Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Default Book 16 Chapter 5 - Part 1

Sky, I dont understand BFH is an astute man. XZL just refused to see the truth all along. IMHO, the two boys have always had high regards on BFH. Xiaohu, and you said you were speechless? You could be many things, but speechless is not one of those things. Jaya, HPC, Ysabel, you are welcome. Lao Qianbei, forgive me for being slow, but eh foxs??? what and why did you ask me? Chowbeng, is that a spoiler? Akolaw, interesting thought. DongBin, got it; you were referring to your previous post. Xu Xiong, I did not remember that! And I still dont know who that shadow was. Could you enlighten me?

Book 16 Chapter 5 Tiger Wind Dragon Cloud

Perhaps because the battle just now had scared the common people, but along the Heavenly Street, all residences, all stores and shops big and small, closed their doors and windows, and did not light their lanterns. Only Man Qing Yuan was brightly lit, illuminating the area around it as bright as day.

It was still a quarter before the zi hour; most of the people who were supposed to be there have arrived at the Ting Liu Pavilion. Not even half a human shadow was seen on the street, even the city guards who were supposed to be on patrol have hidden in who knows where.

The struggle between Yang Dong, Dugu Clan and Wang Shichong, the Luoyang City appeared to be in a power vacuum state. But the public security was even better instead, simply because the local gangs and societies were curbing their people as much as possible not to create trouble in this kind of situation.

Outsiders did not dare to make trouble even more, for fear of becoming the target of a multitude of arrows.

The three walked down the street toward Man Qing Yuan.

Kou Zhong suddenly heaved a deep sigh.

Ba Fenghan asked in surprise, Even under such a vile circumstance just now you were able to get away without damaging half a strand of your hair; why still sighing long and short?

Kou Zhong reached out to wrap his arm around Ba Fenghans shoulder. I am thinking that you, laoxiong, are going to go far away; in my heart I really hate to part with you, he spoke with heartfelt sincerity.

Ba Fenghans tough face melted a little; casting a glance toward the silently-walking-by-his-side Xu Ziling, he smiled and said, This is called there is no banquet in the world that does not end. This time Ol Ba came to the Central Plains and was able to encounter two Xiongtai, already this trip has not been made in vain. Much less in term of martial art cultivation I came across incomparably fortuitous meeting, and obtained a breakthrough that even in my dream I have never thought about. At this point in life, what more do I want?

Xu Ziling spoke indifferently, When would Fenghan Xiong start your journey?

Ba Fenghan replied in heavy voice, After getting rid of Qu Ao, I will immediately depart. Perhaps even tonight.

Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling were stunned.

The former frowned and said, Why are you especially insolent toward Qu Ao?

A deep, cold murderous intent flashed in Ba Fenghans eyes. He replied coldly, This is the oath I swore when I was beaten by Qu Ao and threw myself into the river in serious injury to escape. Whoever wanted to take my life, Ol Ba must pay him back.

And then he smiled slightly and said, Therefore, you two and I are special kindred spirits; plus there is another bitter experience in which we are similar.

Kou Zhong, whose eyes were on the empty, desolate street ahead, was stunned, What bitter experience? he asked.

Ba Fenghan cheerfully replied, In that our martial art skill was forced to advance by the people who were chasing and hunting us, that not a day of our lives was not fugitive days. Since you acquired the Secret to Long Life, didnt you also have this kind of bitter experience?

Xu Ziling suddenly said, How confident you are in killing Qu Ao?

Originally, not even 50%, Ba Fenghan replied, But now I have full confidence.

Pulling away his arm on Ba Fenghans shoulder, Kou Zhong asked in great astonishment, How could there be such a drastic change?

Ba Fenghan calmly replied, Because there is still a very big flaw in his mental self-cultivation, which fluctuate with his state of mind. Just now during the battle on the Tianjin Bridge, he already lost his confidence in defeating me. Therefore, if tonight I can enlarge this gap of his, I have no doubt that I will win.

Finally he added one sentence, If I can kill Qu Ao, even if I dont look for Bi Xuan, he might personally come to look for me; a match that is hard to find. It would be too late for Bi Xuan to guard against me!

The two boys had a sudden inspiration.

Kou Zhong said, I wonder if Old Man Qu and Fu Kids duel has already started?

Meanwhile Man Qing Yuans front gate was only five zhang away; the gatekeepers were craning their necks to look at these three latecomers.

I am afraid he might miss the appointment, Ba Fenghan said.

※ ※ ※

The three have not even reached the gate, the dozen or so guards already welcomed them respectfully, greeting them Ye this and Ye [master, as in master/servant relationship] that; a totally different experience from last time they came.

Has Qu Ao arrived? Ba Fenghan asked.

Someone replied, Qu Ye has just sent someone to notify us that he will be here by chou hour [1-3am].

The three exchanged glances; they all revealed a knowing smile.

Frowning, Kou Zhong asked, Is Man Qing Yuan still under Luoyang Bangs control?

