Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Xiao Feng pass on the dog beating stick technique to new Beggar Chief?

Red face Did Xiao Feng pass on the dog beating stick technique to new Beggar Chief?

Hi there, I am new to wuxia and I apologise if this question of whether Xiao Feng passed on the dog beating stick technique to the new Beggar chief before he died has been asked before. I have not finished reading the novel (still waiting on the last chapters of the story to be translated ), however, from what I can gather from browsing this forum on XF, he passed on the dragon palms to XZ, but nothing is mentioned about him passing on the dog beating stick technique to his successor.

From reading the book, I know that when he was evicted from the Beggar Clan, he did not pass on these skills and as dog beating stick technique is passed orally from one clan chief to another I am sure he must have done so, as this technique is featured prominently in LOCH, however, I can find no reference to this.

Can someone help me answer this question? Thanks so much.

Kiu Fung didn't personally pass on the Union Chief's signature martial arts skills to his successor, but the Beggar's Union had a provision for this: there is a Skills Transmission Elder (who also has the double function of providing rewards to Union members who merit them through acts of valorous service to the Union) whose job it is to pass on the Hong Lung 18 Palms and Dog Beating Stick Technique skills to the next Beggar's Union Chief, should the current Union Chief become incapacitated in some way.

Thanks Ken!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Kiu Fung didn't personally pass on the Union Chief's signature martial arts skills to his successor, but the Beggar's Union had a provision for this: there is a Skills Transmission Elder (who also has the double function of providing rewards to Union members who merit them through acts of valorous service to the Union) whose job it is to pass on the Hong Lung 18 Palms and Dog Beating Stick Technique skills to the next Beggar's Union Chief, should the current Union Chief become incapacitated in some way.
    No there wasn't. Must be TVB again

For DGSD JY was silent on this. If such an elder was around XZ wouldn't have needed to do the DP transmission.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    No there wasn't. Must be TVB again
    It wasn't TVB; multiple members of this very forum, some of whom have never even watched a single TVB adaptation, discussed such a position repeatedly.

And for that matter, I, who HAVE watched the 1981 adaptation on numerous occasions, have absolutely no memory of any reference to an elder who passed on the Dog Beating Stick Technique skills. I knew of no such thing until I learned about it from other forum members.

It's fashionable to blame TVB for every misunderstanding, but in this case, the studio had nothing to do with it.

i also never heard about that elder too in the novel, even if he exist , i think its so awkward his name is never revealed and never make an appearance at apricot gathering , and he should be one of the strongest member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It wasn't TVB; multiple members of this very forum, some of whom have never even watched a single TVB adaptation, discussed such a position repeatedly.

And for that matter, I, who HAVE watched the 1981 adaptation on numerous occasions, have absolutely no memory of any reference to an elder who passed on the Dog Beating Stick Technique skills. I knew of no such thing until I learned about it from other forum members.

It's fashionable to blame TVB for every misunderstanding, but in this case, the studio had nothing to do with it.
    If you are talking about this forum, then you should know there was still no consensus as the Chinese character used could double up as kungfu/labour/merit in the novel usage and JY made no such reference to that elder passing on the DBS. JY was totally silent on the whole DBS post XF issue.

If you are talking about this forum, then you should know there was still no consensus as the Chinese character used could double up as kungfu/labour/merit in the novel usage and JY made no such reference to that elder passing on the DBS. JY was totally silent on the whole DBS post XF issue.
    Since he frequently is mentioned alongside the elder who distributes punishment, I always assumed that he's the one that gives merit.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Since he frequently is mentioned alongside the elder who distributes punishment, I always assumed that he's the one that gives merit.
    Yeah it would seem that kung fu transmission wasn't in his job description according to my gut feel when I read the novel.

Still, annoying for how JY ignored the DBS transmission story. Esp. given how in 3rd ed he specifically revised it to allow for the Dragon Palm transmission and even mentioned it specifically during the JY 99 question session at Tsinghua.

Quote Originally Posted by klchh View Post
    Hi there, I am new to wuxia and I apologise if this question of whether Xiao Feng passed on the dog beating stick technique to the new Beggar chief before he died has been asked before. I have not finished reading the novel (still waiting on the last chapters of the story to be translated ), however, from what I can gather from browsing this forum on XF, he passed on the dragon palms to XZ, but nothing is mentioned about him passing on the dog beating stick technique to his successor.

From reading the book, I know that when he was evicted from the Beggar Clan, he did not pass on these skills and as dog beating stick technique is passed orally from one clan chief to another I am sure he must have done so, as this technique is featured prominently in LOCH, however, I can find no reference to this.

Can someone help me answer this question? Thanks so much.
    In the third edition, XF passed on the dog beating stick as well as the dragon palms to XZ - in fact, he passed on the stick technique first:

蕭峯拿過打狗棒來,將棒法要訣説了給他聽。虛竹記性甚好,人又靈悟,且有小無相功根基,“打狗棒法”雖難, 卻也難不過天山折梅手、天山六陽掌等高深武功。虛竹於不懂之處詳細請問,再拿起竹棒試演,蕭峯直教了一個多 時辰,虛竹也就會了。

XF took the stick, and told him the important points of the stick technique. XZ's memory was very good, he was quick to understand, plus he had a foundation of Xiaowushanggong, although the 'dog-beating stick technique' was difficult, it wasn't any more difficult than profound arts like Tianshan Zhemeishou or Tianshan 6 Yang palms. XZ asked carefully about the parts he didn't understand, took up the stick again to demonstrate. XF taught for over two hours, (before) XZ finally acquired it.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I tend to agree with this interpretation. The beggar's clan doesn't have any standard set of martial arts for its members (except for the 'dog beating formation' perhaps?), so if the sole purpose of the elder was to act as a backup for the two premier arts of the clan, he would have nothing whatsoever to do 99.9% of the time!

Plus there is no evidence of the elder in this role during the DGSD or Condor trilogy knowing either of these martial arts - if so, HR would not have to teach Lu Youjiao personally, and it contradicts the often-stated dictum that the chief is the sole inheritor of the dog-beating stick. The first edition of HSDS did have him wielding the dragon palms (but not the stick), but that has long been deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post

蕭峯拿過打狗棒來,將棒法要訣説了給他聽。虛竹記性甚好,人又靈悟,且有小無相功根基,“打狗棒法”雖難, 卻也難不過天山折梅手、天山六陽掌等高深武功。虛竹於不懂之處詳細請問,再拿起竹棒試演,蕭峯直教了一個多 時辰,虛竹也就會了。

Hi, which online source (presumably? or u copied it direct from text) did you get this from. It is strangely missing from my electronic version of 3rd ed. Last chapter right?

Hi, which online source (presumably? or u copied it direct from text) did you get this from. It is strangely missing from my electronic version of 3rd ed. Last chapter right?
    This passage is in both my printed copy and the ebook I copy & pasted from, in chapter 50. Sounds like your copy is missing some text!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    In the third edition, XF passed on the dog beating stick as well as the dragon palms to XZ - in fact, he passed on the stick technique first:

XF took the stick, and told him the important points of the stick technique. XZ's memory was very good, he was quick to understand, plus he had a foundation of Xiaowushanggong, although the 'dog-beating stick technique' was difficult, it wasn't any more difficult than profound arts like Tianshan Zhemeishou or Tianshan 6 Yang palms. XZ asked carefully about the parts he didn't understand, took up the stick again to demonstrate. XF taught for over two hours, (before) XZ finally acquired it.
    thanks for the translation , very informative for a people who dont know chinese language like me .
    what make XZ become so clever suddenly, i maen he was not talent in martial arts, he live in shaolin for 20+ years and at least learnt shaolin martial arts for about 10+ years, yet only learnt 2 most basic shaolin foundation skill (louhan fist/long fist and skanda palm) and not any of the 72 shaolin advance skills.
    then he learnt high level xiao yao sect martial arts by tianshan tonglao for a mere 3 months , and dog beating staff technique for only 2+ hours . these facts were really contradict

XZ? That's interesting. Then XZ transfer the skills to ...

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    XZ? That's interesting. Then XZ transfer the skills to ...
    JY did write about this. Years later, a promising beggar sect disciple was identified and sent to XZ. XZ tested him and deemed him worthy and passed the skills to him. The guy was unnamed.

does the third edition said xiao feng is what generation of beggar sect chief?

JY did write about this. Years later, a promising beggar sect disciple was identified and sent to XZ. XZ tested him and deemed him worthy and passed the skills to him. The guy was unnamed.
    If Jin Yong had wanted to, he could have identified him as a teenaged Hung 7.

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    does the third edition said xiao feng is what generation of beggar sect chief?
    a_t, here's some write-up. http://wiki.mywuxia.com/index.php/Beggars_Clan According to it, XF is No. 6.

OT: Sorry to hijack this thread for another Beggar Sect's skill: Eighteen Dragon Subduing Palms.
    Anyone knows this skill after GJ? Let me know if there is a thread on this. ZZR will have the manual for this.