Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Cross Dresser

Hey guys!

Ccsaruka and Jeh: You guys seem to have the same feelings towards Tao Gong Gong. Plz read on to find out his fate.
    NickiX: whoa, I haven't heard from you in a long time. I really did thought that you have lost interest in my story. Glad to hear otherwise.

Thanx for commenting!

Oh yeah, a new poster.
    Just a note: I plan for my story to have three parts...a trilogy perhaps. My story is much longer than I had originally intended. Anyways, the idea is this. The Cross Dresser is the whole story, but I am breaking it up somewhat. When Wing Yi becomes 16 or 17, I will call that phase: Book Two---Rising Phoenix(the new poster). Then the final part will be called Book Three----Revelation. That was an idea given to me by a friend in order to organize my story.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://users.domaindlx.com/cupnoodle/rising.jpg')

In the Blink of an Eye

The three horses were already there when they arrived. Wing Yi stood frozen as Enjun and Wen Zhuo mounted their horses.

“Mount your horse Tieu Wing Tu,” Enjun said somberly.

Wing Yi looked up and said calmly, “I don’t know how to ride a horse, sir.”

The eunuch holding onto her horse rolled his eyes but remained silent.

“You can ride with me,” Wen Zhuo offered, sensing the impending haste.

“Thank you, sir,” Wing Yi said, as she quickly took his outstretched hand and mounted.

“Where is the rest of the hunting team?” Enjun demanded to the eunuch standing, peering up.

“They have just left, my prince,” he answered in a quiver tone. “About a few minutes ago.”

“Damn the northerners,” Enjun said under his breath.

“Well, let’s make haste,” Wen Zhuo decided, grabbing the reins tightly. “I bet we can catch up in no time.”

Wen Zhuo snapped his rein and the horse bounded out the half opened gate with Enjun following closely behind.

Wing Yi, who had gathered some experience during the last hunting trip, held on tightly as the horse picked up the pace. Once or twice, when she looked back at Enjun, she can easily perceived the difference in his outgoing nature. Now his eyes were fixed on the course, but his face showed no emotion. Wing Yi felt sorry for placing the blame squarely on his shoulders.

After five minutes or so of speed riding, Wing Yi noticed little figures in the distance.

“Is it them?” she shouted in order to overcome the horse’s trampling.

“Yes!” Wen Zhuo shouted back, as he urged the horse on further into the forest.

The enormous trees now seemed so eerie with the sunlight breaking through the thick interlace of leaves and branches. Wing Yi closed her eyes and tightened her hold on Wen Zhuo’s waist.

He sensed her fear and said, “Nothing to worry about. We are almost there.”

Enjun’s horse came to a gradual stop beside Wen Zhuo’s. Wing Yi slowly opened her eyes and loosen her hold on Wen Zhuo.

Two eunuchs on horseback came over to welcome them and to bring the hunting weapons.

Just as her pupil was beginning to adjust to the change in lighting, she immediately saw Tao Gong Gong. His eyes glimmered and his mouth twitched as he too realized that she was also there.

“Prince Enjun and Master Wen Zhuo,” Tao Gong Gong greeted with a wide smile. “The guests are ready to start the hunt.”

“Lead the way,” Enjun said in a deflated tone.

As the horses approach the waiting team, the men on the horses quickly dismounted. As a custom, Wen Zhuo dismounted first before helping Wing Yi get down. Enjun reluctantly dismounted but remained silent.

“Greetings, Prince Enjun,” the bearded man with the tuban bowed.

Walking behind him were about ten of this men.

Wing Yi can almost instantly recognized one of them was the pierced ear man.

Enjun gave a slight acknowledgement with a nod of the head but said nothing. He seemed to be staring off somewhere in the distant.

Wen Zhuo was also quiet, as he stood beside Enjun. Both he and Wing Yi were both calmly staring at the pierced ear man, masking his presence in the shade.

Tao Gong Gong was too preoccupied with the uneasy tension to care about Wing Yi’s unexpected presence.

“Shall we start?” Tao Gong Gong quickly spoke up, and at the same time breaking the tension.

“Yes, time is of the essence,” the bearded man said with a laugh, then turned his heels and headed towards his horse.

“Come on,” Wen Zhuo urged Enjun.

Enjun said nothing and walked listlessly toward his own horse.

Wing Yi knew it was wise to remain quiet, and besides she was only a servant.

Tao Gong Gong took the initiative and headed the hunting expedition, and riding alongside the bearded man, Enjun, and Wen Zhuo.

“This is an excellent area to hunt for deer,” he advertised, smiling proudly.

“I am not here for meager deer,” the bearded man replied coldly. “Bears make for an interesting hunt.”

Both Enjun and Wen Zhuo looked at each other in shock.
    Tao Gong Gong was stung speechless.

The bearded man slapped the horse with his bow, and the animal bolted away from the group. “Follow me!”

They had no choice but to try and catch up. He took them deeper into the forest. The sunlight could not penetrate through. Darkness engulfed them quickly. Then all of a sudden, the bearded man’s horse came to a slow trot. He swiftly dismounted and ventured into the dark. His men quickly perform the same motions.

“We should stay close,” Tao Gong Gong suggested, his heart beating wildly in his chest.

With that said, they also dismounted. Enjun had seemed to get more in touch with reality. Wen Zhuo gave Enjun a knowing look that meant “something is amist, we must be on our guard.” Both pulled out their swords. Wen Zhuo gave Wing Yi his small dagger.

Wing Yi looked all around, but she realized that she could only see a few feet in front of her. Her ears alert and a dagger in hand, Wing Yi made all attempts to follow closely behind Enjun and Wen Zhuo.

They were able to finally locate and meet up with the other men.

“Where is your master?” Tao Gong Gong asked one of the men standing beside him.

The guy shook his head.

All of a sudden, a violent cry was heard; a cry that came from a wounded creature. The might of the cry echoed throughout the forest. A few seconds after that came a silence followed by a tremor in the ground.

The mass of people began to disperse in the direction of the tremor, as if they had known that their master had successfully made the kill.

Wing Yi could sense that danger was still nearer than ever, as she held her dagger poised and ready.

As they made their way through the thicket of vines and bushes, the men used their swords to clear the path. The only sounds anyone heard were the sound of marching feet stepping on branches and twigs on the ground along with the swhooshing noises of the sword.

The humidity mixed with perspiration overwhelmed everyone.

Suddenly the marching stopped.

“Looks like a dense bush is blocking our way,” Tao Gong Gong said between breaths.

The people in the front quickly got started, when Wing Yi noticed a slight tremor in the ground under her feet. She was just about to say something when all of a sudden; a massive shadow appeared from the bush behind her.

Enjun and Wen Zhuo did not turn around in time to see the giant bear. The creature lunged at Enjun’s direction. Wing Yi instinctively pushed Enjun and in the process, herself, a few feet back from the bear. They both fumbled to get back on their feet.

Meanwhile, the bear swung a huge paw in Wen Zhuo’s direction. He too, did not see it coming. One of the men threw his sword at the creature and then quickly pulled Wen Zhuo out of harm’s way.

Tao Gong Gong rushed over to make it seem that he was helping Enjun, but in the process protecting himself.

The other men showered the bear with arrows after arrows. The creature cried out in agony as it fumbled back and forth unsteadily: the blood dripped from his wounded body. In one last feeble attempt, the creature throws his arms in the air and was about to lunge once more into the crowd. However, the bearded man appeared out of the bush. He sent an arrow right through the animal’s heart. The bear instantly collapsed before them in one massive heap.

It appeared that the bear was a male. The other bear that was killed previously was a female.

"We shall take their gall bladders as a gift for the emperor," the bearded man said unwavering as he goes to extract it from the dead corpse.
    "It is poop calling vomit stink."---the insult dog

Plz visit my site: http://omnibus.250x.com

Nice poster, Anita look so cool and beautiful That stupid Tao Gong Gong, trying to protect himself. I'm glad Wing Yi, Enjun, and Wen Zhuo is okay. Update soon.

Aww, I feel sorry for the bear, but I'm glad Wing Yi's ok! Gallbladder, for the king? Seems a bit extreme, if you know what I mean... :P

Update soon! I like the poster you made of Anita, it looks so realistic

Hey guys!

