Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Zhan Long 斩龙 - An Wuxia Translation

Personally I have found that the things you pointed out were great , the MC is not to overpowered : he's skilled, but struggles a lot because of his foes (and even his "friends", often), his troubles with money, and other factors. These struggles make the whole novel interesting : how can a man stay positive when he has so much ennemies, and finally (I just try to guess) manage to overtake them.
    About the ability, it is SS but don't forget at which level he got it; it is incredibly better than the other abilities of the same level, thus it is something quite cool, 10% damage, or 100 free damage points every 1000 dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by totokkk View Post
    Personally I have found that the things you pointed out were great , the MC is not to overpowered : he's skilled, but struggles a lot because of his foes (and even his "friends", often), his troubles with money, and other factors. These struggles make the whole novel interesting : how can a man stay positive when he has so much ennemies, and finally (I just try to guess) manage to overtake them.
    You managed to ignore 80% of things i pointed out and misunderstand other 20%.
    I'm not complaining that MC is not overpowered. No matter strong or weak MC is, it should be consistent.
    It looks like author first wrote the story about some ordinary student struggling in game, but later, to make it more interesting, made him into retired James Bond. The problem is, he is still failing to dodge attacks of level 1 monsters and does not understand anything about most basic group fight tactics (apparently, his superman training course didnt include such useless things).
    Again, main point is not that MC is not strong, but that his ex secret agent background looks like later edition and is badly connected to virtual reality plot.

Quote Originally Posted by totokkk View Post
    About the ability, it is SS but don't forget at which level he got it; it is incredibly better than the other abilities of the same level, thus it is something quite cool, 10% damage, or 100 free damage points every 1000 dealt.
    Without his SS skill he would still take down monsters alone. Without his basic heal, he would not be able to. So, its not really "incredibly better". Well, its still very strong compared to 3% damage increase on single strike with execution delay and manacost. But its simply because the later skill is just useless.

Also, about coolness factor. Imagine you are playing some rpg as a mage. You have ability - simple magic missile. You reached max level and got your final ultimate ability, which is... simple magic missile with 100% more damage. You wont call it cool, right?
    In majority modern games classes are designed better than that, but apparently not in future super expensive VR game.
    And why, why in 97% realism game sword fights are mostly turn-based exchange of damage? What about fencing, blocks, dodges? Why are they implemented as if it is some DnD based rpg from 90s?

Honestly I think you are missing the point ...

The windblade skill was +3% at lvl 1. It increases every skill level (otherwise why level it up if only the mana cost increases) and I believe the growth rate was +30% dmg at lvl 10. It is also possible that special skills like "windblade" can be used inbetween the cooldown for his autoattack meaning you basically get an extra attack that does more dmg than normal. Also judging from the numbers it seems like due to how the defense/attack calculation works that seemingly small increase results in a significant increase in damage because a lot of the base attack is used to get past defense.

As far as an SS skill that increases all damage(sword-based) by 10% ... the difference between a 1-shot and a 2-shot is infinitely important. If it was not for this skill (and MC plot armor) he theoretically might have not killed some opponents resulting in having to waste time on more attacks and allowing counters.

I will grant you that it does seem rather turn-based for a 97% realism. Apparently despite it being realistic VR nothing can outdo the cooldown god. This is also part of why he cant just dodge everything with his real life reflexes. Game is basically putting a dampener on his performance to fit within the VRs reality (a lot of the time he feels like he can dodge but game goes "haha no you get hit now").

Honestly if you want to complain about failures it would probably be the fact the guy who is literally rolling in money cant hire a competent group of assassins to just stun lock/instant kill the MC from stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Boduar View Post
    The windblade skill was +3% at lvl 1. It increases every skill level (otherwise why level it up if only the mana cost increases) and I believe the growth rate was +30% dmg at lvl 10. It is also possible that special skills like "windblade" can be used inbetween the cooldown for his autoattack meaning you basically get an extra attack that does more dmg than normal. Also judging from the numbers it seems like due to how the defense/attack calculation works that seemingly small increase results in a significant increase in damage because a lot of the base attack is used to get past defense.
    I know. So, you need to use useless skill in combat 100000 times to get it to at least to level 5 for it to become not so useless?

