Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jiang Ye (Before Night) by Mao Ni (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Quote Originally Posted by Bludflag View Post
    A shame that this needs better editing with the tenses involved,or will you edit it later?Still thanks for translating this!
    You mean for chapter 1 or 2 or both? i know chpater 1 needs better tense edit went to sleep last night after posting 2... so was going to do it now.

If there is anything you see wrong from chpater 1 or 2 just shout it out =D
    Last edited by binggodude; 02-08-15 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by binggodude View Post
    If there is anything you see wrong from chpater 1 or 2 just shout it out =D
    First of all, thanks for the translation. Second this is a concern only, not meant to be ungrateful so don't take it too hard, and did you tell them you are taking over the project? Just to be courtesy

So on chapter 1 the first setence

唐帝国天启十三年春,渭城下了一场雨。
    Which you translated into: During the spring time of year thirteen, rain poured down upon a city in the region of the Tang empire.
    Shouldn't it be: Tang dynasty, during the spring of thirteen years in reign, Weicheng experienced a heavy rain.

Also, you keep using Xiang, but in the original text the authour uses his full name, like this part.
    马士襄怔了怔,想起某个可恶的家伙,沉默片刻后低头回应道:“有现成的人选。”
    Here you use Xiang instead of Ma Shi Xiang.
    Although the meaning is the same but the feel is off, shouldn't you try to preserv the authour writing style when translating?

Anyway, I just wanted to point out those things, and please don't think I'm ungrateful, because I'm not and since you said "If there is anything you see wrong from chpater 1 or 2 just shout it out =D" :P

Btw, why aren't you translating the prologue also? Since OSTNT only did half of it, as the prologue contains some information about Ning Que's family execution.

Well, that's all

Your humbly leecher
    Last edited by XCarus; 02-08-15 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XCarus View Post
    First of all, thanks for the translation. Second this is a concern only, not meant to be ungrateful so don't take it too hard, and did you tell them you are taking over the project? Just to be courtesy

So on chapter 1 the first setence

唐帝国天启十三年春,渭城下了一场雨。
    Which you translated into: During the spring time of year thirteen, rain poured down upon a city in the region of the Tang empire.
    Shouldn't it be: Tang dynasty, during the spring of thirteen years in reign, Weicheng experienced a heavy rain.

Also, you keep using Xiang, but in the original text the authour uses his full name, like this part.
    马士襄怔了怔,想起某个可恶的家伙,沉默片刻后低头回应道:“有现成的人选。”
    Here you use Xiang instead of Ma Shi Xiang.
    Although the meaning is the same but the feel is off, shouldn't you try to preserv the authour writing style when translating?

Anyway, I just wanted to point out those things, and please don't think I'm ungrateful, because I'm not and since you said "If there is anything you see wrong from chpater 1 or 2 just shout it out =D" :P

Btw, why aren't you translating the prologue also? Since OSTNT only did half of it, as the prologue contains some information about Ning Que's family execution.

Well, that's all

Your humbly leecher
    I don't know how others do it with names but i thought it was ok to just write one of their names instead of all of them i guess ill go look into that and decide. That is why i replaced all Ma Shi Xiang with just Xiang. And I think you might be right about the rain part. I am not the one translating it but i edited that sentence so ill change it so it means that the city experienced heavy rain.

Edit: it is group effort by me and 2 of my friends so I don't take credit for translations but my two friends do.
    Last edited by binggodude; 02-08-15 at 10:01 AM.

I don't know how others do it with names but i thought it was ok to just write one of their names instead of all of them i guess ill go look into that and decide. That is why i replaced all Ma Shi Xiang with just Xiang. And I think you might be right about the rain part. I am not the one translating it but i edited that sentence so ill change it so it means that the city experienced heavy rain.

Edit: it is group effort by me and 2 of my friends so I don't take credit for translations but my two friends do.
    I'm sure most people would try to preserv the feeling and the way the authour write as much as possible while translating, and it's quite wierd to just use a surname like that, well I get quite annoyed while reading the xiang xiang part only XD, but that's me :P

Anyway, thanks for your effort.

