focused on one person in particular.

That person was actually dressed in the robes of a student of the Ernst Institute. Of the other two, one was extremely muscular and bore a giant warblade on his back. The other man was extremely skinny, and had a shortsword sheathed by his side. That skinny man alertly turned his head and stared at Linley.

Linley couldnt be bothered to pay attention to them, and just sped up, preparing to pass them by.

Linley, is that you? A voice suddenly said.

Linley turned his head questioningly. That man dressed in the robes of a magus of the Ernst Institute smiled and called out, Linley, Im Delsarte [Deshate], remember me?

Oh, Delsarte, its you! Linley came to a halt.

Linley actually knew this Delsarte.

Delsarte, like him, was a wind magus of the fifth grade class. Although they couldnt be considered to have a deep friendship, they were classmates after all.

Delsarte brought the two warriors over, smiling as he warmly said, Linley, I didnt expect that you, a magus, would be dressed like this. I barely recognized you. Only when I saw that little Shadowmouse on your shoulder did I realize it was you.

Kava [Kawa], Matt [Mate], let me introduce you. This is Linley, one of the two ultimate geniuses of our Ernst Institute. Hes only fifteen years old, but he is already a magus of the fifth rank. Delsarte enthusiastically introduced.

Kava was that muscularly built warrior, while Matt was the skinny warrior.

Ive long heard Delsarte talk about the two ultimate geniuses of the Ernst Institute. I didnt expect that today we would have the good fortune to meet you. Matt said courteously, while Kavas eyes widened as round as an ox. You are a magus? Why do you look like a warrior to me?

Linley didnt explain. All of you are heading to the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts?

Delsarte nodded. Right. Kava and Matt travelled with me last year for field training. We have good teamwork. This year, we plan to do some exploration around the borders of the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts. Linley, you should come with us. In a group, well all be safer.

Linley nodded.

Ill travel with them for now. Delsarte is a classmate of mine, so he should be trustworthy. When we reach the mountains, well split up. After making his decision, Linley and Delsartes trio all headed towards the mountains together.

The four of them travelled at very high speed.

Even the physically weak Delsarte was able to move rapidly through usage of the wind-style spell Supersonic. Thus, their group moved quickly through the barren roads.

Kavas loud voice rumbled, Linley, if you join with us, then we would have two magi of the fifth rank. When the four of us work together, we might even be able to kill a magical beast of the sixth rank. The magicite cores of magical beasts of the sixth rank are worth around a thousand gold apiece. If we kill a few of them, we wont have to worry about our living expenses for a century.

For most people, in a year, ten gold pieces was more than enough for living expenses.

A thousand gold coins was an enormous sum.

Linleys heart was swayed. In the back of his mind, he suddenly was reminded of the books regarding magical beasts he had read. These books had discussed the energy core all magical beasts had within them; the magicite cores.

These magicite cores will solidify in the bodies of beasts of the third rank and higher. But for beasts which have not reached the sixth rank, the value of the cores is not high. They probably arent even worth as much as one of my sculptures. Linley thought to himself.

However, the magicite cores of magical beasts of the sixth rank were still only worth about a thousand gold.

Based on Doehring Cowarts calculations, Linleys sculptures were definitely qualified to be displayed in the hall of the masters, with a valuation of around a thousand gold or so each. Killing a magical beast of the sixth rank, in terms of difficulty and danger, was something that was far deadlier than sculpting.

At the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, my primary goal is to train myself. Acquiring magicite crystals? Thats just a side benefit. Linley said to himself as he looked at the other three.

Delsarte and the others were engaged in enthusiastic speculation. Clearly, they were very excited about acquiring magicite cores.

The magicite cores of magical beasts of the third, fourth, and fifth ranks arent worth much. Even cores from beasts of the sixth rank are just worth a thousand or so. Delsarte said, shaking his head unconcernedly. If we can kill a magical beast of the seventh rank, then we will be rich. When he said these words, Delsartes eyes gleamed.

Just like humans, where between magi of the sixth rank to the seventh rank was a huge gap, magical beasts of the sixth rank had a huge gap in power compared to magical beasts of the seventh rank.

The magicite cores of a magical beast of the seventh rank were worth tens of thousands of gold pieces.

