Page 5 of 358 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast

Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    [Translators note: as I mentioned before, the world here always refers to China. I know its simpler just to say China, but I want the reader to know the different words to describe China. Tian Xia (lit. under the sky) being one of those. Interestingly, the word China itself does not exist in Chinese text.]
    There is an old term for China - 華夏 (Huaxia).

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%8D%8E%E5%A4%8F

Thank you Fox for rebooting this project.
    Will be following on the progress of this project and looked forward to its completion - something that I know you will attain.
    "Beau non fidele en fidele non beau"

d'enfant fiscale

Default Book 1 - Chapter 6 Part 2

Scrapper, Anh, HPC, you are welcome. Szfong, I am reading it as I am translating it, and since this is my first attempt at translating Huang Yi's, I wouldn't know. But I did save the (English translation) of Step into the Past in MS-Word document, at the exact format as Deer and Cauldron (font, font size, page size and margin). You know, SITP has 2166 pages, while Deer and Cauldron has 1768 pages. So if this novel is twice SITP, then it is probably 2.5 times longer than Deer and Cauldron. Fortunately the chapters are a lot shorter than Jin Yong's, so I get the feeling that I translate faster. CFT, thanks for the info. My Dad once told us, his kids, that the term China probably came from Qin (dynasty), similar to 'Jews' coming from 'Judah'. Anok, now, please don't scare me ... I can't promise you anything, since I don't even know what will happen tomorrow. But as I mentioned before, the Lord's willing, I will try my best to finish it ... probably (according to previous calculations by various readers) in 40 years or more ... Just kidding. But even if I maintain the same speed as when I did Deer and Cauldron, it will still take close to 8 years, probably more.

Anyway, enough chit-chat, here's the end of Chapter 6. I will try to post more the rest of this week. I don't plan on shopping on Black Friday anyway ...

His laughter was infectious. Once she started laughing, even though she knew that Kou Zhong was teasing her and trying to make her laugh, she still could not stop laughing that she needed to cover her mouth with her hand.

Gasping for breath, she scolded him, Get your big ghost head lost. Little demon Xu is a lot more honest than you. Indeed a dogs mouth cannot grow ivory.

Kou Zhong pretended to be deeply hurt by this injustice; he said in tiny voice, Xiao Ling is honest? My heavens! He is craftier than I am. Its just that he fell in love with her Niang that he turns into a fool.

Xu Ziling indignantly said, How can I be crafty? All those crafty ideas came from you, but I, the fool, have always been the one who has to do it; and now you still come up with fabricated accusation and dump it on my head?

The woman-in-white struggled hard not to laugh. Looking out the window at the glow of the setting sun, she sighed and said, I must have committed some sins in my previous life that in this life I have two kids like you to annoy me. Alright, although fully aware that nothing good will come out of it, Ill still teach you some kind of training method. If you really can master this skill, then Ill consider teaching you swordsmanship. But you two are not my children; even more, you are not my disciples.

The two boys spirit was greatly shaken, they asked in chorus, What are you to us then?

The woman-in-white was stunned. After staying silent for half a day, she said with wry smile, Dont ask me! But there was a warm feeling rising up in her heart.

Even she herself could not understand why she felt it was hard to part with these two boys; so much so that when they called her Niang, she could not bring herself to reprimand them.

Herself was an orphan born in the chaos of war, which was adopted by a Gaoli martial art master Fu Cailin. Ever since she was a mere child, she was trained to be an assassin, in addition to learning Han peoples language and culture. The reason she came to the south this time was precisely to be a part of a mission.

Happy and giggling, Kou Zhong said, Being our Niang is most fitting. Lets strike while the iron is still hot. Oh my Niang, quickly teach your consummate skill to your child.

The woman-in-white gave him an angry stare, and then in a low voice she said, My name is Fu Junchuo. If you like, you can call me Chuo Jie [older sister]. I really have never imagined that in this trip I would be involved with you, two little frivolous and naughty boys.

Kou Zhong noticed that her manner and her words differed greatly; he winked and said, I still prefer to call you Niang, dont you? Xiao Ling?

Fu Junchuo spoke tenderly, The mouth is on your face, you can call me anything you want.

Xu Ziling was overwhelmed with emotion that he felt like crying, his eyes turned red. Hanging down his head, he called, Niang!

