Thread: Possible official translation publication

Default Possible official translation publication

Hey everyone, I have some good news. I've contacted Taiwan wuxia author Qin Hong (秦紅) about translating some of his works, and he is interested. FOr those who don't know who he is, Qin Hong started writing in 1963 with Peerless Sword (無雙劍), followed by Wulin Prison (武林牢), Nine Dragon Lanterns (九龍燈), etc., totaling around 40 or so books altogether. He published from 1963 to 1986.

Qin Hong was one of the pioneers of the "new school" of wuxia in Taiwan, (this group also included Gu Long, who started the change in style with his Legend of the Orphan Star [古星傳] in 1960), and his works feature a lot of humor and satire. In the book: History of Wuxia in Taiwan (台灣武俠小說發展史), the authors stated that Qin Hong's work was well-worth reading, especially the earlier works, and not necessarily inferior to Gu Long.

Anyway, I''m working on putting together a wuxia magazine and I hope to feature one of Qin Hong's short stories or novellas in the first issue. Aside from that, I would also like to translate and publish one of his one-volume novels, leading up to translating and publishing either Nine Dragon Lanterns or Peerless Sword, which are considered two of his best works.

However, nothing is set yet, that is just what I would like to do at the moment. I am meeting with Qin Hong personally this coming Tuesday to discuss it in more detail.

So nothing has been decided yet, just giving a heads up that maybe there will be some official wuxia translations in the future.

I'm real excited about getting to meet one of the top wuxia writers of Taiwan. There's so many questions I want to ask him. I'll let you all know whenever I have something to update.

That sounds awesome. Maybe you could do a little interview with him for us, too?

Sounds quite exciting! Please make the finished work available online, or better yet, make it available on app store so that us smartphone users can conveniently procure it there.

All the best!

Sounds very cool! Good luck with this project!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Sounds very cool! Good luck with this project!
    Whatever happened with the project you were working on with Graham Earnshaw?

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    That sounds awesome. Maybe you could do a little interview with him for us, too?
    I'll see what I can do. Are there any questions you all would like him to answer?

Hmm, unfortunately I have not yet read anything from him but maybe you could ask him about his philosophy regarding writing. How he writes, rituals, his way of writing...

And please give our greetings and best wishes to him!

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    Hmm, unfortunately I have not yet read anything from him but maybe you could ask him about his philosophy regarding writing. How he writes, rituals, his way of writing...

And please give our greetings and best wishes to him!
    I had planned to ask about that anyway because I'm interested. I will tell him.

I also have made contact with people who can put me in contact with the family of Yun Zhongyue (the author himself unfortunately passed away in 2010). I will ask them about translating one of his novels as well.

Exciting news.....hopefully this will lead to the availability of the treasure trove of literature to the rest of the world

Default Official translation is a GO!

Well, I just got back from visiting author Qin Hong. We ate lunch together and then we went back to his house and talked for a bit. The result is there will be a new OFFICIAL wuxia translation. It will be a translation of the novel that made Qin Hong popular, which was also the first novel he wrote: 《無雙劍》, which for the moment at least I am calling Peerless Sword, though the exact title may change.

Qin Hong is a very nice man. At 78 years old his health is failing (bad eyes, ears, knees), but his mind is sharp and he was a joy to talk to. He is so generous: he gave me a copy of the novel I am going to be translating. Here is a picture of it:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/DztdpCi.jpg')

Although Qin Hong is known for writing shorter novels than most authors (because he said he puts special importance on the structure of the plot, so he doesn't like to include needless side-plots just to increase length), this first novel does not follow that rule. As you can see from the picture it is four volumes long, and it comes in at 1200 pages. About the standard size for wuxia novels, though it is one of his longer ones.

More news and info when I have it. At some point I will create an official thread for the novel. Fornow I will answer the best I can any questions you might have about this project here. I will be translating the novel.

Thanks for reading! Yay! New wuxia coming!

That is indeed great to hear!

Sounds really cool!
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

Congratz on the opportunity to meet a wuxia author! Something most of us can only dream of.
    Wishing you the best in this exciting journey!!!

Merry Christmas and may you have an great and adventurous "wuxia" new year!

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Congratz on the opportunity to meet a wuxia author! Something most of us can only dream of.
    Wishing you the best in this exciting journey!!!

Merry Christmas and may you have an great and adventurous "wuxia" new year!
    Merry Christmas to you and everyone else as well!

Congratulations!

Could you give us a short info about what the novel you will translate is about?