Thread: Troubled Times - Cang Yue

Default Troubled Times - Cang Yue

Troubled Times

亂世

by
    Cang Yue

沧月

Originally published in an August 2003 issue of 今古傳奇 武俠版. This is a novella (中篇), divided into four parts as listed below.

Table of Contents

Bloodcolored Twilight
    Wind Over the Wei River
    The Setting Sun
    Shattered Dawn

TRANSLATION COMPLETE
    Last edited by whiteskwirl; 10-29-16 at 04:37 PM.

Default Bloodcolored Twilight

The course of a person's life is like a spirit coming to earth, suffering, then dying. But because he works hard, because he suffers so much throughout his life, future generations won't have to...

Bloodcolored Twilight

The downpour started at twilight, the moment the walls were breached.

For six months the city withstood the seige, the Prince of Ning's forces suffering heavy casualties. After paying such a high price just to enter the city, they were again met with stiff resistance, fighting in the streets inch by inch, making headway street by street, the corpses piling up like a mountain, blood everywhere mixed in with the rainwater.

The Prince Qin's commanding general Fu Yanjing braved death to resist the attacks, holding Taizhou for half a year, ultimately killing his own son for urging him to surrender, then leading his troops out into the streets to fight to the death. His men were also loyal, all of them fighting to the last man; not one of his men surrendered.

"What a good Fu Yanjing!" Seeing the piles of bodies, listening to his general report on the casualties sustained in fighting, the Prince of Ning on horseback, bedecked in his silvery-white armor, sneered. "So he thinks jade and stone should burn together? Bring me his corpse and have it publicly dismembered, and wipe out all those commoners who helped defend the city. Kill their entire families, no mercy!"

"Yes, Your Highness." The general beside him received his orders, hesitated a moment, and said, "This attack went on too long. Our soldiers are exhausted, and our provisions are almost gone. So..."

"Butcher the city for three days!"The Prince of Ning didn't hesitate to issue the order. "Allow the soldiers to enjoy themselves a little bit to boost their morale. Meanwhile, resupply the troops--I want to let everyone under heaven know the consequences for crossing me!"

Outside the downpour mixed with the sounds of fear and screams of panic.

A fourteen year old boy stood in the courtyard of an inn, watching as outside the gates people burst out everywhere, in the blink of an eye amassing into a stream of people fleeing from every street and alley.

The innkeeper had already packed up and fled for his life, no explanations even for his waiters. A chaotic group had formed in the shop, guests coming and going, everywhere people crying and screaming, and looting.

He had long ago packed up his few belongings, but he hadn't left. He was watching a group of travelers from Yangzhou. The young lady amongst them was said to be the daughter of the richest family in Yangzhou, returning from Quanzhou from visiting her parents when they were caught up here after Prince Ning led his troops to Taizhou. Because of the fighting, they had been unable to leave the inn.

Prince Ning laid seige to the city for six months, so for six months she and her retainers had been holed up here. In those six months, he had formed a sibling-like relationship with her. The daughter of such as wealthy family, yet she had a gentle and soft temperament. She was very cordial to him, laughing and calling him Little Brother, not at all regarding him as a lowly waiter. A soft and gentle beautiful girl like her should not have to be exposed to such chaotic times. The moment he heard that Prince Ning was inside the city, he was determined to protect her, even if it meant his life.

His father had said to him once, before he died, that if he didn't want to get caught up in the ways of the world, then he should conduct himself in a quiet, restrained manner, and shouldn't rashly display his abilities; just focus on being a citizen--that's the way to keep oneself protected during troubled times. So, as he matured, he kept hidden the military strategy and martial arts he had learned. For fourteen years he had kept it hidden.

But today it was a risky situation, and he aimed to protect them from those murderous soldiers.

"Little Brother, you still haven't left yet!" In the midst of the confusion, the young lady had still paid notice to the waiter in coarse clothes, and had stopped to speak with him. Her retainers, once the chaos began, all took off and left. She carried herself a small cloth bundle as she hurried out herself, the only one accompanying her a servant girl named Yinghong.

"I'll lead you out of the city, Sister Shuyu!" He went to take up her things, but was blocked by Yinghong. The servant girl eyed him with disdain and suspicion.

"Miss, don't hand over your things to a stranger! That bundle is all we have." But the rich girl laughed good-naturedly and paid no attention to the servant girl's admonitions.

On the contrary, she handed over the cloth bundle to him and said in a soft voice, "Then, I'll trouble Little Brother to lead the way." The boy nodded and was getting ready to lead everyone out when the gates were kicked open with a bang.

"The Prince of Ning decrees: 'Massacre the inhabitants for three days! Burn all the houses to the ground, and take all their heads!'" A mass of unruly soldiers crowded in behind the proclaimer, all of them covered in blood, carrying swords and spears, their eyes gleaming murderously. The boy picked up a stick from the courtyard, and step by step, shielded the two girls as they backed into a corner.

"Brother, brother, don't fight with them!" Behind him, the rich girl in a low voice pleaded with him, fearfully tugging at his clothes, her fingers trembling. "You're no match for them...You're still a child, you're still a child."

