Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tomb of God by Chen Dong

Post Tomb of God by Chen Dong

Hello, just reading through 神墓 (D̶i̶v̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶G̶r̶a̶v̶e Tomb of God is a better trans) by 辰東 (Chen Dong) and translating as I go. My Chinese and English are pretty crappy, so sorry about that!

Title: Tomb of God 神墓
    Author: Chen Dong 辰東

An ordinary youth resurrects from ancient Shen Mu ten thousands years after his death...

Raws: big5.qidian.com/Book/63856.aspx

Translations also posted here: zoengsaiwaa.wordpress.com/ and moonbunnycafe.com/shen-mu/
    Last edited by Zoeng Saiwaa; 08-05-15 at 03:02 AM.

Post V1C1

Volume 1: Leaving Shen Mu 第一卷 走出神墓

Chapter 1: Ancient Tombs of Gods 第一章 远古神墓

Throughout the boundless and desolate universe, black sky and yellow earth condensed… even if one was freed from the six realms of samsara, they would find it difficult to avoid the upheaval of heaven and earth…

Shenmo Cemetery was located at the center of Tianyuan Continent. Excluding the burial sites of the strongest of humankind and other various top ranked practitioner beings, at every grave was buried an ancient god or devil. This place could be considered as the resting site of gods and devils.

The fragrance of fresh flowers wafted from the velvet carpet of grass in the cemetery. If the cemetery didn’t have the scattered forest of stone tablets, it could be thought of as a garden. Towering snow maple trees surrounded the cemetery. It has been said that these trees—unique to Shenmo Cemetery—specialized in dissipating the spiritual qi of the gods and devils.

The deep verdant foliage of the snow maple tree softly swayed with the breeze as if reminiscing the glorious days of old. Immaculate snow white petals drifted in the air like snowflakes. These were the tears of deities expressing their past grievances.

The city of the dead’s daytime and nighttime had sharply contrasting sceneries.

Dense mist of immortal qi radiated holiness throughout every inch of the cemetery during the day; it was apparent how formidable the ancient gods and devils were. Even the Western Angel could be seen dancing and the Eastern Fairy could be heard singing. The entire cemetery carried a certain divine atmosphere.

If daytime was the paradise of gods, then nighttime was the land of devils.

When the sun set in the west and the curtain of night fell, dark devil qi erupted from the graves, even causing the stellar light of the moon and stars to lose their luminescence and the heaven and earth to become bleak. At this time, legendary demonic illusions could be seen: evil illusory shadows engaging in wanton massacre in the cemetery. The shrill wails of ancient evil spirits could be heard. Just the mere sound of these howls was enough to cause indescribable head pains.

Both divine and terrible, Shenmo Cemetery served as the sacred place where practitioners from both eastern and western Tianyuan Continent could congregate and worship. During the day, people could be seen paying homage. Even at night certain special practitioners could be seen mourning: Eastern Rushing Corpse, Western Undead Mage…

Only at sunset was the cemetery peaceful without a hint of sound.

The time of sunset had once again arrived; the time for the scenery to once again alternate. The sunset’s brilliant afterglow rendered Shenmo Cemetery solemn and somewhat peculiar.

Every gravesite was carefully taken care of. Every gravesite had an assortment of flesh flowers in front of it.

At the side of a group of especially exalted tombs was a low, small grave. This small grave was not at all conspicuous and was without fresh flowers; just a simple, small mound of earth. The elements had long ago eroded this nameless, forgotten grave in the corner.

In the sunset’s afterglow, the exalted tombs appeared even more grandiose, while the nameless grave appeared even more unremarkable. However, an unusual event began at this moment: cracks slowly appeared on the small grave. Soil began to tumble off its top.

A pale hand stretched out from the middle of the grave, followed by another. Two hands had erupted out and gripped the edges of the grave. The confused face of a young man slowly emerged from the grave. His long disheveled long hair was moist and caked with dirt. His clothes were tattered and pressed tightly against his body. Other than his incredibly pale complexion, he appeared perfectly ordinary, like the kind of person that no one would ever notice.

“What is this place? How am I here?” the boy muttered to himself. Seeing the tombs in front of him, he grew even more confused.

Suddenly, he took notice of some inscriptions at the side of a tomb beside him. At this time, if someone were to see this boy focusing on the ancient writing inscribed on the tomb, they would definitely be startled. Even the old scholars of the Ancient Culture Research Organization could only bitterly shake their heads and sigh when faced with this kind of ancient writing.

As soon as he finished reading the inscriptions, the boy’s expression dramatically changed and he frightfully exclaimed, “Eastern Martial God Zhan Wuji’s Tomb? This… is this real? Is this really that all-powerful legendary figure who criss-crossed the three worlds and six realms unhindered, Zhan Wuji? Could it be that… even gods can’t escape death?”

Beside him was another divine tomb which again caused him to recoil in shock. “Western Warrior God Kai Sa’s Tomb, Kai Sa? Could it be that Western God who wore the golden armor and wielded the holy golden sword?”

As if he had just thought of something, he turned his head to look in all directions. Every exalted tomb stood tall and upright and appeared especially dazzling in the sunset.

“Eastern Xiuxianist Fairy Mu Dan’s Tomb, Western Wise Goddess Na Si’s Tomb, Eastern Martial Immortal Li Changfeng’s Tomb, Eastern Xiumoist Ao Cangtian’s Tomb, Western Great Devil Emperor Lu Xifa’s Tomb…”

“Heavens! What is this world? Could it be that… those old deities have already died and… have been buried here?” The youth’s expression became miserable, an indescribable look on his face.

“But… the deities of eastern Xianhuan Continent and western Mohuan Continent… how could they be buried here together?”

Suddenly, the youth noticed the small grave at his feet and froze momentarily. Cold sweat seeped through his tattered clothes as if he had sunk into an icehouse.

“I… I crawled out… from this grave…” His eyes dulled and his mind blanked, as if his soul was spirited away. Lifelessly, he fell softly onto the ground.

“I’m Chen Nan, I already… died, but… I’ve revived…”

After a while, Chen Nan’s dull eyes gradually showed signs of life, revealing an astonished look on his face. “Heavens! What happened?! Since I’ve already died, how could I crawl back out from the grave?!”

“Could it be that heaven wants this useless person to continue living a mediocre life?!” After his surprise, other than confusion, pain could be seen on his face. He shut his eyes and cradled his head.

He clearly remembered how he was defeated and killed in a duel, however at this moment…

Memories resurfaced in his mind one after another. That previous memory, that forgotten memory, that unforgettable memory… it truly pained his heart with regret!

The world was as boundless as before, the grass and flowers were just as fragrant as before, but his heart unceasingly swayed to and fro.

After a long time, Chen Nan rose up off the ground and took a look at the cemetery around him. Finally, his eyes landed on that group of exalted tombs. He slowly calmed from his astonishment.

“The hardest golden tombstones are clearly etched with thousands of years of vicissitude. The deep blue sea changes into mulberry fields[1]; so many years have already gone by. Haha… a dream for the ages!” sighed Chen Nan.

Looking at the forest of stone tablets, his heart swelled with uncertainty.

“Howling Heavenly Tiger Xiao Zhen’s Tomb, Three-Headed Devilish Dragon Gai Rui’s Tomb, Martial Sage Liang Feng’s Tomb, Heavenly Knight Ao Tuoli’s Tomb… other than gods and devils, I can see some powerful humans and a few other strange practitioners.”

“What the hell happened ten thousand years ago? How did these so-called immortal gods and devils die? How could the deities of Xianhuan Continent and Mohuan Continent be buried here together? Why the hell am I buried here?”

A slight breeze blew through his unruly long hair… and through his unruly, lonely heart.

Chen Nan cried to the heavens, “Who can tell me what the hell has happened?”

No one answered him.

Countless petals from the distant snow maple trees drifted and scattered through the sky. The falling blossoms were like a rain of tears—the departed deities were weeping!

“Gods die, devils die, but I still live… Heaven, why do you let me crawl back out from my grave? What do I do now?”

The sun was setting beyond the western hills[2]. The sunset’s afterglow dyed half the sky crimson. The clouds tumbled passed the gilt edge of the horizon.

Chen Nan collected his thoughts. He knew some things in life were just uncontrollable, and he only had the ability to move forward one step at a time.

He delicately filled in the small grave at his feet with dirt. Afterwards, he began to leave the cemetery. Passing through the dense spiritual qi in the snow maple forest, he couldn’t help but be stupefied. Never before had he seen trees with such a great affinity for absorbing spiritual qi. He inwardly suspected that during the years he spent ‘sleeping’, a new species of tree had emerged.

Whenever the immaculately white flower petals drifted passed Chen Nan’s face, he would temporarily become disorientated as his dust-laden memories slowly resurfaced. This was the season for flowers to fall…

He recalled from his heart ‘her’…

“The deep blue sea changes into mulberry fields; the human world ebbs and flows… ai!” Shaking his head, Chen Nan took large strides away from the forest.

By the time he left the snow maple forest, the sun was setting passed the horizon. The once calm Shenmo Cemetery was no longer tranquil. Dark devil qi leapt out from the graves and unceasing darkness began to envelope the entire cemetery.

Chen Nan could barely make out the sound of a growl from behind him, but he paid it no mind; after sunset, of course beasts would come out to prowl. Stretching his muscles, he said to himself, “Ten thousand years, but my body isn’t rusty yet.” He knew that his own martial ability wasn’t too good, but it was probably sufficient to deal with any old beast.

Not too far from the snow maple forest were three thatched cottages. A man as emaciated as a fowl stood at one of the doors. He had a thick beard and a face carved with wrinkles, evidence of his hardships.

Bafflement surged from Chen Nan’s heart; this was the first person he’s seen since his revival. He felt a hint of friendliness, a hint of loss, and a hint of confusion…

When he was born ten thousand years ago, his parents were the ones who had welcomed him. After his revival ten thousand years later, he was met with this old man.

“How will my parents and this old man compare with one another?” he said mockingly at himself.

The old man propped himself upright with a crutch and shakily made his way towards Chen Nan. It was a frightful scene as it seemed like a mere gust of wind would blow him off his feet.

Chen Nan hastily moved forward to support the old man, but the old man waved him off, signaling him to relax. With a reproving tone, the old man spoke a few sentences, but Chen Nan couldn’t understand a single word.

That incomprehensible voice immediately froze his heart as he realized ten thousand years have passed; the language of his age had already been discarded by history.

He had originally hoped that the old man could explain the current world to him, but the apparent language barrier quickly dashed his hopes.

Chen Nan’s stiff countenance caused the old man to soften his tone, but seeing the loss on Chen Nan’s face, the old man frowned and pulled Chen Nan towards the cottages.

The stupefied Chen Nan followed the old man. His intuition told him that the old man was without malicious intent, but because of the language barrier, he could only feign ignorance.

After leading Chen Nan to the cottages, the old man pointed at a bucket on the ground and at a water well not too far away. Then, he entered one of the cottages.

“Having me fetch water? Could it be that he wants me here as a laborer?” Chen Nan secretly suspected.

But when the old man reappeared from the cottage, Chen Nan knew he was wrong about him. In the hands of the old man was a set of new clothing. Obviously he wanted Chen Nan to change.

Seeing the light smile on the old man’s face, Chen Nan’s face reddened. He was dressed in rags with disheveled hair and a filthy body.

Dejection flashed in Chen Nan’s heart. Ten thousand years ago, how could he be this poverty-stricken? He silently lifted the bucket and headed towards the well.

Using his vital qi and a bit of effort, the tattered clothes on his body completely disintegrated onto the ground.

These used to be his divine silk clothes! Time really is ruthless. Even his treasured impenetrable clothing couldn’t avoid the test of time!

Ice cold well water cleansed his body of filth, but it couldn’t cleanse the agony in his heart.

“What should I do? I can’t understand the modern language, so I can’t communicate with anyone. How the hell will I survive in this world?!”

Chen Nan filled out the old man’s clothes very well. To show his gratitude, he went up to the old man in front of the thatched cottage and gave him a warm smile.

The smell of cooked rice soon wafted through the air. The old man slowly went up to the hearth and beckoned Chen Nan to follow.

Chen Nan lifted up the bowl of congee that the old man handed to him and sighed in his heart, “Ten thousand years. Who would’ve thought that I would be able to sit at a dining table again? The world is truly hard to predict!”

His stomach was completely empty and wasn’t suited to eat any oily food; a bowl of congee was perfect. After dinner, the sky was already dim. Chen Nan followed the old man into the cottage. The old man lit a candle, illuminating the entire cottage with a warm glow.

The cottage was simply furnished: a wooden bed, a handful of chairs, and a desk.

The desk was spotless. Ten or so books were placed neatly on top, but Chen Nan couldn’t recognize the writing on any of the books’ covers. After ten thousand years, the common language had changed beyond recognition, giving Chen Nan a sense of loss.

After the old man went into another room, Chen Nan reclined in a chair. Countless thoughts and feelings were rushing through his mind, but he was not one bit happy.

Although he had originally been from an illustrious family ten thousand years ago, he himself was merely mediocre. His life had been one of immense pressure. He was fed up with the pain and had long ago grown tired of that kind of life. If not for his inability to quell the worry in his heart, he did not think death was necessarily a relief.

The god of destiny makes fools of the people; ten thousand years later, he would unexpectedly continue his life. Although he had finally broken away from that heavy stress, everything had already changed…

Chen Nan felt agonized beyond compare. The spirits of his family and friends had already gone to the netherworld. His close female confidante had also gone back into the yellow earth. Now that he has been left to live alone in this world, he no longer felt any joy in life.

He laughed at himself. “Is it really I who has broken free from history, or is it history that has abandoned me?”

The candle went out with a final flicker of a spark, leaving the cottage completely dark.

Outside the window, the stars shone and the night was especially serene, but Chen Nan tossed and turned on his bed, unable to sleep.

Using his ancestral profound skill, he forced his heart to calm down. He wanted to see if his power was still the same after ten thousand years.

His vital qi flowed like small streams within his body. After ten thousand years, his strength had not changed one bit.

Through the painstaking use of his profound skill, his senses immediately sharpened. He faintly heard the sounds of wretched roars coming from the direction of the cemetery. These sorrowful roars were truly hair-raising!

“There’s this many beasts? This old man is so old, yet he watches over the graves by himself. This really is too dangerous!”

Chen Nan didn’t know that at this time, the old man had already returned to Shenmo Cemetery with a basket of fragrant snow maple flowers in hand. In the face of those demonic illusions and illusory shadows, the old man paid no mind. He placed a cluster of pure white jade-like flower petals in front of every grave. His devotion was extraordinary.

Because Chen Nan’s ‘former residence’—the small grave—was now empty, the once protruding mound of dirt had caved in. The grave was almost completely gone. Only a very slight bulge remained.

The old man quivered as he moved towards the small grave and cried out, “Ai! Who told you not to have a tombstone? I’m afraid from now on you’ll be forgotten by the people. Actually, this isn’t too bad. Less glory, but it’s quieter. No one will disturb you now. Return to where you once came.”

With these words, the old man slowly squatted and stretched out his hands, carefully flattening the remaining mound of dirt. The small grave completely disappeared. Ten or so petals floated down, leaving behind their scent.

The first thread of sunshine shone in through the window in the early morning. Chen Nan opened his drowsy eyes and said to himself, “Weird, why didn’t father send someone to make me practice today? Oh, right, he’s already entered the realm of immortals; he can’t harass me to cultivate anymore.”

Suddenly, he noticed the simple furnishings of the cottage and abruptly sat up. After a while, he muttered, “Turns out this is all real. Ten thousand years have quickly gone by!”

He lightly pushed open the cottage door and arrived at a courtyard. He breathed in the refreshing morning smell of fresh flowers and grass. A faint mist flowed and ebbed around the forest. Birds unafraid of people jumped up and about in the trees, tactfully chirping. Chen Nan closed his eyes, letting his heart take in this harmonious scene.

“You’re awake?” The old man’s voice came from behind.

Chen Nan couldn’t understand his words and could only return a smile.

After eating breakfast, Chen Nan pointed into the distance at the end of a winding road and signaled to the old man that he was leaving. Before he left, Chen Nan kowtowed deeply to the old man.

He arrived at a small town after some time. Because of his ordinary appearance and clothes, no one paid particular attention to him.

At this time, Chen Nan was both happy and worried. Happy because this was the start of his new life, but worried because he couldn’t understand a single word of the modern language.

To his amazement, Chen Nan found that other than those black-haired, black-eyed, a hundred surnamed[3] people like himself, people had blonde hair and green eyes, red hair and blue eyes, blue hair and black eyes…

“It seems like too many things happened during these ten thousand years. I better hurry and blend into this society.”

Suddenly, Chen Nan felt a chill run up his spine and his heart froze. Relying on his intuition, he knew he was under the scrutiny of an expert.

From afar, a fifty year old Daoist priest shook his head at the sight of Chen Nan’s back and exclaimed, “Strange. Just now I clearly felt that this kid had a peculiar aura. Why is it that when I carefully examined him, it went away?”

Not until the Daoist priest walked away did Chen Nan dare to turn his head to look. He could only see the silhouette of his back, which calmly radiated the elegance of an enlightened immortal.

Chen Nan recalled the words of his father: “Chen Nan, you must remember! Wanderers who are capable of seeing through the aura technique of our ancestral profound skill are not simple. If they aren’t a genuine expert from a martial sect, then they’re an enlightened Daoist. You must be especially careful!”

“He’s a Daoist! This kind of person rarely meddles with worldly affairs, right?” Chen Nan deeply understood that this kind of person was truly terrifying. Even advanced martial experts didn’t dare make enemies of them.

His father’s words rang through his mind. “…reforming the mortal body, concentrating the fundamental essences of life, until their longevity rivals that of the heaven and earth and the sun and moon; this is Daoists’ ultimate goal, and it’s also the realm of immortals. We martial artists follow a path that goes against heaven’s will in order to try and reach the legendary realm of immortals. In the eyes of many, the path of us martial artists is inferior to that of Daoists’, but…”

His father spoke no more, but Chen Nan clearly understood. Martial artists really can’t compare with Daoists, and his father was the best example of this, even though those successful Daoists had treated him like an equal.

With this in mind, Chen Nan’s heart stirred. “I don’t know if father reached his ultimate goal of entering the realm of immortals, but if he did… maybe one day father and son can meet once more.”

But once he recalled that forest of gods’ and devils’ tombstones in the cemetery, he panicked in his heart.

“If father had entered the realm of immortals, maybe he also couldn’t avoid…”

He immediately became forlorn.

Pedestrians on the street came and went. The calls of buying and selling and the lively hustle and bustle of the market surrounded Chen Nan, but he felt incomparably lonely. He felt discarded by the world. History had ruthlessly abandoned him.

“I’ve always been mediocre. Since I’ve been dead for so long, why would I crawl back out from the tombs of gods?”

A large black cloud floated through the sky causing the color of the sky to immediately darken.

Hong!

With a boom of thunder, the shops at the sides of the street quickly shut their doors and the pedestrians hurried along. Soon, the busy street was cold and desolate, leaving behind only a solitary figure at the street’s center.

With a flash of lightning and another clap of thunder, heavy rain poured down. Ice cold rain water penetrated Chen Nan’s clothes. He felt his body chill, but what chilled even more was his heart. The desolation and cold in his heart was unmatched.

“Heaven and earth are so vast, but where’s my home?”

Between heaven and earth was a curtain of rain. A lonesome figure remained unmoving on the street. The downpour pummeled his body.

Ten thousand years ago, Chen Nan had come from a martial family. In the field of cultivating martial arts, he had been blessed with the upmost talent. Everyone thought highly of him. However, a nightmare had soon begun. The cultivation of his ancestral profound skill didn’t advance, but rather, it declined. His Mahayana actually dropped from the second Chongtian back down to the level of the first Chongtian.

Back then, his father had already stood at the pinnacle of the martial way. With this kind of family, it was inevitable that he was being observed from all directions. Chen Nan had obviously faced tremendous pressure.

During those drab days, cold scorns, heated insults… they replaced the pressure that was once blasted at him from all around. It left him at an utter loss of what course to follow.

However, there was one person who had believed in him, believed that he would definitely have great achievements one day. Recalling ‘her’, Chen Nan grew depressed. An indescribable sorrow boiled in his heart.

“Yu Xin, did you know? My biggest regret is never telling you those three words: ‘I love you’.”

How easy time flies by; rosy cheeks easily turn old[4].

The never-ending pain in Chen Nan’s heart was Yu Xin, his life’s biggest regret.

In a state of frenzy, Chen Nan staggered down an alleyway and felt his lungs were about to burst.

Wa!

A spurt of blood shot out of his mouth onto the muddy ground.

“Yu Xin…” His vision became dark as he lost consciousness.

[1] 滄海桑田/deep blue sea changes into mulberry fields; meaning ‘the world is quickly changing’.

[2] 日薄西山/the sun is setting beyond the western hills; can also mean ‘nearing one’s death/end’.

[3] 百姓/hundred surnames; referring to someone with a typical Chinese surname.

[4] 紅顏易老/rosy cheeks easily turn old; meaning ‘beauty is fragile’.
    Last edited by Zoeng Saiwaa; 08-05-15 at 02:16 AM.

your English is fine, looking forward to this translation unless I can't wait and read it myself..
    Last edited by alyschu; 05-13-15 at 10:10 AM. Reason: did not compliment in first post
    Translating: Ni Tian Xie Shen (逆天邪神) – Against the Gods by Mars Gravity @ https://alyschu.wordpress.com/

Thanks Zoeng, look interesting, jiayou

Am wondering is it a thing in china to spurt a mouth full of blood when in pain cause this is third time am see this phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by schnitter View Post
    Am wondering is it a thing in china to spurt a mouth full of blood when in pain cause this is third time am see this phrase.
    Coughing up or spitting blood can be related to an internal injury, which is quite serious. Also, being hit in the face will likely cause bleeding in the cheeks from hitting the teeth. In this case, too, people will spit blood.

But yeah, it is very common to have people spitting blood in Chinese novels, at least from what I have read.

Post V1C2

Chapter 2: Breathtaking 第二章 驚艷

When Chen Nan opened his eyes, he found himself lying on a wooden bed. The cushy mattress gave him a sense of warmth and coziness.

The sky had dimmed long ago, but it continued to rain. An oil lamp gently shone in the middle of the house.

The pitter-patter of rain, the comfortable bedding, the gentle light, Chen Nan’s heart filled with warmth. He felt right at home.

With a light push of the door, a fifty year old woman and a fifty year old man entered the room with friendly faces. The woman said, “You’re awake. Kids these days really don’t know the severity of their actions, running around outside during the rain.”

Chen Nan didn’t understand the modern language of the continent, but understood that the old woman had good intentions. He hurriedly leapt off the bed and greeted the old married couple.

It was only now did he realize he was dressed in a new set of clean, dry clothes.

“Auntie, thank you!”

The woman gave him a blank look, obviously not understanding Chen Nan’s words. The old man thought nothing of it; there were many different kinds of people on the continent, of course there would be some that spoke different languages.

Chen Nan followed the old man out of the house. At the same time, a youth entered. The youth was about eighteen or nineteen years old and had a sturdy build. He flashed Chen Nan a friendly smile.

Chen Nan smiled in return.

After eating dinner, Chen Nan expressed his thanks towards the couple, then returned to his room and slept.

In his dream, the beautiful image of a woman emerged from a sea of flowers and left with another shower of flowers, but not before leaving behind a barely discernible whisper: “I’ll wait for you… Until we meet again…”

Soon afterwards, Chen Nan dreamt of his father, Chen Zhan. Chen Zhan’s expression was wise and abstruse, as if he could see through any worldly illusion. He faintly said, “People who ascend to great heights surely must feel inferior; people far away surely must be near. In this world, what is important is not where you are, but the way in which you approach the direction you move towards!”

Chen Zhan’s image gradually vanished, and Chen Nan’s mother materialized instead.

“Leave behind your ostentatiousness, die ordinarily…”

One after another, the images of those once close to Chen Nan materialized before slowly vanishing.

Early in the morning, Chen Nan woke up and pushed open the door. The rain had since stopped, and a rainbow was suspended up in the sky, offering the world a magnificent scene.

“Ten thousand years. What else can I not surrender? I need to start anew!” Chen Nan cried out loudly.

He decided to face reality and start a new life.

Time was like an arrow, flying like a shuttle. In the blink of an eye, half a year went by.

Chen Nan relied on his martial abilities to become the most outstanding huntsman in the small town. Every day, the number of prey he caught would be several times larger than those of other huntsmen. Relying on the profits from his hunting, he purchased a small courtyard. Other than hunting and cultivating his skills, he mainly spent his time learning and studying the continent’s modern language from the town’s residents. Although he couldn’t directly communicate and speak with others, he could already more or less understand the words of those around him.

In addition, Chen Nan continued to change his mentality, accepting reality. He no longer felt lost or confused, and he already began to blend in with society.

Ever since Chen Nan began to understand the modern language, he began to grasp the changes that flipped the world upside down during the last ten thousand years.

Originally, only a single channel of water separated Xianhuan Continent and Mohuan Continent. A great earthquake had violently occurred at this link and pushed the two together.

Xianhuan Continent in the east and Mohuan Continent in the west each had great, unique civilizations. After the continents joined together, because of differences in culture and religion, the ethnic races of the two former continents experienced daily friction with one another. Along with escalating tensions due to their conflicting views, the two sides broke out into war.

This was a time of catastrophic warfare. The battlefield comprised the entire continent. Nowhere was safe. Blood flowed like rivers. Countless able-bodied men were enlisted into the army, never to return. Several million commoners died tragically. A record number of people perished, and a miserable fog of death clouded the entire continent.

The war grew more and more desperate. In the end, the Holy Western Church dispatched magi and temple horsemen to tip the scales in their favour. Eastern martial arts experts and Daoists—who had originally isolated themselves from worldly affairs—also engaged in warfare. From east to west, a huge confrontation between practitioners began: vital qi against battle qi, flying swords, Daoist magical weapons against magic. On the battlefield, sword qi and battle qi raged haphazardly. The power of Daoist weapons and magic dazzled and flared.

In the end, neither side emerged victorious. After the great war, the battlefield was littered with countless corpses. On the continent, the pitiful cry of geese[1] resonated.

Both parties, now having experienced the gruesome bloodshed, realized the tremendous danger of war. In the end, they signed a ceasefire agreement.

Time can weather anything. After a thousand years, the tensions eased, and the conflicting views of the various ethnic groups slowly faded away. The initial attempts at merging the ethnicities together were successful. Xianhuan Continent and Mohuan Continent were replaced by a single merged continent—Tianyuan.

“So that’s how it is. No wonder this town has so many different ethnicities. So this is due to the merger of Xianhuan Continent and Mohuan Continent. No wonder I came across fire-breathing wolves when I was hunting; turns out, it’s a Magical Beast from the west.”

Chen Nan was incomparably shocked after learning of this, but simultaneously, he felt that many matters were clarified.

After another half year, Chen Nan finally grasped the modern language of the continent. He deeply understood the affairs of Tianyuan Continent and completely assimilated into modern society.

It was only natural that he still found some matters to be hazy; he never understood what had happened to all those gods and how all those formidable deities had died.

He had asked around town, but no one could answer him.

Finally, an old man in the town said to him, “Child, not only you want to know the answer to this question, but many people all over the continent would like to know, but it remains an unsolved riddle.”

Chen Nan said, “It seems like when the war erupted between the two continents, it directly led to the deities fighting one another.” With that said, he felt his heart stop beating. Just how powerful were they? He was floored.

The old man shook his head and said with a smile, “Child, you really are imaginative. In fact, a thousand years before the two big continents broke out into war, Shenmo Cemetery already existed. No one knows when it was actually built, and even fewer know who built it.”

Chen Nan cried out in alarm, “What? Before the two continents merged… the two continents’ deities were already…”

The old man nodded. “Correct. When so many graves of deities were found there, the whole world was shocked. Countless practitioners rushed there. Even Mohuan Continent’s practitioners dangerously crossed the channel to visit. Since then, Shenmo Cemetery has been regarded as sacred. The strongest people throughout history are buried there, showing their prowess.”

“However… Shenmo Cemetery is located at the boundary between the two continents. Why didn’t the earthquake destroy it?”

The old man sighed. “Shenmo Cemetery was a place of riddles all along.”

In this year time, Chen Nan had wished to go pay a visit to that old man guarding the cemetery, but he never went.

“Since I’ve already started a new life, I should forget about going back to Shenmo Cemetery and visiting the old man caretaker and just leave them in my memory.”

The span of one year isn’t too long or too short, but Chen Nan viewed this year as one of great meaning. He learnt the modern language and softened his mentality. From there, he felt that there were no longer any vicissitudes, and he no longer felt a sense of desolation. He had regained his youthful vitality. He decided to leave the small town and travel around the world.

Since Xianhuan Continent and Mohuan Continent were now merged together, a grand, unending mountain range extended forever into the distance at the border. Small towns at the edge of Xianhuan Continent, at the newly formed boundary between the two continents, were not even twenty li east from the endless mountain range.

No one dared to enter the depths of the mountain range because not only were there vicious, ferocious beasts, but also the ancient giants of legends. To ordinary people, that place was without a doubt a land of death. Even the most seasoned huntsmen of nearby towns only dared to hunt near the mountain range’s surroundings; they did not dare to even take one step into the abyssal mountain range.

Gigantic dragons capable of flight, colossal ancient giants… These rumours deeply enticed Chen Nan. When he decided to leave the small town to travel, the first stop he wanted to explore was near this ‘great, fearsome, vicious land’.

Before his departure, Chen Nan gave away his house as a present to that old couple who had took him in when he had first arrived. With that, he took great strides away from the small town.

The wheel of history begins to turn. From here, the legend starts!

By his lonesome, Chen Nan walked into the depths of a large mountain. He had already spent three days travelling through the endless mountains, seeing countless vicious beasts. Unable to defeat those beasts, he actively avoided them.

“There aren’t too many extraordinary beasts here.”

Suddenly, a giant figure flew by, leaving behind a violent gale.

Chen Nan couldn’t help but turn pale in fright. He raised his head to look around and saw a giant, thirty zhang long ‘strange bird’ soaring through the air above him.

The entirety of the strange bird was dark green with sparkling specks. Behind its body, it dragged a ten zhang long tail.

“Holy! A featherless—no—a fully fish-scaled strange bird! Its tail really is too ugly,” he gasped in surprise.

If someone were to walk by, they would surely ridicule Chen Nan’s ignorance for not being able to even recognize one of the most valiant creatures on the continent—a dragon. But at the same time, they would admire his courage; in front of a dragon, this fool would unexpectedly dare to ‘appraise the head and discuss the feet’[2].

This green dragon clearly didn’t notice the insignificant creature on the surface of the ground, nor did it hear its ‘idle gossip’. Otherwise, it would undoubtedly dive down and tear that insignificant creature to shreds.

Seeing the green dragon gradually disappear into the distance, Chen Nan awoke from his stupor and said in hindsight, “That can’t possibly be one of those legendary dragons. This… this is just too much. That whole thing was just a long, winged, pregnant lizard! It must have come into existence due to the strange dragons of Mohuan Continent mingling with the divine dragons of Xianhuan Continent. Simply… ai!”

Of course, Chen Nan had never seen Xianhuan Continent’s legendary mythical beast—the dragon—but the legends of divine dragons were really innumerable! From those legends, one could pry a little into the world of dragons. Furthermore, from exquisite sculptures, one could also make out the appearance of the perfect creature that is a dragon.

A Western Gigantic Dragon had flown by before his eyes just a moment ago, leaving him incredibly disappointed. Maybe that green dragon was tyrannical, but he had a feeling that the Western Gigantic Dragon absolutely couldn’t compare with an Eastern Divine Dragon.

Chen Nan said to himself, “If there was a day I could see an Eastern Divine Dragon with my own eyes, that’d be good. Alas, that green dragon just now was really too… ugly.”

He didn’t know how the green dragon would feel after hearing his words, but it probably wouldn’t think ‘racial discrimination’, but rather, it would directly ‘carry out the land’s proper decree at once’ and execute him on the spot.

There were a countless number of extraordinary scenes in the mountains, including clouds and fog coiled around mountain peaks; strange, craggy stone forests; and gushing waterfalls streaming into small ponds.

Chen Nan stopped at the peak of a mountain. Above his head, the blue sky seemingly cleansed him. Below his feet were white clouds rolling like magical breaths. His heart surged endlessly.

“Ten thousand years. Haha~! Who can lament ten thousand years? I, Chen Nan, can! Haha~!”

Chen Nan slowly settled down from his excitement. He looked at the indigo sky and truly felt ethereal.

A pure bluish green brook zigzagged down the mountain side. After Chen Nan descended the summit, he felt his body begin to unusually heat up. He energetically plunged into the brook. After making use of his ancestral profound skill to still his breathing, he drifted along with the current. After an unknown amount of time, he felt the speed of the current begin to slowly relax until it completely stopped. He opened his eyes and saw that the brook kept flowing off into the distance, but he had been flushed into a clear pool at the riverbank.

Suddenly, a splash came from the middle of the pond. An extremely beautiful scene came about in front of Chen Nan. A woman arose from the middle of the pond like a lotus flower breaking into the surface, elegant and refined. Long, jet-black hair was dripping wet on her shoulders. Specks of water droplets rolled down her jade-like cheeks. Maybe she shouldn’t be called a woman; instead, she should be called a girl, as she appeared to be only sixteen or seventeen years old. Along with her incomparable complexion were two quick-witted eyes with long eyelashes, a straight, refined nose, and a small, rosy mouth. She gave off the impression of a fairy, a pure angel.

Looking even further down, what Chen Nan saw made his nose bleed. The proud girl’s elegant twin peaks had just poked out from the surface of the water. The lustre from the floating, puzzled girl caused his most primal desire to flare up.

Meanwhile, this girl also took notice of Chen Nan. Those two big, quick-witted eyes immediately exuded alarm. She shrieked and called out, “Ah! Come guards, a hoodlum!”

Chen Nan was greatly startled. He never expected this cliché situation to happen to him. The accusation of being an obscene, licentious person would undoubtedly be hard to scrub away. In a moment of desperation, he hurriedly leapt forward and embraced the girl to cover her face and her mouth. That tender, slippery nude body in his bosom made him feel like his blood vessels were bursting.

Suddenly, great strength rushed forth from the girl’s body and, all of the sudden, Chen Nan was sent flying. At the same time, her body, as graceful as a swallow, fluttered out from the water and landed ashore. She quickly threw her clothes back onto her body.

When that great strength surged at Chen Nan, he knew what had just conspired was far from good. This seemingly beautiful and pure girl was a skilled expert of a martial sect. He felt that this girl’s cultivation was much higher than his own. If he hadn’t soundlessly floated to the girl, it would’ve been impossible to come across her.

A dozen or so silhouettes flew out from the nearby grove. Simultaneously, a brilliant, undulating light shot forward from the trees and a light blue screen appeared before the girl. Those dozen or so flying guards arrived at the girl’s side, protecting her at the center of their formation.

Chen Nan could now be considered a resident of Tianyuan Continent. Just now, that brilliance that he saw should’ve come from the spell of a magus. At the same time, he noticed that the cultivation of those dozen or so guards was not inferior to that of martial experts. He felt his head begin to ache. The protective formation of these guards clearly meant that this girl was absolutely not ordinary. If not a noble girl, then she was the daughter of a prestigious family. He provoked a person that shouldn’t have been provoked.

Three magi emerged from the nearby forest. The three were very young. One of them mumbled a few words to himself. With a wave of his hand, the brilliant protective screen around the girl faded away.

As soon as the magical protective screen was about to disappear, the girl angrily shouted, “Quickly grab that person and let me kill them! Quickly!”

Chen Nan promptly shouted, “This beautiful young lady, please listen to what I have to say…”

“You shut up! What are you guys staring at? Hurry and bring him to me!”

At present, this peerless beauty’s face was covered with murderous intent, itching to slice and dice Chen Nan.

“It’s a misunderstanding…”

Nevertheless, the three magi walked forward and one of them said, “Freed from the world, thy Water Spirit, please heed my summons, Column of Water.”

The air fluctuated. With a crash, a column of water leapt up from the water’s surface and attacked Chen Nan.

Chen Nan originally didn’t pay much mind to it, but when that column of water just came into contact with him, he discovered its tremendous hidden power. He hastily dodged to the side.

Tong!

The column of water struck the surface of the pond, causing an enormous wave to push Chen Nan towards the girl on the shore.

“What! That girl will rip me apart if I make it to the shore.” Chen Nan hastily swam back.

Tong!

At this time, that magus who had summoned the column of water once again chanted a spell. The undisturbed water surface once again fluctuated forward and layer after layer of waves rushed towards Chen Nan, stubbornly pushing him towards the shore. Those guards protecting the girl promptly stepped forward, encircling him.

Chen Nan sprang out from the water, flashed an unsightly grin, and said, “This is truly a misunderstanding…”

“Shut up! You guys quickly grab him and lie him down on his stomach,” the girl ordered.

These dozen or so guards contained both men and women. Although they were young, none of them were weak. They all pitifully looked at Chen Nan, as if he were already a piece of meat on the chopping block.

Chen Nan knew that this battle was unavoidable, so he pre-emptively launched his attack. His pair of palms pushed outwards. Layer upon layer of afterimages of his palms struck out. With that, his body soared into the air, intending to leap out from the encirclement. Obviously, the guards didn’t give him the slightest opportunity. Two guards effortlessly neutralized the flapping of his hands and flew up into the air after him, forcing him to descend.

At the instant when his body began to descend towards the ground, he threw a palm technique behind him, suddenly thrusting him forward. Without turning his head, he threw out another palm backward.

Hong!

Chen Nan shakily blasted forward. Just before he hit the ground, his face flushed red with embarrassment. A fresh spurt of blood filled his mouth, but he swallowed it back down with great difficulty.

Those guards seemed to understand Chen Nan’s situation clearly. Again, they formed a circle with him in the middle. A woman who seemed to be the leader of the guards walked towards him. This female chief was awfully pretty and had the appearance of being unable to withstand the wind. Still, Chen Nan didn’t dare to be careless; he knew this girl was absolutely not weak.

A razor-sharp sword flashed like lightning at Chen Nan. In the blink of an eye, a blade appeared before him. Chen Nan quickly dodged to the side, but a strand of his hair was still cut by the woman’s slash and floated to the ground.

He inhaled a mouthful of cool air. This woman’s swordplay was like lightning, and he wouldn’t be able to put up any resistance without first advancing in his ancestral profound skill, improving upon his first Chongtian of his Mahayana. While Chen Nan was momentarily distracted in his thoughts, the pretty woman once again attacked. With a longsword in hand, she pierced in a flash towards his vitals.

After the two exchanged thirty or so moves, Chen Nan proved inferior and was struck backward by the woman’s palm strike. Falling over, he spat out three mouthfuls of blood.

The guards held Chen Nan up and brought him in front of the girl he had seen in the water.

“Hmph! You smelly hoodlum trying the same old tricks! I even thought you were something special!” The girl sneered.

A whiff of cool air went through Chen Nan’s heart. The expression of the girl before his eyes was completely different than that of the one he had seen in the water. She was a completely different person. When he had seen her in the water, she had seemed like a small angel. But now, he sensed that a beautiful, small demon was the one standing in front of him.

“This… en! Xiaomeimei, just now, I truly didn’t mean to offend you. I was afraid of you crying out and causing me unnecessary troubles, so I threw myself at you and embraced you…”

“Shut up.” The girl was shooting fire from her eyes. She lifted up her tiny foot and gave him a ferocious kick.

Chen Nan realized that he shouldn’t budge an inch, much less say a word.

The guards protecting the girl had maintained steady, calm attitudes the entire time, but hearing Chen Nan’s words, their faces immediately changed colour and they yelled out in succession, “What? This stupid bastard has the impertinence to humiliate Her Highness the princess? He really should be hacked to pieces.” Then, they hurriedly went down on their knees and shakily said, “Subordinate deserves death! We failed to properly protect Your Highness the princess.” Everybody’s faces were covered with cold sweat.

Now, the princess regretted what just conspired. She regretted giving Chen Nan the chance to open his mouth and ‘speak rubbish’, making her feel beyond ashamed and unable to properly face her subordinates.

The little princess, flustered and exasperated, said, “You guys too! This bastard is spouting off rubbish, how can you believe his crap? I already noticed him when he was far away. Am I supposed to give you guys a chance to show off? I already dealt with him before you came.”

Her fierce gaze arrived on Chen Nan lying on the ground and she said, “Hmph, you dare to slander and insult this princess. I’ll have you viciously beaten to death.”

Chen Nan didn’t move an inch and didn’t say a word. He heard her clearly, but he didn’t expect this girl to be a princess.

The guards clearly didn’t believe the princess’s words either. In their hearts, Chen Nan was a low-class scoundrel without any sense of shame. They advanced towards him and beat him senseless until his body was like a pincushion, bitten by ants, until he hovered between life and death. In just a short span of time, Chen Nan’s body was black and blue with bruises.

“Enough, he’ll die after a few more hits.” Seeing Chen Nan covered in bruises, the little princess happily smiled. She seemed to be satisfied by this outcome. The young bodyguards stopped trampling all over him and moved aside. The princess flashed Chen Nan a charming smile and walked over.

Chen Nan inadvertently disgraced an imperial princess and was almost cruelly beaten to death. His heart relaxed, thinking that his punishment had ended.

The princess giggled sweetly into his ear, “Your kind of fellow’s lust encompasses the heavens, actually wanting to mix yourself with this princess. Luckily, this princess is wise, brilliant, always one step ahead, and figured out what you were trying to do. If you had peeked at me, then what face would this princess still have? I’d be mocked to death.”

Chen Nan stared blankly at her. “Wait a minute, what did she just say? Isn’t she smiling at me? But by the tone of her voice, it doesn’t seem like the situation is very good.” He continued to look at the princess and felt uneasy. Although the princess’s smile was sweet, wickedness crept through it. He couldn’t help but shiver and break out into a cold sweat.

The princess sweetly laughed, “Come men, castrate him.”

Weng!

A loud ringing rumbled through Chen Nan’s mind and his vision blurred. Now, the princess’s smile was undoubtedly brimming with viciousness. He thoroughly understood: this was a little demon with the outward appearance of an angel.

[1] 哀鴻遍野/pitiful cry of geese; meaning ‘the land was covered with victims of disaster/famine’.

[2] 品頭論足/appraise the head and discuss the feet; meaning ‘to find fault in minor details/be overcritical or nitpicky’.
    Last edited by Zoeng Saiwaa; 08-05-15 at 02:18 AM.

Thanks Zoeng. “Come men, castrate him.” Hahaha I like this story. Keep up the good work.

this story is already interesting right off the bat!! thx for doing this!

Do you have another link for the Raw?

thanks for the tranalations !!... more pls 😁

Thanks. Waiting for the next update.

Post V1C3

Chapter 3: Little Demonic Princess 第三章 小惡魔公主

Seeing the little demon smiling so sweetly, he felt his body shudder. He wanted to struggle, but he couldn’t move a single step. He wanted to yell, but no sound came out. His clothes clung to his skin from the cold sweat.

“On someone’s cutting board, I serve as the fish meat[1]. I just recently began travelling, so of course I’d suffer some tragic experiences. Heaven, you won’t make a fool out of me, right?” The fear in Chen Nan’s heart reached an extreme level. If he were castrated, he might as well be dead.

After issuing her order, the little demonic princess turned to the side. The faces of the female guards flushed red as they followed her.

One of the male guards unsheathed his longsword and deliberately waved it back and forth in front of Chen Nan, scaring him into shutting his eyes. The chilling point of the sword pushed up against his skin, immediately raising a swell. The guard flashed Chen Nan a smile filled with evil intentions as he moved his longsword towards Chen Nan’s lower body. This ‘wait’ caused Chen Nan unbearable suffering. In just a miniscule amount of time, he collapsed in convulsions.

The little demonic princess, after waiting so long, still didn’t hear his scream. She couldn’t help but feel that this was strange. She turned around and saw her subordinate mentally torment Chen Nan and thought that this was rather amusing.

The princess quickly walked towards them and, with a pleased expression, nodded her head towards her subordinate. Everyone was left wide-eyed and slack-jawed when they saw the longsword in her hand. She patted his face with her longsword and said, “Interesting, who knew this rapist would be so afraid of death.”

Chen Nan noticed that the little demon had returned, and with a longsword in hand at that. She held the blade between his nose and eyes, incessantly rocking the sword until his face turned a fearful green. If she wasn’t careful in swinging that sword around, then he wouldn’t need to worry so much about being castrated anymore.

Seeing Chen Nan so terror-stricken, the princess was delighted. She gently stroked the side of his ear with the edge of her sword and cut off a strand of hair. When the strand of hair reached his neck, Chen Nan’s face changed.

He saw the guards looking at him with smiling expressions; they understood the princess all too well. Although the princess was already sixteen, she raised a ruckus like no one else could. She was witty and naughty, sometimes resembling that of a mischievous child. She was unpredictable, leaving others unable to protect themselves against her.

The little demonic princess seemed to be tired of her play. Wielding the longsword, she directly swung it towards his lower regions, startling the guards who promptly shouted, “Your Highness the princess, you cannot!”

These assistants were really frightened, but their level of fright was second to that of Chen Nan. If the emperor were to discover that his young daughter had taken matters that would disgrace the imperial household into her own hands, he would be enraged, and those guards would be put to death.

The princess’s face was void of joy as she questioned, “What are you guys doing? You still want to meddle in my affairs?”

A female guard broke out of formation and said, “Princess is of great importance and nobility, she mustn’t… She mustn’t do…”

“Hmph!” The princess threw her sword onto the ground, and her face resumed its cold demeanour. She turned around and ordered, “Bring him with us. I’ll need to sort him out slowly.”

Chen Nan, who had been wallowing in despair and fear, seemed to hear the call of an immortal rescuing him from the netherworld as he finally saw a trace of hope. He let out a long sigh. This really was a little demon!

At the princess’s side, there were altogether twelve guards, six of which were male and six of which were six female, and three male magi.

All of them were young, but their skills weren’t inferior. The three magi had effortlessly forced Chen Nan out of the water. Then, the female warrior had knocked down Chen Nan in about thirty moves. From this, one could sleuth a little of their actual strength.

Chen Nan’s body regained its freedom, but the little demonic princess didn’t release his mute acupoint[2]. It was true that ‘obstructing the people’s voice is more frightening than obstructing the flow of rivers’!

He inwardly muttered, “These people also have black hair and black eyes. It seems like they’re also easterners, but some of them can also actually use magic. In all likelihood, when the two continents merged together, the upper class people already started to learn all kinds of different methods of cultivation, resulting in easterners being able to grasp a little bit of western magic. Westerners can probably grasp some eastern martial arts now as well.”

Chen Nan watched as the little demon hopped and skipped through the mountain forest and he inwardly cursed, “Twist your back, sprain your ankle, fall over…”

But he was disappointed each and every time. The little demonic princess resembled a little bird broken free from its cage—cheerful and lively. Occasionally, she would even run up to him and brutally smack his head or painfully pull at his ears.

Chen Nan truly suffered under her onslaught. Although he had already used his ancestral profound skill to secretly release the little demon’s Single Acupoint-Attacking Technique, he had no choice but to ‘cutely’ remain mute.

When they were resting at night, Chen Nan wanted to covertly slip away, but whenever he moved his body even the slightest bit, the guards standing night vigil would cast a cold gaze into his direction. They left him no choice but to abandon his plans to escape.

“I didn’t think that I, Chen Nan, would actually be reduced to this state. Little demon, you mustn’t chop off my…”

The party had already spent three days traveling through the great mountains. Previously, they had spotted a massive dragon flying above them and the huge footprints of an ancient giant. These sightings granted the little demonic princess plenty of excitement. Every time this happened, she would make Chen Nan ‘voice’ his happiness, leaving Chen Nan to spit his ‘excitement’ out onto the ground.

To Chen Nan, this was a truly painful journey. He felt nothing but hate and irritation towards the princess, but he could only endure.

After two days, Chen Nan finally figured out the identity of this group and what the journey’s goal was.

The little demonic princess was the Emperor of Chu’s youngest daughter, Chu Yu. She was the emperor’s favourite and was endlessly doted upon by the Emperor of Chu and the Empress. The guards protecting her were trained by the emperor as specialized men of sacrifice, loyal and devoted to the princess. As for the three magi, they weren’t genuine magi, but were currently still in training.

In a few more months, it would be the Emperor of Chu’s sixtieth birthday. In order to convey her filial piety, she had secretly snuck out of the palace in order to travel to the western borders of Chu to pluck a legendary Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus to serve as a present for the emperor. In regards to her subordinates, she had threatened them again and again to accompany her out.

“You guys tell me, after I obtain the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus and give it to father, what will his facial expression be like? En, I think he’ll certainly smile from ear to ear and allow me to freely enter and leave the Imperial City as I like. Hehe, this is too great! Afterwards, I can play wherever I want, and no one can stop me, hehe…”

Chen Nan exclaimed in his heart, “Right now, she seems so cute, just like a genuine angel. She has the appearance of an angel, but the temperament of a demon!”

All the imperial guards cringed. Although they were forced by the princess to accompany her, the emperor surely wouldn’t just let this be. Instead, he’ll probably punish them once they return.

“Hmph! Did you guys eat bitter melon? I’ve told you guys many times already, father certainly won’t punish you guys.” The princess was somewhat unhappy. Seeing Chen Nan beside her, she said, “Hmph! This degenerate has the cheek to secretly smile! Come over here and let me practice my skills on you!”

Until two days ago, the princess always called Chen Nan a rapist, but after a female guard quietly told her a few things, the princess became aware of what she was implying and, feeling ashamed, beat Chen Nan up in a fit. Afterwards, she stopped called him a rapist, choosing instead to call him a degenerate or a smelly thief.

Chen Nan braced himself, unwilling to go over. He prayed in his heart, “God, Buddha, angel sisters, although I know you guys are living ‘happily and prosperously’ in Shenmo Cemetery, don’t you guys still have this faraway relative? Please descend here. Demons, ghosts, Lord of the Netherworld, quickly come grab your sister and bring her away.”

In these two days, he had served as little demonic princess’s punching bag a number of times already. The princess’s skill in martial arts was unusually high. She devastated him, giving him a bloody nose and a swollen face. It was too detestable to even look at.

The princess evilly laughed at Chen Nan, “Why do have such a worried look and a bitter face? Don’t tell me that accompanying me in practicing my martial arts is too difficult to bear? Hmph!”

“Hehe, I’ve progressed. Not bad. I’ll test out these moves again. Hehe, now you know how awesome I am. It’s too funny, hehe…” The joyful laughing of the princess, proud of herself, echoed throughout the forest. Another nightmare began for Chen Nan.

On the sixth day, the party finally arrived at their destination. A volcano appeared in their sights. Clouds of smoke poured out from the volcano, as if it could erupt at any time.

Chen Nan was inwardly fearful. “This terrible little demon really is insane, coming to a volcano to pluck a Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus.”

The princess’s imperial guards were unceasingly anxious. One of the magi-in-training asked, “Your Highness the princess, does the mouth of the volcano really hold a Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus?”

The princess was slightly unhappy and replied with a groan, “Naturally it does. Are you guys scared?”

That magus-in-training hurriedly replied, “No, of course not. We pledge our lives to help Your Highness the princess pluck the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus.”

The princess explained, “When my old teacher accidentally found the Immortal Lotus here, it hadn’t matured yet. After calculating it, these two days are the most optimal to pluck it.”

A female guard reminded her, “Your Highness the princess, I’ve heard people say that all immortal treasures will have spiritual beasts protecting it. I don’t know if this Immortal Lotus…”

“Oh, if you didn’t remind me, I would’ve forgotten. My teacher said there are some small snakes there. En, can’t you guys deal with some small snakes? You just have to pay a little attention,” said the princess, carelessly.

Chen Nan muttered in his mind, “Pay a little attention?! Are the spiritual beasts that protect immortal treasures so easily beaten? The nerve of this little demon really isn’t that of an ordinary shit. Not good, I mustn’t be at the front. I should stow away at the back.”

The party embarked on their trek. Chen Nan moved slowly until he was finally left at the rear.

“Degenerate, you go to the very front.” The crystal clear sound of the princess’s voice ruined Chen Nan’s plan.

He cursed in his heart, “Little demon…” He was extremely unwilling to lead the party at the very front.

“Yi! Degenerate, what’s up with your face, you really don’t want to? Don’t tell me that you want to learn whatever whatever skills like those experts and have a battle with me at the summit? Wow, very good! Then let’s have a battle at the peak of the volcano,” the princess called out happily.

Chen Nan sighed in his heart, “Demonic princess!”

The closer they got to the mouth of the volcano, the higher the temperature of the air became. The heat left them stifling hot and the rocks under their feet became increasingly more scalding. Chen Nan was somewhat nervous, constantly guarding against and dodging the little snakes hiding in hidden crevices.

Everyone finally reached the summit. Bursts of smoke bellowed out from the mouth of the volcano. The air was unbearably scorching. The mouth of the volcano was like an oven. Beads of sweat that dripped onto dark brown volcanic rocks on the ground would immediately vaporize into steam.

A strong, flowery aroma could be smelled from the bellowed smoke, causing the gloomy and exhausted party to immediately perk up and become refreshed.

Inside the mouth of the volcano, on the side of a steep precipice, a bright, fiery light could be seen through the smoke. The fragrance was coming from that exact place.

The princess laughed, “There really is a Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus! Teacher didn’t lie to me. Hehe, this is too great.”

Everyone equipped protective muslin masks around their mouths and noses. The princess took a look at Chen Nan, threw him one, and said, “Hurry and put it on. The toxicity of this smoke is really high.”

Chen Nan felt a hint of appreciation towards her, but it immediately disappeared when he heard her continue to say: “Hurry and put it on well. Hurry and pull that snake out of it.”

He inwardly said, “A demon is always a demon!”

The smoke continued to bellow out from the mouth of the volcano. Their vision was awfully limited. As they looked down, they could only barely make out a dim brightness; it was without a doubt the glow of lava. Chen Nan trembled in fear as he circled the volcano’s mouth. He prayed in his heart that the snake had fallen asleep.

The aroma emanating from the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus grew stronger and stronger. A light wind dispersed the smoke coming from the volcano and Chen Nan’s vision immediately cleared.

The Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus took root three zhang down the inside of the volcano and was about half a meter tall. Its whole length shone in fiery brilliance. Nine sparkling, translucent red leaves grew off its stem. The top of the flower was shaped like a lotus, but was far brighter and more beautiful by a hundredfold. Luminous, blazing petals glistened as if they were carved out of jade. Its remarkable lustre seized the eyes.

More smoke bellowed out from the volcano and the sight of the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus gradually became more and more obstructed, until only a sliver of its blazing glow could be made out. Suddenly, Chen Nan sensed an immense crisis in his heart, as if he were prey being stalked by ‘someone’.

A pitch-black cave mouth appeared not too far from where the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus was situated. In the cave, two blood-red spots glistened and dazzled. With a deafening rumble, a countless number of gigantic rocks tumbled from the cave and dropped into the volcano’s depths. A colossal monster emerged from the cave.

Chen Nan was beyond terrified; his soul simply spirited away from his body. That colossal monster was actually a massive snake’s head, about the size of a house. Those two glistening and dazzling blood-red spots were actually its pair of scarlet eyes which were each about the size of a washbasin.

Honglonglong!

With another rumble, countless crushed rocks poured into the volcanic abyss. The Monolithic Snake slowly pushed out of its cave, exposing a length of its gorgeously-coloured serpentine body. Its body was fully covered with scales the size of palm-leaf fans. They flickered and flashed, bewitching and frightening.

“W-we’re going to die. Th-this is what the little demon told us… the little snake? ****… Th-this is too ridiculous,” cursed Chen Nan as he shuddered.

The Monolithic Snake stopped moving and its two blood-red eyes stared at Chen Nan. Meanwhile, it opened its gigantic mouth, exposing a set of thick, white venomous fangs as sharp as swords. They were each about half a meter long, malevolent and terrorizing.

Chen Nan felt a cold stream rapidly spread from his head to toes. His body broke out in goose bumps.

Suddenly, a two zhang long blood-red forked tongue shot forth from the mouth of the Monolithic Snake and coiled towards him. A fishy stench came forth, strong enough to make anyone nauseous.

“Ah~!”

Chen Nan yelled, turned, and jumped, his speed reaching the fastest he’s ever achieved. He ran and shouted, “Demonic smelly princess, I’m going to ****ing—! You want to ****ing kill me~!”

The princess had always thought that Chen Nan’s mute acupoint was sealed. Hearing his loud cursing at her, she became startled, then incessantly angry. But when she noticed the gorgeously-coloured Monolithic Snake behind Chen Nan, her expression took a turn before quickly calming. Finally, she said something that nearly made Chen Nan black out: “This snake is really pretty!”

