Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 莽荒纪 - The Desolate Era, by I Eat Tomatoes (WITH SPOILERS)

Naah. IET's novel and peaceful? Look at Qin Yu. Started off as the most peaceful of characters and then he murders a hundred bandits in his first fight. Ji Ning on the other hand is in an extremely violent tribe with people already wanting to kill him. I bet he kills someone before he turns 18, karma or no karma

Quote Originally Posted by criticalmind View Post
    Naah. IET's novel and peaceful? Look at Qin Yu. Started off as the most peaceful of characters and then he murders a hundred bandits in his first fight. Ji Ning on the other hand is in an extremely violent tribe with people already wanting to kill him. I bet he kills someone before he turns 18, karma or no karma
    LOL...
    In all IET novels so far, 18 is the latest age for a protagonist's first kill.
    "Swallowed Star" Luo Feng's first kill at around age 18.
    "Inch Mountain" Li Yang's first kill was implied, but not specifically stated, as at around age 18 after entering the military.

I think he doesn't need to be afraid of karma etc since from what I've gathered in chapter 4 it was implied that his training managed to purified his body and soul as pure as a newborn baby(normal one)....
    So doesn't it mean every time he does something bad(killing) all he need it to meditate a bit on Nuwa and viola he'll be purer than before?

Chapter 6 - Path to Immortal Training

I dont know. Please instruct me, father. Ning said respectfully.

Actually, after having read so many books, Ning had learned about it long ago. But as a four year old child, there was no need for him to appear so devilishly intelligent.

Then I will tell you and let you understand. Ishwins voice was like ice. First, lets talk about the seven major stages.

The first stage, Houtian. Lifespan of a hundred years.

The second stage, Xiantian. Lifespan of two hundred years

The third stage, Zifu, the Violet Palace. At this level, one will be addressed as Zifu Disciple. Lifespan of five hundred years.

The fourth stage, Wanxiang, Manifestations. At this level, one will be addressed as Wanxiang Adept. Lifespan of eight hundred years.

The fifth stage, Primordial. Can be referred to as Primordial Master.

The sixth stage, Void. Can be referred to as Land Immortal, or Earth Immortal. In the later levels of the Void stage, a heavenly tribulation will test them. If they fail, then they will die and their spirits will be extinguished. If a Primordials body is destroyed but manages to escape with his soul, then he will become a Loose Immortal, whose power is roughly on par with the Earth Immortals.

The seventh stage, Celestial Immortal. Only at this stage can one be considered to have ascended beyond the Three Realms and no longer be formed by the Five Elements!

Ishwin stared at Ning after speaking. He wanted to see the look of awe and surprise on his sons facebut Ning was just listening intently.

You say you wish to train to become an Immortal. Thus, I wish you to know how hard it is to become an Immortal. Ji Ishwins voice sank down. The first obstacle to becoming an Immortalis to pass from the Houtian stage to the Xiantian stage!

What does Xiantian mean? Only a lifeform which was naturally born by the heavens and the earth can be described as a Xiantian lifeform. In the distant Fiendgod Era, there were Fiendgods that were born naturally by the heavens and by the earth and which possessed tremendous power from their birth. In addition, there are those who are reborn into the Heavenly Realms as Devas or as Asuras. These Devas and Asuras are all birthed by nature itself, and thus by their very nature, they are a Xiantian lifeform. This makes it very fast for them to train, because only Xiantian life forms can train to become an Immortal!

It is impossible for mortals to train to become an Immortalbut the Heavens always leave a thread of hope. Thus, in the past, benevolent elders created a set of training techniques which can allow the bodies of ordinary people become akin to the bodies of Xiantian lifeforms. Only then did it become possible for ordinary people to train to become an Immortal.

But for an ordinary person to become a Xiantian lifeform is against the natural laws of the universe, making it very hard! The success rate is lower than one in ten thousand! Tell me, is it hard or not?

Ning continued to listen.

Xiantian lifeform? If it wasnt for that huge disturbance in the Netherworld Kingdom, he probably would have already reincarnated and become a Deva in the Heavenly Realms. Naturally, that would mean he would already be a Xiantian lifeform. However, currently he was a mortaland indeed, for a mortal to reach the Xiantian stage was an extremely difficult path.

The second great obstacle to becoming an Immortalfrom the Xiantian stage to the Zifu stage!

Only by establishing a Zifu, also known as a Violet Palace, can one continue to train as an Immortal. Establishing a Violet Palace is like laying the foundation when building a house, or seeding the fields in order to harvest the crops. The Violet Palace is the crop field and is the core for an Immortal. It is the basic underpinning of the path of Immortals! Only after one has truly established a Violet Palace in ones body can one embark on the route to becoming an Immortal. And only then can one be titled a Zifu Disciple! For a Xiantian expert to establish a Violet Palaceperhaps one in a thousand will succeed. Tell me, is it hard or not?

Ning nodded.

Right. It was hard.

At the same time, he continued to listen carefully. The books of the Ji clan of the West Prefecture only described these two obstacles. They didnt describe the obstacles after that.

In order to establish a Zifu and become an Immortal, one must possess a world-shaking power.

But becoming an Immortal, by its very nature, is against the laws of the universe. Thus, starting from the day you step onto the path of the Immortals, in other words from the day on which you establish your Zifu, you will be tested every three hundred years. Every nine hundred years, you will undergo a major tribulation. Thus, as the saying goes, Three centuries a disaster, nine centuries a tribulation. Disasters are easy to avoid, but tribulations are hard to escape! A test every three centuries, and a tribulation every nineafter embarking on the path to becoming an Immortal, this will continue forever, unless you become a Celestial Immortal. Otherwise, the Disasters Three, Tribulations Nine will become your eternal fate.

Disasters Three, Tribulations Nine?

Three centuries a disaster, nine centuries a tribulation. Disasters are easy to avoid, but tribulations are hard to escape?

Ning truly was shocked by this. Unless one became a Celestial Immortal, everyone who trained in the path of Immortals would have to deal with a test every three centuries.

Ji Ishwin and Yuchi Snow looked at their son. Right now, there was a look of shock and disbelief on their sons face. Seeing the stunned look, Ishwin nodded slightly. He had finally managed to shock the little rascal.

Our son is still very young. Why did you tell him all those things? Snow said unhappily.

Mother. Ji Ning lifted his head up, a smile on his lips. It is fine.

Ji Ishwin looked at him in surprise.

Father. Ji Ning laughed. From mortal to Xiantian, from Xiantian to Zifu. These two obstacles aloneare extremely difficult. The Disasters Three, Tribulations Nine are very distant and very far off. I dont need to worry about them at all for now.

Mm. Ishwin nodded. Your attitude isnt bad. You are correct. Right now, there truly is no need for you to think about becoming a Zifu Disciple. Thats too far away for you. At the vast area around Mount Swallow, the strongest people in the countless tribes and in the Ji clan are only at the Zifu Disciple level. The path of the Immortals is a hard one. Even our massive Darcian Dynasty would perhaps produce only a single Celestial Immortal in the space of a million years.

Ning nodded gently.

In the Netherworld Kingdom, the Ruler of Cui Palace had told him that the Nuwa Painting would only give him a chance at becoming a Celestial Immortal, and that there were still many obstacles to overcome. And that was assuming that he was going to be a Deva and also a soldier in the armies of Heaven. From this, one could imagine how hard it was for one to become a Celestial Immortal. To escape the confines of the Three Realms and no longer be subject to the Five Elements wasnt so easily done.

Do you still desire to train to become an Immortal? Ishwin looked at Ning.

Yes. Ning nodded.

Ishwin nodded slightly. If the boy had been terrified just by hearing about this, Ishwin would have been disappointed. What he didnt know washow could Ning possibly be scared as easily as this? There was nothing without risk. Even walking on the street, one might be killed by a rock falling down from the skies. Even when eating, one might choke to death. Training to become an Immortal naturally would be extremely risky. It would be bizarre if it wasnt.

However Ishwin frowned. You are too young, and training techniques are very complicated. If I was to transmit a high-class Immortal training technique to you and you trained in a wrong direction, it would harm your body. But ordinary Immortal techniques arent worth learning

Father. Ning said. I wish to learn the Fiendgod Body Refining Technique.

Oh? You know about Body Refining? Ishwin was extremely surprised, and Snow began to laugh. It seems our son has read quite a few books. He even knows that there are two main paths of Immortal training.

There were two primary paths of training to become an Immortal.

The first was in Ki Refining, refining ki energy! 99% of those who trained to become an Immortal chose this path. This path allowed one to use many mysterious Immortal treasures, create complicated golems, control large amounts of deadly magical beasts, develop powerful magical formations, and also use some extremely vile techniquesin a word, this was an extremely glorious and profound path.

The other path was in Body Refining.

Supposedly, the three Realms had each given birth to many Fiendgods. All of them were born from nature itself and were powerful from their birth! As for the creator of the universe, Pangu, he himself was the mightiest of them, the Fiendgod of Primal Chaos. He also possessed the most powerful bodyand thus, a number of elders managed to develop this Fiendgod Body Refining technique, which would allow the practitioners to possess bodies on par with Fiendgods. Indestructible bodies, possession of boundless strength, having three heads and six arms, regenerating from a single drop of blood, immortal and undyingthese all belonged to the Fiendgod Body Refining method.

Reputedly, at the same level of development, a Fiendgod Body Refiner would be able to totally suppress his opponents!

Body Refining is a hundred times more difficult than Ki Refining. Ishwin said seriously. The Fiendgod Body Refining method allows one to possess the power of a Fiendgod. How powerful is that? Hard, very hard

Father, first Ill train the body. Afterwards, I will develop Ki. Ning said. These two training methods can be simultaneously progressed in. By then, Ill take whatever path I am most skilled in, which will be my primary path. In addition, werent you afraid that I am too young and that training in Ki will damage my veins? The Fiendgod Body Refining technique doesnt have this risk.

Ishwin and Snow glanced at each other.

It seemed their son had thought things through. Indeed, the Fiendgod Body Refining technique primarily exercised the entire bodys muscles and internal organs. As for the blood vessels? It didnt have much to do with that at all. It must be known that Innate Fiendgods came in all types, and their veins were totally different from the veins of human beings. The benevolence of those ancestors had developed the Fiendgod Body Refining technique from the bodies of the Fiendgods. Naturally, they ignored the veins.

Alright! Ishwin nodded. The Fiendgod Body Refining method is incomparably precious. Our Ji clan in total has nineteen books on Fiendgod Body Refining scattered through our five prefectures. I will let you choose the one you wish to train in!

Yes. Ning was extremely excited.

Brother Black. Ishwin shouted towards the outside.

A black-haired middle-aged man appeared from outside. His eyes faintly glowed with red light, and his eyes were rather long. It was the human form of that massive black python.

Uncle Black. Ning hurriedly called out. Two years ago, when he was born, he had learned that this black haired man was a Greater Monster who had already trained to reach the Xiantian lifeform stage. Generally speaking, animals who had reached a certain level of intelligence would be called monsters. After beginning to absorb the energy of nature, since they didnt possess special training techniques, it was even harder for them to train than it was for humans. Only when they broke through to become Xiantian lifeforms would they possess the ability to transform themselves!

The black-haired man smiled and nodded. Ishwin, what do you need?

Id like to trouble you to make a journey to the library. Ishwin said. Bring the abridged versions of those nineteen training methods of the Fiendgod Body Refining techniques here. Ning wants to use them.

Ning wants to use them? The black-haired man looked at Ning with a laugh. Someone who trains with the Fiendgod Body Refining would have the power of a Fiendgod. It seems Ning is quite ambitious.

Hua!

The black-haired man disappeared into thin air.

Ning took a deep breath as he waited. Uncle Black spoke the truth. He was indeed ambitious. The first reason was because he knew that due to his youth, his father probably wouldnt allow him to train in Ki Refining. Self-study? Ning didnt have the confidence. The second was that the Fiendgod Body Refining method had some very powerful benefits. To kill a Fiendgod practitioner was more than a thousand times more difficult than to kill a Ki practitioner! Fiendgod Body Refining experts, at the same level, could totally dominate a Ki Refining expert!

They had both strong self-preservation abilities and strong power. Just based on these two alone, Ning took a liking to the Fiendgod Body Refining method.

Hu!

A gentle wind appeared out of nowhere, and the black-haired man appeared in the middle of a hall, a smile on his face. Nineteen copies of abridged versions of Fiendgod Body Refining techniques.

Ning. Ishwin looked at his son. The abridged versions only have the first parts of each Immortal training technique, combined with a summary and description of the technique. Take a close look and see which one you want.

The black-haired man placed the nineteen tomes in front of Ning.

Every single tome was very thin. After all, these were abridged versions. Even if they were stolen, they wouldnt pose a loss for the Ji clan. They couldnt possibly place precious Immortal training copies in their entirety in the library, after all. However, even these abridged versions of the Fiendgod Body Refining werent freely available for others to see. This was why Ishwin had sent the black-haired man to make the trip.

Nineteen tomes.

Ning began to read in earnest.
    Read "The Desolate Era" at http://worldofwatermelons.com!

Next chap is up at worldofwatermelons.com.

oh thanks IEW

Quote Originally Posted by al3xid View Post
    I think he doesn't need to be afraid of karma etc since from what I've gathered in chapter 4 it was implied that his training managed to purified his body and soul as pure as a newborn baby(normal one)....
    So doesn't it mean every time he does something bad(killing) all he need it to meditate a bit on Nuwa and viola he'll be purer than before?
    A viola is a music instrument,you probably meant voila(pretty sure either French or Italian origin of the word).
    Thanks for the chapters IEW(not sure if Internet worked at the time you released the chapter I might have not thanked you)!

Perhaps we will finally see a character from IET that's not heavily hindered in some way though i doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleck3n View Post
    Perhaps we will finally see a character from IET that's not heavily hindered in some way though i doubt it.
    All protaganists need to overcome some challenges, or else they're bland.

Btw, chapter 8 is up on WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Bludflag View Post
    A viola is a music instrument,you probably meant voila(pretty sure either French or Italian origin of the word).
    Thanks for the chapters IEW(not sure if Internet worked at the time you released the chapter I might have not thanked you)!
    np bro, thx for the thx! i've been forgetting to put up the chapters here, so here's a crapload at once! i'll post all the way up to chapter 10 here

Chapter 7 - Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens

One thin abridged book after another was placed on the table, and Ning instantly began to scan the names of each of these books.

[Calamity Fiend] [Indestructible Blood Fiend] [Song of the Inferno] [Vajra Buddhist Sutras] [Freeform Soul] [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] [Eternal Mysteries of the Yellow Earth] [Spirit Fox Sutra] [Sutra of the Future Buddha]

Every single book was covered with ancient, strange-looking characters. Fortunately, Ning had learned these words after Ning had been born into this world.

Ning took a deep breath. This was a critical choice! One which would determine his destiny!

He picked up a book and began to read.

[Calamity Fiend]. To train it, one needed to cover ones body with magic tattoos and use hellfire to temper ones body. It was extremely painful. After covering the body with nine different types of magic tattoos and after having been tempered by hellfire 81 times, the body would totally transform and become that of a Xiantian lifeform, instantly acquiring boundless strength, the ability to belch hellfire, and immediately regrow a severed arm. This was an extremely hard yet extremely fast way of training. Theoretically, one only needed 81 days in order to reach the Xiantian level.

[Indestructible Blood Fiend]. The pain this caused was even greater than that of the [Calamity Fiend] training method. It required three years of magic tattoos, three years of a hellish, tormented existence.

[Song of the Inferno]. This required one to train next to a blazing inferno, then to be engulfed by a blazing inferno, and then finally to enter the lava of a volcano without being harmed at all. It required a person to become one with fire. Once a person could control the limitless power of fire, the one would be considered to have reached the Xiantian level

Reading these three, Ning began to frown.

Why was it that these Fiendgod training methods were all so painful? It was worse than torture!

You foolish child. Snow couldnt help but speak out. Only a few Fiendgod Body Refining methods are truly painful. Only five of these nineteen books are excruciating painful. The others arent nearly as bad. I didnt expect that the first three you picked up

Oh! Ning let out a sigh of relief.

Ishwin, seated nearby, said coldly, Fiendgod Body Refining is far more difficult than Ki Refining. For a mortal to become a Xiantian lifeform is against the natural law of the world. To reach that level through the most difficult method, the Fiendgod Body Refining methodof course it is hard! In addition, these methods which require miserable agony and difficulties, although they are quick, can be considered heterodox methods which cannot be considered to have a good foundation.

Ning nodded as he continued to read.

[Vajra Buddhist Sutras]. This was a type of Buddhist Vajra training method.

[Freeform Soul]. It required an extremely long period of time to train, but after reaching the Xiantian level, it allowed one to freely transform ones body and filled one with life. Even if one was chopped into many tiny pieces, one would quickly reform. This was one of the topmost life-preserving types of Fiendgod Body Training.

[Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens]. Without question, the number one type of Fiendgod Body Training method!

What?!

Nings eyes turned hungry, and he immediately stared at the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] and began to read carefully.

The [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] had nine parts.

The first three levels were for the Houtian stage.

The middle three levels were for Xiantian lifeforms.

The later three levels were for the Zifu stage.

It really is different. Those other training methods, at their peak, only allowed the trainees to become peak Xiantian lifeforms. But this [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] allows a person to reach the peak Zifu level. Ning continued to read carefully despite his excitement.

Upon reaching the Xiantian level, one would be able to control water and fire, and also possess astonishing physical strength. Ones body would be light and agile, and all six of the senses would be sharpened. Severed limbs would regrow.

Upon reaching the Zifu level, one would be able to regenerate from a single drop of blood. Upon reaching the Wanxiang stage, one would have amazing powers, such as growing three heads and six arms, the Sunchaser ability, or Shining Dragon Eyes ability. But of course, the prerequisite was that one would need to be trained in these magical powers.

Fiendgod Body Refining adepts were able to easily suppress Ki Refining adepts of the same level.

But the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] was able to suppress all other types of Fiendgod Body Refining techniques!

This was publicly knowledged!

There was no dispute!

But training in it was extremely hard, the hardest of all. This, too, was undisputed!

That will be my choice! After flipping through the remaining Fiendgod Body Refining books, without hesitating at all, Ning made his choice. [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens]!

Youve chosen? Ishwin looked at his son.

Yes. Ning nodded.

Ishwin said slowly, Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens. This is publicly acknowledged by everyone in the world as the most powerful Fiendgod Body Refining method. It is far more profound than the likes of the Song of the Inferno, the Vajra Buddhist Sutra, or the Calamity Fiend techniques. And thats just at the Zifu level. The later stages of it are even more profound. If you are able to become a Zifu Disciple, it would be very easy for you to advance to higher levels as well.

This is the most widely spread and most easily obtainable type of Fiendgod Body Refining technique. Ishwin looked at his son. But it is also the hardest!

Ning laughed.

He had spent two years here in this world reading many books. He knew that refining techniques were extremely important! The more profound the training technique, the harder it was to train in. For the higher level books regarding the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] to be easily obtainable meant that it was all the more important for him to choose this one.

It has the greatest power! The undisputed best!

It is the most widespread one!

It is the most easily obtainable method!

Ishwin looked at his son. It has countless merits, and just one flaw; it is extremely difficult! There hasnt been a single member of the Ji clan of any of our five Prefectures who managed to reach the fourth part and become a Xiantian lifeform.

What? Not a single member of the Ji clan in all five Prefectures has been able to use it to become a Xiantian lifeform? Ning was shocked.

It was fine if they didnt reach the Zifu stage.

But not even one had reached the Xiantian lifeform stage?

Right. Ishwin said. Not a single one. Because it is simply too hard, far harder than you can imagine. But I must admit that it is the most mysterious and most powerful Fiendgod Body Refining method. Even in the legends of the Fiendgods, this technique is the most powerful one!

Then this will be my choice! Ning didnt hesitate at all.

He was born into the world with the likes of the [Nuwa Painting], one of the highest class Visualization Techniques which would allow him to stand out even amongst the armies of Heaven. With such a firm foundation, how could he not at least give it a shot? Even if he failed, that wouldnt be a big deal. He could then choose to train in another technique.

Fine! Ishwin revealed a rare smile on his face. He was very happy with his sons resoluteness. Then I will go get the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] for you.

Thank you, father. Ning was filled with anticipation.

Dark night.

The door to the room was closed, and inside the room, the arm-thick candles were flickering. There were only three people in the room. Ishwin, Snow, and their son, Ning.

Ning was holding an extremely thick book with scarlet red letters and reading through it. This was the legendary, most powerful of techniques: [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens].

It really is hard. Ning was frowning as he read it.

The [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] had several major obstacles.

The first was the introduction. In order to begin training in it, one had to be able to sense the Great Yang (the Sun) and the Great Yin (the Moon) in the skies. Many other Fiendgod training methods required the absorption of elemental energy, such as fire, water, or electricity in order to build up power. But the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] required its practitioners to immediately begin sensing those two greatest of celestial bodies, and to absorb the energy of the Sun and the Moon.

Many trainees simply couldnt sense the Sun and the Moon at all. And this was just the first step!

Afterwards, by absorbing the energy of the Sun and the Moon, ones entire body would become covered with divine tattoos. This was the second part! After the Divine Sun Tattoo and the Divine Moon Tattoo were completely formed, one could be considered as having completed the first level of the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens]! Actually, from this very first level, one could tell how unimaginably profound this technique was, because many of the other techniques, such as the [Calamity Fiend] technique, all relied on physically carving the magic tattoos onto ones body.

But for the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens], those tattoos would be formed naturally, and the divine tattoos were of the Moon and the Sun!

Once the first level was mastered, one was usually able to easily reach the third level without any problems.

But breaking through to the fourth level and becoming a Xiantian lifeform was even more difficult.

It required Yin and Yang to Fuse, Water and Fire Become One. Only then could one break past and become a Xiantian lifeform.

The later obstaclesthose were too far off. There was no need to worry about them.

Whew. Finishing reading, Ning let out a long breath.

Ishwin and Snow looked at their son.

Father, please instruct me with regards to the mysteries hidden within the first level of the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens]. Ning looked at his father.

Understanding the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] is very easy. Ishwin said. All you need to do is follow the instructions on the pictures. There are nine pictures to the first level. It is very simple.

Ning nodded. He had read many books in this world, and when he flipped through it, he had quickly learned what the training method was. But he was worried that he might have missed some sort of profound meaning. After all, training was something he couldnt be too rash about. Since his father had said that the instructions in this book were very clear, then it was time to start.

Ning closed his eyes and raised his fists, then bowed downthis was the first diagram: Bowing to the Sun and the Moon!

He carried out all of the movements in accordance with the pictures, seeming almost to move in accordance with a strange ritual dance, and his body carried within it a strange, ancient aura.

Hrm? Ishwin was surprised.

His very first attempts at the movement are so accurate and so precise. Snow was surprised as well. Although most people wanted to make the movements properly, they wouldnt actually be able to do so as precisely as they wished. However, Ning had been training in accordance to the [Nuwa Painting] since his birth. His soul was very powerful, and he had extremely strong control over his body as a result. Given that he had also constantly been cleansed by the energy of nature and his soul was as pure as an infants, it was quite natural that he could easily make accurate movements.

Hua!

Nings final movement was to sit down in a kneeling position, his two arms hanging down in front of him, as though one was resting on the sun while the other was resting on the moon.

Utter silence.

Ishwin and Snow were holding their breaths as well. They knew that it was the critical movement. The earlier dancing movements were only for the purpose of allowing one to sense the Great Yang (the Sun) and the Great Yin (the Moon). Whether or not Ning would be able to sense those two most exalted of stellar bodies

Despite this just being the introductory part to the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens], it had prevented countless people from training in it.

The two of them knew that the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] was the hardest Fiendgod Body Refining method to train, and they knew that the chance of their four year old son being able to master the introductory part was very low. However, parents always hoped that their children would succeed. They waited, hoping for a joyous surprise to happen

Book 1, Chapter 8 The Moon in One Hand, the Sun in the Other

Ning could feel his consciousness passing through multiple layers of the worlds obstructions, constantly going forwardafter passing through countless layers, he entered an infinite, endless void. Deep within that infinite void was two incomparably enormous stellar bodies.

One was an enormous stellar body which had huge plumes of raging flames dancing on its surface. It seemed like an enormous ball of flame, and it illuminated the endless void.

The other was covered with a layer of unending ice, with an enormous osmanthus tree in the middle of the ice. The stellar bodys cold light also illuminated part of the world.

These two ancient stellar bodies, one was the Solar Star (the Sun), the other was the Lunar Star (the Moon).

Too beautiful. Too incredible. Ning was absolutely stunned. He felt that he could even see those enormous plumes of flame and see the enormous leaves of the osmanthus tree.

Others, when training in accordance with the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens], found it very hard to even hazily sense the Solar Star and the Star, but Ning could even see the plumes of flame and the leaves on the osmanthus tree.

Within the hall.

Ishwin and Snow were watching in astonishment. They saw countless spots of starlight appear in the area around Ning. The countless spots of starlight were primarily gold and silver in color; scorching hot gold starlight and ice cold silver starlight. They swirled around Ning, not stopping in any location. Slowly, beneath Nings left hand, a miniature star formed beneath his left hand, and on it an Osmanthus Tree could vaguely be seen. This was the Lunar Star.

And on his right hand, there formed a fiery hot miniature star that was surrounded by a flying Golden Crow. This was the Solar Star.

The Solar Star in one hand, and the Lunar Star in the other.

Surrounded by starlight, Nings face seemed so peaceful, so pious.

Thisthis

Ishwin and Snow looked at each other, stunned.

The Moon in one hand and the Sun in the other? Ishwin couldnt help but show his shock on his face, no matter how calm and collected he normally was. The Osmanthus Tree was born on one, and the Golden Crow flies around the other?

The legendary, Moon in one hand, Sun in the other? Snow stared fixedly at the two miniature stellar bodies which had formed in her sons hands. And even the Osmanthus Tree and the Golden Crow have appeared

The two were in a state of absolute shock. They were not ordinary people. Naturally, they knew much more than the common person, and they had personally read the contents of the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] before. They naturally knew what this scene portended. The [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] was extremely difficult to train in, and the training speed would normally be very slow.

There were several types of initiations one might see.

The first type was called, threads of starlight. Only two threads of starlight would slowly enter the body. This was the poorest type of initiation and guaranteed that one would be extremely slow in training.

The second type was called clouds of starlight. A large amount of starlight would surround the body and form a cloud. This was quite good, actually.

The third type, was known as a vortex of starlight, the Moon in one hand, the Sun in the other. Countless flecks of starlight would swirl around the body like a vortex, while the left hand would form a Lunar Star, while the right hand would form a Solar Star. This was the peak result. But if the two miniature stars formed to be so realistic as to even show the Osmanthus Tree on the Lunar Star, Golden Crow on the Solar Star, then this would be the legendary perfect result.

Actually, it wasnt strange for this result to occur.

Ning had trained using the [Nuwa Painting] Visualization Technique since he was born, a technique which even in the Deva realm would be a top class technique. He was even capable of dividing his mind. One could imagine how powerful his soul had become. And in addition, after being born, every day he had been nurtured and cleansed by natural elemental energy, rendering his body as pure as a newborn infants body, without any impurities. The purity of his body was on par with a Xiantian lifeform!

His body was as pure as a Xiantian lifeforms.

His soul was so powerful that he could divide his mind.

With these two strengths combined, it was natural that he would have the utmost aptitude for Fiendgod Body Refining.

For my son to have this sort of natural gift Snows face had turned red, and she was so excited that her body was shaking. Ishwin, the Moon in one hand, and the Sun in the other. Osmanthus Tree was born, and the Golden Crow flies! This is something out of the legends! Our son will definitely have great accomplishments when training in accordance to the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens].

Right. Ishwin was very excited as well.

When his son was born, he had sensed that his sons arteries were very weak, and his bones were very ordinary as well. Although he knew that his son had been injured in the womb, he was still somewhat disappointed, because he knewin this brutal, man-eat-man world, anyone who had no power would find it hard to live a good life. While he was alive, he could protect his son, but what if he died?

This is my son! The son of Ji Ishwin! Ishwin held his wifes hand tightly, and the two stared with excitement and hope towards their son.

Which parents didnt hope that their children would fly like dragons?

Nings eyes were closed, and he continued to sit on his knees, holding his two hands in front of him limply, with the Lunar Star in one, and the Solar Star in the other.

Those two miniature floating Solar Star and Lunar Stars were separately transmitting energy nonstop into Nings body. The power of the Sun and the power of the Moon were quickly absorbed by the ravenous cells in his body, and Nings entire musculature and bone structure were undergoing constant transformations.

