Page 63 of 358 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 7159

Thread: 大唐双龙传 [Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan] by Huang Yi

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Because it was a blisteringly hot day, Xu Ziling went to have a dip in the creek. When he returned to the grave, he saw Kou Zhong unexpectedly took the book Secret to Long Life that was hidden underneath the tombstone out, and was reading it with rapt attention; he could not refrain from glaring at him. After all, if not for this Secret to Long Life, Fu Junchuo would not have died under Yuwen Huajis hands.

Kou Zhong beckoned him to come over. Dont get angry at me, he said, I am simply following Niangs order, we must keep on living. Although these human figures are not any divine skill training method, at the very least it is a training instruction to prolong life. Although we cant figure out these ghost hunting-like characters on the drawings, we can at least follow the dotted lines on the diagrams to circulate our qi, according to the theory Niang taught us, and the positions of the channels and acupoints. If we can reap a bit of benefit, then we wont have to freeze to death.

When Xu Ziling was about to argue, Kou Zhong suddenly threw the book to his face as if it was an ordinary, worthless book. Naturally Xu Ziling caught it. The opened page happened to show a picture of a human lying down. When he looked at the drawing in the past, because he did not know the Eight Extraordinary Channels, it was as if he was looking at a meaningless drawing. But as he looked at it now, he suddenly understood it much better. Unexpectedly his eyes were glued to the diagram, and he was deeply attracted to it.

Kou Zhong shouted, The sixth diagram is the most useful. It is best if you dont look at other pictures first.

Xu Ziling turned the pages, and found out that the picture he was looking at was the last diagram. Looking at the sixth picture, it did not seem to be any easier than the seventh diagram, so he simply ignored Kou Zhong and sat down to study the last diagram.

From that day onwards, other than hunting and sleeping, the two boys sat in meditation to practice following the diagram that they picked, living carefree without any worries in nature, thoroughly lived a primitive life.

Perhaps due to their single-mindedness in studying, the sorrow in their hearts was also vanishing with each passing day. Without even thinking about it, they have entered the ten-thousand thoughts reduction realm that was the requirement in the Nine Mysteries training...
    I've not time to re-read thoroughly around (and following on from) Book 1 - Chapter 8, what I gathered during initial reading was that Kou & Xu didn't know what diagram was associated with Yin/Yang qi (thus can only be attracted because of Huang Yi's divine design/conceit).

And I'll re-phrase my earlier notion, can (and do) people pigeonhole one another as Yang or Yin ? If so on what grounds/qualifications (since qi doesn't seem to be defining) ?
    Last edited by 徐中銳; 07-08-15 at 12:42 AM.
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Thanks foxs

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs

Back from a trip and so many exciting chapters to catch up ... what a power up for these two heroes.... thks foxs.

Hi Xu,

Both Kou and Xu attacted because they find feeling in one of the seven pictures, they don't understand the word of the book.
    Kou fall for the Li girl, did he know exactly why?, could it be his heart or his hormone? He is just in the beginning of his trip from boy to manhood, things happen without clear conscious, (unless of course to master of meditation/zen/chan). He may or may not try to figure it out.

Kou don't even know he is the yang type. Huang Yi did not told him, but Huang put down hints for readers to find out.

Before Kou want to be emperor, he already fall for Li the daughter of high clan, and now he keep pump into Soong, another daughter of high clan, is it in his sub-conscious, he is fond of noble elegant high class woman, is this the social status that add on the woman. who knows.

I just noticed that the terrible teacher sent a spur dig a Xu about "hand touching" and he went to ramble on about his brothers plans for her, it was just the way the spur dig was phrased that made me think she wants to wedge them apart a bit, not going to happen from something like that but still she shows intent. I know this part shows the boys maturing, and their thoughts on the future ... Xu staying away from places like the palace and Kou wanting one of his own, that is the only real split in their difference I see. Though I know Xu will stick it out for his brother finding time to have what he wants as a refuge for them, I just don't know how long it will take and so on as this is just hypothetical based off of what I read up till now and the capture of their personalities that has been shown.

Thanks foxs

They were in a cabin, which the Li guy arranged for them. In the next room over was precisely the Li Clans beauty Li Xiuning, the Li guys captivating younger sister.

Xu Ziling walked over to where Kou Zhong was standing. Kou Zhong sighed and said, Xiao Ling! I found a sweetheart!

What? Xu Zilings voice broke.

Dont you think Li guys little sister is very beautiful? Kou Zhong whispered, She is easy-mannered and gentle, those eyes are pretty and charming, her breasts are exquisite floating protrusions, her legs, ay! They could lead men to their death. Her cheeks rosy, I am sure those are the cutest cheeks on earth. Her skin soft and smooth like satin brocade, white and pink. Heavens! If I can embrace her naked body every night to bed, I wont think of anything else; because what on earth could be more satisfying than that? When she speaks, her voice and her facial expression make me drunk, and when she occasionally smiles sweetly, and casting your Niang a sidelong glance, Xiao Ling! I am going to die of love.

Xu Ziling grabbed his shoulder and laughed until he was out of breath. Do you call that love? he asked, You, this muddled-egg, are just lusting over her. And then he wondered aloud, Didnt you say that the more women we have the better? Why is it this time only she one person is enough?

Kou Zhong said in distress, Can you not dig up my old scores? When I said those things, I did not even have half a girlfriend, hence I said all those heroic things to console myself. But now I have her, naturally I have to concentrate only on one aspiration. Do you understand?

Xu Ziling changed into wrapping his arm around Kou Zhongs broad shoulders and said in amazement, Looks like you are serious.

Of course I am serious, Kou Zhong indignantly said, Right now Li guy is rushing to Taiyuan to force his old man to revolt. Based on Li Clans prestige, with Taiyuan as their base of operation, plus with elite soldiers and ample provisions, there is a good chance that he will become the emperor. Since we are going to join a militia anyway, why not rely on that Li guy? Since we have rendered great merit to him, the official position that Li guy is going to bestow us must not be too low.

Xu Ziling stared blankly for half a day, and then he said in low voice, Is your heart not dead toward his mothers militia? It would be better for us to concentrate on salt-trafficking business and make money while the world is in chaos. If we have money we can help the people; wouldnt it be better than fighting for life and death for other people?

Kou Zhong smiled apologetically and said, Times have changed too. Hey! Just look at that Li guys righteous manners; how can you compare him to Du Fuwei, Li Mi, those half man half ghost fellows?

With a bitter laugh Xu Ziling said, Lets not talk about this right now. At the end of the day, you only want to get close to Li Xiuning. Dont blame me for pouring iced water on your keen interest. Although on the surface this noble familys girl treats us politely, I always feel that she kind of turn us down from a thousand li away. A girl who was born from this kind of respected family like her will always look down on little marketplace ruffians like the two of us.

This time Kou Zhong wrapped his arm around Xu Zilings shoulders and said with a giggle, The first time people meet, of course they are strangers to each other; are you saying that she needs to keep you within a chi of her? There is nothing impossible in this world. To pursue a girl we only need a bit of creativity and smoothness...
    Above was what Huang Yi wrote...

Quote Originally Posted by akolaw View Post
    Kou don't even know he is the yang type. Huang Yi did not told him, but Huang put down hints for readers to find out.
    I'm not at all convinced about Yin or Yang stereotyping of a (fictional or not) character's innateness/personality. Another fictional example, would you call monomaniacal Captain Ahab Yang to Moby Dick's Yin nature ?

Kou and Xu are what they are (from where the translation is up to), of ambitions, the former wants to be an emperor, the latter, recluse with godly martial arts. Why not emperor as a Yin trait and grandmaster hermit, Yang ? Going by your classification, are all politicians and CEOs Yang whereas Greenpeace, PETA and the like are Yin ?

And what if at the end of this story Kou himself gives up on hegemony for peaceful seclusion ? Is he then a Yin type ?

Let's simply reserve Yang and Yin to qi ??
    Last edited by 徐中銳; 07-08-15 at 06:11 PM.
    I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. 弗拉基米爾弗拉基米羅維奇納博科夫

Quote Originally Posted by akolaw View Post
    In Kou and Xu's case, Kou is Yang and his core essence is True Yin, that is why he is attract by the Yin picture and practice Yin true qi, and Xu is Yin , and therefore practice Yang true qi.

And of course Kou and Xu complement each other as Yin and Yang.
    I like your reasoning.

Thanks foxs.

Quote Originally Posted by Laoren View Post
    reasoning
    Well, with reason, here's another sourced from Wikipedia of the Taijitu, (Traditional Chinese: 太極圖; Simplified Chinese: 太极图; Pinyin: tijt; Wade-Giles: t'ai⁴chit'u; rough English translation: diagram of supreme ultimate) is a Chinese symbol for the concept of yin and yang (Taiji).

