Thread: The Greed of Man 大時代

Default The Greed of Man 大時代

http://tvbentertainmentnews.blogspot...man-movie.html What do you guys think about the possibility of tvb making the Greed of Man into a movie?

TVB can make it but I won't watch it!

If they are to use a new cast, I really don't think TVB has the talent pool as they did back in 1992. If they are to use the original cast, then they are now too old to reprise their old roles. I would rather they use them and the money to invest into making a new story.

I already had enough watching ATV's unofficial sequel "Divine Retribution". It had Adam, Sean and Amy which was great, but it was like adding legs to a snake. TVB, please leave the timeless classic "Greed of Man" alone!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

yup, I agree, they should leave the series alone. I actually never finish watching Divine Retribution. I think I just saw the first episode and that was it. But for people who were guessing if Vivian Chow's character dies at the end, we know that in divine retribution, she does. I wonder if they were to make a movie, what would they make it about? But its interesting to see interviews of the old cast and what they look like now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    yup, I agree, they should leave the series alone. I actually never finish watching Divine Retribution. I think I just saw the first episode and that was it. But for people who were guessing if Vivian Chow's character dies at the end, we know that in divine retribution, she does. I wonder if they were to make a movie, what would they make it about? But its interesting to see interviews of the old cast and what they look like now.
    "Divine Retribution" was wrong from the beginning. They had Wai Kar Fai, Adam, Sean, Amy and well as other ATV veterans which would have usually been a great combination. But they really should have left GOM alone. I don't mind open endings if they are written nicely and add to the overall feeling of the whole story. The "sequel" not only ruined Ding Hai's "righteous" trait, Chan To To's friendship and Sean got really annoying as well. Seriously, I wish I had never watched it.

I enjoy reading about the casts now and had happened to them 20+ years later. And they also blurted a lot of funny BTS which is very enjoyable. I'm rewatching it on TVB now and I am enjoying it immensely. But what's with everyone saying that David looks like Evergreen? Sure he has put on weight but huh?

If they were to make a movie version, then it would have to be of a similar story but very compacted and they would have to leave out many important details. But with the increased familiarity of how the stock market works now, the original ending twist won't work. They would probably add some rich Mainland Chinese dude that would save the day.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Gosh I wish I could find that clip, there was a clip where it was talking about david and the picture of him really look like evergreen mak, even the hair. But maybe he let his hair grow out again because the link you gave me, he had the hair again similar to when he was in the link.

As for divine retribution, I'm not sure, I just saw the first episode and I guess due to copy right names and some of the story line was changed. It got a bit confusing because in the end of gom, adam was in an insane asylum right and he was old. Sean said he can no longer give someone a punch and kill them because he was old. That's why im not sure how adam fits into divine retribution.

Also, I felt really bad for Amy's character in gom, she really like sean but he only like Vivian, then by helping sean, her dad dies, made me so sad. In the beginning I did find her annoying and her voice but then you start to feel bad for her once you learn more about her character.

Gosh I wish I could find that clip, there was a clip where it was talking about david and the picture of him really look like evergreen mak, even the hair. But maybe he let his hair grow out again because the link you gave me, he had the hair again similar to when he was in the link.
    I think they chose the worst photo of David for the comparison. I have seen a few clips of him since and he looks OK.

As for divine retribution, I'm not sure, I just saw the first episode and I guess due to copyright names and some of the story line was changed. It got a bit confusing because in the end of GOM, Adam was in an insane asylum right and he was old. Sean said he can no longer give someone a punch and kill them because he was old. That's why im not sure how adam fits into divine retribution.
    Yeah, details were changed due to copyright issues. DR is only for GOM fans who know the story inside out. Those who don't will get lost and confused as it does not waste time to explain the complexities between Adam and Sean.

At the end of GOM, Sean had visited Adam shortly after he fell from the roof and crashed through the window. Adam's hair went white from the stress and shock and that was Sean's final revenge, to leave Adam alive in jail/pscyh ward and suffer the pain of losing everything.

DR starts off a few years later with Adam "developing supernatural powers" :rollseyes: and escapes from jail. Sean is in hiding as he is hounded for being the "King of Stocks" and returns to HK when he hears that Adam has escaped. We also see that Sean's wife "Han Mui" actually woke up after the ending of GOM but died a few eps later due to her heart attack. Then her doppelganger appears and the plot goes from bad to horrible:

Also, I felt really bad for Amy's character in gom, she really like sean but he only like Vivian, then by helping sean, her dad dies, made me so sad. In the beginning I did find her annoying and her voice but then you start to feel bad for her once you learn more about her character.
    Up to this date, I actually prefer Long Gei Man over Han Mui. I admire her strength and courage to step up to her dad, Ding Hai and eventually the Ding brothers for who she loves and what she believes in. She is a very tragic character which carries on into "Divine Retribution". I don't why people say Han Mui sacrificed more for Ah Bok than Long Gei Man, who really lost everything dear to her due to Ah Bok. Ah Bok just never saw her more than a friend.
    Cyril Connolly

I think han mui lend him money to bet on the stocks and I guess he just got along with her more. But I think gei man did more for him. I think he should have ended with her. I didn't like how he treated her. Yes her character is pretty tragic. People just like her for her money.

Supernatural power? oh gosh....
    I have to say thou adam cheng was really good. You can't really hate his character. He was just so dumb. He didn't understand stuff and always interpreted things his own ways. It really made me sad when ah ling dies and is trying to get the ring that he realize she don't like him. Its kind of like he's the bad guy the villain but he doesn't have a bad heart. His sons on the other hand were evil.

I think han mui lend him money to bet on the stocks and I guess he just got along with her more. But I think gei man did more for him. I think he should have ended with her. I didn't like how he treated her. Yes her character is pretty tragic. People just like her for her money.
    Now that I am rewatching it, I understand it more. Ah Bok never knew how much Gei Man to go through get help from the Taiwanese triad boss (multiple times) even though she failed cos he thought she was a jinx. Ah Bok only ever saw with his own eyes how Han Mui stood by him through his troubles. I actually preferred Gei Man to end up alone cos I disliked Ah Bok, especially in the end when he indirectly caused all these people to die to win over Ding Hai in the stock market. Though she walked away from Ah Bok in tears, I thought it was a dignified ending for her.

I hate the sequel when she goes back to his side waiting for him to love her again. Its very annoying and irritating.

Supernatural power? oh gosh....
    I have to say thou adam cheng was really good. You can't really hate his character. He was just so dumb. He didn't understand stuff and always interpreted things his own ways. It really made me sad when ah ling dies and is trying to get the ring that he realize she don't like him. Its kind of like he's the bad guy the villain but he doesn't have a bad heart. His sons on the other hand were evil.
    Yeah. Supernatural powers. But not as bad as the "I am your father!" thing. Horrible plot!

I think Ding Hai is not an evil man. he believes in righteousness and tries to think for other people. But he may have some mild form of intellectual disability or social dyslexia that he cannot read social cues and misinterprets other people's actions. He tries to do the right thing, but being unable to understand what the other person wants, he ends up doing the wrong thing.

Being born in a poor family where his mother had little time for him, Ding Hai had poor education and little attention. And if he was really slightly slow as mentioned above, he may have an inferiority complex where his over-the-top agro behaviour is in response to that. He believes he is the forever victim. he fails to see the picture and finds that the whole revolves around him.

Adam did a great job. He brought out the scariness, the madness and childlike traits of Ding Hai seamlessly. I think that it is his best role yet. I agree with you that he does not have a bad heart. He is just the antagonist but definitely not the villain.

I don' think Hao Hai had a bad heart either but was forced to be bad due to circumstances. He had strong family values which was implemented by his dad and he was prepared to sacrifice all to carry out his duties as a big brother and keep the family together. He did bad things and was ruthless (he had to survive in a triad gang from young) and had warped values, but he did know it was wrong but he did it anyway, feeling bad but unable to turn back. He briefly saw Fong Ting as a way out but when she rejected him, he felt that a door has closed and he had no other choice than to stick with the family as he had nothing else.

On the other hand, his three younger brothers were the trouble makers who enjoyed seeing other people suffer. Both Ding Hai and Ding Hao Hai had a conscience.
    Cyril Connolly

Did he end up with gei man in the sequel? I don't know if it was me, I wouldn't have forgiven him for causing my dad to have a heart attach and die. I don't like it now that you mention she is still waiting for him to love her.

The part where fong ting rejects hao hai makes me very sad too. Sometimes I do wonder if she regretted ever being with him. She did make that comment about she didn't know what she saw in him.

Did he end up with gei man in the sequel? I don't know if it was me, I wouldn't have forgiven him for causing my dad to have a heart attack and die. I don't like it now that you mention she is still waiting for him to love her.
    No. She waited in vain for another 10-15 episodes and then she fell in love with Ben Wong who played the continuation of Bowie's role. But that ended tragically as well.

The part where fong ting rejects hao hai makes me very sad too. Sometimes I do wonder if she regretted ever being with him. She did make that comment about she didn't know what she saw in him.
    I think she did regret it a bit. She was quite young and naive at the time she left home to be with Ah Hao and didn't think of the consequences. But what she didn't anticipate that by keeping on dating Ah Hao, it guaranteed that he would protect her family for her sake and keep his brothers under the rein. But when she dumped him, she drove him to become vengeful and bitter and he let his brothers go horrors.

Sometimes, I wished TVB should have expanded on Ah Hao and Ah Ting. It would have been interesting to see more of the star-cross lovers struggle between love and hate. Ah Hao still "loved" her til the end but how about her? It looks like she gave up too easily. Anyhow, Loletta was not a good actress and I found her Fong Ting rather bland in scenes without David.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    No. She waited in vain for another 10-15 episodes and then she fell in love with Ben Wong who played the continuation of Bowie's role. But that ended tragically as well.

Oh gosh that makes me so mad. But I'm glad she didn't end up with ah bok. She deserves so much better. Does her character have to suffer a lot in part two?

