Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Action choreography in Wuxia TV shows

I thought the fighting scenes in Legend of Chu Liu Xiang (with Ken Chang and Louis Fan) is quite nice. As for the more recent ones, Three Heroes and Five Gallants has nice fight scenes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by limeic View Post
    I thought the fighting scenes in Legend of Chu Liu Xiang (with Ken Chang and Louis Fan) is quite nice. As for the more recent ones, Three Heroes and Five Gallants has nice fight scenes as well.
    Is that the newest CLX?.

Actually, I kinda like Ken Zhu's version, despite the many critisizm on Ken. And I'm also interested in Detective and Doctors of Raymond Lam. People said that the CGI was rather bad there, but I think that some of the fights were okay. The story and characters seemed interesting, but I couldnt find one with english subs.

Quote Originally Posted by luna_lucid View Post
    Is that the newest CLX?
    Yes (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by luna_lucid View Post
    Is Border good? I noticed that some people have been liking it. I'm not interested because I dont like Vivian Zhang (and the guys too? . plus there's no subs either).
    Border is pretty good, especially considering there has been drought of good wuxia dramas since the end of the 90s, methinks. I don't even mind its lack of English sub -- which sadly is the case of most of Cdramas, and practically all HK dramas as of late. I read the rave reviews for TVB's A Fist Within Four Walls for its great fighting scene and intense, but again, no English sub. I might give it a try, although I can't remember ever liking any TVB's non-period dramas.

Just another heads up, but Flying Swords of Dragon Inn is finally up on YouTube in all it's HD glory. Unfortunately no subs yet and I don't think there will be any considering this genre is not very teenage girl friendly. The fight choreography on the other hand is rock solid 90's era action with some minor CGI that's not over the top (well except for the tornadoes lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n30ZZ407NJs&t=20m30s

Evil eunuchs Ahoy! A great way to start out the first episode.
    Last edited by Vortigern; 09-20-16 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    I agree that TVB 80s are the best. Perhaps also 70s, but i havent seen the 70s products. Also ATV in those days, they have been touted as having amazing fights, though i barely remember the scenes.
    I can remember plenty of scenes from 70s ATV, the Four was one of them. They really did have a lot of amazing fight sequences since they did hire a good handful of actual martial artist to play these characters. I think the 80s TVB compared to the 70s and some 80s ATV were still lacking since I felt there was way too many reused sequences and very little diversity in martial arts styles.

Real martial arts fights are way more boring than TV but if you really like the genre all the fancy foot work and pacing really gets you pumping...but then I get pumped watching 2 10 year olds fight in Taekwando matches.

I am one of the late bloomers who only recently learned what Xia Xian is. It's the new Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon for this generation, now instead of shooting air at each other from 10 feet away, they can shoot colourful energy blast like Goku from 20 feet away...mid air. Since I am currently watching Legend of Chusen, our male lead has also just had his Super Seiyan moment, which cracked me up so much.

I checked out the new Border Town Prodigy which I recalled from the older 80s/90s TVB version, was particularly fond of it but there were some good fight scenes, the trailer for it looked pretty good, until you get to fight sequences and then it's a lot of quick takes, POSING, quick takes, FREEZE FRAME, POSING, END.

Martial Arts is now a rarity.

Check out this channel. Guy cuts fight scenes from older movies. I watch it once in a while whenever I watch a particularly nasty (as in eye rolling) fight sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sevenswordsrory/videos

The actor who plays the father, the man in white with a beard, is one of my favorite from this genre. I love his fluidity and love the fact that all of his daughters (in the drama) has similar styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn6u6jpq3RY
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Anyone know of any new movies (Last year or so) with great Kung Fu choreography?

Upcoming also.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yu View Post
    Anyone know of any new movies (Last year or so) with great Kung Fu choreography?

Upcoming also.
    Call of Heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by lenje View Post
    Call of Heroes!

Cool, will try to find and watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I can remember plenty of scenes from 70s ATV, the Four was one of them. They really did have a lot of amazing fight sequences since they did hire a good handful of actual martial artist to play these characters. I think the 80s TVB compared to the 70s and some 80s ATV were still lacking since I felt there was way too many reused sequences and very little diversity in martial arts styles.

Real martial arts fights are way more boring than TV but if you really like the genre all the fancy foot work and pacing really gets you pumping...but then I get pumped watching 2 10 year olds fight in Taekwando matches.

I am one of the late bloomers who only recently learned what Xia Xian is. It's the new Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon for this generation, now instead of shooting air at each other from 10 feet away, they can shoot colourful energy blast like Goku from 20 feet away...mid air. Since I am currently watching Legend of Chusen, our male lead has also just had his Super Seiyan moment, which cracked me up so much.

I checked out the new Border Town Prodigy which I recalled from the older 80s/90s TVB version, was particularly fond of it but there were some good fight scenes, the trailer for it looked pretty good, until you get to fight sequences and then it's a lot of quick takes, POSING, quick takes, FREEZE FRAME, POSING, END.

Martial Arts is now a rarity.

Check out this channel. Guy cuts fight scenes from older movies. I watch it once in a while whenever I watch a particularly nasty (as in eye rolling) fight sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sevenswordsrory/videos

The actor who plays the father, the man in white with a beard, is one of my favorite from this genre. I love his fluidity and love the fact that all of his daughters (in the drama) has similar styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn6u6jpq3RY

Attack air at each other is BS for action.

The most IMPRESSIVE thing about Chinese shows and movies (KungFu/Wushu/Martial Arts, IMO) is now more and more going away.

Very SAD this is happening!

A new Gu Long movie adaptation was just released over the weekend.

三少爷的剑

Looks like pretty heavy on the CGI during some fights, courtesy of Tsui Hark, but it's pretty slick. Whats interesting is that the director, Derek Yee, pretty much got his start in the Chinese movie industry playing the lead role of the original movie adaptation of the Gu Long novel way back in 1977.

Not sure how long it will take to show up on youtube or video sharing sites, but apparently it's getting a Western release too on December 9. However that is likely only be at very limited theaters in places like NY or LA which have significant Chinese populations.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yu View Post
    The most IMPRESSIVE thing about Chinese shows and movies (KungFu/Wushu/Martial Arts, IMO) is now more and more going away.
    It's a good thing. Most fights are terribly done anyways. Lots of ppl like me watch modern wuxia for the drama, not the exchange of blows.

Quote Originally Posted by hirobo2 View Post
    Lots of ppl like me watch modern wuxia for the drama, not the exchange of blows.
    I think that's because there are almost no wuxia series, nowadays, that are developed accordingly, so most viewers don't even know the beauty and coolness of a true wuxia series. Current viewers are used to wuxia-turned-drama instead, with lots of lots of emphasize in romance and only romance, with popular idols in gorgeous costumes, that almost eliminate the action and adventure parts. Me and my friends like wuxia because we grew up watching many cool wuxia dramas. People nowadays dont even know how a good Jin Yong story should be, because producers use the current drama trend to adapt one. I think that's just too bad.

Wuxia/xanxia are special drama genres that have their own charms (and they have romance too, of course), that can attract many viewers, if they are adapted properly according to the recent style/taste. It's already proven for years that many people are a fan of them and why old novels adaptations, such as Jin Yong and Gu Long , can still sell.

I see people complain why do they always remake "Legend Of Condor Heroes" instead of making original ones.

Well they DO, but today's wuxia aren't like any of these "Jin Yong" Wuxia. Not as good Kung Fu, nor plot.

That's the problem. Today, either there are no good writers like "Jin Yong" or there are no directors trying to adaption these stories.
    I am not sure I don't live in China to know which novels are as good as Jin Yong's.

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...g-Chen-Xing-Xu PROVES great action can still be made today, but somehow most of today's other shows are just NOT as good! Attack air at each other (Xian Xia) is TERRIBLE action.
    Last edited by Don Yu; 01-10-17 at 04:57 PM.

Thank you for this thread.

I think my taste in wuxia action is like many of yours, although personally I prefer late 90s, early 2000s over the 80s TVB.

Laughing in the Wind (2000-01) and DGSD (2003) some of my favorites for action. I prefer 2003 DGSD to the 97 version because of the outdated CGI/sound effects in the 1997 one (even by 1997 standards) are too distracting for me to enjoy the fighting scenes as much.

Through this thread I discovered the ZJZ production of Liang Yusheng's Datang Youxia Zhuan which I am 12 episodes into and very much enjoying. I think like many of you I really like the ZJZ style of choreography with clean wirefu and distinct fighting styles for each character over the heavy CGI, heavy romance and many recent shows. I also have the Great Protector queued up next.

I hope others can share any other good action choreography that has not been mentioned.

Its a shame I can't speak Mandarin as I would love to watch Legend of Song and Dance.

Smile

I am concern about the new young talented actors/actress weights.....
    I think most of them are too slim like the new Zhang WuJi and Zhao Min Princess...

Which I think would somewhat affect their martial art performing art.
    Take for example in the Ode to Gallantry 2003 version, Shi Po Tian doesn't look all that beautiful of an actor, however his size fit the person of an martial artists.

If you guys have seen a TV series from about 2005 name To Grow With Love with two main characters played by Myoly Wu and Hui Andy. The news about them is that they actually each gained about 50 pounds to play for their character roles.

Since after the show is over, they slimmed down and looks very amazing in looks and physical shape.
    Perhaps these new young talented actors/actress can at least gain ten or more pounds and do some form of martial art training exercise to better their looks and physical shape?

I mean how can you play for a character like the great general Yue Fei if you're too slim?

What do you guys think of how slim actors/actress is now?