Thread: Mainland China To Release Three Adaptations of The Bund <上海灘>

Default Mainland China To Release Three Adaptations of The Bund <上海灘>

Mainland China To Release Three Adaptations of The Bund

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.jaynestars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/the-choice.jpg')
    TVBs classic crime drama series The Bund <上海灘> was a huge hit in Asia when it was released in 1980, and its legacy remains alive even after so many years. Thanks to this series, Chow Yun Fat (周潤發), Ray Lui (呂良偉), andAngie Chiu (趙雅芝) became superstars across Asia, and their stardom remains strong today.
    The Bund spawned several film adaptations and remakes over the last thirty years. However, none of them managed to emulate the success of the original series, not even the 1996 Hong Kong film adaptation Shanghai Grand <新上海灘> starring Andy Lau (劉德華) and Leslie Cheung (張國榮).
    Even so, the lasting impact of the original series has continued to inspire filmmakers to make more. According to new reports, three film adaptations of The Bund from Mainland China are in the making, and one of themstarring Leon Lai (黎明) and Gao Yuanyuan (高圓圓)is already awaiting for release.
    The Choice <君子道:上海灘後傳>, touted as the Chinese version of The Godfather, is a self-proclaimed sequel of The Bund. It stars Leon Lai as Hui Man Keung, who had survived his assassination and is now taking on a godfather role. In this story, Ting Lik has become a villain and dies a horrible death.
    Gao Xixi (高希希), who directed the 2006 Chinese television drama remake ofThe Bund starring Huang Xiaoming (黃曉明) as Hui Man Keung, has signed on to direct a film adaptation of the original series, produced by Beijing Tianzhong Yinghua and Eastern Shanghai. Reports say that Nicholas Tse (謝霆鋒) was cast to play Hui Man Keung, while Han Geng (韓庚) was cast to play Ting Lik.
    Ray Lui, the original actor of Ting Lik, became a household name after the success of The Bund, and his character also spawned two more drama sequels from TVB. It was reported that Ray is currently investing in another upcoming film adaptation for the series, and the movie, tentatively titled The Legend of Ting Lik <上海灘之丁力傳> will be directed by Poon Man Kit (潘文傑), the director of 1996s Shanghai Grand.
    Sources say Ray contacted Chow Yun Fat and Angie Chiu, asking them if they would be interested in reprising their roles for the film. However, due to funding and script issues, both of them turned down the offer.
    The Legend of Ting Lik will see the return of Ray as Ting Lik, now one of Shanghais strongest leaders of the underworld, and his story with some ambitious youngsters. It was reported that young Chinese idol actors have been cast to star as these youngsters, including Kris Wu (吳亦凡) and Lu Han (鹿晗).The Legend of Ting Lik will begin filming at the end of the year.

http://www.jaynestars.com/news/mainl...s-of-the-bund/

One thing I don't like about Mainland China is keep making remake based on popular serials or novels. Why not making something original that haven't adapt in to serials? I wonder how many remakes will Mainland China going make based on Jin Yong novels. There are more wuxia novels out there other than LOCH, ROCH, HSDS, DOMD, Book and Sword, FFOSM, SSWRB, etc. Why not making something new?

I am not too excited about this, especially Leon Playing Hui Man Keung. I was actually happy with HXM and Sun Li's version, but seems like they are milking the cow until it dies. I wish they would spend more time writing their own stories.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I just found out about this last night. I'll give it a spin. Nothing is likely to ever top the 1980 original, but it is cool to see other people's interpretations of the classic story.

There's also talk that Wong Jing is shooting a new BUND film with Chow Yun Fat reprising the role of Hui Mun Keung.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I am not too excited about this, especially Leon Playing Hui Man Keung. I was actually happy with HXM and Sun Li's version, but seems like they are milking the cow until it dies. I wish they would spend more time writing their own stories.
    I agree. Mainland China TV companies need to stop making remakes. Sooner or later people will get sick of all the remakes of popular serials or Jin Yong and Gulong novels. They either need to write up their own stories or making serials based on novels from other wuxia novels that haven't adapt into serials. No matter how much money they spend on the remakes, they will never be as good as the golden 80s adaptions. People want new storylines, not old storylines with different actors and actresses.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    There's also talk that Wong Jing is shooting a new BUND film with Chow Yun Fat reprising the role of Hui Mun Keung.
    Is that even possible? The character died at the end of the series and as great an actor as CYF is, no one's gonna buy him playing a role that young.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Is that even possible? The character died at the end of the series and as great an actor as CYF is, no one's gonna buy him playing a role that young.
    They're obviously going to need to rewrite the story, and eschew a remake of the original series.

I can imagine a scenario where Hui Mun Keung faked his death many years ago to avoid further entanglements with Shanghai's criminal underworld, and perhaps lived in peace apart from the triad feuds for years. Some new development perhaps compelled him to return from his self-imposed exile.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    They're obviously going to need to rewrite the story, and eschew a remake of the original series.

I can imagine a scenario where Hui Mun Keung faked his death many years ago to avoid further entanglements with Shanghai's criminal underworld, and perhaps lived in peace apart from the triad feuds for years. Some new development perhaps compelled him to return from his self-imposed exile.
    It would be awesome if they could reassemble the old casts and have Ray Lui and Angie Chiu play their characters as well. I know there was a couple of sequels with Ray Lui, but it would be great to see the three main leads interact after all these years.