Another man replied, Naturally. This is still considered our Luoyang Bangs business. Three Daye exposed that traitor, Shangguan Longs identity, our Gang, from top to bottom, are deeply grateful to three Daye!

Kou Zhong wondered inwardly if that was true; he then casually asked a question, So whos in charge of Luoyang Bang now?

The first man replied solemnly, To prevent our Gang from falling into disunity, Fu Bangzhu [vice gang leader] and various Tangzhu [hall master] asked Big Boss Rong Fengxiang to be our Bangzhu. With him on the helm, who dares not to comply?

The three thought unexpectedly there was such a coincidence. From this they could tell that Rong Fengxiang was a figure who played a critical role in Luoyang.

All their questions answered, the three, with the throng of guards in front and behind them, proceeded toward the Tingliu Pavilion.

Tingliu Pavilion was livelier than two evenings ago; it was practically a banquet with no empty seats. Fortunately somehow Rong Fengxiang has personally ordered to have the chamber on the top floor of the north building, the same one they used last time, reserved from them, hence they did not need to crowd with other people.

※ ※ ※

After the beautiful servants served them food and drink, one called Cuier, who appeared to be the lead-waitress, with amorous expression and enchanting smile addressed the three, Rong Laopan [boss] especially ordered us to serve three gentlemen well. Our Man Qing Yuans three flowers: Lianer, Juer and Pinger [lotus, chrysanthemum and duckweed, respectively] the other night witnessed the three gentlemen exhibiting your divine prowess, so they quite adore you. Do three Daye want them to come to sing a couple of Xiaodiao [Chinese folk song] for you?

Kou Zhong asked in surprise, With so many distinguished guests tonight, how could they have spare time to serve us?

Cuier threw him a coquettish glance and said, Its useless for others to beg me, but three Daye are different! Cuier made things difficult for others, its all to make proper arrangements for you. Right now it is still more than half a sichen before the chou hour; with them coming to dispel Dayes boredom, I guarantee that time will flash like a white steed flits past a crack.

Ba Fenghan casually stuffed half an ingot of glistening yellow gold into Cuiers hand and spoke indifferently, So this time it is not Zhi Shi Lang Wang Bo [see Book 1 Chapter 10] who gives the party? Looks like the expense is not a few?

Cuier took the gold, her smile was even brighter; with half her body leaning on Ba Fenghans, she spoke intimately, This time its Rong Laoban who is giving the party; he has two simultaneous happy events in the family! He is ascending the Bangzhu throne, and celebrating his big birthday. Afterwards, his source of revenue will spread far and wide; how could he have time to bother about trivial expenditure? Very well! Just leave everything to nujia, I will have the three flowers come here in no time!

Xu Ziling said with a frown, We still have some important matters to discuss, it would be better

Cuier cut him off, In that case, nujia will arrange for them to come a bit later!

With a peal of tender laughter she flew away like a butterfly.

Kou Zhong laughed toward Ba Fenghan, You are so liberal with money; looks like your purse is fully loaded with gold.

Ba Fenghan replied indifferently, These past few years I earned a bit of money. In this chaotic world, everybody is striving to mint coins and make money, but only gold is most reliable, it can be used inside and outside the Central Plains. When I leave, I am going to leave you some so that you can use it.

Knock! Knock!

Although Kou Zhong did not hear any footsteps, he has already sensed that someone was outside the door. Who is it? he asked in low voice.

Outside, Xing Mofeis familiar voice replied, Xiaodi received Wangzis [King] order to invite three gentlemen to the main lobby downstairs for a chat; we will enjoy wine together. [Translators note: in Book 13 Chapter 10, it was Xing Yifei.]

The three had a rather good opinion toward this man, plus they really wanted to see what he looked like. Xing Xiong, please come in! Kou Zhong pursued.

Hearing that, Xing Mofei pushed the door and entered, and cupped his fist in salute.

The three were sure that this man was not among the men standing by Fu Qian the previous night, or else their eyes had deceived them.

This Tuyuhun martial art master was around twenty-five, twenty-six, tall and slim, had thick hair and eyebrows, and calm demeanor. He wore casual riding and shooting warrior attire complete with boots. His entire being was as sharp as an arrow leaving the bow; his eyes gleaming with spirited light, but he also gave up the impression that he was a very passionate person.

Although he could not be considered handsome, his facial features [orig. five senses] had strong character; hence he could be considered someone well worth a second look, and that the more one looked at him, the more one would feel that he was an interesting character.

The three immediately stood up to return the salute. After they sat down, Ba Fenghan asked, Who else is in the hall downstairs?

Meanwhile the sound of finger-guessing game, drinking game, warm music from string and woodwind instruments, came from the direction of the balcony.

Xing Mofei laughed leisurely and said, Naturally we cant miss Wang Bo and Rong Da Laoban, two gentlemen.

Astonished, Xu Ziling said, Listening to the tone of Xing Xiongs voice, looks like you dont have any regards to even Wang Bo.

