Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Results 661 to 680 of 724

Thread: Stellar Transformation [星辰变 ] Continuation (Aequitas' Translation)

  1. #661
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,580

    Default

    I was one of the people who criticized Qin Yu, and it seems like the majority of people who defended him were of the opinion that it's just accepted in this genre. These stories are clearly very addicting though so no need to change what's working I guess.

    It's not just the main characters who are douchey though, it's pretty much every character treating anyone weaker than them like trash that gets old sometimes.

    Xianxia is a relatively new genre (correct me if I'm wrong) and targeting teens, so it'll probably be a while before some talented writer mixes elements of this with the more classical elements.
    Last edited by tape; 03-31-15 at 01:15 AM.

  2. #662
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Coiling Dragon is the Prequel and morality is subjective.

  3. #663
    Member Aequitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    90

    Default

    So, I will be at the UCLA Hackathon this weekend... Chapter 34 is already done... but I'm slacking due to 2 presentations, 2 papers, and a midterm coming in the next 2 weeks. Sorry friends. If I can, I will try my best to get 33 to you guys asap.

    Edit: I guess if you're going to be at LA Hacks, we can hang out xD
    Back to being a leecher.

  4. #664
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I was one of the people who criticized Qin Yu, and it seems like the majority of people who defended him were of the opinion that it's just accepted in this genre. These stories are clearly very addicting though so no need to change what's working I guess.

    It's not just the main characters who are douchey though, it's pretty much every character treating anyone weaker than them like trash that gets old sometimes.

    Xianxia is a relatively new genre (correct me if I'm wrong) and targeting teens, so it'll probably be a while before some talented writer mixes elements of this with the more classical elements.
    I think Xianxia is actually older than wuxia. China has a lot of Xianxia stories, Sun Wu Kong, Nu Wa, Guan Yin, Legend of 8 Immortals, White Snake Legend, etc.

  5. #665
    Senior Member whiteskwirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dexter64 View Post
    I think Xianxia is actually older than wuxia. China has a lot of Xianxia stories, Sun Wu Kong, Nu Wa, Guan Yin, Legend of 8 Immortals, White Snake Legend, etc.
    Xianxia as an actual named genre is pretty new, but yeah there are older stories with fantasy elements in them. Doesn't mean they're "xianxia". If you go by that then wuxia goes all the way back to Sima Qian's history book when he talks about the wandering xia and the assassin-retainers, and then probably the first fictional Chinese story, "Prince Dan of Yan", probably written sometime around the Six Dynasties period. But that's not really wuxia. Wuxia as a named genre is more recent, late 1800s.

  6. #666
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I was one of the people who criticized Qin Yu, and it seems like the majority of people who defended him were of the opinion that it's just accepted in this genre. These stories are clearly very addicting though so no need to change what's working I guess.

    It's not just the main characters who are douchey though, it's pretty much every character treating anyone weaker than them like trash that gets old sometimes.

    Xianxia is a relatively new genre (correct me if I'm wrong) and targeting teens, so it'll probably be a while before some talented writer mixes elements of this with the more classical elements.
    I think it's also the supposed time period. Like in A Step Into The Past, the protagonist often comments on how cheap human lives are worth but slips into the habit as everyone else and doesn't care about collateral damage.

  7. #667
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    can anyone give me the link for the raw stellar transformation

  8. #668
    Senior Member Sanngrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eris
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manga752 View Post
    Coiling Dragon is the Prequel and morality is subjective.
    prequel to what? ST? It's not btw
    Ships:CD Linley x Delia, AMO Yi Ping x Yixian, HalkO Midori x Asuna

    My Fic

  9. #669
    Senior Member Bludflag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    204

    Default

    That really depends on how you look at it.At the end of both books you will see what the connection between the two is(rather tight but only at the end,like wtf author?).Or so I`ve been told by some people(this is only a reference for some of the "geniuses" on this forum).

