Thread: Did Yin Li Survive in the earliest version of HSDS?

Default Did Yin Li Survive in the earliest version of HSDS?

I'm trying to find this out. Online versions of Jin Yong's works seem to indicate that Yin Li's meeting with ZWJ at the end has been there since the first edition of HSDS, and so this was always the official version of the story. But I'm being told that the online version of the first edition of Jin Yong's work that I've read, isn't the actual first edition of Jin Yong's work, and that there are a bunch of changes that can't be found online.

The 1986 adaptation of HSDS, which is probably the most famous, leaves this meeting out, such that Yin Li actually dies on the island, which changes her character completely. I'm wondering whether this is because the show is based on an earlier version of the written work, or because like many of the older adaptations it simply decided to change the story for purposes of better drama.

Yin Li surviving has been there since the first edition of HSDS. The 1986 TVB adaptation is based on the second edition, going by various details such as the name of Yin Li's poison skill, Wuji's behaviour when young etc.

In that case, the 1986 version removing the final meeting between her and ZWJ was, by design, a change from the book, right? Was any reason ever given for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverlake View Post
    In that case, the 1986 version removing the final meeting between her and ZWJ was, by design, a change from the book, right? Was any reason ever given for it?
    Well it didn't make much sense that she was able to stalk people much stronger than her, and then disappear instantly once anyone felt suspicious -- her not dying was pretty weird and I think it makes more sense if she did.