Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Smiling, Proud Wanderer 2017 《笑傲江湖》 Ding Guan Sen, Xue Hao Jing

The fact that made XWT a traitor blew my mind. He's meant to be hella loyal to RWX to death and here he is backstabbing and stuff. I like the changes in the 2012 version; the changes in this version a lot less. I've really struggled to be invested in the LFH/DFBB storyline and with LHC looking and acting like a pleb, not seeing crazy LPZ hunt down his foes and many other issues I've got with the series, I'd give it a 6/10.

A mess of a show that's "loosely" based on the books but never the less I've enjoyed watching it for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Everything will end tomorrow. We hit 10 pages vis-a-vis 100+ for the latest LOCH.
    How many stars will you give to this series?
    Perhaps 2.5 or 3 out of 5 stars. Learning that it’ll end soon has actually made me a bit sad. I think despite the flaws, all in all it’s been enjoyable for me. I’ve found myself looking forward to new episodes and also have enjoyed its behind-the-scene and other fun videos/pics.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by some of the fights.

I like the fresh, young leading cast. And their natural performances. Some more than others but still ok overall.

The colour palette, makeup, costumes, hair, scenery, sets, locations, etc all look ok to me as well. Music too.

I don’t like many of the changes made to the story but have tried to make the best of it. I only like the Xiao Ao Jiang Hu part of the show. I’ve been trying to block out that Ren Feifei/Yang Lianting bit and skipping the LFH/DFBB/Black Wood Cliff parts altogether.

I think to me, this is better than the ones by Zhang Ji Zhong and TVB. Not that those were bad or anything, but by the time I realised that I liked the Xiao Ao Jiang Hu story, those productions were simply too old to be enjoyable. Their cinematography, makeup, etc felt dated, unfortunately.

OT: The scene I loved most was when she drew darts at OYF to "protect" GJ in the first duel between OYK and GJ for her hand in marriage. Very classy. Possibly fight-wise, she can be regarded as the best HR in LOCH.
    👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Bob View Post
    not seeing crazy LPZ hunt down his foes and many other issues I've got with the series, I'd give it a 6/10.

A mess of a show that's "loosely" based on the books but never the less I've enjoyed watching it for the most part.
    Ooh yes, would be nice to have that LPZ part.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Yang View Post
    I say 'Yes' (since I have been watching it right now), but consider this drama as "a comedy or entertaining show".
    As a comedy! That’s just sad ha.

saw the preview for last 2 episodes

lin ping zhi not blind (yet) ...... YBQ dead at ep36

dfbb ascend the throne in girly outfit in last episode 37 ... that's quite late
    Last edited by krabs; 04-02-18 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by krabs View Post
    saw the preview for last 2 episodes

lin ping zhi not blind (yet) ...... YBQ dead at ep36

dfbb ascend the throne in girly outfit in last episode 37 ... that's quite late
    Can’t wait.

Only five episodes left, sadly. After them, I’m not going to have anything else to look forward to for a while.

Thanks krabs for the update. At least, the story did not end with all sects reconcile, all happy and send back to original places.

Anyway, like those who have contributed, I gave this series 3 stars out of 5.
    What I like:
    1. The story is overall entertaining. I am able to follow majority of the episodes.
    2. "RYY" acts well. I think she is the savior for this series.
    3. The scenery and costumes are nice. Though some scenes may be fake. E.g. the part whereby Shaolin abbot, Wudang priest and LHC looking at the mountains/clouds at Heng Mountain.

What I dislike:
    1. "LHC" definitely looks too young. I dislike the part whereby he and XWT went to the manor to rescue RWX. He looked like a "page" boy/servant.
    2. The series is definitely a great discredit/insult to XWT and to a certain extent, the "humpback" character.
    3. The fight choreography can be better in certain scenes. E.g. at Shaolin temple between LHC and YBQ. The scene is indeed somewhat 'cartoonist" when both of them are running up the stairs. Remember they are "wulin experts".

Quote Originally Posted by poppies View Post
    Can’t wait.

Only five episodes left, sadly. After them, I’m not going to have anything else to look forward to for a while.
    Only CDramas I watch are JY ones for nostalgia reasons, so I guess HSDS is the next one to look forward to.

The fight choreography can be better in certain scenes. E.g. at Shaolin temple between LHC and YBQ. The scene is indeed somewhat 'cartoonist" when both of them are running up the stairs. Remember they are "wulin experts".
    Tbh I think that whilst they went back to more realistic swordplay and not ridiculous CGI which is good, one of the most underwhelming aspects of the fighting in this series is that the majority of the strongest fighters look weak as a normal pleb and the moves don't match with what they're supposed to do. E.g. DG9J is supposed to be constant attack, super fast moves where the theory of no stance beats any stance but here, LHC looks pathetically weak and slow and is constantly defending instead of demonstrating a flurry of attacks to overwhelm the opponent.

One more episode - will there be a final showdown between LHC and DFBB?

Quote Originally Posted by poppies View Post
    Can’t wait.

There is HSDS coming up. But, I doubt I will watch it as the storyline should be the same.

Is there any spoiler for DFBB&LFH's ending

P/S: I'm looking forward to HSDS, too. It is my 2nd all time fav novel of JY. Now all i can do is praying they keep the storyline as LOCH 2017 did.

spoiler .... by using a bug to fast forward scroll the VIP restricted video

DFBB died in a ball of fire after hug and sweet memories of LFH

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://i.imgur.com/FgEN1Ju.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://i.imgur.com/NF82qAX.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://i.imgur.com/RudtOe2.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://i.imgur.com/GIAZMJd.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://i.imgur.com/W599uOP.jpg')

spoiler .... by using a bug to fast forward scroll the VIP restricted video
    Thanks krabs. I know they will go to the end like this, but it's still sad...
    At least I enjoy watching DFBB ver 2018 instead of the one in 2013.

Ended. It's strange that LHC noted that the other sect leaders have all been killed in the cave fighting. I did not see any of the chiefs there. Am I wrong?
    So, everyone presume that LHC has died with the exception of RYY?
    Is there any need to use back the "humpback" character as the pistol/bomb seller?

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Yang View Post
    Thanks krabs. I know they will go to the end like this, but it's still sad...
    At least I enjoy watching DFBB ver 2018 instead of the one in 2013.
    Yes, agreed with you that it's quite sad that many died in this story.

I have two other questions:
    1. Was it explained how YBQ killed the two senior nuns?
    2. What happened to Lao Denuo, the Hua Sect betrayer, in the end?

I’ve just started on Ep 33, just watched YLS’s death. Those poor things.

I like the scene. The music, the flashbacks and the performance from the actress were all good to me.

I felt that the two guys overacted a bit here. Especially the LHC actor.

I don’t like this change in the story. It made LHC the reason she died. For had he not swooped in supposedly like a hero saving the day…

LPZ seems to be teetering on the brink of insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Bob View Post
    Tbh I think that whilst they went back to more realistic swordplay and not ridiculous CGI which is good, one of the most underwhelming aspects of the fighting in this series is that the majority of the strongest fighters look weak as a normal pleb and the moves don't match with what they're supposed to do. E.g. DG9J is supposed to be constant attack, super fast moves where the theory of no stance beats any stance but here, LHC looks pathetically weak and slow and is constantly defending instead of demonstrating a flurry of attacks to overwhelm the opponent.
    Exactly.

Is DG9J just LHC standing and pointing or slashing or poking the sword at his opponents’ various fatal spots? If so, it might end up being boring if filmed exactly as described in the book.

1. "LHC" definitely looks too young. I dislike the part whereby he and XWT went to the manor to rescue RWX. He looked like a "page" boy/servant.
    Too young indeed. Everyone else in the show looks older than him.

Have not completed the last episode yet ,
    but I don't like the scriptwriter making DFBB "it's all part of my plan" in the last 10% of the story.

There weren't any clues in the earlier 30 episodes , with plotholes that doesn't match.
    Example him crying badly over his godfather Qu Yang. Risking his life to save RWX in the snow. His poison not activating during final fight against RWX.

I have two other questions: 1. Was it explained how YBQ killed the two senior nuns? 2. What happened to Lao Denuo, the Hua Sect betrayer, in the end?
    Formless sword Qi

LDN died when ZuoLengChan pulled him to block a dart from LFH when she came to steal the BX manual.

Formless sword Qi

LDN died when ZuoLengChan pulled him to block a dart from LFH when she came to steal the BX manual.
    Thanks, krabs.
    And yes, my poor memory for my second question.

Some good fighting in the last episode.