If they could kill just one, in the countryside, they would be considered extremely wealthy and not have to worry about money for the rest of their lives.

A magical beast of the seventh rank? Based on our ability, that would be a deathwish. Linley said casually.

Linley had witnessed the power of the Velocidragon, a magical beast of the seventh rank. Linley, at his current rank, probably couldnt even break through the Velocidragons terrifyingly protective scales. If he couldnt even pierce its defense, how could he possibly try to kill a magical beast of the seventh rank? How was that possible?

That sly-looking fellow, Matt, nodded. Its hard to say if the four of us would even be able to defeat a magical beast of the sixth rank. Fighting with a magical beast of the seventh rank is suicide.

Im just making small talk. Delsarte rubbed his head as he pursed his lips.

Just as the four of them were talking and laughing, in a mountain forest a hundred meters behind them, a man wearing green clothes and with leaves covered all over his face was staring coldly at them.

This mans mouth was moving nonstop, apparently mumbling the words to a magical spell.

At the same time, the longbow in his hands had been pulled to the limit. Suddenly, the arrow shot out, flashing with a cold blue light. It tore through the air at a terrifyingly rapid speed, traversing the hundred meters in the blink of an eye.

Linley, who was engaging in idle talk with the group, suddenly felt all the hairs on his body stand up. His heart immediately reached a maximum level of tension.

Danger!

Linley quickly dodged to the side. Whooosh! That high speed arrow shot past him like a bolt of lightning, piercing through the body of the robed Delsarte. It pierced through his torso, leaving behind a gaping hole as it flew another few dozen meters before halting.

Clutching his throat, Delsartes eyes turned round. Some indistinct words gargled in his mouth as fresh blood spewed forth from the wound in his chest.

Urgurg Delsartes eyes were filled with a longing for life. They were filled with horror and fear, but as the blood continued to pour out from the gaping hole in his chest, quite quickly, all life fled from Delsartes eyes, and he collapsed.

Linley, Kava, and Matt all quickly flattened themselves against the grass as they alertly looked behind them.

Book 3, Mountain Range of Magical Beasts Chapter 8, The Journey (part 2)

A wind-element magus-archer. Based on how that arrow of his melded both the Supersonic and Precision spells, this wind-element magus-archer must have at least reached the fifth rank. Doehring Cowarts voice rang out in Linleys mind. Based on this fellows prowess, if he gets within fifty meters of you, even if you are able to dodge, you will still suffer a severe injury. Flee!

Linleys heart trembled.

Give up all your valuables, and Ill spare your lives. A cold voice rang out, and then over ten men dressed in dark green burst out of the forest. All of them were wielding longbows, with shortswords at their waists. These ten people stared coldly at Linley and the other two while pressing closer and closer.

But the speaker did not appear.

Linley and the others glanced at each other. They didnt hand over their valuables. They only watched warily as the archers approached.

Fire! That cold voice rang out again. The wind-element magus behind them was quite decisive. Since Linley and the other two didnt immediately surrender, he immediately issued the order to kill.

Twang twang twang twang.

With abruptness, the archers all shot their arrows, and the arrows soared towards Linleys group, who hurriedly dodged. In addition to dodging, Kava also used the huge warblade in his hands to block some arrows.

Linley executed the wind-style spell Supersonic, allowing himself to dodge aside easily while still maintaining enough presence of mind to watch the other two. Matt was dodging nonstop, quite precise and quite careful, while also using his shortsword to deflect arrows.

But Kava was not as agile. While wielding a giant warblade, he clearly could not move very quickly. He was primarily using his giant warblade as well as a thin layer of battle-qi to defend himself. And indeed, the threat of those arrows was not too high; a warrior of the fifth rank could withstand them.

Raaawr, die! Kava roared furiously, charging forward towards the archers with his warblade in hand.

Seeing this, a killing gaze appeared in the eyes of the wind-style magus-archer hiding in the forest. He once more drew the bowstring to his longbow and began to chant the words to the Supersonic and Precision spells, causing his longbow and arrow to glitter with gold and blue light.