I think she did regret it a bit. She was quite young and naive at the time she left home to be with Ah Hao and didn't think of the consequences. But what she didn't anticipate that by keeping on dating Ah Hao, it guaranteed that he would protect her family for her sake and keep his brothers under the rein. But when she dumped him, she drove him to become vengeful and bitter and he let his brothers go horrors.

Sometimes, I wished TVB should have expanded on Ah Hao and Ah Ting. It would have been interesting to see more of the star-cross lovers struggle between love and hate. Ah Hao still "loved" her til the end but how about her? It looks like she gave up too easily. Anyhow, Loletta was not a good actress and I found her Fong Ting rather bland in scenes without David.
    I thought Bowie was a good actor, showed that he really love fong ting. Actually to be honest, after they broke up, I cannot tell if ah hao still love fong ting. He didn't look heart broken, it looks like after the incident with adams case, it just rushed into saying yammie is lock up and sean disappear. As for ah ting, after the break up, it just looks like she gives that stare like she hates david, so im not sure.

I thought Bowie was a good actor, showed that he really love fong ting. Actually to be honest, after they broke up, I cannot tell if ah hao still love fong ting. He didn't look heart broken, it looks like after the incident with adams case, it just rushed into saying yammie is lock up and sean disappear. As for ah ting, after the break up, it just looks like she gives that stare like she hates david, so im not sure.
    Ah Hao definitely still loves Fong Ting. As they were being thrown off the building, Ah Hao was crying in the car and his brothers comforted him. And later down the track when the Ding brothers track Ah Bok to Taiwan and they met with the Taiwanese triads in a restaurant, Ah Hao clearly says that he ordered the love of his life to be thrown off a building.

As for whether Fong Ting still loves Ah Hao, TVB did not flesh it and Loletta is not a good actress. She has quite boring eyes that don't express much. However, she did avoid Ah Hao's gaze as the Ding brothers walked into the hospital where Ding Hai was keeping Ling Jeh and others hostage. But then as you say, later down the track. she says that she did not know what she saw in him. I guess she was pretty disgusted with him at the time.

But Ah Hao had years to figure out that he still loved Fong Ting after all the rejection, hate and vengeance. Fong Ting only had a month or two since the breakup to figure out her feelings. IMO, I think that Ah Hao loved Fong Ting more than she loved him, but maybe he has the advantage of more screentime.

I just found that ATV is airing "Divine Retribution" at the moment. Wong Mei has such an insignificant role as some hacker. But after watching one episode, I really hate it still.

Long Gei Man's role was taken over by Alice Chan and Amy was given a new role. For characters in the "sequel", I'm going to use the actual name of the artistes as it can be hard to follow from the story of GOM. Alice actually waited for Sean for years, waiting for his wife to die, his wife's doppelganger to disappear and the other girls to go away. Then she even proposed to Sean in one scene and said she will follow his wife's way of thrifty living. Then she went crying and got sick, then accepted Ben. Then Ben dies and she tries to get revenge for Ben, but failed. She was still friends with Sean at the end of DR but luckily, no more passion. It is irritatingly tragic in a bad way. It is so out of character for her.

I even caught a glimpse of Adam in one of his supernatural episodes, remembering that he had an affair with Sean's mum.

Anyway, back to GOM, I and eagerly awaiting for Ling Jeh's death scene. Ding Hai is going to be released soon and the tension begins!
    Cyril Connolly

Gosh makes me so angry, they make gei man's character so low as to wait for ah bok still and try be like han mui. Poor girl.
    She has to suffer so much.

OH are you watching gom on tv? When ling jeh dies, I was so sad in the past when I watch it. She was very convincing in the mental hospital.

I kind of want to watch DR now just for wong mei, what episode is she in? I just saw the first episode a long time ago. Lawrence and Andrew plays the ding brothers and dies in the first episode.

I don't remember ah hao crying when fong ting dies. But I agree he loves her more than she loved him. He was willing to give up everything to start a new life with her but I don't think she ever got over the fact ding hai killed her dad.

Gosh makes me so angry, they make gei man's character so low as to wait for ah bok still and try be like han mui. Poor girl.
    She has to suffer so much.

OH are you watching gom on tv? When ling jeh dies, I was so sad in the past when I watch it. She was very convincing in the mental hospital.

I kind of want to watch DR now just for wong mei, what episode is she in? I just saw the first episode a long time ago. Lawrence and Andrew plays the ding brothers and dies in the first episode.
    Wong Mei is not in any special episode. She just pops up here and there as a background prop. She has no story of her own and as far as I can remember, no name.

Yeah I was watching GOM on TVB. It was nice to rewatch it day by day rather than all in one go. Yes. When Ling Jeh died it was so sad. Felt like kicking Ding hai in the face when he kept chasing her and pushing to the brink.
    Cyril Connolly

maybe i'll watch it if I have time. I guess I will be skipping a lot of alice scenes.

Yeh I recall when Ling jeh dies, its like when her husband dies =(