Fu Junchuo was also overwhelmed with emotions, it was quite a while later that she was able to suppress this emotion that very rarely surfaced. She coldly said, You may call whatever you like, but no way I am willing to admit that you are my sons, and dont expect even more that I will take you by my side. Alright, now I am going to teach you the fundamentals of sitting in meditation to cultivate your qi. This is the unique skill passed on by my master, without my explicit permission, you must not pass it on to anybody else, or else, even if I cannot bear to do it, I must follow my schools law and kill you, two little demons.

The two boys nodded their heads repeatedly signifying their promise.

Fu Junchuo solemnly said, My master Fu Cailin achieved great success in combining martial arts from the Central Plains, Xiyu[2], and Gaoli, developing his own unique style. Therefore, together with Western Regions powerful hegemon Wu Zun [wulins most venerable] Bi Xuan, Central Plains number one Taoist martial art expert San Zhenren[3] Ning Daoqi, became known as the three great masters of the present age. He once said that it is sufficient to know from oneself every change of divine power. He was saying that everyone has a treasure trove hidden deep within himself, the potential is boundless, but is blinded by all kinds of worldly attachments.

No wonder Niang said that one must start training since childhood, simply because children have the least worldly attachments, hence it is very likely that they will be able to break free and become enlightened.

Fu Junchuo stared blankly for a moment and then said, I have never thought it that way. Oh! You, this little kid, seem to have a bit of comprehension ability.

Kou Zhong proudly said, This child Xiao Ling is constantly inspired, its only natural that he is not much inferior.

Fu Junchuo glowered at him and said, This guy loves to show off his intelligence the most. Dont be conceited, intelligent people often have the most distractions, and distracting thought is precisely the biggest barrier to training basic skills. Only by guarding your heart and total focus can you get rid of the ego, and become alert to the mystery of heavens. Everything will come one by one, and then going through the meridians [or channels] according to the training method, harmonizing the qi and the blood, regulating the adverse and the favorable going in and out in balance. Therefore, although the method is ever-changing, the basic idea is still this One word.

Scratching his head, Kou Zhong said, In that case, isnt the person with the highest martial art skill ought to be the most stupid person? Is Niangs Shifu stupid and slow-witted?

Fu Junchuo was angry, but was also stumped; knowing that it was not the fact, but did not know how to refute his argument. If it were before, she might just gave him a beating; but now, toward this child who kept calling her Niang, she was a bit fond of him.

While she was vexed, Xu Ziling spoke up on her behalf, Certainly not. Someone who can master martial art skill and establish a sect must be able to create, only then would he be able to surpass the ordinary ability and accomplishments of previous generations. Therefore, the one Niang is referring to ought to be someone who is sharp but petty-minded, not someone with great wisdom and great intelligence, the one so-called highly skillful but appears clumsy. Niangs Shifu must be this sort of great intelligence may appear to be stupidity person.

Kou Zhong and Fu Junchuo stared at Xu Ziling as if it was the first time that they noticed that this person existed. They were both deeply moved. Fu Junchuo nodded and said, Little demon Ling indeed has a little comprehension.

Kou Zhong happily said, This little brother of mine indeed has a little comprehension. Ill say he usually looks clumsy and stupid, turns out he has great wisdom that appears to be stupidity, hidden deep without revealing anything, making laozi [I, your father; used jocularly] has to show-off my highly skillful but appears clumsy ability, which, in the end, making me the sharp but petty-minded person.

Fu Junchuo could not help knocking his head with her knuckles, while angrily said, If you keep jesting [orig. impromptu comic material in opera performance], I wont teach you the training method.

Kou Zhong rubbed his head and protested, Oh my Niang, next time would you just spank my bottom? Otherwise, if you badly knocked my head, how could I learn Niangs top quality training method?

Fu Junchuo was not in the mood to bicker groundlessly with him; she simply said, What I am about to teach you is called Great Method of Nine Mysteries. It starts with one and end with nine. Other than Shifu, nobody has ever mastered the ninth Great Method. Even Niang oh! Even I only trained until the sixth.

Fu Junchuo blurted without thinking, calling herself Niang. Embarrassed, her beautiful face turned red, making her looked even more irresistibly sweet and charming. Seeing the two boys trying to hide their laughter, she was greatly annoyed, Dont laugh! You are the one who wears me out. Do you want to learn or not?

The two boys hurriedly nodded their head promising they wanted to learn.

It took Fu Junchuo quite a while before she was able to compose herself. She said, Underneath its defending the form, above its defending the spirit. Spirit controls the spirit, mind controls the movement. Mind is movement, getting away from it means emptiness. This emptiness is an unusual emptiness, thus not empty is in fact emptiness. Peace and quiet is profound, its existence cannot happen by chance, where it goes cannot be pursued. Thus welcome it accordingly, because unintentional is actually intention. At the beginning the mysterious way become the first level. [Translators note: my apology, these passages are way above my head, I simply translated it as close as I thought it literally means.]

After a short pause, she continued, Dont covet this first level. A lot of people spent their entire life and still unable to connect qi and mind, obtain the form but miss the spirit, until they finally quit midway, having achieving nothing.

Seeing the two boys shook their heads and swayed their minds, looking as if they gained a lot, she was astounded. Do you understand what I am saying?

Kou Zhong asked in surprise, Such a simple words, whats so difficult to understand?

Fu Junchuo recalled her Shifus high praise that she was an amazing talent to train martial art, yet until today it was only after reaching the sixth level that she was truly able to grasp the essence of the method. How could these two boys understand just by hearing it once?

Pointing to Kou Zhong, she said, You, explain it back to me.

The light from outside the window gradually dimmed; inside, the room was warm with faint fading light, carrying with it the desolate feeling of lapsing time.

Kou Zhong was stunned as he said, You have said it very well, its hard to find other words with which to explain it. If I have to explain it, Ill say that from a with-form method we need to enter the formless method, hoping to move the spirit. When the opportunity arrives, then we can have enough self-realization to access the formless treasure-trove within ourselves that Niang was referring to. Spirit and mind unleashed, then using unintentional thought resist and harness it, so that we can produce his mothers oh, I mean, produce the true qi. Heavens, can I start training now?

Listening to this, Fu Junchuo was dumbstruck. This explanation was clearer than her own Shifu, Fu Cailin. This boys innate talent was really high, it was just that he had been through horrifying situation that he could not progress further.

Xu Ziling said, If Zhong Shaoye is that eager to train, it might be harmful to you instead. Speaking about unintentional is actually intention, it is referring to the kind of mental state where we intentionally forgoing the intention, where emptiness is not empty, where peace and quiet is profound, its existence cannot happen by chance, where it goes cannot be pursued.

When Fu Junchuo heard this, her scalp felt numb. These two boys were like fine jade that has not been carved and polished; even she herself was somewhat inspired by this radiant light that penetrates ten thousand zhang of darkness.

Kou Zhong said in embarrassment, I was just saying! But please, Niang, quickly teach us the with-form method, so that when the opportunity comes, I can keep on training, even when I eat or defecate.

Fu Junchuo angrily scolded him, Dont speak foul language. Now I will teach you first how to sit cross-legged and the method to circulate the qi. I will say it just once and wont repeat it.

While the two boys mind was greatly excited, there was a knock on the door. Actually, it came from Fu Junchuos adjacent room.

Fu Junchuo sighed and said, Well continue after dinner!

Looking at the two boys disappointed expression, she almost decided to turn down Song Shidaos invitation.

All of a sudden a warm feeling toward these two witty sons grew in her heart.

[2] Western Regions, a Han Dynasty term for regions beyond Yumen Pass; as in Journey to the West.

[3] Zhenren literally means true man, a term of respect for Taoist master.

Thanks Fox's.

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs looking forward to see the boys become martial arts experts

Thanks foxs. 8 years seems like such a long time. How long did it take you to completely translate Deer and Cauldron?

Quote Originally Posted by szfong View Post
    Thanks foxs for continually updating this EXTREMELY freaking long story.

I forgot but isn't this story more than two and a half times LONGER than Huang Yi's other book, A Step into the Past and chapter sizes are about the same as his other book....
    It's hard to compare the length of novels without knowing the word count as so many factors can influence the printed product, but I can say that this novel comes to 20 volumes total. 3-5 is typical for a wuxia novel. Although, Huang Yi's novels are generally published in slim volumes, about 220 pages or so.

Huang Yi is still active, too. He's currently working on 龍戰在野 (Dragond Battle in the Fields), a sequel to the book he recently finished last year called 日月當空 (Sun and Moon in the Sky). He publishes a new volume every month. I think this current novel is supposed to run about 20 volumes as well. Sun and Moon in the Sky was 18 volumes.

Thank you!!!

