Page 16 of 150 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Legend of the Condor Heroes 2017 《射雕英雄传》 - Yang Xu Wen, Li Yi Tong, Chen Xing Xu

I agree with you, Jianghu, i mean, Riverlake (I like your name, btw!)...on GJ/HR characters. I'm more interested in watching the veterans, but i also am willing to wait and see...

Does anyone know where we can watch it? How do we watch through iQiyi or whatever that is? Does Viki plan to sub it?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Riverlake View Post
    Li Yitong is 26, but watching the videos you'd think she was 13. She is certainly sweet, and will probably be the next Yang Mi, but how can you tell me this will be a darker series, when your main female lead acts like she's a Japanese school girl, especially in the second video? I know this is a new aesthetic in China, one targeting the younger generation who grew up with Japanese animation and Korean drama, and sure it might be successful as a fresh take on an old story, but honestly, Huang Rong is not an all sugar character. She has a dark, manipulative side, one that doesn't fit Li Yitong's image at all, but I guess we'll see.

Yang Xu Wen's Guo Jing has a similar problem. Guo Jing is supposed to have had a hard early life in Mongolia, and eventually becomes a patriot hero 大英雄, and while he is often seen as cute, that's because he is honest to a fault and kind of dumb, not because he is a pretty boy - that's more Zhang Wuji's style. In fact looking at Yang Xu Wen, I just can't see how he'll act out the heroic, patriotic side of Guo Jing - the stoic man's man who Li Yaping portrayed almost perfectly in 2003. Guo Jing is supposed to be a tough dude, strong of arm and heart. Yang Xu Wen has big shoes to fill.

Now, they do fit as a couple, but I fear it's only because they are both way too cute for their characters. This is probably the prettiest Huang Rong Guo Jing couple I have ever seen, similar to how Liu Yifei's Xiaolongnu in 2006 set a standard for that character. But that isn't necessarily praise. The 2003 version is widely regarded as the best of the recent runs, and perhaps even the best of all the runs, not because the actors and actresses were so fine looking, but because they were cast well. Li Yaping looked like a dumb, naive, but also strong, honest, and loyal dude. Zhou Xun looked like a cunning, high energy girl who also had a temper, and was given to manipulation and jealousy. From what I've seen so far of the 2017 version, the lead actor and actress are not nearly as well cast. They might be able to portray one aspect of their characters well - Huang Rong's cute & sweet side, and Guo Jing's dumb & naive side - but I'm worried about the other aspects - Huang Rong's jealousy & manipulation, Guo Jing's heroic masculinity, which are just as important to their characters.

I'm getting the vibes that this LOCH will be the "teenage sugar edition" with Michael Miu stuck in just to appease the older fans. I've watched the 2003 version and that was probably the best Mainland China Jin Young adaptation (any of his works) to date, including this year!

Li Yitong is 26, but watching the videos you'd think she was 13. She is certainly sweet, and will probably be the next Yang Mi, but how can you tell me this will be a darker series, when your main female lead acts like she's a Japanese school girl, especially in the second video? I know this is a new aesthetic in China, one targeting the younger generation who grew up with Japanese animation and Korean drama, and sure it might be successful as a fresh take on an old story, but honestly, Huang Rong is not an all sugar character. She has a dark, manipulative side, one that doesn't fit Li Yitong's image at all, but I guess we'll see.

Yang Xu Wen's Guo Jing has a similar problem. Guo Jing is supposed to have had a hard early life in Mongolia, and eventually becomes a patriot hero 大英雄, and while he is often seen as cute, that's because he is honest to a fault and kind of dumb, not because he is a pretty boy - that's more Zhang Wuji's style. In fact looking at Yang Xu Wen, I just can't see how he'll act out the heroic, patriotic side of Guo Jing - the stoic man's man who Li Yaping portrayed almost perfectly in 2003. Guo Jing is supposed to be a tough dude, strong of arm and heart. Yang Xu Wen has big shoes to fill.

Now, they do fit as a couple, but I fear it's only because they are both way too cute for their characters. This is probably the prettiest Huang Rong Guo Jing couple I have ever seen, similar to how Liu Yifei's Xiaolongnu in 2006 set a standard for that character. But that isn't necessarily praise. The 2003 version is widely regarded as the best of the recent runs, and perhaps even the best of all the runs, not because the actors and actresses were so fine looking, but because they were cast well. Li Yaping looked like a dumb, naive, but also strong, honest, and loyal dude. Zhou Xun looked like a cunning, high energy girl who also had a temper, and was given to manipulation and jealousy. From what I've seen so far of the 2017 version, the lead actor and actress are not nearly as well cast. They might be able to portray one aspect of their characters well - Huang Rong's cute & sweet side, and Guo Jing's dumb & naive side - but I'm worried about the other aspects - Huang Rong's jealousy & manipulation, Guo Jing's heroic masculinity, which are just as important to their characters.
    Interesting write-up, Riverlake. Besides Barbara (which IP will totally agree), I also like Zhou Xun's portrayal as HR. I fully agree that "Yang Xu Wen has big shoes to fill" which has been discussed in this thread. Anyway, as in everything, we will have to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    Does anyone know where we can watch it? How do we watch through iQiyi or whatever that is? Does Viki plan to sub it?
    Don't worry. wuxiarocks has also noted in this thread that he/she will post the videos here for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by hirobo2 View Post
    I'm getting the vibes that this LOCH will be the "teenage sugar edition" with Michael Miu stuck in just to appease the older fans. I've watched the 2003 version and that was probably the best Mainland China Jin Young adaptation (any of his works) to date, including this year!
    Looks like you are right.
    To-date, I have watched the Barbara and Zhou Xun's versions. Both are equally good.
    We know that IP is watching because of Michael.
    Initially, I has noted that I will not be watching because the story-line is basically the same. But since wuxiarocks has agreed to post the videos, I will at least watch the first three/four episodes to have a feel. wuxiarocks did a great job for the latest DGSD. I watched the full series though having watched earlier versions (Kent Tong, Jimmy Lin). So I may end up watching this full 2017 version.
    Will you be watching, hirobo2? How's about the old forumers like Ken, PJ, TC? Will you guys be watching?
    Last edited by wkeej; 01-05-17 at 10:50 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Looks like you are right.
    To-date, I have watched the Barbara and Zhou Xun's versions. Both are equally good.
    We know that IP is watching because of Michael.
    Initially, I has noted that I will not be watching because the story-line is basically the same. But since wuxiarocks has agreed to post the videos, I will at least watch the first three/four episodes to have a feel. wuxiarocks did a great job for the latest DGSD. I watched the full series though having watched earlier versions (Kent Tong, Jimmy Lin). So I may end up watching this full 2017 version.
    Will you be watching, hirobo2? How's about the old forumers like Ken, PJ, TC? Will you guys be watching?
    I can't remember if it was wuxiarocks who posted the links, but I did watch DGSD 2013 entirely from the YT vids in one of the posts in that thread... Well, I might as well watch first few episodes of LOCH 2017 to see how it goes, since I have been following this thread since its inception.

(BTW, does any one know? Wuxiarocks now has his own blog over at Wordpress. His first post... LOCH 2017!)
    Last edited by hirobo2; 01-05-17 at 12:38 PM.

I don't understand the complaints, the acting seems really good, to me. It's on Youtube!!!

Older video of Li Yi Tong cooking!

Where are the MVs???

I think it's just what the studio wanted to promote. Cute and sweet Haung Rong, that is. Don't worry. They just didn't show all the scenes where she is darker, yet.

I am NOT sure if any person from that studio is on this forum, but you might want to send them an email or communicate in the appropriate forum if you want them to show you something darker.
    Last edited by Don Yu; 01-05-17 at 02:00 PM.

Banned

Official poster. Has this pic been posted b4?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FSjGsuDK2x0/WG4LXo3qYVI/AAAAAAAAjNE/MLOe9nYYI9c3aSUZRaqnWPcAE1C_hbLGgCLcB/s1600/Condor%2B116.jpg')

I've seen this poster.

This show air just in 3-4 days. And that music/song from the trailer is SO very good.

I really hope they release the MVs soon!

I can't remember if it was wuxiarocks who posted the links, but I did watch DGSD 2013 entirely from the YT vids in one of the posts in that thread... Well, I might as well watch first few episodes of LOCH 2017 to see how it goes, since I have been following this thread since its inception.

(BTW, does any one know? Wuxiarocks now has his own blog over at Wordpress. His first post... LOCH 2017!)
    Taken a look at the blog. A good start I will say.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yu View Post
    I think it's just what the studio wanted to promote. Cute and sweet Haung Rong, that is. Don't worry. They just didn't show all the scenes where she is darker, yet.
    Care to explain the "darker" side of HR? To me, she is cute, sweet and pretty and good in cooking and RICH. A "perfect" wife in theory.

I have checked Wuxia Rocks' wordpress. Looking forward to it, particularly if he's going to do episode recaps. I will do that too, but I won't do justice compared to some folks here.

And yes, it seems very few senior actors came to the press conference yesterday, if any. Definitely no Michael Miu or Ray Lui, which is a disappointment, for it's true that I am watching this series mostly because of the veterans (particularly Michael).

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/omT6ZeN.jpg')

Anyhoooo... these are the four main stars:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/2qlQ1XS.jpg')

Official poster. Has this pic been posted b4?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FSjGsuDK2x0/WG4LXo3qYVI/AAAAAAAAjNE/MLOe9nYYI9c3aSUZRaqnWPcAE1C_hbLGgCLcB/s1600/Condor%2B116.jpg')
    Seen this one as well, but it hadn't been posted before your post, so thanks.

here's another one, more like a banner, that I like:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/aRMThGu.jpg')

I love this scene below in the 2nd trailer where Daddy Miu, I mean, HYS was annoyed that his beloved daughter was crying over the silly boy GJ who was about to break her heart...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/B2aFXWV.png')

and this is spoilers, but since everyone can see the 2nd trailer anyway...

click to show/hide spoilers

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/lMmLIh9.png')

at least MNC will be there when YK dies... and it won't be like the 2008 version...(cos YK is obviously poisoned there).

Unless that's Ouyang Ke... but I doubt it...
    Last edited by Icha Parvati; 01-05-17 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Don't worry. wuxiarocks has also noted in this thread that he/she will post the videos here for all of us.
    SO looking forward to it!! I'm not keen on trying to crack how iQIYI works with my non-existent, google-translate-assisted, Chinese...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yu View Post
    I don't understand the complaints, the acting seems really good, to me. It's on Youtube!!!

Thank you, Don Yu!

So... about the photo that I put under the spoiler tag above...

I gather that YK's death will more likely be like the 1983 version, with MNC by his side. Though, judging from MNC's stance, I'm not sure if she was actually still angry with him or not at that stage...

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    So... about the photo that I put under the spoiler tag above...

I gather that YK's death will more likely be like the 1983 version, with MNC by his side. Though, judging from MNC's stance, I'm not sure if she was actually still angry with him or not at that stage...
    Can't remember well. In the 1983 version, he died because he "touched" HR's poisonous vest? Actually, why is he and HR fighting? Any idea whether this is the novel version too?