Roaring furiously, Kava continued charging towards the archers, but halfway there, he suddenly sensed a blue gleam flash before him. Before he was able to react, the arrow was right there, in front of him, terrifying him to the point that cold sweat instantly drenched his clothes. He immediately lifted up his giant warblade to block. But however

Argh!

The arrow pierced straight into his skull.

Ah Kava stood there stupidly, his eyes filled with disbelief. He clearly had been able to use his warblade to block the arrow. How did it kill him? His eyes filled with disbelief and questions, all the light faded from his gaze and he toppled down, like a collapsing mountain.

The far away Linley felt his heart tremble.

The wind-style supportive spell, Precision. It really is precise! As a wind-style magus, Linley knew very well that this supportive spell, Precision, when used to support an archer, could cause the archers arrows to undergo minute course corrections enroute to its target.

For example, just now, Kava did indeed get his warblade up in time to block, but just by adjusting its direction slightly, the arrow went straight through Kavas skull.

Wind-style magic, when paired with a longbow, really is terrifying. Linley felt secretly shocked, but in the next instant, he immediately began to chant the words to a magical spell.

The two of you had best surrender obediently. That cold voice rang out once more from the forest, and the ten or so archers also laughed arrogantly. A wind-style magus-archer required both powerful magical abilities as well as sufficient physical strength to utilize a longbow properly.

A wind-style magus-archer was an extremely terrifying long-range attacker.

A murderous gaze flashing through Linleys eyes, as he stared at those ten archers as though they were just corpses.

Crack! Crack! Crack! Crack!

Suddenly, the earth trembled, and one earthen spear after another erupted from beneath the ten archers. One sharp, gleaming stone spear after another pierced into the legs and chests of the archers, filling the ground with fresh blood and the air with their screams.

Earth-style spell of the fifth rank Earthen Spear Array!

Ahhh! Miserable cries split the air.

Dozens of earthen spears had erupted simultaneously from beneath them, each spear over a meter high. In the blink of an eye, the troop was pierced by the dense array of spears, which had caught them unawares, like a devastating ambush. All of the ten archers entered a state of pain and despair.

Leader, save us, save us! A man who had been impaled in the stomach cried out miserably.

Ah, ah! Another archer who had been pierced through in his thighs also cried out with pain.

Of the troop of archers, four died on the spot, while nearly ten of them were severely injured. Their combat ability had essentially been destroyed.

An earth-style magus!

The archer hidden in the woods felt greatly shocked. Him and his men had been hidden here, on the outskirts of the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, for quite some time now, ambushing and killing travelers, and had accumulated quite a bit of treasure.

Generally, when he launched his ambush, he would first kill the enemys magus!

An enemy magus, after all, could also launch long range attacks. Therefore, they posed the greatest risk. He didnt expect that after killing one magus, another one would show himself.

Lets go.

Taking advantage of his opponents being caught off guard, Linley immediately utilized the Supersonic spell to increase his speed to its maximum limits, hurriedly scurrying away and disappearing off into the distance. Linley knew quite well that he had no way to attack the magus-archer hiding in the woods.

Their distance was too great, and even magic had range limitations. But if he closed in on the magus-archer, he perhaps wouldnt be able to block the assault of a wind-element magus-archer.

Running away at maximum speed, Linley fled nearly thirty kilometers.

Boss, whyd you run away? That magus-archer mightve posed some risk to you, but if I were to attack, I wouldve killed his *** easy. Why didnt you let me killm? The little Shadowmouse Bebe mentally grumbled angrily to Linley.

Linley knew quite well how powerful the little Shadowmouse Bebe had become.

When Linley was just eight years old, the little Shadowmouse already had a speed surpassing that of a warrior of the sixth rank. But seven years later, with Linley fifteen years of age, although Bebes physical size had not changed, his speed was almost on par with that of a warrior of the ninth rank!

Based on the little Shadowmouses speed, that magus-archer probably wouldnt even be able to aim at him.

This is my training excursion. I should try to resolve everything based on my own ability. Linley explained.

Jumping onto Linleys shoulders, the little Shadowmouse scratched at Linley as angry squeaking sounds came from his sharp teeth. Mentally, he was angrily shouting at Linley, Boss, you are going too far! I also need to train, I also need to fight!