  10. #670
    Senior Member Sanngrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eris
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bludflag View Post
    That really depends on how you look at it.At the end of both books you will see what the connection between the two is(rather tight but only at the end,like wtf author?).Or so I`ve been told by some people(this is only a reference for some of the "geniuses" on this forum).

    the author may or may not choose to put in a line or two that act's as crossing boundaries. some authors have dragged miniature clones of a popular character from one of their other series and dropped it into the one they are currently writing. but it doesn't explicitly mean that the stories are connected in any way.

    some of the following could be considered spoiler-ish:
    click to show/hide spoilers
    CD uses a power hierarchy that is completely different to ST, and in ST that hierarchy is meant to encompass all of space while in CD the hierarchy encompasses all of the many different planes/realms which are of fixed sizes respectively. the only way I could see being a possible connection between the stories (not just having seen a name reused...) is if 1 of the 3 specific individuals at the end of ST were responsible for the CD structure to exist


    the only person who really has the right to declare that "this IS that" as fact is IET himself( see trope: word of god). and I haven't yet seen someone ask him directly and post a screen shot of the received response declaring if it is or not in fact connected, or he just pulled another author joke that is characters where they don't belong.

    if the argument becomes "depends on how you look at it" it's not a connection between stories, it's a suspicion of connection that requires being looked at from 1 specific direction ignoring all the other angles that exist.
    Ships:CD Linley x Delia, AMO Yi Ping x Yixian, HalkO Midori x Asuna

    My Fic

  11. #671
    Senior Member Bludflag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    204

    Default

    From what I understood of the spoilers(the grammar, *shudders*) your argument is close, but not fully correct(1 mistake made, did you read the spoilers or something?).

    Spoiler removed because it is literally the end of CD, which would be a dick move from me to put here only to win an argument :/
    Nicely worded, your arguments were(except that you always somehow either come off as aggressive or a bastard in my mind, don`t know why)
    And yes, I know of the trope(but still nice of you to refer to it).
    Last edited by Bludflag; 04-04-15 at 09:58 AM.

  12. #672
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    376

    Default

    If people talks about QinYu, I see his growth in Divine Arc. Less people die in Divine Arc.

    But that my opinion anyways. That is why I love him.

  13. #673
    Senior Member Sanngrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eris
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bludflag View Post
    From what I understood of the spoilers(the grammar, *shudders*) your argument is close, but not fully correct(1 mistake made, did you read the spoilers or something?).

    Spoiler removed because it is literally the end of CD, which would be a dick move from me to put here only to win an argument :/
    Nicely worded, your arguments were(except that you always somehow either come off as aggressive or a bastard in my mind, don`t know why)
    And yes, I know of the trope(but still nice of you to refer to it).
    yeah. it's one my 2 weird conditions.

    #1 being that my presence is thinner than that of a ghost and it scares people sh*tless when i "suddenly" appear next to them and say something, even though I had been there a while and had no intention of hiding myself.

    and

    #2 all my arguments make me sound like and a**hole lol. and my truly a**hole-y posts end up sounding strangely cold and logical under stress of a re-read :P (got back a ton of money from apple iTunes this way when I raged and sent in a complaint after getting hacked and someone spending over £50 of my account balance on crap)

    I didn't read spoilers so much as ask a friend for loose translations. mistakes are highly possible and even probable, usually i have to use such details in an argument to ask that people who know more about the "post-translated stuff" to not post detailed spoilers or make "connected world/stories" comments in front of people who can't accurately argue otherwise.

    as for the trope... i was rather upset that was the only one I could name xD i spent AGES trying to find the trope of "characters where they don't belong, across books made by the same author" it's been done enough to warrant one, but I don't have the capability of finding the best trope to name it xD

    edit: Grammar... I try xD I at least try to avoid all the obvious grammar problems, but it doesn't guarantee me success often enough haha
    Last edited by Sanngrior; 04-05-15 at 03:35 AM.
    Ships:CD Linley x Delia, AMO Yi Ping x Yixian, HalkO Midori x Asuna

    My Fic

  14. #674
    Senior Member Bludflag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Your grammar seems to be fine to me. I was talking about the guys who made the spoilers(they lost their grammar to the monster known as Google translate). I very much like your thought process here, finding multiple examples of a point you try to prove correct(I try as well, but it is sometimes hard, isn`t it?). Removed spoiler because I thought of it as highly subjective to interpretation(but then again, how could somebody mess up a whole chapter?).

