Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous old ATV/TVB series

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Kenneth Chan sang half the opening duet theme and the solo subtheme for MDWAV 3, and also sang the subtheme for MDWAV 2.
    Brings back the memories when ATV was actually making history.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Aside from strawberry yeung, I remember is her name jay lau kam ling had lead roles with atv and she had minor roles or play a villain. But then you have kwong wah and esther kwan who did well with tvb I guess.
    I think real really talented ones who already were building up some fame like Esther, Kwong Wah and Jackie Lui were really promoted. Nick Cheung was also one who stood out with his acting. I think TVB gave the rest of ex-ATV artistes some chances in supporting roles to test the audience's response.

Jan Lau played Ah Chu in DGSD 96 as well as some other roles but people didn't really like her even though she could really act. She also had some other stuff happening in her personal life at the time which was very sad and distracting. Strawberry played the 2nd female lead in the kungfu series with Yuen Wah and Marianne Chan but again, people didn't like her. Annie Man had a good run for a while, then her roles got less and less and TVB started to promote their own. Same with Sunny Chan until he got stuck in stupid brainless roles. Christine Ng was neither here or there with her roles but she doesn't really care since she doesn't need to earn a living. Gilbert and Lawrence were shoved to the side at the beginning - never had the chance. Mark Kwok Yiu Ming got some villains roles but that was it, except for his one-off big break as 2nd lead.

Raymond Wong, Ruco Chan and Stephen Au hung around TVB for years before getting promoted as 1st lead after people were sick of watching TVB's own siu sangs all the time. Alice Chan joined in the recent years but only has some minor roles which is bad since she is really 1st lead material. Joey is doing fine in TVB and she still has a strong fan base from her MDWAV days.
    Last edited by charbydis; 08-08-15 at 09:43 AM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I think Ah chu was lau kam ling's best role or most likable role with tvb. She had a very minor role in forensic heros. I think she was very evil in perish in the name of love and witness to prosecution 2. But it shows she can act in any role. Not sure why people do not like her.

As for Sunny Chan, you are right about the mindless roles, but he was very good in ghost writer portraying both good and evil.

I do remember Raymond Wong and Ruco Chan playing very minor roles and now they are lead. I don't recall Stephen Au in much TVB series except for witness to prosecution 2, angel of mission, and strike at heart.

Glad to hear Joey Meng is doing well, I thought Alice was doing good with tvb.

Kenneth Chan is quite a good singer =)

I think Christine Ng is good too.

I think Ah chu was lau kam ling's best role or most likable role with tvb. She had a very minor role in forensic heros. I think she was very evil in perish in the name of love and witness to prosecution 2. But it shows she can act in any role. Not sure why people do not like her.

As for Sunny Chan, you are right about the mindless roles, but he was very good in ghost writer portraying both good and evil.

I do remember Raymond Wong and Ruco Chan playing very minor roles and now they are lead. I don't recall Stephen Au in much TVB series except for witness to prosecution 2, angel of mission, and strike at heart.

Glad to hear Joey Meng is doing well, I thought Alice was doing good with tvb.
    Sunny tends to overact in his recent TVB roles because they are either super naive or evil. I thought he was OK in "Ghost Writer" but he was at his very best in "Threshold of An Era" as a good guy gradually turned bad. He showed the ruthlessness of his character without yelling at the top of his voice or being violent. Sunny needs more quiet while collar villain roles. He is very good at acting with his eyes.

Alice has had no significant role in TVB yet. And she is always supporting. I hope she has a standout role in the upcoming series with Kent Tong.

After his popularity soared in the sitcoms, Stephen Au was about to make male lead when he suddenly left to do some evangelism work.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://www.spcnet.tv/tvb/zumtsaga/zu03.jpg') <--- Lily Chung
    Weirdly, the one girl in Zu Mountain Saga 2 who I found really attractive was Lily's sect leader - the Holy Maiden. Sadly, Zu Mountain seems to have been her only significant role in TVB, although she would spend a good many more years with TVB as just an unnamed extra (e.g. one of Ouyang Ke's flunkies in LOCH 1994). I wonder why that happened - she was pretty enough, and while not a great actress was certainly no worse than some of TVB's other talents. Maybe she offended someone at the top or something...

I also found Peach Fairy attractive, but at least she went on to bigger roles with TVB. Her assistant - the Red Haired Dragon Girl - was also rather cute, but I think sadly was always playing small uncredited supporting roles. I have no idea how the actress who played Holy Maiden could get demoted to drastically, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Weirdly, the one girl in Zu Mountain Saga 2 who I found really attractive was Lily's sect leader - the Holy Maiden. Sadly, Zu Mountain seems to have been her only significant role in TVB, although she would spend a good many more years with TVB as just an unnamed extra (e.g. one of Ouyang Ke's flunkies in LOCH 1994). I wonder why that happened - she was pretty enough, and while not a great actress was certainly no worse than some of TVB's other talents. Maybe she offended someone at the top or something...

I also found Peach Fairy attractive, but at least she went on to bigger roles with TVB. Her assistant - the Red Haired Dragon Girl - was also rather cute, but I think sadly was always playing small uncredited supporting roles. I have no idea how the actress who played Holy Maiden could get demoted to drastically, though.
    Any pictures?
    Cyril Connolly

you guys remember "mystery of the sabre"
    http://baike.baidu.com/view/1491214.htm

and

Eastern Hero

you guys remember "mystery of the sabre"
    http://baike.baidu.com/view/1491214.htm

and

Eastern Hero
    Sorry, can;t recall.

But seeing Chin Siu Ho and Emily Kwan, who remembers "The Vampire Returns"? Sammi played twins. It was quite funny.
    Cyril Connolly

Sorry, can;t recall.

But seeing Chin Siu Ho and Emily Kwan, who remembers "The Vampire Returns"? Sammi played twins. It was quite funny.
    ah I do remember that series. It was pretty funny and I thought it was cool watching the vampires. Remember Angelina lo picking her nose and singing horribly but the guys were like mesmerize by sammi.

ah I do remember that series. It was pretty funny and I thought it was cool watching the vampires. Remember Angelina lo picking her nose and singing horribly but the guys were like mesmerize by sammi.
    Emily was scary though. Her dad was pretty nuts as well, providing live men for her after she died. She gave me nightmares back then when I first watched it. The ending was very sad until we had the sudden twist which was both creepy and funny. Sammi was cute back then.

Emily was scary though. Her dad was pretty nuts as well, providing live men for her after she died. She gave me nightmares back then when I first watched it. The ending was very sad until we had the sudden twist which was both creepy and funny. Sammi was cute back then.
    When she was in the coffin, I found it quite scary. I think the dad just wanted her to have a better afterlife so he did whatever she told him in his dream. The officer who decided to marry her look so scary afterwards. I think eventually Emily kills her dad too right?

I find it interesting when they have western and Chinese vampires. Makes me wonder which came first.

Anyone seen vengeance?
    http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Vengeance

I thought the series was pretty good but I don't think I would re-watch it just because it got too sad for me.
    I thought it was good, but then when Irene was sold to a group in Cambodia and became a sex slave because of Gallen's character, I felt for her. It was a horrible experience, I don't know how she could've let go of her vengeance after that. And I'm kind of frustrated with Deric's character as Uncle Rain and how he was like a sponsor to Irene's character. It took so long for him to realize how much he cared for her and than he was not understanding where she was coming from with the vengeance.

Quote Originally Posted by Miaka FY View Post
    Anyone remember Beside the Seaside, Beside the Sea with Nnadia and Ekin? I remember see this and like it. But for the whole story, i should rewatch in my vhs hm...
    I wanted to watch that tv series, ever since Nnadia's role in Song Bird ended so tragically for Zhou Xuan. And after seeing so many Nnadia and Ekin series and having them paired but not end up together was just sad. Did this one end happily or not? The only one that ended okay was Mark of Triumph and Knot to Treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Miaka FY View Post
    hm, here 月兒彎彎照九州
    also I remember I love when Nnadia sing this song
    I wanted to watch this but now probably can't.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Instinct

credit MrMusical1980 yt channel

the whole story was good until the end =.=;; crap ...whywhy my nnadia die =.=
    also I remember my grudge on Amy =.=;;[/QUOTE]

I can't remember why Nnadia or is it Adia now? had to die. I remember watching Greed of Man and I didn't like Amy Kwok's character either, because I liked Vivian and Sean together.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    This series was super boring for me so I never finished it. I do know the theme song was sang by Hacken Lee though.
    The songs were sung by Hacken Lee and the sub songs were sung by Kwong Wa.

They are old enemies of her dad the sect they belonged to. The two sides used to battle a lot for years until the peace talk happened, and then Tse Hiu Fung slept with Noel dad's fiance and then the good side tricked them, and massacred the whole sect.
    What? I thought it was Nameless Sword (the young guy) who had blinded her by accident and that's why he became so apologetic towards her. And then followed her around to take care of her while he was the one who had been in love with Tse Hiu Feng's daughter, Yuk.

I think your talking about when Eddie Tricks Louis into thinking Noel died. He told Louis that all those ppl from the good sect killed her as she was begging them to spare Louis. He said that those ppl didn't even let go of a blind girl. That's when Louis turns mad, I think he breaks out of jail ( cannot remember) and kills everyone. So I think Eddie finally got his revenge he's been seeking at the end.

I think this is Eddie's most evil role, but I do pity him because he did say that he just wanted to provide Irene with the best and that he loved her.
    No, I disagree. This is not Eddie's most evil role. I consider him pathetic and despicable in Against the Blade of Honor. But his most evil role was probably in All About Tin with Deric Wan, Catherine Hong, and Ada Choi.

I always liked Catherine Hong since her role in The Holy Dragon Saga with Frankie Lam and Marco Ngai. I think I've seen her in a mainland china series as one of the royal concubines of some series I can't remember.

Can we talk about Secret of the Heart? This is the drama where I really did root for Amy Kwok's character because she was the dutiful older sister who worked hard and got cheated by her boyfriend/fiance and then she met and fell in love with Felix Wong and Gallen Lo. I liked Felix and Amy together, Gallen was good with his girlfriend Apple. Apple was a good girl. I think she died I can't remember. But I was really disappointed when they decided to kill off Ada Choi's Diana character and Nick had killed her but we didn't see it. It was all off screen. Not that I liked Diana but she was finally coming around and returning Sunny's feelings for her.The ending was kind of disappointing. Suet Li was such a bad mom mistreated Sunny all those years while Nick really did not even love her as much as Sunny did.

Really did not like Felix and Kathy Chow together. I watched this drama on and off back then and I think I skipped the part where and how Kathy got pregnant with Felix's kid and lost it.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 08-11-15 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Can we talk about Secret of the Heart?
    Oh yeah! I loved this drama though it drove me to tears and I hated the ending. Everything I wanted did not happen and the couple I like did ntot end up together.

This is the drama where I really did root for Amy Kwok's character because she was the dutiful older sister who worked hard and got cheated by her boyfriend/fiance and then she met and fell in love with Felix Wong and Gallen Lo. I liked Felix and Amy together, Gallen was good with his girlfriend Apple. Apple was a good girl. I think she died I can't remember.
    I so much wanted Felix and Amy to get together from the beginning and cried my heart out when they got divorced. In a way, I had always thought Amy never really did let go of Gallen despite breaking up though she did fall for Felix after what he did for her. Gallen was the one that got away and they had this special closeness and friendship that cannot be replaced by their partners (Felix, Melissa).

Apple was a very good and devoted girl but Gallen treated her very badly. She died of cancer. It was very sad.
    Cyril Connolly

I always liked Catherine Hong since her role in The Holy Dragon Saga with Frankie Lam and Marco Ngai. I think I've seen her in a mainland china series as one of the royal concubines of some series I can't remember.
    She was in Qin Shihuang as Qin Shihuang's mother during his early years, who had the affair with Lu Buwei (played by Ray Looi). Qin Shihuang is supposed to be a product of their adultery.

I always liked Catherine Hong since her role in The Holy Dragon Saga with Frankie Lam and Marco Ngai.
    Is that series with the horrid disco-ball-looking ultimate weapon that gathers light and shoots out laser beams?

I last saw Catherine Hung in Mainland China's "Mystery Of the Palace" as one of the senior maids. Her role wasn't very big but she still looked very beautiful. Her husband was also in the same series.

Anyway, back to SOH. I hated Felix and Kathy together. I thought their characters were totally wrong for each other. Kathy was too clingy and immature and not to mention annoying. Felix only took her in out of pity and tried to accept her and move on from Amy. They were wrong from the start. Felix only asked her to take him back out of responsibility when Amy told him that she was pregnant. I don't think he ever loved her but he did care for her.

I got really annoyed when Kathy actually tried to seduce Felix, her sister's husband at the time, when he came to visit their son. But glad that she pulled out at the last minute. That was so wrong.
    Cyril Connolly