Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Devilish Women of the Ancient China

Quote Originally Posted by Sarafina View Post
    I think what made it tragic for Frankie is that, in this series, destiny was ultimately shown to be alterable. Noel's character avoided her fate to die after reaching her birthday with the help of Aaron. That leads me to think that Frankie's fate could have been altered as well if he had a more sympathetic support system.

Is it even right for a father to discriminate between his kids? Should a kid who was fated to die at a certain age be treated kindly but a kid who was fated to turn evil be treated with hostility instead of with kindness. The father didn't even make an attempt to try to change his kids' lives around.
    Yes, Yiu Hongzi (in the same way pretty much every one of the good guys did) really annoyed me as well - would it have been so hard to even show a bit of warmth to your son? Even before Frankie had turned evil, YHZ was already treating him like trash who was not to be trusted, and as some evil scheming villain carrying a facade of good. This, coming from a man who lent his support to Sima Chungwan at the start and gave him the advice he needed to beat Hong Zhan. It was like, no matter what Frankie ever did, YHZ would never approve of it, and just kept thinking "he's going to turn bad eventually, he's going to turn bad eventually". Why not just kill the kid then? In fact, why not kill both your kids so they wouldn't have to face their fates?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Yes, Yiu Hongzi (in the same way pretty much every one of the good guys did) really annoyed me as well - would it have been so hard to even show a bit of warmth to your son? Even before Frankie had turned evil, YHZ was already treating him like trash who was not to be trusted, and as some evil scheming villain carrying a facade of good. This, coming from a man who lent his support to Sima Chungwan at the start and gave him the advice he needed to beat Hong Zhan. It was like, no matter what Frankie ever did, YHZ would never approve of it, and just kept thinking "he's going to turn bad eventually, he's going to turn bad eventually". Why not just kill the kid then? In fact, why not kill both your kids so they wouldn't have to face their fates?
    That was my problem with a lot of these so call good sects, most of them are so hypocritical. There was a line in the Snow is Red that Yip Siu Fung said that always stuck with me, "because they are from honourable sects, they believe they are always right, even when they do something wrong, they still believe they are right". What annoys me is how the plot continues to view these 'good people' in a positive light, trying to prove what they did were right.

I don't understand how the script writers did not see the unfairness of it all? How are they so blind?

It came out in 1996 and then remastered in 2008. Isn't 1996 when Snow is Red also came out?
    It came out in 1997 I think. It does sound similar but the main guy sounds more likable. I'll problem tune in when the master appears. Want to see what she looks like.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I remember this character. She was the twin of Royal Cat's fiancé. There are a lot of female characters from Judge Pao that I liked. Could make a whole list with them.
    Ah yes I like a lot of the female characters as well.

Two that came in mind right now is Maggie Siu's character where she was a thief. She was a wanted criminal because she killed corrupt officials and rob from them.

I forgot the girls name but she was in the case where she try to frame felix so that he would get executed by the king. In the end she found out that her dad didn't die innocently and she kills herself.

So many people seem to like Ada's character from Revelation of the last Hero but I didn't.

Though I agree with what Ian Liew said and really did feel bad for her but the choice was still hers to make in the end. I didn't like her as much as her characters from her other films because she couldn't stick to her conviction. If she was going to be bad, she should of went all out, but she still moped around too much. It doesn't help that between her and Frankie, I felt more sorry for Frankie and dislike her for using him that way.

The characters that I felt most sorry for in the whole ROTLH was actually the 1st evil guys daughter and her husband. They were two innocent people who tried to do right by their family and loved each other so much everyone else just could not compare. Even to this day, I remembered their last conversation with each other before he was attacked and lost his senses.

He had a felt a forbearing and asked her to leave him if anything should happen, she took his hand and asked him if he knew what a wife to a husband was, he didn't answer or said some non inconsequential stuff, she told him a wife is the the shadow of her husband, once they were married, they would stick with each other for life.

Afterwards, he was turned into a zombie killing machine and could no longer recognise her, she finally sacrifice herself to get him back to his senses and they died in each others arms.

Maybe because I was so impacted by this couple and Frankie's plight that I could not feel love or compassion for everyone else. They just all paled in comparison.
    Are you talking about Lau sau ping? I really like her after jade fox. It was different to see her take a serious role here. But I agree with you, watching them made me sad and I felt so bad for them.

I thought bryan leung was funny in this series.

In terms of feeling bad for Frankie's character, I felt really bad for his character in Before Dawn.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll173/yellowsoysauce/thCAM1B1BF_zpsefhaz066.jpg')
    Sharon Chan in Devil's disciple
    I like her character here, trying to get revenge for her clan that were innocently killed by the so call good clans.

Au yeung pui san in Heir to the throne

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...fo2&ajaxhist=0

Totally agree with you 100% on Ada's mother. She caused all these problems then turns around and pretends like its nothing to do with her and even daring to talk to her daughter like she was innocent from start to end.
    Yeah, Ada was good from the beginning even though she was trained by her mother to be ruthless all her life.

Frankie's character was supposed to be bad from the start, that's why Noel's father treated him so harshly. He is the perfect example of the nature vs nurture argument. Noel's father believes him to be bad by nature so treated him with prejudiced which in turns made him into the person he became.
    I really really hate his father and foster father in the series. I don't blame him for killing them both.

I think what made it tragic for Frankie is that, in this series, destiny was ultimately shown to be alterable. Noel's character avoided her fate to die after reaching her birthday with the help of Aaron. That leads me to think that Frankie's fate could have been altered as well if he had a more sympathetic support system.

Is it even right for a father to discriminate between his kids? Should a kid who was fated to die at a certain age be treated kindly but a kid who was fated to turn evil be treated with hostility instead of with kindness. The father didn't even make an attempt to try to change his kids' lives around.
    Yeah, if Frankie was raised with love, I think there is a very good possibility that he would turn good. When Noel discovered her brother killed her father, she was thirst for revenge. She never considered about how her father treated her brother. Frankie did not really want to kill his father, his father forced him to. If he did not kill his father, his father would kill him. He would be dead instead. I don't really blame him for that.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 02-28-16 at 01:11 AM.