Thread: Throne of Elves 3D (2016)

Banned

The prequel, Dragon Nest: Warrior's Dawn (2014):

Banned

MV of prequel with singer in it:

Banned

Same song as above but with Chinese singer:

Banned

Finished watching the prequel, Dragon Nest: Warrior's Dawn in 1080p in ENG dub. I'm going to re-watch it in 3D, joy!

Since this is a Chinese-American movie, even though the characters in it are White, they think and move like Asians. The movie made more sense this way when I viewed the characters as in Ice Fantasy (CN-TV 2016), Chinese ppl with digitally altered colored eyes, and blond(e)/brown hair wigs...

Heck, the leading Elf female, Liya, reminds me of the Chinese chick that knows magic that keeps following Long You around in Chinese Paladin 5. Also, there is a lot of Chinese weaponry propaganda in the movie. The arrow tip that glows green is synonymous with a Chinese nuclear-tipped missile (ie. YJ-12 hypersonic missile). Liya is also able to make her arrow split into multiple green-lit arrows, like the multiple nuclear warheads you find in a Chinese Hypersonic Glide Vehicle.

The Good: I'm going to be entirely honest here. I absolute hate Hollywood productions. They can't create fight scenes as awesome as in Asian ones. And their designs sometimes fall short of what is possible. I also hate Japanese productions sometimes for the sex and gore. IMO sex and gore are the lowest denominators of visual arts, something synonymous with Japanese pop-culture... Luckily, you find none of that here. Sure, there is the accidental boob-grab, but it never crossed the line into p*rn. The Chinese-style martial arts/acrobatics in this movie also kicks any Western and Japanese anime/movie's butt any day.

In addition, the movie has the a lot of the Chinese cinema staple like throwing your female partner into a spinning air kick (like Zhang Wuji throwing Zhao Min into the air during a sparring match in HSDS '09), and shooting off multiple arrows from a single bow Jet Li style (aka in Fong Sai Yuk, Jet Li shot multiple arrows from a single bow to save his Dad). That was probably the most awesome move an Elf lady supporting character ever made in combat in the movie. Also, the main character, Lambert, is essentially Yang Guo. He wields a magic sword too heavy for him to swing...

The Super-good: The movie literally trounces LOTR. Aragorn in LOTR wields a legendary sword that cut off Sauron's finger, but is the sword a magical one? Tauriel in The Hobbit is a female Elf warrior, but does she shoot arrows strengthened with glowing green "Kryptonite"? Can any Elf make their arrows move using "The Force"? Have you ever seen a half-human-dragon in the LOTR universe?

In terms of CGI, Disney/Pixar sometimes does the environment better than this movie, but have you ever seen CGI characters kiss so convincingly? Also, have you ever seen a CGI spirit depart from an injured body? (That was probably the most difficult feat for the CGI artists to accomplish, showing Liya's spirit departing from her injured body [but was sent back with the help of a life-force jewel])

Also, the humor and jokes in this movie is/are more funny than any Stephen Chow movie I've ever watched.

The Bad: Movie was 90 minutes long (standard CGI length) but felt like 45 minutes. I wanted to see more! ENG dubbing is horrendous, I need to re-watch in Mandarin...

My rating 9.9/10. Best movie I've seen in the last 5 years.

Chinese production Warrior's Dawn doesn't hold back, has it all, accidental boob-grab [but never crossed the red line into p*rn and gore]:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Rk73k4zqzSQ/V7yLAoZwSCI/AAAAAAAABx8/YLyQFzBnGPMcMN5aGBzkNhCldzBRaZbkQCLcB/s1600/liya.png')

Half human-dragon (incomplete metamorphosis stage), girl on the left is his sister also a half human-dragon:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sz6J_sotlFU/V7yF5oOoqRI/AAAAAAAABxo/O5vKup2mPQI0zySLFeze8YXDuSBOrDoXACLcB/s1600/dragon.png')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-J39NALJKnKU/V7yF5h9drVI/AAAAAAAABxs/JlL6ptz0Mcc8lIq5GZBwh6CsIp471CizACLcB/s1600/dragon2.png')

The most difficult feat for the Chinese CGI artists to render, spirit departing from injured body:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YvxzvcEnGTU/V7yLAjbPhRI/AAAAAAAAByA/TqrfCa1j21sG13aiEgYHbvRa9RMiJshPwCLcB/s1600/liya2.png')
    Last edited by hirobo2; 08-23-16 at 06:11 PM.