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs

Another fight! ... Thks foxs.

we want fight!! we want fight!

Thanks foxs.

Thanks foxs. You are not slow, since you already did what I request...

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs!
    Finally catched up to this great story.
    This guys always get into troubles in this kind of places ,i don't think Ol Ba will be able to leave after beating Qu Ao , they will surely get entangled in a bigger mess than last time haha

Thanks Foxs! I didn't read this book so it is my "educated" wuxia sense.

I thought it might be some kind of flashback narrative, that the shadow was Xu Ziling. But that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Xu Xiong, I did not remember that! And I still dont know who that shadow was. Could you enlighten me?
    Mystery
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Default Book 16 Chapter 5 - Part 2

Ysabel, HPC, Sky, Jaya, you are welcome. DongBin, Xiaohu, not yet. Lao Qianbei, I dont think I answered your question yet. Dude, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it. Chowbeng, it does seem that there are a lot of people who wanted to betray them, just because the boys appeared to be a threat to their ambition. Xu Xiong, I dont know either, and I dont think Huang Yi will ever explain it to us. Just like last time with Li Shentong.

Xing Mofei slyly said, Speaking about whip technique, theres no one inside or outside the Central Plains can match him. But speaking about person, one must not consider his martial art only. Only by having a fitting character would one make others convinced. True heroes like three gentlemen here are the kind of people that my humble Master admires and wishes to be associated with.

Hearing that, the three looked at each other; because according to the rumor, didnt Wang Bo have a very tight relationship with Fu Qian?

Moreover, if Wang Bo was a man falling from virtue, how could a very able person who was outside the system like Liao Kong consider him an intimate friend?

Astounded, Kou Zhong asked these questions.

Xing Mofei replied with a smile, It would be better for my humble Master, when he has time later, to personally answer these questions properly. But three gentlemen only need to look at the outstanding heroes of today. If Du Fuwei, Li Zitong, and the likes have thrown their support to be Wang Bos subordinates, but then later on they rebelled and left him, it is obvious that this man has no capacity to hold others. Otherwise there is no way his prestige would fall under any other militias.

And then he asked, Are three gentlemen surprised that last night Wang Bo did not show himself?

Amazed, the three nodded their head.

Xing Mofei laughed and said, The logic is very simple. Because in this matter he wants to take all the credits to himself; he wants to curry favor with Shi Feixuan, but he is not a person who appreciate kindness. Toward this man, three gentlemen must be a bit more careful. As for other matters, please forgive Xiaodi because it is rather inconvenient to disclose.

Nodding, Kou Zhong said, Although we have just met, Xing Xiong is indeed a true friend. This was the first time that we heard this information; it is extremely useful.

Ba Fenghan said, But by doing that, what good would it be for Wang Bo himself? Furthermore, isnt he stating publicly that he no longer in the race for the throne [orig. hunting deer in Central Plain please see Jin Yongs Deer and Cauldron translated by yours truly on this idiom]?

Xing Mofei sighed and said, Those with ambitions are always unwilling to give up their dreams. Because Xiaodi has deep respect toward the three gentlemen, I came with special purpose to reveal information that you need to know: after Yuwen Huaji returning to the north, he restructured his forces once again. By relying on his Yuwen Clans profound foundation, he struck the gongs and beat the drums, preparing to spread out his hands and feet again. It is highly possible that he is going to form an alliance with Wang Bo, hence the reason he raised such a ruckus in the Jade Annulus of He Clans affair.

The three were suddenly enlightened.

Smiling bitterly, Xing Mofei continued, Looking at three gentlemens expression, it is clear to me that you are not going downstairs to see my humble Master.

The four men looked at each other. Suddenly they all burst out laughing. Their laughter was filled with pride from understanding each others heart.

Finished laughing, Xu Ziling said, Please forgive Zaixia for brazenly asking an imperceptive question: what is the purpose of Fu Wangzis [king] visit this time?

Lowering his voice, Xing Mofei replied, This time my humble Master came to the Central Plains, there are two principal objectives: one is to see what kind of outstanding, remarkable figures there are in the Central Plains, the other objective is to look for someone to settle an account.

Kou Zhongs eyes shone with sharp light; he said, The first objective is too broad that it is difficult to grasp the real meaning behind it, but since Xing Xiong is unwilling to elaborate, lets not talk about it! As for looking for someone, who is that person? Who has such a face [i.e. honor]?

Delighted, Xing Mofei said, Talking with you is really enjoyable; it saves me a lot of crap. The one we want to look for is Pei Ju.

Staring blankly, Kou Zhong asked, Who is Pei Ju? How come Ive never heard his name?

Sneering, Ba Fenghan said, Zhong Shao, this time you ought to be ashamed of yourself! Even at our place, no one does not know Pei Ju, this mans name. It could even be said that this name stinks to high heaven; there is no one who would disagree with that.