Default Book 1 - Chapter 7, Part 1

Anh, Scrapper, HPC, Janger, Strawberry, you are welcome. CFT, I just checked; my first post was July 2010, and the last part (appendix) was posted March 2013, so a little over 3 year of continuous updates. Whiteskwirl is right, it depends on the number of characters. My guess is you, the readers, made comparisons based on the number of books or chapters, nobody compared the numbers of characters yet. I already found out that the chapters in this book (at least up to now, Chapter 7) are a lot, and I mean, a lot shorter than Deer and Cauldron. Who knows, maybe I can finish it sooner. But just don't hold your breath over it ... I mean, Huang Yi serialized it in five years, and like Jin Yong in the past, I think he worked on it every day, while this is not my full time job ...

Book 1 Chapter 7 Jade Annulus of the He Clan

Song Shidao prepared a banquet in the dining cabin, simple yet impressive. There was another couple in attendance. The man was around forty, but the hair on his entire head was white; he also wore a long silvery color beautiful beard, but oddly he did not look old at all. His bearing was elegant, bold and heroic, like an important character of a sect or a prominent family, yet his manner was very modest and polite.

The woman looked to be around twenty-five or twenty-six, rather flirtatious. Her attitude toward the man was very intimate, plus both her countenance and her physique were extremely titillating, giving other people a rather uneasy feeling. She reminded Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling of the ladies of the Spring Breeze Courtyard, but naturally her beauty was far superior to some Auntie Hong of the Courtyard.

According to Song Shidaos introduction, turned out the man was a well-known martial art expert of the Song Clan, the Silver Beard Song Lu, whose creation, the set of Silver Dragon Cane Techniques was famous throughout Jiangnan [area south of Yangtze River]. He was Song Shidaos [younger] uncle, one of the core-leaders of the Song Clan.

The woman was called Liu Jing, the new mistress of Song Lu, but nothing was mentioned about her background.

By the time Song Shidao wanted to introduce the three people, he suddenly realized that he did not even know these threes surnames and given names. While he was stuck in embarrassing situation, Fu Junchuo indifferently introduced themselves, without concealing anything.

Song Lu laughed and said, The person who imparted Miss internal skill obviously has first-class martial art skill; your sword style is brimming with exoticism. I wonder which superior master instructed such a brilliant character like Miss?

Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling were secretly speechless; this mans fame was definitely no fluke. Although they had never heard Song Lus name before, they knew that he must be a prominent figure; hence his eyesight was very sharp, his manner of speaking was very fitting. They could not help but admiring him, and it showed. Their gaze was actually more effective than any flattery, so that Song Lu immediately had a favorable impression toward them.

Fu Junchuo calmly replied, Mr. Song, please forgive me. Junchuo received a strict order not to disclose my background.

Liu Jing cast a sidelong glance toward the two boys with her as-clear-as-shallow-autumn-creek eyes; she smiled and said, Two Xiao Xiongdi look imposingly big and tall, why havent you practice Miss Fus martial art skill? I wonder what is your relation to Miss Fu?

Kou Zhong stuck his chest out and clearing his throat he said, We two brothers are ready to train our Niangs first-class martial art skill. Thank you very much for Mrs. Songs compliment.

Hearing him saying our Niang, Song Shidaos eyes fell on Fu Junchuos infinitely beautiful and tender body; with a changed countenance he asked, Your Niang?

Fu Junchuos charming eyes blushed slightly; after shooting an angry stare at Kou Zhong, she said in embarrassment, Dont listen to these two little demons crazy nonsense; they adamantly wanted to call me Niang.

Xu Ziling rubbed his stomach theatrically and blurted, Niang! Child is hungry.

Liu Jing could not help laughing so hard that her body shook continuously. But Song Shidao and Song Lu, uncle and nephew, were baffled. They could not figure out the real relationship between this stunning beauty and the two little demons.

Noticing the two boys were staring at Liu Jing like a lecher, Fu Junchuo felt a strange jealousy creeping into her heart. With a cold snort she said, If you dare to babble nonsense again, lets see if I if I

Casting his doubt aside, Song Shidao said, Miss Fu and Xiao Xiongdi, please come into our dining room, we can continue our chat while we eat.

Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling were youngsters after all; seeing Song Shidao treated them with respect, their jealousy diminished considerably. Plus they saw on the table was a sumptuous spread of food delicacies [orig. rarities from the mountain and the sea], hurriedly they entered the dining room and sat down in total ignorance of Jianghu etiquette.

By this time Song Shidao was already able to more or less see the two boys real background; hence he did not mind them too much. He politely invited Fu Junchuo to take a seat, and then Song Shidao and Song Lu took their seat as the host on either side of her. Liu Jing sat next to Song Lu, followed by Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling.

Two attendants immediately rushed forward to fill everybodys cup with wine. Fu Junchuo said, I have never moisten my lips with wine, and these two are underage, they ought not to drink wine as well. So gentlemen and lady, please enjoy yourselves.

Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling were dying to have a taste of fine wine; hearing her, naturally they were quite disappointed, and it showed clearly on their faces.

Fu Junchuo was inwardly very pleased; she was finally able to put these two lecherous little demons back in check.

Song Lu laughed, In that case, lets everybody not drink wine. Xiao Jing [little Jing], do you have any problem?

Liu Jing also laughed tenderly, How can qie [I, your servant; deprecatory self-reference for women] have any problem? I am afraid the ones with the problem are these two Xiao Xiongdi.

Kou Zhong stuck his chest out, A leader can submit or can stand tall as required. We can drink, we can not drink. How can there be any problem?

The three Song family people were accustomed to spend their time at the docks; they have seen all kinds of situation, big and small. Looking at the two boys, they knew that they were trying to make do in spite of adversity, yet they did not wish to expose them. Thereupon they changed the subject.

Apparently Song Lu was a food connoisseur; he casually introduced each dish on the table, and talked about the art of cooking. Listening to him, Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling, whose tummy always alternated between full and hungry, were stupefied. Their hands, however, did not stay idle; they attacked the vegetable and meat dishes systematically in a sweep-clean operation.

Fu Junchuo was not interested in the food, she only ate two strips of Chinese cabbage, and already put her chopsticks down. Her jade countenance was still as calm as the water, her beauty really looked like Guanyin Bodhisattva descending to earth.

The more Song Shidao looked at her, the more he fell in love. But because Song Lu indicated that she may have come from outside the Central Earth, he felt like his heart was pierced by a sharp thorn, because their Song Clan had a strict rule against intermarriage with different tribe. If this stunning beauty was really of a different tribe, unless he was willing to abandon his family, the two of them would never be brought together by fate.

Liu Jing did not dare to either compliment or criticize Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling, two boys table manner, but she found them to be extremely amusing. With a smile on her face she watched them sweeping the dishes clean like the wind sweeping the clouds. From time to time she even picked the dish for them and served them attentively.

After the attendants took away the bowls and the dishes, Song Lu personally served everybody tea.

Noticing that Fu Junchuo was not interested in talking about food, Song Lu changed the subject, Miss Fu, I wonder if you have deep understanding of our Central Earths matters?

Song Shidao immediately looked nervous; he knew that Song Lu was able to see his infatuation toward Fu Junchuo, hence he tried to test her to verify whether she was indeed of a different tribe, while at the same time telling Song Shidao to kill his heart.

Fu Junchuo responded emotionlessly, How can Mr. Song judge from my sword style that Junchuo is of foreign origin?

Song Shidaos handsome eyes immediately lit up.

Song Lu apologetically said, Please forgive the Ol Song for being rude and impetuous. I was just wondering if Miss has ever heard about the matter concerning the He Clans jade annulus? In the end he was still an old fox; in a roundabout way he was still testing where Fu Junchuo came from.

Like a school children, Kou Zhong raised his hand and said, I heard about it. King Zhaoxiang of Qin exchanged fifteen cities for King Huiwen of Zhaos subduing the nation treasure, the He Clans jade annulus. The Zhao King sent Lin Xiangru [c. 3rd century BC, a famous statesman of Zhao] to escort the He Clans jade annulus to see the Qin King. The Ol Lin handled the jade annulus belonging to other people in a stupid way. Fortunately the Qin King was more stupid than he was, he let him bring the He Clans jade annulus back to Zhao. This is called some his mothers returning the jade annulus to Zhao. [Chinese idiom, meaning to return something intact to its rightful owner.]

Everybody was laughing. Liu Jing laughed the hardest. Pointing to Kou Zhong, she asked, So what happened to the He Clans jade annulus afterwards?

Fu Junchuo was grateful in her heart; she knew that Kou Zhong was afraid she could not answer the question, hence he rushed in to answer it for her, while at the same time she was startled by this sons quick wit.

