Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Help with translation project

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dexter64 View Post
    I think you should translate ST, and start right where he-man left it. No offense for JChen43, but if possible I preferred to read ST in spcnet.tv without having to go to another site.

    I've almost finished reading (by MT) all of I Eat Tomatoes novels (8 novels) and personally I agree with he-man that ST is Tomatoes' best work.
    Whoa...you read 8 machine translated novels...Are u still sane???

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamesmaniac View Post
    Whoa...you read 8 machine translated novels...Are u still sane???
    Fortunately yes, although god knows how many times I was at the brink. Tomatoes has been writing 8 novels, 6 completed, 1 discontinued and 1 still on going. I didn't read the discontinued novel and haven't read 1 of the finished ones.

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dexter64 View Post
    I think you should translate ST, and start right where he-man left it. No offense for JChen43, but if possible I preferred to read ST in spcnet.tv without having to go to another site.
    Now this is a really interesting statement, so first of all is jchen's translation inferior in terms of quality (containing large amounts of machine translated segments)? In your opinion what warrants the retranslation on (I think jchen released 3 chapters) the work jchen have put into ST.

    Tbh, if and when he-man comes back I'm quite sure he will continue translate from where he left off, with "I would like to work and finish this work on my own" that he have stated multiple times if memory serves me. So he will still redo whatever that have been released after his "hiatus", and I don't see any reason why I should retranslate anything as Jchen's translation looks fine to me.

    I'm not saying that your thinking is wrong or right but just curious what went through your mind before you came to that conclusion.

    If the reason is well stated and is holding water I would perhaps even abandon the work I have put into twin dragon so far and work on ST.

    And then the question is if I should start from where he-man left off or where jchen did.

    #Edit: If I'm gonna start on ST if there is not a life and death situation on why I should bother retranslating in the first place if the only reason is because the translation is not on spcnet you would have to ask another translator as I don't have infinite freetime as well. Anyway not being rude but it would warrant some huge reason for retranslating instead for progressing.

    A penny for your thoughts.

    Khaiine
    Last edited by Khaiine; 01-03-15 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Clarification

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    41

    Lightbulb

    To be quite honest, if you want to translate for the sake of progress
    it's most likely the best that you continue where JChen left off, instead of he-man, because its highly likely that he-man himself will continue the translation where he left-off himself....

    but that's just my opinion on this matter, and for people saying going off spc net for the translation, it's not that big of a deal, he didnt do too many chapters anyway....
    Last edited by Krokolicious; 01-04-15 at 10:33 AM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khaiine View Post
    Now this is a really interesting statement, so first of all is jchen's translation inferior in terms of quality (containing large amounts of machine translated segments)? In your opinion what warrants the retranslation on (I think jchen released 3 chapters) the work jchen have put into ST.

    Tbh, if and when he-man comes back I'm quite sure he will continue translate from where he left off, with "I would like to work and finish this work on my own" that he have stated multiple times if memory serves me. So he will still redo whatever that have been released after his "hiatus", and I don't see any reason why I should retranslate anything as Jchen's translation looks fine to me.

    I'm not saying that your thinking is wrong or right but just curious what went through your mind before you came to that conclusion.

    If the reason is well stated and is holding water I would perhaps even abandon the work I have put into twin dragon so far and work on ST.

    And then the question is if I should start from where he-man left off or where jchen did.

    #Edit: If I'm gonna start on ST if there is not a life and death situation on why I should bother retranslating in the first place if the only reason is because the translation is not on spcnet you would have to ask another translator as I don't have infinite freetime as well. Anyway not being rude but it would warrant some huge reason for retranslating instead for progressing.

    A penny for your thoughts.

    Khaiine
    Honestly when I replied I only read halfway through the 1st chapter of JChen43's translation before I lost interest, but your comment made me to read it all. So far JChen43 has translated 4 chapters.

