Thread: Which Jinyong wuxia novel is best suitable to be filmed as aired in hollywood?

Default Which Jinyong wuxia novel is best suitable to be filmed as aired in hollywood?

Jinyong been long seen as Tolkien of the east but none of his works been properly and very very seriously filmed with international quality and carefully casted to match standards like "lord of the rings"

In commercial, artistic and social value? Which novel of Jinyong will be the best to be filmed with top international standard..with

-Top quality screenplay.
    -Top historically accurate wardrobe.
    -Carefully chosen cast.
    -With provoking issue that arouse western audience.
    -Complex but good plot.

Personally, I find "Tian Long Ba Bu"the best.

Firstly for screenplay, it had great screenplay of different locations like Dali, Song empire, Khitan and etc.

For wardrobe, if its meticulously and accurate made. It will be a good attarctive point.
    Good example of oscars awarding films with wardrobe related: Gandhi, The last emperor, Crouching dragon hidden Dragon and Lincoln

Cast is crucial.

For issue... TIan Long tackled one big issue that reflects america: Racism. Qiao Feng seen like a barbarian. And suffered racism. In the end, he died to prove his innocence. Duan Yu is not a Han so seen as a foreign race. The only main stream race that support them is XuZhu: a true blue Han chinese.

To exaggerately put in western concept, Qiao Feng is like a Barbarian, Duan Yu a elf. While Xu Zhu just a peasant.

Even in the west, Barbarians faced lots of discrimination during ancient europe times.

If the script is carefully written, cast carefully chosen and a good director chosen.. It may shock western audience.

Banned

Thanks for bringing this up. My top JY adaptation is HSDS '09. Even then that has really cringe-worthy settings & CGI. I've always wanted to see a good quality ROCH adaptation. The YZ 2015 version doesn't cut it, which is why I'll always like the Japanese anime version until something better comes along.

As for TLBB, I enjoyed the 2013 version. But it can't ever be aired in the West, b/c the quality still isn't up to par with Western TV productions (not the story of course, but the technical adaptation of it).

But supposing China hired a Japanese company to produce TLBB, I can very much see it as a big hit in the West, much like how the Japanese Journey to The West was a big hit in the UK and Astroboy in the US, even though the former had horrendous English dubbing.
    Last edited by hirobo2; 03-30-16 at 01:14 PM.

IF you it gonna be filmed in movie oscar standard.

We should drop out all the eastern standard much. Also we shouldnt used the drama as benchmark.
    Its not easy to make another oscar winning martial arts movie like Crouching tiger hidden dragon.

The target audience is the west for this case, not asia. So we need to see things very different. Movie version is shorter. The longest will only be a 3 parts trilogy.

YOu brought a very good point on the japanese company. A good oscar winning martial arts movie is not just about CGI.
    Look at crouching tiger hidden dragon, not much CGI but yet it won so many oscars.

I see the west usually like their movie tackle social issues like leadership, gay rights, women rights, freedom of a nation, racism and etc.

If you observed all the best pictures winners of past winners. They always touched one or two of those issues above.

Even the disney's mulan is done based on women's right and women's freedom of expression.

I see the condor heroes trilogy are too weak in this area. I believe the west wont buy the idea of the story of Yang Guo.

I think China will rather hire the koreans or the european to do the CGI part than the Japanese.
    But i think realistic and top quality choreography will play a more crucial role which Hollywood favors more.

We need to be western audience orientated if wanna film an oscar worthy Jinyong movie.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by duguq_bai View Post
    The target audience is the west for this case, not asia. So we need to see things very different. Movie version is shorter. The longest will only be a 3 parts trilogy.
    Already done. STAR WARS is Western Jin Yong. It exists in 3 parts series.

I see the west usually like their movie tackle social issues like leadership, gay rights, women rights, freedom of a nation, racism and etc.
    Very true. Exactly why Zhang Wuji is a girl as Rey in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

I see the condor heroes trilogy are too weak in this area. I believe the west wont buy the idea of the story of Yang Guo.
    Story of Yang Guo is the strongest Jin Yong work and has already been adapted --- the story of Luke (Yang Guo) redeeming fallen father Anakin/Darth Vader (Yang Kang) in the original Star Wars trilogy.

I think China will rather hire the koreans or the european to do the CGI part than the Japanese.
    Europe maybe, but Korea has no known market footing in the West, unlike Japanese media. Korea is best known for things like Samsung/LG, but Western ppl have a hard time identifying Korea with movies.

We need to be western audience orientated if wanna film an oscar worthy Jinyong movie.
    TLBB is my 2nd favorite Jin Yong work after Return of the Condor Heroes. Trust me on this one, STAR WARS Episodes X-XII will be Western adaptation of TLBB!!

Rey's hairstyle in The Force Awakens:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://assets5.cutegirlshairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/MG_1110.jpg')

The above is ancient Chinese-like hairstyle!