Xing Mofei spoke coldly, Pei Ju was Yang Guangs chancellor who was in charge of trade and commerce, as well as public affairs of the Western Region and Old Suis frontiers. He wrote a three-volume work entitled the Maps and Notes on the Western Regions, as well as an account on the general profile of the forty-four states of the Western Region. At the end of the preface, he wrote: Therefore, Magnificent Emperor ought to send envoy, without deploying troops and chariots, various foreign powers, from Hun and so on will faint and be exterminated. The United Xia will thus be here! It should be noted to some extent that our might has never transformed this far. It was precisely because of the sentence from Hun and so on will faint and be exterminated that our Tuyuhun became rivers of blood, dead bodies lay everywhere on the fields. If we do not avenge this hatred, how could we face our dead clansmen?

Listening to this, Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling were left speechless, while at the same time thinking that Fu Qians purpose in visiting the Central Plains this time was more or less the same as Tulis, which was to exact revenge.

The Central Plains would be a lot messier.

Ba Fenghan spoke nonchalantly, Pei Ju has not died yet? This man is adept in driving wedges between allies; our Western Tujue was split into two factions, which attack each other endlessly. Taking advantage while we are powerless to care about anything outside, Pei Ju secretly incited the Tieles to send troops to attack Tuyuhun. This scheme is certainly vicious to the extreme, killing someone with borrowed knife, while he himself did not need to spend half a soldier.

Xing Mofei showed grief and indignation; he said hatefully, Even after suffering defeat from the surprise attack, our Emperor Fu Yun did not know that it was his friend, Pei the traitor who incited it in the dark; he even sent words to Pei traitor, asking for help, yet he sent two contingents of troops and horses to pursue and attack, to throw stones at someone who fell down a well. After repeatedly being under attack, finally our Emperor brought the remaining a thousand or so injured riders to escape by breaking the siege. This hatred, not one of Tuyuhun people can forget.

Only then did Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling understand the gratitude and grudges between the Tieles, Pei Ju, and Tuyuhuns. No wonder Fu Qian went south to the Central Plains, the first thing he did was to seek Tieles number one martial art master Qu Ao for a life and death duel.

As if he was completely unconcerned, Ba Fenghan said, Oh! Ol Ba nearly forget, tonight Qu Ao is mine. Just now I have had a clash with him, you cant possibly do not know about this matter?

Xing Mofei sighed and said, This matter is out of my hands. If Qu Ao knew that he is such in great demand, he might regret his conduct.

And then, rising to his full height, he cupped his fist and said, Xiaodi has other orders I need to take care of, I cant stay for long. Ba Xiongs esteemed opinion, Xiaodi will pass on to my humble Master. As for how we are going to settle it, it will be decided by my humble Master.

After Xing Mofei left, Kou Zhong laughed and said, It would be better for us to go out and keep watch. As soon as we see Qu Ao, well kill him with a vengeance. Once the main problem is solved, wont all troubles be solved?

Nodding, Ba Fenghan said, I was thinking the same thing. But it wont be as excited as if we have several hundred people watching on the side shouting and cheering for me.

Kou Zhong rose up and said, Almost forget my appointment with Song Jingang. I will be back before the chou hour. Remember to wait for me before going into action. Otherwise I wont let you get away with it.

Xu Ziling laughed and cursed, Theres not enough time, why havent you taken a hike?

Immensely pleased with himself, Kou Zhong said, When the girls come later, remember to keep an extra for me. This is called blessing, we enjoy together.

While talking, he pushed the door, and was immediately stunned by what he saw outside.

Ba Fenghan and Xu Ziling also felt the alarm went off in their hearts; they immediately turned their heads to look at the door. But Kou Zhongs tall and sturdy figure obstructed their line of sight. All they were able to see was plain yellow gauzed skirt with lots of creases on it, and a pair of green embroidered shoes, with phoenix ornament sewed to the toes, peeking out from under the skirt.

Just from the fact that this woman was able to stand outside the door without arousing the alarm in the three mens heart, they knew that she was not someone to be trifled with.

But Kou Zhongs eyes actually shone.

The woman suddenly appeared outside their door looked to be about twenty-three, twenty-four years old. Unlike Shang Xiuxun or perhaps Shen Luoyan, who, in just one look, people could tell that they were extremely beautiful, this woman had some kind of unique hidden appeal and personality, which would stir up deep attraction within your heart.

Her demeanor was calm and sophisticated, gentle, refined and dignified; but the remarkable feature of her face was her determined look, which gave up the impression that not only was she beautiful and touching, she would not tolerate mens brazenness, that she was fearless, and full of confidence in herself, as if she firmly believed that everything she did was correct and proper.

Her shiny jet-black beautiful hair, her fair and tender skin, her slim and well-proportioned figure, her beautiful, curved eyebrows, and the deep, slender phoenix eyes under the eyebrows, combined with the faint natural delicate fragrance emitted from her body, formed a picture of beautiful woman that men would topple over it.