Um..I am updating with two chapters. The second chapter is to compensate for the boring first chapter. Enjoy!
    I am excited to announce that I am drawing close to the end of Book One: AGE OF INNOCENCE.

Hi Jeh: Thanks for commenting on the poster and chapter. Don't worry, Tao Gong Gong gets what he deserves in the second chapter.

Hi Danielle: An animal lover huh? Actually I have seen several ancient tv series where tigers were skined or bear gall bladder were used to show prestige. Not convincing? That's okay, appreciate your honest opinion.

Thanks for reading!

The Aftermath

After removing the gall bladder, the bearded man held it up and laughed triumphantly.

Wing Yi closed her eyes and tighten her hold on Enjun’s arm.

He gently tapped on her hand, before making his way over to Wen Zhuo.

With everyone so shaken up by the whole encounter, the hunting expedition was immediately brought to an end. Tao Gong Gong was still shaking from head to foot as he followed Enjun.

The pierced ear man turned out to be the one that had pulled Wen Zhuo out of harm’s way, just at the crucial moment. Wen Zhuo was just getting back up, when Enjun reached out his right hand to assist him.

“Thanks,” Wen Zhuo managed to utter.

“Are you alright master Wen Zhuo?” Tao Gong Gong asked before Enjun had a chance to ask.

“Yes, I am fine,” Wen Zhuo answered, dusting off his clothing before he directed his attention at the pierced ear man standing a few feet away.

“Are you alright prince Enjun? And everyone?” he asked formally, but his attention was still drawn to the pierced ear man standing rigidly in the dark.

“I am fine and everyone is fine as well,” Enjun said in a somberly, his eyes watching every move that the bearded man was making with disgust.

Tao Gong Gong leaned over and whispered to Enjun. Enjun slowly nodded before he announced, “The hunt has ended. We need to depart immediately.”

The crowd dispersed and headed to their horses. With Tao Gong Gong following closely behind Enjun, Wing Yi decided to go over and assist Wen Zhuo. However, she could not see him anywhere. As they reached their horse, Wing Yi noticed Wen Zhuo talking to bearded man and unintentionally overheard a few phrases of their conversation.

“Um…since he does not know what I am saying, please tell him I said thank you for saving me,” Wen Zhuo said with a troubled look.

The bearded man’s response was inaudible to Wing Yi, but she did see him bow, before he mounted his horse.

“Tieu Wing Tu,” Enjun spoke up all of a sudden.

Wing Yi was instinctively jumped slightly.

“Do you need a ride?” Enjun said on top of his horse, peering down at her.

She knew that something was troubling Wen Zhuo, and it was best if he was not bothered by her company.

“Yes sir,” Wing Yi answered, taking his offering hand.

The bearded man rode up to Enjun’s side and offered, “Follow me!”

Since this was unfamiliar territory, Enjun had to accept his invite with much reluctance.

As fast as they had arrived, the hunting team emerged from the dark forest ground. The sun was still shining, although the sky was a bit overcast: a storm was imminent.
    On the ride back, Wing Yi noticed that Wen Zhuo was lagging behind a bit. His visage and composure resembled that of Enjun in the beginning of the hunt.

“Maybe it was the whole bear encounter,” she thought to herself. “Or it could have something to do with the conversation she had overheard.”

She was too busy in thought to notice that they had arrived at the palace gate. Enjun held out his seal and the gates immediately swung open.

The hunt has officially ended.

Wing Yi was both relieved and anxious: relieved because the nightmare was over, but anxious as to Gai Gong Gong’s reaction.

Upon entry, a small figure can be seen running up to greet them.

“Xie,” Enjun said lazily to Wen Zhuo, who was riding beside him. “He is probably going to throw another tantrum for not bringing him along.”

Wen Zhuo gave a quick smile and nodded knowingly.

With the help of the eunuch, they dismounted. Wing Yi quickly excused herself before Xie saw her.

After Enjun dismounted, he came over in hopes of subduing his brother.

“Why didn’t you let me go?” Xie pouted in an angry tone.

“Because you would have caught more deer than me!” Enjun said jokingly. “Now you know that I can’t lose face in front of those Northerners.”

“I don’t care!” Xie said, unpacified. “You should have at least let me know. I had to find out from the servants.”

“I know, I know,” Enjun gave in and walked with Xie into the palace. “Don’t let anyone know that I did not manage to shoot one deer.”

After seeing the brothers disappear into the palace, Wen Zhuo and Tao Gong Gong went their separate ways.

Tao Gong Gong was unusually silent after hunt. He sauntered off, forgetting about Wing Yi’s unexpected participation in the hunt.

Wen Zhuo decided to skip meal in the dining hall and retreat to his quarters.

Meanwhile, Wing Yi hurriedly made her way back to her own quarters. She tried to formulate and go over in her head what she would say to Gai Gong Gong. However, Wing Yi was overly relieved that she was able to avoid another confrontation with Xie.

Not surprisingly, she found Gai Gong Gong sitting on the table, slowly drinking his tea.

With one look at her, Gai Gong Gong could tell what had happened.

Wing Yi closed the door and timidly took a seat next to him.

“Good afternoon Gai Gong Gong,” she said.

He nodded but remained silent. Wing Yi dreaded the silence that pervaded the room and finally spoke up, “Gai Gong Gong I have to tell you something.”

Gai Gong Gong sat quietly sipping his tea as she recounted the whole hunting episode from the confrontation with the bears to the extraction of the gall bladder.

Occasionally, he would nod to show that he was listening.
    By the time she finished her story, it was already time for supper. Like every meal, the food was plentiful and undeniably mouth-watering. During the meal Gai Gong Gong spoke up for the first time.

“How much have you practiced on your breathing?” he asked her, while she had a piece of duck wing half sticking out of her mouth.

Wing Yi lowered her duck wing and looked at it to advert his gaze.

“I haven’t been practicing lately,” she said guiltily.

“After this incident, I think it is wise for you to learn martial arts to protect yourself,” he continued. “I want you to take the lesson more seriously. From now on, I want to you work on your breathing exercises every night before going to bed.”

“Yes, Gai Gong Gong,” Wing Yi said obediently, and looked up.

“It is not your fault child,” he admitted with a long sigh. “Previously I had not stress it. Now eat up and retire soon. You have had a tiring day.”

The two finished their dinner in silence.

It seemed that after the Northerners arrived, Gai Gong Gong had been more introverted. There was definitely something about the Northerners that had caused the changes in him and Wen Zhuo as well.

Tossing and turning in her bed, Wing Yi’s mind flooded with all sorts of thoughts. She knew she could not sleep and the only way to get rid of them is to concentrate her mind on something else. In the darkness, Wing Yi sat up straight in her bed and began her breathing exercise.

“I won’t let you down…anymore,” she said to herself, half consciously as her breathing became a steady rhythm.

‘Do not dwell in the past. Do not dwell on the future. Concentrate the mind on the present moment.’—Buddha

Friend or Foe

That night, the emperor threw the another party for his newborn child. This was to be the last night the Northerners were staying in the palace. They have plans to depart at sunrise, the next day. The bearded man started off by presenting the bears’ gall bladders to the emperor. He was both shocked and pleasantly surprised. The actual bear encounter was left out in his toast to the emperor.

Enjun and Wen Zhuo both decline from attending by claiming that the hunt had exhausted them.

And the next morning, the Northerners departed swiftly and things in the palace returned to normal. That morning, Wen Zhuo received a letter from his father telling him to return home immediately.

“My mother’s illness is getting worse,” Wen Zhuo sadly admitted to himself.

“Please give her my regards,” Enjun said with a sad smile. “It will be boring here without you my friend.”

“At least I leave knowing that I won the bet,” Wen Zhuo tried to joke.

“What bet?” Enjun asked with a puzzled look.

“I got Tieu Wing Tu to tell us the whole deer dragging incident,” he said with a smile.

“Right,” Enjun reluctantly agreed. “But you know what? I owe him my life.”

“Yes, I guess so,” Wen Zhuo laughed and looked at Enjun. “He is the first eunuch I have met that is honest. Why don’t you get him to replace Tao Gong Gong?”

“Yes, I have thought about it,” Enjun pondered over the idea. “But then there is my brother.”

