View Poll Results: Should health care workers who treat Ebola in Africa be quarantined?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 66.67%
  • No

1 33.33%
  • Others. Explain.

0 0%

Thread: Should health care workers who treat Ebola in Africa be quarantined?

Default Should health care workers who treat Ebola in Africa be quarantined?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/24/health...html?hpt=hp_t1

My answer is YES. It's better off being safe than sorry. After all, it's only 21 days.

It might be necessary to prevent a contagion. I think most people will accept it. The question is, however, is it legal? The government can't break the law and detain people if there's no such law on the books. If they're going to do it, the President has to issue an Executive Order (the Supreme Court can decide later if it's constitutional).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It might be necessary to prevent a contagion. I think most people will accept it. The question is, however, is it legal? The government can't break the law and detain people if there's no such law on the books. If they're going to do it, the President has to issue an Executive Order (the Supreme Court can decide later if it's constitutional).
    Currently, New York, New Jersey and Illinois require healthcare workers who treat Ebola patients from West Africa to be quarantined for 21 days. I think the governors of the states has the power to do so. Hopefully other states will follow suit. I understand it's inconvenient for the healthcare workers but it's necessary. If they don't like the quarantine, don't go to West Africa.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 10-26-14 at 05:27 PM.

Sadly, I agree with the necessity of the quarantine due to the severe contagiousness of Ebola. Taking them into quarantine for a short period of time may be inconvenient, but in no way is the government saying that the health workers are doing anything wrong. I actually applaud them for going to those poverty-stricken areas on a charity basis to care for the ill. However, as health professionals, they know that the severity of the outbreak.

Being in quarantine has its good points as well. In the case they did contract the virus, they are monitored constantly so they can be treated at the first signs. Easily diagnosis and treatment is always good. If they do not have the virus, then they have nothing to be afraid of and will be allowed to go once the incubation period has passed. It is not like they are euthanized or locked up in a madhouse with infectious patients. They are just kept separate for a little while just in case. If they do go home and have the virus, not only will they have the chance to infect loved ones, they might also miss the vital early detection and end up dying,

As citizens of a country, we all have a duty to keep it safe. Individual rights is very important but so is social responsibility. 21 days of inconvenience for one person versus a terrible pandemic that consumes the nation. I would rather choose the inconvenience.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly