Page 11 of 358 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Thanks foxs

Default Book 2 - Chapter 1, Part 2

You are welcome, Zlacker ... HPC, Janger, Anh, you are welcome too. Jaya, he is still around, at least for the near foreseeable future. I do not see Li Jing and Susu again though. Sky, agree, they were closer than brothers.

The end of Book 2 Chapter 1.

He was just avoiding a cart and was forced to move closer to the side of the road when a hand suddenly appeared from the wooded area, grabbed him, and pulled him inside.

Then his entire body was clasped under someones arm; immediately he felt weak all over.

He tried to turn his head around, but was still unable to see what kind of person had captured him. Instead, he saw Xu Zilings big head protruding underneath the persons other arm just like a turtle, repeatedly making eye signals to him, warning him that they were in danger.

Bang, bang! The two boys were tossed on a grassy ground at the edge of the woods; their heads dizzy from falling down headfirst. Humming and hawing they tried to crawl up.

The two boys looked around, but Du Fuwei was nowhere to be seen. With a shout they fled for their lives.

Suddenly thud! Kou Zhong fell down to the ground. Xu Ziling was already more than ten zhang ahead, but he turned around and ran back. It was not until he wanted to lift Kou Zhong up that he realized that Kou Zhong had fainted.

Dejected, Xu Ziling sat on the ground. Du Fuweis legs suddenly appeared before his eyes.

Gasping for breath, Xu Ziling asked, What do you want?

Du Fuwei said indifferently, You may leave now!

Shaken, Xu Ziling looked up. He saw Du Fuweis icy-cold expression. Did you just say I can go now? he asked in disbelief.

Du Fuwei nodded, Thats right! he said, You may leave now. But only you, alone.

Xu Ziling was crestfallen. I would never sell a friend to seek my own glory, he said.

Du Fuwei squatted and smiled, Your Jianghu experience is too shallow, he said, Just with one test I can tell the relationship between you and Kou Zhong. Great! Now I am going to ask you a question, and you reply with one answer. You must not hesitate at all; otherwise I will crush your good friends hands and feet, so that he will be maimed for the rest of his life.

Xu Ziling was aghast. What do I am giving you wrong answers have anything to do with him? Dont you think you are being too unfair?

With a wooden face Du Fuwei said, There is no such thing as fairness in the world. Otherwise, there wont be emperors, there wont be beggars begging for food. Dont even think of giving me any random answer. I am going wake Kou Zhong up later, and if your answers do not agree with each other, I will know whether you are babbling nonsense or not. One lie, I am going to dig Kou Zhongs eyeball out; two lies, it will be your good friends hands and feets turn.

Listening to him, Xu Zilings entire body went numb. In term of cruelty and heartlessness, the so-called gangsters and villains he met in Yangzhou became kind and benevolent men.

Du Fuwei speculated inwardly, I want to see now if you, this kid, will be disobedient.

Actually, he felt it was beneath his dignity to kill those evil thugs who pursued Xu Ziling and wanted to kill him; it was only because Du Fuwei wanted Xu Ziling to believe that he was a cruel man that he hardened his heart and bore the pain to kill them.

The fact that Yuwen Huaji hunted down these two kids, and they were rescued by Gaoli demoness [orig. female Luocha (demon in Buddhism)] Fu Junchuo, has caused sensation in Jianghu; especially since this matter involved the treasure trove of Duke Yang, Du Fuwei was very interested. Therefore, when his subordinate spoke about the boys appearance, he rushed over personally, just as Xu Ziling and the others, including unconscious Li Jiang, were about to leave town.

Now that he saw Xu Ziling has succumbed under pressure, he was very excited; but outwardly he showed indifference as he asked, Why did Yuwen Huaji want to catch you?

After giving Kou Zhong a glance, Xu Ziling dejectedly said, That must be because of that ghost book!

Du Fuwei showed off his acting skill; to show that he was not completely ignorant, he carelessly said, So its the Secret to Long Life that the tyrant wanted to obtain. Not only that tyrant is bloody and cruel, he is totally ignorant as well! Immortality! What a devious idea!

In a roundabout way he asked, So who taught you true qi cultivation?

Judging from his questions, it was obvious that Du Fuwei was not a simple man at all. His question did not follow any particular sequence; rather, he adopted a surprise-attack technique so that the opponent did not have time to prepare the answer in advance.

Sure enough, Xu Ziling was dumbstruck. Seeing Du Fuweis eyes flashed with cold rays, he hurriedly shook his hand and said, Dont! Ill speak! Niang taught me.

It was Du Fuweis turn to be shocked, Your Niang?

Xu Ziling knew he could not hide anything from this Prince of the Devils; therefore, he sighed and narrated the course of events concerning their encounter with Fu Junchuo. When he reached the part where Fu Junchuo died, his eyes turned red, he nearly cried. He forgot completely that Du Fuwei was not someone with whom he could bare his soul to.

Who would have thought that Du Fuwei stretched out his hand toward Kou Zhongs eyes, shook his head and said, You are lying!

Xu Ziling was shocked. Calling out to Heaven for the injustice he said, If I say one empty word, may I die a horrible death.

Du Fuwei really did not disbelief him, its just that he was toying with him to get the most important piece of information. His tone turned gentle as he said, The true qi within you does not seem to have the least connection with Gaolis Yi Jian Dashi [see Book 1 Chapter 3] Fu Cailins Nine Mysteries Qi; how could the Luocha woman teach you?

Xu Ziling breathed a sigh of relief; assuming the oh, so thats what it is attitude, he sighed and said, Niang only taught us the theory of training, but she did not have time to teach us how to train. Without any clue, we had no choice but looking at the Secret to Long Life and train according to the lines indicated by the diagrams. This is the truth; if you dont believe me, there is nothing I can do.

Du Fuweis eyes lit up, but pretending to be discouraged he said, This is a really fantastic story, turns out the Secret to Long Life is indeed a martial art manual. But even if I obtain it right now, its useless. Unless I am willing to disperse my inner power completely. Humph, did the Luocha woman mention anything about the Duke Yangs treasure-trove? Never mind; even if she did not, its not a big deal, I can always dig her body out. I am sure I will find some spiders thread and horse track.

Horrified, Xu Ziling cried out, How could you do such thing?

Right this moment, he saw Kou Zhongs hand twitched a little; apparently he was about to wake up.

Du Fuwei had his back facing Kou Zhong, hence he did not see it. He calmly said, Why dont you tell me then? Ay! Buried and at rest, naturally it would be best if we dont disturb your Niang.

Xu Ziling hung his head down as he said with a sigh, I surrender! But you have to let us go. Duke Yangs treasure-trove is inside the Emperor Guan Temple located at the northern part of Yangzhou. If you move the idol away, you will see the tunnel leading to the hidden treasure. Niang was about to take the treasure out when she came across us. If you dont believe me, you can wake Kou Zhong up to see if our story matches. You knocked him out for so long, could there be any problem?

Du Fuwei stared blankly and said, Yangzhou city? This is certainly unimaginable to present day people. Ha! Stretching out his finger, he sent out a strong gust of wind, Xu Ziling immediately passed out.

After nobody knows how long, Xu Ziling finally regained his consciousness. He saw Kou Zhong was sitting dejectedly by his side, while Du Fuwei was looking up to the sky, God knows what he was thinking about.

Kou Zhong sighed. Xiao Ling! Forgive me, he said, For your little lifes sake, I had to reveal the secret of the Temple of Emperor Guan.

Shut up! Du Fuwei suddenly snapped, If I hear three more words from you, Ill kill you. And then he straightened up and stood up. Get up! he said.

The two boys heart was thumping madly in nervousness, since they were unsure if he was going to kill them to shut their mouth.

Du Fuweis eyes glittered like frost and snow as he coldly looked at them up and down several times. Only after seeing that the hair on their body stood up did he say gently, I want you, two little demons, to take me to the Secret to Long Life first before I can give you your freedom.

Didnt you say Secret to Long Life is useless to you? Xu Ziling shouted.

Du Fuwei smiled, There is no harm in looking, is there? he said, From now on, I want you two to call me Die [pronounced dee-eh, Dad, the counterpart of Niang]. Whatever I say, youll do it. Understood? Come! Let me hear you call me Die!

The two boys looked at each other; they both thought that a wise man submits to circumstances [orig. only an outstanding talent can recognize current trends], helplessly they lowered their level and called him Dad, while having a feeling of acknowledging a bandit as their father [idiom, meaning complete betrayal or selling oneself to the enemy].

But Du Fuwei was greatly pleased; he roared in laughter and said, Good kids, let your Die take you to a wine shop and have you eat your fill before leaving. Look! The day is breaking soon; before sunrise, we ought to be able to cover a hundred li or so.

Thanks for the update foxs...

Much appreciated...

Hi foxs. I am at Burien. How do you have the time to translate? I am so busy and I am just working one job!

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs.

I wouldn't be surprised if DFW really treated them like his own sons. Almost everyone in the story so far fell for their charms one way or another. There's just something special about these boys (main characters plot armor).

Thanks foxs

Default Book 2 - Chapter 2, Part 1

SzFong, Jaya, HPC, Anh, you are welcome. Strawberry, I don't. I simply use whatever time left (lunch break, time while I wait for my kids having their swim class, etc.) to translate. Sky, reading the next part, it does not seem like that's the case. But since I have not read the story, I cannot say with certainty.

Book 2 Chapter 2 Mutual Deception[1]

Carried under Du Fuweis arms, the two boys really covered about a hundred li that day. Before daybreak they have arrived at Xinan County [Luoyang, Henan].

This county is one of the two thriving big cities along the Yangtze River. Because the fire of war has not reached this place, compounded with a large numbers of refugees fled here to seek shelter, the city was bustling with noise and excitement.

With hands behind his back and a face that did not show any expression, Du Fuwei led the way. It was not clear whether he felt embarrassed that everybody was avoiding him due to his demonic appearance, or whether he was proud of it.

Kou Zhong made an eye signal to Xu Ziling before he hastened his steps toward Du Fuwei. Die! he called, Arent you supposed to go back to Liyang to become big king over there? Perhaps there are people who took advantage of your absence to rise in rebellion!

Du Fuwei said indifferently, Good boy, youd better speak a couple of words less. Otherwise, if other people hear it, I would have to kill them to shut their mouth.

Kou Zhong stuck out his tongue. Pretending to be scared he returned to Xu Zilings side and said in a low voice, Li Dage was right. Die is not a good material for somebody who would conquer the world [tian xia]; he is too eager to kill, and dont know how to buy the hearts of the people.

Du Fuwei turned his head around to glower at him; his sharp eyes shot a chilling murderous intention. The scared Kou Zhong did not dare to continue.

Du Fuwei was about two cun taller than the two boys, plus he was wearing a tall hat; walking among the crowd, he really looked like a crane in a flock of chicken, very conspicuous.

The three of them climbed the stairs in the largest restaurant in town. The restaurant was jam-packed with people, trying to find an empty table was definitely harder than ascending the heavens. Du Fuwei pulled a water aside and stuffed two strings of zhu coins [1 zhu = 1/24 of a tael] into his hand. God knows how the waiter conjured up his magic trick, right away the waiter led them to an empty table next to a window, and respectfully asked them, three father and sons to sit down.

After ordering tea and some appetizers, Du Fuwei only took a sip of tea, and then he stopped and looked at the two boys devouring their food. With an indifferent tone he asked, Who said I dont know how to buy the peoples heart?

Kou Zhong replied in low voice, If Die knew how to buy the peoples heart, you would not go around forcing people into service, to enlist your troops by force; as a result those who saw it are terrified.

Du Fuwei was incredulous, What does a kid like you know? Theres a common saying, wealth define character. Right now Die can barely scrape a meager living by living like a pauper. If I am not careful, even my family property can be lost. Where can I find the capital to buy the peoples heart?

Kou Zhong shook his head and swayed his noggin, If Die knew how to buy the peoples heart, you would dress your children to look like great heroes, so that when you toot your horn about coming to the aid of the people and saving the world, we, two brothers, will follow good ol Die delightfully, and even help you conquering the world. It would be much better than relying on fear to control us, and thus harming the congeniality between us, father and sons.

Xu Ziling could not endure it, he nearly spurt the delicious pastries out of his mouth; but seeing Du Fuweis unsightly countenance, he hurried covered his mouth and hung his head low.

Kou Zhong totally ignored the ominous glint in Du Fuweis eyes; he still giggled and said, Die, you, Senior, should not be angry; sincere advice is always unpleasant to hear. The reason the muddle-headed ruler is called muddle-headed ruler is precisely because he is unwilling to listen to sincere advice. Die, if you only want to be a gangster leader, naturally there wont be any problem, but if you want to be the worlds leader, no matter how unwilling you are to listen to criticism, you have to put up an attitude of respecting the wise, encouraging free airings of different views. Only then would people not call you just another muddle-headed ruler.

Du Fuwei was listening to him with a blank expression on his face.

He started his career by making a life-and-death [orig. kissing neck] friendship with Fu Gongyou, mustering wanderers and riffraff [orig. grass and weeds/uncultivated land] and became the regions overlord of the underworld. Later on he led his troops to seek shelter under Wang Bo of Changbai Mountain. And then he broke away from Wang Bo to become an independent general crisscrossing the Huai River, never suffered any defeat. Right now even Liyang had fallen into his hands, his reputation shook the world. But he had never had anybody dared to reprimand him on his face, especially not a bookish advice coming from a kids mouth, whose smell of his mothers milk has not dried yet. However, while listening to him, he felt something fresh; in particular the way Kou Zhong kept calling him Dad. If he got angry because of this, he really lacked grace; therefore, momentarily he did not know how to refute.

Kou Zhong had not finished; he ate and talked at the same time, Die, your martial art skill is so formidable. It seems to me that even Yuwen Huagu is not your match.

Casting a glance at Du Fuweis expression, he let out a huh? and then continued, Could it be that your son kissed the wrong butt? Why does Dies expression become so unsightly? Ay! After obtaining the Secret to Long Life, you are going to kill your children to shut our mouths anyway, so just bear with us a bit longer! Or perhaps you could seal our mute acupoint, so that we cannot make any noise. Hee hee! Actually, is mute acupoint real?

Du Fuweis strong eyes swept around, he noticed that Kou Zhong constantly increased the volume of his voice. He shook his head with a wry smile and said, If you, this kid, are thinking about drawing other peoples attention to save you, its just a wishful thinking. All you are doing is just adding a few more lives to take.

Suddenly he reached down under the table to pinch Xu Zilings thigh. As soon as he exerted strength to his five fingers, Xu Ziling was in so much pain that he had to spit the culinary delicacy in his mouth.

Kou Zhong raised his hands in mock surrender and said, Die is still more ruthless than your child. This strategy besieging Wei to rescue Zhao [to relieve besieged ally by attacking the home base of the besiegers] and make declaration for the east but strike to the west, I really cannot ward off. Die, please be magnanimous! Child understood that in everything power trumps logic. Dies lesson is very good.

Du Fuwei was still a bit at a loss. His biggest problem was that right now was not the time to kill people to shut their mouth yet. Withdrawing his big hand, he said drily, From now on you are not allowed to speak.

Kou Zhong giggled and coughed, trying to stifle his laugh, but in the end he tossed his head back and roared in laughter. Only then did he lower his head and munched busily.

Du Fuwei was so furious he nearly blew his lungs. But since he did not say that they must not laugh, he felt embarrassed to punish them.

The two little demons exchanged a glance and both smiled knowingly in triumph.

Leaving the restaurant, with bamboo toothpicks in their mouth, Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling strolled leisurely behind Du Fuwei. From time to time they bumped their shoulders against each other; their mind seemed to be free from the immediate trouble.

Without saying a single word, Du Fuwei headed for the marketplace and bought two horses; he had the two boys rode together in one horse with a strict warning, If you are still daydreaming about relying on the horses legs to escape, I will dig one eyeball from each of you. Are we clear?

The two boys nodded their head deferentially; their appearance made others laugh.

Du Fuwei was in no mood to argue with them, he told them to ride in the front, leading the way, while he followed behind them.

As soon as they left the city, the horses galloped along the official road. Xu Ziling let the horse speed along without trying to rein it at all.

Seeing that Du Fuwei was lagging behind at least five zhang away, Kou Zhong whispered in Xu Zilings ear, This is bad, if we let this evil man takes the treasure underneath the Emperor Guan Temple in Yangzhou, Niang will definitely blame us. But with his other hand he wrote on Xu Zilings back, Just now at the restaurant I tried to attract other peoples attention. If someone is blocking our way, we can seize the opportunity to escape.

Xu Ziling understood his intention, so he said with a sigh, He is so formidable, we had no choice but to obey. In my opinion, although he is cruel and overbearing, he is actually a good person. At least until now he has not beaten us yet. Wed better give the Secret to Long Life to him first, and then well see whether he would really take us as his sons. When he becomes the emperor in the future, wont we become crown prince? Yifu [foster father/godfather] ought not to kill yizi! [foster child; yi here means righteousness, same as righteous army I mentioned earlier, also same character in yiqi]

Based on previous experience with Fu Junchuo, the boys knew that even though they were separated by a few zhang, it would be hard to conceal anything from Du Fuweis ears.

Kou Zhong knitted his eyebrows and said, Ay! Just before her death Niang told us about the secret of opening the treasure-trove, something like three left six right, seven forward eight backward, three turns two spins; did you hear her clearly? Seems like there were two more sentences. Niangs death was so tragic, I cried so hard that my ears turned deaf; how could I hear clearly? Didnt Niang said that if we fail to know the secret of how to open the door, even if we get into the Temple we wont find the entrance to the treasure-trove?

Inwardly Xu Ziling praised Kou Zhongs ingenuity. Of course I remember, he played along, But unless he is willing to take us as his sons, otherwise he would kill us to shut our mouths anyway, we might as well not tell him anything. Fortunately Niang taught us the technique to break our main artery; worst case scenario we immediately commit suicide to end our miserable life.

Kou Zhong pretended to be horrified, You must not do that, he said, Ill say the old ghost Du can be considered a rare talent, as long as he does not have any son yet, he must find two genius and outstanding talents like us to be his heirs; at least he could use us to admonish his ministers. If he throws us away for nothing, he is a really big fool [orig. muddled egg].

After a short pause he sighed and added, Ay! But you were right too, if he deal with us ruthlessly, if he gives us even half a slap on the face, we will immediately kill ourselves, to teach that evil tyrant Dad a lesson, instead of obtaining the treasure, he will be crushed to death when the while Emperor Guan Temple collapse on him.

Hearing the more he bragged, the farther off-track he was, Xu Ziling was afraid Du Fuwei might see through their charades. Stop talking, he busily said, He might catch up with us!

Kou Zhong pretended to look back, he saw Du Fuwei lowering his head, so he knew their brilliant scheme was successful; thus he promptly shut his mouth, while in his heart he was so pleased with himself that it was hard to describe his feeling right now.

By dusk that day, the three of them reached a big town called Nanzhi. Du Fuwei found a small inn, but he only booked one room. And then he took the two boys to a small restaurant nearby to have dinner. His manner was a lot more benevolent than before.

From the dozen or so tables, only half were occupied. The patrons appeared to be local the haves.

The three chose a quiet table on the corner. After ordering food and drink, slowly and casually said, Since the two of you are obedient, you are now allowed to talk.

Kou Zhong lightly kicked Xu Zilings leg under the table. He heaved a sigh and said, Whatever Die, the Senior, is unwilling to hear, you might as well tell us plainly, so that your sons will not offend you by breaking your taboo, but will seal our lips instead.

[1] Title chapter original: you hoodwink me, I cheat on you.

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks for another update.

KZ is hilarious! Love that kid!

Default Book 2 - Chapter 2, Part 2

HPC, Anh, Jaya, Sky, you are welcome. Merry Christmas!! And God bless us all everyone ...

Although Du Fuwei was an ambitious and ruthless character of the dark road who could kill people without blinking an eye, he was helpless against Kou Zhong. To show that he was magnanimous, he forced a laugh and said, As long as you dont deliberately stir up trouble, why would I be afraid of your talk? The amount of salt I took is more than the grains of rice you have eaten, the number of bridges I crossed is more than the road you have travelled.

Kou Zhong showed a I beg to differ expression, but he did not contradict.