Dont know, it does not seem to me, that it can be used inbetween autoattacks, but if it can... Imagine, you just swinged at the enemy and cant swing again, but for some reason you can use skill which is basically the same swing, but with 0.5 second startup. Just how clunky can combat be in that "97% realism game".

As for damage and armor mechanics, it was important when he was healer and his attack was barely higher than enemy armor. Now his attack is about 2 times higher than the enemy armor, so 3% increase in attack gives him 6% increase in damage, which is still not worth mana and delay.

As far as an SS skill that increases all damage(sword-based) by 10% ... the difference between a 1-shot and a 2-shot is infinitely important. If it was not for this skill (and MC plot armor) he theoretically might have not killed some opponents resulting in having to waste time on more attacks and allowing counters.
    Yes, thats true. But without basic self heal he wouldve failed a lot faster. Still, the main problem with that skill is not that its not strong, but that its boring passive damage bonus.

I will grant you that it does seem rather turn-based for a 97% realism. Apparently despite it being realistic VR nothing can outdo the cooldown god. This is also part of why he cant just dodge everything with his real life reflexes. Game is basically putting a dampener on his performance to fit within the VRs reality (a lot of the time he feels like he can dodge but game goes "haha no you get hit now").
    Didnt he state himself, that he is failing to get timing right? If he is really dodging, but game still deals damage to him... well, just how is it 97% realism?!

Why the best game author can imagine is worse than generic korean valley of the grind?

Honestly if you want to complain about failures it would probably be the fact the guy who is literally rolling in money cant hire a competent group of assassins to just stun lock/instant kill the MC from stealth.
    Only about most glaring and critical ones. Especially since the goal was not to complain, but to ask if it get better in untranslated chapters.

Hmm the only theoretical support I have for the possibility of special skills inbetween "auto" attacks is the fact custom combo's and regular combo's seem to "hit" multiple times extremely quickly. MCs is 5 hits in 1.2? seconds. I believe his auto attack cooldown is roughly the same time (which really does not make much sense since his first 3 hits of combo are basically auto attacks). I agree the realism factor in this is extremely lacking but my only explanation is the "realism" is less mechanisms and more based on senses. So sight/smell/etc are all "realistic" but ability is influenced by stats etc. So in the game you might be able to move much faster than humanly possible because it is ultimately a game and you can exceed human limits.

As far as using abilities 100,000x before it becomes useful I played a game that was even worse magic-wise haha. Not sure if you ever heard of it but it was called Darkfall. Started with a basic "mana missile" that you had to cast a ridiculous number of times to level up to unlock decent stuff and then cast those in turn a ridiculous number of times to unlock better stuff. Eventually you would get good skills that you had to level up(abilities/spells had individual skill levels, as well as skill levels for the type of magic in general) by guess again? casting it probably thousands of times. Almost every skill when you first got it was horribly bad in the game. Sad thing was it was a European-designed game not even an asian grindfest.

Honestly you are making valid points so I am not criticizing you for wanting it to be better, just pointing out my own views on things. Luckily I am alright at suspending disbelief sometimes and this story happens to be one of those situations where I can just enjoy the ride.

P.S. I agree his heal is OP for his character and his main crutch atm.

just registered to say this: this novel sucks, seriously, it started off very interesting but after several chapters it is sooooooooo boring, soo monotone, unbalanced..i dont wanna discourage anyo fellow readne from reading it and got nothing against readers...
    as an ex Zhan long reader i wanted say my opinion..
    i also saw some others comment on how the ending sucks and further into the story the monotone events just keep continuing....
    i just pity my fellow readers depart with the hard earned money for translations...just not worth it imo..
    anywho, story sucks, i dont remember a single chapter where i had to skip a lot of paragraphs, lots of cheap rant...
    this thread is for everyone, i dont have to love it to post here, so no bithin.. please, this is what i think of this story as a reader, ex reader..

We're only 10% of the way and you say the ending sucks?
    Where are the spoilers so we can also check out the summary and avoided spending more time on it if it's as bad as you say?

the people i saw commenting about the ending are credible people of this forum, forgot the names ( i have been lurking here for a while, and i have seen those people in many other quality novels discussion threads)...given the first 100 chapters' quality i can totally trust those people... 100 chapters are enough for me to create an opinion about this novel. i swear most of the times i felt like the story is a fanfic...btw, is it a fanfic? the stories i have read so far by professionals are soo far above this novels quality...if it is a fanfic, then i take my words back, for a fan this quality is not fair to be judged...