In the taijitu, the circle itself represents a whole (see wuji), while the black and white areas within it represent interacting parts or manifestations of the whole. The white area represents yang elements, and is generally depicted as rising on the left, while the dark (yin) area is shown descending on the right (though other arrangements exist, most notably the version used on the flag of South Korea). The image is designed to give the appearance of movement. Each area also contains a large dot of a differing color at its fullest point (near the zenith and nadir of the figure) to indicate how each will transform into the other.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://yogagoddess.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/yin-yang.jpg')

How many rounds will Kou & Xu move (and move again [and again...]) throughout Huang Yi's story ?
    Last edited by 徐中銳; 07-09-15 at 05:04 AM.

According to Tai Chi Classic, (An Explanation to theory of Tai Chi Quan) Static is the moment of Tai Chi, when there is a move there is Yin Yang. It is like a push pull situation.

In Martial Art Yin or Yang art can both be deadly. Have you see the Grand Masters , a recent Wong Kar Wai movie, zhang ziyi fight with her class mate, she use Ba Que Zhang( a Yin style iternal martial art) and her class mate Ma San use Xing Yi (a Yang Style martial art)

Kou and Xu practice different diagram, which shows different channel, It is the different channel that generate different qi, So the Channel is the key to their Yin or Yang practice, and the qi is the product.

We now know that our hormone can turn individual tobe more aggressive or less aggressive, and this practice is fine tuning our internal system, and how untrue is it that it affact an individual's character. A action oriented person is always on the go, he properbly drive fast, but he also step hard on his brake, when he step on the brake, he is still a Yang MAJOR personality.

Character can change too.

Lord Buddha said With our thought, follow our action, with our action follow habit, with our habit follow our character, with our character follow our fate. (I recall these from memory, probably not exact wording) So if we change what we think consistently, with chain reaction, change our character.

As what if Kou give up,

I don't want to give out spoiler, Read the title of the book.

No one is completely Yin type or Yang type, because for every Yin there is true yang within and for every Yang there is true Yin with in. So every one have Yin and Yang within oneself.

Yin Yang is the Chinese view that explain the issue. Take current stock market for example, when the market rise, this is Yang (Expansion), and the expansion consist Bubble in it (True Yin) that will led to future collapse(Change to Yin), When the market collapse(Yin), the market consolidate (True Yang) that will led to rebound (Change to Yang).

Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling looked at each other in dismay...
    Talk of Kou Yang Yin, later possibly Yin Yin; or Xu, Yin Yang possibility of Yang Yang... can become as rivetingly relevant as Eugene studying eugenics ?!

What I've referred to in previous Posts are somewhat sufficient ; let's move forward with M.C. Escher's Sky and Water I :
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://uploads5.wikiart.org/images/m-c-escher/sky-and-water-i.jpg')
    Last edited by 徐中銳; 07-09-15 at 07:32 PM.

Default Book 6 - Chapter 3, Part 2

Sky, not much excitement yet. Xu Xiong, Akolaw, interesting discussion, forgive me for not joining in, since I do not have enough knowledge about the yin-yang concept. Ysabel, Jaya, Anh, HPC, you are welcome. DongBin, welcome back, long time no see ... George, but I think it was Kou Zhong who did not tell Xu Ziling the truth, so IMHO, not Yun Yuzhen's fault. Lao Qianbei, I agree with you, interesting ... Xu Xiong, I remember that picture was used to depict the boundary layer theory (fluid mechanics). I will post the rest of Chapter 3 tomorrow.

Fei Yun, who was leading the way, suddenly lowered his voice. The two boys quickly focused their power to listen, immediately they were able to hear every single word. He said, In one day we received three emergency dispatches from Luoyang. Wang Shichong is really shameful; did he want us to lose our heads? I burned all the documents.

There is another headache, Yu Shiji said, Just now the Imperial Guard Commander Sima Dekan ignored me when I tried to stop him, he forced himself into the Wangjiang Tai to see His Highness, reporting something about someone exploiting the Imperial Guard army provisions, that the soldiers dont have enough to eat and are hungry. And most of them came from Guanzhong, they knew that the Li Clan is raising an army to rebel, so they worried that their hometown is in trouble; batch by batch they ran away from Jiangdu, so he wanted His Mahesty to issue an imperial decree to pacify the heart of the people.