But the one thing attracted Kou Zhongs attention the most was the whisk, which appeared to be made of red silk, hanging diagonally across her back, slightly visible over her left shoulder. Immediately Kou Zhong was able to grasp her identity.

Surprisingly, she was the one acclaimed to be the most outstanding female martial art master, considered top of the list among the generals within Li Shimins Tian Ce Fu [heavenly policy government], Li Jings tender wife, the Red Brush Lady.

Her cold and detached, yet sharp gaze was focused on Kou Zhongs face; without any emotion at all she spoke indifferently, You are Kou Zhong?

Kou Zhong stepped aside to let Xu Ziling and Ba Fenghans sharp eyes to have good visibility on her, and then he replied in heavy voice, It is Xiaodi. Shall I address Miss by Mrs. Li, or Li Saozi [sister-in-law]?

Hong Funus [i.e. Red Brush Lady] grim gaze fearlessly turned toward Xu Ziling and Ba Fenghan. The moment she heard Kou Zhongs question, there seemed to be a mocking expression flashing through her eyes; she replied coldly, That depends on how you place yourselves.

The three were stunned; deep in their hearts they felt something was very wrong, or she would not have used such a blunt tone.

Finally Hong Funus eyes landed on Xu Ziling. Her phoenix eyes flashed with intelligent, sharp rays, but her voice turned soft as she said, King of Qin has something very important to discuss with two gentlemen, hence he especially sent qie [I, your servant; deprecatory self-reference for women] to invite your honored selves. This matter is of grave importance, two gentlemen must not refuse.

Turning his eyes away from her, Ba Fenghan simply raised his cup and drained the wine in one gulp.

Kou Zhongs face showed a rather furious and complicated expression; he spoke coldly, If it is pertaining to the Jade Annulus of He Clan, there is nothing to say.

A fierce and sharp look flitted through Hong Funus beautiful eyes as she stared at Kou Zhong. But before she had time to speak, Ba Fenghan already cut her off, Why dont you go to see what he has to say? Sooner or later this matter must be resolved on way or another.

Xu Ziling calmly said, Zhong Shao, just go! It is up to you to decide.

Kou Zhong was silent for half a day. Finally he nodded his agreement.

※ ※ ※

Hong Funu pushed the door open and said with a light sigh, Get in! I wish by the time you get out, you will still be Jing Langs [in this case, lang is the term a wife uses to refer to her husband] good Xiongdi, and not his irreconcilable enemy.

Kou Zhong cast her an indifferent look before stepping into the room, and casually closed the door.

This room was the last side room on the third floor of the east wing of the north building; it was nearly double the size of their room.

Li Shimin was standing in front of the window with his back facing him, staring at the fish pond in the garden down below.

Hearing Kou Zhongs voice, Li Shimin sighed and said, Do we still have any leeway in this matter?

Walking over to the round table in the middle of the room, Kou Zhong fixed his gaze on Li Shimins majestic, tall and straight back. Which matter was Shimin Xiong referring to? he spoke heavily.

Li Shimin slowly turned around. Looking deep into Kou Zhongs eyes, he said, How many years has it been since we saw each other? Zhong Shao, you are more formidable than what I thought. Every movement you make carries the air of a martial art master of this generation. No wonder although you have enemies everywhere, nobody is able to deal with you the slightest bit; on the contrary, you were able to play with them in the palm of your hand.

Kou Zhong smiled and said, Compared to His Royal Highness King of Qin, what is one little Kou Zhong? Since Qin Wang [King] raised your army at Taiyuan, you successively defeated old dynastys fierce general Song laosheng [old man, but a bit more respectful] and Qu Tutong, used the few to defeat the many, and took Guanzhong by ruse; hence you are enabling your honorable Clan to occupy an advance-can-attack, retreat-can-defend, powerful base of operations. Then you went west to Zheng Long You in order to consolidate Guanzhong, and drove Xue Ju, father and sons main forces that invaded your territory back to their old nest. And now, whod dare to underestimate your Li Family? This kind of achievement, who can match?

Sneering, Li Shimin said, For generations our Li Family frequently became generals, our foundation profound; as long as we have sufficient reason to send troops, with proper tactics, triumph over the opponent is as expected as a matter of course. How could we be compared to you, Zhong Shao, whos all alone in the world, yet is able to create clouds by flipping your hand, and create rain by overturning your palm, changing the situation of the world? Ha! We havent seen each other for so long, how about sitting down and drinking a cup of wine?

Neither for nor against it, Kou Zhong sat down.

Li Shimin raised the wine pot, poured some wine for Kou Zhong, and said with a smile, I prefer you call me Shimin; our friendship surpasses casual acquaintances. That year, were it not for your, two brothers help, I am afraid our Li Family would not have the respectable position of today.

And then he sat down and raised his cup with both hands in a toast; he said, This cup is to thank Zhong Shao in your assistance to uphold justice at the Flying Horse Ranch, to prevent Xiuning from falling into Li Tianfans trap and Shen Luoyans scheming.

