Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Jiang Ye (Before Night) by Mao Ni (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

wait the princess had a kid? isn't she like 18?

Quote Originally Posted by Benedictxxii View Post
    wait the princess had a kid? isn't she like 18?
    What's wrong with that? Culture/local law aside, woman are able to have kids when they reach 12-13 years old. the whole 18-21 age thingy is all about emotional and mental requirement to actually raise the kid. Also, with all this ancient China vibe, you can safely assume that people mature much faster (MC is also young but quite accomplished in art of chopping people heads which is a bit harder than producing offspring). Hell, If you look at times before "youth" was invented (after WWI for USA and WWII for Europe) it was fairly normal to educate kid up to ripe age of 16 and then send it out to the world as adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Wszaman View Post
    What's wrong with that? Culture/local law aside, woman are able to have kids when they reach 12-13 years old. the whole 18-21 age thingy is all about emotional and mental requirement to actually raise the kid. Also, with all this ancient China vibe, you can safely assume that people mature much faster (MC is also young but quite accomplished in art of chopping people heads which is a bit harder than producing offspring). Hell, If you look at times before "youth" was invented (after WWI for USA and WWII for Europe) it was fairly normal to educate kid up to ripe age of 16 and then send it out to the world as adult.
    If I recall correctly, she was 14 when she left to the barbarian lands to marry, so she probably had that kid when she was 15 or so. The kid should be a toddler.

I would assume that the toddler is the dead Chief's child, not hers. Only that it's too dangerous for the child to remain in the plains and she grew to like him. So, she brought the child back to protect him.

Chapter 16 He came out of mountain, with a little girl

A bloody and intense battle had just ended. The last surviving soldiers’ attitudes toward Ning Que had underwent a slight change. During the trip leaving Wei city, the soldiers may respected Ning Que’s ability as a guide. But if they encountered a big event or are in need of a major decision, the guards would treat Ning Que as a useless rock on the sidewalk. However, now the guards will instinctively ask Ning Que for permission when they were doing something.

After obtaining the princess’ permission, the guard leader followed Ning Que’s suggestion and did not immediately leave the entrance to North Mountain. Instead, he decided to let all the wounded soldiers to stay and rest to heal, while hoping the aiding troops from west of North Mountain will arrive during sunrise.

The weakend elder, Lu Qing Chen, calmly looked at the youngster resting beside the campfire. A smile climbed onto his face. His right thumbed slowly rubbed against his index finger, and shook his head at last.

There were two fire camps around the carriage. Although the wind in the dense forest was strong, the wetness of rotten leaves helped to control the spreading of the flame. The guard leader and wounded soldiers gathered around one of the fire camp, leaving the better spot for the princess, elder, and the small boy. They did not forget the difference in social status even in an urgent situation like this.

After finishing up bandaging and their meal, the barbarians from the Great Plain could not resist their thirst after battle and started drinking. The people around the fire camp passed the wineskin around; when it got to Sang Sang, the young maid shook her head. A barbarian named Du Mu walked toward Ning Que with a respecting expression, and passed the wineskin to Ning Que with his two hands.

Someone was observing this scene, and her pretty eyebrows wrinkled. She knew the loyal barbarians serving her were once dangerous bandits who roamed the Great Plain. They hardly ever show respect to anyone besides her. However this time the expression in their eyes not only contained respect, but also fear - even if the barbarians were thankful that the youngster turned the battle around and saved their lives, why do they fear him?

Ning Que took the wineskin and drank a sip, and his eyebrows wrinkled because his throat was burned by the rather strong alcohol. He looked at the elder sitting next to the campfire and thought of something. He pushed his exhausted body up with two hands and walked towards the elder. But before Ning Que even greeted the elder with a formal gesture, a cold voice interfered him.

“Sit.”

Ning Que turned his head towards the pretty maid sitting next to the firecamp. He looked at her beautiful face brightened by the blaze, and signed in his heart. He bowed respectfully and sit properly at a place not too far and not too close to her.

Although Ning Que regarded her as an idiot, their social status differed greatly. If she was the stars in the sky, then Ning Que will be the worms in the field. Therefore he must be careful of his manners, he must be respectful to her.

Because she was no maid, she was Li Yu, the fourth princess of Tang Empire.

Li Yu quietly looked at the youngster’s face. His face was young and normal, except the dimples that blossomed when he smiled and the freckles on his face, there was nothing special about him.

Just a normal young soldier like him performed outstandingly during the last fight. When Li Yu saw Ning Que’s attack, he reminded of her the cold yet dangerous tigers leaping over the bushes on the Great Plain. She did not know why, but whenever she saw Ning Que next to her, her mood will become calm and relaxed.

Perhaps the youngster was guarding her like the tiger on the Great Plain.

But the problem was not that she liked the youngster. From Wei City until now, no matter when she disguised as a maid or revealed her true identity as the princess, she never liked the actions of this borderline soldier

What made her displeased was that she felt Ning Que’s respect towards her was just on the outside. She couldn’t feel anything from his proper manners and gestures; she even felt that Ning Que might have scoffed at her in some dark corners - A woman’s instinct was a terrifying weapon, no matter farm wives in the field or queens in the palace.

As the most noble princess of Tang empire, as long as she thought a low rank soldier was laughing at her, she should feel angry. However, this princess’s feeling now was, when sitting with the opponent, alongside the firewoods, actually a relax feeling of security, a feeling of being protected.

She liked this feeling, yet she didn’t like the fact that the occurrence of this feeling was because of Ning Que. Therefore, she actually felt humiliated and mad. So she narrowed her eyes as she looked at one side of his face, and intentionally spoke with a colder voice.

“During the battle, you seemed to want to go to the wagon to save this one?”

This one is what kind of princess? Da Ming princess? Li Xia princess? In any case at that time, the real princess was not in the wagon, so now this one say you wanted to save the princess before, of course she was actually being sarcastic and sneered that you only cared about accomplishing honor.

“Actually…..I knew that highness is highness when I was at Wei City.”

Ning Que looked at her and explained seriously, highness is highness, therefore the me palace at the wagon obviously wouldn’t be princess. Such disguise might be effective for diversion, but in the smart people’s eyes it’s simply a small trick.

Li Yu slightly frowned. She did not ask Ning Que more about when did he find out about his identity. Probably due to the previous battle and the sense of security she felt after, she had a good judgement on the youngster’s ability.

Suddenly she asked coldly, “You said you learned the killing skill in military, but you were only around fifteen now. Back then when Wei City was drafting you were only a little kid, why would the frontier soldiers take you?”

Ning Que thought that you were only a sixteen year old girl too when you were married to the chief on the Great Plain. When he was about to bull shit some random answers, Sang Sang came unnoticedly, sitting by his side.

Looked at the quiet small girl sitting next to him, his hearted slightly softened, staring at the fire in front of him, thinking back to his memory, “Princess should know that I picked up Sang Sang at the street when I was really young. At that time we were all very little. We accidentally went into the big Mian Mountain. When we were about to die from hunger and thirst, we encountered an old hunter.”

He turned up his head, looked at the Princess’s pretty face, said, “The old hunter was not a Xiu Xingist. He did not really save us for a good purpose, but anyway, he taught me to hunt. I learned archery from him. Later on….the old hunter died. So I lived with Sang Sang in Mian Mountain through hunting.“

A really simple narration, but the Princess could imagine a really vivid picture. A ten year old little boy carried a six year old little girl, hardly walking in the dangerous Mian Mountain. He had a little wooden arch in his hand, and the little girl carried a set of arrows in her back.

Sometimes they might not be able to catch any animals, and sometimes they might be chased by leopard on the mountain. Occasionally, the two children would celebrate for simply shooting a rabbit, and occasionally saw the lit stockaded village but had to leave silently.

In Li Yu’s eyes, Ning Que’s face no longer looked that mean. She frowned and asked, “It was so dangerous in a mountain. Why didn’t you seek help from the government? Tang gave a lot of aids of the orphans.”

Ning Que looked down and picked up a firewood, said with a deep voice, “Living, was actually easier in a place where there were little people.”

A really simple word, but actually hide much blood and tear from harsh living, Li Yu blankly looked at the master and maid at the side of firewoods, suddenly asked, “That old hunter...how did he die?”

Ning Que looked up, replied calmly, “ I killed him, killed him with a knife.”

He did not explain why he had to kill that old hunter, and he would not explain to the noble princess who never experienced the most dirty and dark part in the bottom class of the world. He probably would never explain to anyone in his life. He simply dotingly rubbed Sang Sang’s little brain, and pulled her into his arms.
    Last edited by binggodude; 03-05-15 at 07:46 PM.

Chapter 17 The fable alongside the fire woods

The clumsy little boy reached out his head out of princess Li Yu’s arms and looked curiously at Ning Que. He acted like Sang Sang and put his head in Li Yu’s hug once again, his little face rubbed against her shirt and some mucus stayed on her shirt.

Li Yu took out her handkerchief and wiped the Barbarian little boy’s face without feeling disgusted. She turned her head toward Ning Que and said nonchalantly, “Serve me after you get to Chang An, I will give you a good future.”

Ning Que already guessed the true identity of the barbarian little boy, but he never thought the princess would treat her stepson with such love and care. His evaluation of her changed slightly. Since he was thinking about her actions, his reaction was a little slow. He waited for a moment and said, “Your honor, after I arrive Chang An I will be attending the entrance exam of the Academy.”

People could have multiple explanations for a single sentence. Ning Que’s reply can be understood as he did not have time to serve the princess, or it could be understood as a rejection. In his rejection contained his pride - if he did get into the Academy, the princess did not need to worry about his future, because everyone who graduated the Academy will succeed.

“Are you sure you can obtain the permission to take the entrance exam, and successfully pass it?” Li Yu looked at him coldly and continued, “Although Tang Empire treat the educated with fortune and respect, but this “treat” has its limits. If you believe all of the educated can find their opportunity and become successful, why did Scholar Liu from the last dynasty wasted his life in the brothel.

Ning Que looked at her and said earnestly, “I understand, that’s why I am here asking Your Highness to help me clean up the unnecessary obstacles. I don’t want to miss my chance of getting into the Academy just because I am poor.”

Li Yu stared back him with suspiciousness and remained silent for a long time. She did not understand why did this young soldier reject her invitation so directly with such a calm tone.

Let it be known that she was the most beloved princess of the emperor and the entire empire, while Ning Que was just a regular soldier in a borderline city. If it was any other person, even if they obtained the permission to take the entrance exam to the Academy, they would still accept her invitation with gratefulness and joy.

After the long moment of silence, she said quietly, “I will help you, because I owe you.”

After finishing her sentence, she lost her interest in the conversation. She stared at the campfire with the little boy in her arms, and slowly her eyes turned watery. The elder, Lu Qing Chen, was still meditating beside the campfire, while on the other side the guards had already fallen asleep. The night in the forest darkened, sometimes the bird chirped at the starry sky on top of them.

Surprisingly Ning Que saw the tears in her eyes, following her sight, he realized that she was looking at the corpses of the Great Plain barbarians and guards.

Thinking about how she helped the boy clean his nose, seeing now she was feeling sad for the subordinates, Ning Que’s impression towards the princess changed again. He thought silently, even though she is an idiot, she is still a nice idiot.

Sang Sang fell asleep on his knee. The only ones who still opened eyes are he and Li Yu. The two people quietly sat, suddenly, the barbarian boy got out from her arms, rubbed his eyes and said he couldn’t fall asleep and wanted to hear a story. Li Yu felt embarrassed, thinking that she had already forgotten all the stories she heard during childhood, and how can she tell the romantic stories she heard in adolescent period to a little child?

The barbarian boy did not say a word, but stared aggrievedly at his nominal mother, appeared to be very pitiful. Ning Que smiled, looking at the embarrassed princess, made a cough.

“Wheats are gold and yellow, oats are green….the eggs broke itself one by one, but the biggest egg still had no any movement…..Mother Duck looked at the big and ugly child, looked at him swimming happily in water, said proudly, “ See, she is not a horrifying chicken, she is my own child.”

“But she is way too ugly. No matter where she went to, she will be judged by everyone. A wild duck says, as long as you don’t marry any of the duck in my specie, then it’s none of our business.”

“One night, when the beautiful sun fell from the west, the ugly duckling sees a flock of birds flying up in the forest. The duckling never saw such pretty things. They have long and soft necks, and white and bright feathers. They are flying to a warm country.”

“After a winter, the ugly duckling is surrounded by several swans. She feels ashamed, thinking that she is so ugly, yet the swan kindly pecks her feather...she looks into the pond, suddenly realizing that she is so pretty...Spring comes, sun is very warm, people look at her and start to dance and sing, excitedly yell, “Look! There is a pretty swan!”
    Ning Que picked up the scorched firewood, drew randomly lines on the ground, looked down and told a very old story. This story was so simply, yet so sad and happy. The barbarian boy lied on the princess’s body, largely opened up his eyes and listened. Li Yu herself also gradually felt fascinated by the story. Sang Sang woke up at a time no one noticed. She heard of it when she was really young, but she still quietly listened to it, having a childish smile on her face.