Banned

Japan's answer to Dragon Nest's Liya character: Linkle

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0TlZQxlw-B8/V7s1nGOd2CI/AAAAAAAABxU/Ys_0dg2T4asHjCyR1Xy83u_XfpOKcH9qgCLcB/s1600/279px-HWL_Linkle_Artwork.png')

What I dislike about this Linkle character by Nintendo, which looks like a clone of Liya from Dragon Nest: 1. Double cross bows on her thighs look silly, do the arrows come with "Kryptonite"? Probably not. 2. Ew, how can she do kung-fu looking like that?

(I like Liya 10x more than her distant cousin Linkle...)

Banned

Another MV of the sequel, Throne of Elves:

Banned

I just had a 30-minute glimpse of the prequel, Dragon Nest: Warrior's Dawn, in 3D:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mRdA978g3UU/V73rkqHDidI/AAAAAAAABzg/n4nWzRffJ0IbFn-9CsK0nq1zRmkHhCY5ACLcB/s1600/l_12231765.jpg')

I'm comparing it to the recent Zootopia, which was a spectacular hit in China in 3D. The 3D in Dragon Nest looked better b/c: 1. More 3D depth, 2. Better direction. Zooptopia was pretty gimmicky when it came to 3D, Dragon Nest on the other hand is at the level of Jame Cameron's Avatar in 3D.

A lot of cinema goers complaint about how The Hobbit trilogy and SW: Ep VII looked better in 2D. That isn't the case with Dragon Nest, it actually looked worse in 2D... So much was lost when I compared the 2D version of Dragon Nest to the 3D version.

As of this year I can honestly say I will never watch another Hollywood production again at home or at the cinema, save maybe Avatar 2. Why? I sincerely hope that future entertainment will take this form: I'm okay with the movie/show having an all White cast, I'm okay with White people coming up with the story outline, but please let Asians handle the script/screenplay/the clever and funny dialogues, let Asians handle the battle scenes, let Asians direct it 100%, let Asians work on the storyboard and art concepts. Otherwise, the results will be something bland unwatchable by sensitive viewers like me with a strong viewership in Asian productions... Thank you!

Banned

Just finished watching the Mandarin version of the prequel. Movie is really sick. I love it! There were no parts cut or censored in the ENG dubbed version compared to the original Mandarin one. Ending credits in English is just a list of names, but the Mandarin is very colorful with plenty of illustrations. There is an Easter egg in the credits in both versions, a short segment, where Lambert names his pets "Bow" and "Arrow", so don't miss it...

Banned

Liya's voice actress:

Banned

Failed previous attempt (first draft) at the prequel movie, with story written by the same guy who wrote the story for Shrek. I keep telling ppl, so long as Asians aren't in control of a movie's production, the results usually aren't as good... (The movie that was actually released in its place a couple years later in 2014 [after multiple revisions by Asian artists] became 10X better)

Last edited by hirobo2; 08-25-16 at 03:39 PM.

Banned

Liya & Lambert in Thrones of Elves (2016) - 3D & VR formats

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3lc0a9qGy8U/V79X-pivoII/AAAAAAAABz0/81xp417ir7kbJn3B2NCz81TEkiGV_2GjwCLcB/s1600/MV5BNTgwYTcxMTUtOTFiMi00NjNiLWI0NTItNWYzZWFjOTNkMj E2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQzNzE3NzI%2540._V1_SY1000_CR0% 252C0%252C666%252C1000_AL_.jpg')

Banned

Another MV (the best/sharpest-looking one yet <- need to visit YouTube site to fully appreciate):

Banned

Found this comment on YouTube by a 47 y/o on the prequel, Dragon Nest: Warrior's Dawn (I quite agree with his comment):

im 47 years old.when im watching this i think this is only for the children and how many times try to watching i think 10 times be coz a mazing movie.

Also found this review on IMDB by a 45 y/o illustrator:

This is a very, very well planned movie people. It may look like just another kids movie, but this one is really, really well directed !! I was not expecting this at all.

It's one of the best action movies I've seen recently and a good example of how an incredible action movie does not have to be a visual editing mess; so this is one flick that director Michael Bay needs to watch to learn how to create meaningful action scenes where the viewer can actually see what happens on the screen and care for the fate of the characters.

All characters felt important and we cared for every little bit of action where each of one was involved, which was something that I loved, because it's been years since I had seen animated characters that made such an impression on me. I'm still trying to understand how the makers of this movie achieved this with a plot that is nothing more than 80 minutes of action sequences. Any other movie would be extremely boring to watch, with a structure like this. Not this one. The guys who made this, know how to tell a story !! Dragon Nest is another good example of how oriental cinema is much more charismatic than most of what comes out of Hollywood this days. Oriental cinema knows how to create human characters that we care for, even if they are dragons or have just a few lines to say.

Overall I think this is a great fantasy action movie. Not that original in plot, but extremely well done in action and character development. A real case study.

The only thing I didn't liked was the abrupt ending...I was having fun waiting for a final epilogue segment and then GONE. Is this the first episode of a television series or what ?!...

Also visually Dragon Nest feels a bit limited when it comes to fantasy environments. The fantasy world looks beautiful, but I felt we've just seen small glimpses of it instead of getting that open world feel. It was probably a budget thing.

And although the English dubbing is very good, I need to see this in Mandarin now, as I'm not a supporter of dubbing movies as I prefer subtitles. Nevertheless this Dragon Nest movie is a surprise. Also it's definitely the best Chinese animation movie I've seen so far as most of the animation films that come out of China usually fail real bad and so I was also very surprised that this was not a Japanese project as I thought it could be. So overall, if you love fantasy movies, imaginary worlds Dragon Nest is a real hidden gem awaiting to be discovered and I hope there will be a sequel because I do want to see more of these characters please !! And I will be buying this in blu-ray if it ever comes out.

Great charming movie and this 45 year old illustrator here loved it !

Ps: there's stuff after the credits, so watch it to the very end.
    Last edited by hirobo2; 08-26-16 at 02:35 PM.

Banned

I haven't watched Throne of Elves yet, but this image suggests that Liya and Lambert eventually get together? Does Liya still get to live to be hundreds of years old when she marries a human? If that's the case, then the pic left out the part where Lambert reincarnates into another body and falls in love with Liya all over again:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/nGaiGwH.jpg')
    Last edited by hirobo2; 08-31-16 at 07:43 PM.

Banned

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JMcBkwni7ME/WDpsG4WZ8MI/AAAAAAAACWE/VtR_qwZeIvIZOOTBBZPpthpG5yu7MzCQQCLcB/s1600/giphy.gif')
    Last edited by hirobo2; 11-30-16 at 03:12 PM.

Banned

I'm restarting this thread b/c a third movie could come out in the near future. Thus, requiring another thread with a different title. Also thread is a bit of a mess as the first page contains over 50 MB worth of online images. I hope to keep the new thread a bit lighter in terms of images per page to speed up the load time.

This thread abandoned, the new thread can be found here:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...tion?p=1131682

Banned

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3gsjs-hFzmA/WFVR-6pq3fI/AAAAAAAAC0U/oN96NphAJZEJVyilf771d-M7JVMgliutACLcB/s1600/Thats_all_folks.svg.png')

(See post above this one)