Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous old ATV/TVB series

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    She was one Simon's wife in some series with him being Zhu Yuan Zhang. She was evil too, I think.
    Born to be a King or 大明群英. She wasn't evil, but she loved Chen Youliang, played by Lau Ching Wan. Zhu also fancied her, but Zhu was just a peasant while Chen was educated, charming and wooed her quite successfully. When Chen Youliang's army was defeated by Zhu Yuanzhang's, Zhu, with whom Chen had a mutual hatred, killed Chen before her eyes, and took her as a concubine. Her hatred for him never died, even when he had founded the Ming Dynasty and she had raised her son (conceived with Zhu) to kill him, lying to the boy that his father was Chen Youliang. In the end I think both mother and son die in a failed assassination attempt on Zhu Yuanzhang's life.

Which one was Jojo's version? Is it the one with Eddie Cheung? I actually quite like Jojo. She might not be very beautiful but she has her own charisma on screen and is very versatile and talented. Glad that she is doing well now.
    Jojo was very charming - her Cantonese had a very nice accent to it and made her very memorable. She was also pretty enough. She was Hung Fat Lui in Eddie Cheung's version, paired with Tam Yiu Man as Li Cheng, and Dominic Lam as Kau Yim Hak. I personally felt that Dominic's Kau Yim Hak was more suitably rugged than Tony's, actually. Eddie played Li Shimin, and that was a very good cast and series. The only downer for me was when Mariane Chan died early on when she was looking so good as the female lead. Dominic's second love (Eddie's younger sister) failed to compare with Mariane in every department, although she was supposed to be a very young immature schoolgirl. No idea what her name is either, but she had shoes that were too big for her to fill.

Here's the opening (only half, for some reason), and you can get a good feel for Jojo (and Mariane) here ...

http://v.pps.tv/play_31Z96T.html
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 07-25-15 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Born to be a King or 大明群英. She wasn't evil, but she loved Chen Youliang, played by Lau Ching Wan. Zhu also fancied her, but Zhu was just a peasant while Chen was educated, charming and wooed her quite successfully. When Chen Youliang's army was defeated by Zhu Yuanzhang's, Zhu, with whom Chen had a mutual hatred, killed Chen before her eyes, and took her as a concubine. Her hatred for him never died, even when he had founded the Ming Dynasty and she had raised her son (conceived with Zhu) to kill him, lying to the boy that his father was Chen Youliang. In the end I think both mother and son die in a failed assassination attempt on Zhu Yuanzhang's life.
    Thanks for the summary. That sounds cool. I must find it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Jojo was very charming - her Cantonese had a very nice accent to it and made her very memorable. She was also pretty enough. She was Hung Fat Lui in Eddie Cheung's version, paired with Tam Yiu Man as Li Cheng, and Dominic Lam as Kau Yim Hak. I personally felt that Dominic's Kau Yim Hak was more suitably rugged than Tony's, actually. Eddie played Li Shimin, and that was a very good cast and series. The only downer for me was when Mariane Chan died early on when she was looking so good as the female lead. Dominic's second love (Eddie's younger sister) failed to compare with Marianne in every department, although she was supposed to be a very young immature schoolgirl. No idea what her name is either, but she had shoes that were too big for her to fill.
    Thanks. I agree that Tony was not really suited to played the rugged Kau Yim Hak. He doesn't have that manly mature look and he looked still quite young despite the beard. Dominic looks much better and his voice and general body language fits with a seasoned and commanding martial artist. But I don't remember watching this series. I remember watching a bit of it in the Eddie Cheung forum.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Thanks for the summary. That sounds cool. I must find it again.
    The opening theme to "Born to be a King". Simon really played the paranoid, insane, sadistic king well...

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTg0ODMxOTYw.html

I think isn't ATV or TVB but CTV
    did someone remember this serie with Adam Cheng and Angie Liu?

I just found vhs LOL I will rewatch it when I got more time...too much serie now and no time =.=;

Was searching for old series and happen to come upon this one. Does anyone remember this series? Saw it long time ago. Just watch a few episodes today since Noel is in this series =) Louis Koo has light skin here

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll173/yellowsoysauce/Against-the-blade-of-honour_zpspbajvt7u.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Was searching for old series and happen to come upon this one. Does anyone remember this series? Saw it long time ago. Just watch a few episodes today since Noel is in this series =) Louis Koo has light skin here

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll173/yellowsoysauce/Against-the-blade-of-honour_zpspbajvt7u.jpg')
    Grrrr. One of the most frustrating series to get through since I hate the main character! And the ending is ....
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Grrrr. One of the most frustrating series to get through since I hate the main character! And the ending is ....
    Yes - absolutely depressing series, and Ding Pang was completely unlikeable once he got his blade. The way he manipulated people was just annoying (like, why on earth does he need to?). Ending was really depressing, but probably no more than Ding Pang deserved.

Only redeeming feature was a really nice opening theme.

I like Louis a lot more in Hitman Chronicles.

Have to agree with you guys, this series was quite sad. As to why he manipulated people, I guess it says the sword makes people Evil and selfish. I thought it was sad that he married the other girl even though he did not love her. In some ways I felt bad for Irene Wan's character since she really loved ding pang. But she betray him first, yet she keeps bringing up the fact that he hurt and used her.

=.=;; I never understand the end from this serie...who win? Depressing yes. I remember after ROCH with Louis Koo I was pray that Louis can act with my favorite actress Noel/Vivian...when this serie was out..I told my parent to rent it because it's Louis Koo and Noel omg....
    I was sooooo shipping hard for Noel until Louis know he was already in love with his wife and doesn't love anymore with Irene...
    They live together and have a son...but ''tears'' she decide to sacrifice for calming the sword...his mostly love person was Noel...
    and =.= why also the book isn't said nothing about who win =.=;;;
    Last edited by Miaka FY; 07-27-15 at 10:42 AM.

I think as a kid I naturally sided with the good girl Noel, but when I saw it again like 10+ years ago I realized what a hottie Irene Wan was. She looks almost as good 20 years later.

One random scene I remember is when the guy Lau goes to find out information from Bai Xiao Sheng (of Dagger Li's Book of Weapons) about the sabre and they give homage to Li's Dagger, Third Master's Sword, and some others. I thought it was really neat at the time since I just watched Dagger Li...and all of them combined was not equal to the sabre! Yeah, it's not canon or correct, but stuff like that makes kids wide eyed.
    Last edited by tape; 07-27-15 at 12:48 PM.

I always did wonder who won? I would think Louis wins because he has the blade. But then again, Irene look like she was stronger even without the blade and just use a sword.

I like both actresses and feel bad for both Noel and Irene in this series. Is Irene still acting anymore?

Always did wonder who the princess tin ming (iwanbeo leung) like. Why did she have an affair with (wan wei) tse yiu fung character.

I like both actresses and feel bad for both Noel and Irene in this series. Is Irene still acting anymore?

Always did wonder who the princess tin ming (iwanbeo leung) like. Why did she have an affair with (wan wei) tse yiu fung character.
    Because Tse Hiu Fung seduced her! And she was not in love with her fiance (Noel's dad).

Irene is still acting but in movies.
    Cyril Connolly

Because Tse Hiu Fung seduced her! And she was not in love with her fiance (Noel's dad).

Irene is still acting but in movies.
    Her screen time was too short so I couldn't figure out how she really felt. It seem like she died for Noel's dad so I thought maybe she liked him more. I do know both guys loved her.

Is Irene acting in movies in hong kong or china?

I always did wonder who won? I would think Louis wins because he has the blade. But then again, Irene look like she was stronger even without the blade and just use a sword.

Wasn't the final duel between Louis and Noel's dad? Like they fought for so long they disappeared and were never seen again or something? I don't remember much of the plot except the beginning, since the beginnings are usually the same in all the versions.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Wasn't the final duel between Louis and Noel's dad? Like they fought for so long they disappeared and were never seen again or something? I don't remember much of the plot except the beginning, since the beginnings are usually the same in all the versions.
    hm...it's true it's Louis and Noel's father who was fighting at the end...Irene did love ''her husband'' but finally she turn to madly in love with Louis and studie martial art and become so good. she went to fight with Louis and finally die...I think she wanna hurt Noel....
    wow Louis was playboy ..3 girls ...hm at the end...truly love Noel.

I think the ending was that Louis became so obsessed with becoming the top fighter in the world and sacrificed everything he had to obtain it. Then Noel's dad came out and challenged him to a death duel. But Noel used her life to let Louis know that it was not worth it and got killed by Louis as she ambushed him while masked. Then Louis finally understood that there were some things which were more important than becoming the pugilistic champion. He was pretty zen by the time when he met Noel's dad, and neither of them was seen again since then. So I guess they both died.

The beginning was actually quite interesting. It is the second half after Ding Pang gains fame where the plot got downhill because he becomes the world's greatest jerk.

Her screen time was too short so I couldn't figure out how she really felt. It seem like she died for Noel's dad so I thought maybe she liked him more. I do know both guys loved her.
    I think with the Princess (I think her name was Tin Oi?), she was bound by duty due to her betrothal with Noel's dad as well as their sect even though she is not a fighter. But she loves Tse Hiu Fung because she is more his type and she disagrees the ambition of Noel's dad. But she died as she knew she that she did wrong by her fiance and her sect.

Is Irene acting in movies in hong kong or china?
    She initially did series in china, then moved back to movies in Hong Kong. She still great for her age but I think she may have something done to her face.
    Last edited by charbydis; 07-28-15 at 07:09 PM.
    Cyril Connolly

I remember a scene where he goes berserk and kills everyone at some gathering because Noel died (I think). If he killed her, why did he go berserk on them? Was it their fault somehow?

I think Irene Wan definitely did something like botox to her face, but I'm thinking she probably had some minor lifts done to her body as well. From the pics I've seen, her body looks even better than when she was young. Or maybe she just shows more of it now

I remember a scene where he goes berserk and kills everyone at some gathering because Noel died (I think). If he killed her, why did he go berserk on them? Was it their fault somehow?
    Is that the scene where she gets blinded because it was revealed that she was the daughter of the leader of the Evil Sect?
    Cyril Connolly

wait when Noel was die, Louis didn't kill anyone after...isn't because the sword need the blood from the person he love the most to calm down the power from the sword? Irene still acting o.o I remember she was more older than Noel when she was in this serie o.o

Do you all remember this serie? Crimson Sabre? I remember the rating wasn't good but I find Gordon did good his job, ok the one annoying girl is Sarah was there...but am I the only one who like her better than Charmaine o.O

This version and the mainland version...I think the mainland version was better hm
    isn't Gordon who sing the themes song?

Quote Originally Posted by Miaka FY View Post
    wait when Noel was die, Louis didn't kill anyone after...isn't because the sword need the blood from the person he love the most to calm down the power from the sword? Irene still acting o.o I remember she was more older than Noel when she was in this serie o.o
    Noel got blinded more than halfway through the series when Louis went to marry the other girl. She got killed the last episode before her dad came out and challenged Louis. It was after years of living in seclusion but Louis was being dragged back out into the wulin affairs.

Irene is a few years older than Noel but she started acting at 15 so it gives the impression that she is older.
    Cyril Connolly