Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of followup

Default Lack of followup

It's just funny how people start something and never manage to finish it. This is what happens when passion fades and they find out that they're not as capable as what they think they were.

Quote Originally Posted by drjqool
    It's just funny how people start something and never manage to finish it. This is what happens when passion fades and they find out that they're not as capable as what they think they were.
    Translations are 100% voluntary ... you should be grateful that any of these works are being translated in the first place. Translators devote their own time and efforts into something they are not being paid or compensated for whatsoever. Posts like these will just discourage people who do translate because they will feel that readers like you expect their total devotion in time and effort, and that the work that they HAVE done is not appreciated whatsoever.

Hmm... luckily this is the only post I've seen showing this kind of attitude.

I've had so much fun reading all the available translations in this forum that I don't feel anything but respect and gratefulness to all of you guys (and gals) that made this possible. I've tried to do translations myself and I know it's a really painful/very time consuming process. drjqool, you shouldda realized this before posting such nonsense... if you really want to get to the end, stop whinning and be productive!. Learn chinese/help translate some of the novels here.. it's probably going to be helpful to know some chinese later on and you can give back to the community for all the free fun you've had so far.

Axel
    Last edited by s4life; 03-11-05 at 03:59 PM.

Thank you for all the translators.
    Just disregard the comment above. Not worthy to be read, actually.

Default thanks for all translator

whether it finish or not we are very grateful for the translation
    those who cannot appreciate it, should not join this forum

Agreed with all of the above, except the first guy.

Hahahahahaha!

Speechless.

I'm going to be a devil advocate here.
    Let's admit it drjqoll is definitely one of us.
    He won't say something like that if he doesn't have passion reading the translation.
    I'm begging my mother in law to teach me chinese. She kept telling me how difficult that is.
    In another hand, it's difficult to find someone that know chinese, english, passion on Wuxia
    and also has compassion to addicts like us so they are willing to spend their valuable time
    to give us a shot. So, let's just enjoy what we have.
    An Empty Drum makes the loudest noise

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

To be honest, that person is right. Speaking for myself now, I really do not have the time, nor the energy/passion to finish the Legendary Siblings translation.
    There are too many things which have a higher priority in my life at this moment, my new job (and most important..... I am in love). So, I am sorry but my readers are not my first priority here . However, Mr. Right does have that privilege, I am afraid.

Anyhow, I will translate the so-called deleted parts of the Legendary Siblings. Certain passages that have been omitted in newer prints of the Legendary Siblings and can be considered lost to most readers. If I have anything to do with it, I will not let those passages to be fallen into oblivion.
    Last edited by Athena; 03-12-05 at 06:35 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Default thanks athena

dear athena,
    thank you for doing the translation..
    posting or translating here should not become first priority
    enjoy and have a happy romantic love

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    There are too many things which have a higher priority in my life at this moment, my new job (and most important..... I am in love). So, I am sorry but my readers are not my first priority here . However, Mr. Right does have that privilege, I am afraid.
    Hehe, that's sweet. I'm glad you found your Mr.Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    So happy for you, sweetie!
    玉木宏

blog

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Thanks beautysword, Tigerwong and Junny!
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Any of you who have translated anything are rock stars as far as I'm concerned, regardless of whether or not you manage to finish anything. To those of you who have translated multiple chapters of various wuxia books, you are awesome. If you manage to translate, more, rad. If not, then you still have my heartfelt thanks!

Yeah, I have to agree with Athena and the first poster. It seems like translators just lose their interest in translating. That's perfectly understandable, but it leaves a desire to be fufilled for the reader when that happens. I think it's much better for the reader to just learn the language or for translators to translate short requested parts. Better yet, do what the normal translators do. Don't let the public know about your translations until it's complete. No offence to other translators, but it seems to me like the only ones who'll ever finish translating a book (other than Athena who's already done it) are Lanny and Noodles.

Oh congrats to my former cyber wife Athena for being enamored by her new guy.

Athena, why don't you do what I did? Why don't you put up a pic of you and your lover as part of your avatar rather than a drawing of XNL. I love my fiance dearly and that is why I put up our pic as part of my avatar. (oh yeah, her name is the same as Guo Jing's wife "WY", except with a different surname).

Quote Originally Posted by zhaozilong44
    Yeah, I have to agree with Athena and the first poster. It seems like translators just lose their interest in translating. That's perfectly understandable, but it leaves a desire to be fufilled for the reader when that happens. I think it's much better for the reader to just learn the language or for translators to translate short requested parts. Better yet, do what the normal translators do. Don't let the public know about your translations until it's complete. No offence to other translators, but it seems to me like the only ones who'll ever finish translating a book (other than Athena who's already done it) are Lanny and Noodles.

I disagree with this sentiment. Even if a translator only does a single chapter, there's still value in that. That's less work if someone else decides to pickup the translation. It's already happening with LOCH, ROCH, and Dagger Lee where the followup translators can build on what's already been done and don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by zhaozilong44
    Do you mean translators shouldn't bother putting up chapters at all then?

I think its better for the readers that any chapters that do get translated are released. Something is better than absolutely nothing at all. Since according to you, no books will ever get translated fully except Lanny and Noodles, and the rest of us shouldn't post anything unless its complete, then this Wuxia Translations forum would just be empty. Not good for the community, not good for anyone. Translators please don't listen to the advice given here, negative comments such as these are really pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    Do you mean translators shouldn't bother putting up chapters at all then?

I think its better for the readers that any chapters that do get translated are released. Something is better than absolutely nothing at all. Since according to you, no books will ever get translated fully except Lanny and Noodles, and the rest of us shouldn't post anything unless its complete, then this Wuxia Translations forum would just be empty. Not good for the community, not good for anyone. Translators please don't listen to the advice given here, negative comments such as these are really pointless.
    I agree. If only completed translations should be posted, then this forum will be pretty empty. Heck, Lanny's translation wouldn't be be up either since it's not finished. Translations should be posted to give non chinese readers the chance to read these great books. If they can't wait for the translators to translate them fast enough, then it is up to them to go learn chinese and finish the books themselves.

Also, if a translator doesn't have the time to finish the translations, there might be others who might want to continue in their paths, such as Bliss did with Sentimental Swordsmen, Ruthless Sword.

Translators, please don't get discourage from translating because of a few frustrated readers. I think the majority of the readers here will agree with me. Again, thanks to all the translators out there.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

fully agreed and wtf is it with this "cyber wife" - what!, no one want to bother with your private life in here