Xu Ziling said in a low voice, We, two brothers, accept our misfortunes as decreed by fate. Du Zongguan [see Chapter 1], after obtaining the Secret to Long Life, would you grant us a quick and easy death, and not subject us to prolonged suffering? Ay! Since Niang died, we have always thought about following her to the Yellow Spring [underworld in Chinese Mythology, equivalent to Hades or Hell]. Its just that we dont have the courage to kill ourselves!

Kou Zhong interrupted, Die, after we die, it would be best if whenever you have spare time, you have your subordinates, the generals, to order those foot soldiers to burn some gold and silver paper[2] for us, so that in the Yellow Spring, Niang and us can live comfortably and in style.

With these two boys messing around with him, Du Fuwei really did not know whether he should laugh or he should cry. Who said anything about killing you? he said with a wry smile.

With a straight face Kou Zhong said, A rulers words is no joking matter; in that case you cant even harm us.

Du Fuwei was indeed a wily old fox; he smiled and said, If you dont hide anything from me, I, Du Fuwei, will keep my promises [orig. one word worth nine sacred tripods[3]]. In the future I definitely wont mistreat you.

The two boys knew he had fallen into their trap. After exchanging a glance, Kou Zhong said with a sigh, Dies promise is good enough. Xiao Ling, you may tell him!

Xu Ziling said, The entrance to the treasure-trove must be opened in specific way. If Die is willing to swear a heavy oath, guaranteeing that you will not harm even half a hair on our bodies by any method, that you will truly consider us as your sons, then son will tell you the secret.

Du Fuwei saw a group of men and women just walked in to the restaurant, one of them was an elderly man with an out-of-the-ordinary manner; obviously he was a martial art expert. Du Fuwei nodded and said, Well talk about it later. Lets eat!

Following his gaze, Xu Ziling and Kou Zhong also looked toward the door. Four eyes lit up simultaneously.

The new comers were five in total, one old man and four young people. Each one of them carried either a sword or a saber. The one causing the two boys eyes to light up was a sixteen or seventeen-year old, budding young girl in the prime of youth, with an exceptionally good-looking countenance.

The old man was short and stout, his bearing looked bold and powerful; as soon as he walked in, his eyes landed squarely on Du Fuwei.

The other three were young men around twenty-year old, their physiques looked heroic and strong, one of them was exceptionally handsome, and taller than the other two. This young man walked side-by-side with the beautiful girl in an intimate manner.

The young girl noticed the two boys, Kou and Xus marketplace rascals eyes were sizing her up without blinking, and angry look flitted across her pretty face; she turned her head away in disdain, and pressed closer to the tall and handsome young mans back as they entered the restaurant.

Knowing that they had caught the young girls attention, the two boys were very excited; they looked at each other and laughed.

Du Fuwei saw everything clearly, but a warm, familiar feeling welled up in his heart.

He was born into a poor family, and since childhood he wasted his time stealing and robbing at the marketplace. He could not even remember how many times he was beaten up because he took liberties with beautiful women.

Later on, after mastering martial art skill, it was his turn to bully other people. But after nearly twenty years of cultivating superior martial art skill and exercising restraint of his sexual desire, he no longer forced himself into a woman. Looking at these two boys mannerism has evoked his memory.

Do you want Die to get her as your wife for a few nights? he asked in low voice.

The two boys jumped in fright. They both shook their hands to refuse. Xu Ziling seriously said, There is no fun in those who come by coercion; our eyes see but our hands do not move.

Du Fuwei suddenly started to like these two boys, raising his thumb he said, Good child!

The two boys inwardly thought that you curry our favor just to obtain the non-existent secret method to open the treasure-trove! Naturally they did not feel grateful at all. But they still put a happy expression on their face.

Because he saw that the girl was already taken [orig. the flower has a master/owner], plus he was afraid that the girl would provoke disaster from Du Fuwei because of them, Kou Zhong renounced his urge to enjoy the beauty and simply stuffed himself.

Hows Dies martial art skill compared to Yuwen Huagus? he asked curiously, Which one is higher, which one is lower?

This was the second time Du Fuwei heard him arbitrarily changed Yuwen Huajis name to Yuwen Huagu; he was greatly amused. Being together with you, two kids, I laughed a lot more than I did for the last ten years added together, he said, Later on you must not ask this kind of nave question. I have never met him nor exchange palms with him, how do I know whos superior and whos inferior?

For the sake of the treasure-trove, he gave this half true and half false answer to entertain them.

Xu Ziling said, There must be some criteria. For instance, that guy Wu Zun Bi Xuan [see Book 1 Chapter 5], or San Zhenren Ning Daoqi [see Book 1 Chapter 6]; how many people have actually exchange palms with them? Yet isnt their rank set up on high?

With a cold laugh Du Fuwei said, They are undoubtedly most outstanding martial art masters of this age; but every generation in the rivers and mountains [i.e. country] produces talents. Who could guarantee that they will occupy that position forever?

Kou Zhong nodded and said, Dies opinion is very insightful. I wonder how many martial art masters in Jianghu are in the same level as you are?

Seeing he was putting up a grownup manner in deadly earnest, Du Fuwei was not amused. Quickly eat! he snapped.

The two boys were highly interested in the discussion, naturally they were quite put off; without any choice they simply go back to eating with heads down.

Du Fuwei has always been highly authoritative in front of his subordinates. It could be said that no one did not respect him or was afraid of him. Who would have thought that these two boys acted like he was their real Dad? In actuality he did not know how to handle these two boys. His heart softened and he said, If we are talking about the origin of Wulins diverse schools and sects, it can roughly divided into north and south, two major systems. It is called southerners put emphasis on simplicity and obtain the essence; northerners delve deeper and exhaust their branch and leaves. The so-called north and south refers to the north and south of the Great River. South side Wulin always leans toward the esteemed doctrine of metaphysical study [Wei and Jin philosophical school amalgamating Taoist and Confucian ideals], continuing the so-called Central Plains orthodoxy since the Wei [220-265] and Jin [265-420] dynasties. The north side on the other hand, receives heavy influence of extra-territorial Wulin world; the martial art skills branch into thousand schools ten thousand varieties in innumerable succession. It could be said to be very dynamic and fascinating. But at the highest level, each one has its own distinguishing feature, its hard to say which one is superior, which one is inferior.

Speaking to this point, he saw, sitting three tables away, the old mans ears were twitching; evidently he was listening to their conversation. In his heart he was a bit wary, since he had already used his inner energy to focus his voice so that it would not spread out. If the opposite side could still hear it, it means this person could be considered a top quality martial art master of the Jianghu.

At other times, Du Fuwei might made his move to try him out, but right now he had an important matter at hand, he was not interested in meddling with any other matters. Therefore, he immediately stopped talking and urged the two boys to eat their fill, and then paid the bill and left.

Patted their belly, Xu Ziling and Kou Zhong followed him out.

As they walked past the girls table, she suddenly stretched out her foot and with matchless precision placed it right between Xu Zilings feet, who was the last in line. She exerted her strength and twisted.

Xu Ziling screamed and stumbled onto Kou Zhong back. The two of them fell down and rolled on the ground like a gourd.

[2] Hell money or Joss paper, considered currency in the underworld, offered as burnt offerings to the deceased in Chinese culture. (Wikipedia, keyword hell money or joss paper)

[3] Side note: for more on tripods, please read Jin Yongs Deer and Cauldron, Chapter 1, translated by yours truly.

Thanks for the christmas present foxs and Merry Christmas!

Thank you Sir !!!

Thanks foxs. Merry Christmas

Thanks, foxs.

Merry Christmas to you and your family and to all spcnet wuxia fans!

Thanks Foxs. Been waiting patiently for the next chapter where Du Fuwei kicks *** and shows his merciless nature when angered.

Love the fast and constant updates. Not to be disrespectful of the previous translation, but I couldn't fully appreciate this wonderful story due to sporadic entries. Found myself rereading old chapters to refresh my decrepit memory. Initially I was against rebooting the translations as the previous version did such an awesome job. Now I see and understand how you integrate your personal style to enhance our reading experience.

Love how the rascals manipulate the characters to benefit the situations. Gotta admire daddy'o for playing their game and making deft moves to match two pros with synchronized minds.

Can't wait to read more. Merry Christmas!