Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous old ATV/TVB series

Quote Originally Posted by Miaka FY View Post
    wait when Noel was die, Louis didn't kill anyone after...isn't because the sword need the blood from the person he love the most to calm down the power from the sword? Irene still acting o.o I remember she was more older than Noel when she was in this serie o.o

Do you all remember this serie? Crimson Sabre? I remember the rating wasn't good but I find Gordon did good his job, ok the one annoying girl is Sarah was there...but am I the only one who like her better than Charmaine o.O

This version and the mainland version...I think the mainland version was better hm
    isn't Gordon who sing the themes song?
    This series was super boring for me so I never finished it. I do know the theme song was sang by Hacken Lee though.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Is that the scene where she gets blinded because it was revealed that she was the daughter of the leader of the Evil Sect?
    I have no idea, but I remember that his sword was placed on the altar in the middle of the room and it was supposed to be a nice, joyous occasion, but then he jumps up there and grabs the sabre and everyone is like "OH @#*)(#@" and he kills everyone.

Afterwards, it might have skipped to years later where he's zen and peaceful and had altars for everyone he's killed, making me think it was right near the last episode, but I really don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    This series was super boring for me so I never finished it. I do know the theme song was sang by Hacken Lee though.
    it's was Hacken o.O i though is Gordon voice omg ...hm boring well I did like the plot story..but isn't well adapted from TVB and well done from mainland
    btw did you watch the mainland version it's better !!!
    off topic

I have no idea, but I remember that his sword was placed on the altar in the middle of the room and it was supposed to be a nice, joyous occasion, but then he jumps up there and grabs the sabre and everyone is like "OH @#*)(#@" and he kills everyone.

Afterwards, it might have skipped to years later where he's zen and peaceful and had altars for everyone he's killed, making me think it was right near the last episode, but I really don't remember.
    I think it may be his wedding day to Tse Siu Yuk. Noel turns up to stop the wedding but gets blinded. I can't remember much.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I think it may be his wedding day to Tse Siu Yuk. Noel turns up to stop the wedding but gets blinded. I can't remember much.
    Who wound up blinding her? And why? I don't remember her having any enemies.

It wasn't great as an adaptation, but as a wuxia serial it was fairly entertaining. By the time it came out we were getting one Canto wuxia a year, maybe less, so we couldn't be too choosy, I guess.

Crimson Sabre has always been a rather weak wuxia story, though - Yuan Chengzhi is pretty much undefeatable at the start of the serial once he leaves Huashan at the start. It's like a case of his father sowing and he reaping all the benefits - in fact until he got too cocky and tried to assassinate Abahai by himself I don't think he actually got beaten. Even the Bobby Dou version, which was really entertaining, suffered from the same "invincible protagonist" problem, and it was more a case of how you could trick him into fighting the wrong person rather than actually beat him.

This version had Xia Xueyi survive the early torture by He Hongyao, and Wen Yi's younger sister eventually pairs up with him. It was fun in a way, to see more of Kong Wah and Melissa, while as mentioned, Sarah was annoying, but much better than Charmaine. Charmaine did really well as the scheming princess - my two favourite roles of hers are this one and Zhou Zhiruo from HSDS 2000. She's REALLY good at doing the scheming role, I don't see why TVB had to give her all those one-dimensional too-good-to-be-true virtuous roles which defined much of her boring career.

The CCTV version was much better, of course, but TVB's effort was certainly entertaining, and I MUCH prefer Canto so my choices are limited anyway.

Charmaine as ZZR was one of the roles I hated her most in! I just think she's not very good in a wuxia context.

I definitely did not watch all of Crimson Sabre, but I thought she was completely overshadowed in HSDS 2000, and her annoying character in Flying Fox didn't help.

I'm not sure if it's in wuxia context or acting context, but I much prefer the HSDS '86 version of ZZR.

They are old enemies of her dad the sect they belonged to. The two sides used to battle a lot for years until the peace talk happened, and then Tse Hiu Fung slept with Noel dad's fiance and then the good side tricked them, and massacred the whole sect.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    It wasn't great as an adaptation, but as a wuxia serial it was fairly entertaining. By the time it came out we were getting one Canto wuxia a year, maybe less, so we couldn't be too choosy, I guess.

Crimson Sabre has always been a rather weak wuxia story, though - Yuan Chengzhi is pretty much undefeatable at the start of the serial once he leaves Huashan at the start. It's like a case of his father sowing and he reaping all the benefits - in fact until he got too cocky and tried to assassinate Abahai by himself I don't think he actually got beaten. Even the Bobby Dou version, which was really entertaining, suffered from the same "invincible protagonist" problem, and it was more a case of how you could trick him into fighting the wrong person rather than actually beat him.

This version had Xia Xueyi survive the early torture by He Hongyao, and Wen Yi's younger sister eventually pairs up with him. It was fun in a way, to see more of Kong Wah and Melissa, while as mentioned, Sarah was annoying, but much better than Charmaine. Charmaine did really well as the scheming princess - my two favourite roles of hers are this one and Zhou Zhiruo from HSDS 2000. She's REALLY good at doing the scheming role, I don't see why TVB had to give her all those one-dimensional too-good-to-be-true virtuous roles which defined much of her boring career.

The CCTV version was much better, of course, but TVB's effort was certainly entertaining, and I MUCH prefer Canto so my choices are limited anyway.
    The whole story from Jin Yong is really good but do we have a good adaptation from this novel? The best I saw is the mainland version. Isn't a same year that TVB was also banning to use any Jin Yong novel? I think yes...or not far from...

well maybe it,s because Charmaine acting was too much alike from Zhou Zhirou...her expression shy and well everything.. and also with her acting from Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain....I like her in Perish in the name of love and can't buy me love

I think the ending was that Louis became so obsessed with becoming the top fighter in the world and sacrificed everything he had to obtain it. Then Noel's dad came out and challenged him to a death duel. But Noel used her life to let Louis know that it was not worth it and got killed by Louis as she ambushed him while masked. Then Louis finally understood that there were some things which were more important than becoming the pugilistic champion. He was pretty zen by the time when he met Noel's dad, and neither of them was seen again since then. So I guess they both died.

The beginning was actually quite interesting. It is the second half after Ding Pang gains fame where the plot got downhill because he becomes the world's greatest jerk.

I think with the Princess (I think her name was Tin Oi?), she was bound by duty due to her betrothal with Noel's dad as well as their sect even though she is not a fighter. But she loves Tse Hiu Fung because she is more his type and she disagrees the ambition of Noel's dad. But she died as she knew she that she did wrong by her fiance and her sect.

She initially did series in china, then moved back to movies in Hong Kong. She still great for her age but I think she may have something done to her face.
    I have to agree that the beginning was good and interesting. It got boring for me after he already got his revenge and now he wants to challenge somebody else. I have to agree with you that he just becomes a major jerk. But I guess he wants to be the top fighter to fulfill his dad's dying wish.

I remember a scene where he goes berserk and kills everyone at some gathering because Noel died (I think). If he killed her, why did he go berserk on them? Was it their fault somehow?

I think Irene Wan definitely did something like botox to her face, but I'm thinking she probably had some minor lifts done to her body as well. From the pics I've seen, her body looks even better than when she was young. Or maybe she just shows more of it now
    I think your talking about when Eddie Tricks Louis into thinking Noel died. He told Louis that all those ppl from the good sect killed her as she was begging them to spare Louis. He said that those ppl didn't even let go of a blind girl. That's when Louis turns mad, I think he breaks out of jail ( cannot remember) and kills everyone. So I think Eddie finally got his revenge he's been seeking at the end.

I think this is Eddie's most evil role, but I do pity him because he did say that he just wanted to provide Irene with the best and that he loved her.

She was blind by ging mo ming (mickey he? character, can't recall his name) by accident. I forgot why he was going mad but everytime he hears love poems he goes mad. Eddie used that to his advantage and so he accidently blinds noel.

I never really finish watching crimson sabre either. Did enjoy the Melissa and Kwong wah pairing thou. Felt kind of bad for Emily's character here but she did a really good job here.

Do you guys remember this series? "I can't accept corruption" with Louis koo, Timmy Ho, Fennie yuan, eddie Cheung
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll173/yellowsoysauce/050E000052D89385675839078C0A24AA_zpswpudalgl.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I never really finish watching crimson sabre either. Did enjoy the Melissa and Kwong wah pairing thou. Felt kind of bad for Emily's character here but she did a really good job here.

Do you guys remember this series? "I can't accept corruption" with Louis koo, Timmy Ho, Fennie yuan, eddie Cheung
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll173/yellowsoysauce/050E000052D89385675839078C0A24AA_zpswpudalgl.jpg')

I just watched it a few months ago. It is a pretty fast-paced series and I liked the pairing of Eddie and Monica. They looked good together, especially in scenes when it involved her father. They were very sweet together. Fennie and Louis were fun in their undercover roles but nothing really outstanding. I really could not stand Cheung Yuk San's bad acting. Did not feel anything for her at all but felt bad for Timmy.
    Cyril Connolly

I like the cast =) Don't really see Cheung Yuk San much, just here, 7 sisters, and a tough side of a lady. I get her confuse with the girl who play tse siu yuk in against the blade of honour.

Anyhow, I think Eddie and Monica are cute, cute when eddie thought monica was taken, and also when monica saw eddie with Iwanabeo.

I like the cast =) Don't really see Cheung Yuk San much, just here, 7 sisters, and a tough side of a lady. I get her confuse with the girl who play tse siu yuk in against the blade of honour.

Anyhow, I think Eddie and Monica are cute, cute when eddie thought monica was taken, and also when monica saw eddie with Iwanabeo.
    Anyway, Cheung Yuk San may be a good businesswoman but she is a very very bad actress. Her best role was in "Game of Deceit" as a manipulative woman but even that performance was soso.

Eddie and Monica look great as a couple. I am glad that the series ended up with a nice wedding scene! I got a bit irked when Iwanabeo (any origins to this strange name) and Kenneth started to get in the way.
    Cyril Connolly

Anyway, Cheung Yuk San may be a good businesswoman but she is a very very bad actress. Her best role was in "Game of Deceit" as a manipulative woman but even that performance was soso.

Eddie and Monica look great as a couple. I am glad that the series ended up with a nice wedding scene! I got a bit irked when Iwanabeo (any origins to this strange name) and Kenneth started to get in the way.
    wow seems like everyone is going into business. But I feel bad for her character "Ivy." Timmy's acting here reminds me of his role as lam ping chi (State of divinity), another tragic character. I was surprise to see strawberry yeung here. Sad she was lead with atv and seems to always play a bad guy in tvb series.

I thought Kenneth did a good job, very surprising since I initially thought he just came back to hong kong to win back Monica.

Now that you mention it, I do remember her in Game of Deceit. I do not remember why she turns bad, I know she was in love with Jessica's character when she was disguise as a guy. But I agree that is one of her better roles, seems like it just gets smaller and smaller. didn't like her role as much in seven sisters.

wow seems like everyone is going into business. But I feel bad for her character "Ivy." Timmy's acting here reminds me of his role as lam ping chi (State of divinity), another tragic character. I was surprise to see strawberry yeung here. Sad she was lead with atv and seems to always play a bad guy in tvb series.
    TVB's strategy then was to first grab all of ATV's talents and lock them in under contract to kill ATV off. TVB had most of ATV's potential leads under their umbrella but would rather pay them a minimum wage with minor roles than to promote them. I am still quite angry with TVB over that. I thought it was karma when HKTV poached their artists.

I thought Kenneth did a good job, very surprising since I initially thought he just came back to hong kong to win back Monica.
    Yeah. Kenneth is good actor. He never stands out as a superb actor but he is very natural and subtle with his acting. I quite like Kenneth but he wants to sing instead of acting now. My favourite role of Kenneth's is from "Time Before Time".

Now that you mention it, I do remember her in Game of Deceit. I do not remember why she turns bad, I know she was in love with Jessica's character when she was disguise as a guy. But I agree that is one of her better roles, seems like it just gets smaller and smaller. didn't like her role as much in seven sisters.
    I think she was confused at hurt because she truly loved Jessica yet they lied to her since young that she was a man. And think they were indirectly linked with her family's downfall. So she wanted revenge by using their kindness and guilt against them. But eventually she let go after realising that she truly love and care for Jessica, whether male or female, and that she should not do anything to just the one she loves. She redeemed herself in the end as she lost her virginity to Wo San to save Nick and Jessica and she got her own happy but open ending.
    Cyril Connolly

I like Kenneth in My date with a vampire. He is a singer? I did not know.

In ICAC, I actually thought Ivy's (cheung yuk san) childhood friend will be the main villain since he is always plays a bad guy or one of the bigger viliians. So it was surprising that Kenneth was the villain.

I had no idea tvb was grabbing all of atv's potential leads and locking them in with a contract back then. I just notice I started seeing more and more of them on tvb. Aside from strawberry yeung, I remember is her name jay lau kam ling had lead roles with atv and she had minor roles or play a villain. But then you have kwong wah and esther kwan who did well with tvb I guess.

I like Kenneth in My date with a vampire. He is a singer? I did not know.
    Kenneth Chan sang half the opening duet theme and the solo subtheme for MDWAV 3, and also sang the subtheme for MDWAV 2.