Thread: OFFICIAL Peerless Sword (無雙劍) Translation News Thread

Default OFFICIAL Peerless Sword (無雙劍) Translation News Thread

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/njz4xcV.jpg')

Hey everyone! I'm setting up this thread as the place where I will post news/updates about the Peerless Sword translation project I am working on. If you would like to support the project, you can see more about it at my website. The picture above is taken from that page.

For this first post I can just say that I have the official page up at my website, which I just linked to above. That is the general information page for the project. My blog, at the same site, will be where I post updates for the project, as well as updates for my Wuxia Magazine project that is also forthcoming, as well as other updates/news/thoughts about wuxia. I also have a Wuxia Wiki project going, but no link to it yet as it is still in its infancy.

I am still in the early stages of translating Peerless Sword. It's a four-volume, 1,200 page novel, so it will be a while. I also have to edit/revise it after I finish the first draft. I might publish the novel in multiple volumes. If so then the first volume will likely be published before the entire translation is completed, but this is all just an idea at the moment. Nothing set in stone as of yet.

Would you all be interested in conducting an interview with Qin Hong, the author of Peerless Sword? I was thinking you guys could post your questions in this thread, and then if Qin Hong is willing, get him to answer those questions (I would translate his answers into English, of course). I don't know if he would want to do it, but I can ask him if that's something you all would like. He was active in the wuxia community in Taiwan during the 60s-80s. He knew all the big authors, including Gu Long, though I don't know if they were close or not. Anyway, if you like the idea just let me know.

Any questions or comments about this project can be posted in this thread as well.

Can you please add summary for the novel please?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen5000 View Post
    Can you please add summary for the novel please?!!
    Summary is on the page I linked to in the first post. Here

Quote Originally Posted by whiteskwirl View Post
    Summary is on the page I linked to in the first post. Here
    Sorry, missed the summary but now i see it looks good
    Waiting for your translations

I would love to donate,but I am the penniless and gredy type(when it comes to money,I want it badly but have to spend it which I dislike,I would love to save up for a new PC,but the best I can do is hope to win a give away),a shame since I want to read this one(actual sword fighting,yay(hopefully,but I`m optimistic when it comes to literature)!).

Quote Originally Posted by Bludflag View Post
    I would love to donate,but I am the penniless and gredy type(when it comes to money,I want it badly but have to spend it which I dislike,I would love to save up for a new PC,but the best I can do is hope to win a give away),a shame since I want to read this one(actual sword fighting,yay(hopefully,but I`m optimistic when it comes to literature)!).
    Well, it will be awhile before the book is published, so there's plenty of time to save up.

hey buddy, tried to donate, but I got this message: "Currently PayPal accounts in Taiwan are only able to send payments. This recipient is not eligible to receive funds."
    Read "The Desolate Era" at http://worldofwatermelons.com!

Quote Originally Posted by IEWatermelons View Post
    hey buddy, tried to donate, but I got this message: "Currently PayPal accounts in Taiwan are only able to send payments. This recipient is not eligible to receive funds."
    Thanks for letting me know. Sometimes living in Taiwan is a pain. And thanks for trying to donate!

Did you try to donate through your paypal account, or did you try to use a credit card?
    Last edited by whiteskwirl; 03-09-15 at 10:57 PM.

Peerless Sword will be the first official wuxia novel translation to be published since Gu Long’s novel The Eleventh Son was published by Homa & Seka Books in 2004.
    If ebook also count as a publication then I believed the latest would be The Flower Guarding Bells which is translated by a spcnet translator.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...=2940014041379

Quote Originally Posted by dexter64 View Post
    If ebook also count as a publication then I believed the latest would be The Flower Guarding Bells which is translated by a spcnet translator.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...=2940014041379
    I don't think that's an authorized translation.

I don't think that's an authorized translation.
    Really? I don't think Amazon and B&N are willing to sell illegal work, unless if the novel has already been in public domain.

From what I remember, the translator said that he found a publisher. I assumed that the publisher would handle the legal stuffs, including the authorization.
    Last edited by dexter64; 03-09-15 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter64 View Post
    Really? I don't think Amazon and B&N are willing to sell illegal work, unless if the novel has already been in public domain.
    I don't know for sure. But I remember there being some controversy over its publication, something about the translator not having the translation rights or an ISBN number (the latter isn't technically necessary anyway).

@IEWatermelons: I just talked to Paypal people on the phone and apparently there has been a new policy change for Taiwan: paypal accounts in Taiwan can no longer receive payment. That's actually a pretty big problem for me and this translation project. But anyway, thanks for wanting to donate.

I don't know for sure. But I remember there being some controversy over its publication, something about the translator not having the translation rights or an ISBN number (the latter isn't technically necessary anyway).

@IEWatermelons: I just talked to Paypal people on the phone and apparently there has been a new policy change for Taiwan: paypal accounts in Taiwan can no longer receive payment. That's actually a pretty big problem for me and this translation project. But anyway, thanks for wanting to donate.
    damn, that sucks bro. gl with ur project
    Read "The Desolate Era" at http://worldofwatermelons.com!

whieskwirl, don't want to bring your other output here to a stop but what is the current state of this one? I would be willing to throw some dollars at you :-)