Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: The Year of Chameleon

  1. #1
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default The Year of Chameleon

    Currently watching this series and thought it was pretty good. This is one of the bigger roles I've seen Wong Mei in. I think she's very pretty here. I thought Eric and Joey were really cute here. I like Annie and Gilbert because I really like them from Heroine of the Yang's but thought it was sad when Annie left Eric.

  2. #2
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    I thought it was one of ATV's stranger series. It was not bad but not my cup of tea. Not something I would like to watch again. The first half was very suspenseful, filled with interesting twists and subplots as well as a lot of guest stars. But it was getting really annoyingly draggy towards the end when people started dying off, Joey left Eric, Gilbert died, Wong Mei's character got really bland. etc... I would have rathered ATV shortened it by 10-15 eps instead of dragging it out to 1997.

    As someone who enjoyed the original "Chameleon" series back in the 1970's, I don't see the connection between "The Year of the Chameleon" except for Lau Chi Wing's character who was supposed to be the same guy in the old series, but yet his history did not match the little known sequel made straight after the original series.

    As a separate series by itself, I though YOTC had a splendid cast. It had a good balance of veterans (Lau Wing, Lui Yau Wai, Lau Chi Wing, Tse Shuet Sam, Ban Ban, etc..) as well as new faces (Joey, Annie, Gilbert, Wong Mei, Chapman, Chung Yeung, etc..). I really did not know where Eric sits as he has been around since the early 80's yet he is not old. But everyone had chemistry.

    Plot-wise, I thought it really had potential. Using the real-life Deng family inheritance lawsuit as a background, it created a realistic story where family members plotted against each other for money. But it got really tiring after a while and I thought Eric entered the battle too late. Eric and Joey were really cute together, but it is strange as i actually liked the idea of Eric pairing with Annie then Gilbert came down the stairs so then I changed ships.

    Looking back, it was kind of meant to be since Annie never really loved Eric like a lover. They were more like family or buddies. He was good support but he never gave her any intensity. She sort of accepted him and everyone around them said they were a pair. She could have married him and been OK, but when there was another guy to compare Eric with, her true feelings came out. And it was for the better since after Gilbert appeared, she could not have pretended to love Eric and marry him. She would have been miserable and then Eric would have been miserable, so better they split and Eric find happiness.
    Last edited by charbydis; 05-16-15 at 08:40 AM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  3. #3
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    I've never seen the 1970's one. How is that one?
    yes, sometimes the series drag but still enjoy the series. Eric been around but I think he never got lead roles or was just second lead until my date with a vampire. I think he's a pretty good actor.

  4. #4
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I've never seen the 1970's one. How is that one?
    yes, sometimes the series drag but still enjoy the series. Eric been around but I think he never got lead roles or was just second lead until my date with a vampire. I think he's a pretty good actor.
    The 1970's version is OK. It talks more about how a person gradually gets corrupted by societal values and changed without themselves knowing. It talks about the dark side of humanity but the ending is still hopeful. The pacing can be slow at times but it has a lot of interesting twists along the way. I think the Lau Chi Wing's Ho Sing is the most interesting character as he steps over the boundaries of right and wrong onto the path of no return.

    I think Eric is a marvelous actor. He is not handsome by my standards but he is very charismatic on screen. He is a scene stealer. I didn't appreciate him when I was younger but now as I watch more of his series, he really shows his versatility and acting skills. And he is very easy going and professional as well. I am sad that he does not act anymore. I hope some of the new TV companies will pick him up and he can appear on the screen again.

    Anyhow, back to YOTC 97, I remember I got really angry about two-thirds through the series when Annie's brother died (I can't remember the details, did Gilbert kill him or was it Wong Mei who ordered it?). He was one of my favourite characters and then Joey's mum died in a car crash (who was also the other character I liked) so I stopped watching for about half a year before I finished the rest off.I don't know if I would want to rewatch it again.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  5. #5
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    I only saw couple episodes here and there of what I can find. Does Annie's character die? Eric only does behind the scenes work now right? Yes I agree he is very good. Wong Mei retired?

    Ho sing is a very interesting character. Does he end up with the girl he saves?

  6. #6
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I only saw couple episodes here and there of what I can find.
    I found ep 24 onwards here but you may be able to finds the remaining eps scattered on youtube here and there.

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...JXanEovJomPQmL

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Does Annie's character die? Eric only does behind the scenes work now right? Yes I agree he is very good. Wong Mei retired?
    I am not sure what Eric does now. But Wong Mei working in the business sector. She quite well educated.

    Annie's character nearly died from bone cancer and she needed a bone marrow transplant. They tested a lot of people and finally found a match. She was cured and became a volunteer for some charity. Some years down the track, she found out that the bone marrow donor was Gilbert but their feelings for each other had changed. She forgave him for dumping her and for inadvertently causing her brother's death. She was one of the rare characters with the happy endings as she finally found peace.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Ho sing is a very interesting character. Does he end up with the girl he saves?
    Yes. He did. But I can't remember they got married or just lived together.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  7. #7
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Thanks for the link.

    Wow that must have been quick a shock for Annie to find out Gilbert was the bone marrow donor.

    I thought Wong Mei is a pretty good actress. I miss her. Her character in justice pao was good, it made me sad, the story where she was plotting revenge on the guy and his family. She really love the guy but he just wanted a one night stand and then her daughter dies. She was evil but yet when she told her story, I was more mad at the guy. Did she have a lot of big roles in atv back then?

    As for Eric, the last series he did was in mainland I believe. But yeh more behind the scenes now I think.
    miss watching him in series.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    When you mention wong mei is in the business sector now, it kind of reminds me of strawberry yeung. Do you know what wong yim na ( the girl who plays ling er from heroic legend of the yang family) does now? I really like her too, seem like she had some big roles then it just got smaller and smaller. I read somewhere she change careers and left entertainment back in 1998 or so.

  9. #9
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    When you mention wong mei is in the business sector now, it kind of reminds me of strawberry yeung. Do you know what wong yim na ( the girl who plays ling er from heroic legend of the yang family) does now? I really like her too, seem like she had some big roles then it just got smaller and smaller. I read somewhere she change careers and left entertainment back in 1998 or so.
    Yeah, I remember Wong Yim Na! She was Andrew's junior martial sister in "The Snow is Red"! I think she is pretty but she has fierce eyes which makes her well suited for ancient roles. Now that I have found some eps of "Magical Crane Divine Needles", I realised that she played Yvonne's maid. She is not working anymore. She did some series with David Chiang, Liza Wang and Tats Lau which was a collaboration between Mainland China and ATV in 1999 or 2000, then retired from TV afterwards. I think she opened a boutique or some beauty salon, but have no idea how she is now.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  10. #10
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Wow that must have been quick a shock for Annie to find out Gilbert was the bone marrow donor.
    I don't really remember but it wasn't really dramatic since she had long finished shedding tears over the soft-rice king. I think after her illness, she saw things in a different perspective and found romance to be not so important after all. She was happy to forgive him and move on with her life. And he needed the forgiveness as his conscience was starting to get to him.

    I believe "Ben (Gilbert)" never stopped caring for "Siu Kan (Annie)" whatever his choice had been. He does truly love his wife but he keeps it separate to how he feels about Siu Kan. After all, they did really try very hard to get married despite his mum's objections and were very close once upon a time. They might not love each other romantically as they used to but you can't ignore that level of affection that you once genuinely had. And he really felt guilty about dumping her in her wedding dress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I thought Wong Mei is a pretty good actress. I miss her. Her character in justice pao was good, it made me sad, the story where she was plotting revenge on the guy and his family. She really love the guy but he just wanted a one night stand and then her daughter dies. She was evil but yet when she told her story, I was more mad at the guy. Did she have a lot of big roles in atv back then?
    ATV didn't have much actress to choose from so if Wong Mei was not second lead, she was at least third or a first lead in a substory. But she did have some very good roles and she was an expert in evil roles. She brought out that ruthlessness or pride that other actresses at the time could not. She had one or two lead roles but I guess because she is not traditionally beautiful, the audience prefer gentle looking female leads even though their acting was not as good as her. Wong Mei has her own charisma in both ancient and modern and period roles.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  11. #11
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    I miss wong yim na, her role in snow is red was quite sad. She really love the guy but he didn't like her at all.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I don't really remember but it wasn't really dramatic since she had long finished shedding tears over the soft-rice king. I think after her illness, she saw things in a different perspective and found romance to be not so important after all. She was happy to forgive him and move on with her life. And he needed the forgiveness as his conscience was starting to get to him.

    I believe "Ben (Gilbert)" never stopped caring for "Siu Kan (Annie)" whatever his choice had been. He does truly love his wife but he keeps it separate to how he feels about Siu Kan. After all, they did really try very hard to get married despite his mum's objections and were very close once upon a time. They might not love each other romantically as they used to but you can't ignore that level of affection that you once genuinely had. And he really felt guilty about dumping her in her wedding dress.



    ATV didn't have much actress to choose from so if Wong Mei was not second lead, she was at least third or a first lead in a substory. But she did have some very good roles and she was an expert in evil roles. She brought out that ruthlessness or pride that other actresses at the time could not. She had one or two lead roles but I guess because she is not traditionally beautiful, the audience prefer gentle looking female leads even though their acting was not as good as her. Wong Mei has her own charisma in both ancient and modern and period roles.
    Ahh good to know that annie and gilbert had closure.

    I like wong mei and yes she is very good at evil roles. I know Joey and Erica was very popular back then. Then Kristy and Alice came along, so maybe that's why wong mei wasn't promoted as much? I'm not sure. Just rewatching some old series since I miss her acting.

    I didn't know wong yim na is the maid, I will look into it after. Thanks.

  13. #13
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I like wong mei and yes she is very good at evil roles. I know Joey and Erica was very popular back then. Then Kristy and Alice came along, so maybe that's why wong mei wasn't promoted as much? I'm not sure. Just rewatching some old series since I miss her acting.
    Wong Mei always get stuck in evil roles or the third wheel. It is a pity. She reminds me of Elena and how she was underpromoted at ATV. But glad Elena is at TVB now.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  14. #14
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    I think Elena was very good in a lawyer can be good. But then I think that's her biggest role I've seen with atv. She was a villain in legend dream name desire but she did a really good job. Very scary lady. Maybe they did not have enough series to promote he back then? I'm not sure. I think pinky cheung was also under promoted.

  15. #15
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I think Elena was very good in a lawyer can be good. But then I think that's her biggest role I've seen with atv. She was a villain in legend dream name desire but she did a really good job. Very scary lady. Maybe they did not have enough series to promote he back then? I'm not sure. I think pinky cheung was also under promoted.
    Elena did great as villain in "Legend: A Dream Named Desire" and the twin villains in "Light of Million Hope". I think Elena's problem was that she looked quite mature when she first started so wasn't well promoted. But she really shines in whatever roles she takes. I think she is pretty in her own way as well.

    Pinky is also a good one, but her looks and voice cast her in mistress roles.But at least she got promoted. She got first lead in a few series after every one else left and ATV could not afford to hire outsiders like Michelle Ye or Loretta Lee or Monica Chan. It was sad that she got pushed aside by her own company. She's not doing so well in Mainland China at the moment, I hope one of the other HK-based companies would pick her up.

    Anyway, back to Wong Mei and "YOTC 97", I think this is her biggest role but she looks the "ugliest". As the story spans a decade, she gets retro-looking wigs that don't exactly suit her and looks dry and fake. She looks so much youthful and natural with her own hair.