Scorching heat attacked his heart.

Kou Zhong grabbed his throat and called out, Good wine! Its not poisonous, is it?

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs

Finally, Li Shimin in the picture. Thks foxs.

Thanks foxs.

Li Jing's wife finally made an appearance!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    Li Jing's wife finally made an appearance!
    That's another legendary (historical???) figure! I believe she is mentioned in Dream of the Red Chamber as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chowbeng View Post
    That's another legendary (historical???) figure! I believe she is mentioned in Dream of the Red Chamber as well.
    Hong Funu (Red Whisk, or Red Brush Lady as Foxs has it) is a fictional character from the Tang dynasty story "Curly Bearded Stranger" 虯髯客.

There are many translations of that story around, here is my translation I did several years ago:

When Emperor Yangdi of the Sui dynasty toured Jiangdu (Yangzhou), he ordered Yang Su to guard the West Capital (Chang'an). Yang Su was an imperious noble, and at that time, when the country was still in disorder, he believed that no one had greater power than he. He was supercilious, licentious and dissolute beyond compare. Whenever officials came to offer advice, or guests came to visit, he always met with them sitting on a couch, accompanied by beautiful women. He walked around with slave girls on both sides; his manner exceeded even that of an emperor. Towards the waning days of the Sui dynasty, he became even worse.

One day, the Duke of Wei, Li Jing, wearing common clothes, paid Yang Su a visit to offer advice. Yang Su still remained seated on his couch.

Li Jing came forward and said, "The world is in chaos; everywhere heroes compete for power. An important minister such as yourself should be busy gathering worthy men; you shouldn't receive your guests sitting." The arrogance disappeared from Yang Su's face, and he stood up to talk with Li Jing. After their talk, Yang Su was pleased, and accepted Li Jing's suggestion.

All the while Li Jing and Yang Su were talking, a beautiful servant girl stood by, holding a red whisk, staring with rapt attention at Li Jing. As Li Jing was leaving, the girl followed closely and asked one of the petty officials, "Who was that man just now, and where is he from?" The official told her, and the girl nodded and left. Li Jing went back to his quarters.

That night, just before dawn, suddenly Li Jing heard a knocking at the door, and low voice calling out. Li Jing opened the door and took a step back when he saw a person before him wearing a purple gown and a cap, a walking stick in hand, from which hung a leather bag.

Li Jing asked, "Who are you?"

The person said, "I am one of Yang Su's maids, the one holding the red whisk." Li Jing invited her in. She took off her outer gown and cap and Li Jing was surprised to see that she was a beautiful girl of about 18 or 19. This beautiful girl wore no make-up, and her clothes were very resplendent. She bowed to him. Li Jing was taken aback. The girl said, "I have served in Master Yang's house for a long time; I've seen many famous men. But I have never seen any like you. As a woman, I eventually want a home to return to, so I have come to you."

Li Jing said, "Yang Su is a powerful figure in the capital; won't that be difficult?"

The girl said, "He's an idiot. Several of the other maids have left, and he hasn't tried very hard to get them back. Don't worry."

Li Jing listened to the girl's words, so full of confidence. He asked her name. The girl said her surname was Zhang and that she was the oldest in her family. Regarding the girl's skin, appearance, figure, speech, and temperament, she really was the perfect person! Being able to receive such a girl, of course Li Jing was very happy, and even a little bit afraid; thinking it all over brought him not a little anxiety.

Inquisitive people came and nosed about, and the two got a chance to get to know each other better. A few days later, there had been no news of an investigation by Yang Su. So the two saddled up and fled to Taiyuan. On the way they stopped at an inn in Lingshi. Inside, meat pork had already been cooked over the stove. The Zhang girl was combing her long hair in front of the couch while Li Jing curried the horses. Suddenly, there came a man of medium height, with a long, red curly beard, riding a lame donkey. He threw down his leather bag by the stove, and grabbed a pillow and laid down on the couch, watching the Zhang girl comb her hair. Li Jing was angry, but he continued to groom the horses. The Zhang girl saw Li Jing's face and knew he was angry. She held her hair in one hand, and with the other, gestured for Li Jing to stay calm. She quickly finished combing her hair, then went over to the newcomer and asked his name. The reclining man answered that his surname was Zhang.

The Zhang girl said, "My surname is also Zhang, so I'm your little sister." After saying so, she bowed to him. Then she asked him his position in his family. The man said he was third child.

The man asked what her position in her family was. When the girl answered that she was the oldest, the man said happily, "It's a lucky day to encounter you, sister."

The Zhang girl called to Li Jing, "Li Jing quick, come over here and pay your respects to Third Brother." Li Jing quickly came over and kowtowed. Then they all sat together around the stove.

The stranger asked, "What kind of meat are you cooking?"

"Mutton. It should be cooked by now."