Like wind, Chen Nan sprinted down the volcano, and when he passed the princess, he cursed, “Creep, lunatic, demon…!”

The princess dispatched those guards worthy of being called well-tested men of sacrifice. After their shock, they quickly calmed down, gripped their weapons tightly, and waited. The three magi-in-training began incanting their spells. Magical elements fluctuated and arose in the sky. But out of their expectations, a Monolithic Snake emerged from the mouth of the volcano, exposing its length. It remained motionless, only coldly gazing at everyone.

The princess was abnormally calm and collected. “Everyone, don’t be afraid! The Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus is about to mature. That smelly snake has already been here guarding it for a millennium. At this pivotal point in time, it won’t take even half a step away from the Immortal Lotus. We’ll attack it from a distance.”

After that, she ordered, “Hurry and grab the realgar and sprinkle it over the body of the smelly snake.”

Ten or so pouches were simultaneously launched at the Monolithic Snake. Meanwhile, the magi-in-training’s incantations completed. A broad blade of wind, glittering like snow, rushed towards it to attack.

The blade of wind pierced the pouches and realgar scattered in the air before gracefully descending and falling onto the Monolithic Snake’s body. Its body trembled and it recoiled backward.

Everyone’s spirits rose and another set of realgar-filled pouches and another blade of wind were sent attacking. The Monolithic Snake’s coldly-flashing scales were pelted with adhesive realgar. Pungent realgar smell flooded the mouth of the volcano. Not too long later, the Monolithic Snake withered up on the ground and remained motionless.

Everyone promptly cheered.

In one breath, Chen Nan had sprinted down half the mountain. Upon hearing the cheers erupting from behind him, he couldn’t help but turn around and look.

“I really didn’t expect this little demon to actually have some real skill. To go as far as to defeat that sort of colossal monster, she truly deserves to be called a demonic sister.”

He recalled the Monolithic Snake’s sharp venomous fangs and sinister, red forked tongue and felt some lingering fear, but he also felt very annoyed.

Chen Nan took a look up at the volcano’s mouth and really wanted to run away from that little demon and resume his exploration of the world, but he also wanted to stay behind and watch the once-in-a-lifetime battle with a Monolithic Snake. His heart wavered. In the end, he couldn’t resist the temptation and quietly climbed back up to the mouth of the volcano. When he was ten or so zhang away from the mouth, he hid himself behind a giant boulder.

The princess cautiously examined the withered Monolithic Snake. Afterwards, she laughed, “Who could’ve thought that this smelly snake would be so cunning, purposely not fighting back in order to fool us. No one go forward, attack it from here.”

Pulling out powerful crossbows, the imperial guards shot arrows at the Monolithic Snake. The three magi-in-training also began chanting aloud their spells, preparing a magical attack.

A row of plumed arrows and flying locusts were launched at the Monolithic Snake, but to everyone’s amazement, when the arrowheads forged from steel essence came into contact with the scales, they only caused some sparks to be emitted before sliding off.

The magi-in-training shot off a tremendous blade of wind to take a stab at the Monolithic Snake, but it barely made it tremble, nothing more. It didn’t even leave a mark.

The princess decisively ordered, “Stop attacking it at other places and concentrate all your attacks on its two eyes.”

The flying arrows were like rain and were shot simultaneously at the Monolithic Snake’s two blood-red eyes. The Monolithic Snake jeered at everyone and closed its eyes. The rain of arrows was defeated.

At the same time, the three magi-in-training gathered a great amount of magical elements and condensed it into three thick spears of ice. Under the sunlight, the three ice spears radiated resplendently and, like a long rainbow, shot towards the Monolithic Snake’s pair of eyes.

Pang!

Pang!

Pang!

When the Ice Spears reached the Monolithic Snake’s eyes, they completely disintegrated. These three powerful magical attacks resulted in a trace line of blood running down the Monolithic Snake’s eyelids. Meanwhile, the Monolithic Snake lifted its head, transforming from its withered appearance. The Monolithic Snake’s forked tongue flickered in and out of its mouth. Its sharp venomous fangs released a cold, soul-penetrating light. Its two blood-red eyes gazed unwaveringly at everyone.

Chen Nan, hiding behind a boulder, was prepared to flee at any time.

Pu!

The Monolithic Snake opened its gigantic mouth and breathed out a tremendous flame. Scathing, raging flames engulfed everyone. In a flurry, the three magi-in-training read aloud a spell. A light blue magical screen protected everyone inside.

Seeing this, Chen Nan was slack-jawed and wide-eyed, and exclaimed, “No way! This petrifying monster has already finished its cultivation. My God, a Snake Demon!” Seeing this, he retreated another ten zhang from the battlefield.

At this moment, the three magi-in-training again gathered enough magical elements. They opened up a corner of their magical screen and an expansive curtain of light was sprayed toward the Monolithic Snake. The cyan curtain of light transformed into layers upon layers of waves of ice. In the blink of an eye, the raging flames surrounding everyone were extinguished. At the same time, the Monolithic Snake was drenched and left dripping wet. The mouth of the volcano emitted a steaming white mist. Everyone took advantage of this chance to retreat a distance of seven or eight zhang.

The Monolithic Snake was infuriated. With a loud rumble, it extended another four, five zhang out of its cave. Even more crushed rocks fell into the depths of the volcano. Now, seven or eight zhang of its serpentine body was in the air. The Monolithic Snake’s massive head appeared especially fierce. The Monolithic Snake looked down at everyone, in its eyes an ominous glint. It seemed to want to sweep down, but it retreated back to the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus’s side instead. Volcanic rock stuck to its body.

The princess waited for her men to catch their breath. At this time, a female guard stepped forward and said, “Your Highness the princess, this Snake Demon has already finished its cultivation. It’s not something we can defeat. We should retreat.”

A magus-in-training added, “Right, wh-what kind of little snake is this? Th-this is a Snake Spirit. We better—”

The princess shot him a glare, immediately scaring the magus-in-training into shutting his mouth.

Chen Nan, hiding behind a rock, said to himself, “The princess is as ferocious as the Monolithic Snake!”

The princess said, “Didn’t I give you thirty six immensely powerful magical arrows? If we don’t use them now, then when will we? Shoot them now!”

The guards nocked the magical arrows to their bowstrings and simultaneously aimed at the pair of scarlet eyes.

“Sou!

Sou!

The magical arrows flew forth like lightning. The arrows quivered in the air. Magical elements oscillated in the air irregularly. The Monolithic Snake, as if smelling the scent of danger, dodged its fierce head toward the side. The magical arrows struck the Monolithic Snake’s mouth and sparks flew. Afterwards, the arrowheads abruptly exploded and a large plate off the left side of the Monolithic Snake’s mouth blasted off. After a few more magical arrows pierced this target, the blood and meat of the Monolithic Snake’s head were left mangled, exposing thick white teeth.

The Monolithic Snake was infuriated. Its enormous coiling body rose up. Between its thick white teeth, its blood-red forked tongue flickered in and out. At the same time, the rest of the snake’s body hidden in the cave continuously came rushing out. The earth quaked and the mountain shook.

Everyone was left stupefied. The princess profoundly called out, “It seems like we’ll have to use our trump card.” From the bundle on her back, she drew out a simple and unadorned case. Opening up the case, she took out a glossy, pitch-black longbow.

Seeing the princess’s movements, Chen Nan’s pupils began to contract, and his gaze fixed onto that longbow.

“Houyi Bow!”

He didn’t expect that after ten thousand years, he’d still be able to see Xianhuan Continent’s Godly Bow. Houyi Bow easily had a number of owners. Ten thousand years ago, its last owner was precisely Chen Nan’s father, Chen Zhan. That year, Chen Zhan relied on this bow to consecutively shoot dead three exceptional practitioners. This battle had made his name famous and his power had shaken the entirety of Xianhuan Continent.

Chen Nan’s lips quivered. He softly said, “Houyi Bow, I didn’t think after ten thousand years I’d meet you again…”

Just then, a thundering, world-shaking sound came forth. Countless giant rocks tumbled from the volcano’s mouth. The Monolithic Snake soared into the sky. The entire length of its one hundred zhang serpentine body was revealed.

[1] 人為刀俎,我為魚肉/on someone’s cutting board, I serve as the fish meat; meaning ‘to be at someone’s mercy’.

[2] 啞穴/mute acupoint; an acupoint at the back of your head that controls speaking, among other things.
    Last edited by Zoeng Saiwaa; 08-05-15 at 02:20 AM.

thanks for the chapter god more and more cliffhangers haha!

Thanks Zoeng, this story is really exciting, no dull moments, can't wait for more, I am addicted..............

Post V1C4

Chapter 4: Houyi Slaughtering Dragon 第四章 后羿屠龍

The Monolithic Snake’s tail touched the ground. Its one hundred zhang serpentine body was held upright in the air. With intimidating might, it seemed to transform into a genuine dragon.

The princess conveniently fetched a plumed arrow and nocked it to the bowstring. Exhausting all her strength, she pulled the Houyi bowstring back slightly. The pitch-black Houyi Bow began to suffuse with a faint golden glow. The golden glow, like a haze, flowed from the bowstring to the plumed arrow. The otherwise ordinary iron transformed into the essence of pure gold. The ordinary plumed arrow emanated a golden glow before being shot as a golden ray.

The wind thundered and the world seemed to pale. The golden ray seemed to tear cracks into space. In the blink of an eye, it reached the Monolithic Snake. The Monolithic Snake was incomparably startled, as if it realized that the golden arrow embodied tremendous energy. It quickly dodged towards the ground. Its massive serpentine body tried to avoid the golden arrowhead capable of paling the world. The Monolithic Snake’s entire serpentine body endlessly coiled at the mouth of the volcano.

The golden arrow brushed past the Monolithic Snake, discouraging everyone. However, with another thundering of the wind, the originally off-target golden arrow whistled back from the distance. The dazzling splendour of the arrowhead even overshadowed the celestial sun. In a flash, the golden arrow pierced into the Monolithic Snake’s body.

Pu!

A wave of blood erupted from the Monolithic Snake’s wound, and the sky above the mouth of the volcano was filled with the splattering of blood. The massive serpentine body incessantly thrashed and writhed on the ground launching a number of gigantic boulders every which way. The princess’s party rushed to evade.

After ten or so minutes, the Monolithic Snake ceased its coiling. It once again lifted itself upright and raised its head ten or so zhang above the ground. It furiously glared at the princess, but seeing Houyi Bow, it instinctively turned fearful.

The Monolithic Snake’s serpentine body had been cut open by the golden arrow, leaving a massive, bloody hole. Fresh blood chaotically poured out.

A magus-in-training said, “Your Highness the princess, use the Godly Bow again. Shooting its wound again will surely kill the Snake Demon.”

“I can’t, I’ve already used up all my strength shooting the Godly Bow once. Men, come here!”

Ten or so guards stepped forward, but none of them had the strength to pull back the bowstring of the Godly Bow.

Hiding behind a rock, Chen Nan had watched the events of battle unfold very clearly. At present, no one knew more about Houyi Bow than him. No one had the power to pull back the bowstring of the Godly Bow even the fraction of a degree. If the princess had the power to pull back the bowstring a little more, forget about the Monolithic Snake, even Monolithic Dragons would find it hard to avoid misfortune. According to ancient legends, Houyi Bow had shot down the gods of the heavens. It was Xianhuan Continent’s number one immortal treasure.

The Monolithic Snake seemed to notice that no one could wield the frightening ‘dark instrument’ again. An ominous glint flashed in its eyes and, with a quick glance at the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus in the volcano, it rushed forwards towards the nearby band of people.

Chen Nan sensed that the turn of events were not too encouraging and immediately fled down the mountain.

It was only now did the princess showed a true sense of panic. “I overestimated my own strength!”

All the guards shouted out, “Your Highness the princess, hurry and flee!”

The princess tied Houyi Bow to her back and, with a deep look at everyone in front of her, turned around and fled down the mountain.

Currently, the Monolithic Snake was already swooping down, generating massive gusts of wind. In a flash, its monolithic serpentine body arrived in front of everyone. It shot out its blood-red forked tongue, just barely falling short of everyone. The three magi-in-training quickly raised their light blue protective screen. The Monolithic Snake used its skull to violently slam into the magical screen. In just a moment, the light blue screen shattered and the three magi-in-training vomited blood. All the guards were sent flying down the mountain by the Monolithic Snake’s momentum.

The Monolithic Snake moved like lightning. In another flash, it overtook the tumbling guards. Two guards were crushed by its monolithic serpentine body, without the time to even cry out. Seeing this broke all the guards’ courage. The Monolithic Snake didn’t continue its attack on the other guards. With an ominous glint in its eyes, it shot forwards to the princess fleeing ahead.

At this very moment, Chen Nan felt his soul leave his body; the little demon was following closely behind him, with the Monolithic Snake in hot pursuit.

The princess repeatedly cried, “Ah~!”

Chen Nan loudly yelled behind him, “Little demon, what are you hollering about? Don’t follow me like a bum beetle[1]!”

“Degenerate, smelly thief, you dare talk to me like this? Sooner or later, I’ll make you a palace eunuch! Ah~! The smelly snake is coming!” The princess no longer had a calm and collected look. Instead, she was panicking.

Hearing the princess cry out in fear, all the guards ignored their injuries and unsheathed their swords, slashing at the body of the Monolithic Snake. Their ordinary iron swords weren’t able to inflict even the slightest bit of damage to the Monolithic Snake. Its serpentine body twisted left and right, brutally crashing into the guards. The guards were sent flying away like scarecrows.

The Monolithic Snake had already reached the princess’s back. It opened its massive blood-red mouth and breathed out fire. Scorching, raging flames swept towards the princess.

The princess looked absolutely terrified and ear-splittingly shrieked, “Ah~!”

When the flames reached the princess’s back, Houyi Bow suddenly produced a faint golden glow, stopping the flames and scaring the Monolithic Snake to a halt.

At the same time, a whistle could be heard from afar. The sound rumbled like thunder and remained sounding in the air for a long time.

“Yu’er, don’t panic, your teacher has come.” The voice was deafening. It was even powerful enough to crush rocks and send them tumbling down the mountainside.

The sound blasted into Chen Nan’s ears, almost making him stumble.

In a short moment, a spaciously-clothed, middle-aged man appeared a hundred zhang away.

“Wu… Old fogey, why did you only come now? If you were late a single step, I would’ve been eaten by that smelly snake,” the princess called out.

In addition to his excessive nervousness, Chen Nan’s qi and blood were raging, forcing him to sit down.

“How could a voice be this ferocious? Could it be the Exterminating Roar Technique of the Azure Dragon? The little demon called him an old fogey. Could he be one of those rejuvenated, revitalized old guys?” He closely looked at the middle-aged man. In a flash, the old man covered the distance of over fifty zhang.

“Traversing that distance like it was an inch, his skill nears Dao! This old guy is really outstanding. It seems like his martial ability is at least at the level of a grandmaster.” Chen Nan was inwardly apprehensive.

In an instant, the middle-aged man already reached the princess. The Monolithic Snake wasn’t too far, gazing intently at this unexpected guest.

The middle-aged man seemed not to care about the Monolithic Snake. Patting the princess’s head, he laughed, “Haha, did little girl suffer too much?”

“Annoying! Don’t hit my head.” The little demonic princess slapped the middle-aged man’s hand to the side and pouted, “Hmph! Old fogey, did you arrive earlier and purposely hid to watch me and laugh?”

“If I had arrived earlier, could I helplessly watch you be chased and bitten by that little snake?”

“Fainting to the ground!” Chen Nan admired this well-matched master and disciple; he had also described that colossal monster as ‘little’.

“Hmph! Who knows if you’re telling the truth or lying?”

At this time, the guards lucky enough to survive moved around the Monolithic Snake and staggeringly went over.

The middle-aged man profoundly said, “You guys keep far away from this volcano. If you can retreat farther, then retreat farther.”

The princess wasn’t too talkative as she led the seriously injured guards down the mountain. Of course, Chen Nan had already escaped without a trace. Unexpectedly, he once again met that terrible little demon.

“Hey, degenerate, smelly thief, stop! Or else after I’ll peel off your skin after I capture you,” the princess fiercely shouted.

Chen Nan suffered endlessly as her prisoner during the past few days. Now, he viciously cursed back, “You smelly princess, keep dreaming! Sooner or later I’ll make you pay. I’ll ****ing…”

The guards that had narrowly escaped death very much wanted to rush forward immediately and capture him, but they had no strength whatsoever with their serious injuries. They could only loudly chide and curse at him from afar. The princess had not once been insulted like this. She angrily grinded her teeth, her body trembling in anger. If she hadn’t exhausted her strength, she would’ve already chased after Chen Nan and beat him senseless.

After several mishaps, Chen Nan arrived at the bottom of the mountain, ignoring the curses coming from behind him. He swiftly entered the depths of a nearby forest. He didn’t leave as he wanted to watch the battle between the middle-aged man who had rushed over and the Monolithic Snake. He concealed himself in a corner of the forest.

The Houyi Bow that frightened the Monolithic Snake had already been taken away by the princess, but the Monolithic Snake didn’t launch its attack. It sensed that the feeble human in front of him was filled with boundless power. It uneasily twisted its serpentine body.

Facing the Monolithic Snake by himself, the little princess’s teacher’s imposing manner instantly changed. He now resembled the world’s proudest giant. His face was brimming with confidence, without any sense of fear.

The Monolithic Snake reigned over all the creatures in its vicinity. In a several li circumference, not a single creature dared to take a step into his territory. However, in a short half a day’s time, its authority was challenged. Now, the middle-aged man formidable manner was oppressing the snake, thoroughly enraging it. Blazing waves of fire erupted outward, hiding the sky and covering the earth, turbulently surging towards the middle-aged man.

The middle-aged man’s body was like lightning. Leaving an afterimage, he dodged five zhang to the side, and then jumped up. He delivered a palm strike to the Monolithic Snake’s previous wound. Waves of blood once again came spurting out.

The Monolithic Snake was unable to endure the tremendous pain and its upright serpentine body collapsed onto the ground. Its blood-red eyes flashed a deathly, cold gaze. Generating a massive gale, it swept its tail towards the middle-aged man. If this thrashing tail was set out onto the battlefield, it would cause total annihilation, not just in name, but also in reality. With a loud rumble, rubble violently launched forward and a sandstorm concealed the sky. The Monolithic Snake’s ‘total annihilation’ left a gigantic ditch on the mountainside.

After the dust settled, the middle-aged man already surmounted the volcano’s summit. The Monolithic Snake once again sat upright, its head at exactly the same height as mouth of the volcano. It fiercely took a bite at the middle-aged man.

The middle-aged man didn’t dodge and continued to advance courageously. Two fists were brandished outward and a great white radiance shot forward from the clenched fists. The white radiance, as if it were a tangible material, slammed into the Monolithic Snake’s bloody maw.

Hong!

A reverberating sound echoed throughout the sky.

The Monolithic Snake flipped over in the sky and collapsed, causing another round of boulders to be catapulted. The middle-aged man was also pushed back by the tremendous recoil and slammed from one side of the volcanic mouth to the other, before free-falling to the ground.

Chen Nan praised in his heart, “This middle-aged man can actually rely on his strength alone to battle the one hundred zhang long Monolithic Snake. His cultivation definitely reaches sainthood.”

Seeing the middle-aged man have enough power to battle the Monolithic Snake, the princess and the others hiding in the forest were overjoyed.

The middle-aged man and the Monolithic Snake once again confronted each other. The middle-aged man relied on his lightning-like speed and excellent skill to target the Monolithic Snake’s eyes and other weak points. The Monolithic Snake relied on its superior body to recklessly slam into the middle-aged man. One man and one snake flew around each other on the volcano. Massive rocks constantly tumbled down the mountain.

One man and one snake moved farther and farther away from the mouth of the volcano, until they eventually reached the base of the mountain. Chen Nan sensed that the situation wasn’t too good and quickly slipped away. The princess and others also felt it wasn’t right and hurriedly retreated one li.

Everyone backed off. The place they were originally hiding in was now the new battlefield. The middle-aged man and the Monolithic Snake had fought from the summit of the mountain to the base. Every time the middle-aged man brandished his fists, a brilliant white radiance would be produced. Every boulder and tree that it came into contact with was crushed.

The Monolithic Snake’s destructive power was much greater than that of the middle-aged man. Every breath of raging fire would burn down a large area of forest, leaving it as scorched earth. Every ‘total annihilation’ move would topple much of the forest.

In less time than it takes to drink a cup of tea, the entire forest was razed to the ground.

Seeing this, Chen Nan trembled in fear. It wasn’t like he’d never seen an exceptional expert before—his own father had been one of the most formidable of experts—but he had only seen such an intense battle a few times before.

The princess inwardly rejoiced. If that Monolithic Snake had unleashed its power like this to deal with them, then she’d probably be reporting to heaven. Of course, this was just her own wishful thinking; Chen Nan was convinced that she would be going to the netherworld to reunite with her devil brethren.

Currently, it seemed like the middle-aged man had the upper hand. His lightning-like figure repeatedly attacked the vicinity of the Monolithic Snake’s previous wound. His fists and his white brilliance continued to bombard the same place over and over. The Monolithic Snake was battered and exhausted, its serpentine body unceasingly twisting.

The princess immediately cheered, “Teacher, add oil[2]~! Quickly beat that smelly snake to death and avenge my bodyguards.”

“Aiyah~! Old fogey, you’re so foolish, how could you let the smelly snake gain the upper hand. Did you get too arrogant hearing me cheer for you?”

“Old fogey, you’re really too disappointing. Aiyah, truly foolish enough to die. How could you let that smelly snake burn your hair.”

The middle-aged man peeled off some strands of burnt hair and rapidly retreated ten or so zhang.

“Teacher, you’re such a coward! How could you run away?”

Chen Nan sniggered. The middle-aged man had this kind of demonic disciple. It was truly his life’s misfortune.

The middle-aged man gasped in a gulp of air and called out, “Little girl, don’t randomly speak up. If you keep disturbing me, when I return, I’ll punish you and make you face the wall for a hundred days.”

“Aren’t family supposed to encourage you?”

“…”

Without the ‘irritant’, the middle-aged man’s power raised greatly, while the Monolithic Snake was beaten dispirited and listless. Everyone thought that he had victory in his grasp, but the Monolithic Snake’s tail suddenly shot out like lightning and wrapped around the middle-aged man’s waist, lifting him up to a high altitude. Although only the thinnest part of the Monolithic Snake’s tail was wound only once around him, the middle-aged man’s entire chest and abdomen was being constricted.

The princess cried out in fear, pushing passed her guards and running forward.

The middle-aged man struggled with all his might. His whole body became suffused with a faint white light. The radiance grew richer and more powerful and the grip on his body from the snake tail gradually loosened. In a moment, he escaped from the Monolithic Snake’s entanglement, but at the same time, the fierce snake head opened its giant blood-red maw to take a bite of him. He hastily brandished his two fists and struck outward. His blazing white fists stopped the fierce snake head in its tracks, but the loose snake tail once again tightened around him.

The princess rushed forward and arrived less than ten zhang away from the Monolithic Snake. She chokingly sobbed, “Teacher... wu…”

“Yu’er, don’t cry. Teacher is all right. This little snake hasn’t taken my life yet.”

“Teacher, take Houyi Bow,” said the princess, who then tossed Houyi Bow and a plumed arrow into the sky.

“Wu… Teacher, I’m sorry. I wanted to see your real strength, so I didn’t give Houyi Bow to you earlier. Wuwu…” The princess began to cry again.

“Yu’er, don’t be afraid. This little snake can’t deal with teacher. Now that I have Houyi Bow in my hands, it’s dead,” the middle-aged man said as he smashed his fists towards the fierce snake head. The fists radiated blazing white light and forced the snake head back a distance of three zhang. He extended both his hands and released a soft white ray of light, bringing Houyi Bow and the plumed arrow into his hands.

“Yu’er, back up. I’m afraid I’ll injure you.”

The princess saw the middle-aged man receive Houyi Bow and calmed down. She turned and ran away.

After the Monolithic Snake saw Houyi Bow, it actually showed fear and moved its snake head away seven, eight zhang.

The middle-aged man’s body vigorously radiated. Once he nocked the plumed arrow properly, he used his absolute full strength to pull back the bowstring and shouted, “Open!” To his shock, the bowstring didn’t move a whisker.

“Yu’er, did someone previously use Houyi Bow?” yelled out the middle-aged man.

“Yes, old fogey. That bloody hole on the smelly snake’s body was from when I shot it. Are you happy this time? I can finally pull back the Godly Bow.”

“What? You little muddlehead, Houyi Bow can only be used once a year. You really killed me this time.”

“Ah~! Teacher… wu…”

The Monolithic Snake seemed to notice that the middle-aged man was incapable of using the Godly Bow and fiercely chomped towards him. The middle-aged man swung Houyi Bow. The black back of Houyi Bow clashed with the thick white teeth, causing several of the half-meter venomous fangs to be blown off in a cloud of blood. The Monolithic Snake endured the pain and slashed at the middle-aged man with great strength, sending him flying.

The middle-aged man, battered and exhausted, flipped in the air and fell onto the ground. He took a long gulp of air, gripped the Godly Bow, and rushed forward toward the Monolithic Snake.

Chen Nan was slack-jawed and wide-eyed watching the princess’s teacher actually use Houyi Bow as a club. It truly pained his heart.

“This crazy man would go as far as to… He’s recklessly wasting heaven’s gifts!”

The princess’s brows were raised in delight, eyes laughing. “Haha, old fogey is really amusing!”

The middle-aged man leapt up and with a black flash, the Monolithic Snake’s scales as hard as pure steel were crushed into pieces by Houyi Bow. Blood gracefully rained. The Monolithic Snake was furious and its entire serpentine body twisted and turned. Its massive tail swept across and chopped down. The earth quaked.

What could be done? The princess’s teacher’s figure was like lightning, sometimes dodging, sometimes delivering deadly blows. Wielding Houyi Bow, he continuously attacked, bashing the Monolithic Snake until it was drenched in blood.

The Monolithic Snake suddenly stopped. Its upright serpentine body began to emit a dim golden light. An astonishing change occurred to the Monolithic Snake’s body. The multi-coloured scales on its serpentine body transformed into golden scales. Four protrusions appeared on its abdomen. A pair of sparkling gold antlers sprouted out of its head. The roar of a dragon thundered from the Monolithic Snake’s mouth, shaking the highest of the heavens. Powerful dragon qi emanated from the Monolithic Snake’s body. In a one hundred li circumference, every creature cowered on the ground.

Everyone was stupefied.

“A dragon! I’ve finally seen a legendary dragon!” Chen Nan excitedly called out.

The princess alarmingly shouted, “Heavens! We’ve been battling a dragon!”

While everyone was in their stupor, the princess’s teacher, however, was mournful. Only he knew that the Monolithic Snake had not yet successfully completed its transformation; its dragon claws still hadn’t extended out from its abdomen. A dragon failing to successfully transform meant only one thing—death.

He quietly said, “Snake-xiong, I apologize. I thought your cultivation as a Snake Spirit was without merit. I never thought you were this proud, cultivating a genuine dragon body for thousands of years. If you weren’t still stuck at such a pivotal point in your draconic transformation, I think we would’ve died without having burial sites.”

The golden scales on the Monolithic Snake’s body began to peel off. The blood and flesh now exposed by the peeling scales was disfigured. The Monolithic Snake gave a solemn, draconic roar. It spat out a spangling neidan which abruptly exploded in the air into a shower of dispersing golden specks. After failing its draconic transformation, the Monolithic Snake transformed into a golden ray of light that shot into the mouth of the volcano. In the blink of an eye, no one remained inside the volcano.

The princess’s teacher was disappointed and frustrated, as if he had failed. If he had killed an ordinary Snake Spirit, he would by no means feel such an incomparable sense of loss. But he had killed a Divine Snake that had the promise to transform into a dragon. He had a heavy heart.

“What’s right? What’s wrong? Perhaps this world never had a difference between right and wrong,” he sighed.

With a heavy heart, the middle-aged man arrived at the mouth of the volcano. He flew down to the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus and plucked off a single petal. Then, he ripped up the entire plant and threw it into the depths of the volcano.

“Snake-xiong, this was probably the will of heaven. If the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus matured an hour earlier, maybe you would have already finished your draconic transformation. That Immortal Lotus will protect your soul from extinguishing. I hope you can cultivate into a genuine dragon in your next life.”

Currently, the princess and everyone had already run forward. “Teacher, what happened just now? How did that smelly snake transform into a dragon?”

