Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Old movies

Speaking of Tu Lung and David Chiang, "The Blood Brothers" is still once of my favourite old movies. I think it was quite ahead of its time, choosing to dedicate a lot of time to the main villain and exploring why two people had an affair. I like it that instead portraying Ma Xinyi and Mi Lan as cliche evil shameless adulterers, they actually showed how good people gradually succumbed to their desires/flaw and how a perfectly good brotherhood fell apart because of different ambitions. It was very tragic since none of the four characters really meant for it to end up this way.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

That would be something to see. But with the media state now days there will be a lot of negativity for daring to portray adulterous in a positive light.

David Chiang is super cute. He would have been my big screen crush is I lived during his prime.

I can't remember the name of it but there was a film he was in that the main girl was a bad omen and would cause the death of all four of her husbands before she met the main guy. David was husband number 2. All their ghost still hangs around her. I found it quiet funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I can't remember the name of it but there was a film he was in that the main girl was a bad omen and would cause the death of all four of her husbands before she met the main guy. David was husband number 2. All their ghost still hangs around her. I found it quite funny.
    "Til death so we scare"? With Alan Tam? Had a ghost/vampire ball?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Sounds like Till Death do we Scare.. I think he was husband number 1, though. Big Mouth was 2, and had actually (unsuccessfully) murdered David to be able to win Olivia, but David still died entirely through accident. Big Mouth dies at his wedding with Olivia as he laughs so loud a bird flew into his mouth and he choked to death. Raymond Wong, the priest who presided over the wedding, comforted Olivia and became husband number 3, but died of fright when David and Big Mouth scared him to death. I can't remember who the fourth ghost was...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Sounds like Till Death do we Scare.. I think he was husband number 1, though. Big Mouth was 2, and had actually (unsuccessfully) murdered David to be able to win Olivia, but David still died entirely through accident. Big Mouth dies at his wedding with Olivia as he laughs so loud a bird flew into his mouth and he choked to death. Raymond Wong, the priest who presided over the wedding, comforted Olivia and became husband number 3, but died of fright when David and Big Mouth scared him to death. I can't remember who the fourth ghost was...
    I think Olivia Cheng only had 3 ghost husband. Forth husband was Alan Tam.
    Cyril Connolly

Do you guys happen to know a movie with simon yam playing the villain. I think Leon Lai was in it too, he played an assassin or something, pretty young there. I think Carrie Ng and Monica Chan was also in it. But I don't really remember what the movie is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Do you guys happen to know a movie with simon yam playing the villain. I think Leon Lai was in it too, he played an assassin or something, pretty young there. I think Carrie Ng and Monica Chan was also in it. But I don't really remember what the movie is about.
    That is "Gun N' Rose". It is about some Taiwanese triad brothers with Alan Tang as the big brother. Simon Yam, I think is the 2nd brother who gets jealous of Alan who was adopted as Simon's dad indirectly caused his whole family to be killed. Simon gets a bunch of killers to shoot Alan on his wedding day and forces him to go into hiding in HK.

Andy is a HK low-life gangster who befriends Alan. Andy's sister, Carrie, has the hots for Alan, who is solely devoted to his paraplegic wife, Monica, who was been shot in the spine during the wedding. Then Simon send Leon, his killer, after Alan in HK, and Monica kills herself so Alan will have no second thoughts about taking revenge since Simon won't leave Alan alone. Then everyone hops over to Taiwan to kill Simon and his hundred henchman.

Great movie.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    That is "Gun N' Rose". It is about some Taiwanese triad brothers with Alan Tang as the big brother. Simon Yam, I think is the 2nd brother who gets jealous of Alan who was adopted as Simon's dad indirectly caused his whole family to be killed. Simon gets a bunch of killers to shoot Alan on his wedding day and forces him to go into hiding in HK.

Andy is a HK low-life gangster who befriends Alan. Andy's sister, Carrie, has the hots for Alan, who is solely devoted to his paraplegic wife, Monica, who was been shot in the spine during the wedding. Then Simon send Leon, his killer, after Alan in HK, and Monica kills herself so Alan will have no second thoughts about taking revenge since Simon won't leave Alan alone. Then everyone hops over to Taiwan to kill Simon and his hundred henchman.

Great movie.
    That movie had an insane cast, and I remember it quite well. Great movie!

Speaking of old HK movies, I recently rewatched From Beijing with Love and it gave me a pretty good laugh. Its kinda random, but I saw it on youtube and just decided to watch it. Anita Yuen and Steven Chow is just comic gold. Its been awhile since I actually laughed out loud on an HK movies. I really miss that feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    That movie had an insane cast, and I remember it quite well. Great movie!
    I keep remembering Monica getting shot in her wedding dress. She looked so beautiful and surprisingly, she matched will with Alan who was much older.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    Speaking of old HK movies, I recently rewatched From Beijing with Love and it gave me a pretty good laugh. Its kinda random, but I saw it on youtube and just decided to watch it. Anita Yuen and Steven Chow is just comic gold. Its been awhile since I actually laughed out loud on an HK movies. I really miss that feeling.
    I actually prefer "Forbidden City Cop" which had some crazy classic moments and it had great martial arts choreography as well.
    Cyril Connolly

On youtube I noticed a 720p HD of Kung Fu Cult Master/Evil cult with Jet li. This is now on Bluray?? The youtube version I ran into was by far the highest quality I seen of the film. You can see it here, make sure its on 720p on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zSPhLN4sxU
    Journey To The West

The Great Sun Wukong, the Monkey King!!!

I actually prefer "Forbidden City Cop" which had some crazy classic moments and it had great martial arts choreography as well.
    Ive definitely seen that but it has been awhile. I think I am gonna go watch it. Any other old movies recommendations are welcomed

Great movie.
    Thanks, will watch it later, been looking for it. I do remember it having a very big cast. I don't recall Andy being in it. Speaking of Alan Tang, I remember him in Blank Panther warriors. That had a very good cast and was very funny. Is he retire now? He used to be in a lot of action movies.

Thanks, will watch it later, been looking for it. I do remember it having a very big cast. I don't recall Andy being in it. Speaking of Alan Tang, I remember him in Blank Panther warriors. That had a very good cast and was very funny. Is he retire now? He used to be in a lot of action movies.
    I think Alan passed away a few years ago.

I thought Blank Panther Warriors was another of those crazy movies but worked because of the great cast. In truth, I thought Yuen Wah looked embarrassing in his villain clothes and the story was weak but the martial arts choreography and the artistes were top-notch. I cracked up whenever Big Tony Leung went bonkers as Brigitte Lin spoke Mandarin. And the whole movie was one big fashion show for Brigette who had amazing outfits.

Another crazy movie that worked well was the "The Flying Daggers" with Big Tong Leung, Jimmy Lin, Sharla Cheung, Gloria Yip, Jacky Cheung, Maggie Cheung, Ng Man Tat .... It was crazily funny and it still gives me a lot of laughs when I rewatch it. Especially the scene when they tried to kill the unkillable guy by grossing him out.
    Cyril Connolly

I think Alan passed away a few years ago.

I thought Blank Panther Warriors was another of those crazy movies but worked because of the great cast. In truth, I thought Yuen Wah looked embarrassing in his villain clothes and the story was weak but the martial arts choreography and the artistes were top-notch. I cracked up whenever Big Tony Leung went bonkers as Brigitte Lin spoke Mandarin. And the whole movie was one big fashion show for Brigette who had amazing outfits.

Another crazy movie that worked well was the "The Flying Daggers" with Big Tong Leung, Jimmy Lin, Sharla Cheung, Gloria Yip, Jacky Cheung, Maggie Cheung, Ng Man Tat .... It was crazily funny and it still gives me a lot of laughs when I rewatch it. Especially the scene when they tried to kill the unkillable guy by grossing him out.
    There was another movie like that, very big cast, Adam Cheng, Bridgette Lin, Jackie Chan (He was really young here). I dont' remember what it was about, I think everyone dies at the end except for Jackie Chan. Forgot the name sorry. But yeh I thought Blank Panther Warrior was funny and I really like the cast.

Ah I remember "The Flying Daggers" I think Jacky and Maggie were the funniest. Their house had an old fashion security camera but it was just a guy in the background drawing everything that was happening inside their house. I thought it was funny when Maggie was like asking what happen to Jacky at the house and is handed of a picture of Jacky getting capture. Very hilarious...

Any other old movies like that??

I had a lot of fun watching "The Lucky Stars" series of films with Sammo Hung, Eric Tsang, Michael Miu, Ng Yiu Hon, etc... It had a good balance of comedy and action. They first three were great and then the following were cheap copies with recycled jokes.
    Cyril Connolly

ahh will look for it... thanks...
    I wanted to ask you if you remember an action movie I cannot remember who stars in it. I think the wife was a cop and she fights really good. The husband cheats on her. I think they had a son together. But I just remember that in the end, the children are held hostage at the sons elementary school. The cheating husband gets cripple by the bad guys at the end. I think it was a comedy.

ahh will look for it... thanks...
    I wanted to ask you if you remember an action movie I cannot remember who stars in it. I think the wife was a cop and she fights really good. The husband cheats on her. I think they had a son together. But I just remember that in the end, the children are held hostage at the sons elementary school. The cheating husband gets cripple by the bad guys at the end. I think it was a comedy.
    I actually don't know. But there is a school hostage scene in inspector wears skirts 4 where sandra ng's son get held hostage and the female fighters have to go in and kill all the baddies. There was a great kick fight with moon lee and Cynthia khan.

that looks like an interesting movie, will watch it later. Thanks =)