Looking at the little Shadowmouse, Linley couldnt help but laugh. Fine, when we reach the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, if we run into any powerful monsters, Ill let you fight them, deal?

Thats more like it. The little Shadowmouse sat up, folding his little paws over his chest. His little nose wrinkled as he beamed happily.

Just at this moment, the dark, grim sky was shattered with a crash as bolts of lightning lit up the world, followed by the echoing thunder.

Looks like its going to storm hard soon. Linley frowned.

Linley immediately sped up, hastening towards the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts. By the time Linley was just ten or so kilometers away from the mountains, the first drops rain began to fall, followed by torrential showers which flooded the land.

Rumble

The sound of thunder sounded out again and again, while the torrential rain continued to cover the lands with water. It felt as though the entire world had been flooded.

But not much rain fell on Linley, who continued to forge ahead with rapid speed. This was because ten centimeters above Linley, there was a wind shield of approximately one meter in diameter. The defensive ability of the wind shield spell was quite high. Linley only had to use a tiny bit of mageforce in order to allow it to block the rain constantly.

As the wind itself was formless, the wind shield, as well, appeared like just a translucent, faint blue streak.

From far away, one simply couldnt tell that there was a wind shield there. Thus, using this wind shield, Linley rapidly forged ahead. After a bit of time, Linley saw a long, sinuous range of mountains, running north to south with no end in sight. This mountain range, which virtually split the Yulan continent into two halves, was the number one mountain range in the world the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts.

Seeing the titanic mountains just a few kilometers away, Linley couldnt help but hold his breath.

What a huge mountain range

This mountain range was simply too enormous. Based on the naked eye, as far as one could tell, the mountains were limitless, and as far north and as far south as one could see, there were mountains. Seeing the boundless mountains in this mountain range was like seeing the boundless water in the sea.

It stretched into infinity!

This is the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, the number one mountain range in the continent. How many magical beasts does it hold? How many Saint-level magical beasts, for that matter? At this moment, Doehring Cowart appeared by Linleys side, his gaze distant and lofty. It has been a long time since I have come to the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts.

A look of excitement shone from Linleys eyes.

Lets go!

Filled with a heroic air, Linley charged through the all-encompassing rainstorm towards the mountain range, while the little Shadowmouse, Bebe, squeaked excitedly from Linleys shoulders. Under the cover of the rainstorm, Linley quickly entered the endless mountains.

Book 3, Mountain Range of Magical Beasts Chapter 9, The Mountain Range of Magical Beasts (part 1)

The Mountain Range of Magical Beasts was vast and boundless.

Within it, Linley could see ancient pines that were centuries or millennia old, blotting out the landscape. All sorts of various grasses filled the land, and thistles and thorns were equally commonplace. Dry leaves covered the land, with each step, they crackled and popped. Ancient vines and weeds could be seen everywhere.

With all of these weeds, dense vines, and trees which have been around for who-knows-how-long, even if a magical beast were just ten meters away from me, I still probably wouldnt sense it. Linley grew apprehensive.

Grandpa Doehring appeared by his side as well.

Ten meters? Linley, even in the grass right in front of you, there could be a magical beast in wait, such as a giant snake. Doehring Cowart laughed as he spoke.

Linley involuntarily glanced at the grassy area in front of him, which was almost half as tall as him. Such thick, tall grass really could hide a snake. Taking a deep breath, Linley stood there as he began to mumble the words to a spell.

Suddenly, a gentle gust of wind emanated from Linley, spreading about in all directions before finally dissipating.

Wind-style magic Windscout!

Generally speaking, a magus of the third rank would be able to execute the Windscout spell. But of course, the more powerful a magus was, the wider an area the Windscout spell could cover. The Windscout spell of a magus of the third rank would only affect an area of around ten or so meters around him, but the Windscout of a magus of the fifth rank had a diameter of over a hundred meters.

Within a hundred meters, the only magical beasts around are a magical beast of the first rank, a Bubblerat, and a few magical beasts of the second rank, Earth Scorpions. Linley said confidently.

The Windscout spell could discern the aura and lifescent of any living creature.

Dont be too cocky. A powerful magical beast could burrow under the earth, and some Saint-level magical beasts can even disguise their power level. Doehring Cowart reminded, but then he chuckled. But of course, if they wanted to deal with a little fellow like you, would a Saint-level magical beast bother to hide its power?