The middle-aged man replied, “You saw wrong. How could it transform into a dragon?”

“It was a dragon. Everyone clearly saw it was a dragon. You guys speak, just now you saw it was a dragon, right?” the princess asked the guards.

“It was a dragon.”

“Right, it was a dragon.”

“It was definitely a dragon. I saw it very clearly.”

The guards all confirmed.

The middle-aged man indifferently said, “When people are too tense, they will see illusions. Just now, you guys were too tense.”

The princess replied, “Hmph! Old fogey, you’re acting so weird today. You must be keeping something hidden from me.”

The middle-aged man laughed. “Little girl, you always love to let your imagination run wild. Here, this is the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus you wanted to pluck.”

“Ah, why is it only a single petal?”

“You’re really too greedy. With this grade of Immortal Lotus, getting just one petal is already not bad. The rest of the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus already fell down into the depths of the volcano.”

“Ai, that’s a pity,” sighed the princess.

“Ai, teacher, what about that snake? Was it killed by you?”

“It already died under Houyi Bow.”

“Oh. Old fogey, you’re really acting too weird today. You clearly killed a dragon—no—a Monolithic Snake. Why are you still so dispirited and dejected?” The princess blinked her two big eyes and took a deep look at the middle-aged man.

The middle-aged man pinched her nose and changed the subject, laughing. “Little girl, you actually escaped from the imperial palace. You don’t know that you almost worried your father the emperor to death.”

“Annoying.” The princess swatted the middle-aged man’s hand away. “I came out to look for the Blazing Inferno Immortal Lotus for father. It’s his sixtieth birthday; I wanted to give the Immortal Lotus to him as a gift. He’ll definitely be super happy.”

“Little girl, you’re really too crazy. Don’t you know your way of doing things is much too dangerous? How could you—”

“Alright, alright, I know. You don’t have to act as my grandmother and nag me. Teacher, I’ve heard others say that in your youth, you were secretly in love with my grandmother. Is that true?” the princess badly joked.

“Y-you don’t change the subject.”

The princess giggled. “Right, I’ll follow your orders. Your disciple will immediately return to the imperial palace.”

The middle-aged man looked helpless and said, “You’re too naughty, I’m not sure if you’ll return smoothly.”

The princess gave him an odd look. “Old fogey, aren’t you going back with me?”

The middle-aged man replied, “After finding you, I intended to make you comply and ‘escort’ you back, but when I was on the road, I heard someone say that in the Luofeng Mountain Range, a mythical qilin appeared. This is an unusual matter so I need to go take a look, but I’m worrying about you!”

“Isn’t that the qilin of legends? Does this world really have a qilin?” The princess’s two eyes shone and her face was filled with excitement. “I want to go too.”

“No. You’ve already been gone from the imperial palace for over a month. Your mother the empress is worried for your wellbeing and has fallen ill. You must immediately return.”

“Ah, my mother’s ill? Then fine, I’ll return right away.” The princess looked disappointed.

The middle-aged man returned Houyi Bow to the princess and said, “Yu’er, how could you snatch Houyi Bow? You should know that this is the Empire of Chu’s national treasure. Its use is to act as deterrence against the experts of other countries.”

“What’s wrong, didn’t I only borrow it for a while? It’s not like I won’t bring it back,” the princess said, not in the least bit concerned.

“You truly don’t know what’s good for you. The Godly Bow was sealed and can only be used once a year. How could you needlessly use it like that? Fortunately the Empire of Chu isn’t currently in a war, so it doesn’t need to be used.”

“I kno~w!” The princess dragged on and on that last syllable.

[1] 跟屁蟲/bum beetle; meaning ‘somebody who tags along’.

[2] 加油/add oil; a cheer meaning something like ‘keep going!/you can do it!’.
    Last edited by Zoeng Saiwaa; 08-05-15 at 02:23 AM.

Thanks. Our guy hasn't gotten anything yet.

yay! thanks !! argh the princess is annoying 😈

Post V1C5

Chapter 5: Secret Battle 第五章 暗戰

The Monolithic Snake’s draconic transformation failed within sight of success. The instant its neidan shattered, thousands of golden specks showered the entire area. No one had imagined that that one of those golden specks would fly away into the distance.

The golden speck penetrated through countless forests before finally landing. A golden pearl with a lustre that seized the eyes tumbled to Chen Nan’s feet. He had clearly watched all this happen. Excitedly, he crouched down and collected the golden pearl. The golden pearl’s splendour flowed and produced an auspicious and peaceful radiance, freeing his mind entirely from worries. Chen Nan could be said to have profound knowledge pertaining to the legends of dragons. The golden pearl before his eyes was not an unknown secret to him.

Although the Monolithic Snake failed its draconic transformation, when all was said and done, it still reached the state of being a demi-dragon. Its body contained tremendous power. Half of the stored power had the attributes of a snake; the other half had the attributes of a dragon. When the neidan shattered, the snake portion dissipated, but the concentrated dragon portion remained. The pure dragon essence coalesced to form a Dragon Pearl.

“A Dragon Pearl! This is really a Dragon Pearl!” Chen Nan exclaimed in surprise.

Although the Dragon Pearl wasn’t very bulky, it held the pure essence and tremendous power of a dragon. This was indeed a priceless treasure.

Chen Nan was very well-versed in the function of this pearl. Within the span of two hours, the Dragon Pearl would activate. If it were to be swallowed in this time—and one were capable of withstanding the tremendous draconic attack deposited within—then one could absorb 30% to 40% of the essence of the Dragon Pearl, thereby attaining supreme power throughout their body. If no person or creature swallowed the Dragon Pearl in this two hour timeframe, it would begin to rapidly lose its lustre. The tremendous draconic power was all concentrated in the pearl’s nucleus. The Dragon Pearl’s outer shell was incomparably hard; weapons that were below the level of immortal treasures were virtually unable to do any damage to it. This also meant that the tremendous draconic power stored within the Dragon Pearl couldn’t be as easily absorbed as one would wish.

Ten thousand years ago, Chen Nan’s family had decided to turn him into a powerful practitioner, but no matter how much he had cultivated, he hadn’t improved. His pathetic power was the origin of his suffering. All along, he thirsted for incredible power. Although an opportunity had appeared before him, he hesitated. However, he wasn’t afraid of being unable to withstand the backlash containing tremendous draconic power and blowing himself up. At this moment, he recalled a conversation he once had with his father.

Chen Zhan said, “Perhaps divine treasures have the capacity to allow someone to obtain formidable power and become an exceptional expert, but there are definitely repercussions. When one receives the power that they’ve yearned for in their dreams, they’ll also forever lose their qualifications to become the very strongest. Power that comes externally hinders and restrains one’s development; they’ll never be capable of breaking through this restraint.”

Chen Nan replied, “But even if one can’t become the very strongest, becoming an exceptional expert is already pretty good.”

Chen Zhan explained, “If one has the capability of withstanding the tremendous spiritual attack from a divine treasure, then they are not ordinary. Besides requiring an excellent constitution, one must also have an unyielding heart. How could this kind of person endure the torment of never being able to fulfil their dreams for a lifetime? In the end, they’ll only cause themselves ruin.”

Chen Nan asked, “Never? Isn’t this too extreme?”

Chen Zhan said, “The strong aren’t afraid of loneliness. They’re only afraid of being stuck and not moving forward on their path to power.”

Even if Chen Nan didn’t fully agree with the point of view of his father Chen Zhan, he felt that there must be a justification for this.

“If I swallow this, maybe I’ll instantly become a powerful practitioner, or maybe my body will immediately explode and I’ll die. But regardless of the outcome, I’ll still lose the qualifications to become the very strongest.”

Chen Nan laughed at himself. “For someone like me whose progress in martial arts has stagnated, maybe taking this Dragon Pearl is my best option. After all, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for a carp to leap through the dragon gate[1].”

“Could heaven possibly grant me charity?”

Chen Nan lowered his head and looked at the flowing splendour of the Dragon Pearl in his possession. He hesitated for a long time. Finally, he exclaimed, “Indeed, I’m truly unwilling! I, Chen Nan, don’t need ‘charity’!”

Remembering past events, Chen Nan felt some sense of loss.

Before he was sixteen years old, he was once acclaimed by others as a genius in practicing martial arts. His martial arts cultivation progressed a thousand li in a single day. Among his peers, he was fit to be given the title as ‘the best’. But afterwards, his nightmare began. His cultivation wouldn’t improve no matter how diligent he was, so much that the Mahayana of his ancestral profound skill dropped from the second Chongtian down to the rank of first Chongtian. Each and every one of his peers surpassed him. He was beyond pained in his heart. His bitterness and agony reached an excessive level. Perhaps such a huge decline in his martial arts cultivation was related to some ‘external reasons’, but this was just his vague conjecture. Still, his suffering did nothing to help him ascertain the truth.

After the halo of being a genius slipped away from him, the sound of constant taunting and ridicule followed him closely, but he was unable to say a thing in return. The public opinion of the outside world, the mission set forth by his clan… The immense pressure was like a heavy mountain pressing down on his heart. His powerlessness resulted in him regarding himself as a nobody, undeserving of being born into that kind of prestigious family.

From the time when he was sixteen years old until he was twenty years old, he grew tired of living, to the extent that he’d go over ways of suicide in his mind. During this time, his heart was full of loss. But a certain kind of conviction was hidden in the deepest crevices of his heart all along. He was firmly convinced that there would be a day he’d finally be able to have a breakthrough and overcome his restraints, smashing the barrier that continuously obstructed him from improving upon his cultivation. This was the relentless power of cultivating his ancestral profound skill.

After his rebirth ten thousand years later, Chen Nan’s martial cultivation remained at a standstill, but the heavy pressure from his clan had completely vanished. After going through a year of readjustments, he already assimilated into modern society. He already liberated himself from all that pain and suffering, recovering his former nature.

“Perhaps today I missed a chance that’s hard to come across even in a thousand years, but I won’t regret it!”

The originally flowing splendour of the Dragon Pearl gradually dulled, until the radiance completely died. Its colour changed from golden to a dark green, becoming an ordinary pearl.

Chen Nan carefully put away the Dragon Pearl and followed the road back. He didn’t want to stop and rest anywhere, fearing the little demonic princess would catch up and come annoy him again. He scaled a high mountain and gazed into the distance. The princess’s party was still at the mouth of the volcano. He let out a long breath of air and said, “Hu~ I finally managed to escape from the nightmare of the little demon.”

Chen Nan already travelled three days away from the mountain before he came to an embarrassing realization: he was lost. The never-ending mountain range was boundless. If he couldn’t find a way back, he’d have no other choice but to live as a savage in the mountains.

A thread of light smoke ascended up into the sky in spirals from a distant mountainous forest. Chen Nan was jubilant as he went onwards in search. When the light smoke was a hundred zhang away, he stopped. He didn’t dare to advance rudely and impetuously. If by any chance it was the princess’s group, then he’d die without a proper burial site.

But good luck seemed to always avoid Chen Nan. On the third day in the afternoon, he was following the group of people not too closely and not too slowly when the figures of seven or eight people suddenly appeared from all sides around him, encircling him. From their penetrating glares, one could see that every one of them was an expert. Chilling cold murderous qi emanated from their bodies. One could imagine that everyone here had experienced the battles of life and death.

All the people in front retreated a few steps. Altogether, there were twenty or so people. They were led by a young man. He appeared to be quite handsome. His body emanated domineering aggressiveness. He examined Chen Nan and frowned. “Who are you? Why are you sneakily following us?”

Chen Nan explained, “I’m a lost huntsman. I wanted to follow you so that I’d be able to leave this mountain.”

“A hunter dares to enter the depths of this mountain range?”

“I was hunting a white deer when I unwittingly charged here. In the end, I couldn’t find the way back.”

The young noble faced a tall, sturdy, big man standing at the side and instructed, “You. Go.”

Seeing the young noble command his subordinate in that manner showed that he was someone who was used to giving orders. Chen Nan guessed that this young noble was someone who held great influence.

The big man wielded in his hand a large sword, both broad and long. After going over to Chen Nan, he chopped down towards him. Chen Nan hastily ducked out of the way towards the side, leaving the big man’s sword to chop empty space. When the second sword strike was dispatched, the blade produced a light cyan radiance, stabbing towards Chen Nan’s stomach.

Chen Nan shouted in his mind, “No way, tangible sword qi! This is a grandmaster level expert! How could this kind of person be willing to serve as another’s subordinate?”

Despite his shock, he managed to dodge the strike just in time.

Chi!

The light cyan blade hacked a shallow ditch into the ground.

Chen Nan felt that something was amiss. The might of tangible sword qi couldn’t possibly be this puny. Even ordinary sword qi was much stronger than this, by quite a lot at that.

“Could it be western battle qi?” He took a careful look at the big man’s sword handling, reaffirming his assumption.

The big man viciously chopped towards him again. Chen Nan met the big man head on in battle. Vital qi received battle qi. The light cyan blade caused Chen Nan to enter a danger zone.

The young noble standing at the side sneered. “Ordinary hunters have good martial arts like yours? If you keep refusing to tell the truth, then you’ll be left without a burial site after ten moves.”

Chen Nan hurriedly yelled, “Stop, I’ll speak.”

The young noble clapped his hands and ordered, “Stop.”

The big man sheathed his sword and said to Chen Nan, “Yes. Boy, you can actually receive over twenty of my moves.”

Chen Nan used the language of the continent ten thousand years ago to sigh, “No matter the age, it’s the strong that are respected. After my martial cultivation deteriorated, I was doomed to go through all kinds of unhappy experiences. A tiger that falls to an equal playing field is bullied by a dog!”

He quickly contemplated before saying, “Young noble, if I say I’m a hunter who has learned martial arts, you definitely won’t believe me, but I can give you proof.”

The young noble asked, “You have proof?”

“I’m a hunter. It’s only natural that I have the skills of a huntsman as proof.” Chen Nan kneeled over and scratched at the ground, exposing a handful of sandy soil. He gave it a sniff and said, “I dare to say that I’m certain that within a circumference of three li, other than a female tiger, there are no other large wild animals.”

“Oh, are you sure you’re certain?” the young noble asked.

“I’m certain.”

“Good. Yang Chong, go bring a few men with you and take a look around the vicinity.”

A young man answered, “Yes.” He guided a few men and entered the depths of the forest to look around.

In the time it takes to drink a cup of tea, the roar of a tiger could be heard coming from the distance. A few men soon returned, towing a dead tiger back with them.