Meh honestly its not that bad. In general I think most game novels have this feel or at least it seems like it comparing it to Ark, LMS, etc. Really LMS was probably the best out of the bunch but I still find them all enjoyable to some extent. People have different tastes. Some books people rave about I wouldn't make it past the first 10 pages while I am crazy about some books that other people find mediocre or even not good.

If you don't enjoy it I would just suggest leaving and trying to not just spew negativity. Its pretty obvious the style is not going to change dramatically at this point so if you don't like it I would just drop it and call it a loss. If you like it keep reading.

LMS is the boss, i havn't seen anything better yet...raises the bar too high for other novels...Zang long looks like a sewage water in comparison..anyway, good read to all of you...

Problem with Zhan Long is most of the things he do in the game is repetitive(hunt,quest,pk,get rare item,pk,talk with wan er, hunt, quest,pk, get rare item, pk, etc). most of the time he only do pk'ing, getting items. would have been good if they focus on the questing part but that part was only getting skip

unlike LMS/Ark where the unique questing made the game not boring and not become repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalltear View Post
    Problem with Zhan Long is most of the things he do in the game is repetitive(hunt,quest,pk,get rare item,pk,talk with wan er, hunt, quest,pk, get rare item, pk, etc). most of the time he only do pk'ing, getting items. would have been good if they focus on the questing part but that part was only getting skip

unlike LMS/Ark where the unique questing made the game not boring and not become repetitive.
    How many chapters of zl have you read ? In later chapters (chapter 250 to 500), the pk get much less, and there are many things happening that has never happened before.

I read LMS, i read ark, and my opinion is zl has different attraction. Zl is the one story where i use mtl to read ahead, unlike lms and ark, since my knowledge of chinese words is way better than my korean language knowledge (a big zero)

the main character mentions at one point working to support a sister. when do we learn more abut this

Quote Originally Posted by Deltoren View Post
    the main character mentions at one point working to support a sister. when do we learn more abut this
    Well, I don't know anymore since what's his goal seems to change, and now he's more like spending all his money to his Zhan Long Studio.

Quote Originally Posted by perspherspley View Post
    Well, I don't know anymore since what's his goal seems to change, and now he's more like spending all his money to his Zhan Long Studio.
    yeah its like the author straight up forgot about her

just finished reading the first 20 chapter i must say this novel is pretty damn stupid, how is the MC so weak when he obviously has lots of combat experience + his martial arts background also not mentioning him being a EX Swat, isnt the game suppose to be 97% real? from what i read its more like 10% real and 90% game, i mean he is weaker than most people who dont even have real combat experience, how is this even possible?, the gaming aspect of this novel cant even compare to the likes or LMS or Ark which trully put Combat experience as a must, i mean a person who just started fighting for the first time is able to beat a EX SWAT is ridiculous, i mean he enters the game and completely forgets everything he learned in the Military and every Combat job he had, but once he gets outside he goes back to normal, is like he has 2 different personality, one that is an idiot and one that is serious.

i sure hope someone can explain to me why the MC is so much crap when he is obviously superior to most people his age and even older, makes no sense in my eyes, is the Game system assist type, and thats why every damn player knows how to wield a sword?
    the game is the personification of levels in games = power which is really unfair, it means no matter how skillfull you are in martial arts you will still lose to a noob who has higher levels.

Edit
    read the first 55 chapters, OMG MC is infuriating, why doesnt he fight like he does in real life, COmbos this and combos that, what is this? Worst Virtual reality Novel i ever read in my life, dropped, i just couldnt stand reading it anymore, the sheer stupidity was to much, instead of virtual reality it felt more like someone controlling a character using a keyboard and just spamming COmbost using 1-9, it doesnt feel like virtual reality game at all when every person in the game knows how to use a sword and move like they been training 20+ years in martial arts, so unrealistic is meh

Edit
    if the game gets an update that makes the NPC/Monster more real like then i can consider this game 97% realism, but the game is to simple, all these game terms work which shouldnt since the game is suppose to be realistic, Agro, monsters using the same attack patterns, its way to simple, and im sure even the combos are auto by the system, compare to LMS were people needs to actually use there virtual body to learn how to fight and move before jumping in and start killing everything on sight without any type of learning is really boring. after thinking about it a while longer i've come to conclude that this novel is absolutely garbage, how is it that a person who has killed people and has many life and death battles and also trained in some serious martial arts cant block some skills or sword swings in a game full of normal people, the author really messed up in this point, the transition makes no sense, is like the author forgot about the MC godly combat abilities and threw them out the window when he goes into the game,
    i give this novel a 2/10 for wasting my time, i gave it a chance but the stupidity was to much for me.
    Last edited by Rainne; 04-12-15 at 07:10 PM.