    Her name was Hiu Tong right? I am confused by her feelings for Joey's dad (forgot his name). Did she sleep with him to steal him from her mum as revenge, or did she really love him? She must have loved him in some way or she would have not married him. But then why on earth did she ditch him for Gilbert when he got out of jail (??)? She wanted nothing to do with him after that. Hiu Tong is such an enigmatic character. I don't like her but I find her interesting.

    Part of me wished that the series ended in a bloodbath instead of a "happy ending" since it was so depressing anyway.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  16. #16
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Yeah, I remember Wong Yim Na! She was Andrew's junior martial sister in "The Snow is Red"! I think she is pretty but she has fierce eyes which makes her well suited for ancient roles. Now that I have found some eps of "Magical Crane Divine Needles", I realised that she played Yvonne's maid. She is not working anymore. She did some series with David Chiang, Liza Wang and Tats Lau which was a collaboration between Mainland China and ATV in 1999 or 2000, then retired from TV afterwards. I think she opened a boutique or some beauty salon, but have no idea how she is now.
    oh I need to watch the beginning again and pay closer attention. I did not realize she is the maid. Ah yes I heard about one mainland series she did around 1998 or something, there was a picture on a fan site but there wasn't much information about her just that she change her career after that. Miss her. Was very sad to see her get a smaller role in snow is red.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    I didn't get to see the beginning so I'm not sure about wong mei's relationship with joey's dad. It seem like she had to married him to thank him for something. It didn't sound like she was happy in the relationship. I think at one point she said she was with someone a lot older and then she was struggling with the company until gilbert started helping her. I think initially she probably did love joey's dad but overcame a lot of obstacles with gilbert. Howcome gilbert died? In the theme song, it had a scene of gilbert holding a gun to his head.

  18. #18
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Howcome gilbert died? In the theme song, it had a scene of gilbert holding a gun to his head.
    I can't remember properly but some triads (?) wanted Wong Mei dead because she was too adventurous with her business ventures and either made them lose money or something like that. Gilbert wanted her to back off and leave with him to lead a quiet life. But she refused as she was so obsessed with power and revenge and would rather divorce him than leave.

    The assassins came after Wong Mei in the carpark of the divorce lawyer and Gilbert took a shot for her and died. I really can't remember him holding a gun to his head. I am quite vague on the second part of the series since I didn't enjoy it after all my favourite characters died.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  19. #19
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    I'm sorry to ask a million questions, why is it she wanted revenge?
    I'll try to see if I can find the series online. So hard to find dvds now =(

  20. #20
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I'm sorry to ask a million questions, why is it she wanted revenge?
    I'll try to see if I can find the series online. So hard to find dvds now =(
    She had a problem with her stepmother, played by Susan Tse. She was unhappy that her father doted on her stepmother and the fact that she was overlooked as a girl. Her stepmother was having an affair with Joey's dad, who was the company lawyer and helped her control the business. Hiu Tong found out about it and seduced Joey's dad into betraying her stepmother. Eventually her stepmother went nuts and ? got hit by a car and then went into a coma.

    Hiu Tong then took over the business and married Joey's dad, who then took blame for the illegal dealings and went to jail for her. Which brings me back to me previous question, did Hiu Tong marry him out of love or ambition? She could have continued her affair with him after betraying the stepmother but not marry him if she only wanted to use him. Or was she so lacking in fatherly love that she enjoyed the attention from the older man and mistake it as love until she met Ben?

    Series in on youtube.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Similar Threads

  1. Fur Year 2010 - New Year Resolution
    By remember_Cedric in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-12-10, 02:46 AM
  2. 16-year old Gwok Jing vs. 16-year old Gwok Fu
    By Ken Cheng in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-04-07, 01:26 PM
  3. Mediacorp Channel 8 New Year Album 2005 Or Channel U New Year Album 2005
    By richardfu2005 in forum Singapore TV Series
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-08-05, 08:17 AM
  4. Chinese New Year Greetings!!!
    By Jirehmy in forum Technical Issues
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-29-04, 12:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •