Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why did you enjoy dgsd?

Quote Originally Posted by ToastedRossi View Post
    In particular, the fact that a lot of readers (and TV producers) don't seem to understand that Duan Yu is the main character is a big problem.
    I think that's more of JY screwing up than people not understanding -- Xiao Feng is simply just a much more engaging and interesting character. I get that Duan Yu is the one tying together most of the major plots, but it's XF who actually resonates with readers because he lives the unfortunate wuxia hero life while Duan Yu is just watching from the sidelines most of the time.

Even if it's inaccurate, treating XF as the main character is absolutely the right move in adaptions and given a choice I'd rather him be the main character in the novel as well.

DGSD seems to leave quite a bit of loose ends - for e.g. who left the Pei Ming Shen Gong manual that Duan Yu found in the valley along with an instruction to kill all members of Xiao Yao Sect? Wu Ya Zi asked Xu Zhu to kill Ding Chun Chiu, why not kill Li Tsiu Hsui too? They both betrayed and tried to kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I think that's more of JY screwing up than people not understanding -- Xiao Feng is simply just a much more engaging and interesting character. I get that Duan Yu is the one tying together most of the major plots, but it's XF who actually resonates with readers because he lives the unfortunate wuxia hero life while Duan Yu is just watching from the sidelines most of the time.

Even if it's inaccurate, treating XF as the main character is absolutely the right move in adaptions and given a choice I'd rather him be the main character in the novel as well.
    Why is XF more interesting than DY? What did XF do that make him interesting? With DY, at least you have good time seeing him chasing and winning WYY heart.

If Duan Yu had reprimanded WYY earlier on about her endless blind devotion to MF, it might have woken her up a bit. But he jest melts and fawned...

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    How can SPW and DOMD beat LOCH? DOMD is garbage and SPW has disgusting martial art like Sunflower/Bixie. DGSD is good but just not as good as LOCH. LOCH has all the cool martial arts like 9 Yum Geng Ging and countless cool martial arts from the 5 Greats. Who did the ranking?
    Many fans did. You're not the only wuxia/Jin Yong fan in the world, and your tastes don't dictate everybody else's. I personally like LOCH best myself, but I'm not so full of myself that I think everybody is going to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Many fans did. You're not the only wuxia/Jin Yong fan in the world, and your tastes don't dictate everybody else's. I personally like LOCH best myself, but I'm not so full of myself that I think everybody is going to agree.
    I guess you are right. I agree with you.

Wow. Isn't LOCH rank #1 among JY novels?
    It probably was the most popular of Jin Yong's novels up 'til the '80s or so, but I don't think that many people consider it the best written. It was his first attempt at a long novel, and you can see him starting to attach his own stamp on the wuxia genre as opposed to the Liang Yusheng-ness of his first books.

Nowadays, I think that the best written novel are either the Deer and the Cauldron, State of Divinity, with a minority saying DGSD.

How can SPW and DOMD beat LOCH? DOMD is garbage and SPW has disgusting martial art like Sunflower/Bixie. DGSD is good but just not as good as LOCH. LOCH has all the cool martial arts like 9 Yum Geng Ging and countless cool martial arts from the 5 Greats. Who did the ranking?
    It's based on the quality of the writing, and Jin Yong simply got better at it over the years.

I can agree with this to the degree that the looseness of DGSD makes it harder to establish Duan Yu as the main character. But the main character isn't a function of who the the favorite character is or even who is the best-written. It's a function of who is central to the novel's storyline and themes. Kiu Feng is only party to 2-3 of the main stories while Duan Yu is party to just about all of them. Making Kiu Feng the main protagonist would be to ignore most of what the novel is trying to say and what it's about, and I think that this is where many adaptations drop the ball.

I disagree here. The best adaptation of DGSD ever was the first half of the '82 adaptation, and it's mostly because Kent Tong was amazing as Duan Yu.

Anyone sad that the latest series (which probably finished filming) is on hold?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Anyone sad that the latest series (which probably finished filming) is on hold?
    Frankly, I find that having a new DGSD, LOCH, ROCH and HSDS every 2/3 years is too much.

Gu Long gets no love...
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Frankly, I find that having a new DGSD, LOCH, ROCH and HSDS every 2/3 years is too much.

Gu Long gets no love...
    There is Handsome Siblings.
    Just like the former, this website shows DGSD to be shown on Dec 31, 2020. https://mydramalist.com/32065-demi-g...mi-devils/cast More than 1 year later. Why is Mu Wanqing's role supporting while that of Ah Zi is lead?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    There is Handsome Siblings.
    Just like the former, this website shows DGSD to be shown on Dec 31, 2020. https://mydramalist.com/32065-demi-g...mi-devils/cast More than 1 year later. Why is Mu Wanqing's role supporting while that of Ah Zi is lead?
    probably because A Zi has more story than Mu Wanqing and Azu (appears in story more than those 2 ladies).

upcoming Gu Long drama adaptation also including Happy Heroes (dont know if this one ever adapted into tv series before)