    Translation is a tough job, so please don't take my comments as a disrespect of JChen43.

    A great translation required a translator that understand the topic of the translated text, understanding of the source language and ability to write it in the target language or even the ability to tell the story in the target language.

    Having read all 4 chapters, I came to the conclusion that JChen43 isn't a native user (or expert) in both Chinese and English. So far I have been spoiled rotten by he-man translation which to me conveys expertise in both Chinese and English. AFAIK words to words translation won't work. He-man even not translated the title verbatim, he even deliberately mistranslated something because the correct translation would sound very wrong in English.

    Reading he-man translation you get the feeling that the flow of the story is very good. JChen43's translation is a million times better than MT, you can easily understand the story, but it's a miss on the flow of the story. There are a few words that JChen43 can't translate and some words that I suspect should be translated another way, but instead got translated the MT way.

    For me, ST is a great novel that deserve to be translated the proper way (I can't help it, I'm a perfectionist), so that the English literate world could experience it at its best.

    As for he-man returning, I think the chance of that happening is really very slim. That's what I called real life happened. A great momentum has sustained he-man for a year to give us 2xx chapers (one third of the novel) of high quality translation. Once this momentum is lost, it's very difficult to build one up again.

  6. #26
    Member episod3ux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    127

    Default

    ^251 chapters to be precise.I would also like someone to continue ST since from what i heard after this arc everything truly starts.
    Shipping Linley x Delia | My MAL profile | Got nothing to read? Recommendations.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Hello again Khaiine..
    Here I am, begging you again to translate Stellar Transformation..
    Please.. for me, it's better to continue the translation from jchen, so that the story can continue again..
    Buttake....

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    22

    Default

    All I can say right now if and whenever I start translate ST after finishing my current work is that the one thing that will dictate how fast I can finish a chapter will largely be depending on how updated and complete the current terminology that he-man have.

    Currently I'm done with 5/15 pages on twin dragon with roughly 1 hour ish effective work put into it so far. So with the current pace I should be done before the 11th January, most likely even before before that depending on TLC.

    Web novels are generally written with less formality as well compared to authors like Huang Yi so it *should* in theory be more easily translated.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    102

    Default

    whichever one you choose, khaiine, big thanks for your generosity. eagerly waiting ☺

  10. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    18

    Default

    It would be really awesome if you picked up ST once you're done translating the chapter of twin dragon. No pressure on you though, pick whichever you'd like to do.

  11. #31
    Junior Member Archimonde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    In front of my PC
    Posts
    24

    Default

    First of all, let me express my gratitude and admiration for joining the volunteer translator army.
    My heartfelt suggestion? Please continue Stellar Transformations translation.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Bludflag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Although this is a lengthy novel, its chapters are pretty short and the wording is FAR LESS complicated and polished than that of Jinyong novels, so I think anyone with above average English and Chinese skills can translate it without much difficulty.
    he-man`s qoute on the wording if you decide to translate it :P
    Whatever you decide,I am thankfull for it

  13. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    20

    Default

    I would love to see ST translated hope you decide to do that XD

  14. #34
    Moderator Ren Wo Xing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Currently DC
    Posts
    6,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khaiine View Post
    All I can say right now if and whenever I start translate ST after finishing my current work is that the one thing that will dictate how fast I can finish a chapter will largely be depending on how updated and complete the current terminology that he-man have.

    Currently I'm done with 5/15 pages on twin dragon with roughly 1 hour ish effective work put into it so far. So with the current pace I should be done before the 11th January, most likely even before before that depending on TLC.