“Prince Xie?” Wen Zhuo asked. “You can get Tao Gong Gong to switch jobs. I am pretty sure Tao Gong Gong won’t be so thrilled about the change, but he doesn’t really have a choice once you give the order. And as for Xie, I think if you bribed him a little bit, he would give in.”

“Not a bad idea!” Enjun said, impressed. “What shall I do without my brilliant adviser here?”

Wen Zhuo laughed and replied, “Maybe if my mom gets better, I will pay you a visit.”

The two friends bided each other farewell. Wen Zhuo got on his carriage and began his journey home.

When Tao Gong Gong was informed of the news, he was outraged. In front of Enjun, he remained calm and even seemed happy with the new positioning. However after, he stormed to Wing Yi’s quarter.

The heavy pounding alarmed Gai Gong Gong as he went to open the door.

Wing Yi was standing behind him with a steamed bun in her left hand.

“What is the meaning of this?!” he demanded of Wing Yi, who looked bewildered at the sight of him.

“What do you mean, Tao Gong Gong,” Gai Gong Gong asked
    calmly, shielding Wing Yi from his rage.

“You ratted me out you little weasel!!!” he bursted out, pointing his chubby index finger at her. “What did you say to the prince?”

“I…didn’t say anything,” Wing Yi spoke up.

“Oh, don’t act so innocent,” Tao Gong Gong laughed sarcastically. “You know perfectly well. The prince had ordered that replace me! And I get positioned with prince Xie! Do you know how hard I had to work to get my way this far! How dare you!!!”

“He said he doesn’t know what you are talking about,” Gai Gong Gong interrupted, with a hard look directly in Tao Gong Gong’s eye. “I suggest you take it to the prince if you are unhappy with your situation.”

Suddenly, appearing at the door was Tieu Ceuk Tu with a smile. His smile quickly disappeared once he saw the enraged Tao Gong Gong staring at him.

“I have a message for Tieu Wing Tu,” Ceuk continued with apprehension. “It is from Prince Enjun.”

At the mention of the prince, Tao Gong Gong face grew red and his hand tightened into a fist.

“I will remember this!” he said menacingly at Wing Yi just before storming out the door.

There was a brief moment of silence, before Ceuk spoke up, “Shall we go?”

Wing Yi looked at Gai Gong Gong for approval. He nodded slowly.

By now he could pretty much predict what the prince wanted to see Wing Yi. He also knew that Tao Gong Gong was not the type to take things like this lightly.

As they made their way along the corridor, Wing Yi asked, “Tieu Ceuk Tu?”

“Yes?” Ceuk answered, looking over at her.

“Do you know the reason why I was summoned?” she asked bluntly.

“No,” Ceuk answered truthfully. “I was sent to bring you to see the prince. Other than that I have no idea. From the looks of it, I can guess that it involved Tao Gong Gong as well.”

Wing Yi nodded slowly and remained quiet.

“Could it be true what Tao Gong Gong said?” she pondered the question to herself with much anxiety.

As they approached Enjun’s study, Cuek smiled weakly to Wing Yi before knocking the door.

“My prince,” Ceuk proclaimed loudly. “Tieu Wing Tu is here to see you.”

“Let him in,” Enjun said from the inside.

Wing Yi slowly walked in and immediately bowed. “Did you wish to see me?”

“You may rise,” Enjun ordered as he stood up and walked over to her. “I wanted to thank you for saving my life the other day. As a thank you, I have requested that you change job position with Tao Gong Gong.”

Wing Yi immediately looked up.

“But sir,” she confessed. “I am happy with my previous position. However, I don’t think it is fair…”

Enjun sighed and held up his hand, forcing her to stop in mid-sentence.

“I realize that making the change is difficult for both you and Tao Gong Gong,” Enjun insisted as he walked back to his chair. “But I am sure you will handle the change just fine.”

Just when Wing Yi was about to protest, the guard on the outside knocked on the door.

“What is it?” Enjun demanded with an exhausted look.

“Your mother has summoned you, my prince,” the guard retorted in a monotonous tone.

“Yes, I almost forgot,” Enjun said out loud, getting out of his chair and headed towards the door. “Well, I will see you tomorrow then.”

Before Wing Yi had a chance to utter another word, he was gone, leaving her standing there in speechless.

Ceuk soon came in and escorted her back to Gai Gong Gong.

When she told the news to Ceuk on the way back, he congradulated her, “Wow! You are so lucky. You realize how long it takes to get promoted to your position. In only a month, you have managed to accomplish something that would have taken others years.”

“But I don’t really want it,” Wing Yi professed sadly.

“Now I understand why Tao Gong Gong was so furious before,” Ceuk joked.

Wing Yi knew that before making friends, she had just made an enemy out of Tao Gong Gong.

Haha, serve that stupid Tao Gong Gong right Hmm, I'm thinking this may not be the end of Tao Gong Gong yet. Will see him in the future, unfortunately Anyway, yay, you've finally updated with two chapters too. Where have you been Tido, first Hannah dissappear, then you, and then Nicki disappear too I'm left all alone with nobody talk to Hehe, jk. Update soon. Almost the end of part one, that mean they're going to grow up soon.

Talking

Even though I'm happy that Tao Gong Gong had been sent away, I know that he'll come back. When Wing Yi grows up he'll probably try to kill her or something...

But update soon! Age of innocence? Looking forward to it!

~~~
    Animal lover? Not really, every summer you can probably see me holding a fly swatter... And I'm allergic to dogs, too, so I had to settle for a hamster... Sorry too much info, ignore this...

Hi guys!

Time for an update! Actually this one is longer than most of my chapters. Book One: Age of Innocence is done. Now on to Book Two: Rising Phoenix. Hope the transition is not too abrupt, but I need to get the story rolling. Hope you enjoy the update!

Jeh: You are right, this is not the end of Tao Gong Gong, unfortunately. Where have I been? um...busy with lots of things, but don't worry I am still around sometimes. Not sure where Hannah and NickiX are either. I guess it is just a few of us still left. Anyways, hope to hear from you soon!

Danielle: Wow! You definitely have a creative imagination. And I see that you are not exactly an animal lover, huh? I can't believe you are allergic to dogs...never actually knew a person. Hey, a hamster is cute too!
    I love animals, but hate mosquitos(annoying pests) ...I have been bitten I don't know how many times this week.

Advice for everyone, stay inside!

Oh yeah, new poster to share!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://users.domaindlx.com/cupnoodle/crossdresser38.jpg')

Growing Up

And so, palace life after that day became much easier. Wing Yi, who initially had mixed feelings about the whole arrangement with Enjun, began to gradually adjust to the changes. Most of the time, she would just talk and perform minor tasks for Enjun. Considering that he was after all a prince, he was not overly demanding. He had several other eunuchs, but Wing Yi seemed to be the only one he could have a casual conversation with. Ever since Wen Zhuo returned home, Wing Yi became Enjun’s confidant. Aside from Enjun’s alter ego at times, Wing Yi found him to be fair and benevolent.
    When Wing Yi told Gai Gong Gong about her situation, he was afraid that her cross-dressing would be exposed. However, he did realize that it was too late for that now. He trusts that Wing Yi knows how to conduct herself and is witty enough to avoid revealing her unspoken secret.

"You must always be on the alert," Gai Gong Gong advised her.

After her promise to Gai Gong Gong, Wing Yi quickly became his dedicated and diligent student. Every week he would give her a quick fifteen-minute lesson in martial arts and followed by a thirty-minute lesson in philosophy to enhance not just her physical strength, but also more importantly her mental stamina. It was up to her to practice thoroughly each night before going to bed. Luckily for both of them, she was a fast learner and soon learned to enjoy her lessons.

Gai Gong Gong was undoubtedly happy with her progress but as time passed, his worries mounted.

As for Tao Gong Gong, he would give Wing Yi a menacing gaze every time he happened to run into her. However, he and Xie managed to get along quite well due to their similar personalities. And as a bribe, Enjun occasionally took time out to play with his brother: something that could pacify him.

As it turned out, Wen Zhuo’s mother continued to struggle with her illness. With Royal Duke Fai Jun’s wealth and prestige, her illness can be suppressed with costly medications and numerous doctor visits.

And whenever the Royal Duke would pay a visit to see the emperor or had a council meeting, Wen Zhuo had a chance to come visit Enjun and Wing Yi. Even though Wen Zhuo adores and cares for his mother, seeing her in such pain and agony is unbearable for him. His visits with friends gave him the opportunity to temporarily forget the suffering that his mother must endure.

Book Two: Rising Phoenix

Disregarding all else, time passes swiftly. It has been six years, since Wing Yi arrived in the Forbidden City. She is now seventeen, taller and lankier than before. However, it disguises the fact she is well disciplined in marital arts after all the years of training. Her fair complexion and long ebony hair is covered with a black eunuch hat. Her most stunning feature are her eyes; soulful and unwavering at the same time.

Before the coming of age, she had a number of feminine issues to content with such as puberty. The change meant that she must be even more careful about disclosing her true identity. Every morning she would have to use a long white cloth to bind her chest. Even though unbearable at times, she could not go out of her bedroom doors without it. Living in the palace and being constantly around the opposite sex, she has acquired a tomboy manner: she is tough and strong-willed. She sees herself as being one of the "boys" when she is with Enjun and Wen Zhuo, and they too feel the same.

Enjun is now twenty-two years old, tall and talkative. Wen Zhuo is twenty-three years old, a little shorter than Enjun but more muscular.

Wing Yi has just gone to the kitchen to get some afternoon snacks for Enjun and was on her way back. She whistled happily, as she made way to the door.

Only when she opened the door did she smile with a mixture of shock and joy.

"Master Wen Zhuo!" Wing Yi blurted out, as she approached the table.

Enjun was sitting opposite of Wen Zhuo with a smirk on his face.

"Yes, I am here for a few days while my father discuss pressing issues with the emperor," Wen Zhuo answered Wing Yi’s confused look, then focused his attention the trayful of scrumptious snacks. "Now can we have our snacks?"

"No, sir," she joked, placing the plate in front of Enjun. "These snacks are for the prince."

Enjun laughed and made a grab for a yellow moon cake.

Wen Zhuo turned to Enjun and asked with a sigh, "So this is how you treat guest?”

Enjun shrugged and smile as he extended his hands to acquire another piece.

“And I see that you have mastered the art of sucking up,” Wen Zhuo joked, as he turned his attention to her standing beside Enjun. “No longer do you need to pay me any attention.”

Enjun laughed triumphantly and looked at Wing Yi with a knowing nod.

“That’s why he is still by my side,” Enjun said in a matter-of-fact way, then placed his left arm on the table and leaned in. “Serves you right for not visiting more often.”

Wing Yi coughed purposely to get their attention.

“It is not that Prince Enjun and Master Wen Zhuo,” she interjected, giving them an annoyed expression. “I had only wished to get your order before serving you. I will go now and retrieve your snacks, Master Wen Zhuo. What would you like, sir?”

Wen Zhuo letted out a long defeated sigh, and said, “I was only joking. I don’t want anything, thank you. And did you forget?”

“Forget, sir?” Wing Yi said with a slightly raised eyebrow.

“Only call me sir in public,” he said, taking a cake Enjun offered him. “Calling me Master Wen Zhuo and sir, makes me sound so old. Come sit down and have a moon cake with us, Tieu Wing Tu.”

Wing Yi smiled and quickly took a seat between Wen Zhuo and Enjun.

“So, do you still remember me?” Wing Yi said with a pout.

“Of course!” Wen Zhou answered, handing her a red moon cake. “Call it a truce?”

She happily accepted his apology and began to nibble away at the crust of the moon cake. “Thanks!” she managed to utter as she swallowed.

She quickly pours everyone a cup of tea and began to sip at it. Her ferocity made both Enjun and Wen Zhuo laugh. All day, she had not had the opportunity to eat anything, even when Enjun had offered her earlier some dimsum.

“Calm down,” Enjun said playfully, staring at her cramming a big piece of the cake into her mouth. “You will choke.”

She nodded quickly and shoved the last bit into her mouth. After finishing her cake, Wing Yi looks sadly at the empty plate.

“Here,” Wen Zhuo offered with a sincere smile. “I have half a moon cake left. Do you want it?”

“That’s what true friends are all about!” she commended him, hungrily accepting the handout and resumed eating.

“Aside from eating,” Enjun finally spoke up with a mischievous smile. “While we are all here, I have some interesting news to tell both of you.”

“What now?” Wen Zhuo questioned him with a raised eyebrow. Knowing Enjun since childhood, Wen Zhuo could pretty much tell when his friend had something up his sleeves.

Wing Yi is too busy munching away to pay much attention.

“So…..?” Wen Zhuo urged him to complete his thought.

“Have you ever wanted to travel to the south?” Enjun said rhetorically, his eyes gleaming with excitement.

At the mention of traveling outside these walls, Wing Yi’s immediately stopped her eating to silently await for what Enjun has to say.

“You are not suggesting that…” Wen Zhuo’s voice trailed off.

“Yes!” Enjun answered his friend’s puzzled look. “You, Tieu Wing Tu, and I are going!”

“Wait…wait a second,” Wen Zhuo interrupted him. “How is this possible? Enjun, you know fully well that it is almost impossible for you or anyone in the palace to set a foot outside these walls, much less as far away as to the South!”

“I know,” Enjun proceeded, looked at Wing Yi and then Wen Zhuo. “Don’t worry about that. I have it all planned out.”

“Alright,” Wen Zhuo gave in and poured some tea. “Let’s hear it.”

Seeing that he had captured their attention, Enjun continued but with a sad expression, “My father tells me that in the South, the people had recently suffered a severe drought that had wiped out their harvest. People are suffering from severe famine due to the conditions. Many have already died and many more will, if food supplies do not come. The emperor is currently having a headache and heartache when discussing this matter. I bet that was why your father, Royal Duke Fai Jun, had to meet with the council and my father.”

Wen Zhuo nodded but was speechless. Wing Yi remained silent as she attentively listened.

Enjun proceeded, “My idea is that we will bring the supply down there. This will give me the chance to help my people and gain experience.”

“Have you discuss this over with the emperor?” Wen Zhuo interrupted with a serious look. “There is no way that he will allow you to leave the palace and face dangers that lie beyond these walls.”

“I know,” Enjun responded with a smile. “However, I will have a dozen soldiers to accompany us, both to bring the aid and to protect us. Another thing is that I will pretend to be your father’s son. In essence, you! And you will be my bodyguard and servant. That’s the only way to keep a low profile…well lower than pranching around as a Prince.”

“Your plan is not all that bad, but there are just too many loopholes,” Wen Zhuo warned him.

“And to answer your question, yes, I have propose my idea to my father,” Enjun said with a happy grin. “He has accepted my proposal and is in the process of finalizing all the matters with your father.”

Wen Zhuo’s eyes widened, and Wing Yi had a baffled look on her face.

“Does that mean we are going?” Wing Yi finally blurted out in amazement.

“I guess so!” Enjun replied, lightly slapped her on the back. “Get packing! We are going for a month!”

Enjun then stood up and walked to Wen Zhuo, “So do you want to come along with us?”

“Yes, but…” Wen Zhuo said softly but was interrupted.

“Great! Enjun quickly interjected with a hearty laugh. “We will meet again tomorrow to finalize the plan. I bet we will leave a few days before the Moon Festival.”

Wing Yi was escorting Wen Zhuo to the dining hall, when Enjun called them back.

“Oh, by the way, my father has ordered that Tao Gong Gong come along to take care of the bookkeeping.”

Man, stupid Tao Gong Gong have to go and ruin the trip Update soon.

hey tido

sorry for not being on for so long.i have been quite busy had all these things on and stuff and yer.sorta forgot bout spcnet lol but den i saw my cousin go on and i remembered lol so i went on spcnet as soon as i had the time lo.i hope u accpet my apology and i have read all of the chapters i missed and u have done some great work.especially on the posters.stupid tao gong gong he shoulda got killed by the bear lol.well update soon bye bye
    ps: do u use msn?if u do can i have ur email?
    Last edited by bondylove; 07-08-03 at 11:23 PM.
    Mr 2co0l

Hey guys!

Yet another update. Thanks for reading and enjoy!

Jeh: Yeah, I have plans for Tao Gong Gongs on the trip... Oh yeah, update your fanfic!

BondyLove: Whoa....long time no see! I am so happy to hear that you are still reading and has actually kept up with my updates! Don't worry about it...I understand and no need for apologies. And like I told Jeh, Tao Gong Gong won't go away so early. OBTW, I don't use MSN, sorry. I only have AIM and Yahoo Instant Messenger. My screen name for both is tidopham. Okay, bye for now!

The Sad Good-byes

Walking back to her quarters, Wing Yi’s mind kept thinking about what Enjun had said. However, her biggest worry is how she would to tell and at the same time convince Gai Gong Gong. All these years that she has been his pupil. She has never left his side for a day, and now she would have to be away for one whole month.

She stopped in front of the doors and took a deep breath before entering.

“Gai Gong Gong!” Wing Yi said in a cheery tone, smiling brightly.

Gai Gong Gong slowly peered up from his tea and took a sip.

“What is it?” he asked, knowing full well that she had something to tell him.

“I have some news to tell you, Gai Gong Gong,” Wing Yi said as she quickly took a seat next to him.

“Bad news or good news?” he questioned, playing along.

“Well, I am not sure,” she answered hesitantly. “You will have to hear the news and decide for yourself.”

“Go on,” he demanded, giving her permission to proceed.

“Prince Enjun and Master Wen Zhuo are traveling south,” Wing Yi stopped and glanced over to see his reaction, before she continued. “And they requested that I accompanied them on their mission. The mission involves us traveling south in order to bring much needed food supplies for the people.”

Gai Gong Gong was quietly listening but finally spoke up, “Has something happened in the south?”

Realizing that she had finally got his attention, Wing Yi confidently continued her narration, “The people in the south had suffered from a severe drought, and all their crops were ruined. Famine is becoming widespread, unless we come to aid. Prince Enjun also wants to use this opportunity to gain some experience with his people before becoming emperor.”

“So that was why the emperor had granted his wish,” Gai Gong Gong finished her thought and looked at her seriously. “I see, and you are telling me this in order to convince me to let you go?”

Wing Yi silently nodded with a smile.

“But what about your situation?” he asked her candidly, with a sad and concerned expression. “Do you realize that you will be by yourself? And besides, you have never left my side since the day you came here.”

“I know, Gai Gong Gong,” Wing Yi assured him, leaning on his left arm. “After Li MaMa died, you became my only family and very much a father figure. When I was young, I kept getting myself into trouble. However now that I am older, hopefully wiser, I have to learn to take care of myself instead of solely relying on you. Please Gai Gong Gong. Can I go? I promise to be extra careful.”

Gai Gong Gong knew that she is too trusting and kind-hearted for the world outside these walls. He knew that he could not keep sheltering her forever. This time, he would have to let her experience life for herself.

He panted her head, and she looked up, eagerly awaiting his decision.

“I guess I cannot say no,” Gai Gong Gong said reluctantly. “Tell me this, how long is the mission?”

Wing Yi literally jumped out of her seat with sudden blithe. Gai Gong Gong gave her a moment to celebrate, and finally she calmed down to answer his inquiry.

“Prince Enjun estimates that we will be gone for a month,” Wing Yi answered him with a big smile plastered on her face.

“A whole month?” Gai Gong Gong said to himself as his anxiety about her departure increased rapidly.

Wing Yi’s smile quickly disappeared when she saw Gai Gong Gong’s worried expression.

“Please don’t worry,” she reassured him. “I promise to take good care of myself and not get in trouble. I will remember to write often.”

“I know child,” Gai Gong Gong said. Even though she has grown up, Gai Gong Gong still sometimes called her child.

“When are you leaving?” he asked the last question.

“Tomorrow,” Wing Yi said with a sad smile. She still felt uneasy being away from Gai Gong Gong and being the cause for his worries.

Gai Gong Gong nodded and walked to his bedroom, “Wait for me here, I have to give you something.”

Shortly he was back and in his hand was a sword. The sword instantly grabbed Wing Yi’s attention as her eyes lingered on the sheath.

Gai Gong Gong walked up to her and handed her the sword. Wing Yi silently accepted it, all her attention focused on the sword she had in her hand. At first she did not recognize it, but when she pulled it out of it sheath, past memories rushed in.

The finely engraved phrase shone brightly as the sword’s iron surface caught the candlelight. Tears began to form in her eyes as she held the sword. The engraving read: “People are not always what they seem to be.”People are not what they appear to be

“This is from Li MaMa?” she asked in a soft whisper, barely audible.

Gai Gong Gong nodded in silence, but then said to Wing Yi, “I am not sure if you remembered the day when I found you. The injured woman said that the Li MaMa wanted you to have it. That is why before she left, she requested that I gave the sword to you. I am sorry I did not give to you sooner. Before today, I saw no real reason to give it to you. Most of the time you practice with the wooden sword, but now I think you are ready to use this. Remember what I have taught you. A weapon is used for defense only. On your way there, you will need to be on alert at all times.”

“I will, Gai Gong Gong,” Wing Yi promised, as she slowly draws the sword back into its sheath.

“Very good,” he said resolutely. “Hurry and pack the rest of your belongings.”

“Yes,” Wing Yi said as she wiped her tears and began to head to her room with the sword in her left hand. But after two steps, a knock is heard.

“I’ll get it, Gai Gong Gong,” she offered as she walked to the door.

She was not expecting to see Tieu Ceuk Tu at the door with a bundle in his hands.

“Hi!” Ceuk sang out as he followed her inside.

“It is late,” Gai Gong Gong said from within. “Can we help you?”

“Yes,” Ceuk replied immediately, handing over the package. “Prince Enjun has asked me to bring Tieu Wing Tu her belongings for the trip tomorrow.”

Then he turned his attention to Wing Yi, “So you are going? I don’t want to be nosy but how long will you been gone?”

“Probably a month or so,” she said with a smile and poked him. “I wish you could have come with us.”

Ceuk smiled sweetly and joked, “No, I prefer to be behind these walls than to be brave and risk it out there.”

“Good bye for now, Tieu Ceuk Tu,” Wing Yi said with a smile. “Please help me by look after Gai Gong Gong. He will probably need someone to talk to without me here.”

“I will be just fine while you are gone,” Gai Gong Gong interjected with a sigh.

Both Ceuk and Wing Yi giggled awhile, before Wing Yi hugged Ceuk and saw him to the door.

“Have fun and be safe,” Ceuk said to her before he left.
    Last edited by tido; 07-13-03 at 12:14 AM.

Ooh, I am so eager to know what will happen on their journey. Hopefully, Wing Yi will meet her chilhood friend. I am so excited!! Hope Tao Gong Gong will get what he deserve I will update my fanfic soon so you better update yours soon too.

Hello Tido,

This is getting really interesting.... I just finish reading the last couple of chapters and am now waiting for what's next. And hopefully Tao Gong Gong don't cause too much trouble for Wing Yi. .
    "share the glory in the story"

shut up already

Hey!

Jeh: Okay I am updating my story...now it is your turn! Anyways, this chapter is to get things sort out. The journey will begin with the next chapter. And you are right! She will meet her childhood friend. It is about time Siu Chun comes back into the picture

NickiX: Hey! Haven't seen you around the forum for awhile. Glad you are back! Yeah, Tao Gong Gong will definitely make his presence known, but don't worry Wing Yi can take him. :P

This is an early update. Hopefully I can get another chapter up tomorrow. Anyways, thanks for reading and enjoy!

The Moment Before Departure

Meanwhile back at Wen Zhou’s quarter, he is impatiently waiting for confirmation from Enjun. Pacing back and forth with his hands folded behind his back, he heard someone approaching.

“Come in!” he quickly said before a knock was heard; half expecting the person to be one of the messengers.

The door opened. However, he was neither a messenger nor a servant but rather his father, Royal Duke Fai Jun.

“Is this how you welcome your father?” Duke Fai Jun eyed the room with disinterest and then propped himself on a large, wooden carved chair.

“I am sorry father,” Wen Zhuo apologized as he offered his father a hot cup of tea.

Wen Zhuo remained quiet as he watched his father slowly sip the tea. Finally he spoke up, “Father, is there something you wish to see me about?”

“Yes, I do have some important issues to discuss with you,” he said in a deep voice, setting the teacup down on the square table beside him. “However, I am pretty sure Prince Enjun has already told you a good deal of it.”

Duke Fai Jun stood up erect, and began to walk over to the open window. The moon is not yet fully round, but its radiance filled the night sky. Even the duke was drawn to its beauty and splendor.

Facing the moonlight, Duke Fai Jun continued his speech, “The emperor and the council have decided to bring immediate aid to the people. He has already sent a proclamation to the officials in the south, telling them of our rescue efforts as well as to order them to open up their storage supplies to hand out to the people. However, that’s still not enough. That is also why the emperor has agreed with Prince Enjun’s suggestion. You do know of what I speak?”

“Yes, father,” Wen Zhuo answered promptly. “Prince Enjun has told me about his plan. But father, do you think we can bring that much supply to them in time?”

“Yes, distance and man power are of our main concern, but if the emperor wishes so, then it can be done,” Duke Fai Jun replied calmly, stroking his beard.

Then he turned away from the window and walked back to his chair.

“You are going, I presume?" Duke Fai Jun inquired, finally looking at his son.

“I planned on it,” Wen Zhuo replied with a hint of apprenhension that he father would not agree. “May I go, father?”

Duke Fai Jun sighed and stroked his beard before commencing, “This mission will not only give Prince Enjun experience in the real world, but I think it could do you some good to learn new places and people. Besides, you are his closest friend, and the emperor will be happy to know that you would protect him well.”

“Thank you, father,” Wen Zhuo said with a suppressed smile, but then he remembered his mother. “No, I cannot go and leave mother alone.”

“Don’t be silly,” Duke Fai Jun rebuked. “Your mother will be very well taken care of by all her doctors and me.”

“Are you not going father?” Wen Zhuo said in surprised.

“No,” he replied, annoyed at his son’s dependence and soft heart. “The emperor has other duties for me to attend to up north. I trust that you will be in charge and make sure the mission goes smoothly down in the south.”

“Yes, father,” Wen Zhuo said quickly. “I won’t let you down.”

Duke Fai Jun nodded and got up from his chair to depart. Wen Zhuo obediently escorted his father to the door.

“Please tell mother that I will be home soon,” Wen Zhuo said at the doorway.

The sun has not yet emerged from its slumber, when Wing Yi awoke by the sound of knocking at the door. She rubbed her eyes sleepily, as she stumbled out to answer the door. With one eye opened and the other closed, she saw a stout figure standing in front of her.

“Tao Gong Gong!” Wing Yi gasped in perpetual confusion, once she recognized him.

Standing at the entrance, he gave a quick “humph” and raised his left eyebrow.

“Prince Enjun has asked me to gather everyone for the departure,” he retorted without looking directly at her. “We will be leaving in ten minutes, so I suggest you get your belongings and follow me.”

“I understand,” Wing Yi replied drowsily, heading to her bedroom. “Please come inside and have a seat, Tao Gong Gong. I will be out shortly.”

Tao Gong Gong walked over to the table and poured himself some tea. Since it was cold tea, he quickly spitted it back into his cup.

“Disgusting!” he mumbled to himself, taking a hankerchief to wipe the edges of his mouth. In his fury, he did not hear Gai Gong Gong approaching from behind.

“Tao Gong Gong,” Gai Gong Gong said in a low tone. “Are you here for Tieu Wing Tu?”

Tao Gong Gong, caught off-guard, jumped and dropped his teacup.

“Look at what you have done!” he cried out in disdain, as the tea landed on his lap. “Now I have to change clothing!”

He gave Gai Gong Gong a perching glance before storming out.

Wing Yi, who had just emerged from her bedroom, was surprised to see Gai Gong Gong picking up the teacup from the floor. With a baggage swung behind her left shoulder and a sword in her right hand, Wing Yi walked up to Gai Gong Gong.

“Oh, there are you are,” he said with sad smile, as he beckoned her to take a seat beside him. She placed her baggage and sword on the table and took a seat beside him.

“I see that you will be departing earlier than I had anticipated,” he said, trying to break the tension. “Have you gotten all your things with you and ready to go?”

“Yes, Gai Gong Gong,” Wing Yi answered softly, looking at her baggage. Already, tears have begun to formulate, and she did her best to hold them in.

“Give me your hand, child,” he told her with a sigh.

Wing Yi held out her right hand, and he held it with both of his. She finally found the courage to look Gai Gong Gong eye-to-eye.

“I know I keep saying this, but please be careful,” Gai Gong Gong said with a sad tone. “Above all, be safe and take care of yourself.”

Wing Yi could only nod in response.

Just then Tao Gong Gong came back with a new pair of brightly colored clothing and was fanning himself nonstop at the entrance.

“The Prince is waiting,” he demanding sternly.

Wing Yi slowly got up and put on her baggage and held her sword.

Tao Gong Gong stared at the sword in her hand with apprenhension.

Gai Gong Gong walked with her to the door. Wing Yi stopped and turned around to face him.

“I am sorry to be leaving you, but please take care of yourself Gai Gong Gong,” she said with a forced smile and a heavy heart.

“Have a good trip,” he said, waving as Wing Yi followed Tao Gong Gong down the corridor. Once they finally disappeared out of sight, he gently closed the door, and a tear rolled down his left cheek.
    Last edited by tido; 07-19-03 at 12:38 AM.

heyaz tido!
    u make me wanna cryjokes!!!
    i feel so sorry for wing yi and gai gong gong dere almost lyk father and daughtre they have such a close relationship dere man and its sad to see dem parting from each other!!!stupid tao gong gong!!!!i cant wait til siu chun meets wing yi its gonna be so exciting!!!!!!!hehehe cant wait till u update next!!!update soon dun keep me in suspense!!!!!
    btw i added u to my yahoo list!
    cyaz bondylove
    Mr 2co0l

I will update my fanfic soon, my computer been having problems so I couldn't update. Anyway, the parting scene between Wing Yi and Gai Gong Gong was so touching. Stupid Tao Gong haven't change one bit. Can't wait for the meeting between Siu Chun and Wing Yi. Update!

Hiya BondyLove
    Haha...my first guy reader! Sorry, I didn't realize before the other day. And also, sorry that I didn't update sooner like I had said. Talk to you later!

Hey Jeh
    Sorry to hear about your computer problems, but I am glad that you will soon update your fanfic. Bye for now.

To anyone still reading, enjoy!

What Lies Beyond the Gates

“Hurry up!” Tao Gong Gong demanded, hastily leading the way down the dimly lit corridors.

“Yes…yes,” Wing Yi replied as she tried to keep up with him.

Suprisingly enough, for a man of his size, he was very light on his feet. Even she had a hard time keeping up with his pace.

A few feet away, Wing Yi saw a hand waving flagrantly in the air and then the familiar voice of Prince Enjun. Tao Gong Gong quickened his pace as he steered towards that direction, holding on to the flank of his dress clothes.