What I like about reading ZL is to see Xiao Yao's interactions with the girls and to see his game character XYZZ's character progression. For the other things that doesn't make sense (mostly game system and VR RL abilities), I just turn off my brain when I read them.

XYZZ Equips as of c158
    click to show/hide spoilers

[Man Luo’s Ring] (Silver Tier)
    Strength: +27
    Endurance: +25
    Extra: Increases the user’s attack by 40 points
    Special Effect: Life Steal, converts 1% of damage to the user’s health
    Level Requirement: 45

[Dawn Breastplate] (Gold-rank Equipment)
    Type: Heavy Armor
    Defense: 125
    Strength: +29
    Others: Increases defense by 40 points
    Level requirement: 35

[Necklace of the Broken Army] (Gold-Tier Equipment)
    Strength: +27
    Additional: Increases defense by 70 points
    Level Requirement: 38

[Ice Fire Cloak] (Gold-rank Equipment)
    Defense: 150
    Strength: +28
    Endurance: +24
    Additional: Increases defense by 50 points
    Level Requirement: 39

[Dragon’s Tomb Shin Guards] (Silver-Tiered Equipment)
    Category: Armor
    Defense: 110
    Strength: +28
    Extra: Increases attack damage by 0.7%
    Level Requirement: 40

[Fire Beacon Helmet] (Purple Tier Equipment)
    Type: Armor
    Defense: 180
    Strength: +35
    Endurance: +32
    MP resistance: Magic damage reduction by 2%
    Extra: Increases attack power by 4%
    Level Requirement: 45

[Frost Rain Sword] (Purple Tier – Superior)
    Attack: 720-950
    Strength: +37
    Endurance: +35
    Other: User’s Attack Power increased by 7%
    Unique Passive: 3% probability of a critical hit
    Level requirement: 48

[Scarlet Demon Ring] (Purple Tier)
    Strength: +37
    Endurance: +35
    Extra: Increases HP by 300
    Extra: Increases physical attack damages by 6%
    Level Requirement: 49

[Purple Dawn Boots] (Purple Tier)
    Type: Armor
    Defense: 225
    Strength: +38
    Endurance: +32
    Extra: Increases defense by 4%
    Extra: Increases magic resistance by 11%
    Extra: Increases movement speed by 3%
    Level Requirement: 50

[Heaven’s Peak Wristguard] (Purple Tier)
    Category: Armor
    Defense: 220
    Strength: +40
    Ability Power: +38
    Extra: Increases precision of attacks by 17%
    Extra: Increases magical resistance by 15%
    Required level: 49
    Last edited by ager0; 04-13-15 at 12:13 AM.

@Rainne i had the same problem with you when it did come to dodging.I was like what the hell how can't he avoid some sword swing if he was that good in RL? Even worse in last chapters he got a item if i'm not wrong with "Increases precision of attacks by 17%" now Acc is not bad but the description that was made for it,like even if you dodge the sword goes after you sounds stupid to me.I guess the game is made in a way to restricting players,when he killed that boss at lvl19-20 in a special way i thought that wow so it works that way too but looks like not.
    97% Reality i guess just in terms of looking like real life.That's all i can tell.I think it was mentioned that you can do a lot of things in game but i can't see anything further than those stats.
    ZL is ridiculous for this and if you want to see the opposite ridiculous where the stats count as nothing check Shadow Rogue from japtem.http://japtem.com/projects/shadow-rogue-toc/
    Shipping Linley x Delia | My MAL profile | Got nothing to read? Recommendations.

My biggest question is why are all these young, rich, goodlooking, smart and talented people spending an excessive amount of time playing a video game? Besides eating and some classes, all they are doing is playing games. Doesn't make sense.