The night got darker, the children who listened the story eventually went into their dreams. Li Yu remained silent for a really long time, suddenly said, “Your story is too deep, Little Wild won’t understand, but I still want to thank you, thank you warning me something...I, like that Mother Duck, will treat him like my own child. He will be my pride. When we return to Chang An, I will never let anyone sneers at him. In the future, whether or not he can fly up like the swan….it depends on himself.”

Ning Que rubbed his head and smiled, said, “Actually, I did not think that much. This is a story I told Sang Sang during childhood. She always thought that she was black and ugly, and therefore had low self-esteem. Therefore I made up this story to comfort her.”

“No matter what, this is a good story.” Li Yu smiled as she looked at him, said, “The ugly Duckling being looked down upon, through her own effort, finally became the lovely and respected swan. This is very encouraging.”

Ning Que’s hand slightly stiffed, looked at him and said seriously, “You are wrong. This story will only cause lots of people to feel hopeless, because the ugly duckling will never become a swan. She….originally was a swan, like you and your child, but real ugly duckling, forever is an ugly duckling.”

Li Yu silently looked at the youngster’s face, thinking about these words, faintly realized something.

Sorry guys i had test yesterday so i forgot to post yesterday's chapter 16 -.- and well so i double posted 16 and 17 together SORRY AGAIN T.T AND yes i will make the edits or errors spotted by you guys. Thanks!! and thanks for the support!!!

EDIT: Supposidly chapter 17 short story has a deeper meaning which i can't understand so if anyone would be kind enough to tell me what it means... I can correct if its true after i consult my fellow translators that understands it. Story has too much plot twists or what you ma call it? foreshadowing and hidden meanings?
    Last edited by binggodude; 03-04-15 at 10:26 PM.

thanks but also i think you should replace me palace it doesn't make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Benedictxxii View Post
    thanks but also i think you should replace me palace it doesn't make sense
    well its suppose to mean like higher class people way of calling themselves that gives them a sense of superiority because of nobility. I don't know what to replace it with honestly =/ I don't' want to give away the feeling the author is trying to say by writing I or me.

Thanks binggodude

DOUBLEEEEE CHAPTER thank you thank you binggodude

maybe try to replace it with something else like myself or exon?(old English for myself)

Instead of me palace, maybe you could use the royal we, or perhaps "this one".

thanks binggodude for the chapters

Thanks binggodude

Double chapter? Ugly Ducks? Hnnnnnnnnnngh. Thank you so much Makes my day better to read your releases
    Back to being a leecher.

well the story of the ugly duckling relates to the child as he is the child of the dead barbarian chieftain. In the society that the 4th princess will bring him, he will be the ugly duckling int the eyes of the people in the tang empire. And it's up to the child to be a beatiful swan or be an ugly duckling forever...

Quote Originally Posted by binggodude View Post
    well its suppose to mean like higher class people way of calling themselves that gives them a sense of superiority because of nobility. I don't know what to replace it with honestly =/ I don't' want to give away the feeling the author is trying to say by writing I or me.
    You could use a royal We, which is kind of the English equivalent

I only understood this far.

The swan was mistaken to be a duckling so others called him ugly duckling but he was in truth a swan. Once he grew up every1 realized he was actually a beautiful swan. However he was not a real ugly duckling he was just a swan mistaken to be an ugly duckling a real ugly duckling that is not a swan is actually ugly will never become the beautiful swan... only a ugly duck.

The princess was originally a swan and not an ugly duckling even tho she was between other ducks. However the real ugly duckling among ducks will only feel hopeless, who he is talking about here, himself, Sang Sang, his enemy or is he generalizing i don't know. Since the next sentence says he faintly realizes something if it has to do with the story then i guess he was generalizing and realized it can actually be applied to his own life. And if he told the story to calm Sang Sang then is she a swan or was he just tricking a child.

As a Scandinavian I recognize this story. ""Hans Christian Andersen, often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; (1805 –1875) was a Danish author. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales + http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ugly_Duckling . I think he is the 2nd most translated child author in the world. Walt Disney's The Little Mermaid and the recent Frozen is based on his fairy tales too.

edit
    Big thanks for translating, you guys are doing a great job
    Happy leacher
    Last edited by Rylai; 03-05-15 at 05:05 PM.