Thread: Abortion

Default Abortion

I know we have all heard this many times but just wanted to know how you all feel about abortion since lately a lot of people seem to be bringing up the topic again. Are you for Abortion or against it?

I am for abortion in cases of: rape, incest, the health of the mother at risk, the baby is not healthy.

I am against abortion in case of consensual sex and both the mother and baby are healthy.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I am for abortion in cases of: rape, incest, the health of the mother at risk, the baby is not healthy.

I am against abortion in case of consensual sex and both the mother and baby are healthy.
    Please elaborate on what you mean by 'the baby is not healthy'? Do you mean if the child has some inherited disorder/disability then they lose the right to live?

I personally do not agree with abortion unless there is a threat to the mother's life. Whatever the circumstance to the child's conception it is still an innocent life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Please elaborate on what you mean by 'the baby is not healthy'? Do you mean if the child has some inherited disorder/disability then they lose the right to live?
    If the baby is handicapped, mentally retarded, will be a special needed person when growing up, serious sickness, etc, then it's up to the mother to decide.

I personally do not agree with abortion unless there is a threat to the mother's life. Whatever the circumstance to the child's conception it is still an innocent life.
    What about in case of rape? The baby is still innocent.

If the baby is handicapped, mentally retarded, will be a special needed person when growing up, serious sickness, etc, then it's up to the mother to decide.
    So you see the lives of the above as having less value then others?
    What about in case of rape? The baby is still innocent.
    Yes, the guilt lies with the father not the baby.

So you see the lives of the above as having less value then others?
    It's up to the mother to decide, not my decision to make. If I was the baby with disability/disease, I would not want to be born. I would not want to live a life full of suffering.

Yes, the guilt lies with the father not the baby.
    It's up to the mother to decide, not my decision to make. I would not blame women who do not want carry of a baby of her rapist.

I am against abortion in the case of consensual sex and both the mother and her baby are healthy. I am also against abortion in the case of sex selected abortion. It's wrong to abort just because the baby is not the desired gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    It's up to the mother to decide, not my decision to make. If I was the baby with disability/disease, I would not want to be born. I would not want to live a life full of suffering.

It's up to the mother to decide, not my decision to make. I would not blame women who do not want carry of a baby of her rapist.

I am against abortion in the case of consensual sex and both the mother and her baby are healthy. I am also against abortion in the case of sex selected abortion. It's wrong to abort just because the baby is not the desired gender.
    Your views on the disabled are very old fashioned. Just look at all the paralympians. They all suffered in their lives but through their strength of character all of them have lead full lives. While I do not doubt that most of them would have rather been born without their disability, I don't think any of them would have not wanted to live at all.

The debate of mother's right to choose and child's right to live is an aged old one and I doubt we will ever resolve it. On a practical level the mother will always have the last word as to whether the child is brought to term, as the only way to force the matter is to strap the mother to a bed until after the birth. On a personal moral level I do not agree with abortion unless the mother's life is at risk.

If the mother does not want the child she can give it up for adoption, but the child has no choice as to how it was conceived and so should not be punished for a crime that was not theirs.
    Last edited by Mandred Skavenslayer; 11-06-16 at 10:24 AM.

Your views on the disabled are very old fashioned. Just look at all the paralympians. They all suffered in their lives but through their strength of character all of them have lead full lives. While I do not doubt that most of them would have rather been born without their disability, I don't think any of them would have not wanted to live at all.

The debate of mother's right to choose and child's right to live is an aged old one and I doubt we will ever resolve it. On a practical level the mother will always have the last word as to whether the child is brought to term, as the only way to force the matter is to strap the mother to a bed until after the birth. On a personal moral level I do not agree with abortion unless the mother's life is at risk.

If the mother does not want the child she can give it up for adoption, but the child has no choice as to how it was conceived and so should not be punished for a crime that was not theirs.
    Everyone is different. In the case that the baby has disabilities, it's up to the mother to decide, not my decision to make. Again, if I was that disabled child, I would want my mom to abort me. I would not want to live a life full of pain. Even being healthy, life is not that great to begin with. In case of rape, it's only common sense that the victim wants an abortion.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 11-07-16 at 01:54 AM.

I don't disagree with abortion because some people are just not ready to be parents and even if you force them to keep the kid as a single parent, the child might still have a life of neglect or even abuse depending on how irresponsible the parent(s) is/are. And even more so in the case of rape/incest, you can't force a life of trauma upon the mother has to be reminded of her abuse every time she looks at her child. There are always exceptions where a mother can overlook the hate with love for her child and both can be happy together which is a great thing, but you can't expect it from everyone.

And some people get pounced by unforeseen circumstances where they cannot afford to emotionally or financially support a child, e.g they have cancer or some other health conditions that will be aggravated by pregnancy, sudden bankruptcy, etc. And some people still naturally get pregnant in their 50's, and if they think that they are too old, then it is their choice.

My main problem is with perfectly healthy people who are married or committed as a couple, but choose to definately not to have a child as they enjoy being childless, yet choose not have the snip and prefer to have abortions everytime instead. If they want to kill their own health with repeated surgeries, that is fine but to knowingly allow a child to be created then kill it is just cruel and unnecessary when you prevent it all together with the snip.

Whether a person is single or married, you can still be able to groom yourself to be a good parent as long as you prioritise correctly. Often people who are think they are not ready actually find they make quite good parents after making some sacrifices and adjustments to their lifestyles, and of course with support from family or friends. But for people who are not financially stable, no family or friends to support them or do not have a good health etc, then life can be hard for them if they do decide to carry a child into the world and having an abortion may be a better longterm choice for them.

I don't have a problem with abortions as long as the parent(s) have a good long think about it and have explored all possible options and consequences before making the big decision. Most of the time, it is a very traumatic thing to go through and mental scars can last way after the actual surgery. It should not be seen as an easy way out and I hope people will reflect on their sexual behaviour and contraceptive methods.

In regards to the child having some genetic abnormality, it is up to the parents on whether they can handle it. I know a family who have had three kids with genetic abnormalities that have led to severe retardation and breathing/eating problems, but they still decide to have a fourth kid. For me, I would have probably chosen to have surgery after the first one as well as get genetically tested so I can devote all my resources to my child. But then if the parents are comfortable with taking care of four disabled children so they are loved and cared for and they have the financial means to do so, then I don't see why other people should judge their decision.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I always did wonder what if the parents cannot financially support the child. I have heard people say that if parents cannot afford to bring a child to this world, they should get their tubes tied.

In cases of rape, I'm not against abortion as a child would enter a world without love.

I totally agree with you.

I think this is a murder!

It depends.