Thread: Liu Mai Shen Jian and Duan Yu

Default Liu Mai Shen Jian and Duan Yu

Can someone please help me understand how/why Duan Yu is able to learn Liu Mai Shen Jian while all the others in his family are not? Also is Yi Yang Zhi the prerequisite for Liu Mai Shen Jian? If so, how is Duan Yu able to do it without learning / mastering Yi Yang Zhi?

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    Can someone please help me understand how/why Duan Yu is able to learn Liu Mai Shen Jian while all the others in his family are not? Also is Yi Yang Zhi the prerequisite for Liu Mai Shen Jian? If so, how is Duan Yu able to do it without learning / mastering Yi Yang Zhi?
    Because of his Bak Ming Sun Gung skills, Deun Yu absorbed an ungodly amount of inner power that surpassed the levels of Deun Jing Ming, Deun Jing Tsun, and Deun Yin Hing. Lack of sufficient inner power is the main reason that people fail to master the 6 Mak Divine Swords.

On the other hand, due to his lack of training in 1 Yeung Finger Technique, Deun Yu's 6 Mak Divine Swords was buggy and unreliable.

Yup that's the reason, but I kind of hate this idea that JY constantly reinforces.

We know Xu Zhu was incredibly crappy at learning martial arts, but after absorbing inner strength he's able to learn the most sophisticated martial arts in the world. Ditto with Zhang Wuji suddenly understanding martial arts *theories* better than geniuses who have trained for decades like Fan Yao.

Kind of makes understanding martial arts a moot point when the only pre-requisite is to have high inner strength. I know he's a bit inconsistent with it depending on the novel, but I suppose the inconsistency is what also bothers me.

My understanding was that DY was in the privileged position of having six yiyangzi experts devoting their energies to a single meridian each, and then sharing their discoveries with him. He could watch as each of the six decoded and mastered the essence of each meridian sword, so that by the time Kurong burned the manual, he had not only memorised the entire manual, but seen each meridian sword in action. From then on it was only a matter of time that he would gain enough internal energy and practice to be able to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    My understanding was that DY was in the privileged position of having six yiyangzi experts devoting their energies to a single meridian each, and then sharing their discoveries with him. He could watch as each of the six decoded and mastered the essence of each meridian sword, so that by the time Kurong burned the manual, he had not only memorised the entire manual, but seen each meridian sword in action. From then on it was only a matter of time that he would gain enough internal energy and practice to be able to use them.
    But still, Duan Yu just comes across so dumb that it is hard to imagine he put together all this profound knowledge and managed to learn and practice what is considered arguably the most powerful martial arts in the entire Jin Yong universe.

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    But still, Duan Yu just comes across so dumb that it is hard to imagine he put together all this profound knowledge and managed to learn and practice what is considered arguably the most powerful martial arts in the entire Jin Yong universe.
    Deun Yu was a fast learner when it came to martial arts. He was a bit of bumbler when it came to managing his relationships (many of we dudes are), but that's separate from his martial arts learning ability.