It was only because he had heard Bai Lao Fuzi [See Chapter 1] telling the story of returning the jade annulus to Zhao that he had something to say. As for how it returned to Zhao and what happened afterwards, he had no idea. I am afraid only Laotianye [God/Heaven] knows, he said in embarrassment.

Liu Jing laughed even harder that her body shook all over as she leaned toward Song Lu; her seductive appearance grew without restraint.

Seeing the kid was able to make his beloved concubine roaring in laughter and looked so carefree, Song Lu was happy. Momentarily he forgot to continue his probing on Fu Junchuos background. He patiently explained, Later on this He Clans jade annulus ended in Qin Shihuangs[1] hand. He ordered Li Si[2] to compose a couplet shou ming yu tian, ji shou yong chang [lit. to become Emperor by the grace of Heaven, (enjoy) both long life and eternal well-being. Wikipedia translation: Having received the Mandate from Heaven, may (the emperor) lead a long and prosperous life], eight characters in seal script that look like birds and bugs, and have jade and stone craftsmen to engrave the jade annulus. Thereupon the He Clans jade annulus has become the Emperors seal.

Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling showed an oh, so thats how it is look on their faces.

Song Shidao was afraid Song Lu might continue interrogating Fu Junchuo, he continued, After Han founder Liu Bang[3] overthrew the Great Qin Dynasty [221-207BC], Qin King, Ziying offered the He Clans jade annulus to Liu Bang. Liu Bang called it the Imperial Seal [orig. chuan guo xi, seal of state that was passed on]. Henceforth the He Clans jade annulus became a symbol of rise and fall of the nation. Later on Wang Mang[4] intended to seize the throne, he sent his younger brother Wang Shun to Changle Palace to demand the jade annulus from Empress Dowager Xiaoyuan, making Empress Dowager Xiaoyuan angry and threw it to the floor; as a result the corner broke. Wang Mang ordered a goldsmith to fill the broken corner with gold. Henceforth He Clans jade annulus also had another elegant name, jade body gold corner.

[1] Qin Shihuang, first emperor of China, 259-210BC.

[2] Li Si, (c. 280-208 BC), Legalist philosopher, calligrapher and Prime minister of Qin kingdom and Qin dynasty from 246 to 208 BC.

[3] Han Gaozu Liu Bang (256 or 247-195 BC), bandit leader who became the first Han emperor, reigned 207-195 BC.

[4] Wang Mang (45 BC-23 AD), usurped power and reigned 9-23 between the former and later Han.

Thanks foxs

Quote Originally Posted by whiteskwirl View Post
    It's hard to compare the length of novels without knowing the word count as so many factors can influence the printed product, but I can say that this novel comes to 20 volumes total. 3-5 is typical for a wuxia novel. Although, Huang Yi's novels are generally published in slim volumes, about 220 pages or so.
    I have html & chm version of A Step into the Past and Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan and their html ANSI encoded total file size are about 2.5x as long... Not scientific or accurate, of course as the html files has headers, tags, formatting, etc... I also looked at their compressed chm versions, and it is also about 2.5x as large. If it was one large epub file, it probably would be easy to calculate.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteskwirl View Post
    Huang Yi is still active, too. He's currently working on 龍戰在野 (Dragond Battle in the Fields), a sequel to the book he recently finished last year called 日月當空 (Sun and Moon in the Sky). He publishes a new volume every month. I think this current novel is supposed to run about 20 volumes as well. Sun and Moon in the Sky was 18 volumes.
    It's good that Huang Yi is still writing, I heard he would wish to emulate Jing Yong and do revisions and eventually turn it over a "caretaker" group to represent his $$$ interests, just like Jing Yong.

Thanks foxs

Default Book 1 - Chapter 7, Part 2

HPC, Anh, you are welcome. SzFong, I'll say don't worry about the length. If I set my mind on the '63 books', I will get discouraged, because it's almost four weeks, and we are still about 60-70% of Book 1. But ... my target is Book 1 by Christmas (which I am optimistic I will be able to accomplish), and then Book 2 by Lunar New Year. Let's see what will happen.

Kou Zhong laughed and said, This story must be fake; if He Clans jade annulus was thrown really hard like that, how could it not shatter?