  15. #675
    Senior Member Sanngrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eris
    Posts
    287

    Default

    hmm messing up a chapter... they can do it surprisingly easy it seems xD

    finding many supporting points for an argument isn't hard, grew up in a family that was relatively strong at debating things. my mom who was essentially unbeatable in an argument lost to me once so I was satisfied. the hard part is getting all the supporting parts and not loop my writing back in a circle. if I have to write a long piece for an essay or report I have a problem where I seem to start repeating myself haha.
    Ships:CD Linley x Delia, AMO Yi Ping x Yixian, HalkO Midori x Asuna

    My Fic

  16. #676
    Senior Member Bludflag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanngrior View Post
    hmm messing up a chapter... they can do it surprisingly easy it seems xD

    finding many supporting points for an argument isn't hard, grew up in a family that was relatively strong at debating things. my mom who was essentially unbeatable in an argument lost to me once so I was satisfied. the hard part is getting all the supporting parts and not loop my writing back in a circle. if I have to write a long piece for an essay or report I have a problem where I seem to start repeating myself haha.
    +2 in argument skills :hue:

  17. #677
    Junior Member alecb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanngrior View Post
    some of the following could be considered spoiler-ish:
    click to show/hide spoilers
    CD uses a power hierarchy that is completely different to ST, and in ST that hierarchy is meant to encompass all of space while in CD the hierarchy encompasses all of the many different planes/realms which are of fixed sizes respectively. the only way I could see being a possible connection between the stories (not just having seen a name reused...) is if 1 of the 3 specific individuals at the end of ST were responsible for the CD structure to exist
    About the differences in hierarchy, I think there is a misunderstanding somewhere.
    Firts of all, I have only read translations, just like the vast majority of you guys I think.
    Therefore, the words used by RWX are not the same that those used by He Man, Aequitas, and all the other translators of ST.

    Then, the construction of the "universes" are not the same.

    You said that in CD the hierarchy was the same in all the different planes/realms. But in CD the different planes/realms are a lot smaller than in ST.

    In CD, I don't think that the universe is built like the one we live in. For exemple, the wolrld of the yulan continent isn't a planet but just a plane surface with a land in the middle of watter, and then the end of the world(the cosmos but as an undefinite thing, not the universe)
    In ST, the "worlds" are contructed like in our own universe in the sens that there is a universe with stars and galaxys and planets and everything and there are juste 2 realms: mortal and immortal.

    I hope that the way I write isn't too weird, english isn't my native language

  18. #678
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default

    This is semi-spoilerish, but in CD you find out that there used to be other continents, but they were destroyed during the war, so I assume that it actually is a planet.

  19. #679
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,451

    Default

    While we're on the topic of ST/CD comparisons is there any generally agreed upon mapping of ST to CD power levels (without going beyond the levels mentioned so far in the respective translations)?
    Reverend Rongku prepared himself.

    Suddenly, he toss his hands and screamed: "I am not human! I am an animal!"

    The crowd startled at such a bizarre beginning to the story.

  20. #680
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,580

    Default

    Jindan = Saints seems to be the only thing that can be compared...everything else just seems too random. Deity Godrealm seems pretty powerful, but a Yuanying berserk Hou Fei might break through it completely.

    Judging by the rarity of Deities (for humans) though, it might be closer to 8th tribulation+ loose immortals since there's only a handful of Deities but a bunch of the others.

Similar Threads

  1. Gilbert Lam (林韋辰)
    By niniloveko in forum Actors
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 10-09-16, 08:15 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-05-15, 06:58 AM
  3. Stellar Transformations [星辰变] Other Translations
    By sandmann12 in forum Wuxia Translations
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-02-15, 02:40 AM
  4. Replies: 254
    Last Post: 12-18-14, 02:31 PM
  5. Continuation of HSDS?
    By Newbie7 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-28-05, 03:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •