Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mystic Nine/Old Nine Gates 2016

Banned

Default The Mystic Nine/Old Nine Gates 老九门 2016 - William Chan, Zhang Yi Xing, Ying Hao Ming

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/The_Mystic_Nine

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XgLhKjUIx84/V7fPTNf4IdI/AAAAAAAABd4/ReEuiEEb0O4VKtI-C2e06dyUyaGHRstLACLcB/s1600/mn.webp')

Details
    Title: 老九门 / Lao Jiu Men
    English title: The Mystic Nine
    Also known as: Old Nine Gates
    Genre: Mystery, war
    Episodes: 48
    Broadcast network: iQIYi
    Broadcast period: 2016-Jul-04
    Related show: The Lost Tomb (2015)

Synopsis

The drama is a prequel to The Lost Tomb in which the story focuses on the exploits of the nine grave robbing families in the 1940s. With the help of his friends Fortune Teller Qi Tie Jue and Opera Singer Er Yue Tou, General Zhang Qi Shan entered into a strange mine to discover a mysterious ancient tomb. After many untold dangers, he uncovered a Japanese plot to kill the residents of Changsha city. The men banded together to stop the Japanese's plot, thereby saving their city.

Cast
    William Chan as Zhang Qi Shan
    Zhang Yi Xing as Er Yue Tou
    Ying Hao Ming as Qi Tie Jue
    Zhao Li Ying as Yi Xin Yue
    Yuan Bing Yan (袁冰妍) as Ya Tou
    Hu Geng Hao (胡耘豪) as Chen Pi A Si
    Wang Chuang (王闯) as Lu Jian Xun
    Huo Jin Xi (霍锦惜) as Wang Mei Ren
    Zhang Ming En (张铭恩) as Zhang Fu Guan
    Yang Zi Jiang (杨紫茳) as Jie Jiu Ye
    Huang Zi Xi (黄梓熙)
    Production Credits
    Original writing (novel): Dao Mu Bi Ji (盜墓筆記) Grave Robbers' Chronicle by Nan Pai San Shu
    Producers: Zhang Yu Xin 张语芯, Li Guo Hua 林国华、 Bai Yi Cong 白一骢
    Directors: Liang Sheng Quan 梁胜权, He Shu Pei 何澍培, Huang Jun Wen 黄俊文
    Last edited by hirobo2; 08-19-16 at 11:49 PM.

Banned

Trailer:

Watching this one atm~ It's pretty good ZLY's fan girl character is adorable and the plot is interesting too

I am watching this show and I am also enjoying it. I actually don't like Er Yue Hong..glad his wife is now dead cause she wasn't very interesting. Actually, Er Yue Hong is not that interesting either, but seems like he has a good backstory---or at least his family. Sorry (not sorry). William Chan looks sooooo good in this show. Normally, I think he's attractive but not anything special, but...wow. And he looks really good with ZLY. I am really looking forward to seeing the rest of the story and characters.
    I like me.

Banned

This show had me hooked from the beginning. I'm now up to Ep 08. Seems to be a "TV version" of the kick-arse Mojin: The Lost Legend movie. My only gripe, they didn't hire any Japanese to play Japanese characters d/t budget constraint, but this can be overlooked.

(P.S.: The best part of Mojin was when the main hero grabbed that naughty real Japanese girl's neck like he was going to wring a "chicken's neck"...)

I watched this show from the beginningas well and it makes ne anticipating each episode. I like the premise abd also the thing tgat the love realtionships only play a small part in this drama as it focuses more on the friendship abd the mystery behind that tomb. I pretty much like all characters except for the american guy and the japanese girl. I even think that lu guy is amusing. I kinda find chen pi interesting. I wonder if he will turn good in the end. As for zhang qishan; I pretty like his character. William chan looks awesome in uniform. Zhang yixing is quite different as er yuehong. But although his story arc so far was kinda boring .i thibj it will turn more and more interesting now regarding the tomb. The same goes to qi tie zui.

Banned

One of few good shows I've watched in a long time. Better than the crap called Sailor Moon Crystal, ew...
    Last edited by hirobo2; 08-15-16 at 11:53 PM.

The white guy is really annoying to me. He rolls his eyes sooooo much! Also, why is a supposed American working with the Japanese in this time period? Can a history person explain? The way he talks is also odd to me and I can't even understand.

As for the other villians :: sigh:: the Lu guy and Huo San Niang have obviously fake faces. They're not truly unbearable with Chen Pi (who i really like despite being cruel). But I'm really bothered that the white guy is so prominent right now and calls a lot of the shots. I specifically watch Azn dramas so that I can escape white ppl on American TV.

Er Yue Hong is not that interesting lol. I have yet to see how he is uber powerful and intimidating. I am not swayed but his supposed prettiness lol

oh yeahhhhhhh, how come Xin Yue's younger cousin looks older than her? Must be close in age, I guess..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    The white guy is really annoying to me. He rolls his eyes sooooo much! Also, why is a supposed American working with the Japanese in this time period? Can a history person explain? The way he talks is also odd to me and I can't even understand.

As for the other villians :: sigh:: the Lu guy and Huo San Niang have obviously fake faces. They're not truly unbearable with Chen Pi (who i really like despite being cruel). But I'm really bothered that the white guy is so prominent right now and calls a lot of the shots. I specifically watch Azn dramas so that I can escape white ppl on American TV.

Er Yue Hong is not that interesting lol. I have yet to see how he is uber powerful and intimidating. I am not swayed but his supposed prettiness lol

oh yeahhhhhhh, how come Xin Yue's younger cousin looks older than her? Must be close in age, I guess..

Exactly how I feel. I will probably never watch another Hollywood production save maybe Avatar two.

They're too racist towards Asians in general. Recent offenders include Episode VII, which is supposed to be Western adaptation of Jin Yong's HSDS. But even the Asians in it were given offensive roles.

The last time I went to see a movie in the theater was Avatar back in 2009 and that was a good 7 years ago... So proud of myself for not caring about Western productions any longer.

Anyways, it was for me a choice between tolerating a White antagonist, or having to put up with 9 Sailor [Sissy] Scouts in a very whitewashed anime with a Caucasian female as the leading role, and the choice was clear...
    Last edited by hirobo2; 08-16-16 at 02:26 AM.

Haha...so I am not the only one who likes chen pi

Anyway I don't get that American guy co working with the Japanese and the Japanese even listen to him, too. For God's sake if my history knowledge isn't too rusty. Isn't this supposed to be world war 2, like pearl harbour, Hiroshima and nagasaki?! They shouldn't be working together, right???? I rather have him be a German guy, though I think American movies tend to bring the Nazis as the main evil more than enough, I don't need that in a chinese drama, but still, I think it would be more accurate history-wise.

Banned

^ Chen Pi is sort of like the Anakin Skywalker of this show. He possesses immense potential but has blurred distinction between good and evil. One of the more intriguing characters of the show. Also has strong desire to save Ya Tou like how Anakin was too obsessed with saving Padme's life in Episode III. Remains to be seen whether Chen Pi can be redeemed, or ends up like Darth Vader...

Banned

Ending song is catchy:

Banned

Way I think of The Mystic Nine is this (nine gate-keepers + one lieutenant):

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-j1_T6iEbdwM/V7fPV6lRROI/AAAAAAAABeI/PZRgLSnVeOEQCA0pCCPJc7gREFUiy7NdQCLcB/s1600/mn1.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-c0REKtItH6U/V7fdCgyNB-I/AAAAAAAABeY/RkHDwRXR6HYmFLNlp6hV7rkrSXvS_-nGwCLcB/s1600/mn7.jpg')