But upon hearing these words, Linley grew all the more cautious.

Ambush through disguising power levels? In some books, it was said that the intelligence of magical beasts rivals that of mans. Looks like its true. Linley said to himself. Glancing at the little Shadowmouse, Bebe, on his shoulders, he thought, This little fella, Bebe, already has a really high level of intelligence. I cant let my guard down.

Air swirled around Linleys feet. This was part of the byproduct of Linleys Supersonic spell.

Linley quietly passed into the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts. He carefully surveyed his surroundings, while on his shoulders, the little Shadowmouse, Bebe, also perked up and stared in all four directions, his beady little black eyes peering about him. Slowly, the two of them travelled deeper and deeper into the mountains.

The Mountain Range of Magical Beasts is over ten thousand kilometers long, with an average width of seven or eight hundred kilometers. In the outermost hundred kilometer region, the magical beasts are mostly of low rank. If we go more than a hundred kilometers deep, well meet lots of magical beasts of the fifth and sixth ranks. If we go still deeper inside, we will see many beasts of the seventh, eighth, and ninth ranks, and perhaps even Saint-level magical beasts.

Doehring Cowart once more began to lecture Linley about the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts.

But of course, nothing is absolute. Perhaps a magical beast of the ninth rank might be bored and go for a stroll in the outer territories. Doehring Cowart said. And perhaps you might be so unlucky as to meet with a huge, ten-thousand unit strong pack of wolf monsters. If that happens, all I can say is, you have terrible karma.

Hearing Doehring Cowarts words, Linleys lips pursed.

That went without saying!

The Mountain Range of Magical Beasts was enormous. How could he be so unlucky? But if he was, Doehring Cowart, who survived only as a spirit, would not be able to assist him in any way. A Saint-level Grand Magus without mageforce had no way to attack.

Grandpa Doehring, I know this already. Be quiet and dont distract me. Linley said discontentedly.

Doehring Cowart immediately chuckled. Stroking his white beard, he no longer spoke.

The Mountain Range of Magical Beasts was a place of deep mountains and ancient trees. The trees were so thickly clustered that virtually all of the rain was blocked, with just a few drops occasionally sprinkling down. After walking for a period of time, he realized that this outer region was indeed not that dangerous.

Linley exerted some strength with his legs, and almost as if he were floating, leapt up on top of a seven or eight meter high tree branch as he carefully scanned about.

Boss, far away to the right, theres a wild pig. Bebes voice sounded out in Linleys mind.

Hearing these words, Linley couldnt help but turn and look. Indeed, approximately a hundred meters away, a wild boar with a single horn was carefully scanning his surroundings. If Linley didnt have such a high vantage point, Linley perhaps wouldnt have been able to see this Unicorn Boar.

Unicorn Boar, a magical beast of the third rank, an earth-element creature. The only technique it has is that of the Earth Spear technique. Some information regarding the Unicorn Boar came to Linleys mind.

Even though its just a beast of the third rank, at least it will serve for dinner. Boar flesh is quite tasty. Nimbly and vigorously, Linley crept through the trees as he stealthily approached the boar. Due to the density of the local flora, the boar had not noticed Linley either.

When he got within ten meters of the boar, Linley lay down flat in the grass. Peering through the dense grass, he could still make out the outline of the Unicorn Boar.

Whoosh!

Like a serpentine dragon leaving its lair, Linley leapt out from the grass. When the Unicorn Boar turned his head and stared in shock, Linley fell down upon it like a gust of wind. The Unicorn Boar let out an indignant roar, and thrust its long, thick horn straight at Linley.

Hrrg! Linley reached out with his left hand and grabbed the horn and gave a tremendous tug.

That huge Unicorn Boar, weighing several hundred kilograms, was tossed up seven or eight meters up into the air by Linley, who then began to fiercely kick at it with his left leg, using it like a giant claymore and slamming it into the boars head with thunderous power and speed.

Thud. With a sickening, bone-crunching sound, the Unicorn Boar was kicked into a tree. When it fell down to the ground, the very earth shook. The bones of the Unicorn Boar had already been shattered, and brain matter had already begun leaking out from its shattered skull. A trail of fresh blood streamed forth from its mouth. Its four limbs quivered momentarily, then grew still.