"Miss, don't worry, he's a boy! Don't worry about him, just let him ward them off for a moment so we can escape out the back" Yinghong hurriedly came up and took the cloth bundle and pulled the rich girl back. "Let's escape quick! Don't worry about him."

"Haha, pretty girls, you can't run away!" Upon seeing such a beautiful girl, the brutish soldier couldn't hold back, and he charged towards her. The boy blocked the way, his eyes red, and with one sweep of his stick knocked the soldier to the ground.

If he dies here, what's the difference? He was a child, but he couldn't just stand there and watch as Sister Shuyu was taken away by those beasts...Anyway, he had no parents or close relatives.

After seeing their comrade downed, the other brutal soliders were taken aback, and then all at once they rushed in from all sides surrounding the boy...

The seventh time he was knocked down, the boy's ribs cracked sharply and blood gushed out, mizing with the rain-soaked mud . He struggled, but couldn't get up. Damn. If only he knew, he would have practiced his martial arts more. He had thought to keep himself aloof from the world, that the skills had learned would be of no use, but today...

"How does it feel, little guy?' the captain of the troop said. You dare to resist us. Pull him up and take him out. Let the horses trample him!" He grabbed the boy by the hair and pulled him to his feet, and spit in his face. The boy struggled with all his might, but it wasn't enough. He was beaten by two tall and strong soldiers, and then they made to drag him out.

"Don't hit him! Don't hit him!" The beautiful girl suddenly charged out from the rear courtyard, pulled the captain's hand off the boy, and hugged the boy, guarding him with her body. "He's still small, just a child. I'll do what you want, just please don't hurt him...

"Sister Shuyu!" He struggled again, feeling as if his strength were renewed, but his broken body wouldn't hold out, and blood still flowed from the corner of his mouth. "What did you come back for? Hurry and escape!"

Miss Shuyu lowered her head and smiled. "I can't just abandon you here. Besides, where can I escape to? There are soldiers everywhere, and I'm just a woman. In such chaotic times as this, how could I survive?" Though she smiled, her eyes couldn't conceal her sorrowful fate. Her body gave off a light fragrance--something vaguely like the scent of jasmine.

When they saw that beautiful girl foolishly run back in, the soldiers laughed wantonly, and grabbed her. Shuyu clung tightly to the door frame, and lowered her head to look at the youth. "Little Brother, Little Brother! I'm not that important, and you're still young. You must survive! You're a boy now, but you'll grow to be a strong man...You mustn't die, you must do all you can to live..." She forced a smile, but her tears dropped like pearls onto the boy's face.

Suddenly, he felt a fire ignite in the bottom of his heart--the bloody, chaotic scene in front of him had stimulated his youthful blood, stirring up some brave and valiant energy that had been buried deep inside him.

"Enough! Let's go back to camp and join our brothers in celebration!" The girl's hands were roughly pulled away from the door frame. The captain and his men laughed uproariously and pushed the boy to the ground and began kicking him with all their strength.

"You little bastard. For her sake, we'll let you off this time."

"Captain, This time we should draw tallies to decide who gets her first. We can't let you take her all for yourself!"

"Haha...Don't worry, I won't keep these precious goods from you." The group of bandits took up Miss Shuyu and swaggered off.

The boy, with great effort, struggled to his feet. He looked down at his knees, the ghastly white bone already visible, blood from his collar dripping freely, the rain spreading it all over his body.

"Miss! Miss!...Those evil thieves!" He spotted Yinghong emerging from her hiding spot, the cloth bundle gripped tight in her hands.

She put on an act, crying, "Little Brother, hurry and lead me out of the city! I have to go back and tell Master to come rescue Miss Shuyu." He snorted coldly, then suddenly turned and left, leaving the slave girl there by herself in that ransacked inn.

"You little brat! How can you just leave me here!" That voice originally choked with sobs had now turned to swears, caustic and angry. "You're a boy, shouldn't you protect me and help me escape? You cowardly, worthless beggar!" His child-like face suddenly twitched. *****.

"Hey soldiers!" Outside he ran into a group of soldiers. He thought a moment, then suddenly stopped, a furtive smile forming. He pointed behind him towards the inn courtyard. "There's still a pretty girl hiding in there; you guys don't want to miss your chance!" Then, he continued on heedlessly. In the distance he could faintly hear from the courtyard the sound of Yinghong's terrified screams.

He chuckled unexpectedly, in his eyes a darkness quietly brimming...starting from this day, would his hands be spoiled by blood? Was there anything he would be unable to do?

Everywhere flames, everywhere screaming, everywhere fresh blood. All the places he used to frequent were up in flames, the wooden planks cracking and burning. He could even hear the sound of bones breaking, and of women and children screaming...It felt like the end of the world.

His neighbors, aunts and uncles, just a day before were walking around, telling jokes. Now, in a flash they had all turned to sword-scarred corpses. And the others were celebrating, laughing madly...on the horses women, their plunder, tied up, and from the saddle hung still-dripping severed heads, the men carrying in their hands more loot they had stolen...

--Is this what we call a world? Where people live?

And not only here. This city, the entire Central Plains had been embroiled in the chaos of war for almost five years now.

"Whoah!" A horse was suddenly pulled to a halt, its master pulling hard on the reins in surprise, the horse's hooves coming up in the air, waving about, then landing on the ground, rainwater mixed with cold sweat from the master's forehead dripping down onto his armor.

"Who are you? You have a lot of nerve to block my horse like that!" The Prince of Ning turned around and saw a boy covered in blood lying prone in the mud, trying hard to prop himself up to look at him.

That calm, meaningful expression was really not like that of a young boy. The Prince of Ning was surprised and found himself utterting the command for his guards to halt. He dismounted and went over to the boy, lowered his head and said, "Little guy, you care litle about your life, don't you?"

You're Ning, the Prince of Ning?" The boy, little more than ten yeard old, struggled to look at him, saw him nod his head yes, then said a sentence that the Prince of Ning would not forget as long as he lived. "Let's make a deal. Help me rescue Sister and I'll serve Your Highness for the rest of my life."

Looking at this boy, splotched all over with blood, the Prince of Ning couldn't help but laugh. "Oh? Really? What ability do you have? You're just a child." Clearly the boy's leg had been broken when the horse trampled him, but contrary to his expectations, the boy calmly stood, his legs shaky and unsteady, and he raised his head.

"Does Your Highness not want to destroy all the other rulers? Does he not want to reign over everything under Heaven? Does he not want to found a new dynasty? If you do, I can help you!"

"You have that much skill? Then you can make yourself king, little guy!" The Prince of Ning laughed with great interest. Though on the battlefield he was fierce and brave and ruthless, he was gentle and cultivated towards others, due to his imperial upbringing.

"Although you might be right, if I want to make the world a stable, peaceful place, won't I have to wait many years?" The prince couldn't believe the boy took his ridicule seriously. The boy thought a moment, then added, "Your Highness, you have a strong force; in less than five years everything under Heaven will be yours, and that will be the end of these troubled times. So, why wait until later?

"My father once told me what it takes to be a powerful leader. Your Highness, you are heroic, courageous, enterprising, and you have the right blood and a military force...I think, it's probably enough, isn't it? If you have some deficiencies, let me make up for them. Even if I have to get my own hands dirty, it doesn't matter." When he heard those words, he was astounded. Curious, The Prince of Ning began to see the youth in a new light.

He said, "Your father is..."

"My father was Gao Tiancheng."

The Prince of Ning was suddenly quiet. Gao Tiancheng, the late emperor's right hand man, there when the dynasty was founded. During more stable times, he had disappeared without a trace, and the King, the Prince of Ning's father, relied on him more than anyone, so much so that before his death, the King sighed and said to the Prince of Ning, "After I die, your four brothers will certainly rebel. It looks like the world is again going to lapse into chaos....Ah, if only my beloved Gao were still here!" So it turns out that Gao Tiancheng had taken his wife and children to live in seclusion in the town? So, this youth is Gao Tiancheng's son? Then I must not look upon him with contempt.

"All right...no matter who blocked my horse's path, it takes a lot of guts to say that to me. To see someone so young have so much courage...I'll help you retrieve your Sister. Anyway, it will be an easy task." The Prince of Ning suddenly laughed and clapped the boy on the shoulder, discovering in the process just how thin and weak he was. "We have a deal!"

"Her name is Shuyu. Please, please give the order quickly to go find her. Otherwise, it will be too late..." Hearing the man's promise, the boy's expression quickly turned to one of exhaustion. His strength was gone, and he collapsed in the mud.

The drizzle gradually thinned, the war clouds covering the city like an unescapable net. The setting sun appeared from out of the dark clouds, spreading bloodcolored light over the land.

to be continued...
    Last edited by whiteskwirl; 10-29-16 at 04:35 PM.

Default Wind Over the Wei River

Wind Over the Wei River

"Little Brother...the Prince of Ning, he...he wants me to be his consort." The army was stationed in Chang'an. In one of the tents, Shuyu wrinkled her brow, her fingers lightly playing with her belt, gazing blankly off at the sky outside the tent. The wind was strong, the clouds roiling in the sky, magically changing quickly into all sorts of strange shapes. The setting sun spread its light over the clouds, making them seem as if the whole sky were full of blood--red, like the cheeks of a beautiful girl.

The youth beside her said nothing. Ever since Taizhou had been taken, and he had went with the army as an aide to the Prince of Ning, he had grown more and more reticent. He looked through the mirror and saw Sister's beautiful profile, so innocent and helpless.

"Little Brother...Why don't you say something? After losing touch with Yinghong, luckily...luckily I was still able to see you again amidst these wild troops." The beautiful girl in white sighed softly and lowered her head. "I'm a woman, and I don't have my parents here to help me come to a decision about this big marriage situation..." The youth was still silent, looking the other way, ignoring her pleading expression.

Unable to elicit a response, Shuyu's fingers gripped the front of her garment, and as if talking to herself, said, "Oh...a marriage proposal. But under the current circumstances, do I have any room to refuse? However, I really hope to have someone who can protect us. My family already rejected the Prince of Qin and the Prince of Fu; I can't offend the Prince of Ning. Although the Yangzhou Jiang family is rich, in times like this, having money is becoming more and more perilous..." As she talked to herself, her snow-white face gradually took on a firm and tenacious radiance.

"Of course, the Prince of Ning is not fit to marry. I've heard it said that he is lustful and cruel. But, even so, he has should have the power to protect my entire family, right? As long as it means getting through these troubled times peacefully, I don't care. Little Brother, what do you think?" As if she didn't need to hear the youth's answer, Shuyu's eyes suddenly welled up, and she nodded her head, as if if she she had resolved herself. "Then, I'll accept! I'll write to my family, then get married in Chang'an. Little Brother, by doing this I can protect you..."

His head was still lowered, but when the youth heard Shuyu's final words, his eyes suddenly changed. Looking in the mirror, he suddenly said, "Sister, marry him!" That's right, marry him. Even though he only wants to marry you for your family's wealth, he's a person capable of protecting you and your family. He has the ability to seize everything under Heaven. He'll give you the highest position and honor. And me, I'll guard you always. One of these days, I'll see with my own eyes Sister wearing the crown of the empress dowager!

"Little Gao, don't over do it." Seeing the flushed face and sweat dripping from the youth, and all around the dead and wounded scattered, the Prince of Ning was overjoyed, but his manner of speaking remained solicitous. "You've practiced diligently, nonstop these past two months. Even though you've improved quickly, you've also worked yourself to exhaustion."

"Don't worry, Your Highness, I'll be careful." Little Gao sheathed his sword and took up a spear from the rack. "In the evening I'll read as a way to rest." He wanted himself to be strong as quickly as possible so that he could protect Sister and assist the Prince of Ning to quickly end these troubled times, to quickly put an end to all this war and bloodshed. During the day he practiced martial arts, and at night he would study. He had nearly used all his potential to practice the skills his father had taught him.

"The Yangzhou Jiang family has already agreed to the marriage. Next month your Sister and I will be wed." The Prince of Ning regarded the goldcolored tent outside. His expression suddenly took on a strange quality. "I want you to rest well. On that day everyone will be really busy." Little Gao said nothing, his head lowered, looking at his seven-foot spear.

Suddenly, in a low voice, he asked, "Your Highness, Wucheng hasn't yet fallen?"

The prince glanced at the youth in surprise, then, in an imposing manner, said, "Not yet...Fourth Brother has under him a fearless general, one Shi Zhaolong. Also, he's managed the city well for many years into a strategic position. They have plenty of provisions, and the troops are in good order and obedient. For the time being there's nothing we can do."

"Let me go," the youth said, a blank expression on his face. He put down his spear and took a precious sword from the rack, tested its sharpness. "Just let me take Wucheng and present it to Your Highness and Sister as a wedding gift." The prince had felt that the youth was something else; given some time, the youth would in the end be able to take charge of things himself. Seeing a boy, just 13 years old, suddenly volunteer for such a big assignment, his tone of voice so determined, startled the prince.

"Little Gao, the army is no joke. Out of all the princes, Fourth Brother is something else. He doesn't lust after women, he doesn't drink to excess, he's not money-hungry. He just about has no weak point. And he has under him Shi Zhaolong, a famous general. More than a month with Wucheng under siege..."

"Naturally I have a way to deal with the Prince of Cheng--but, please don't tell Sister Shuyu. She would worry." The youth's stony black eyes dimmed, and he looked at the Prince of Ning. "If on the day of Your Highness' wedding I haven't returned to Chang'an, then...then, please Your Highness take good care of Sister."

Sister, if one day I can no longer return to your side, then it's certainly because I was willing to sacrifice my life for my own ideals--if that happens, please don't feel sad. even if you're by yourself, you must live your life well...

It was already the 27th day without seeing Gao Qun. She read the letter he had left behind, sitting and waiting for her maidservant to comb her hair. Shuyu's eyes filled with worry and dread. She didn't know what was going, and she also didn't know much about Little Brother Gao either. But she know this much, at least: This child really treated her well; in these troubled times, he was the only one who would give his life for her."

She read the letter in a trance, to the point that she didn't notice her maidservants draw back and retreat outside, and that her warm, translucent jade comb was already in another set of hands. "My dear, even Lady Wei of the Han dynasty didn't have as beautiful hair as you." Hearing this compliment, she became aware of a rustling in her hair; only then did Shuyu snap back to reality to see in the mirror the Prince of Ning standing beside her. In his hand he held the comb, gently combing her cloudlike black hair.

Her face suddenly flushed crimson, and she lowered her head, her manner showing her true rich and gentle, reserved upbringing. "Your Highness, the marriage ceremony hasn't yet taken place; we shouldn't be in contact with each other. Please go back." She didn't know why, but seeing her future husband engaging in such an intimate activity, she still felt uncomfortable in a way she couldn't put her finger on--she didn't want to see his face in the mirror. After witnessing that horrible massacre, in her heart, how could she see him as anything but an evil murderer? The same man who once took the lives of tens of thousands as something of no importance, who led those beastly soldiers--what is his inner heart like? And he was soon to be her husband!?

"Don't pretend that you're so innocent..." Sensing her coldness, the voice behind her suddenly changed, now unspeakably cold and venomous. "Don't forget that when I took you from the soldiers' tent, you were stark naked, just like a camp prostitute. Don't act like you're an upright, respectable lady." Not waiting for her to turn around and stand up in indignance, he gripped her hair tight and ruthlessly pulled her pack down onto the stool. "Little ****, be obedient! I can have any kind of woman I want! I selected you to be my consort only because of your family's wealth!"

"Don't think you can..." The blood had already drained from Shuyu's face, seeing those wild animal eyes through the mirror. She inched her head back to look at her fiance, who controlled her completely, pulling hard on her hair. "I already died once, I don't mind to die again!"

"Ignorant woman. And your family? Your little brother? Can they escape? Or maybe they'll all die?" Holding her chin in his palm, the Prince of Ning sneered as he watched through the mirror the girl's face quickly turn deathly pale. He said triumphantly, "So, be a good little puppet and remember your place!" Along with his sneer, he gradually pressed down on the jade comb, digging it into her scalp and dragged it across. "Consider this my pre-marriage warning, my consort." The Prince of Ning stormed off in a huff, breaking the jade comb in his fingers and letting the pieces fall to the floor. Shuyu sat in silence, dark blood channeling down the strands of her hair and dripping onto the ground.

Only then did her maidservants dare re-enter the room. When they saw the aftermath, they were all silent as cold cicadas. It seemed this was not the first time they had seen the Prince of Ning's brutal actions. They all bent down, expressionless, and picked up the broken pieces of the comb, then quietly withdrew.

"Miss..." Before closing the door, the last maidservant suddenly stopped, turned to Shuyu, who was seated like a statue at her make-up table, and finally asked lightly, "Would you like to wash your hair?"

Pitch-black cloudlike hair lay dispersed in the silver basin, fresh blood from her wounds seeping out and staining the clear water scarlet. "Miss, does it hurt? Do you want me to call for a doctor?" The maid asked cautiously in a soft voice, touching Shuyu's hair lightly and looking at the bloodstained water, her eyes brimming with tears.

"There's no need," she replied indifferently. Shuyu wrung her hair dry herself, together with the blood. "Don't tell anyone--especially remember not to tell Little Gao." Shuyu piled up her hair and pinned it up with a purple jade hairpin. She turned suddenly and smiled at her attendant. "What is your name?"

The little maidservant, startled, lowered her head and answered, "My name is Yan'er."

"Yan'er, you're a good-hearted girl." Shuyu sighed faintly and raised her head to the sky and watched the fast-changing winds and clouds[1], her eyes filling with limpid teardrops. "I don't care...I don't care about any of it. As long as my family can get through these troubled times safely, it's all right. As long as Little Brother is okay, then it doesn't matter...But, you all, you all...take good care of yourselves!"

The ninth month, Autumn.

Chang'an. Joined in Peace Hall.

Golden cup. Good wine. Wedding candles.

Amidst the resplendent and magnificent atmosphere, her rouged face was nevertheless pale, pale as if she were about to take a step into unknown territory from which she could never return. On her head sat heavy and complicated jewelry and other finery, which pulled at her black hair, hurting all the way to the roots. Even so, she must wear a smile and speak softly.

With Yan'er supporting her, and with her refined training and manner she had cultivated since her youth, she was able to calmly deal with the guests and high officials who came and went. But, looking out from behind her red bridal veil, among the bustling activity of the guests she saw not the one face she was looking for.

"Little Brother...Little Brother, where are you?" Thinking of the Prince of Ning's cruel threat, in the bottom of her heart she felt a chill that struck her to the bone. Could it be, could it be that...She fidgeted nervously with the handkerchief in her hand, cold sweat beading up and dripping down from her temples. Her eyes scanned the attendents. Seeing her relatives from Yangzhou, smiling all safe and sound, gave her finally a bit of respite from her constant worry.

"Commandant of the Courageous Guards Gao Qun is here!" The announcement was suddenly proclaimed in a loud, clear voice. Her legs went weak, nearly paralyzed--Little Brother had returned after all!

"Your Highness, to celebrate your great marriage, your subordinate has brought you this gift!" She heard Little Brother's voice, the sound conveying a feeling she couldn't comprehend. Then, stifling her emotions, she heard the guests cry out in a low voice.

Then, she heard the Prince of Ning, overjoyed, say, "Ah! Excellent, excellent! Fourth Brother's head. This gift is too good!"

The thick smell of blood invaded her nostrils, and, her mind already keyed up, she couldn't take it any longer and feinted away...

"Sister, did I scare you that day?" Three days after the ceremony, Gao Qun came to see her. Separated by a heavy curtain, she could only see his still-not-matured form--he was still a child.

