Thread: "Coming from you, that's a compliment" moments in wuxia

Default "Coming from you, that's a compliment" moments in wuxia

What are some notable moments in wuxia of a character seemingly insulting another character, but when you think about who's saying it and how, it's almost a backhanded compliment?

Here's one that comes to mind: in the first LUK SIU FUNG story (THE GOLDEN ROC KINGDOM'S TREASURE), Ngor Mei Sect acolyte Soo Siu Ying challenges Sai Mun Chui Sheut. Upon seeing Soo pick up his sword, SMCS turns away in disgust and remarks, "Seeing how you carry your sword, you MIGHT be able to pose me a serious challenge in about twenty years."

Taken at face value, SMCS's remark sounds like a terrible insult, and that's how SSY took it. When you think about it though, the very fact that SMCS thought that SSY could legitimately challenge him after putting in twenty more years of serious training was a compliment. Considering it was SMCS who said that, the very idea that he would say someone could someday pose him a challenge is a very high compliment indeed. Perhaps 99% of wulin swordsmen would never, ever be able to pose any real challenge to SMCS no matter how many decades they dedicated to training.

What other moments like this do you recall from wuxia fiction?

When MRB's mom said: "look, that gentleman has achieved 30% mastery of Vajra Finger" (which was in inflated estimate). 30% seems low until you consider that Shaolin's top IE =~ 9 Yang, and Vajra Finger certainly has the sound of a top art (72 Arts level). Not saying VF =~ 9 Yang, but it shouldn't be far behind. And the head of Kunlun Sect only reached 25% mastery of Liangyi Sabre, another top Chinese art. So 30% of VF could be as good as the esteemed head of the 3rd major "orthodox" sect during a highly competitive period in wulin (IIRC it was said Kunlun > Emei in prestige).
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    What other moments like this do you recall from wuxia fiction?
    Repeated trick of Gu Long.

Hard to believe some stormtrooper cannon fodder could match Yan 13 in 3 years though.

Guanwai Feiying, Qing Fengjian, and Iron Sword Zhen Sanshan, these three first-class swordsmen in Jianghu, had all in the blink of an eye died under Yan Shisan’s sword.

Cao Bing’s hands were ice cold. He lifted his head and then saw Yan Shisan was already standing far away underneath that ancient tree.

The killing sword had returned to its sheath.

Cao Bing gripped his hands tightly and said, “You…”

Yan Shisan interrupted him, “I don’t want to kill you yet!”

Cao Bing asked, “Why?”

Yan Shisan replied, “Because I want to give you another chance to kill me.”

The green veins on Cao Bing’s hand were bulging. The sweats on his forehead were like beans. He could not accept such an opportunity. This was an insult. However, he also did not want to give up this opportunity.

Yan Shisan continued, “Go back and practice sword skills for three years, then come back and kill me.”

Cao Bing clenched his teeth.

Yan Shisan continued, “Diancang’s swordplay is really not bad. As long as you’re willing to practice, then you’ll surely have a chance.”

Cao Bing suddenly asked, “What if you have already died under someone else’s sword three years later?”

Yan Shisan smiled, “Then you can go kill the person who killed me.”

Can Bing bitterly replied, “You better take care, and better not die!”

Yan Shisan said, “I also hope that would be the case!”
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

The one that sticks in my mind is in TVB's 'Unnatural born killer' (十三密殺令). When the 'Sword devil' first encountered the 'Human' assassin, he said "Your martial arts are... very ordinary." When the assassin was understandably miffed, he added "That's a compliment, I very rarely complement people".

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    The one that sticks in my mind is in TVB's 'Unnatural born killer' (十三密殺令). When the 'Sword devil' first encountered the 'Human' assassin, he said "Your martial arts are... very ordinary." When the assassin was understandably miffed, he added "That's a compliment, I very rarely complement people".
    What is this story about? never heard of it, sounds interesting.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    What is this story about? never heard of it, sounds interesting.
    It's been twenty years, so my memory is hazy but...

The main antagonist is Yan Shifan (a historical figure, known for his corruption and debauchery) who keeps a group of thirteen assassins, one for each of the 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac, headed by a 'human' assassin. The 'human' assassin was sent to assassinate the family of a virtuous official, but as he was striking the final blows, he was struck by a bout of conscience and fled, abandoning his current life.

He met a couple with epic-level martial arts - the 'Sword Devil' and 'Sabre God' - who had become estranged due to the loss of their daughter. The 'Sabre God' accepted him as a student and taught him her special martial art, the 'Heart Sutra of the Nine Heavens Mysterious Lady'. He also met with the surviving son of the family he assassinated, and they became close friends (not least because the assassin's guilt drove him to help out at any cost) while keeping his own origins a secret.

Yan Shifan continued to send the assassins after them, then attacked himself (he was a practitioner of the 'Ultimate Demon art', but luckily the perfected Heart Sutra was its black star), and were ultimately defeated.

The assassin's past eventually became known to the son, and he challenged the assassin to a duel after Yan Shifan and the assassins were dealt with. The assassin (who by this time was the top fighter in the world) threw the fight, but the son held back on a killing blow.