Thread: Helpful Hints

Talking Helpful Hints

Hi Everyone,

This is just a small suggestion of mine, not a rule to be forced onto people here.

I just think that maybe we all can consider this when we create a new thread.

When creating a new thread, think of a short/straight to the point subject title because sometimes those long, long, long titles can be somewhat irritating.

Like for example someone would create a thread and they'd have the question in the subject title and the content is very short or close to nothing.

People will still read it if the subject title is short and straight to the central point of the topic you are wanting to discuss. You don't need to have this long question or title to get people's attention, any title that displays the main idea is good enough, in my opinion.

Just my two cents.

I think it would look neater and not so cluttered.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 11-06-03 at 12:56 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

yeah I'd prefer subject lines that give a brief discriptive title about what the thread is about

Default The "Quote" button . . . a debater's best friend.

Howdy, folks.

If it's not already part of your everyday discussion habits, I'd like to recommend for all of you to try using the Quote function (found in the lower right hand corner of your screen at this forum) when quoting the statements of other posters. This makes discussions much easier to follow, and will give readers greater incentive to follow your contributions all the way through.

It took me like 5-6 months to actually find out that there was a quote button. Before that, I just wondered howcome those guy's quotes has the identifications on them.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Ken, I notice on some of the posts, the quote has a heading "originally posted by ...." How can I insert that part into the quote?

Originally posted by Condor83
    Ken, I notice on some of the posts, the quote has a heading "originally posted by ...." How can I insert that part into the quote?
    It should be automatically inserted when you click on the "Quote" button/icon located under each posting, next to "Edit" button/icon.
    Last edited by rabadi; 03-18-04 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks rabadi. I had never noticed there was a quote button at the bottom of the message.

Quoting is convenient, but please do not quote a huge block of text, or big images.

Bad example:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...&threadid=6927

-> superboy quoting a huge post from Ken Cheng.

Use common sense please, people. What's the point of quoting lots of things from other people while only giving a one line comment ? In the above example, we've already read the content of the post from Ken Cheng, we don't need to see the bloody thing again (waste of time scrolling thru it) quoted by superboy.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I don't find it that annoying.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

oooooooohhhhhh! There was a quote button. I never realised. Hehe . Evidently, I'm a newbie. Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to use it next time!
    Pharmacy NOT Chemist.
    Pharmacist = The Drug Expert
    Chemist = Who Knows! Who CARES!

but sometimes you just have to quote large amounts om messages
    This is a plea to whom ever is in-charge of wuxiapedia to update the translations into it (or else start trying to get permission to put the content from the translators/editors).

thankxxx

Every Forum software I've ever seen has a quote option and it's almost always in the same place. But then I guess that I too was ignorant of all things "internet", as I am still with all things Wuxia.

Can someone teach me how to reply to only 'a part' of the original post with a quote?

For example, the post would be "The wind is strong and cold today, but I really like this gloomy weather." I only want to reply to "I really like this gloomy weather" and put it in quotes. But when I click "reply with quote" it takes the whole thing.
    Simon the Snowblower.
    Check out hilarious Jin Yong Adaptations' bloopers!

Quote Originally Posted by Yuet Thi View Post
    Can someone teach me how to reply to only 'a part' of the original post with a quote?

For example, the post would be "The wind is strong and cold today, but I really like this gloomy weather." I only want to reply to "I really like this gloomy weather" and put it in quotes. But when I click "reply with quote" it takes the whole thing.
    Just delete the parts you don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Just delete
    I tried this before and it didn't work. It ended up all messed up. But now it works! Thanks
    Simon the Snowblower.
    Check out hilarious Jin Yong Adaptations' bloopers!

woah strong necro
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

hello to everyone.