When the two, out of breathed and drained, approached the waiting team, Prince Enjun was there to greet them.

Both Tao Gong Gong and Wing Yi quickly bowed, when they saw the prince standing before them.

“About time you made it,” Enjun commented with a smile, but his smile faded when he noticed Wen Zhuo was not present. “Isn’t Wen Zhuo with you two?”

Tao Gong Gong looked nervously at Wing Yi, not knowing how to respond.

“I am here! I am here!” Wen Zhuo’s voice was heard from a distant.

Then a figure emerged from the corridor, carrying a baggage and a long sword in his chest.

“I am sorry, Prince Enjun,” Wen Zhuo apologized, and bowed respectfully.

“Master Wen Zhuo,” the Wing Yi and the others retorted and bowed simultaneously.

Wing Yi giggled slightly, upon seeing Wen Zhuo’s clothes with a missed buttoned collar.

Wen Zhuo cringed his nose when he saw her expression, trying to keep a straight face.

Enjun rolled his eyes and laughed, “You were always the last one.”

“I think everyone is present,” he commanded in a more serious tone, turning his attention to the servants and soldiers. “Let’s not waste anymore time. Go tell the guards to open the gates.”

A soldier obeyed and hurriedly ran off to deliver the message.

Tao Gong Gong, taking the opportunity, rushed up to Enjun and escorted him into a large horse-drawn carriage.

Wing Yi had not noticed uponing arriving, but the departing team consisted of ten wagons drawn by two horses each, six oversized bronze chests on three more wagons, and finally about fifty armed soldiers in all. There were also ten preened horses for the privileged riders.

She had not realized that this expedition would require so much preparation. Enjun and Wen Zhuo were both dressed like ordinary rich gentleman. However, they weren’t wearing their usual attires. Of course, the soldiers were dressed in soldier clothing but not as imperial guards. Even she and the other eunuch dressed like servants in order to not reveal their identities as eunuchs. Wing Yi had been previously preoccupied with thoughts and not to mention too sleepy to realize the outfit that she had on. While waiting for the others to take their positions and assemble, Wing Yi finally looked down and examined her own attire. It was even plainer than her eunuch clothing. The outfit is a dark navy blue with white trousers underneath. However, one thing remained the same: it was her black cap with a green jade as an accent to the solid black. Wing Yi did not mind the change of attire, but the new clothing was not as comfortable as her old eunuch clothing.

Wen Zhuo quickly mounted on a black horse and prepared for departure with his baggaged on his back with his sword hung on the side of the saddle. On the horse, waiting for everyone to get ready, he yawned and rubbed his eyes constantly.

Tao Gong Gong had already taken the initiative by tagging alongside Prince Enjun, and in the process taking Wing Yi’s spot in the carriage. As the result, when Wing Yi got up to the carriage, the soldier told her the spaces were all filled and that it cannot hold any more occupants.

“That’s okay,” Wing Yi responded with a bit of disappointment. “I don’t mind walking with the others.”
    Wen Zhuo saw his little friend’s sad expression and offered, “Tieu Wing Tu, you can ride with me.”

Wing Yi was overjoyed and immediately accepted Wen Zhuo’s kind gesture.

“Thank you, Master Wen Zhuo,” she kept saying, grinning with excitement. “Thank you!”

He laughed at her childish bliss and helped her mount the horse.

The soldier had returned and announced it to Prince Enjun. In response, Enjun gave the driver orders to depart. Wen Zhuo tightened his hold on the leather reins, and Wing Yi tightened her hold. Since they were the riding alongside the Enjun’s carriage, they had a responsibility to protect him from harm. Four horse-ridden soldiers rode in front to lead the way, followed by Enjun’s carriage. Wen Zhuo’s horse rode along the left side of the carriage. On the right was another armed soldier. The supplies and the rest of the soldiers followed close behind.

Seated comfortably on the horse, Wing Yi looked back at the rest of the team.

“Won’t it be a long way for them to walk?” she asked with a guilty conscience, tugging at Wen Zhuo’s shirt.

“Yes, the distance is quite long, but we will try to slow the pace down a bit and let them rest along the way,” he reassured her. “However, we still have a schedule to keep.”

Wing Yi was dwelling in her thoughts, when she was quickly jotted back into reality as the team made way out of the enormous gate entrance. Still tightly holding on to Wen Zhuo, she turned her head around to get one final glimpse at the Foribben City.

The serene and tranquil atmosphere is still present. The residents are all still sleeping soundly, untouched by the signs of a new day.

“Good bye,” she whispered, just as the guards resealed the gates.
    Last edited by tido; 07-22-03 at 11:40 PM.

Yay, an update!! Ooh, I'm just so eager to see what will happen on their journey

Another update...enjoy!

Jeh: yeah, I plan to make the journey memorable but the traveling itself will be quick since I want to get to Siu-Chun sooner.

I was bored and did yet another poster.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://users.domaindlx.com/cupnoodle/crossdresser40.jpg')

The Long Ride

The initial journey was calm like the gentle breeze that brushed Wing Yi’s cheeks. It has been a while since Wing Yi had to wake this early. She drowsily nodded her head back and forth, in rhythm with the horse’s trot. The cool air made her even sleepier. The servants and soldiers seemed like sleepwalkers as they followed the prince’s carriage.

Wen Zhuo, who had been yawning uncontrollable before the departure, was now wide-awake and alert. He knew his duties, and he was not about to let his father down. Now that the horse resumed a slow trot, Wen Zhuo loosened his hold on the rein, but his eyes are constantly scanning the perimeter.

“Tieu Wing Tu,” Wen Zhuo said softly. “Are you awake?”

“Ahh…huh,” Wing Yi replied sleepy, eyes barely opened.

After giving her response, she dozed off once more. This time she was really knocked out, resting her head on his back and snored lightly.

Wen Zhuo laughed to himself, while he resumed his course.

Even Tao Gong Gong was asleep, along with the others in the carriage. Bored, Enjun pulled back the curtain of the carriage eager to see where they were.

He saw Wing Yi sleeping on Wen Zhuo’s back and smiled, “Wen Zhuo, where are we now?”

“We are going through the city,” Wen Zhuo answered, glad to break the silence. “The busy street is unoccupied this early in the morning, so I think we will be able to make it out of the city within a hour or so. Why aren’t you resting?”

“I couldn’t sleep,” Enjun replied with a hearty laugh. “Too excited I guess. And beside, I have to stay awake to make sure you can stay awake.”

“Yes,” Wen Zhuo agreed, gazing back at her. “Even Tieu Wing Tu can’t stay awake.”

“Yes, I see,” Enjun sighed with a smile and then a yawn.

“Well, it seems like I will be needing to close my eyes for a little bit,” Enjun said before closing the curtain. “Please inform me when we have made it to the roads. Just remember not to doze off too.”

“Yes, Prince Enjun,” Wen Zhuo mocked.

After an hour, the team had made it out of the city and was headed towards a dusty, uncompleted road. By now the soldiers had broken out of their sleep walking state and was alert, weapons posed and ready.

The open space would make them more susceptible to unknown enemies, even with soldiers on guard. The leading horseman decided to quicken the pace, in hopes of traversing through this risky course.

Poor Wing Yi was unaware, as she slept soundly. She was rudely roused, when a gust of wind carried some dust into her nostril.

“We are already there?” she asked through periodic sneezes, slowly grasping onto her new environment.

“Not even close,” Wen Zhuo replied. “We are only one tenth of the way there.”

“It is so dusty,” she commented, using her left arm sleeve to shield the flying dust.

“Hold on,” he advised through closed mouth. “The road is a little bumpy.”

“I am sorry that I fell asleep,” Wing Yi said apologically.

“Don’t worry,” he reassured with a smile. “However, from now on, we all need to be on alert. The further we travel, the more risky this mission becomes.”

“Yes, sir!” she agreed, looking over at the carriage traveling alongside them. “Is Prince Enjun sleeping too?”

“I bet he is just like you,” Wen Zhuo said with a mocking laugh. “However, heading into this remote territory, he must be informed. Would you like to do us that pleasure?”

“No problem!” Wing Yi said excitedly, peering over at the carriage. “Prince Enjun?”

After a few seconds, the curtain was slowly raised, and Enjun sleepy face emerged.

“What is it?” he asked, annoyed at the distruption of his slumber.

“Master Wen Zhuo wishes me to tell you that we have gone out of the city,” she answered promptly.

“Ah…I see,” Enjun said with a yawn. “Where are we now Wen Zhuo?”

Before answering him, Wen Zhuo added with a smile, “From now on, everyone has to be called by his real name. Prince Enjun is now Master Enjun, and I am no longer Master Wen Zhuo but just Wen Zhuo. Remember that we are supposed to be under low profile.”

“Yes, sir,” Wing Yi said apologetically.

“We are now in the Zhuang Xai province, but these roads are unnamed due to incompletion,” Wen Zhuo answered systematically. “Hopefully within two more hours we can reach the bigger road.”

