Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did Huang Rong show compassion for YG and made up the Divine Nun Story?

Default Why did Huang Rong show compassion for YG and made up the Divine Nun Story?

Throughout ROCH novel it was consistently shown that HR dislikes YG, she has always thought the worst of him. For example, she thought YG was evil like his father and teaching him martial arts would lead to him harming/killing her family, she also thought that he took her baby daughter to try and exchange for the antidote and why she agreed that Guo Fu slicing off his arm was the right thing to do, HR even said that if it was her she would have sliced his remaining arm. Even in the latter parts of the novel, when Yang Guo have saved her family members again and committed good deeds for Xiangyang, she still didn't want Guo Xiang around YG, believing that if he didn't meet XLN again that he would go crazy and harm her youngest daughter. Furthermore, HR believes that YG's relationship with XLN was the equivalent of incest and no different than what animals do (it was in either the 1st or 2nd edition that she thought this way, forgot which one).

With the examples I have listed, it has been established throughout the novel that HR does not like YG and she thinks he is a despicable character capable of doing the most immoral things. So then why did she make up the story of the divine nun of the south seas to try and comfort Yang Guo during his most painful point in life? Wouldn't HR not give a damn and even revel in YG's pain?

Quote Originally Posted by _Kenny_ View Post
    Throughout ROCH novel it was consistently shown that HR dislikes YG, she has always thought the worst of him.
    Not *forever*, and not after Yeung Gor saved her and her family several times.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

The bit about HR wanting to chop of YG's other arm, was that in the novel?

If it was then it seems out of character for HR, as she strikes me as a ruthless but not a cruel person.

As for her feelings for YG, they seem a mix of respectful admiration and justifiable caution. Remember when she discovered he was poisoned she offered her own life in exchange for the antidote.

Her opinion of YG and XLN relationship was just a reflection of the social norm at the time, don't forget even GJ thought the same thing and there is no doubting his paternal love for YG.

As for her fears for GX's safety, this stems from her inability to guess YG's emotions rather than assuming he was a despicable person. YG has shown he is capable of great violence especially where XLN is concerned and there was no telling what he might do if she was dead. Don't forget nearly every pain in his life can be laid at the feet of the Guo family and even if HR completely understood his true character she would still be justified if she had her doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    The bit about HR wanting to chop of YG's other arm, was that in the novel?
    Yes it is.

If it was then it seems out of character for HR, as she strikes me as a ruthless but not a cruel person.
    It is in her nature to think like that. She was like that throughout LOCH. She conceals that part of her as a mother but when desperate, biology takes over.

Furthermore, HR believes that YG's relationship with XLN was the equivalent of incest and no different than what animals do (it was in either the 1st or 2nd edition that she thought this way, forgot which one).
    I don't remember that part. What I do remember is one time HR felt the relationship between YG and XNL is no different than she and GJ in that both were unconventional and lacked peer support. At that moment she wondered why she shouldn't just let them be, but then she thought "my husband wants to turn them around, how can I not help?"

To me that scene is in the same vein as at Juxian Manor when some heroes began to realiz their backwards way of racial prejudice, but brushed it off anyway.
    Last edited by PJ; 06-14-15 at 01:11 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

[QUOTE=PJ;1111366]Yes it is.

It is in her nature to think like that. She was like that throughout LOCH. She conceals that part of her as a mother but when desperate, biology takes over.

I can understand HR wanting to protect her daughter, but it cannot excuse her actions. No one has the right to harm an innocent person to protect their child and in this case YG who had saved the Guo family on multiple occasions her actions were even more contemptible.

As great as maternal love is it cannot be used as an excuse to act immorally, otherwise every mother in the world would have a ready excuse to commit the most horrendous of crimes.

I can understand HR wanting to protect her daughter, but it cannot excuse her actions. No one has the right to harm an innocent person to protect their child and in this case YG who had saved the Guo family on multiple occasions her actions were even more contemptible.

As great as maternal love is it cannot be used as an excuse to act immorally, otherwise every mother in the world would have a ready excuse to commit the most horrendous of crimes.
    BOTTOM LINE: Did Wong Yung follow through on the idea, any more than Yeung Gor followed through on his idea to kill her and Gwok Jing because he thought they had murdered his father?

She isn't guilty of anything more than he was. If we're going to judge them, then let's use the same standard for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    BOTTOM LINE: Did Wong Yung follow through on the idea, any more than Yeung Gor followed through on his idea to kill her and Gwok Jing because he thought they had murdered his father?

She isn't guilty of anything more than he was. If we're going to judge them, then let's use the same standard for both.
    Very well let us judge like for like. YG sparing of both GJ and GF were conscious choices, the former he gave up the opportunity to kill, the latter the moral high ground to maim. On both occasions he put someone else's well being above his own life and grievances.

Now I have not read the novels, but in all the adaptations YG disappeared as soon as he lost his arm and when he reemerged he had the HIS. So HR was not stopped by her conscience like YG but simply by a lack of opportunity.

So who would you say had the moral high ground.

Very well let us judge like for like. YG sparing of both GJ and GF were conscious choices, the former he gave up the opportunity to kill, the latter the moral high ground to maim. On both occasions he put someone else's well being above his own life and grievances.

Now I have not read the novels, but in all the adaptations YG disappeared as soon as he lost his arm and when he reemerged he had the HIS. So HR was not stopped by her conscience like YG but simply by a lack of opportunity.

So who would you say had the moral high ground.
    Honestly, NEITHER, but both soon gave up any idea of harming each other, did they not? They both arrived at the same conclusion: they weren't really enemies.