Fei Yun laughed and said, Fortunately the person who exploited the army provisions is His Highness himself, we are simply carrying out his order, so he cannot put the blame on us. Hee hee did His Highness have Sima Dekan, that fellow who showed no understanding of the times, flogged?

Yu Shiji replied, I dont know if His Holiness has changed from his excessive stubbornness? Or perhaps he knew that the Imperial Guard Minister General Dou Xian has also led his troops to flee, so he clearly knew that the situation is serious. He only ordered Sima Dekan to immediately pursue Dou Xian and have him come back here, or else he will have to present his own head. I really wish Dou Xian could go a little faster!

Meanwhile they had reached the steps leading to the Wangjiang Tai. Yu and Fei, two men stopped talking. Listening to them, Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling behind them were aghast. Yang Guang definitely was a muddleheaded ruler, otherwise how could he let treacherous court officials like Yu Shiji and Fei Yun emerge?

Citizen Kou Zhong, Xu Ziling have arrived! The herald at the gate announced as the two boys followed Yu Shiji and Fei Yun toward the stone steps leading to Yang Guangs dragon throne. They kneeled three times and kowtowed nine times [my dictionary has this additional information: formal etiquette on meeting the emperor]. After the ritual was performed, the herald announced again, You may rise!

The two boys followed Yu Shiji and Fei Yun stood up, and focused their attention to look. Immediately they were taken aback.

They saw the twenty-zhang wide dragon platform was packed with beautiful imperial concubines; there were at least fifty, sixty women, like the starts cupping themselves around the moon [idiom from Analects], surrounding the elevated dragon throne, busy feeding fruits to the Great Sui Emperor Yang Guang.

Dugu Sheng stood erect with straight face under the platform, leading the Imperial Guards standing around the platform, separating Yang Guang from Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling.

After stroking an imperial concubines breasts by his side, Yang Guang looked down the platform. As if he did not see Kou Zhong and Xu Ziling at all, he looked at Fei Yun and said with a laugh, Fei Qingjia [term used by the emperor for his subjects] is here, quickly help Zhen [an emperor referring to himself] solve this problem.

Yun Shiji bowed and laughed to flatter him, Your Highness, these two

Zhen knows, Yang Guang impatiently cut him off, Other matter can wait.

Under the illumination of the palace lantern, Yang Guangs countenance looked worse than Xiang Yushan before his illness was cured; he was so pale that he looked like a dead person. His age looked to be only around fifty, his head and shoulders stood tall; although he was wearing bright-colored nine-dragon gown, with a tall crown on his head, he gave a depressing impression of a dead person wearing burial clothes.

Anybody could see that his destiny already nearing its end, his days were numbered.

Fei Yun hastily said, Your Highness, please reveal it to us!

Yang Guang sighed and said, Zhen really dont understand, whats not good in Jiangdu? To the south facing the Great River, undulating hills, pleasant scenery, since ancient times has been number one scenic spot in Jiang Huai; yet troops are running away these days, even Dou Xian has personally fled. Qingjia, what do you think is the reason?

This time even Fei Yun and Yun Shiji were left speechless, other people need not be mentioned; they were quiet out of fear, afraid that they might incur unexpected calamity.

Fei Yun could not but respond; clearing his throat, he said, There must be some people spreading rumors, instigating the morale of the troops. Weichen [this small official] must investigate clearly, and then report to Your Highness.

Yang Guang let out a cold laugh and said, Who could instigate the morale of Zhens troops? Zhen has fought to the south and attacked to the north, pacifying the land under the heavens, three times went on military campaign to Gaoli [Korea], my military power unrivalled, admired by officers and soldiers. Zhen really cannot believe they would believe idle talk. Quickly investigate this matter thoroughly.

Kou Zhong could not refrain from nudging Xu Ziling with his elbow, while putting up a I dont want to hear the truth expression on his face.

Although Yang Guang did not seem to look at him, unexpectedly he saw that; angrily he shouted, Why is that little ones expression so strange? He has the audacity of being disrespectful to Zhen.

Fei Yun and Yu Shijis soul flew away and scattered, afraid that before these two witnesses could testify, Yang Guang already had their heads chopped.

Kou Zhong secretly signaled Xu Ziling, ready to break out the siege and flee for their lives, to create a gap they could exploit to get out. This moment he did not even want to kowtow; he said with a giggle, Most probably it was because Your Highness is too profound that you are able to think that deep. We are only simple ant people, naturally our thought process is also a lot simpler. Just a moment ago Xiaomin [small/lowly citizen] was not able to penetrate Your Highness enigmatic thought, thats why I knitted my little face.