Song Lu emotionally replied, Kou Xiao Xiong [little brother] certainly has clear understanding like deities, but this story is absolutely true. It was because the jade was not an ordinary jade. In those years, a Chu[5] man named Bian He went to Mount Jingshan [Hubei] to chop firewood. He saw a beautiful phoenix perched on a piece of bluestone. Recalling that phoenix dont perch on anything that is not a treasure he concluded that this bluestone must be a treasure; thereupon he presented the stone to King Li of Chu. Who would have thought that all precious stone craftsmen of the Chu court pointed out that the stone Bian He presented was an ordinary stone? In his anger King of Chu chopped his left foot and expelled him from his presence. In his heart Bian He felt he was wronged. When King Wu ascended the throne, again he presented the treasure, this time his right foot was cut-off. When King Wus son, King Wen ascended the throne, he heard about this matter, and had the bluestone brought back to the Palace. He ordered the artisans to carve and polish with utmost care, and cut open the stone. From inside they obtain a piece of glossy, flawless, sparkling and translucent, bright and clean, wonderful treasure that was out-of-this-world. In honor of Bian He, henceforth it was called He Shi Bi [jade disc of He].

[Translators note: Wikipedia has a full entry on He Shi Bi in English, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_Shi_Bi]

Song Shidao said, If it were ordinary jade, its impossible for the Chu courts precious stone craftsmen not to know it. Their mistake was to think it was an ordinary stone. Moreover, precious stones have never been found on Mount Jingshan. Evidently He Clans jade annulus was totally different from other jade or precious stones. Also, it was the first time that such amazing treasure was discovered; therefore, nobody recognized it. Being thrown down to the ground and broke only one corner clearly demonstrated He Clans jade annulus extraordinary property.

This time, even Fu Junchuo showed interest. She asked, What actually is the He Clans jade annulus?

It was the very first time that this beautiful woman ever asked him anything. Song Shidao was secretly very happy; he gladly explained, According to our Song Family legend from the ancient times, this piece of jade is a magical stone that came from the world of the immortals; it contains a world-shattering secret, only nobody knows what the secret is.

Xu Ziling was curious, So in whose hand is the He Clans jade annulus now? he asked.

Liu Jing laughed and said, Legend has it that by the time of Emperor Shao[6] of the end of Han Dynasty, He Clans jade annulus was lost. By the time of the Three Kingdoms [220-280AD], the governor of Changhe [lit. long river, not sure if it is a province name; cant find it in the list of provinces of modern China] Sun Jian[7] was patrolling inside Luoyang[8] city walls, suddenly he saw rays of light radiated all around from a water well. He ordered his men to investigate, and they dredged up the corpse of an imperial concubine. There was a red box hanging from her neck, when they opened it, it was precisely the He Clans jade annulus. When Sun Jian went to war and died, the He Clans jade annulus fell into Cao Caos[9] hand, which he then passed on to his later generations. Until the Sui [dynasty] exterminated the Southern Chen [557-589], Yang Jian searched everywhere in the Chen Palace, but he failed to find the He Clans jade annulus that was supposedly among the treasures hidden by the Chen Lord. This has been a matter for regret for Yang Jian in all his life.

Fu Junchuo could not resist asking, Gentlemen, why did you suddenly bring up this He Clans jade annulus matter?

Song Shidaos countenance changed, Apparently although Miss is in Jianghu, you did not quite know what major event is happening in Jianghu.

Stroking his beard, Song Lu said, He Clans jade annulus, Yang Gongs [Duke Yang, see Chapter 1] treasure-trove, the two are actually one, they can pacify the world [again tian xia, i.e. China]. Right now fire beacons are everywhere, everybody wants to be the worlds emperor. So the people under the heavens are vying to obtain these two things. Recently there is a rumor in Jianghu that He Clans jade annulus has appeared in Luoyang, hence people who think that they have some ability are rushing to Luoyang to try their luck. In this trip, after delivering the goods to Sichuan, we may make a trip to Luoyang to see what will the Song Familys destiny be.

This Song Lus demeanor was extremely elegant, no matter how big he talked, he always made the listeners feel comfortable.

Kou Zhongs eye lit up; he said, Whoever obtain the He Clans jade annulus may obtain the world. Ha! Xiao Ling and I will also go to try our luck.

Fu Junchuos eyes flashed with cold light; staring hard at Kou Zhong, she said, Do you think you, these two little demons fit to do that? I definitely wont allow you to go to Luoyang. If you keep indulging yourselves in wild fantasy, later on I will not I will not pay any more attention you.

She was going to say I will no teach you the secret method, but at the last moment she corrected herself. Naturally the power of her threat was greatly diminished.

Song Lu was still unclear of the relationship among these three people, but although Fu Junchuo was using harsh words, it was clear that she showed concern toward these two free-spirited boys.

Song Shidao warmly said, Miss Fu is right. It would be wise not to take advantage of this excitement, especially because the He Clans jade annulus involves the most mysterious sect in Wulin. This sect sends out their people every so often to enter the world to practice their religion; they are becoming more unpredictably mysterious.

What sect is that? Fu Junchuo asked in amazement.

Miss Fu is asking the right people, Song Lu replied, If you asked other people, there is a good chance that they have not even heard about it.

Kou Zhong and Xu Zilings interest was greatly piqued; they were listening attentively.

Song Shidao said, This sect is called Ci Hang Jing Zhai [ci compassionate/merciful, hang boat/ship/to sail/to fly, jing calm/quiet, zhai abstain from meat, wine/give alms, hence it is some kind of religious organization; I checked xlandhenrys translation and he/she uses monastery]. For the last several hundred years, it has an unsurpassed status among the black/mysterious organizations; but those who know the Jing Zhai location are unwilling to reveal anything pertaining to this Sect. Therefore, although because of He Clans jade annulus we conducted open enquiries and secret searches on this Jing Zhai, what we know is not too much. We only know that the practitioners of this heavenly law are women. It was said that one time the number one martial art expert of the Taoist sect, Shan Zhenren [see Chapter 6] Ning Daoqi went up the Jing Zhai to look for the presiding master to discuss martial art. Surprisingly, the presiding master of the Jing Zhai let him look at their treasured book, Ci Hang Sword Canon. Before Ning Daoqi finished reading, he already vomited blood and was injured; in the end he retreated from this awkward situation. Not many people know about this, hence it is not spread in Jianghu.

Kou Zhong slapped Xu Zilings shoulder and said with a sigh, Now that is the real secret manual!

Among those people, naturally only Xu Ziling and Fu Junchuo knew what he was talking about.

Song Lu sighed and said, There are people beyond people, there are skies above the sky. The more we learn, the more we realize how minuscule our knowledge is; then we wont dare to rely on force to go on the rampage anymore.

Delighted, Xu Ziling said sincerely, Song Daye [big master, as in master-servant relationship] is indeed a great man. In Yangzhou, he was used to call other people Daye, hence he automatically used that appellation.

Song Lu laughed and said, Two Xiao Xiongdis basis and bones are extremely good. If I came across you a few years earlier, the Ol Song will definitely let you get away.

Kou Zhong and Xu Zilings countenances changed, their hearts sank. Their Niang has told them that, and now Song Lu said the same thing; apparently they could forget being martial art experts in this lifetime.

[5] Chu, a kingdom during the Spring and Autumn and Warring States Periods (722-221 BC).

[6] Emperor Shao of Han (176190) (other name King of Hongnong), was briefly an emperor of China during the Han dynasty; his name literally means young emperor (of Han), a name which he shares with several other emperors with brief reigns. He came to power in 189 and was deposed and then poisoned by Dong Zhuo in 190.

[7] Sun Jian (155-191), famous general at end of Han dynasty, forerunner of the southern kingdom of Wu of the Three Kingdoms.

[8] Luoyang, a prefecture level city in Henan, old capital from pre-Han times.

[9] Cao Cao (155-220), famous statesman and general at the end of Han, noted poet and calligrapher, later warlord, founder and first king of Cao Wei, father of Emperor Cao Pi; he was also the main villain of novel the Romance of Three Kingdoms.

Thanks foxs

Thanks, foxs.

Just caught-up with the story.

Is the Song Clan in this story will become the founder of the Song Dynasty later? Just wondering.

Again, thanks foxs for embarking on a new journey with a new author and we'll glide along with you happily, eagerly and enthusiastically, and hopefully, til the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayariyin View Post
    Thanks, foxs.

Just caught-up with the story.

Is the Song Clan in this story will become the founder of the Song Dynasty later? Just wondering.

Again, thanks foxs for embarking on a new journey with a new author and we'll glide along with you happily, eagerly and enthusiastically, and hopefully, til the end.
    The surname of the founding family of the Song dynasty is Zhao.