Edit: Forgot to say, it's better if you made a website and publish it there or in google doc, it's such a pain to scroll through a bunch of comments to read the next part.
    Last edited by XCarus; 02-08-15 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XCarus View Post
    I'm sure most people would try to preserv the feeling and the way the authour write as much as possible while translating, and it's quite wierd to just use a surname like that, well I get quite annoyed while reading the xiang xiang part only XD, but that's me :P

Anyway, thanks for your effort.

Edit: Forgot to say, it's better if you made a website and publish it there or in google doc, it's such a pain to scroll through a bunch of comments to read the next part.
    we high school kids ain't got enough money to make a website. Also we will once there is enough people reading it or if situation requires it. But so far as of right now I don't think there is a need to i think.

we high school kids ain't got enough money to make a website. Also we will once there is enough people reading it or if situation requires it. But so far as of right now I don't think there is a need to i think.
    Haha, all right,FYI you create a free website at these places: wordpress.com, weebly.com or tumblr.com

Well, time to continue leeching!

Thanks for the chapters this seems promising i hope it is continued

Chapter 3: Tang’s Simplicity is Respect

The empire’s culture is rather open, plus it was discussion at night in a military camp. But after hearing the words ‘ignorant princess’, Ma Shi Xiang’s facial expression turned worrisome.

After the noble woman entered Wei city, he was so careful of his words and actions. Ma Shi Xiang never thought Ning Que would give such a harsh comment toward the noble guest so carelessly. Moreover, he thought Ning Que’s evaluation of the guest was inappropriate and unfair, which made him even angrier.

Everyone knew that the fourth princess of Tang Empire was not an idiot and not arrogant, but in fact the opposite was true. She is a wise and caring princess.

A vastful empire like Tang, with its formidable military force, was not afraid of anyone. Even when Tang was against numbers of other central empires and the tribes of the Great Plain, it never thought of diplomacy through marriage. Except during the early years of Tang, some of the generals of the first emperor were from the Great Plain. They married some daughters of the royal family to establish greater bond and loyalty.

But three years ago the tribes of Great Tribe was in a turmoil, the enemy of the Tang empire stirred up an invasion in the largest tribe in the Great Plains to invade the Tang Empire. During such an emergency, the youngest princess of Tang at the age of fourteen, kneeled in front of the Royal Palace for days. She requested to marry the chief of the tribe to achieve peace. Although the request was against the will of the entire empire, she went her own way and forfeited the flourishment of Chang An and entered the Great Plain for the peace treaty.

After the marriage was announced, the entire world was shocked and people were discussing all over the streets. Old officials requested meeting with the emperor during the night to discuss the said matter. Emperor himself released his angers by smashing countless luxurious jaded cups, and the queen was silent due to her mixed feelings toward her daughter's decisions. However, all the protests couldn’t stop the girl’s determined mind. After knowing all this, the chief of the tribe was astonished and took the princess for a liking. He ordered five thousand lambs, cows, and horses as tribute to the Tang empire to marry the young princess. In the end the Tang emperor reluctantly decided to let his daughter marry far out into the Great Plain.

After the young princess arrived the Great Plain and married the chief, the couple was respectful and cared each other. The once ambitious leader of the barbarian race became a calm lion of the prairie. He defended the territory of the Great Plain but dare not to invade an inch of Tang’s land.

Except the unexpected happened. The chief died suddenly during his prime years, and his younger brother succeeded the position as the head chief. The situation around the borders once again became hostile.

Despite the current situation, there was a valuable period of peace for five years between the Great Plain and Tang empire. From the moment when the princess kneeled before the Royal Palace, there was no war, and she had all the contribution for the achievement.

Rumors said that the reason for the determination of the princess to go out to the Great Plain was to avoid the queen. If even this was true, in the eyes of the military general and court officials, it was the right thing to do. The fourth princess did not abuse the emperor’s love and avoided problems with the queen, which helped to sustain the stability of the upper class and the entire empire.