The young man took a glance at the dead tiger, gave an unenthusiastic laugh, and said, “Well, it seems you really are a hunter, but I’m still somewhat in doubt. From here, it takes three days moving at a quick pace to leave. Don’t tell me that you chased a white deer for three days and three nights?” With that said, the young man’s tone turned cold. He shouted, “Grab him and tie him up for me.”

Several experts rushed forwards and pressed their sharp blades at various vital points on Chen Nan’s body. If he wished to put up a resistance by his lonesome against this many experts, then no doubt he’d be like an ant uselessly trying to shake a tree, so he didn’t struggle. He gave a bitter laugh in his heart. He just recently escaped from the evil clutches of the princess, but now he was already the captive of someone else.

One of the young noble’s subordinates said, “Th-Third Master, why tie him up? Instead, we can directly kill him and just leave it be.”

Even before the words ‘Third Master’ wore spoken, Chen Nan already thought he had a certain ‘flavour’ to him. Now, he was even more certain that that man was by no means ordinary.

The young noble said, “Detain him first. I sense that this individual isn’t ordinary. Before he was attacked, I actually didn’t recognize him as a martial artist.”

Chen Nan began his second time living as a captive, but this time, his ‘treatment’ was clearly much better than the first. At the very least, no one treated him as their own personal property and made him ‘convey his feelings of excitement’. This group of people were vigorously disciplined; they didn’t speak too many superfluous words. Only that young noble would occasionally quietly say a few sentences to those beside him.

Two days later, Chen Nan couldn’t help but lament his miraculous fate. He unexpectedly got to meet the princess again. Now, only ten people remained in the princess’s party. During the confrontation with the Monolithic Snake, they lost in total four imperial guards and two magi-in-training. The few survivors remaining suffered serious injuries and had not yet healed.

When the princess saw the young noble and his group, she stammered in alarm and slightly puckered her brows, but in a flash, she displayed her splendid smile. “Tianyuan Continent is truly too small. It’s hard to imagine that we’d encounter each other here, Your Highness the Third Prince.”

A smiling expression was evident across the young noble’s whole face. “Right. I also didn’t expect to see Your Highness Princess Yu here.”

The princess laughed. “For what reason did the Third Prince leave his comfortable life in the Empire of Baiyue and come to our Empire of Chu’s border? Are you serving as an ambassador to our country? As an ambassador to our country, it doesn’t seem like you’d need to run so deep into the mountains.”

The nearby Chen Nan could hear this all very clearly. He couldn’t help but sigh. For a while now, he’d been in these boundless mountains. Unexpectedly, he’d encounter both a princess and a prince.

The Third Prince said, “Princess Yu’s words are still so sharp. The title of ‘intruding upon another country’s borders as he wishes’ is a label that I cannot bear. If I recall correctly, the zone in the middle of Tianyuan Continent—this mountain range—shouldn’t be considered the territory of any nation.”

The princess replied, “Your Highness the Third Prince has thousands of matters to attend to a day, why would you run to this place for no cause and no reason? After all, this place is encroaching on the borders of my Empire of Chu; I can’t help but have misgivings in my heart.”

The Third Prince laughed, “Hehe, Princess Yu is too anxious. Actually, I specifically came to pay a visit to this place with the main goal of gathering news about the mythical qilin that has apparently appeared in this Luofeng Mountain Range. I wish to try my luck and see if I can’t get a glimpse of a mythical animal of legends.”

The princess said, “Oh, so it’s like this. I didn’t expect news to spread this quickly. Even the Third Prince from the distant Empire of Baiyue is aware.”

The Third Prince said, “A legendary qilin has graced us with its divine presence. The appearance of a mythical beast naturally shocks the world. This matter has already caused the continent lots of commotion.”

The princess sighed, “Ai! I really want to see for myself what kind of beast a qilin is. It’s a pity I won’t have the opportunity.”

Surprised, The Third Prince asked, “Your Highness the princess, why do you say such a thing?”

“When we were travelling to the Luofeng Mountain Range, we came across my teacher on the way. He said it’s too dangerous there and stubbornly drove me back. I’m so disappointed!” The princess was extremely angry.

A bright light flashed across the Third Prince’s eyes. He said, “Don’t tell me it’s Elder Zhuge Chengfeng.”

“It’s precisely that old fogey.”

“Elder Zhuge’s name moves the world. His martial cultivation reaches the level of sainthood. He’s the senior—the number one expert—that I revere the most.”

“Is that right? If you let that old fogey here that, he’d definitely be joyous. I can’t say for sure, but maybe he’d be willing to accept you as his disciple.”

“If it’s really as you say, then it’s what I seek but fail to obtain.”

The princess smiled. “Maybe this old fogey can already hear you, but is debating whether or not to actually take you in as his disciple.”

A bewildered look flashed across the Third Prince’s face. He laughed, “Hehe, how could that be? Isn’t Elder Zhuge hurrying towards the Luofeng Mountain Range? Even if senior’s martial arts is godly, isn’t it impossible to hear words several hundred kilometers away?

The princess panted with rage. “This old fogey isn’t sure that I’ll return to the palace; he’s scared I’ll sneak back. He’s been following me all along.”

“Oh, apparently senior really loves you dearly, afraid that you’ll come across a mishap.” The Third Prince smiled.

“Clearly he doesn’t trust me.”

The Third Prince took a look at the princess’s imperial guards and said, “Princess Yu, did your subordinates suffer injures? Why are all their expressions so deathly pale?”

“That’s right. When we were on the road to the Luofeng Mountain Range, we had a run in with an ancient giant. Fortunately, old fogey immediately hurried over. Otherwise, it would’ve really been too dangerous.” A trace of lingering fear remained on the princess’s face.

“Truly fortunate! En, beasts are constantly on the prowl in this mountain range. Without some experts to protect you, you really can’t travel safely. How about this, I’ll escort you guys out of the mountain.” The Third Prince had a sincere expression.

A cold light flashed across the princess’s eyes, but she merely smiled. “Thank you Your Highness the Third Prince, but we won’t trouble you. My old, crafty teacher will look after us well.”

“Your Highness Princess Yu, there’s no need to be so courteous with me. Having had the chance to bump into you, extra feelings and reasons are useless. Regarding this matter, I must escort Your Highness safely. Moreover, Elder Zhuge is not necessarily following you all the way.”

“I appreciate Third Prince’s kindness, but we truly don’t require your escort. This is already the edge of the mountain range; there are almost no beasts here.”

“That won’t do. I must escort you out. Otherwise, my heart will be restless.”

The princess didn’t decline further. With a grateful look, she said, “Then I’ll have to thank you for your trouble, Third Prince.”

“Princess Yu, you’re too courteous.”

Chen Nan saw this all unfold very clearly. He secretly sighed. From the scheming that had just conspired, these two were obviously worthy of being born into royal families. In this short amount of time, they already finished a ‘battle of minds’.

The princess, leading her imperial guards who were currently seriously injured, felt rather uneasy after meeting with the Third Prince of the Empire of Baiyue. She wasn’t convinced that this was a chance encounter. The biggest possibility was that her counterpart had been stationed here waiting for her for a long time. For the purpose of self-preservation, she took an overbearing attitude and took the initiative to attack first, making the Third Prince unsure of her actual situation. After that, the topic of Zhuge Chengfeng was inadvertently raised, resulting in the Third Prince feeling rather apprehensive. However, the Third Prince was absolutely not an ordinary contemporary. Although he was left a bit bewildered, he didn’t cower. Rather, he wanted to follow her, trying to make inquiries into her real situation. These two could speak ‘a mouthful of lies’, ‘only talking rubbish’.

The Third Prince and the princess moved their respective parties together out of the mountain. Chen Nan walked behind the troops, secretly glad. Luckily, the Third Prince was bothering the princess, causing her to be unable to notice him hiding behind the troops. But a good thing doesn’t last forever. The little demon’s subordinates, her imperial guards, were quick to discover him, a bound captive. One of the guards dashed to the front and whispered a few things into the little demon’s ears.

At that time, Chen Nan felt darkness shroud the earth. The sky began to lose its colour.

Excitement was evident across the princess’s whole face. She gleefully laughed and walked over to Chen Nan. This was definitely the first time she had expressed her true emotions since encountering the Third Prince, but Chen Nan would rather see her phony smile instead. He didn’t want to see a true, heart-felt smile from her at this time.

He shouted loudly in his heart, “Demons of the netherworld, hurry and collect your offspring!”

At first, the Third Prince didn’t understand why the princess of the Empire of Chu would suddenly become so excited. He couldn’t help but inwardly suspect that Zhuge Chengfeng was nearby. Afterwards, he followed the princess’s line of sight and finally found the ‘root’ of the princess’s excitement. To his surprise, it was their captive from the day before yesterday.

The Third Prince was startled. He began to carelessly guess what the identity of Chen Nan was. With a cough, he said, “From the beginning, this person sneakily followed us. Afterwards, he was captured by my subordinates. Your Highness the princess, do you recognize this person?”

“I recognize him. Of course I recognize him.” The princess gnashed her teeth. “He’s a little eunuch I brought with me from my palace. Originally, he was meant to serve me, but I didn’t expect he’d be the first to flee when we encountered an ancient giant. Little Plum, you didn’t expect to see me again so soon, right?”

For him to become known as a palace eunuch, Chen Nan was simply dazed.

The princess very fiercely stared at him. Her meaning couldn’t be clearer: she was threatening him and threatening him again to make him cooperate.

When one is underneath the eaves, they have no choice but to bow their head. Chen Nan hesitated, but for lack of a better option, said, “Your Highness the princess, please punish me.”

The Third Prince smiled. “So it’s Princess Yu’s slave. Your Highness, please punish him as you wish.” With that, he turned around and left.

“Heiheihei~!” The princess looked at Chen Nan, a smiling expression on her face.

Chen Nan’s body turned cold. He lowered his voice and said, “Your Highness the princess, let’s make a business deal.”

The princess recalled Chen Nan’s previous obscenities. The anger caused her body to shudder. She shrewdly said, “Make a business deal with me? Why? You must be dreaming.”

“Zhuge Chengfeng isn’t actually here and the Third Prince wants to deal with you,” Chen Nan quickly wrote out on the princess’s palm.

The princess moved her palm away and carefully looked him up and down. She said, “It seems that I truly underestimated you. I didn’t expect you smelly thief to have some brains. But—my heart isn’t in the best of moods right now. Let’s delay the business deal. Right now, I want to vent my anger!”

“Ah~!” The sound of Chen Nan’s miserable screams echoed throughout the forest. Sometimes, his screams were mixed with the sounds of the little demonic princess’s laughter. The distant Third Prince and his party looked at each other in dismay. They gained some unwanted insights into the rumoured little witch.

The bright full moon was suspended in the horizon. Bright moonlight, like immaculate feathers, covered a wide expanse of the forest. The night breeze blew gently, carrying with it the delicate fragrance of flowers and plants. The entire mountainous forest was shrouded under a rain of moonlight. Gazing into the distance, it was silent, hazy, harmonious, and serene.

Chen Nan, with a bloody nose and a swollen face, and the princess were currently exchanging ideas with low voices in a tent. The two of them already ascertained that the chance meeting with the Third Prince and his party in the forest was absolutely not incidental. This was all premeditated. These people have been stationed here waiting for a long time on the exit road.

The princess said, “At first, my intuition told me that they want to harm me. But I don’t understand why they have this kind of motive.”

Chen Nan asked, “How is the relationship between the Empire of Baiyue and the Empire of Chu?”

The princess answered, “For the past few years, the relationship between the two nations could be considered pretty good. No unpleasant matters have arisen.”

“This is strange. If it’s like this, why would they want to harm princess?” Chen Nan pondered for a moment. He smiled and said, “I understand. They want to plunder you here.”

“Drop dead.” The princess gave Chen Nan a ferocious beating.

Chen Nan swallowed his pain and said in a low voice, “Am I not helping Your Highness the princess analyze the situation? How could Your Highness the princess get this emotional? Besides, it’s not like this can’t be a possibility.”

“You don’t have to consider this aspect. Anyone who knows the Third Prince knows that he doesn’t live a dissipated lifestyle.”

Chen Nan said, “Maybe… Maybe he wants Your Highness the princess to serve as a gift for someone else.”

Hearing Chen Nan compare her to a gift, the little demonic princess angrily glowered at him with round eyes. She coldly said, “You degenerate. The words you say are way too vulgar. Don’t you know who you’re talking to?” But she quickly calmed down shortly after. She muttered to herself irresolutely, “The possibility is nearly zero.”

“This is strange. Other than Your Highness the princess, what else is capable of making the Third Prince take a risk out of desperation? Wait a minute…”

“Houyi Bow!”

“Houyi Bow!”

Chen Nan and the princess called out together. They both simultaneously came to realize the truth.

“On that day when Your Highness the princess used Houyi Bow to shoot the Monolithic Snake, the golden arrow streaked across the vast sky. It must’ve been seen by the Third Prince.”

“No wonder this guy kept stealing glances at the case on my back. To go as far as to plot and steal Houyi Bow, our nation’s treasure, he really deserves to die.” The princess clenched her little fists and said, “Degenerate, you still haven’t come up with a plan yet?”

“You can’t blame me for this too. The cleverest housewife can’t cook without rice. Your Highness the princess, your guards are already seriously hurt. Right now, we can’t use soldiers, what can I possibly do? I think we should directly give Houyi Bow to the Third Prince and leave it at that. This is called having a clear view of things… Heihei.” Seeing a cold sneer begin to form at the corner of the little demonic princess’s mouth, Chen Nan quickly stopped talking, forcing a smile.

“You degenerate, you boast so shamelessly during the daytime saying you want to strike a business deal with me. In the end, you didn’t help at all. Heihei, this is also alright; I can sort you out without any misgivings now. You don’t know how exhausting it was looking for you these past two days. I’ve been itching to immediately strip off your skin.”

Seeing the princess’s sinister smile, Chen Nan couldn’t refrain from breaking out into a cold shudder. “Your Highness the princess, at that time, I didn’t intend to peep at you… bathing…”

Hearing these words, the princess’s two eyes practically spouted fire. “Ah! Degenerate, you deserve death! You still dare talk about… I’ll kill you!”

[1] 龍門/dragon gate; a mythical gate where a carp can transform into a dragon.
    Last edited by Zoeng Saiwaa; 08-05-15 at 02:25 AM.

Thank you saiwaa..