Just based on his prowess as a warrior, killing a Unicorn Boar was not a tough feat for Linley.

Although the magicite core of a magical beast of the third rank is only worth ten or so gold coins, I cant let it go to waste. Linley withdrew the straight chisel from his backpack, and with just two or three simple slices, he cut the boar open. An entirely unremarkable earth-colored magicite crystal rolled out. Linley wiped it off on the grass, then placed it in his backpack.

And then, with practiced ease, Linley skinned the boar and cut off the boars legs.

After casually chopping down a few branches, with a flick of his wrist, Linley summoned forth a small flame. As the fire began to grow, Linley began to roast the boar legs.

The little Shadowmouse, Bebe, began to drool. His eyes were fixed on the boar legs. Boar legs are delicious. Boss, hurry up, hurry up. Why dont you just directly use your fire-element magic to roast the boar, wouldnt that be faster?

Fire-element magic? I only have a bit of fire element mageforce. And whats more, when it comes to cooking, using higher temperatures isnt necessarily superior. Linley smirked as he spoke, withdrawing some coarse salt and other ingredients from his backpack.

When Linley had originally tested for magical aptitude, he had exceptional affinity for both earth and wind elemental essence, but just average affinity for fire elemental essence. Honestly speaking, for an ordinary person, average affinity for an elemental essence was quite good. But for someone like Linley, he couldnt be bothered to spend time and energy working on his fire magic.

After all, if he wanted his abilities in fire magic to match his abilities in wind and earth, he would probably have to spend ten times as much time.

Thus, Linley would usually just casually refine a little bit of fire element mageforce. He did, however, definitely have enough to generate some fireballs without any problems.

After finishing roasting two boar legs, Linley and Bebe each shared one while Linley began to work on roasting the other two.

Wow. Delicious. Bebe chatted while eating enthusiastically. This wild boar tastes so much better than those farm-grown hogs. It tastes so fragrant. But naturally, your roasting abilities also played a big role, boss. Bebe was so happy that he even began flattering Linley a bit.

Linley couldnt help but start to laugh.

Boss, I want more. After finishing one leg, Bebe looked at Linley with a pitiful expression.

Seeing Bebes sad gaze, Linley didnt feel sorry for him in the slightest. He sternly lectured, This boar leg is way larger than a roast duck. One leg is more than enough for you. The other two legs will be dinner. After speaking, Linley turned away and ignored Bebes pitiable face.

After finishing roasting the two legs, Linley used two large leaves to wrap them up, and then placed them within his backpack and began hurrying along the road with Bebe.

Book 3, Mountain Range of Magical Beasts Chapter 10, The Mountain Range of Magical Beasts (part 2)

Within the countless peaks of the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts were innumerable ageless trees and forests that made travel through the range very difficult. What made it even more difficult was the constant need to pass through one peak and ravine after another, or perhaps take a circular path.

When traveling within the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, dont carve out a path through the pre-existing thorns and brush. Its best to take an alternate path. Doehring Cowart continued to provide the benefit of his experience to Linley.

Linley listened carefully as he proceeded forward.

Remember, the biggest mistake you can make in the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts is to constantly make noise. This will cause many magical beasts to pay attention to you. Even if you are forced to make some noise, you need to immediately leave the nearby area. Doehring Cowart continued. Remember, if you are injured, you must immediately do your best to staunch any loss of blood. The stench of blood will attract beasts as well. The noses of magical beasts are far more sensitive than we humans.

Linley nodded.

The massive crowns of countless trees covered the entire sky. Looking at them, Linley was reminded of some information that he had gleaned from books at the Ernst Institute. In a place like this, where even the sun was all but blocked out, one had to learn how to distinguish north, south, east, and west.

As agile as a monkey, Linley leapt past a series of disorderly tree roots and vine growths, but just as he walked past

Whoah. Linley sucked in a cold breath as he saw something not too far away.