The stranger said, "I'm very hungry." Li Jing went out to buy some cakes, then the stranger used his dagger to cut the meat and they all ate together. After they had finished eating, the stranger took the leftover mutton, sliced it up, and gave it to the donkey. He was quick in his movements.

The stranger said, "You look like a poor soldier. How did you marry such a good wife?"

Li Jing said, "I may be poor, but I am a man of integrity. If anyone else had asked, I wouldn't tell them. But since you asked, brother, I won't try to hide anything." Li Jing proceeded to tell him everything that had transpired.

The stranger asked, "Where do you plan to go?"

Li Jing said, "I plan to return to Taiyuan."

The stranger said, "I have some business to attend to as well; I won't be able to go with you." Then he asked, "Do you have any wine?"

Li Jing said, "There's a wineshop to the west." Li Jing went to buy a jar of wine and then came back.

After several rounds of wine, the stranger said, "I have something to discuss with you; would Mr. Li care to share a drink with me?"

Li Jing said, "I dare not accept the honor."

Alas, the stranger opened his leather bag and took out a human head and a heart. He put the head back in the bag and, using his dagger, cut up the heart, and they ate it together. The stranger said, "This is the heart of an, ungrateful, heartless person. I have held this hate inside for ten years. Today I finally got my revenge. I have no regrets." Then he said, "Mr. Li, I can see you are a man of outstanding manner and dignified bearing, a real man! Have you heard of any remarkable individuals in Taiyuan?"

Li Jing said, "I once knew a man I thought truly remarkable; the rest are only good enough to be generals."

The stranger asked, "What's his name?"

Li Jing said, "The same as mine, Li."

The stranger asked, "How old is he?"

Li Jing said, "About twenty."

The stranger asked, "What is he now?"

Li Jing said, "He's the son of the general of Taiyuan."

The stranger said, "Looks like he could be the one. I would like to see him. Could you set up a meeting with him for me?"

Li Jing said, "My friend Liu Wenjing and he are acquainted; we can set something up through him. You want to do that?"

The stranger said, "An astrologer told me there is an odd portent at Taiyuan, which he said I should go investigate. You're leaving tomorrow; when will you arrive in Taiyuan?" Li Jing calculated the distance and said it would take about a day. The stranger said, "The day after you arrive, at dawn, I'll be waiting for you at Fenyang Bridge." Having said this, the stranger got on his donkey and flew off so fast that by the time Li Jing turned around, the stranger was already a speck in the distance.

Li Jing and the Zhang girl were astonished. After a time, they said, "That man is an upright individual; he won't deceive us; we needn't worry."

Thus, the two quickly mounted their horses and set off, and arrived in Taiyuan on schedule. They were delighted to find the stranger waiting for them at Fenyang Bridge as he had said, and they all three went together to pay a visit to Liu Wenjing.

Liu Wenjing came out to greet them. As usual, he was very respectful towards Li Jing, and they retired to discuss state affairs. Knowing that the stranger and Li Jing were good friends, they all got along well, and they all drank together. Presently, Li Shimin arrived, looking disheveled, but in high spirits; he didn't look like an ordinary person.

The curly-bearded stranger had sank into a deep silence at the end of the table. When he saw Li Shimin, however, all his hopes turned to dust. After several rounds of wine, the curly-bearded stranger beckoned to Li Jing and said, "That man is the true emperor!"

Li Jing told Liu Wenjing this, and Liu Wenjing was very happy. Once Li Shimin had left, the curly-bearded stranger said, "I'm about 80 or 90 percent sure, but I still want my Daoist friend to take a look. Li Jing and Sister return to the capital. Meet me around noon at the wineshop east of Mahang. Outside you'll see my donkey and a skinny mule; that's how you'll know me and my Daoist friend are there."

After Li Jing and his wife arrived at the capital, they quickly found their way to the wineshop, where they saw the donkey and the mule. They went upstairs, where they found the curly-bearded stranger and a Daoist priest drinking together. When the stranger and the priest saw Li Jing, they were pleasantly surprised, and they invited Li Jing and his wife to join them for a drink.

After more than ten rounds of wine, the curly-bearded stranger said, "In the cupboard downstairs, you will find a lot of cash. Choose a concealed place for your wife to stay, and once that's all settled, meet me again another day at Fenyang Bridge." Li Jing did as instructed and went to the bridge at the designated time. The curly-bearded stranger and the Daoist priest had already arrived ahead of him. They all went together to pay a visit to Liu Wenjing.

Liu Wenjing was playing weiqi when they arrived. He got up and they chatted for a while. When it was apparent they had come to see Li Shimin, he sent a letter inviting Li Shimin to come watch a game of weiqi. Liu Wenjing and the Daoist priest played weiqi while the curly-bearded stranger and Li Jing stood to either side and watched. After a while, Li Shimin arrived and they all exchanged greetings. Li Shimin's presence seemed to clear the air around him, his smiling mien like a fresh breeze, his eyes brightening everywhere he looked.

