Thread: "Who's your daddy?" - fun speculation on Wai Siu Bo's possible patrilineage.

Default "Who's your daddy?" - fun speculation on Wai Siu Bo's possible patrilineage.

One of the conceits of Wai Siu Bo's character was that not he, his mother, nor anyone else in the world knew whom his father was. "Wai" was not his proper surname...just the one he took from his mother because nobody had any idea whom his father could have been. Why don't we have some fun speculating?

Is it possible that Wai Siu Bo could be the descendant of an earlier Jin Yong hero? Let's consider the possibilities:

1. Kiu Fung - Probably not. Kiu Fung is not known to have sired any children prior to his death in DGSD. Ah Chu was the only female lover he ever had, and they didn't make any babies before she died at his hands.

2. Hui Juk - Not a very high probability, but possible.

3. Deun Yu - I have suspicions about Deun Yu being an ancestor of Wai Siu Bo's because of their predilection towards multiple beautiful young women and their incredible lifesaving good fortune. Both of them are highly sensual individuals who appreciated their creature comforts. Both were also known for their silver tongues.

4. Gwok Jing - Not likely. Gwok Jing's lineage ended with his children, and it's not said that Gwok Fu, Gwok Seung, or Gwok Por Lo ever had any offspring. Moreover, Wai Siu Bo has nothing in common with Gwok Jing.

5. Yeung Gor - Remotely possible, but also not especially likely. I don't know if Wai Siu Bo was supposed to have been handsome, but it's doubtful he had any Yeung Gor or Little Dragon Girl DNA in him.

6. Cheung Mo Gei - I have strong suspicions about this one. Again, as was the case with Deun Yu, we've got a man who has interest in several beautiful young women, and a predilection of accidentally becoming a leader in an anti-foreign invader wulin sect/society.

7. Ling Wu Chung: Both are easygoing, but I don't see any obvious possible connection between the two.

8. Yeun Sing Chi: "I am your father?" Yeun *was* around when Wai Siu Bo's mother was a young woman. You think maybe....? Nah....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    6. Cheung Mo Gei - I have strong suspicions about this one. Again, as was the case with Deun Yu, we've got a man who has interest in several beautiful young women, and a predilection of accidentally becoming a leader in an anti-foreign invader wulin sect/society.
    In that case, WXB's character will come more from ZM's genes then.
    DY may be a better choice as both are ignorant of "real" martial arts per se.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    In that case, WXB's character will come more from ZM's genes then.
    DY may be a better choice as both are ignorant of "real" martial arts per se.
    Wai Siu Bo also seemed very comfortable retiring from his adventures in Yunnan, where Dali is located. Of all the candidates for Wai Siu Bo's ancestor, Deun Yu seems the most probable.

Perhaps he's actually *Deun* Siu Bo, with roots in the royal family of Dali Kingdom.

Shi Zhongyu is effectively what Wei Xiaobao would be if he weren't the protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Shi Zhongyu is effectively what Wei Xiaobao would be if he weren't the protagonist.
    That name is unfamiliar to me. Who is he?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That name is unfamiliar to me. Who is he?
    Shi Potian's younger brother. We hear of his exploits throughout the novel as Shi Potian is repeatedly mistaken for him. Eventually we get to see him, just before he's taken away by that guy who lives on a mountain. If we weren't seeing DOMD from Wei Xiaobao's perspective, and if he subsequently didn't have the same amount of protagonist luck, WXB in DOMD would seem pretty like Shi Zhongyu in OTG.

Wai Siu Bo possible ancestor would be Tian Boguang, the rapist of SPW.

Shi Potian's younger brother. We hear of his exploits throughout the novel as Shi Potian is repeatedly mistaken for him. Eventually we get to see him, just before he's taken away by that guy who lives on a mountain. If we weren't seeing DOMD from Wei Xiaobao's perspective, and if he subsequently didn't have the same amount of protagonist luck, WXB in DOMD would seem pretty like Shi Zhongyu in OTG.
    Shi Zhongyu is the older brother. He is actually seen in the flesh two times in the novel, the first at the Changle association after being captured by Zhang 3 and Li 4 from the brothel he was hiding out in.

I disagree about WXB being like him though. WXB is a strange mess of both extremely good and extremely bad traits - and arguably the overall course of his story was driven by his good ones (personal loyalty, courage). SZY is one of those characters with no redeeming qualities to speak of - he had no loyalty to anyone but himself, and he was a craven coward. He was also handsome and an eloquent speaker, unlike WXB.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    Shi Zhongyu is the older brother. He is actually seen in the flesh two times in the novel, the first at the Changle association after being captured by Zhang 3 and Li 4 from the brothel he was hiding out in.

I disagree about WXB being like him though. WXB is a strange mess of both extremely good and extremely bad traits - and arguably the overall course of his story was driven by his good ones (personal loyalty, courage). SZY is one of those characters with no redeeming qualities to speak of - he had no loyalty to anyone but himself, and he was a craven coward. He was also handsome and an eloquent speaker, unlike WXB.
    Wasn't Shi Potian the first born who was spirited away by that woman, while Shi Zhongyu was born afterwards?

Wasn't Shi Potian the first born who was spirited away by that woman, while Shi Zhongyu was born afterwards?
    No.

「孩子,那年你剛滿週歲不久,有個女賊來害你媽媽。你爹爹不在家,你媽剛生你弟弟還沒滿月.. .」

Child, that year, not long after your first full year, a woman came to harm your mother. Your father was not at home, your mother just gave birth to your little brother less than a complete month...

Min Rou was talking to SPT under the impression that he was SZY here.
    Last edited by Doc Kwok; 10-06-14 at 04:27 PM.

There's little in common between the two other than their love for women. WXB was honourable to those who were good to him while SZY was a complete scoundrel. In perspective, WXB was more like Tianboguang while SZY was more like Yun Zhongke or Xuedao Laozu.

WXB is related to Genghis Khan. His 抓波龙爪手 and 追女大法 are likely passed down from the family.
    Last edited by MrWErD; 10-08-14 at 10:54 PM.

Why is there any speculation? I thought there was a scene at the end where his mother talks about a Tibetan lama? The one that WXB tricked/plotted the downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Why is there any speculation? I thought there was a scene at the end where his mother talks about a Tibetan lama? The one that WXB tricked/plotted the downfall.
    His mama lists a number of clients who could have been his father, covering just about every ethnic group in China. The only ethnicity that his mother denies is Russian. Anyway, Su Quan (Madame Hong) is the most familiar with Wei Xiaobao's ancestors, having invented every one of them.