Btw, for hemisphere so identified with women's rights, equality, and such, I'm disgusted by the things the West produces. For instance, STAR WARS IS Western Jin Yong, but there's not a single trace of a Chinese/Asian person that stars in it, save for some ambiguous Asian pilot of an insignificant aircraft. As an Asian person, I don't find any appeal in the STAR WARS franchise... It almost like making a Journey to the West where all the actors/actresses are White and Black boys/girls...

But that's not the real reason for my dislike of STAR WARS. It's that watching the cinematography in it is like watching paint dry. I've seen better cinematography elsewhere in Chinese/Japanese/Korean movies...
    Last edited by hirobo2; 03-31-16 at 06:58 PM.

Star Wars is too symbolical in characters.

Im saying.. filming Qiao Feng as Qiao Feng himself, Duan Yu as Duan Yu, Xu Zhu as Xu Zhu himself.. no changing them into a cyborg, a personified animal character and etc.

Maybe you have not FULLY understand what i wrote or meant. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Tiger is the best example. Its taken straightly from a Wuxia novel, rewrite the novel into a shorten movie script. And even won many oscars.

Neh...i dont believe those star wars representation of jinyong works. Too farfetched.

We need soild directors like Ang Lee and John Woo and great choreographers like Yuen Woo Ping to produce another oscar-worthy martial arts film that directly taken from Jinyong books.

We need to put our eastern values aside. Disgusted by their things produces will always be a stumbling block in the soul and mind.
    So far I find Ang Lee is one of the most daring Asian directors. He even dare to film a gay themed film like Brokeback mountain that many conservative, rigid thinking asian filmmaker will find it a taboo.
    Asian first film that received multiple awards from Europe was "Farewell my concubine" starred, Leslie Cheung and Zhang Fengyi. It also tackle gay issues.

The topic here is which novel of JInyong can be directly used and rewritten to fit into a single film or a trilogy series.
    I find TLBB will be a good one.

Qiao Feng's and Xu Zhu's story are good to explode. Duan Yu's story may not attarct western audience. (Remember to put eastern values and point of view aside and see the western audiences point of view if you want to win an oscar. This is a hard TRUTH!!!)
    Thats why i see Duan Yu's story should minimize but maximize on Qiao Feng's story. Especially the battle versus his mother race and his foster race. The discrimination he faced. Xu Zhu will be a good character to put in as hes represented from the foster race.

Too many filmmaker like Zhang Yimou and etc failed to win an oscar or recognition like Ang Lee and John Woo because they are too stubborn into drilling Chinese's value's without considering western audience's taste and preferences.
    Its like wooing a girl but you keep drilling your own values only. Too many asian filmmaker are "charvunistic" in that way.

After so many factors, thats why i see TLBB had the potential to be filmed in an oscar worthy film if had the right scriptwriter, right film director, right martial arts choreographer, right cast and right costume/props/sets designer.

Banned

Neh...i dont believe those star wars representation of jinyong works. Too farfetched.
    In what other work do you find a giant bird (Heavenly Sword & Dragon Saber is technically still part of Condor Heroes trilogy, which is why Millennium Falcon [ie. the giant bird] is in Force Awakens), a Dragon Saber (literally fire-breathing red-bladed sword), a Heavenly Sword (blue lightsaber) that fell from the sky [from its previous owner's chopped of hand, ie. Luke Skywalker], a powerful, but old-man-like figure like Zhang Sanfeng (old Luke Skywalker), two halves of a secret map to something/someone, an orphan protagonist (Rey) whose parents died before she became an adult, and a metrosexual male version of Zhou Zhiruo (Kylo Ren)?

Btw, STAR WARS has won many oscars. Even though many have said Force Awakens has a terrible storyline, the music still got nominated for an oscar!

Btw, I know what you are trying to get at, but I'm afraid Jin Yong work (un-altered) will never reach the West. Hollywood does not want the general public to find out STAR WARS is based on Jin Yong. They will do everything possible in their power to prevent Jin Yong from garnering attention in Western audience, except for their version, which is STAR WARS...

Lastly, since each Jin Yong work is only allowed 3 movies in Star Wars, they ignored the story of Guo Jing, but focussed on the story of Yang Kang/Yang Guo in the original trilogy. We may never get to see "Golden Hair Lion" in Disney's version of HSDS b/c the time does not permit it, but Cheng Kun, yes, b/c Snoke is Cheng Kun.

Hence, possible in Disney's version of TLBB (SW Episodes X-XII), they might only focus on story of Duan Yu and/or Xiao Feng while ignore the third protagonist b/c the time does not permitted. But still, I would be happy with just the story of Duan Yu, b/c DY is my fav char in TLBB...
    Last edited by hirobo2; 03-31-16 at 10:03 PM.

Banned

oops, wrong thread...
    Last edited by hirobo2; 04-06-16 at 04:01 AM.