Swish A layer of ice suddenly appeared on the beast fur clothes which Ning was wearing.

But then, Crackle crackle crackle. The back of Nings clothes suddenly began to burn with fire.

Both frozen and blazing.

This constant interchange was resulting in his furs starting to split apart.

Hrm? Ishwin frowned. He pointed with a finger, and a ray of blue flowing light leaped out of his finger towards Nings back, and the already half-ragged fur clothes totally split apart and collapsed, leaving Nings back totally bare. On Nings tender, young back, there was silver light flashing on the left, while golden light flashing on the right.

On the left, frozen side, the silver light was constantly flowing and slowly forming into a pattern.

On the right, blazing side, the golden light was also constantly flowing and also formed a separate pattern.

Divine Tattoos! Snow said softly. The very first time he trains, he is already beginning to form the Divine Tattoos. Given this tattoo forming speed, in ten days or so the tattoo will have been fully formed. By then, the first level of the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] will be done.

Right. Ishwin watched quietly.

Time passed

The Divine Tattoos on Nings youthful back continued to grow. One could faintly tell that the left tattoo was that of a rabbit, while the right side was that of a crow.

The two great Divine Tattoos. The Divine Moon Tattoo was that of the Moon Rabbit, while the Divine Sun Tattoo was that of the Golden Crow.

Hu. Ning suddenly let out a long breath and opened his eyes. The Divine Tattoos on his back disappeared as well, and the two stellar bodies in his hands quickly dissipated. This caused Ning to be greatly startled. He had carefully read the [Scarlet Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens], and he knew exactly what it meant for him to have the Moon in one hand, the Sun in the other, especially with the Osmanthus Tree being born and the Golden Crow flying.

What a powerful force. Ning clenched his fists, feeling his body surge with power. Im just a four year old child and Ive just been initiated into the Fiendgod Body Refining method, but I already am this strong.

Suddenly, a cold voice rang out.

Put on a change of clothes. With a wave of his hands, his father Ishwin made a set of childrens fur clothes appear out of midair, then tossed it to his son.

Yes. Ning immediately grabbed it.

Snow was still looking at her son, her face filled with joy. The more she looked at him, the happier she felt. Her son was her pride and her joy. On the day he was born, she had been worried about her sons futurebut now, her son had demonstrated such inconceivable potential. As a mother, in her heart, naturally she felt filled with joy.

Ning. Ishwin said calmly.

Father. Ning listened carefully.

Your potential is extraordinary. However, if you wish to break through the bottleneck of ordinary lifeforms and become a Xiantian lifeform, and then embark on the road to becoming an Immortal, potential alone isnt enough. Ishwin looked at his son. You need to receive the best instruction possible.

Ning said respectfully, Father, please instruct me.

Snow. Ishwin looked at his wife, Yuchi Snow. She nodded, and with a flip of her hand, two items appeared. One was a deep green gemstone, roughly the size of a fingernail. It was cut and very beautiful. The other was a flashing, rainbow-colored, fist-sized rock.

This deep green stone is known as a kalestone. Snow smiled. This is a naturally forming gemstone which contains a miniature dimension inside of it. You can use it as part of a ring and store small items in it, or you can hide and store it within your belt. All you need to do to make it yours is to bind it with blood.

Kalestone! Ning was overjoyed.

Training to become an Immortal was divided into two paths; the Body Refining path and the Ki Refining path.

Body Refiners belonged to the Fiendgod path and didnt teach someone how to use magical treasures.

Ki Refiners, after becoming Xiantian lifeforms, would be able to control a few low level treasuresbut even the lowest of manufactured treasures had a minimum requirement of the user being a Ki Refiner of the Xiantian level. Thus, most Fiendgod Body Refiners would also concurrently train in Ki.

However, Heaven always gave people a chance.

There were some naturally occurring objects which only needed to be bound by blood and didnt have any strength requirements. kalestone was one of them!

Bind it first. Snow handed the kalestone and a shortsword over.

Yes, Mother. Ning accepted them. He didnt hesitate at all, as he gently pricked his finger with the edge of the shortsword. A single drop of blood fell onto the kalestone and was quickly absorbed, giving the kalestone a hint of a blood color.

Get in. Ning willed the shortsword in his hand to disappear, and it did, reforming and floating within the miniature dimension inside the kalestone.

Come out. The shortsword appeared in his hands.

How magical. Ning was absolutely delighted.

He knew long ago that these naturally occurring dimensional gemstones existed. They werent like those manufactured treasures, which all had relatively large internal dimensions. The kalestone, as a naturally occurring object, had a much smaller internal dimension. Some were only the size of a fist or a head! These half-meter long ones were definitely an extremely precious treasure.

Mother. Ning hurriedly said. Please help me make a belt and put the kalestone inside of it.

Alright. Snow nodded. The kalestone can be considered a treasure, but to our Ji clan, it isnt something particularly valuable. Given your fathers statusa kalestone isnt even worth discussing! However, the other treasure is something which your father only obtained after a life-and-death crisis!

Snow solemnly handed over the fist-sized rock which shone with the colors of the rainbow.

Bind it. Snow looked at her son.

Ning stuck out his finger and once more pricked it gently with the shortsword. A single drop of blood fell onto that flashing rainbow stone. The blood was quickly absorbed, and inside the rock, countless red arteries could suddenly be seen. And then, the fist-sized rock turned into a liquid and flowed towards Ning.

Whats this? Ning felt his entire body turn cold.

It is like the kalestone. It is a naturally occurring treasure. The name of this treasure is the Goldstar Shirt. Snow explained. You can use it immediately after binding it. It will quickly enter and become part of your skin. With the protection of the Goldstar Shirtnothing below the Xiantian lifeform level will be able to harm you with its attacks.

Ning was shocked. So powerful?

He had never read of this in any of the books.

The Darcian Dynasty, from the Fiendgod Era until now, has existed for countless of years, and the territory it rules over is vast. In the area around Swallow Mountain, our Ji clan reigns supreme. But in some of the more distant areasthere are clans that are even more powerful than our Ji clan. Ishwin said. In some of those ancient, mighty clans, some of the promising young youths, while they are still young, they will be given this Goldstar Shirt to help protect them.

Ning was startled. Turning to look at his father, he felt a warm feeling in his heart.

His parents truly were very good to him.

Book 1, Chapter 9 Archery

Although the Goldstar Shirt is a treasure, I can break through it with a casual finger poke. Ishwin looked at his son. These things are all external. In the future, you must have accomplishments in the Fiendgod Body Refining techniques, and in term, Fiendgods specialize in body power. What you need to do is to utilize all of your potential and all of your strength.

Right. Ning nodded seriously.

With the Fiendgod Body Refining, your strength will be great, your movements will be fast, your vision will be clear at great distances, your hearing will be more sensitive, and even your bodys recovery ability will be astonishing! Ishwin looked at his son. In order to transform these into true, mighty power

First of all, what you need is a weapon! Ishwin said. Your strength might be ten times greater than your opponents, but your opponent might be able to shoot you to death from afar with an arrow. Thats what makes a good weapon so powerful.

In addition, you must be good at actually wielding a weapon. For example, a swordsman who has no internal strength but who has reached the second level of sword mastery, man and sword become one, is capable of easily piercing the throat of a powerful yet inexperienced warrior. After all, no matter how much internal strength the warrior has, he cant block the sharpness of a sword! Ishwin said slowly.

Ning understood this logic of course.

A powerful but stupid brute who encountered an assassin who was good at wielding shortswords would die in a single exchange of blows!

A strong body was just one aspect. Skill and technique was what determined how much of your power would be actually utilized! For example, in his past life, those competitors in the kickboxing or jujitsu competitions all were roughly on the same level in terms of physical fitness; it was technique and battle strategy which determined their competiveness.

Tell me, what do you want to learn? Ishwin looked at his son.

Ning, son, think carefully. Snow looked at her son as well.

Actually, in their hearts, they had already mapped out a plan for their son. After all, as they saw it, their son was still too young, even though he was smart and capable. But they still wanted to ask their son what he wanted, so as to help him learn to think everything through. And then, they would tell him what they thought and let him reflect on the differences.

I want to learn three things. Ning suddenly said.

First of all, I wish to learn archery. Ning said.

He was to walk on the Fiendgod Body Refining path. He would possess astonishing eyesight, and also enormous, heaven-granted strength. Naturally, he had to learn archery. The arrows released by a mighty Fiendgod was definitely capable of breaking past the sound barrier, and the power of its arrows was definitely far greater than the bullets of sniper rifles in his past life. He could kill his opponent from far away. And archery, according to the books he had read, wasnt too hard to learn.

Second, I want to learn how to use twin swords!

The Ji clan specialized in sword techniques!

His father Ishwin was nicknamed the Raindrop Sword. With a resource such as this at his disposal, he absolutely had to learn how to use swords!

Twin swords? Ishwin frowned. Continue.

Third, I need to learn agility-enhancing techniques and escaping techniques. Ning said. These are what I need.

If he encountered a powerful opponent, he would flee!

Only escaping techniques would allow a person to live longer. And the longer one lived, the more possibilities one would have.

Snow laughed. Ning is headed in the right direction. However, I think its best if you first start with single swordsthere isnt a single twin sword expert in the entire Ji clan, and when training in swords, the greatest danger is in losing concentration. You must focus all of your concentration on a single sword. Only this will allow you to achieve greater accomplishments.

Your mothers words are correct. Ishwin looked at his son.

Father, mother, Ive been able to divide my mind since I was born. Ning raised his head to look at his parents. He wasnt able to explain about the [Nuwa Painting], and so he just had to claim that he was able to divide his mind since he was born.

What?!

Divide your mind?

Ishwin and Snow were both shocked.

Do you know what dividing your mind means? Ishwin growled. It isnt as simple as multitasking. It means that your mind can simultaneously contemplate two separate matters without losing any effectiveness or causing any disruption.

I truly can divide my mind. Ning said hurriedly.

Then lets give it a test. Ishwins eyes began to glow with an astonishing light. With one hand, he pulled over two pieces of chalk. Use these two rocks to write on the ground. With your left hand, write your mothers name, while with your right hand, write my name. Write simultaneously!

Yes, father. Ning nodded.

Ning took the two pieces of chalk. It felt rather similar to the chalk he had used in his previous life. Immediately, he began to use his hands to write as instructed. Writing with the chalk actually felt quite natural.

Hua! Hua!

His left hand and right hand easily wrote at the same time, and what he wrote was the ancient, complicated script of this world. On one side, he wrote the name, Ji Ishwin. On the other, Yuchi Snow. His strokes were firm and very graceful.

Ning, you Snow was stunned.

But Ishwin was stunned as well.

No wonder. No wonder you were able to train in the [Red Diagram of the Nine Shining Heavens] so quickly. Ishwin said slowly. So our sons soul is so powerful that he can divide his mind!

Ishwin looked at his son as though he were looking at a piece of priceless, unpolished jade. Extremely excited, he said, Ive only been able to reach the level of dividing my mind because Ive trained for so long. However, Ive focused on using a single sword since was I was youngmy path is set, and hard to change! But my son is able to divide his mind since birthhe is a born twin sword user. He will be able to use twin swords as though two people were wielding them and make his opponents feel like they are being attacked by two people at once. Whats more, those two people will have their hearts and intentions totally linked, increasing the effectiveness ten times over!

From today onwards, I will personally train you in using swords! Ishwin looked at his son.

Early next morning.

The thick natural energy of the world filled the hazy morning. Ning had already been brought by his father to the training grounds.

Ning. Ishwin looked at his son, then pointed at a nearby fur-clad, bearded man. This is the number one expert archer of the Ji clan of the West Prefecture. His name is Blindfish. His archery skills are extremely high. Blindfish, come, let the little fellow see what you are all about.

Yes. Blindfish said respectfully.

Ishwin walked in front of them towards four marble tablets, each one of them weighing several hundred pounds. Ishwin grabbed one of them, then threw it far away into the distance, and then grabbed another one and tossed that one as well. In the blink of an eye, all four of them were howling through the air.

These massive, heavy tablets were thrown with such force that they made the air howl. They were like four missiles, and had transformed into black dots in the sky.

Hrm. A pitch-black greatbow appeared in the hands of the bearded man, Blindfish, along with four arrows. He raised his bow high.

Shua! Shua! Shua! Shua!

Four arrows flashed through the skies, disappearing almost instantly as they chased after those four black dots. Pengpengpengpeng!!!!! Those four black dots totally disappeared.

Ning gaped at the sight.

He gaped for a long time.

When father tossed those heavy stones, he threw them at least one or two kilometers and turned them into missiles? Ning felt stunned. And this Blindfishs arrowsI felt like, in the blink of an eye, in less than a second, they arrived at that distance of a kilometer or two away. If we calculate it carefullythese arrows must have at least travelled at the speed of nearly two thousand meters a second.

The legendary god, Houyi, once sent out nine arrows in a row and shot and killed nine Golden Crows. Blindfish laughed loudly. Young master, I only possess some superficial skills.

Master Blindfish, the rubble wont hit or hurt anyone when it falls, will it? Ning suddenly remembered to ask this question.

Ishwin shook his head. Ning, your Master Blindfish is a Xiantian lifeform, and has infused his arrows with his own innate energy. When the arrows reached the tablets, they immediately blew the tablets into dust which will drift down slowly. How can there be rubble which would smash anyone?

Ning was secretly shocked.

Formidable indeed.

From today onwards, every morning, you will come train with your Master Blindfish for an hour in archery. Ishwin said. This can be considered your morning exercises. Blindfish, sorry to trouble you.

To be able to teach the young master is Blindfishs glory. Blindfish laughed loudly.

Ishwin nodded, then turned and left.

The entire training yard was very quiet. Only Blindfish and Ning were there. Not even a servant was present.

Young master. Blindfish looked at Ning. To an archer, the most important thing is his bows and arrows. The arrow is divided into three parts; the arrowhead, the arrow shaft, and the feathers. As for the bow, it is comprised of the bowstring and the body. Arrows can be made in large quantities, but bows are far more precious!

There are two types of bows.

The first type of bow is made from an elastic bow body and a tough bowstring. When drawing the bow, the body of the bow will curveand that is where the power comes from, the curving of the bows body. This is the most commonly seen type of bow, and is a fairly simple type of archery. It is easy to produce, and ordinary archers use it.

The second type of bow has a tough, inflexible bow body and an elastic bowstring. When pulling the bow, the bows body will essentially remain firm, while the bowstring will be pulled to an astonishing elastic length. This bow in my hand is that sort of bow!

Blindfish handed the pitch-black greatbow in his hands to Ning.

Ning accepted this simple greatbow, and he instantly felt its weight. This greatbow was at least a hundred pounds heavy. He couldnt help but stare at it carefully. The body of the greatbow was made from some sort of pitch-black metal which gleamed. The bowstring, however, was as thick as a finger, and carried a blue color. A terrifying fiendish aura could dimly be sensed as coming from the bowstring.

This bow body was forged from thunderwind metal and is incomparably tough. But the bowstring is even more preciousit was made from one of the draconic tendons of a Greater Monster that was slain, a Dragonsnake. It possesses astonishing elasticity. Even if my strength was ten times greater, I wouldnt be able to break it. Blindfish laughed. The name I gave my bow is Thunderdragon Bow.

Nings eyes shone as he listened. A bowstring made from the tendons of a Dragonsnake, a Greater Monster?

Come, lets begin to learn the proper stance. With a flip of his hand, Blindfish produced an ordinary bow.

Standing shot stance, crouching shot stance, backwards shot stance, falling shot stance, running shot stance! Blindfish looked at Ning. Young master, your training will be divided into two segments. The first is the basic segment. The second is the mental segment.

In the basic segment, you need to practice those five stances to the point where hand, eye, and arrow become one. You must always hit your target. Only then can you move to the next segment.

In the mental segment, the stances are no longer important. The only thing you need is for your mind and arrow to become one. You no longer need to use your eyes to see. Thats simply too slow. You must rely on your mind! In the blink of an eye, you will draw your bow and fire your arrows upon your target as fast as lightning. In a truly critical situation, you only have a heartbeat to do what you need. Nobody will give you a chance to slowly aim. When you have mastered the mental segment, then you will have completed your apprenticeship.

Ning listened and nodded.

And then, according to Blindfishs instructions, he began to train in the proper stance.

Waist straight! Left arm extended!

Thats the correct posture for drawing the bow. Stay in that posture!

Eyes! Eyes! Are your eyes blind?

As soon as he began teaching in earnest, Blindfish began to roar at him. The ignorant Ning was like a piece of white parchment. Howled at again and again, Ning could do nothing but endure it and slowly learn.

A ten thousand meter high building is still built up from the ground floor. An expert archer had to start with the basics as well.

Thank you for all the hard work

Wow... 3 Chapter... you're on roll.... Thanks again...

awesome, thanks Watermelons!

Quote Originally Posted by faerro View Post
    awesome, thanks Watermelons!
    its true, you are really awesome Watermelons

Thanks! I like to wait so i have a few chapters to read at once, so i am psyched i don't need to wait! Quick question, how many chapters does I Eat Tomatoes have of this so far?

I turned off my ad-block on your site, i hope it helps.
    Last edited by irondruid7; 03-04-15 at 11:45 AM.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

You sir are awesome!
    I may not look like much, but I'm an expert at pretending to be a ninja.

Thanks Watermelons