On the other hand, the princess’s actions was almost like a slap on the face towards the military generals and soldiers who defended the borderline. They were not afraid of barbarians nor warfares. They felt they were ashamed by her actions of marrying their enemy for diplomacy. However, no one will reject the god-send peace.

Therefore their feelings toward the princess was very complicated, with some unreasonably anger, but also appreciation. All those thoughts mixed together and became an emotion of indescribable respect.

Ning Que was just a regular soldier, so it was hard to say if he understands the mixed feelings of the general. However it did not matter, his current situation will determine his future and safety, and Ning Que took his life very seriously - perhaps more important than anything else. He pretended not to noticed the gloomy face of the general and continued, “I estimated the number of arrow holes, it was clear that new chief was pretty determined on killing the entire carriage. I bet half of the original group died on the Great Plain due to ambushes and assassinations. “

“They said there was an encounter of some marauders ,” Ma Shi Xiang showed some suspicion on his expression. Even he did not believe the story.

“Even the chief of Great Plain himself dare not attack the princess of Tang under broad daylight. So.....it can only be marauders, except everyone knows who was behind them.” Ning Que continued, “But something was off, if everyone knows that the marauders were the cavalry from the Great Plain, why were the tribe so daring? Do they not fear that the wrath of Tang will seek revenge and eliminate the entire tribe?

Tang declared independence based on its strength. Its culture was simple yet competitive. It’s known as the strongest nation on the world, so it concerned the most about honor, yet if it really wanted to completely destroy the barbarians on the Great Plain, it would exhaust more than half of the nation’s wealth and power.

Just to revenge for the assault of the princess, which would cause the entire nation to suffer, may seem impossible to happen, but in fact, such things were common in Tang’s history.

The most famous example happened when Tang’s first Emperor was still in charge,

A tribe on the Great Plain massacred a small village called White Sheep, one hundred and forty people were killed. Emperor’s messenger went to the tribe to ask what happened, yet he was expelled with one ear cut off by the tribe’s chief,. The first Emperor felt extremely angry, immediately decided to invade the Great Plain. As a result, the entire nation prepared for the war, supporting a troop of 80,000 calvaries marching north. The tribe was frightened and fleeted to the northern Great Plain under huge wind and snow, yet Tang’s cavalry troop followed all the way without hesitation. The battle lasted for several months, and the entire tribe was eventually slaughtered.

Fighting battles for months, destroying the opponent tribe, these results may seem simple, and these may seem glorious, yet they at same time took Tang Empire a great amount of costs.

To afford such exhausting war, the court sent millions of farmers and levied three provinces of livestocks. Because of this war, the tax in the South quadrupled, the citizens all got angry, court officials had no time and energy to take care of their work, and even worse, the entire world was on the edge of collapsion.

Tang Empire’s most marvellous quality, was shown clearly from this one of the most dangerous moment ever and the later evaluations towards it.

When the Tang cavalry marched onto the Great Plain, the rebels in the South, surprisingly, did not attack the empire at its weakest moment, but rather returned to their bases. It looks like that they didn’t want to hinder Tang’s march. Maybe the rebels wanted to grab the opportunity to rebel when the Tang Empire was at its weakest. Maybe they hadn’t felt connected to the “pride of the empire,” but in the end they didn’t attack. They had to face the reality that the poor peasants who used to support them before, all remained silent to show their opposition to the leaders of the rebellion party, at the moment when Tang was in danger.

Tang’s first Emperor who won this battle did not have a high historical status. He didn’t have a respectable status even within the empire. Not even in historical records or in the travelers poets’ stories, there were no good evaluations of the Emperor. Many considered him as totalitarian and harsh.

But even the most conservative scholar, the Academy professors who didn’t care about the sovereign at all and the farmers and merchants who hated taxations the most, they will find different kinds of reasons to criticize this emperor. But none of the people think the battle solely caused by the Emperor’s anger, which exhausted the nation’s wealth, should not be fought.

Because since the establishment of country, the people on this land insist to believe and defend a simple reason: I will not invade you, but you cannot invade me, even if I invade you, but you…..shall not invade me!