When the Daoist priest saw him, he was miserable, sad, and with a weiqi stone in hand, said, "The game is lost. Lost! After this move I can't win, aiya! There's no way to save it." With nothing else to say, the Daoist priest took his leave without finishing the game. Outside, he turned to the curly-bearded stranger and said, "This world is not your world. You should go to some other place and think of some other way; but keep your chin up and don't think about it too much."

They prepared to leave together for the capital. The curly-bearded stranger said to Li Jing, "We'll part ways here. In a day you will reach the capital. The day after you arrive, you and your wife are welcome to stop by my humble abode. I'm so ashamed to make you go back and forth so many times, forced to leave your wife alone in an empty house. This time I want to call on you two so we can get together and talk things over properly." Having said this, the curly-bearded stranger sighed and left. Li Jing raised his whip and urged his horse on towards the capital.

Li Jing and the Zhang girl went together to pay a visit to the curly-bearded stranger at the place he had told them. His house had a small wooden door. They knocked, and a man came out and said, "Third Gentleman is waiting respectfully for Madam and Li Jing; he's been waiting for you for awhile now." They were led through the inner doors, and what they saw was really magnificent. There were more than thirty maidservants standing to either side. Twenty servants led Li Jing and his wife into the east hall, where they saw many unusual and uncommon objects. After washing up, they changed into special clothes. Then Third Gentleman arrived. It was none other that the curly-bearded stranger, wearing a black gauze hat and a brown fur coat; he looked outstanding. When the stranger saw them, he was very happy. He called his wife to come pay her respects, and they saw that his wife's beauty was like that of a goddess. The stranger invited Li and his wife to the central hall; the furnishings were more luxurious and rich than those of the nobility.

The four of them were seated, and after food and drink had been served, twenty girls came out, like fairy-maidens descended from the heavens, and played music such as had never been in the world before. After they had drunk and eaten their to their hearts' content, servants brought out twenty large tables, all covered with embroidered cloth. The cloths were removed, revealing account books and keys. The curly-bearded stranger face Li Jing and said, "These are all the treasures I have; I present them to you. Why is this? I wanted to make my mark on the world, make an all-out effort for a few years, really achieve something. But now that the true dragon emperor has appeared, it doesn't matter what accomplishments I make now. Li Shimin of Taiyuan is the true Son of Heaven. Within three to five years he will bring peace to the state. Mr. Li, with your talents and assistance, provided you give it your all, you'll eventually rise beyond the ordinary ministers. And Virtuous Sister, you already has a heavenly visage, and with your unusual resourcefulness, following your husband, you will certainly enjoy glory and wealth. It's true: only Virtuous Sister could recognize Mr. Li, and only Mr. Li could have the opportunity to meet Virtuous Sister. When the sages of the generation begin to appear, you will have a good opportunity. Truly, when the dragon soars and the tiger roars, the company of heroes gathers. This is all a matter of course. I gave you these things so that you can use them to aid the true ruler, and to dedicate yourselves to making contributions and achievements. I hope you two will make a great effort. If ten years from now, a thousand li to the southeast some special thing should happen, that's just me realizing my aspirations. When that time comes, I hope Virtuous Sister and Mr. Li will offer a libation to me in congratulations." The stranger turned to his right-hand man and said, "From now on, Mr. Li and Virtuous Sister are your masters." Having said this, the stranger and his wife donned military clothes and left on horseback, with only a single servant accompanying them. After a few steps, they disappeared.

Li Jing stayed in that house, and became a rich and powerful person. He used the gifts the curly-bearded stranger had bestowed on him to aid Li Shimin in establishing a great undertaking. During the middle of Li Shimin's Zhenguan reign period, Li Jing was a close servant to the emperor. Foreign tribesman to the southeast reported to the emperor, "More than 1,000 ships and 100,000 troops have entered the Kingdom of Fuyu, killing the king. All is stable inside the kingdom now." Li Jing knew that the curly-bearded stranger had succeeded. When he got home, Li Jing told his wife, and they faced the southeast and offered a libation in congratulations.

From this event we can see that a true man rises up not from just any hero, much less from someone who is not a hero. Treacherous court officials who seek to rebel are like a praying mantis trying to resist a cart. It has been said that half of the Duke of Wei, Li Jing's military strategy was handed down from the curly-bearded stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteskwirl View Post
    Hong Funu (Red Whisk, or Red Brush Lady as Foxs has it) is a fictional character from the Tang dynasty story "Curly Bearded Stranger" 虯髯客.

There are many translations of that story around, here is my translation I did several years ago:
    Yes, it is indeed the most famous legend about Red Brush Lady.

虯髯客,李靖,紅拂女 are known as collectively as 風塵三俠 (The Three Heroes of the Windblown Dust)。Windblown dust usually refers to the prostitution or courtesan trade or even more generally, the hardship of the commoner's life.

Thank you very much for that background! It is very nice and helpful for understanding more of the story.
    Last edited by chowbeng; 12-19-16 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typo...

An amusing clip for readers who like fighting...
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