"Little Brother...Did you kill the Prince of Cheng?" she asked. She saw the youth on the other side of the curtain slowly nod his head. Her eyes suddenly welled up. "From now on, don't do such dangerous things. Promise me you absolutely won't." But the form outside the curtain didn't move. After a while, Gao Qun's voice slowly arrived.

"Sister, I don't want to agree and then lie to you, because I can't promise you that. I want to help the Prince of Ning conquer the world. I want to help Sister become empress"

"Only, I don't want to be empress..." The girl behind the curtain forced a smile and picked up her little mirror and looked at the pearls and jade adorning her head--who would have thought these magnificent jewels were actually wrought from flesh and blood? "I don't want to live in such a big house. A small wooden house would be fine. With an open space in front, where I can grow many kinds of flowers and raise little chickens and ducklings. I'll have a bunch of cute children. I'll wait for them to return every day before the sun sets below the mountain, and we'll sit at the table and eat together food I prepared with my own hands..." In the deserted, magnificent and resplendent palace, the Prince of Ning's consort sat talking to herself in the mirror. But when she raised her head, there was no one on the other side of the curtain.

The cold autumn wind blew by, and a leaf from one of the withered and yellow wutong trees fell and landed on her snow-white lapels.

"Little Gao, recently your martial arts and military tactics have improved amazingly fast!" While taking a stroll around camp, the prince saw the youth remove his armor and enter the Wei River to bathe. The Prince of Ning dismissed his guards and went over by himself and sat on the riverbank and watched the boy. "If only you weren't really too young, I'd put you in charge of the cavalry. But, you're only fifteen. You need to at least reach eighteen and establish some military exploits; only then will I be completely justified in granting you the position." The youth was engrossed in his washing and didn't reply. Regarding military exploits and a noble rank, it seemed he was completely unconcerned.

"Right. Little Gao, I've always wanted to ask you: how did you ever get close enough to the Prince of Cheng to kill him?" Looking at the youth's handsome face and still underdeveloped shoulders, the Prince of Ning was unable to hold back his curiosity any longer, and thus asked the question he had been holding inside for half a year.

Little Gao's hand paused a moment, then resumed rinsing himself off. His voice was nevertheless cold, "It's very simple, because my father once told me about a secret within the royal family. The Prince of Cheng had a fatal weakness--he was a homosexual."

"Eh! Then, you..." As soon as the Prince of Ning blurted it out, he understood how the boy could have gotten close enough to kill the man known for not being lustful, that invulnerable Fourth Brother. The youth had not hesitated to pay the price.

As he was quickly pondering these things, the youth remained unconcerned, and replied, "If you have to get your hands dirty, let me do it. Your Highness will be in the history books in the future; it's best to keep your hands clean. I'll handle that stuff in your place. But, Your Highness must conquer the world and quickly end these troubled times. And my Sister, Your Highness must treat her well, and look at her as the supreme wife...these are my only requests." The autumn wind swirled coldly across the Wei River. The youth's eyes also were cold and detached, and steady as he looked at the Prince of Ning.

to be continued...

[1] "winds and clouds (fengyun, 風雲) also means a precarious situation, which she is in.
    Last edited by whiteskwirl; 10-29-16 at 04:34 PM.

Default The Setting Sun

The Setting Sun

The autumn wind rustling the Wei River, fallen leaves covering Chang'an. Many springs had turned to autumn, and the Prince of Ning had almost achieved his goal of unifying the country. Gao Qun had campaigned endlessly these past few years and had repeatedly attained merit through his service. In the end, he was given the rank of Grand Marshal Under Heaven and ordered to lead punitive expeditions against the only remaining Prince of Zheng.

That year, the twenty-five year old consort of the Prince of Ning Jiang Shuyu naturally was conferred the title of Empress, and she entered the Kunning Palace where she was master of the imperial harem and model mother for the nation. The next year, she gave birth to a son.

"Sister, today you summoned me to the palace, what is it?" Outside the hall, The sun was bloodcolored, making the inside of the palace even more cold. Inside Kunning Palace, Gao Qun, wearing the military garb of the highest ranking military commander, set down his tea cup and asked the person behind the screen, his manner all along conveying warmth and affection.

"Little Brother, it's been a long time since I've seen you. You've grown so much...You've matured, no longer a child. When will you take a wife?" Separated by the bead curtain, she could still see his tall figure. Shuyu laughed, pleased, the sound conveying a rare cheerfulness. But Gao Qun only smiled indifferently and didn't answer.

Instead, he changed the subject. "Sister, how old is your pride and joy?"

The empress held the infant and instructed the servant beside her, "Yan'er, take the baby and let Little Brother see--the baby can already talk; Little Brother you haven't seen him yet?"

"What a cute child. The crown prince!" Sister is the empress now!" The young marshal's blank face was now also in a rare smiling mood, playing with and making baby noises at the baby in his arms. Suddenly, his face changed. He lightly held up the baby's arm and drew back its sleeve, exposing the black and blue bruises splotching its arm. "How did this happen?"

Yan'er wanted to cover it up, but it was too late. From behind the curtain came a cry of alarm and Shuyu reached out and snatched the baby away, clutching it tightly to her chest, and without thinking explained, "Oh, I was careless. It was because I was careless that he was uninjured..."

But the youth's eyes were open and paid no attention to her explanation. He just waited until she had finished heaping up her hurried words, and then he quietly said, "Sister, your arm." She drew her arm back reflexively, but she couldn't cover the bruises on her wrist and forearm. The atmosphere suddenly solidified, and brother and sister regarded each other, weighing the many years they had not seen each other, in their eyes a deeply ingrained complexity of emotion.

"Was it the Prince of Ning...no, the emperor?" Gao Qun's voice suddenly went cold, his coal black eyes burning dimly. "Sister, I guarantee he won't do anything like that in the future."

"I don't want there to be a future!" The empress, who had tried so hard to maintain her composure, suddenly broke down, tears rolling down her garment to drop on the child's face. The child starting crying. "It would have been better if those barbaric soldiers had killed me...at least I wouldn't have to lead this kind of life. One day I won't be able to take it anymore! He never regards me as his consort, he never even looks at me as human. Every day he beats me, did you know that? The dirty swine! If it goes on like this, the baby will be killed. He dotes on that Consort Qi, and wants to make her son the heir apparent. He even wants to kill my son! Little Brother, help me!" The empress eagerly looked to the young marshal for help.

"Sister. What do you want me to do?" Gao Qun asked, his head lowered, emphasizing each word, his eyes filled with a perplexed light. He already had an idea what her response would be.

"Kill him. I want my child to be emperor," Shuyu said, her voice shaking.

His eyes suddenly took on a grieved look. The young marshal raised his head and answered firmly, "I can't do that, Sister. On this point, no matter what, I can't comply. Not for that guy, but for the people. He can't die right now, Sister. If he dies, would his subordinates feel at ease offering up allegiance to a baby? There would be a power vacuum, and do you think all those princes, now quiet, wouldn't try to take advantage of that and stage a rebellion? The world is just now stabilizing. Sister, do you want to relive all that carnage and terror?"

"Little Brother..." She seemed surprised. Looking at the boy grown into a man before her, seeing the suffering in his eyes and his determined expression, seeing that he could carry the whole world on his shoulders, in the end, the empress' eyes grow blurry--where was the youth from five years ago? Who, though they hadn't known each other long, had risked his life to protect her amongst those barbaric soldiers?

"If the child is still too young, then you just seize power--actually, it's just to let you become emperor, so what's the problem? As long as that beast is not emperor, as long as my child is safe!" Shuyu spoke, heedless of everything, and grabbed his sleeves, her eyes holding a fervent light. "Could it be that...could it be that you would watch as mother and son die?

"I'm here. Sister, you two won't..."

He thought to placate her, but before he could finish his sentence, she interjected excitedly, "Little Brother, you could be emperor! Don't you want to change the world? Don't you want the people to lead peaceful, stable lives? If so, then use your abilities. Why should you be stuck underneath that dirty swine's thumb?"

Hearing Sister talk so recklessly, hearing her speak this way, Gao Qun was silent for a long time. Then he sighed and and slowly removed her hands from his sleeves. "Sister, living in this palace these past five years has really changed you--the previous you would never talk like that." Seeing the empress' look go from disappointed to despair, the marshal's look was also gradually pained, but he spoke as calmly as before. "Sister, I absolutely can't do it. He must remain firmly on the throne. He must stabilize the world."

"You won't help me?" Shuyu's eyes grew cold, and her voice was frigid, without hope. She looked at her child in Yan'er's arms beside her, and said slowly and clearly, "Even if you don't help me, I also have my own scheme." She lightly stroked the infant, her facing changing, and finally she turned her head and said indifferently, "That tea you just drank, I've already poisoned it. If there's a coup, and you aren't by my side, then don't blame me...for not giving you the antidote." Such soft, measured words must have been calculated. The empress did her best to maintain her indifference, but her voice still quivered.

Gao Qun pondered for a moment, then suddenly raised his head, his eyes like lightning striking her body, the corners of his mouth twitching slightly as if he wanted to say something, but in the end no words came out. His eyes flashed desolate, his smile resigned as he raised the tea cup from the table and through back the remaining tea in one swallow. He smiled. "Thank you for the tea. Sister, I must go." Then he turned and left, never looking back.

The sun had already descended behind the mountains. Treading the fallen leaves covering the ground was like walking over a field of fresh blood. Leaves floated down outside the palace, idly fluttering in the air. He felt a faint pain in his chest and he pressed his hand to his heart and reached out with his other to catch the falling wutong leaves--So fast. Was his life also about to wither like these leaves?

Little Brother, Little Brother! I'm not that important, and you're still young. You must survive! You're a boy now, but you'll grow to be a strong man...You mustn't die, you must do all you can to live... She had once pleaded with him in this way, once protected him, didn't hesitate to throw herself to the wolves. Her tears hitting his face made his blood boil. In the end, he had decided resolutely to entangle himself in the disputes of the world. He had wanted to be strong, strong so he could protect the people he wanted to protect, and raise her to a position of admiration throughout the world.

In his reverie, he remembered the indistinct scent of jasmine, her eyes brimming with tears even as she smiled at him. Sister, Sister...the poison gradually took effect and his vision blurred, his steps becoming heavier and heavier, and he staggered forward. When he pushed open the door to his Marshal Headquarters, his servants cried out in alarm, and he slumped to the floor.

to be continued...

Default Shattered Dawn

Shattered Dawn

"Marshal, Marshal, wake up!" It was like he had spent ten million years in perpetual sleep, then was suddenly jolted awake. He opened his eyes and quickly scanned his surroundings. He was still at Headquarters--he was still alive?

"Marshal! Something happened last night in the Forbidden Palace..." The captain of the Imperial Guards stood off to the side anxiously, his brow beaded with sweat, clutching the marshal's combat uniform in his hands. "Last night, the emperor and the empress were drinking and admiring the moon at Longevity Palace long into the night. Maybe they drank too much, but they were leaning on the balustrade admiring the osmanthus blossoms, when suddenly they lost their footing and fell from the terrace!" By the time the captain was finished he was already dressed in his battle uniform, and the captain informed him, "Your tally is in the jade box."

"Dispatch this order immediately: gather all the troops inside the city and station them inside and outside the Forbidden Palace, in case of emergency." Though his face pale, his orders were firm and controlled. "Also, get a fast horse and dispatch this urgent order to all the garrisons: immediately institute a curfew, and if put down any indication of unrest."

"Yes, sir!" The captain received his orders and withdrew. The marshal threw on his uniform and hurried out of the office and mounted a fast horse prepared earlier and led the Imperial Guard in a mad dash for the Forbidden Palace.

Outside it was already daybreak, pale light shining hazily, the open country silent and still, the only sound that of horse hooves smashing against the pale dawn. The open country wind whistled past in the the dim early morning light, and it suddenly hit him.

It wasn't poison. She hadn't poisoned him from the beginning. The words she had spoken were words from a desperate individual making a last effort, but he hadn't yielded. She couldn't kill him so heartlessly, she had only used knockout drops to put him out temporarily so that he couldn't interfere with her plan.

Your Sister is a really bad person, again requesting something you won't be able to refuse to bind you up, Little Brother. The child is so small, please keep him by your side and treat him and look after him as your own child until he is grown big enough to take care of himself. After he's grown, if he is tyrannical like his father, or if he is weak like his mother, please don't hesitate to dismiss him. Take this world in your hands and--please--do this for me. This life is just like that. But in the next life, I would rather not be rich, in such a high position, wielding power and influence over the rivers and mountains. As long as I can live peacefully and grow old together with my loved one, that's my wish...it's just a pity, Little Brother, that you never understood.

After he had finished reading the letter that Yan'er had secretly delivered, the young marshal smiled bitterly, but shed no tears. The dawn rays of the sun shone through, spreading bright scarlet light over the pale earth.

Officials of all rank and description heard the sad news and hurried over. On the bier lay the empress, splendidly attired, calmly sunk in sleep, her brow no longer wrinkled with worry and struggle, just forever sunk in sleep. Beside her stood her maidservant, holding the crown prince, just over a year old, crying quietly. The empress had treated people gently and kindly; all the palace servants attending her felt in their hearts that she was exceedingly friendly.

But, the youthful empress was dead, leaving the small crown prince an orphan.

Only, I don't want to be empress...A small wooden house would be fine. With an open space in front, where I can grow many kinds of flowers and raise little chickens and ducklings. I'll have a bunch of cute children. I'll wait for them to return every day before the sun sets below the mountain, and we'll sit at the table and eat together food I prepared with my own hands...

So that was Sister's wish? She didn't need the prince's help to realize her dream, which had nothing to do with attaining high rank. It was just the ordinary wish of an ordinary person, a wish that even that little inn servant could have fulfilled. All these fond dreams, shattered. He suddenly understood.

"I'm sorry, Sister. I'm truly sorry...I focused only on helping the Prince of Ning unify the country and put an end to those troubled times so that everyone could live peacefully. I always thought the crown of the empress was the greatest gift I could give you. But I was wrong--that would never have made you happy, and it ultimately led you down a path from which there was no return. I'm the bad one. And I didn't really do it for your happiness, but for my own beliefs, pursuing worldly things, and using you to help me accomplish it--and I treated the Prince of Ning the same way. So, I'm the real sinner..." As the tears rolled down his cheeks, he paid no attention to the surprised looks of those around him. He took the crown prince from the servant and carefully embraced him and kissed his little forehead. The dawn rays gently enveloped the child's innocent face.

"I hope that in the future, this child won't have to suffer the pain you and I went through; and all his subjects, the officials and the common people, they also won't have to suffer such displacement..." In the gradually brightening dawn, the young marshal who held military power over Heaven and Earth held the future sovereign as he mumbled to himself before the child's mother's funeral bier--"Child, do you know what life is?"

"The course of a person's life is like a spirit coming to earth, suffering, then dying. But because he works hard, because he suffers so much throughout his life, future generations won't have to..."

THE END