No matter who invades me, I will invade back.
    This is Tang Empire’s basis to establish the nation.
    This is Tang Empire’s road to strengthen the nation.
    This is why the strongest nation in the world is called Tang.

TL note: Please comment on what you think we can improve on. Also please bear with it the manga like speed up the book chapters way too fast. The beginning is slow but the later chapters where the storyline starts to roll is where the good "drugs" are at.

Thanks for the new chapter...
    This is getting good...

thanks alot binggodude!

Thanks for chapter.I`m too lazy to go back and find the mistakes in was/were that were made{was is used for singular and were for plural (eg. They were idiots until he beat some sense into them)}.

I like it, many thanks for your efforts in translating it.

Thanks for the translation, I was hoping more of Maoni's work would get translated ever since I read what's been translated for Joy of Life.

TL Note: Won't be a chapter tomorrow until Wednesday at the very least sorry. And i hope you guys enjoy the chapter.

Chapter 4: The Future Discussion of an Irregular Tang

The Tang empire was treated as the strongest empire based on a simple trait - its power.

Ning Que was not the typical civilian you expected to see. When he was on the battlefield, he didn’t seem be the type that fight until victory or with death. Even if he lived in Wei city for another two decades, he would not be able to craft an astonishing history where a beggar advanced to be a general.

But he had stayed in the army long enough to grasp precisely the rather precious and almost romantic traits of the Tangs. At the moment he discovered the arrows holes on the princess’s carriage, he inferred some troubling-inducing business. The current chief of the Great Plain was daring enough to assassinate the princess of Tang empire! Either the chief had truly gone mad, or there are actual powerful figures in the government of Tang backing him up.

“The fourth princess had already stepped into the boundary of Tang and entered Wei city, but she never revealed her true identity. What is the reason? because there wasn’t a vocabulary as ‘trust’ in her mind anymore. Perhaps she trusted the emperor, but for sure she has no faith in the officials. She didn’t believe in you, the general, she didn’t trust the military, she probably didn’t even trust the entire court.“

”Because she knew very well that if there was no figure in the capital allowing the barbarians to ambush her, they would not dared to attack. And the number of figures powerful enough to make such a deal? no more than four, and she will not want to mess with any of those four characters.”

“Even you, the general, wanted to stay away from this kind of upper class turmoil as far as possible, speak less of minions like me,” Ning Que stepped on the wet muddy ground with his heels, and whispered, “Troubles will definitely occur during the trip. I may hold down three to five people in a battle, but it is no use in a situation like this.”

“If I join the carriage, there will be one more dead body in the mountain side; if I don’t join, Wei City can have one more honest soldier.”

“Please general, just pretend that I am a tiny useless trace of Qi of nature, and you expect nothing out of me.”

Ma Shi Xiang looked at the humble youngster and signed, “Pretend you are a trace of Qi? is that humble or self-pride? If you really want me to take this order back, maybe you can compare yourself to a fart.”

Ning Que laughed and replied, “Well, I am about to become a student of the Academy, so I think it’s best for me to choose my words wisely.”

Ma Shi Xiang stopped teasing the child. He wrinkled his eyebrows and was silent for a brief moment, “The reason for me recommending you as the guide of the carriage..... is related to the Academy business,” he explained, “You have enough contribution, you passed the first exam, and I wrote you a recommendation letter to the school. But you really think this is enough to get you into the Academy?

“All these years you stayed on the borderline of the empire. Even if you heard some stories about the Academy, you have no idea what kind of place it represented.”

The general’s expression slowly became serious and heavy, “The Academy is the most prestigious, righteous, and sacred place in the hearts of civilians of Tang. Obtaining a military recommendation and report only means you are able to enter the test of the Academy. But if you really want to step over the glorious entry of the school, then you have to get at least three stamps from different apartments of the court......”

“Those apartments won’t take a recommendation letter from a low rank general like me to heart. Even the military guidance doesn’t have much power. If they want, the apartments can easily delay your exam date for several years. This situation is pretty common lately. Besides the private students of teachers in the Academy, any applicants who use the court route need to use money to buy their way in. There are countless middle class families that went bankrupted just to enter that one test!”

