Thread: Legend of the Condor Heroes 2017 《射雕英雄传》 - Yang Xu Wen, Li Yi Tong, Chen Xing Xu

Quote Originally Posted by luna_lucid View Post
    Btw, IIRC, OYF should have the map of Touhua island, given by HYS as a token of 'appreciation' for coming to propose HR. In this version, did he have it? I thought that he used that map to get in, but here, it was Shagu who let him in.
    Thanks
    Yes, the map was given to OYK in one of the episodes. Shagu's job was to lurk the Freaks to the tomb.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Yes, the map was given to OYK in one of the episodes. Shagu's job was to lurk the Freaks to the tomb.
    Yup, Sha Gu let him into the island, but he'd still be completely lost in the island, unable to navigate his way to the tomb and back to the boat, without the map. I think the other adaptations also mention how Sha Gu saw them arrive and let them in.

----------
    Last edited by luna_lucid; 05-11-22 at 05:19 AM.

LOL The LOCH 2017 to Monkey King (Journey To The West) music (and others)!

Another funny video.

Last edited by Don Yu; 03-30-17 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    click to show/hide spoilers

1. In this version, Nan Xiren got poisoned because Zhu Cong, who was poisoned, wounded him and scratched his arm, transferring the poison over to him. That's why both Nan Xiren and Han Xiaoying (who was also injured by Zhu Cong) died with snake venom markings all over their bodies. Technically, we don't see Zhu Cong get bitten, we just see Ouyang Feng palm him, but Huang Rong's narration indicates that it was snake venom which kills him. I'm surprised that Han Xiaoying's venom still managed to spread all over her despite her suicide - she still looks normal when she slits her throat, so the poison must be one which still spreads across the body when the host is dead. Huang Rong calls Nan Xiren the "second shark", Yang Kang the "third shark", and Sha Tongtian the "fourth shark". In the novel, and in LOCH 83, Yang Kang is the "second shark". Of course, in this version, Nan Xiren's tongue is uninjured, and before he dies does manage to strain out a couple of "Jing Er"s. Why he didn't just say "Yang Kang" remains a plothole.

2. During the flashback, when Yang Kang is stuffing the jewels into Zhu Cong's clothing, Zhu Cong's arm gently falls and brushes Yang Kang's chest. In that moment, with his dying breath, he pickpocketed him.

I have no idea why they did the deaths this way, though - surely the way Zhu Cong, Han Xiaoying and Nan Xiren looked it was obvious that it was Ouyang Feng? Had Huang Rong never seen a snake poison victim before? Maybe it's more subtle in the novel (because Nan Xiren, at the very least, did indeed die of snake venom) but in this adaptation, snake venom victims look as obvious as the Joker's victims, and only someone blind couldn't tell that the three freaks died of snake venom. The only explanation is that nobody had ever seen a snake venom victim before, and I can't really remember any instance of anyone really dying from snake venom in LOCH prior to this scene, I guess.

One thing I DID like about this scene was that it was Han Baoju who wrote the unfinished word instead of Zhu Cong, and that he did it after seeing Ouyang Feng unmasked - because this means he really was writing "West", which was misinterpreted as "East". Going by LOCH 83 (and the novel too, although it's less obvious), when Zhu Cong wrote it, he technically didn't really know that it was Ouyang Feng behind the mask, and hence was probably REALLY writing "East". That would have made the entire clue redundant.

Ian (and Luna etc too after Ian's reply), thanks a lot. Okay, that makes more sense now... although I also agree it raises questions, and I agree about your reasoning, about the

click to show/hide spoilers
    snake bite diagnosis.

And yes, Nan Xiren still having his tongue intact yet he didn't say YK's name doesn't make sense. Unless the poison was so potent that it reduced his auditory capacity to say the most important thing out loud.

Last edited by Icha Parvati; 03-30-17 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    1. Han Xiaoying has always killed herself in the novel and in other adaptations (other than in LOCH 82 when she takes a palm from Ouyang Feng to the back. The only reason they did that was because Bun Bun had left TVB for ATV, and they couldn't possibly film her suicide without showing her face, and so they got a girl to stand in for her, hid her face as much as possible, and had her get killed in a quick exchange without ever showing her face - at least not directly, you can see glimpses and recognise that it's not Bun Bun). This is the only adaptation where she's poisoned, so it's not the poison which makes her do so. It's the despair and hopelessness of the situation, although it's rather uncharacteristic of her - I would have expected her to fight to her last breath and buy as much time as possible for Nan Xiren and Ke Zhener to flee.

2. Huang Rong says "the snake bit him" so there was probably a snake hidden in the sleeve, or maybe he had a snake on the floor biting his toes as the camera focused on the palm hitting the chest...

3. It was a deliberate part of the plan, so that the news will spread far and wide as to Huang Yaoshi's atrocities.

Okay, now I got it... thanks.

1. Interesting, I just knew about this :P .
    3. Just wanna add a little. Yeah, it was a spontaneous idea from YK. YK is supposed to be a very smart and cunning character, with his level of intelligence is on par with HR, more than OYF. In this version, I think the situation was somewhat similar with the part when he left GJ's dagger to frame him for murder(although perhaps he already thought of how to get rid of OYK for quite some time). So in only a short moment, he could think of a plan and measured the impact for his future's benefit(pls cmiiw though)

Btw, IIRC, OYF should have the map of Touhua island, given by HYS as a token of 'appreciation' for coming to propose HR. In this version, did he have it? I thought that he used that map to get in, but here, it was Shagu who let him in.

Thanks
    Luna, YK's idea of putting the blame on HYS, was that in this series, or in the novel? I thought it was always in the plan between YK and OYF to blame HYS on the massacre?

----------
    Last edited by luna_lucid; 05-11-22 at 05:24 AM.

Regarding the idea to kill the Freaks and put the blame on HYS, I kinda forgot whether it was YK or HYS's idea. IIRC, they didnt know that they were going to meet the Freaks in the island, so they should plan it at the time they arrived there. Pls CMIIW, perhaps others remember this better than me
    To think about it, I have also totally forgotten why the Freaks go to Peach Blossom Island. Is it to inform HYS that GJ has told them that OYF is the killer of Tan priest? And also if it is YK's idea, why is he so confident that the Freaks will go to visit HYS?

Yes, thanks Wkeej, I have been wanting to ask this, but kept forgetting it.

So, why did The Freaks go to Taohua in this version? And their reason in the novel? Just to say hi to HYS seems a bit too...cumbersome?

Or was it exactly to say hi to HYS and apologies to him now that GJ couldn't marry HR due to his earlier engagement?

----------
    Last edited by luna_lucid; 05-11-22 at 05:24 AM.

Well made video!

Hmmmmmmm ..IIRC, the reason for the Freaks coming to Touhua island has something to do with the conflict between HYS and the Quanzhen (regarding the death of Tan). I forgot the detail, though *lol* ..perhaps they wanted to be the peacemaker/ to warn HYS. I need to check the novel
    Yes they want to resolve a misunderstanding between Huang YaoShi and QuanZhen, which is resolved in the following episode.

The show climbed to the top spot in popularity on Iqiyi for costume drama.

Thanks for the reason for the freaks going to taohua. Seems to have forgotten all these.
    1. Why yk know that they will be going to taohua.
    2. Who deliver the letter to hys thatgj left hr alone resulting hys going to find her daughter?
    3. Why didn't gj and hr go with the freaks?
    4. How does the 8mth15 day concern hys?

----------
    Last edited by luna_lucid; 05-11-22 at 05:23 AM.

----------

there is a ranking list on the side

left is "weekly most watched"
    right is "most popular costume drama"

http://www.iqiyi.com/lib/m_211839914.html

1. YK didn't know. He knew when he arrived at the island
    2. Was there a letter like that ? In which part/episode ? I forgot
    3. Do you mean 'why gj and hr didn't go with the freaks to Taohua island' ? In the novel, GJ-HR were going to find Yideng in order to cure HR's injury. When they came back, the teachers were already killed. I dunno the reason in this version, since GJ did meet up with the Freaks before they died.
    4. Dunno about this too. In which part of the story is this ?
    Thanks. I think I will re-watch and then report.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Thanks for the reason for the freaks going to taohua. Seems to have forgotten all these.
    1. Why yk know that they will be going to taohua.
    2. Who deliver the letter to hys thatgj left hr alone resulting hys going to find her daughter?
    3. Why didn't gj and hr go with the freaks?
    4. How does the 8mth15 day concern hys?
    I re-watched the parts in Ep 43 and 44. This is what I gathered.
    The Seven Freaks went to Taohua Island on their own initiative. They heard of the conflict between HYS and Quanzhen. They plan to visit HYS to see if they can help to defuse the situation.
    1. YK only plan for GJ to go back to Taohua Island. But this is not revealed what he is going to do. In short, I think he does not know that the Freaks are going to Taohua. You are right, luna.
    2. It is shown that a "dumb" servant of HYS informed HYS about this - GJ left with HZ to Mongolia, leaving HR alone at "Drunken Inn". But it was not revealed how the "dumb" servant know this news. Possibly another plan by YK.
    3. Because he has to go and meet HZ and leave for Mongolia on 8mth6day.
    4. It seems that it does not concern hys. But he went to look for HR at the Drunken Inn and meet Quanzhen there and started fighting.

So what is YK's initial plan? Lurk HYS out of Peach Blossom Island. And kill GJ and HR. And then ??
    Last edited by wkeej; 03-30-17 at 11:12 AM.