“When do you think we will reach the river?” Enjun continued, eager to pursue this mission.

Wen Zhuo sighed and smiled slightly, “Well, with so much luggage and equipment including the horses, we must travel by land. Going on boat is a bit too troublesome. My father recommended that we take the slow but safer route.”

“Oh,” Enjun said with a bit of disappointment in his voice. “I have never gotten a chance to ride on a boat. I only know about this river through a map.”

Wen Zhuo remained quiet, clearly seeing his friend’s disconsolate expression.

Wing Yi, who had remained quiet up until now, spoke up, “Master Wen Zhuo is right, Master Enjun.”

The two guys both shifted their attention to her as she proceeded.

“The land route will be much safer,” she said monotonically, looking out into the vast expanse, as she recollected the incident that occurred six years ago. “The river can be very unpredictable.”

“You have been across the river?” Enjun asked, curious of her life before the palace. “Was that how you came to the palace?”

Wing Yi nodded slowly and remained quiet, her hold slightly tightened on Wen Zhuo’s waist.

Wen Zhuo, sensing her tension, answered for her, “I would think so, since the route by water cuts the traveling time by half.”

Wen Zhuo had always found it strange that Wing Yi never once mentioned about her life before the palace or even where she grew up. However, knowing that everyone has a past, he did not want to bring back painful memories, and therefore the topic was never mentioned.

Enjun looked with puzzlement towards Wing Yi, and then he turned to Wen Zhou for explanation. Wen Zhuo saw his puzzling look and answered with a sad smile and a slight shake of the head. Fortunately, Enjun caught on and quickly changed the topic.

“Well, at least the weather is nice,” he said kind of awkwardly while examining the blue sky. “Being stuck sitting in this carriage, I cannot aptly admire its beauty.”

“Yes, but you must,” Wen Zhuo chimed in. “Safety is our main concern. And besides, a carriage is much more comfortable than sitting on top of a saddle for hours on end. Am I right, Tieu Wing Tu?”

With her mind absorbed in other matters, Wing Yi gave a weak, “Yes, I agree.”

Seeing her in this strange trance, the two guys resort to discussing the trip.

“After we have reached the main road to Tianjiu,” Wen Zhuo said. “We will be able to stop at an inn for the night. If the weather holds up, we will be able to get to ZheungZhou by the end of the second day.”

“So long,” Enjun said with a long sigh. “I guess I might as well go back to sleep.”

“That would probably be wise,” Wen Zhuo replied with a smile. “Tieu Wing Tu and I will alert you if the plans are changed.”

“Very well,” Enjun said with a genuine smile and retreated to his carriage.
    Last edited by tido; 07-25-03 at 01:47 AM.

Yay, another chapter!!! I sense something will happen on their journey Nice poster. Anita look pretty as always, glad to see Siu Chun back on the poster again Update more.

Another update! Enjoy!

Hey Jeh: Yep, you are right...something will happen soon I hope. Well, we both have to wait and see. Even I am not sure yet...hehe. Bye for now!

A Night at the Inn

The hours passed surprisingly rapid. It was already nearing nightfall, as the sun slowly disappeared behind the horizon. Along the way, they made periodic stops for a quick resting and dining. Only the prince enjoyed a long and enjoyable meal. He slept most of the way, since there was not much to do. Wing Yi became quiet throughout the day, rarely speaking unless necessary.
    By now everyone’s feet are sore and eyes can barely be kept open. The arrival at a nearby inn was definitely long awaited. A figure of a man appeared from the inn. The skinny man was the innkeeper, who quickly came out to greet the arriving guests.

“How are you today, sirs?” the man greeted with a warm smile.

Enjun got out of his carriage with Tao Gong Gong following close behind. Wen Zhuo dismounted and helped Wing Yi down. They gathered in front of the man.

Enjun returned the greeting and added, “We are in need of an inn for the night.”

The old man nodded knowingly and asked, “How many rooms will you be needing, sir?”

Enjun looked to Wen Zhuo for an answer.

“We will need thirty rooms,” Wen Zhuo answered immediately.

“Will that be all, sir?” the man added, looking at Wen Zhuo.

“Yes,” he said, realizing that the precious supplies must be carefully stored for the night. “Do you have a place where we can set our cargo?”

“Yes, sir,” the old man answered promptly. “I will have my men take care of them for you.”

Tao Gong Gong interrupted and declared, “The cargo will be safer if we had a few of our men guarding it for the night.”

“But they need to rest as well,” Wen Zhuo defended. “The trip has been laborious.”

“Yes, sir,” Tao Gong Gong said with contradiction, fanning the prince. “I understand, but could they not also take turns staying up?”

“His suggestion is reasonable,” Enjun spoke up.

Wen Zhuo knew that he was defeated and said in response, “Then, I volunteer to stand guard for tonight.”

Wing Yi, who had been silent throughout the conversation, spoke up, “I also volunteer, since I’ve not been walking on foot.”

Wen Zhuo, standing beside her, smiled proudly.

Tao Gong Gong rolled his eyes and smiled smugly to himself, as he continued to fan the prince.

“Thank you, you two,” Enjun commended. “I appreciate it.”

The old man, happy that the issue was quickly resolved, interjected and urged, “Shall we go inside and have some meal first.”

“Yes,” Enjun said exhausted from sitting in the carriage all day. “Please show us the way.”

The team followed the old man inside the inn and managed to fill up most of the vacant seats at the tables. The people that were already there, looked up from their meal as the Enjun walked in, followed by fifty of his people. The murmurs rose, as people looked suspiciously their way.

Tao Gong Gong did the honors by finding a table for the prince and then proceeded to wiping off the chair with his handkerchief.

“I have found a seat for you sir,” Tao Gong Gong advertised with enthusiasm, waving the prince over.

Enjun nodded in Tao Gong Gong’s direction and then addressed Wen Zhuo and Wing Yi, who were walking alongside him, “Come and take some meal with me.”

The three continued to chat, as they made their way over to Tao Gong Gong. His eyes blazed, as he saw Wing Yi coming over, but remained quiet.

“Have a seat,” Enjun offered his friends.

Wen Zhuo took a seat next to Enjun. Tao Gong Gong quickly propped himself next to Enjun, before Wing Yi took his spot. Wing Yi was content to fill in the vacancy.

The innkeeper quickly made his way over to their table to wait on them first.

“What would you like to have tonight?” he asked joyfully. “We have many tasty dishes cooked by our main chef.”

Enjun sighed and scratched his head, “Butler Tao, why don’t you order for us.”

“Yes sir,” Tao Gong Gong said with excitement, happy to be noticed by the prince. The old man then goes over to him and proceeded to take down orders.

Wen Zhuo and Enjun were busying discussing the trip, while Wing Yi got a chance to look at the surroundings. The inn was fairly large, with three stories and two flights of stairway leading to the dining room, where they were now seated in. The decorations included brightly red upholsters and a big wooden sign on the second floor that read, “ Enjoy your stay at the Joy Inn.” The workers were busy waiting on all the customers as they rushed to fill up orders and deliver the dishes. With so many people talking all at once, Wing Yi could only barely hear Enjun calling her from the opposite end of the table.

“Tieu Wing Tu,” Enjun kept repeating to get her attention.

“Yes,” Wing Yi quickly replied, turning back around in her stool. “You called me, sir?”

Both Enjun and Wen Zhuo laughed, but quickly stopped when a man sitting at the table next to them mentioned about the famine in the south. Even Wing Yi listened in, along with everyone at her table.

“Yes, I have heard from a relative that several hundreds of people have died in the past several weeks,” one man said, stroking his beard. “I don’t know how many will die in the upcoming months. Besides, winter is nearing and the people have nothing to stock up on before then. Businesses have dropped dramatically. The most disturbing news that I have heard is that the people there have resorted to burgulary and theft to feed their children. Crime is becoming ever more rampant.”

Another man at the table commented on his friend’s remark with a bitter tone, “The officials there definitely have their hands full. If only they had handed out their supplies sooner, this problem would not have been so damaging. Where is the help from our emperor? Where is he when his people need him the most?”

“Shh…” the other man reminded him, trying to sedate his friend’s anguish. “Don’t say such things in public. If someone were to report you for uttering such slanders, the penalty is death for sure.”

“How dare you?!” Tao Gong Gong shouted at their direction, getting out of his seat.

Suddenly the entire room was silent as all eyes focused at Tao Gong Gong.

Enjun and Wen Zhuo could only looked upon him with shock and disbelief.

The angry man stood up from his stool and walked over to Tao Gong Gong. He looked at Tao Gong Gong, eye to eye.

“What is it any of your business?” the man demanded.