Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Old movies

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Is it with Brigitte Lin? I watched it but it was boring. But it was sad because it was about a couple who died in the Qin dynasty and finally found each other in moderns times, but had to part as their union caused Chow Yun Fat's GF to commit suicide. I think the message was that romantic love is not the most important thing in the world, and let the past be the past.

Sorry, but who is Leanne Li? The first name that pops into my head is Wong Cho Nam's wife. Is it Lee See Kei?
    Leanne Li is Lau Suet Wah I think, I always thought her name was Leanne. It should be Leanne Liu not Li.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    What do you guys think of the movie rouge with Anita mui and leslie cheung? Always made me sad but a good classic movie.
    I watched it, didn't really liked it, I couldn't get over how unsuited they look for each other. I always found Leslie Cheung really feminine, fist movie I ever remembered him from was Farewell My Concubine so I could never really get that out of my head.

Anita was always more enjoyable when she doesn't have to reign in her reactions. She's as funny as Sandra Ng without being obnoxious.

Did anyone catch the movie with Anita playing a guy and Gigi Leung as her wife? thought that was mad funny.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

I thought they were okay, their love story was very tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I watched it, didn't really liked it, I couldn't get over how unsuited they look for each other. I always found Leslie Cheung really feminine, fist movie I ever remembered him from was Farewell My Concubine so I could never really get that out of my head.
    Hey! I loved Anita and Leslie as a couple! Rouge was one of the first romantic movies that I watched a a kid and actually understood. I thought Anita really hit the mark with the sad, tragic prostitute look. She looked classy yet seductive at times, but not too much that she looked trashy. It was until I rewatched it later on that I realised Patrick Tse on in it.

Speaking of Anita, anyone watched her in that movie with Andy Lau? She was that Manchu princess who became a Japanese spy. Tragic stuff. Very traumatic to watch.

Which movie with Gigi Leung as the wife? I remember Anita in that movie where she played the pervert king with Cecelia Cheung and Sammi Cheng as her consorts.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

ahh I do remember Anita playing the pervert king. She was so funny.

What movie is that she is in with Andy lau? Sounds very interesting.

Patrick Tse was in rouge?

Patrick Tse was in rouge?
    Patrick was one of Anita's customers who paid to touch her leg but she refused to sleep with him no matter how much money he had because she was already with Leslie at the time. In hindsight, 12 Young Master is a mummy's boy who tried but could not stand harsh reality. He had a way back into his old lifestyle but he stuffed up Yu Far's life. He deserves what he got.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

What movie is that she is in with Andy lau? Sounds very interesting.
    Ha! found it! "Kawashima Yoshiko". Here is the wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawashima_Yoshiko_(film)

It is a tragic story as I think at times, she was confused with who she was and where her loyalties lay.
    Cyril Connolly

Which movie with Gigi Leung as the wife? I remember Anita in that movie where she played the pervert king with Cecelia Cheung and Sammi Cheng as her consorts.
    yeah it was sammi not gigi leung. I always thought it was her.

I'm not really into sad romance so I don't enjoy a lot of them.

I have an aversion to Andy Lau so I couldn't enjoy Kawashima Yoshiko, the only film I ever liked him in was House of Flying Dragon's and only the very end part.

Kawashima Yoshiko did make me tear up for, I felt so bad for Anita Mui, her life was just so sad, I watched it not too long ago and knowing how her real life turned out, I teared up again.

So I went and watched Mr Canton and Lady Rose and Justice My Foot, Jacky Chan and Stephen Chow are good pick me ups.

Even if their humour is miles apart.

yeah it was sammi not gigi leung. I always thought it was her.

I'm not really into sad romance so I don't enjoy a lot of them.

I have an aversion to Andy Lau so I couldn't enjoy Kawashima Yoshiko, the only film I ever liked him in was House of Flying Dragon's and only the very end part.

Kawashima Yoshiko did make me tear up for, I felt so bad for Anita Mui, her life was just so sad, I watched it not too long ago and knowing how her real life turned out, I teared up again.

So I went and watched Mr Canton and Lady Rose and Justice My Foot, Jacky Chan and Stephen Chow are good pick me ups.

Even if their humour is miles apart.
    There is a war love story with Anita and Tong Leung Kar Fai that tears me up a lot, but I can't remember the name. Norman Tsui was in it as traitor. Anita had Tony's baby but ended marrying this nice Japanese guy.

I love Stephen and Jackie's old movies with a good balance of comedy and action. For a non-martial artist, Stephen is incredibly flexible. "Justice My Foot" is one of my favs but the "Royal Tramp 1 & 2" drive me to tears of laughter every time I watch it, even though it is a horrible adaptation of Jin Yong's novel.
    Cyril Connolly

Justice my Foot was fun, but I personally preferred Hail the Judge in terms of non-stop laugh-until-you-cry escapism. Apart from the sword-swallowing part, which was typically slapstick, the rest of the movie was actually really really intelligent, and just so over the top. Flirting Scholar is the only other Stephen Chow movie which I love to the same degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Justice my Foot was fun, but I personally preferred Hail the Judge in terms of non-stop laugh-until-you-cry escapism. Apart from the sword-swallowing part, which was typically slapstick, the rest of the movie was actually really really intelligent, and just so over the top. Flirting Scholar is the only other Stephen Chow movie which I love to the same degree.
    "King of Beggars" was pretty fun too with the Hong Qi Gong reference! Hong Lung 18 Palms and Dog Beating Stick was funny! It had great themesong as well.

But in "Hail the Judge", you have to love that verbal saga between Stephen and Lau Shun in the court or the fight between the two madams (Kingdom Yuen and Lo Fun)! You have to understand Cantonese to get the jokes.
    Cyril Connolly

How can I forget Hail the Judge. That was a great movie. I don't know Cantonese but I still found it really funny.

For Stephen Chow I think the funniest scene that cracked me up so much I had to stop because I was in pain was the end of Journey to the West 1. Where he goes back in time over and over again just to being 1 second faster then the last.

How can I forget Hail the Judge. That was a great movie. I don't know Cantonese but I still found it really funny.

For Stephen Chow I think the funniest scene that cracked me up so much I had to stop because I was in pain was the end of Journey to the West 1. Where he goes back in time over and over again just to being 1 second faster then the last.
    The invisibility formation was hilarious as well. Yammie and Karen must have tried so hard to keep a straight face when surrounded by the antics of Stephen and Ng Man Tat.
    Cyril Connolly

That scene was funny, but unfortunately because it didn't really end well the memories are less funny. At the end of JTW I really wanted him to meet up with Karen and Yammie again, and suddenly Athena came out of nowhere and left the old story hanging. Then JTW II's ending was even sadder... utterly classic movies, but they don't come to mind as something I'd rewatch to laugh my head off.

Who remembers the original "All's Well, Ends Well" before all the yearly sequels came out? It was super funny and creative and the endless parodies of other movies (Terminator, Pretty Woman, Misery) were great! Manly Teresa and effeminate Leslie was a fun pair! And they were so close in real life as well. And who can forget Stephen's version of Ram Chiang's signature song in some dialect? I believe Sandra was really bursting out laughing during that scene!

Last edited by charbydis; 07-24-15 at 01:43 AM.
    Cyril Connolly

That scene was funny, but unfortunately because it didn't really end well the memories are less funny. At the end of JTW I really wanted him to meet up with Karen and Yammie again, and suddenly Athena came out of nowhere and left the old story hanging. Then JTW II's ending was even sadder... utterly classic movies, but they don't come to mind as something I'd rewatch to laugh my head off.
    I found watching Part II hard because it was so depressing in the last third of the movie and I was already rooting for Karen from the first part. I don't really like Athena's character but the joke on Brigette Lin with Qin Han and Charlie Chin was creative. But the scenestealer had to be Law Kar Ying's suicide-inducing ramblings and his bad singing was unforgettable.

Last edited by charbydis; 07-24-15 at 01:51 AM.
    Cyril Connolly

I found watching Part II hard because it was so depressing in the last third of the movie and I was already rooting for Karen from the first part. I don't really like Athena's character but the joke on Brigette Lin with Qin Han and Charlie Chin was creative. But the scenestealer had to be Law Kar Ying's suicide-inducing ramblings and his bad singing was unforgettable.
    Same here - I kept waiting for Karen to reappear and reunite with Stephen, but she was just written out of the script like that. I love Athena Chu, but it was annoying when she kept appearing at the beginning when I was waiting for Stephen to find Karen, and then about halfway through I had to resign myself that JTW 1 was just a dream, and Karen wasn't coming back.

The ending scene was really sad, though. JTW 2 is the sort of movie which I'd watch again if I wanted to cry, not if I wanted to laugh. It was just so cruel, after all the fun and laughs of JTW 1. But yes, Law Kar Ying's suicide-inducing ramblings were hilarious, but the man himself is just hilarious when he plays the deadpan kind of characters. I loved him especially in The Chinese Feast.

And the scene you mentioned between Stephen and Lau Shun in Hail the Judge - I tried reciting those lines so many times but just could not do it no matter how many times I tried. Same with his exchange with Kingdom Yuen.

But Karen did come back in the middle of part 2. However Stephen had already subconsciously fallen in love with Athena so Karen dumped him on the wedding day. But then she ended being married to Ng Man Tat.

BTW, Kingdom Yuen vs Lo Fun vs Stephen Chow!

Last edited by charbydis; 07-24-15 at 01:47 AM.

前And the scene you mentioned between Stephen and Lau Shun in Hail the Judge - I tried reciting those lines so many times but just could not do it no matter how many times I tried. Same with his exchange with Kingdom Yuen.
    Cyril Connolly

Ah I also like Stephan's earlier work. Hail to the judge is one of my favorite so funny. A very good cast too, I like Christy chung. Agree the end of Chinese odyssey was sad. Feel bad for Karen. I also like his fight back to school series. There was one scene he was eating ramen with his feet =) I thought god of gambler series were funny as well.

But Karen did come back in the middle of part 2. However Stephen had already subconsciously fallen in love with Athena so Karen dumped him on the wedding day. But then she ended being married to Ng Man Tat.
    Ya, it was a very unsatisfying end to a really cute relationship. Athena should never have had a chance to win Stephen's heart if Karen and Stephen hadn't been split apart for so long....