“I know that you saved some money in Wei City in the two years, but do you really that you can fulfill those people with barely a few hundred silver coins?

Ning Que scratched the back of his head, sighed emotionally and said, “No one told me about this thing before.”

“Because now there is a way to solve this thing, so there is no need to tell you about it.”

Ma Shi Xiang glanced at him and spoke unhappily, “As long as you achieve merits on
    your way to Chang An, so the noble would favor you, or even simply remember your name. Later if any butler of the Princess’s mansion will help you say something, then which government office would dare to blackmail you?”

“So this means that I have to use my life to gamble for an eligibility for the entry test to the Academy. How come it sounds somewhat not worthwhile?”Ning Que continued scratching his head.

Ma Shi Xiang gave him a severe glance, scolded, “You ****ing dumb ***!! To get into the Academy, countless people are willing to sell their mother and kill their father! Now you only have to take some risk, yet you are not willing to do it! ”

After a while the general calmed his breathe, and suggested, “Based on my analysis, Princess should also know that her track was impossible to be kept as a secret. If you could’ve guessed her identity, and the entire Wei city could have guessed it, then isn’t that means her enemies in this country would’ve guessed that too? Even so she still insisted to get on the journey to the Capital, which means that there are reinforcements waiting on the way. Your mission is simply guide her through the shortcut, so she can get touch with the reinforced people sooner, how is that gambling your life?”

Ning Que looked down, remained silent for a long time, ceaselessly calculating the costs and benefits within this mission.

Ma Shi Xiang stared at his facial expression, remembered this youngster’s strange temper, which had irritated him often. He understood that if he did not take out some tangible profit, it would be really hard to convince him to take the risk, so he involuntarily made a sigh, and whispered,“the Princess had an old man with him. His last name is Lu. I heard that he is part of the North Gate of the Great Sky Way.”

After he heard this, Ning Que looked up immediately, his usual calm but lazy eyes suddenly lit up.

Ma Shi Xiang sighed as he looked at him, “You came to Wei City when you were a small child. You earned everyone’s favor through your honeyed words and ability. The soldiers of the camp changed year after year, even the restaurant in the east of the city had changed two owners, yet you were still the most favored kid in the Wei City.”

He rubbed Ning Que’s head, just like looking at a spoiled kid, said, “In that year right before our last general died, he helped you get a military status. Right after the fall, we went to the Great Plain to collect firewood, yet we were besieged by the barbarians and almost died, it’s because of you so we could survive. At that time, the entire Wei City’s people decided to greatly merit you. We even came up with the idea that, even if your request was to have the most popular prostitute in the Capital for your first night, we would sell whatever we had to raise the money for you.”

The general, whose hair was already mostly grey, suddenly switched the thread of the conversation, bitterly said, “Yet no one expected that your request is to Xiu Xing. Unfortunately, we could not help on that at all. Within the entire Wei City, or even the entire Seven City Countryside, we could not help you find a teacher to Xiu Xing. All we could do is watching you reading the Extreme Sense over and over again, but nothing else.”

“But now it’s your chance!”

Ma Shi Xiang’s eyes suddenly became sharp, “No matter the Academy, or that elder, you have to catch both of the opportunities, and you must catch them.”

Ning Que stood reticently for a long time, looked down and slightly sighed, “Actually….I just somewhat feel reluctant to leave you guys.”

The stars outside of the window were soft and smooth. Ma Shi Xiang glanced at the youngster and said, “Wei City….after all, is too small, you should go to the Capital Chang An, to take a look at the real big world, maybe those places have a lot of danger, but have you ever really scared of anyone? ”

“At least...those places won’t only have one worn-out Extreme Sense.”

Thanks alot binggodude

Thanks binggodude and friends, please name your friends we like to thank them too

Thanks binggodude and friends

Seem good so far, thanks for the translation binggodude & co.

I am really looking forward to this series.

Thanks for translations!I would love to post the corrections but that takes time and I have a test tomorrow about the nervous system,the 5 human senses(which frankly should be a test to themselves) and human addictions(I have no idea why there is a test for that every year,1 time is enough I still remember the info).