... but more bad-arse b/c it has these characters (aka Chen [Anakin Skywalker] Pi and his Master, Er [Obi-Wan] Yue Hong) along with tonnes of complexities and nuances. Easily my favorite show of the year:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HcNTkcbJCtM/V7fPUHA7JCI/AAAAAAAABd8/Z9ScLSDQP0si-_MgHblmwMm994nICHNDQCLcB/s1600/mn2.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Eq9aMeD9PVw/V7fPUt-oT6I/AAAAAAAABeA/zI3YuaAMCUwmWwV7KasU_QGJ9SFGK3IFACLcB/s1600/mn3.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lrASFQlXyDA/V7fk61FlWRI/AAAAAAAABhM/tWPvvN0fvD4foWfdoGADjFYfgOwGBgZjACLcB/s1600/mn9.webp')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9LbVpDDc_VM/V7fPU2J3CYI/AAAAAAAABeE/ujgma31S9XEE68183EFinjHZbB9Svb-UACLcB/s1600/mn5.jpg')
    Last edited by hirobo2; 08-20-16 at 09:42 AM.

Banned

The four C-dramas I'm currently tracking and how they stack up (on mydramalist):

Chinese Paladin 5 - 76/100 on 72 votes

Ice Fantasy - 79/100 on 126 votes

Mystic Nine - 86/100 on 44 votes

Tribes & Empires - N/A (TBR)

This show has an excellent soundtrack!

I sort of can't wait to meet the other gates. Did anyone watch or read Lost Tomb? Besides the grave robbing, any interesting connections?

Banned

This show has an excellent soundtrack!

I sort of can't wait to meet the other gates. Did anyone watch or read Lost Tomb? Besides the grave robbing, any interesting connections?
    Oh, so now I have figured out why there are characters in this show like Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, b/c this is a prequel. I have never watched the Lost Tomb. I only became interested in this show b/c it resembled the late 2015 movie, Mojin - The Lost Legend, which I watched and liked...

I love the ost of this sgow as well. I think williams songis quite catchy as well.

I did watch the lost tomb but I didn't get much of the story. I like the actors but the drama was so bad. Perhaps it as hpw they scripted it or cut it. It didn't make sense at all.

So apart from the grave robbing; I think li yi fengs character is supposed to be from one of the nine gates families there is not much which is connecting these two stories. But I only watched the drama I didn'tread the novel so I might not know that much.

Banned

OMG, 2016 is turning to be a very good cinema year for me.

T'is the year I discovered the best productions I've ever watched:

1. Movie: Dragon Nest: Warrior's Dawn (2014) <-- Love this Chinese CGI movie so much, I don't think anything coming out this year can dethrone it other than the sequel (see my recent thread in the Movies section)

2. TV Show: The Mystic Nine.

I honestly can't find any redeeming values in Hollywood productions now that I've watched those two...

Banned

Does anyone else find the Chieftain to resemble Princess Leia a little too much? Can't be a co-incidence when the drama also features characters like Anakin Skywalker (Chen Pi) and his former-Master-turned-arch-nemesis, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Er Yue Hong) as well...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6YImiKHj_oI/V0YJW804avI/AAAAAAAAAOc/6xBGFiSHzSguu8GgjQZ0CFsCJ4E_0FYMgCLcB/s1600/leia-princess-leia-organa-solo-skywalker-9301321-576-1010.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sgXgvhofvHE/V8o7fV1J5iI/AAAAAAAAB5g/WGSHFhU0DQQppj3fArxqw1Aa1wrluu8MACLcB/s1600/The%2BMystic%2BNine%2BE30.mp4_snapshot_11.16_%255B 2016.09.02_22.52.49%255D.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MOkfdqdyXFw/V8o7ff7QdDI/AAAAAAAAB5k/Vp3p_ndEmhMvTjBLvE54DODFxGeb3kxCwCLcB/s1600/The%2BMystic%2BNine%2BE30.mp4_snapshot_11.24_%255B 2016.09.02_22.52.11%255D.jpg')
    Last edited by hirobo2; 09-02-16 at 11:19 PM.

lol only you are making the star wars connection, hirobo.