Everybody cried out inwardly, Yang Guang hated it very much when people used sarcasm against him; this time Kou Zhong was really courting death.

Under these circumstances, Zhu Guier, who was serving Yang Guang eating fruits by his side, also did not dare to speak up to help Kou Zhong.

Dugu Sheng sighed inwardly; if he had to personally behead these two boys, he really did not know how to explain it to the Baling Bang people.

Everybody waited with bated breath; sure enough, Yang Guangs countenance sank and he said coldly, What profound or simple? Kid, what is exactly your point?

Kou Zhong remained calm, while quietly gathered his mysterious power; he said indifferently, What kid was thinking was that if everybody is able to think like Your Highness, supporting the left and holding on to the right, yet they still want to desert the army, then they are not real men.

At this point, no one did not consider Kou Zhong to be a criminal on the death row, because what he did was exactly what he should not do in front of Yang Guang, i.e. telling the truth.

Yang Guang was startled; and then he slapped the arm of his dragon throne and laughed so hard that his body swayed back and forth. Like speaking to a child, he said, That is indeed simple! That is indeed simple!

Everybodys heart went up and down following the sound of his laughter, because he loved laughing madly before killing someone.

Xu Ziling nodded slightly to Kou Zhong, reminded him to be ready to slip away any moment.

The laughter suddenly stopped.

Yang Guang coughed twice, while allowing Zhu Guier and Madame Xiao to wipe the tears on the corner of his eye. When they were done, he looked down at Kou Zhong and said, As the Emperor, Zhen is buried in ten thousand affairs every day, so that my brain is a bit slow, causing damage to the country and suffering to the people. This time you, kid, spoke out the root cause, Zhen immediately think of countermeasures. Guards!

All the imperial concubines were laughing and giggling tenderly to flatter him.

Dugu Sheng was still thinking that his fear finally happened; bowing down, he responded, Dugu Sheng is here!

Yang Guang was stunned, This matter cannot be done by Qingjia. Guards!

Everybody looked at each other; they did not understand, whether in the imperial court or in Jianghu, Dugu Sheng had a resounding prestige, why was he not qualified to do such a simple thing as putting these two boys to death?

Fei Yun and Yu Shiji braced themselves and responded in chorus, Your Highness, please reveal your wish!

Yang Guang cheerfully said, Immediately go around the surrounding area and collect all widows, unmarried women, even Buddhist nuns and Taoist priestess, anybody who is fit to accompany Zhens troops, to boost the morale of the troops.

Kou Zhong and Xu Zilings countenance immediately changed; was he going to kill a lot of people?

Who would have thought that Fei Yun and Yu Shiji immediately clapped and cheered, lauding the brilliance of the Sages idea. Amidst the roar of applause, Yang Guang smiled proudly while twisting the tip of his beard; his Sages heart was greatly comforted.

Xu Ziling could not help shouting, Your Highness!

Yang Guang let out a cold snort, Enough! he barked, Today Zhen have spent too much time dealing with national affairs, you are all dismissed!

The herald at the door shouted, Courts dismissed!

Thank heavens and thank the earth, Yu Shiji muttered under his breath. Together with Fei Yun, they dragged Kou and Xu, two boys, out of the Palace.

Leaving the Wangjiang Tai, Kou Zhong broke free from Yu Shijis grab and said, We have not said anything about our business, how can we leave?

Wiping the cold sweats on his brow, Fei Yun angrily said, We almost get killed because of you, this slave who spoke recklessly. Humph!

Kou Zhongs eyes shot a cold ray, What did you call me? he said.

Fei Yun was agitated; he nearly flew into rage, but Yu Shiji interrupted him, We are on the same side, whats passed in passed, why do we have to argue about it?

Turning to Kou Zhong, he said, Your head is still on your neck, just consider yourself lucky, do you still have to blab around and show off? Right now let this official make arrangement for you to rest, Ill pick several palace maids who are pretty and considerate to serve you. When the time is right, well arrange for you two to have an audience with the Emperor.

Xu Ziling deeply detested these two big treacherous court officials, he said grimly, Just with that one account book plus two gentlemen with silver tongue it is enough to kill Yuwen Huaji, even if we stayed here, there wont be any good; we have decided to leave.

Fei Yun was still glowering at Kou Zhong, as if he wanted to eat him alive. But just looking at his belly, he probably could eat at least half of Kou Zhong.

Thanks, foxs.