The corpses of three men and two women were a few dozen meters away from him. The five corpses had not yet rotted much, but the bite marks on them were very visible. The corpses had all been dismembered. A male corpse had half its leg eaten, and a giant hole ripped in its belly, with his severed intestines laying strewn about. Half of a female corpses head had been eaten, leaving behind a single eyeball and a white skull bone with a few strands of hair attached.

Linleys face turned pale, and he forgot to breathe.

They shouldve died three or four days ago. Doehring Cowart appeared next to Linley, carefully inspecting the corpses. His face was still quite calm. Linley, take a close look. On the chest of every single person, there are some similar, unremarkable wounds. If my guess is correct, these five shouldve been killed by humans, and most likely, by a single person.

Linley started.

Doehring Cowart, youre saying that a person killed them? Linley looked at Doehring Cowart, shocked.

Doehring Cowart smiled calmly. Linley, this is your first visit to the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts. Once youve been here a bit longer, you will come to realize that in the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, in addition to dealing with the attacks of local beasts, you also have to guard against the attacks of other humans.

The attacks of humans? Why would other humans attack? Linley felt a bit of rage beginning to grow in his heart.

In the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts, the local monsters already held a huge advantage by virtue of their countless numbers. He didnt expect that the humans here would fight amongst themselves as well, instead of help each other.

This is very normal. Why do humans venture into this mountain range? The vast majority come here in the hopes of acquiring magicite cores. If they kill a magical beast, they will only acquire a single core, but if they kill a human being, that person might have several magicite cores in their backpack, or even more. Doehring Cowart stroked his white beard.

Linley finally understood.

Greed!

It was all due to greed. Some people here wanted to easily acquire a large number of magicite cores, and indeed, killing the other human beings here was a good way to do so.

Linley, you must be careful. Based on what Im seeing, the person who killed these five must possess astounding ability. If you look closely at these peoples clothing, you can see that four of them should be warriors, while one of them was a magus. But all five of them were killed at about the same time by a clean blow through the heart. The ruthless precision of this assault is chilling. However, since we dont know how strong these five people were, its hard to estimate the strength of their killer. Doehring Cowart frowned. But for these five to be willing and able to brave the dangers of the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts suggests that they were not weak. From this alone, we can safely say that the person who killed them is, at the very least, no weaker than you.

Linley stepped forward to take a closer look, then nodded in agreement.

The killing blows were very clean and direct.

This is still just the outer perimeter of the mountain range. Hurry on in. Doehring Cowart laughed.

Linley nodded, then continued on his journey deeper into the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts. On his journey, the sight of corpses of both men and monsters became quite common, as well as many rusted weapons. Linley also occasionally ran into a few weak monsters.

Nightfall. Linley and the little Shadowmouse were resting while each munched on a leg of boar. Linley was seated on the ground, while the little Shadowmouse was seated on his shoulder.

At night, one cannot light a fire in the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts. Doehring Cowart once again instructed.

Understood, Grandpa Doehring. Linley knew quite a bit about the basics of survival here. This place was no ordinary wilderness, and the beasts here would not be afraid of fire.

Seated on the ground, Linley calmed himself down and closed his eyes, while beginning to sense the flow of earth essence and wind essence around him. The feeling of elemental essence around him was akin to the feeling of being in ones parents embrace.

Due to his exceptional affinity with earth essence and wind essence, Linley could sense them quite clearly.

The Pulse of the Earth. The Flow of the Wind. A peaceful smile was on Linleys face, as he began to drift off into sleep. Linley had total confidence that any tremors on the ground caused by something approaching, or any disturbances in the wind caused by something moving rapidly to him, would immediately awaken him.

These were the abilities possessed by earth magi and wind magi.

The night slowly grew deeper. Curled in front of Linley, the little Shadowmouse Bebe also began to emit extremely light, quiet snoring sounds. The night wind grew cool as well, but right now, it was summer in the Mountain Range of Magical Beasts. Only at night would it feel cool and refreshing. In the day, it felt stiflingly hot.

Late at night. All was dark.

Rustle, rustle. The soft sounds of something rustling against the grass could be heard.

A pair of powerfully built Windwolves with gleaming blue fur were pacing about within the forest. Their green-tinted eyes were carefully inspecting their surroundings as their powerful limbs silently stalked through the area.

Their cruel white fangs gleamed with a cold light in the night.