Thread: Jin Yong Online (Mobile)

Default Jin Yong Online (Mobile)

Hi, all

Just want to give everyone a heads-up on a game I've been playing for the past 5 days - 金庸群俠傳 or Jin Yong Online. You can see the details on the Play Store here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.seddxb

There's probably a version on the App Store as well, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe it's not there or something, but if it's not I'm sure it's a matter of time.

EDIT: There is a version on the App Store as well!!

It starts off with a short in-game intro with Guo Jing leading a team of wulin heroes such as Yang Guo, Dragon Girl etc and taking on Dongfang Bubai's Evil Sect, comprising Ren Woxing and a few others. Guo Jing is beaten, and I think he either returns to start again, or it's a flashback. You start by drawing your first hero card - Guo Jing, given to you free. As you run through the tutorial for drawing goodies you will also be given Linghu Chong and Mei Chaofeng free, so you basically have a starting team of three. Max team is five.

I'll slowly explain the different parts of the game - there's quite a lot, although it's quite simple once you start playing.

Jianghu

The bulk of the game takes place in the Jianghu section (represented on the main menu/landscape by a statue of Guo Jing shooting his bow). In Jianghu, you are given a series of maps, and each map has a number of encounters. Main encounters are shown as locations (which when completed, give a 1-3 star rating depending on how many of your heroes are left standing at the end), and these can be repeated as often as energy allows. Along the linear path through these encounters are smaller encounters which you need to beat to progress along the map, but which can never be replayed and for which the star rating is (as far as I can see) irrelevant and not even shown. Occasionally these once-off encounters give really good items for your level, but since they're not farmable it's just to give you a small, temporary, benefit. Once you complete a map, you unlock the "Jing Ying" Elite version of the map which you can play as well. The main differences are the once-off encounters aren't there, the main encounters cost twice as much energy to play (12 compared to 6), and most of the encounters have a chance of dropping a jigsaw piece of one of the characters involved in the encounter. Encounter 2 in Elite Map 1, for example, has a chance of dropping you a Zuo Lengchan jigsaw piece. Collect 10 and you can summon the Master of Songshan into your ranks. Encounter 3 gives you a chance to get Mei Chaofeng, who you already have, but extra jigsaw pieces can be used to upgrade your character. For example, I have 4 Mei Chaofeng jigsaw pieces, and her character sheet shows 4/20. Once I get 20 I can upgrade her to a 2-star version which will presumably be more powerful. I haven't got there yet!

How do encounters work? Your team enters from the left, and the enemies enter from the right, and you all start to scrap. You can't control any of the heroes - they just move to their positions (depending on whether they're frontline tanks e.g. Guo Jing, middle skirmishers e.g. Linghu Chong, or back row skirmishers/support e.g. Mei Chaofeng) and start hitting and being hit. Damage done, blocked, avoided, together with special attacks, are calculated automatically. The only control you have over the combat is when you want your heroes to use their "Jue Xue" or Extreme Art. As heroes fight their green health bar may go up or down, and below that there is the yellow adrenaline bar. The bar starts at zero, and increases as the hero fights. Once it is full, they are fully charged up, and their portrait starts to flash with a yellow border, indicating that the Juexue can be unleashed. You then tap the portrait whenever you feel like it to release the Juexue, which is usually a powerful attack, although in certain cases, such as Zhang Wuji's 九陽神功 (9yang) which boosts resistance to internal-type attacks, and Xiao Zhao's healing dance, they do different things. You can auto-battle the map in which case the Juexue is usually automatically released when fully charged and the adrenaline starts to charge from zero again, and this is what you'll probably do when farming easier maps. With harder maps you may want to micromanage the Juexue use a bit to ensure that healing is only cast when your tank is badly injured, or that Juexue isn't wasted with just one dying enemy on the screen. Each encounter is three screens long, and when you beat one screen the second loads. Enemies may drop loot when killed, but you only get it when you actually complete the encounter. Beat an encounter with three stars and you have the option of fast-battling the encounter (assuming you have a nifty fast-battle token - you can get those as loot too) - you can fast battle once, or 10x at a go. The tokens are used up, the energy is deducted from your bar, and you see the loot you get appear on the screen. Very VERY helpful when trying to farm for something hard to get on an easy map. You can run regular encounters as often as yo have energy and tokens, although Elite encounters can only be run three times every day (to prevent easy farming of character jigsaws).

Heroes

There is a very large selection of heroes you can get (49 in total for now) drawn from LOCH, ROCH, HSDS and SPW. I'm sure as the game gets updated other heroes from other stories will be added. Heroes have normal RPG stats but some things are worth explaining.

Equipment - equipment boosts stats, but each hero has a certain equipment piece required to slot into each of his six slots - you can't just pick up a sword and give to it anyone. Once all six pieces of equipment are equipped (and you can't remove equipment, although you don't need to) you can upgrade your hero. All six pieces are absorbed by the hero, his stats increase (to be even better than they were with the old equipment worn - unless you upgraded the equipment) and the six slots reset with new equipment requirements. As you fight through the maps you collect the equipment or equipment components and work towards completing the set so you can upgrade the hero. Equipment is one of the main reasons why we have farm old levels - each slot tells you what equipment you need, what components you need, and which encounter you can get it from, so it's all very easy. The once-off encounters sometimes give you hard-to-get equipment (sometimes giving you the whole thing instead of the components which you need to farm) and are quite helpful in this regard. You can also buy equipment from the shops, and when they do appear do get them - they're not that expensive. Equipment upgrades also change your hero's borders - heroes start with gray borders, after one upgrade they change to green borders, and two more upgrades later they change to blue. They turn purple later but I haven't got there yet. The border not only reflects the strength, it mainly affects how many Juexue each character has access to.

Juexue - Each character has 4 Juexue, and at the beginning, with a gray border, only the first one is available. This is the one you use in combat by tapping the portrait with a glowing yellow border. Guo Jing's 亢龍有悔, Huang Yaoshi's 弹指神通, Zhang Wuji's 九陽神功, Linghu Chong's 破劍式 etc all fall under this category. As the heroes go to green border, they unlock the second Juexue. The second and subsequent Juexues, however, are not the sort you activate in combat by tapping the portrait, but they are used automatically by the heroes in battle, and as far as I know, are not limited by adrenaline. Some have effects which are obvious - like how Xiao Zhao charms an enemy to turn against his teammates, but by and large they just buff your heroes and you don't really notice them in use other than when the special effects appear.

Heroes also level up during battle as they gain exp, and the game is very generous with the Revival Pills (小還丹), which contrary to their names, do not actually heal. You feed these to heroes to give them exp, so if your team is level 20 and you suddenly recruit a new hero you want to use, just stuff them with 小還丹 and they'll reach level 20 in no time. You still need to fulfil their equipment requirements to upgrade them to green and blue borders, though!

There's also the evolution by acquiring additional jigsaw pieces, but I haven't manage to evolve anyone yet, so don't really know how they will affect the heroes.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 06-25-15 at 08:16 AM.

Huashan Duels

Huashan Duels are represented by the stone sword on the main screen, and it's a PvP arena leaderboard thing. You choose from three selected opponents of comparable team strength and duke it out. Win, and you go up the leaderboard. Prizes are given out depending on your leaderboard position every day. You have nothing to lose, so go ahead and win some premium currency and some Huashan currency which you can use to shop in the Huashan Treasure Corner.

Equipment Forge

At the forge, you can upgrade any equipment being worn by a hero by sacrificing unneeded gear. Grey border gear is 2 points, green is 6 points etc.. at 20 points your equipped gear gets a boost. I think you upgrade them further later, but for now I can only upgrade them once. The boost is very significant, so if you Upgrade your hero later there's a chance that your total stats will fall when you lose your upgraded equipment, but, of course, you can then equip new gear, and upgrade it too! Best done when you have characters who are nowhere near upgrading because a certain piece of gear is too far away, unobtainable, or has a level requirement you don't meet.

Menpai

You can form sects or join existing ones in this screen, but I haven't tried yet. Maybe one day we can have an SPCnet sect?

Zuixian Manor

This ill-fated manor from DGSD is where you can draw freebie prizes. Green prizes are free every few hours, while red ones are free every three days or so. There's a chance you can draw heroes, but I've only ever drawn Linghu Chong and Mei Chaofeng during the tutorial - otherwise it's always been gear or pills.

Peach Blossom

In Taohuadao there are two encounters - Huang Yaoshi or Huang Rong. Both cost 6 energy to play, and Huang Yaoshi's map drops lots of precious rock you can sell in the shops for good money, while Huang Rong's map drops lots of 小還丹. Useful if you need either, but you can only play them twice a day, and at least 10 minutes apart. They are also open on different days of the week.

Wulin Challenge

Wulin Challenge is a gauntlet map in which your team has to fight a series of encounters without recharging between them. This is best done when you have a lot a team members so you can swap them in and out between fights. Having Xiao Zhao's healing powers is probably also a must. I cleared the first map but couldn't progress to the second - clearing the first map gives you the prizes you won for the map, but doesn't recharge you for the second map. Someday I'll try again.

Sacred Grounds

You can visit the sacred grounds of Wudang, Shaolin or Emei to win battles and get hard-to-find gear. Emei is really hard since only girls can visit the place, and Xiao Zhao and Mei Chaofeng alone get smashed.... One day I'll get more ladies - I'm really keen on Ren Yingying and Zhou Zhiruo, even though they're quite a long ways away. Ren Yingying's attack sound - a guzheng's STRUMMMM!!! - is a beautiful departure from everyone else's grunts and whacks.

Shops

There are various shops you can visit - there's one on the main screen, one in Huashan, and a couple which appear occasionally depending on the time and day. All sell gear, gear jigsaws, pills or hero jigsaws at various prices.

There are also a few places which I haven't unlocked. All main screen items are level-locked - only Jianghu and Zuixian Manor are available at the start. I can't remember at what levels the others are unlocked, but Shaolin is unlocked at level 30, while Menpais are unlocked at 32. Normal currency are the copper coins, while premium currency is the golden Xuanbao. You can pretty much do anything you want in the game without paying, but Xuanbao gives you benefits like allowing you to restore your energy, allows you to run the Elite Encounters another three times (e.g. if you're just one jigsaw short of Zhang Wuji and REALLY want him today), allows you to draw more prizes from Zuixian Manor etc... basically Xuanbao allows you to do anything you want without needing to wait out the timers. It allows for quicker progression, and right now there's a special offer which gives you Huang Yaoshi for free if you spend any amount. It's a nice game, I am enjoying it thoroughly, it's giving me a chance to introduce my son to the world of Jin Yong, and .. well, I now have Huang Yaoshi in my team. Starts off at 2-stars, and he has compatibility bonus with Mei Chaofeng too. But I digress - you don't NEED to pay to play at all.

There's probably a lot more to say, but I can't think of anything for now. This thread should be enough to get you started, and if you have any questions do ask them here. My Chinese isn't as polished as it could be, but I can guess most of the stuff in the game. It's fun, addictive, and more than a little nostalgic, and I hope to see you guys there!
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 07-08-15 at 02:04 PM.

Reserved in case I want to add something after more playing!

This is for those who may not be able to read Chinese, but would still like to try the game. The game itself isn't very text heavy (the storyline dialogue and encounter descriptions add flavour but are not essential to playing), and other than the character names and skills most of the stuff is not really essential. Even with gear, you don't need to know what they do because you can't choose what to wear anyway - you need that item for that character's slot at that level, and so you just follow the graphics menus and get it. What would be helpful is knowing what is happening during the tutorial, which should set you up for the rest of the gameplay. As you unlock new characters, skills and places to go to on the main landscape, do feel free to ask for help here!

Tutorial Walkthrough

The tutorial opens with a fight on a rooftop. Guo Jing, Yang Guo, Dragon Girl, Qiu Chuji and Ke Zhener get thrashed by Dongfang Bubai, Xie Xun, Golden Wheel Monk and Li Mochou. As the fight progresses, Yang Guo is pwned at the start, and Dragon Girl wants to use her Juexue to attack. Screen pauses, her portrait lights up with the glowing border, and you tap it to activate 玉女素心剑法. You then do the same for Ke Zhener who uses his crutch attack whose name I can't be bothered to Google, and then Qiu Chuji with his Big Dipper Sword. Everyone loses, though, and the conversation goes like this:-

GJ : Dongfang Bubai's art really is deep beyond fathom....
    DFBB: Little person, the orthodox sects really are this weak!
    GJ : Not good enough, looks like we can't achieve our goal today....
    GJ : Master Dongfang, one day we will regroup, wulin will never be at peace as long as your evil sect isn't destroyed.

Screen then changes to the main landscape menu, and you are given Guo Jing's character card. Tap on him to receive it, and follow Dragon Girl's instructions to enter Zuixian Manor. "Zuixian Manor is full of crouching tigers and hidden dragons. You'll be able to meet lots of wulin heroes here." She then asks you to tap the button on the green "Tan Xian" (Explore) icon to explore what is hidden in there. "Zuixian Manor gives you a few free explorations every day". Tap the button and your exploration will yield Linghu Chong's card, meaning that you recruited him from the Manor. She then asks you to tap the button on the red "Li Lian" (Practice) icon, saying that maybe you can get something unexpected by practicing. "Zuixian Manor will open for practicing regularly - it's a good opportunity not to be missed". Tap the practice session button and Mei Chaofeng will join you. Both Explore and Practice Icons will have a cooldown period, but you can spend xuanbao to buy exploration or practice sessions. If you spend xuanbao to buy ten Practice Sessions the menu says that you are guaranteed a hero, although I've never tried. I usually just draw them as the timers reset, and get gear or pills. Tap the "Back" button on the top left.

You are now asked to tap on Guo Jing's statue, leading you to "Jianghu". Tap it, and then tap to the first encounter - "Heaven is my witness". Wang Chongyang has been in seclusion from wulin for many years, and has now decided to reenter wulin to uphold righteousness. First row is 6 food, or energy. This is the cost in energy to run the encounter. Second row shows the expected enemies for the encounter - peasant, Quanzhen priest and Wang Chongyang, all at level 1. You can tap their icons to read a description of the character. Last row is the potential gear you can get from the encounter through gear drops, in this case an Iron Sword and a Big Sabre. Tap the "Next" button on the bottom right to select your team.

Select all three heroes and they will automatically take their places in your squad. Guo Jing in front, Linghu Chong in the middle, and Mei Chaofeng at the back. If you use the tabs on the right of the character pool screen you can filter your heroes according to position. First tab at the top is all, second is front, third is centre, fourth is back, and the last one I haven't been able to unlock yet. Tap the crossed swords icon and start the encounter. Just watch the fight - you can't select the autobattle button at the bottom right yet because you need to be level 2 to use it. After the fight hit the double arrows to move to the second screen. They merrily skip offscreen to the right, and now Xiaolongnu asks you to use juexue. go ahead and use them if you want, it makes no difference since you'll win easily enough without them anyway. Third screen is the boss screen, in this case Wang Chongyang. "I've retreated from Jianghu for many years, little youngsters leave this place immediately!". GJ replies "Wulin is threatened by the evil sect, we request Ancestor Chongyang to reemerge and uphold justice." "Enough talk, since I've retired I'm not interested in the martial arts world anymore." "Then I'll have to offend!". Tap the juexues and win the fight. Pick up any loot you may have gained and the summary screen appears. Xiaolongnu congratulates you on new equipment and asks you to go wear it. First, though, tap the button beside the Exp and Coins gain at the top, just below the three stars. You'll see the damage breakdown of your team (and the enemy team) there, quite equal for now. Later on when you use people like Xiaozhao and Zhang Wuji you'll see that they do peanuts damage compared to the rest of the team, but that's because of their focus on healing and defense respectively.

Tap the double triangle "fast forward" button on the bottom right and then tap the dropdown menu on the top right when the map appears again. Tap the first icon which is highlighted - the "hero" icon. You'll see a list of heroes - those at the top are those you have. Those dimmed ones at the bottom are those you can have eventually. Feel free to sort them using the tabs again to see who is a front, middle or back character, which can be useful if you want to decide which character to try and farm jigsaw pieces for next. Tap on Guo Jing, tap on the inventory slot highlighted with a green + sign and give him the sword. If you feel that Linghu Chong should have it since he's a swordsman you can give it to him instead, but it makes no difference. It's more like a component for evolution which boosts stats, rather than any real weapon for him to use. Xiaolongnu warns you that giving the sword is permanent, but you knew that, so go ahead and then tap the X to close Guo Jing's character sheet. Tap the "Back" button at the top left and move to the next encounter - a small once-off encounter called Old freaks of Wulin. 6 Energy, three varieties of Quanzhen priests, and Ren Woxing. You can get an iron sword and a jade piece as random loot. Tap next, then the crossed swords (since there's no team management to do), win the first fight, and tap the double arrows to the next screen. Use juexue as Xiaonlongnu prompts then meet Ren Woxing in the boss fight. "Hahaha, trying to obstruct the Holy Sect's business, idiotic dream." "Sect Leader Ren, what does your sect want?" "Want? Want you to die!!", then tap tap tap and it's all over for the bad guys. Proceed to the summary screen, then to the next encounter on the map. Another small once-off encounter - Ancestor of Ancient Tomb, and Lin Chaoying is now the boss. Win the small encounter, you reach the next major encounter against "Young Master of White Camel" with Ouyang Ke as the boss. Fight your way to him, they have some short dialogue, beat him and you (not your heroes, but you yourself) should level up. You can now use autobattles (tap once for autobattle, again for 2x speed autobattle, again to turn off autobattle. Try it in your next fight - a once-off battle with Mei Chaofeng (yes, you can end up fighting copies of your own heroes).

The drop-down menu on the top right now lights up again. Tap it, and tap the 4th item - Achievements. You'll see that you have beaten the achievement "Boundless Jianghu" by beating the encounter with Mei Chaofeng, and are rewarded with five Qiu Chuji jigsaws. Collect them (that's half a Qiu Chuji already), equip your heroes with gear you picked up since you're at the drop-down menu anyway, and head back to the map. Next once-off encounter, "weird and cheeky" (how on earth do you translate "Gu Ling Jing Guai"?) where you beat Xiaozhao. Smile as she is beaten and cutely falls to the ground in tears, and then notice that the drop down menu at the top right has a red dot again (red dot means there's something to do there - either gear you can wear, or an achievement you can get, or some daily prize you can collect). You have another achievement, this time they give you 3 Xiaozhao jigsaws for beating her level. Next encounter with Mei Chaofeng you'll win another achivement which gives you another 5 Qiu Chuji jigsaws. Grab those, and go to the "heroes" screen again. Xiaolongnu tells you that a new hero is available and willing to follow you. Tap on Qiu Chuji who has now moved to the top of the screen, his portrait will lose the dimness, and he will now join your team after you pay 1000 copper coins. You get a new achievement and five pills, which allow you to level Qiu Chuji up immediately to match the rest of your team. Tap on the second icon on the dropdown menu - inventory. Search for the pills, tap on them and you'll see the description on the left. Tap on the right "use" button, and select Qiu Chuji, and he will eat one. Tap him five times and he'll eat five (or you can give some to other people). He should end up the same level (if not higher) as the rest of your team. Tap "back", go to next encounter, and Xiaolongnu reminds you to add Qiu Chuji to your team. Do that and whack Zuo Lengchan's team.

After 10 encounters you'll get a gift for completing them (get gifts from the fifth icon at the bottom in the drop down menu). You'll probably level up at the same time, and unlock the ability to level up your juexue. When you reach level 5 you'll also get an achievement which gives you 1 Zhang Wuji jigsaw. Head back to the heroes screen and tap on Qiu Chuji as instructed. Tap on the bottom right button on the character sheet "Raise Juexue". Tap the "+" to raise Qiu Chuji's Big Dipper Sword a level (or more, up to you, as long as you have the copper coins). You can do the same for all your heroes, but you can only raise 10 juexue points before you run out. Juexue points recharge at one point every five minutes, so after 50 minutes you can distribute all 10 again (or do it one by one every five minutes, up to you). Copper Coins are easy to get, but they do run out fast at higher levels of juexue....

While we are on the character screen, it's worth just running through what those buttons are. First button under the gear boxes is the "breakthrough" button, which absorbs the full set of gear equipped and upgrades your hero (eventually to green then blue border). below that is the star button - collect enough jigsaws and you can evolve your hero to 2 or 3 stars. As you can see from the heroes list, 10 jigsaws get you a 1 star hero, 30 jigsaws a 2 star and 80 jigsaws a 3 star. If you have a 1 star hero, adding 20 jigsaws to total 30 jigsaws will make the hero 2 star, similarly getting an extra 50 to add to your 2star will make it 80 jigsaws for a 3star. The last four buttons at the bottom are "compatibility" (listing out which other heroes will give a compatibility bonus when in the same team), "stats" listing the strength, neili, dexterity, attack, defence etc., "portrait" which shows the portrait (you can tap the portrait to enlarge it to fill your screen so you can screengrab it), and finally, as you've just seen, "Raise Juexue".

From here on you just continue along the way, keep getting gear you need to "breakthrough". Tap on an empty inventory slot, and it'll show you what is supposed to go in there. If you don't have it, tap on the missing item's icon and it'll show you where you can get it, or its component. You can tap on the location in that menu itself and it'll show you the encounter location on the map if you've beaten it before, and you can then farm the item easily. Slowly build your levels and soon enough you'll unlock new locations on the main landscape pic. But that's a story for later, if you've committed enough time to the game and like it!