Thread: My Date With a Vampire to return: US entertainment giant promises new series

Default My Date With a Vampire to return: US entertainment giant promises new series

Cult TV show My Date With a Vampire to return: US entertainment giant promises new series, possible movie

Fox Networks Group Asia will produce a TV series and possibly a film after acquiring one-third of the ailing Hong Kong company’s inventory

My Date With A Vampire spanned three seasons from 1998 and featured a romance between vampire Fong Tin-yau and vampire slayer Ma Siu-ling. Photo: SCMP Pictures

ATV’s days might be numbered but its legacy will live on as an American entertainment giant plans to remake some of its classic titles into TV shows and films.
    Fox Networks Group Asia, a subsidiary of 21st Century Fox, will remake ATV’s My Date With A Vampire into a 20-episode TV series and possibly a film, the South China Morning Post has learnt.
    It is understood the fantasy romance title also garnered the interest of Korean TV producers, who are keen on making a series.
    Cora Yim, Fox Networks Group Asia’s head of Chinese entertainment and territory head of Hong Kong, said Fox acquired one-third of ATV’s inventory last year, including 28 drama series totalling more than 850 hours. She declined to disclose how much the deal cost.
    Yim said she was sad to see ATV’s fall. “Despite their limited resources, ATV created a lot of great shows that were not only popular but also trendsetting, such as My Date With A Vampire.
    Spanning three seasons from 1998, the series evolves around a heart-wrenching romance between vampire Fong Tin-yau and vampire slayer Ma Siu-ling, while the two battle evil vampires.

Instead of adopting the conventional image of Chinese vampires, which are in fact hopping zombies, the vampires in the ATV show embody traits found in Western mythologies, but the story blends modern day Hong Kong with Chinese folklore.
    We also hope to cast new faces alongside veteran actors. Hong Kong needs to train more new stars
    CORA YIM
    Unlike rival TVB’s soaps, which are mostly about family affairs and martial arts period dramas, My Date With A Vampire was a breath of fresh air and earned a cult following.
    “ATV had a very talented crew. The show had a very advanced concept and storyline, which came 10 years earlier than Western vampire hits like Twilight andVampire Diaries,” Yim said.
    Yim said shooting was hoped to start this year to coincide with the network’s launch of a new over-the-top broadcasting platform. The budget and cast had not been finalised, she added.
    “We will invest in the special effects, make-up and costumes,” Yim said. “We also hope to cast new faces alongside veteran actors. Hong Kong needs to train more new stars.”

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...giant-promises

What do you think?
    Shall they remake it ?

I am very happy to read this news MDWAV is definitely an ATV classic. In fact, not only ATV, I think it can be considered one of HK TV series classic. Not many HK series can reach cult status where sites are open just for that series, plus many different regional MDWAV weibo account, and where some cast still identify themeselves with the character they play in the series.

The trilogy is not perfect, especially the 3rd one (affected by Joey Meng's injury), but, I applaud Chan 13's breadth of imagination. He incorporated science fiction, mythology, and fantasy from western and eastern region into his series. Which other series can have all these elements in one series.

- time travel
    - non linear timeline
    - chinese mythology figures
    - ghost, demon
    - vampire
    - cyborg/robot
    - cloning
    - false messiah
    - world apocalypse
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I Like it..............
    Hollywood latest movies download online without using torrent

I guess it will be interesting to see a remake and will be something for the next generation to enjoy...