    Web novels are generally written with less formality as well compared to authors like Huang Yi so it *should* in theory be more easily translated.
    Having worked on Jinyong, Gulong, Huang Yi, and Tomatoes, in terms of difficulty of translation, I can definitely tell you that:

    Jinyong >>>> Gulong ~ Huang Yi >> Tomatoes.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

  15. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bludflag View Post
    he-man`s qoute on the wording if you decide to translate it :P
    Whatever you decide,I am thankfull for it
    Just curious, which novel are you referring too more exactly as you forgot to mention the novels name?
    #Edit It should be ST right? After reading through what you wrote again it clicked in my brain haha


    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Having worked on Jinyong, Gulong, Huang Yi, and Tomatoes, in terms of difficulty of translation, I can definitely tell you that:


    Jinyong >>>> Gulong ~ Huang Yi >> Tomatoes.

    Thank god that's it's easier hue hue, kinda expected it already when I read through some of Tomatoes work. As much as I love the phrasing that Huang Yi have, it's a freaking pain in the *** to translate due to reasons like there is not a real translation on some idioms for instance that makes totally sense to a chinese speaker/listener but not 1 iota too people without any knowledge in chinese.


    The spoiler is that Coiling Dragon is 100 times more interesting than Swallowed star after the MC leaves earth and its a endless cycle of a new enemy -> powerup -> bossfight and rinse and repeat so many times that I'm currently at http://m.ranwen.net/files/article/0/548/3110220.html and I'm actually giving up on reading this novel as it's to boring. And the story is really centered around the MC and there is so little character progression and interactions between a lot of the characters in the universe that the author introduced just to say 1 freaking line before he killed the char ><, and you actually forgot that he had a family when there was a period when the author didn't write anything related to them in about 50 chapters. "Rant over"


    Now for some real news regarding the translation goes:
    1. My next semester in uni is starting 12th which is tomorrow *da dum tish*


    2. There was way to many pre-semester get-together events that was made pretty much on the spot by my classmates these past couple of days that I actually had 0 time translating anything due too not even being at home the past days.


    3. As uni is starting I will have to focus on my studies in my nurse program and hopefully when I have time I will finish the translation project I have started but it will be delayed to a "TBD" *=To be decided* date as I haven't seen this semester's schedule yet.


    Anyway the spring semester is starting and I hope that all of you guys from kindergarden (lul do they even read wuxia lul) to post grads that you will work hard in school and get good grades!!!


    Stay healthy everyone and love your closest until we meet again


    Khaiine
    Last edited by Khaiine; 01-11-15 at 12:50 PM.

  16. #36
    Moderator Ren Wo Xing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Currently DC
    Posts
    6,553

    Default

    Yep! I think Tomatoes got into a funk when he was doing SS and forgot the lessons he had learned from ST (and had applied to Coiling Dragon) in terms of character development, power creep, etc., especially towards the later parts of the story. Oh well!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

  17. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Yep! I think Tomatoes got into a funk when he was doing SS and forgot the lessons he had learned from ST (and had applied to Coiling Dragon) in terms of character development, power creep, etc., especially towards the later parts of the story. Oh well!
    Well the amazing thing with coiling dragon is that the steam that has been built up to the point where Ren Wo Xing have translated the story so far will not stop and more and more amazing things will happen without spoiling anything hue hue. In my opinion volume 7 is really well written with plenty of interesting moments that will shock the readers.

    Swallowed star is only fun and interesting up to roughly 150-ish chapters in, after that maybe 1 chapter out of 30 chapters is a beefing out characters chapters and these folks are the best if done in a proper way.

    RWX, really thankful to you that you are making so much progress but do relax every now and then before you burn yourself out with the speed you are bulldozing the novel at .

Similar Threads

  1. A project maybe we can all work on together.
    By Ken Cheng in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 12-09-12, 05:03 PM
  2. Project Ji Xiang
    By Suet Seung in forum ATV TV Series
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-13-09, 04:44 PM
  3. Project superstar II
    By Spanner in forum Singapore TV Series
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-01-07, 08:14 AM
  4. Project Runway
    By f.alchemist_freak in forum Global Series Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-15-06, 10:02 AM
  5. Remember the wuxia project ?
    By Candide in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-04, 11:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •