Thread: Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Goryeo aka korean 步步惊心

Default Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Goryeo aka korean 步步惊心

Hi all,

Don't know if you guys are aware but there's a Korean version of 步步惊心 called Moon Lovers Scarlet Heart: Goryeo. It's broadcasting simultaneously tonight in Korea as well as a few Asian countries.

http://www.dramabeans.com/tag/moon-lovers-scarlet-heart-goryeo/

Cheers

just thought I will update with my thoughts on the korean version of BBJX that i am watching midway...

if you are a hard core fan of the Liu Shishi BBJX and think that was a perfect /almost near perfect adaption of the novel...perhaps its best to stick to rewatching that series.

If you are ready to accept that its a korean version with certain scenes in BBJX 'adapted' into the korean version and love Lee Joon Ki (who plays 4th prince) and Kang Haneul (who plays 8th prince) then go ahead.. however do not expect the korean version of characters to have similar characteristics of the chinese version of characters...

hope this helps!

cheers!

I've been wanting to watch this but haven't been able to find it subbed. How is IU in here? I love her as a solo artist but she's been acting more than singing lately. Is the series worth watching for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarafina View Post
    I've been wanting to watch this but haven't been able to find it subbed. How is IU in here? I love her as a solo artist but she's been acting more than singing lately. Is the series worth watching for her?
    am puzzled there's no subs cos on cable tv we can watch the show within 24 hours of showing in korea with subs! perhaps watch raw then check dramabeans for the recaps?

i actually was very interested with the show cos there's IU and Kang Haneul in it...IU looks very pretty in those ancient clothing...and...she's got really nice hairstyles (kinda)....and ermmm how do i say this without offending anyone else who might be reading this...

I watched IU in The Producers and found that she had really good crying skills and she cried beautifully and her acting wasnt bad...very subtle and basically good...so I was really interested in watching her in this saeguek.

i dont know if its the directing or editing or what but there's tons of closes up of her expression like a deer caught in the headlines look...its not just her but the director likes to do close up of faces / expressions of the other leads...that style feels funny in a saeguk...apparently people are blaming IU for her lousy acting thats why the viewership rates of the show is low but i think there's other issues at play here.

but please do check out the show and form your own opinions...

I like this show. Lee Joon Gi and Kang Haneul are definitely the standout performances. IU is perfectly fine in her role. Personally, I think any issues in the drama is because of the narrative, direction and filming/editing and not the actors.

Specific to IU...well things sort of just happen to and around her character. Like, she's definitely the female lead, but there isn't really anything interesting about her to the modern viewer, except for the time travel component.

I have watched C-BBJX many times LOL. The two shows have very different feels. The characters in the K version retain the titles and rivalries, but the dynamics play out differently. This version is heart rending in it's own way.

Stick with the original C-BBJX version, this Korean remake is nothing more than a quick cash grab using the popularity of the original BBJX. It stink.

I'm up to episode 12. Been watching series verrrry slowly the past few months. This series in particular seems to get removed from and then reuploaded to YouTube every other week. But it's ok, I'll hang in there to watch IU. I don't think her acting is bad at all.

I've already seen the original BBJX and enjoyed it. Don't think Moon Lover is on par in terms of production value to the original but I don't think it stinks either. Nor do I see anything wrong with adapting a popular novel so that it fits better within the culture that is doing the actual production.

The two critiques I'll make for Moon Lovers is that it seems to have a modern idol feel to it while the Chinese is historical. I don't think that modern feeling works in Moon Lover's favor. I find it off-putting.

The second thing is the difference in the heroines between the versions. The Chinese BBJX had the heroine storming out of the building from the first episode unwilling to even put up with any signs of cheating from her bf. She's spitting mad with an attitude and a pretty mean slap. Whereas, IU's version starts off depressed from being betrayed by both her bf, her best girl friend, and then eventually losing her house. The viewers get a feel for the difference in personality immediately. In one version, the heroine won't put up with people messing with her. In the other, things just happen and the heroine have very little control over the events in her life. I feel that the Moon Lover writers created a heroine that is harder to root for and easier to slip into the background and be forgotten.

Btw, IU sang Three Inches of Heaven from the original BBJX in her 24 Steps in Taipei concert recently. I included the clip. Enjoy!