Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: STAR WARS: EPISODE VII: THE FORCE AWAKENS

Default STAR WARS: EPISODE VII: THE FORCE AWAKENS

Going to see it later today...will discuss later.

May the Force Be With You.

1. I liked it (which says nothing other than I liked it, as I liked the other six as well).

2. The First Order seems scarier than the Empire for some reason...and it's not just because the First Order has more powerful weapons. The First Order seems to have taken the Empire's brutality to a higher level.

3. The silent confrontation between Han Solo and Kylo Ren on that bridge: one of the most emotionally intense, and yet understated moments I've seen in a STAR WARS film...or any film, for that matter.

4. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but THE FORCE AWAKENS in general seems more emotionally intense than all the previous six movies...with the possible exception of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (and even then, I'm not sure AWAKENS doesn't edge out EMPIRE there).

5. The Poe Cameron/Finn jacket: it looked *really* stylish...something you can actually wear for a night out on the town or to take out the garbage on a cold night (and look cool doing it). Wonder if those will catch on not just as cosplay outfits, but actual casualwear?

6. We got new planets galore and no old ones, so the question is...is a new map of the Galaxy (far, far away) available somewhere that includes new planets such as Jakku and the other new planets we saw in THE FORCE AWAKENS?

7. This is the first STAR WARS movie to not feature the living presence of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader.

8. This is also the first STAR WARS movie to not feature ANY kind of presence (living or dead) from Obi-Wan Kenobi.

9. This might also be the first STAR WARS movie in which nobody got any limbs hacked off by a lightsaber. The tradition started with the original trilogy, but was limited to once per movie (unless you count all those times C3PO got his arms torn off). In the prequels, it got taken to ridiculous levels. In THE FORCE AWAKENS, all limbs remained attached to all characters (on screen, at least), despite the lightsaber action.

Banned

Delete. Content has been moved to this thread: http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...=1#post1126603
    Last edited by hirobo2; 05-23-16 at 03:23 PM.

Banned

Delete. Content has been moved to this thread: http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...=1#post1126603
    Last edited by hirobo2; 05-23-16 at 03:23 PM.

Banned

Last edited by hirobo2; 05-23-16 at 03:24 PM.

Banned

Last edited by hirobo2; 05-23-16 at 03:24 PM.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens. Sure it followed the story beats of A New Hope, but I thought it was fun.

Banned

Last edited by hirobo2; 05-23-16 at 03:25 PM.

Banned

Last edited by hirobo2; 05-23-16 at 03:25 PM.

Banned

Last edited by hirobo2; 05-23-16 at 03:26 PM.

Banned

Last edited by hirobo2; 05-23-16 at 03:26 PM.

Banned

Last edited by hirobo2; 05-23-16 at 03:27 PM.

Banned

Banned

Banned

Last edited by hirobo2; 05-23-16 at 03:28 PM.

I tried to avoid all star wars thread like a plague due to spoiler. Finally got to see it today and here is my take.

1. I liked it fine since i'm a fan of the franchise(I liked all 6 movies).

2. I saw it in Imax 3D but I was much more impressed with the previews than the moviee as far as special effect goes. The lightsabre battles were all very generic and boring.

3. Some of the fight scenes were very confusing to me. I have no idea how Fin(an ordinary stormtrooper) was able to go toe to toe vs kylo ren(a trained jedi with telekinetic powers). He even managed to injured ren. That makes no sense to me unless Fin was a jedi himself. Even Rey was not supposed to put up a battle against Ren, she had absolutely no jedi training and experience! Off course she freaking destroyed him....

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post

2. I saw it in Imax 3D but I was much more impressed with the previews than the moviee as far as special effect goes. The lightsabre battles were all very generic and boring.
    JJ Abrams stated that he wanted the lightsaber duels in this movie to reflect the duels of the Original Trilogy rather than those of the Prequel Trilogy. Not only do most STAR WARS fans express a preference for the rougher, grittier style of the OT lightsaber duels over the wuxia-style acrobatics of the PT duels, but also storywise, it makes sense because during the PT, there was an entire Jedi Order to train padawans and younglings, but in THE FORCE AWAKENS, the only Jedi Master is Luke Skywalker, and he's been missing.

3. Some of the fight scenes were very confusing to me. I have no idea how Fin(an ordinary stormtrooper) was able to go toe to toe vs kylo ren(a trained jedi with telekinetic powers). He even managed to injured ren. That makes no sense to me unless Fin was a jedi himself. Even Rey was not supposed to put up a battle against Ren, she had absolutely no jedi training and experience! Off course she freaking destroyed him....
    This one is easy: not long before Kylo dueled Finn, Kylo took a glancing hit from Chewbacca's laser bowcaster. We saw earlier in the movie how powerful that weapon is when Han or Chewie shot it at gangsters or Stormtroopers...it LITERALLY blew targets away. The only reason Kylo wasn't killed outright by Chewbacca's shot is probably the armor he wears plus his powers with the Dark Side of the Force. Even so, he was hurt badly enough (and we saw him bleed out and pound his injured tissue back into place) that he was seriously handicapped during his duels with Finn AND Rey. Had Kylo been at full strength, the results might have been very different.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    I tried to avoid all star wars thread like a plague due to spoiler. Finally got to see it today and here is my take.

1. I liked it fine since i'm a fan of the franchise(I liked all 6 movies).

Luke was far less trained than Vader and Luke was able to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    JJ Abrams stated that he wanted the lightsaber duels in this movie to reflect the duels of the Original Trilogy rather than those of the Prequel Trilogy. Not only do most STAR WARS fans express a preference for the rougher, grittier style of the OT lightsaber duels over the wuxia-style acrobatics of the PT duels, but also storywise, it makes sense because during the PT, there was an entire Jedi Order to train padawans and younglings, but in THE FORCE AWAKENS, the only Jedi Master is Luke Skywalker, and he's been missing.

This one is easy: not long before Kylo dueled Finn, Kylo took a glancing hit from Chewbacca's laser bowcaster. We saw earlier in the movie how powerful that weapon is when Han or Chewie shot it at gangsters or Stormtroopers...it LITERALLY blew targets away. The only reason Kylo wasn't killed outright by Chewbacca's shot is probably the armor he wears plus his powers with the Dark Side of the Force. Even so, he was hurt badly enough (and we saw him bleed out and pound his injured tissue back into place) that he was seriously handicapped during his duels with Finn AND Rey. Had Kylo been at full strength, the results might have been very different.
    I took his injury into account. I guess I'm either overestimating Ren's power or Finn has some hidden jedi background. Its really hard for me to imagine a guy with telekinetic power losing a fight to a random joe despite the injury. This is equivalent to a trained martial artist losing to a single palace guard, which literally never happens.

Well, I guess he technically didn't lose. I think I was just hoping he was much more of a badass than he turned out to be
    Last edited by i_fotted; 01-09-16 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

8. This is also the first STAR WARS movie to not feature ANY kind of presence (living or dead) from Obi-Wan Kenobi
    I believe his voice was featured if that counts