Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous old ATV/TVB series

Ha... I need another reminder. Who is Wu Meiyi?

I also love Michael and Barbara in Fearless Duo, and I can't decide whether i love them more there or in CLH 84. They have screen time together in FD, not to mention the many funny scenes...(but it broke my heart when we had the scenes of Lam Chor Yin's (Barbara) death...too close to the real world...)

Posted the summaries and some screen captures of the last episodes of United We Stand:

http://riverandlakerealm.blogspot.co...isodes-10.html

enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    Ha... I need another reminder. Who is Wu Meiyi?

I also love Michael and Barbara in Fearless Duo, and I can't decide whether i love them more there or in CLH 84. They have screen time together in FD, not to mention the many funny scenes...(but it broke my heart when we had the scenes of Lam Chor Yin's (Barbara) death...too close to the real world...)
    In CLH 84, she played bobby au yeung sister and ended up marrying wong wan choi. I think her name was sit yan in the series, sorry its been a long time, don't really remember.

Also, thanks for posting the summaries, very nicely done. It's been so long since i've seen united we stand, brings back a lot of memories.
    Last edited by Nan Ling; 11-15-16 at 07:28 AM.

What do you all think about Hugo Ng's character from the Legendary Ranger as compare Lawrence Yan's character from good lover, bad partner? Both were very smart and intelligent in executing their crimes. Both were obsessed with their ex lovers. Sometimes I do wonder who would win if they competed against each other.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll173/yellowsoysauce/self%20denial_zpskms2nk6y.jpg')
    Anyone remember this series? Saw it a long time ago...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nan Ling; 11-18-16 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    In CLH 84, she played bobby au yeung sister and ended up marrying wong wan choi. I think her name was sit yan in the series, sorry its been a long time, don't really remember.

Also, thanks for posting the summaries, very nicely done. It's been so long since i've seen united we stand, brings back a lot of memories.
    Ah, thanks a lot for the info re CLH character. Wasn't she actually married to the late Austin Wai once, before they were divorced?

And thanks for reading the UWS summary! I totally enjoyed it despite not getting the fine details due to my lack of Cantonese...

I enjoyed the series, although I found the story with Yue Fei's and Qin Hui's descendants to be really depressing. Ada's story was a typical suffer-for-good-ending kind of fairytale, while Gallen's had a fair share of tragedy, yet still managed to have a happy ending (although I felt so, so sorry for Lau Kong's character - his whole life was just one terrible devastating tragedy just to repay a simple debt of gratitude). Marco and Vivian's story was just horrible - it gave me the impression that it had to end that way simply because Yue Fei had cursed Qin Hui prior to his execution, saying that he'll have no descendants, and because of that, Qin Hui's descendants had to die, even though his grandchildren Vivian and Lee Yiu King were both really good and righteous people. That story actually reminded me that no matter how much someone wrongs me, to never, ever curse them that their line will end, because I'll never know if one day my grandchildren will be friends with their grandchildren. Vivian and Lee were such likeable, heroic youths, and even though Marco eventually restored his family name he was devastated that he lost both of them.

I cannot for the life of me remember the second story, though. Ada was first, Marco was third and Gallen was fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I cannot for the life of me remember the second story, though. Ada was first, Marco was third and Gallen was fourth.
    I think it was the one where Gloria Yip was playing a male role. Gloria was found by a river and raised by monks. He eventually found his biological mum, Ngai Chau Wah, who was a nasty woman who owned a brothel. But she was not always like this. She was the first wife of Gloria's dad who conspired with his mistress to kill both her and her son. She survived but had to put her son by the river in hope that he would be adopted and have a better life as she went back to kill the husband. She managed to kill both Gloria's dad and his mistress but she became a selfish and evil person since then she saw it as the only way to survive in the world.

Gloria's mum cared for him and Gloria tried many ways to change his mum but she refused. She set up Carol Yeung, who was Gloria's love interest, to be raped by the head of the law enforcement, who she was in cahoots to keep her illegal businesses running. Carol Yeung was thrown off the 2nd floor after being raped and died. Her soul returned to haunt her murderers and they died.

Gloria's mum' soul was tortured for her sins in hell by those who she indirectly killed and Gloria felt a need to save her. After going through a number of trials, Gloria saved her mum who was reincarnated into an animal. Carol and other victims of Gloria's mum let go of their anger and reincarnated. Then Gloria became a monk.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

What do you all think about Hugo Ng's character from the Legendary Ranger as compare Lawrence Yan's character from good lover, bad partner? Both were very smart and intelligent in executing their crimes. Both were obsessed with their ex lovers. Sometimes I do wonder who would win if they competed against each other.
    I think Hugo was the better actor even though both were good. I thought Hugo gave a better depth to his crazy lunatic of a character even though there was not much to work with.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I think it was the one where Gloria Yip was playing a male role. Gloria was found by a river and raised by monks. He eventually found his biological mum, Ngai Chau Wah, who was a nasty woman who owned a brothel. But she was not always like this. She was the first wife of Gloria's dad who conspired with his mistress to kill both her and her son. She survived but had to put her son by the river in hope that he would be adopted and have a better life as she went back to kill the husband. She managed to kill both Gloria's dad and his mistress but she became a selfish and evil person since then she saw it as the only way to survive in the world.

Gloria's mum cared for him and Gloria tried many ways to change his mum but she refused. She set up Carol Yeung, who was Gloria's love interest, to be raped by the head of the law enforcement, who she was in cahoots to keep her illegal businesses running. Carol Yeung was thrown off the 2nd floor after being raped and died. Her soul returned to haunt her murderers and they died.

Gloria's mum' soul was tortured for her sins in hell by those who she indirectly killed and Gloria felt a need to save her. After going through a number of trials, Gloria saved her mum who was reincarnated into an animal. Carol and other victims of Gloria's mum let go of their anger and reincarnated. Then Gloria became a monk.
    Ahh, I remember some of it now. I never really liked Carol Yeung, but I thought she was absolutely gorgeous in this. Bonnie was also excellent as the main antagonist. No wonder the pics have Gloria dressed in male clothing. This one sounds depressing as well, so I guess it's just Ada's and Gallen's stories which end well. Well, Marco's as well if you only look at the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I enjoyed the series, although I found the story with Yue Fei's and Qin Hui's descendants to be really depressing. Ada's story was a typical suffer-for-good-ending kind of fairytale, while Gallen's had a fair share of tragedy, yet still managed to have a happy ending (although I felt so, so sorry for Lau Kong's character - his whole life was just one terrible devastating tragedy just to repay a simple debt of gratitude). Marco and Vivian's story was just horrible - it gave me the impression that it had to end that way simply because Yue Fei had cursed Qin Hui prior to his execution, saying that he'll have no descendants, and because of that, Qin Hui's descendants had to die, even though his grandchildren Vivian and Lee Yiu King were both really good and righteous people. That story actually reminded me that no matter how much someone wrongs me, to never, ever curse them that their line will end, because I'll never know if one day my grandchildren will be friends with their grandchildren. Vivian and Lee were such likeable, heroic youths, and even though Marco eventually restored his family name he was devastated that he lost both of them.

If I recall correctly, Qin Hui's son always try to find Yue fei descendents and killed them for some reason. Killing Yue fei was not enough. I really like Marco and Vivian's chemistry here. Enjoy this story the most.

I think Ada and Gallen had a happier ending than Marco and Gloria. But each story had a message and show's challenges people go through for their love ones.

I think Hugo was the better actor even though both were good. I thought Hugo gave a better depth to his crazy lunatic of a character even though there was not much to work with.
    I really cannot decide since they were both really good. Also in a lawyer can be good, Lawrence was also really good at the end when he was trying to frame Eric. You really got that feeling that he was very evil and crazy. He would stop at nothing, even killing himself for revenge.

Started watching "when dreams come true" with Wong Mei and Gilbert Lam. Gilbert is super funny in there.

If I recall correctly, Qin Hui's son always try to find Yue fei descendents and killed them for some reason. Killing Yue fei was not enough. I really like Marco and Vivian's chemistry here. Enjoy this story the most.

I think Ada and Gallen had a happier ending than Marco and Gloria. But each story had a message and show's challenges people go through for their love ones.
    Qin Hui's son Qin Xi was every bit as evil as his father, and also knew the truth behind Yue Fei's execution. It was the next generation with Qin Xi's children who grew up idolising their father (who maintained a virtuous facade while hiding the dark secret), and inherited all the virtue which their father espoused on the surface. When the truth was discovered, Qin Xi did everything he could to murder the Yue family to stop them from finding the proof they needed, while Vivian helped Marco find the evidence and died protecting Marco from one of her father's palms. Her brother, when confronted with the truth about their grandparents, was so ashamed that he committed suicide. Both were such kind people, but you're right, their father (Qin Hui's son) was every bit as evil as his father.

Gallen had his fair share of tragedy in losing his adoptive father as well as his friends, but at least he ended up with his mother and his girl. It was his adoptive father who I felt really really sad for, and who I believe was the actual protagonist of the story.

I think Qin Hui was always insecure about Yue Fei's descendants coming to kill him so he told his son to hunt them down and eradicate their bloodline so no one will ever know that he allied with the Jurchens and framed Yue Fei.

I think that this series is special because not only does it promote the duty to love and care for parents and children, it also brings up that no matter how deep the love, it should not override justice and righteousness.

Carol, Vivian and Lee Yiu King all loved their parents, yet they did not let that love stand in the way of doing what they thought was right and stopping their parents from committing more wrongs at the expense of their own lives.

I actually found Ada's story to be quite boring. And though Gallen's acting was good, his character annoyed me as he kept dismissing his adoptive dad. It was a nice touch to see that he stood by this man who loved him so much in the end and insisted that he enter the ancestral hall. I preferred Marco and Vivian's story even though it was tragic because the pace was faster.
    Cyril Connolly

All, hope we have a more peaceful, happier and healthier 2017. Thank you very much for your visits to my blog.

Also, here's a new MV of United We Stand, hope you like it. The song is Leslie Cheung's A Thousand Dreams of You.

Happy New Year!

I made the noir version of the MV above as follows:

Made another MV for the United We Stand, but in Vimeo, cos YouTube banned my Madonna music (I used Madonna's 'He's a Man' from Dick Tracy movie):

The Dailymotion link (in case some can't access Vimeo) is here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x573b02

Update: and... it has been rejected by DM because of the Madonna song. Palm/face. Now I have only Vimeo for the video...
    Last edited by Icha Parvati; 01-02-17 at 07:41 PM.

I think Qin Hui was always insecure about Yue Fei's descendants coming to kill him so he told his son to hunt them down and eradicate their bloodline so no one will ever know that he allied with the Jurchens and framed Yue Fei.

I think that this series is special because not only does it promote the duty to love and care for parents and children, it also brings up that no matter how deep the love, it should not override justice and righteousness.

Carol, Vivian and Lee Yiu King all loved their parents, yet they did not let that love stand in the way of doing what they thought was right and stopping their parents from committing more wrongs at the expense of their own lives.

I actually found Ada's story to be quite boring. And though Gallen's acting was good, his character annoyed me as he kept dismissing his adoptive dad. It was a nice touch to see that he stood by this man who loved him so much in the end and insisted that he enter the ancestral hall. I preferred Marco and Vivian's story even though it was tragic because the pace was faster.
    My favorite out of the four stories was marco and vivian's story.

I agree Gallen's character did annoy me. I felt bad for Joanne Chan since she loved him.

Recently saw a music video of "Hero's from Shaolin" and the ending still makes me sad. I think Gigi's character did a lot for Derek but he never felt the same way about her. =(

Icha Parvati, nice videos =)