Honestly, NEITHER, but both soon gave up any idea of harming each other, did they not? They both arrived at the same conclusion: they weren't really enemies.
    YG did not harbour any real resentment towards HR after giving up on revenge for his father's death, but the same cannot be said of HR's suspicions. It is a running gag in ROCH that every time YG saves one of the Guo family, HR would be eternally grateful to him... until the next time, when she would immediately jump to the worst-possible conclusion about YG's motives. Probably the most obvious example would be after the 16-year gap, when she jumped to the conclusion that YG had seduced Guo Xiang to take revenge upon their family in the most despicable manner possible (based on no real evidence at all) and prepared to ambush YG with her stick and needles.

The thing is though, she is aware of her own prejudices, and admits to them after discovering that YG did not in fact have nefarious purposes in mind, but she still can't help suspecting him the next time something happens. Perhaps JY is trying to make a point that old prejudices die hard, even in people with great intellect?

So then, does anyone have any idea why HR would show compassion for YG during his lowest time and make up the divine nun story to comfort him? It's been consistently established that HR does not like YG, and usually thinks the worst of him and is consistently suspicious of him. So why the story? Shouldn't she have not given a damn?

So then, does anyone have any idea why HR would show compassion for YG during his lowest time and make up the divine nun story to comfort him? It's been consistently established that HR does not like YG, and usually thinks the worst of him and is consistently suspicious of him. So why the story? Shouldn't she have not given a damn?
    She doesn't really hate him...she's just suspicious of and fearful of him, and not without reason.

She doesn't really hate him...she's just suspicious of and fearful of him, and not without reason.
    No kidding! I just got done rewatching LOCH '82 and a few seconds after Guo Jing has just held and named baby Yang Guo, HR says she has a feeling that the baby will not like her in the future! She was already fearful of YG even when he was a baby!

It's been more than a decade since I have read the novel and I don't even remember if that part is in there or just made up for TVB, but I thought it was funny as hell that in the TVB adaptation that she was already suspicious and fearful of him as a baby.

No kidding! I just got done rewatching LOCH '82 and a few seconds after Guo Jing has just held and named baby Yang Guo, HR says she has a feeling that the baby will not like her in the future! She was already fearful of YG even when he was a baby!

It's been more than a decade since I have read the novel and I don't even remember if that part is in there or just made up for TVB, but I thought it was funny as hell that in the TVB adaptation that she was already suspicious and fearful of him as a baby.
    Wong Yung had foresight. As it was, she was *nearly* correct.

Think HR once mentioned in the TVB '82 that the smart tends to be over-smart.

She was somewhat correct in that YG doesn't really like her either in the novels or the tv adaptations, but she was way off in analyzing his character.

Because HR is human and complex. She has compassion and is not one sided. If you hated someone, you may still feel sympathy and compassion if something bad really happened to them, and you might feel that you might not hate them as much, especially when HR didn't even hate YG. She is smart and she understands completely that some of her suspicions are not right considering that time and time again she has been proven wrong. But it's just an internal guts feeling she has about YG she can not shake it off, but doesn't mean she will treat him like dirt at any chance possible. Therefore when YG needed help or compassion, she is ready to give to him.

She was somewhat correct in that YG doesn't really like her either in the novels or the tv adaptations, but she was way off in analyzing his character.
    As she herself so admitted, but Yeung Gor didn't make it easy. He was one hell of a weirdo...moreso than Wong Yung's father, in some ways.

As she herself so admitted, but Yeung Gor didn't make it easy. He was one hell of a weirdo...moreso than Wong Yung's father, in some ways.
    Yang Guo was compassionate in a way that Huang Yaoshi and even Huang Rong weren't. As has been said elsewhere, Huang Rong, if she had never met Guo Jing, would have been one hell of a villain. Yang Guo prioritises those who are close to him, just like HR does, but unlike her, he also shows sympathy for the underdog for its own sake. He'd showed heroism even before he'd met the Guo couple.

Throughout ROCH novel it was consistently shown that HR dislikes YG, she has always thought the worst of him.
    HR does not like YG and she thinks he is a despicable character capable of doing the most immoral things.
    In my honest opinion, the premise of your question is incorrect. The question assumes that disliking someone automatically means you are incapable of showing compassion towards them.

Firstly, I don't believe that Huang Rong disliked Yang Guo or thought the absolute worst of him. She certainly did not think that he was a despicable character capable of doing the most immoral things as you wrote in your post. Yes she was skeptical of him given his father Yang Kang's despicable and villanous character and also the fact that Yang Guo was the adopted son / god-son of Ouyang Feng another villanous and despicable character. But who wouldn't be skeptical? She had every right to be.

But even if we assume for the sake of discussion that Huang Rong disliked Yang Guo (and I make no such concessions that she disliked him), that does not mean she cannot be compassionate towards him or the situation he was in. He was just struck with a tragedy of epic proportions of his wife and the love of his life having died (or so we all thought). You would have to be a really evil person to not empathize with someone at this juncture in their life.

I may dislike someone. But that doesn't mean that I am incapable of showing compassion towards that person, especially if that person is going through a very tough time in their life.

She self-fulfilled her prophecy by her action. YG has no dislike for her when they met up again after 10 years. It's her treatment of Yeung Guo that caused the dislike. She was suspicious of YG, and thus purposely not teach him martial art. She immediately thought YG was in the wrong in the children's squabble when it was her child and the 2 Mo brothers that was bullying YG. She always jump on the worst conclusion on YG. YG is a very sensitive and perceptive child. He can sense who genuinely love him and who did not. YG still loves and respects Little Dragon Girl despite her beating him with a cane, because he knew she genuinely cares for him.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-07-15 at 11:07 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